Forum Settings
Forums

Anime 'Bodacious Space Pirates' and Manga 'Hoshi wo Tsugu Mono' Win Seiun Award 2013

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 21, 2013 8:42 AM

Oct 2007
Yookobz said:
I'd think that the reason why many people dropped Bodacious Space Pirates was because it was aimed to the wrong audience. The story was good and stuff, but I would think that there would be a ton of fanservice.

Honestly I dropped it just because I found it kind of boring. One of the things I appreciated was the relative lack of fan service, but I don't think it did enough to make what should be interesting to me actually interesting. I totally respect that it had it's own internal science down pretty well (and maybe that's all it took in this case), that much was evident, just the portrayals of the bridge scenes like in the episodes I watched where they were dealing with hacking were so dispassionate and boringly read for by the VA's that it was hard to even be remotely interested in what they were discussing unlike a lot of other good sci-fi drama and bridge sequences. No real attempt at chemistry, no sense of duty or that they had to prove something to themselves despite what they say, no sense that they were dealing with a threat that needed to be taken seriously, it just didn't work for me at all because if the characters feel detached from the situation then so am I. If a shows not engaging at all it usual means I end up dropping it.

Anyway if that was really and truly the best that 2012 had to offer for Sci-Fi in Japan according to the audience then the genre is in more trouble than I thought.

icantfeelmyarms said:
Why? Space Pirates sucked ass.

Nobody cares what an obvious troll thinks trust me. You're not adding anything to the conversation.
PeacingOutJul 21, 2013 8:45 AM
Jul 21, 2013 9:28 AM

Apr 2010
Cashdaxxx said:
jugann said:
Damn, i've had Bodacious space pirates on hold for quite some time now, should get around to watching it.
Congrats for them winning though!!
I dropped it though. Was it really worth the watch?

Unless you're bored and got a lot of times on your hands, no, it's not worth the watch.

Jul 21, 2013 10:00 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
zensunni said:
zenjamibu said:
Congratulations, Bodacious Space Pirates! ^_^

I appreciated the story for what it is and not what other people expected it to be.

Exactly. What the story actually was, was good SF. That is why it won the award.

And for those that are doubting the legitimacy of the award for whatever reason, this is the Japanese Nebula Awards. The Nebula awards are one of the two top science fiction awards in the US, and this is the Japanese equivalent. If you go to the website posted by the OP, you will find that google translates the page as the Nebula award page. Any award voted on by members of a country's Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers organization is legit!

Wait a second, this is more like the Hugo award and not the Nebula. Regardless it's one of the most legitimate prizes. Many of my favorite series are Seiun winners (Crest of the Stars, LOGH, Guin Saga, etc.)

Kaioshin_Sama said:

Anyway if that was really and truly the best that 2012 had to offer for Sci-Fi in Japan according to the audience then the genre is in more trouble than I thought.

I think it's a matter of personal taste. For instance, I think about Madoka the same way you think about Mouretsu. However, I am not claiming the SF genre is dying.
wakka9caJul 21, 2013 10:05 AM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 21, 2013 10:02 AM

Jul 2009
Bodacious Space Pirates is garbage lololololol, then again that whole anime list is
Jul 21, 2013 11:01 AM

Sep 2011
negima is in there? Reaaaally...
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 21, 2013 8:28 PM

Sep 2012
wakka9ca said:
symbv said:
To be honest, I find Pirates to hook more of my attention and interest than LOGH - no, seriously I mean that. That said, LOGH does have the space to pan out the details which would be impossible to do for a midnight TV series like Pirates. That much I would agree.
Well, ironically, LOGH novels were also a Seiun Awards winner. I personally think that they both well deserve it.
I do not doubt LOGH is something worthy and great, and it is certain award deserving stuff. My point is that Pirates has me hooked more and sustained my interest longer and more consistently. To me, LOGH demands a lot of patience and commitment, and I am sure to some the effort taken to complete the journey is greatly rewarding. It is just that I cannot say that unequivocally for myself. That said, my comments are about the anime -- the novels might have been a different experience.

