Forum Settings
Forums

Football (Soccer) thread of the 2013-14 season

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (52) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 23, 2013 5:21 AM

Jan 2011
spyrocoot said:
Seikunai said:
Jealous that you guys have Bony.

I was so happy when I saw him pictured with our director and his agent holding up the Swansea shirt, I honestly couldn't believe we managed to sign him. I'm so excited to see him and Michu playing together!

what do you think about this lineup?:

vorm,
rangel, williams/jordi amat, chico, ben davies,
dyer, de guzman/britton, ki/jose canas/shelvey, routledge
michu/pablo
bony

any errors here?
Jul 23, 2013 5:33 AM

Oct 2010
minshady97 said:

what do you think about this lineup?:

vorm,
rangel, williams/jordi amat, chico, ben davies,
dyer, de guzman/britton, ki/jose canas/shelvey, routledge
michu/pablo
bony

any errors here?

Bear in mind that I've only seen the highlights of friendlies on YT, so I can't adequately judge the new players...

I'd use a 4-2-3-1 system like last season. Your GK and back four are pretty much spot on (although I will say that I think Tremmel was better last season than Vorm, and Taylor may be slightly better than Davies).

The midfield is a lot more difficult. I'm assuming Britton will be the main man in CDM, with Ki joining him. The wingers will probably be Pablo and Dyer (Dyer has looked very impressive during pre-season). CF behind the striker is a bit of a no brainer (Michu).

Finally, we have Bony as the striker.

The main GK, back four, CF and striker are pretty easy choices. The other four mids are a lot more difficult to choose when you'd have talent like Shelvey, Canas, De Guzman, Pozuelo and Routledge left out. Thankfully, with us being in Europe, we'll see all of them having plenty of game time :)
Jul 23, 2013 9:14 AM

Apr 2011
Seikunai said:
Ooooh, nice one Napoli. Hamsik, Higuain, Albiol, Cannavaro, Pepe Reina (loan), Inler and Jose Callejon. From being a bankrupt club last 2004 now they're here!

Is this true? Damn, my internet lag has cost me so much news about Liverpool. Guess that means the new keeper we bought (can't believe I've already forgotten his name) is gonna be put to good use while keeping Reina active. Going to be weird not seeing Reina shouting orders at the Liverpool defenders, though. It's gonna be even weirder not to see Jamie leading the back men.
Jul 23, 2013 10:02 AM

Feb 2013
Im getting a bit tired of all these papers putting lies everywhere
a Spanish news paper said that Bale to RM was a done deal ¬_¬
Jul 23, 2013 10:06 AM

Apr 2011
jnw93 said:
Im getting a bit tired of all these papers putting lies everywhere
a Spanish news paper said that Bale to RM was a done deal ¬_¬

Haha, do not trust any newspapers or any news channels. Unless it's confirmed on the official site, it's a lie. At least, that's what I learned over all these years of being a Liverpool fan. We get linked to anybody and everybody for some reason (and yet they all missed us signing Assaidi).
Jul 23, 2013 1:16 PM

Jul 2011
I'm so glad for my Milan... 0 new players

CSKA just said no for Honda...
Jul 23, 2013 2:33 PM

Jun 2013
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:
Ooooh, nice one Napoli. Hamsik, Higuain, Albiol, Cannavaro, Pepe Reina (loan), Inler and Jose Callejon. From being a bankrupt club last 2004 now they're here!

Is this true? Damn, my internet lag has cost me so much news about Liverpool. Guess that means the new keeper we bought (can't believe I've already forgotten his name) is gonna be put to good use while keeping Reina active. Going to be weird not seeing Reina shouting orders at the Liverpool defenders, though. It's gonna be even weirder not to see Jamie leading the back men.
Simon Mignolet
Jul 23, 2013 2:37 PM
Apr 2012
ainky said:

Unlucky, you'll get him in Jan for free. He just won't be eligible for the CL which would be a problem, thats if you even make it into the group stage though.
Jul 23, 2013 3:10 PM

Jul 2011
EighteenSky said:
ainky said:

Unlucky, you'll get him in Jan for free. He just won't be eligible for the CL which would be a problem, thats if you even make it into the group stage though.