Detective said:
Bodacious Space Pirates is garbage lololololol, then again that whole anime list is
Perhaps you can suggest your own list of Science Fiction anime made in 2012 that is not garbage?
symbvJul 21, 2013 8:32 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 22, 2013 12:33 AM

Jun 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:

icantfeelmyarms said:

Nobody cares what an obvious troll thinks trust me. You're not adding anything to the conversation.

icantfeelmyarmsJul 22, 2013 3:23 AM
Jul 22, 2013 12:45 AM

May 2010
Cashdaxxx said:
jugann said:
Damn, i've had Bodacious space pirates on hold for quite some time now, should get around to watching it.

also had to drop it ..it was painful
Jul 22, 2013 7:55 PM

Oct 2007
icantfeelmyarms said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

icantfeelmyarms said:

I'd question how a picture meme response requires an edit but ultimately I rest my case.
Jul 23, 2013 2:43 AM

Jun 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
icantfeelmyarms said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

icantfeelmyarms said:

I'd question how a picture meme response requires an edit but ultimately I rest my case.

Jul 23, 2013 4:13 AM

Oct 2007
Glad to see they liked Rinne no Lagrange.

At the same time it is sad to see no mention of AKB0048.

Kerozinn said:
Cashdaxxx said:
jugann said:
also had to drop it ..it was painful
Dropped it as well, was too boring for me.
ProgeuszJul 23, 2013 4:18 AM
Jul 24, 2013 5:58 AM

Oct 2009
icantfeelmyarms said:

This. Thank you for telling the truth. I don't know why people are saying this is even close to being average or good.

Anyways, I tried my damn best to get through Mouretsu Pirates but it was so horrible I just couldn't take it anymore. How it won award is beyond me. Though, I do admit the 1st episode was good. xD
Jul 24, 2013 6:19 AM

Nov 2007
Tony777 said:
icantfeelmyarms said:

This. Thank you for telling the truth. I don't know why people are saying this is even close to being average or good.

Anyways, I tried my damn best to get through Mouretsu Pirates but it was so horrible I just couldn't take it anymore. How it won award is beyond me. Though, I do admit the 1st episode was good. xD

Opinion doesn't equal to fact. The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked exactly the same things... so I don't see why you are surprised that other people found Mouretsu Pirates something worth watching.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jul 24, 2013 10:43 PM

Dec 2012
Bodacious Space Pirates was simply terrible. It was one of the worst anime series I have ever had the sad task of reviewing and I frankly am shocked that it even got nominated. It has zero quality in any department, story was a hackneyed retelling of a mash of other stories, the characters were unappealing and frankly without interest and the main girl who becomes the captain of a looney crew of her classmates and others was trite, boring and frankly unbelievable in all ways. Eureka 7 2 was far better and indeed DID cover a lot of Sci Fi content and was much much better. I reviewed the nonimees and there wasn't much to choose from, but frankly this is not that much of a standard as there is a lot of fan input and that is hardly the best place to get a standard of quality. Sad day for any kind of anime award ..this one. And the title itself ..as translated was ridiculous, and another example of very poor translation quality control.

Please do not waste your time on this series.

Jul 24, 2013 11:04 PM

May 2012
To each his own. Some don't like it and some(like me) loved it.
Jul 24, 2013 11:09 PM
Nov 2008
For anime like Bodacious Space Pirates and Eureka Seven AO, as well as manga like Negima, to be nominated and win, it just means it must have been one hell of a slow 2012/2013 period for sci-fi in Japan.
Jul 24, 2013 11:16 PM

Dec 2011
wait.. how the heck eureka seven ao in there...
Jul 24, 2013 11:48 PM

Dec 2007
CrisGer_San_AA said:
Please do not waste your time on this series.

Considering you gave Divergence Eve a 10, I'll just assume that the tits just weren't big enough for you, hahaha.
Jul 25, 2013 12:25 AM

Sep 2012
CrisGer_San_AA said:
It has zero quality in any department,
This kind of horrible use of absolutist hyperbole language means your comment is purely just a rant and has zero value in the discussion of how good or bad Space Pirates is.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
1 hour ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.