Indeed, it's better for us don't play the CL this year.
Jul 23, 2013 3:10 PM

Sep 2011
So apparently Real Madrid is willing to pay 99 millions plus Fabio Coentrao for Gareth Bale...
If this is true it's fucking ridiculous.
Jul 23, 2013 3:52 PM

Oct 2010
Appel_stroop said:
So apparently Real Madrid is willing to pay 99 millions plus Fabio Coentrao for Gareth Bale...

Where did you even hear that? Real Madrid are known for paying ludicrous prices for their players but that's just pushing it.
Jul 23, 2013 3:57 PM

Mar 2012
Seikunai said:
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:

Simon Mignolet

Just call him Filet Mignon like I do. Works every time.
Jul 23, 2013 7:57 PM

Jan 2011
Appel_stroop said:

LOL thats the most ridiculous rumour i heard all summer. personally i favour real madrid in la liga but i want to see bale becoming a spurs legend
Jul 23, 2013 7:58 PM

Jan 2011
Official: Fiorentina signs Ilicic

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2013/07/23/4137956/official-ilicic-joins-fiorentina?ICID=OP

Look out, they could be the dark horses of serie a this season
Jul 24, 2013 1:21 AM

Jun 2013
Appel_stroop said:
Just a rumour. If that ever happens then holy shit. La Liga won't mean anything anymore.. Well, I really don't care. The only teams I care about are Chelsea and Hamburg SV. (Also Ajax and Olympique Marseille but I don't consider myself a "fan". I just like the teams.)
Jul 24, 2013 2:14 AM

Jun 2009
Bayern vs. Barcelona tonight.

Well, it's just a pre-season friendly but should be fun nonetheless.
Jul 24, 2013 2:22 AM

May 2013
Chelsea and Man City are so busy signing new players while my Man United are busy losing in pre-season matches.
Jul 24, 2013 3:34 AM

May 2013
FlameWingman21 said:
Chelsea and Man City are so busy signing new players while my Man United are busy losing in pre-season matches.

Well, it's always nice to see a Welbeck comedy football, isn't it?
Jul 24, 2013 3:39 AM

Feb 2013
FlameWingman21 said:
LoL
I cant wait for this new season
No Fergie time
no trophies
Jul 24, 2013 3:44 AM

May 2013
jnw93 said:
FlameWingman21 said:
LoL
No Fergie time
no trophies

It's not as if Ferguson is done with ManUnited...he's still their...ambassador, i think...i'm still sure he still gives Moyes a hand or two in tactics and training...
Jul 24, 2013 3:57 AM
Jan 2013
City will win the title this year along with a decent run in the Champions League and FA Cup. I know they've spent alot of money but now there squad to be fair is equal in the amount of experience compared to some of the other big clubs. Not too keen on the signing of Negredo already 27 years old and he isn't a CL "Pro" (meaning he doesn't have alot of experience in it) which would have justified the signing. None the less this years BPL will be one of the best because all of the "Big 3" clubs have had major changes.
Jul 24, 2013 4:16 AM

Jun 2013
Chelsea have completed the signing of Chilean U-20 footballer, Cristian Cuevas.

Don't know about this guy, but I hope he's good. I don't watch U-20 football.
Jul 24, 2013 6:35 AM

Apr 2011
Seikunai said:
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:

Simon Mignolet

Ah yes, that. The reports said that he is one of the best in BPL. I just hope he brought his form with him. And for God's sake, we're stuck with Jones as our back-up again.
Jul 24, 2013 7:10 AM

Jul 2011
Messi and Neymar will play today?
Jul 24, 2013 7:14 AM

May 2013
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:

Simon Mignolet

Ah yes, that. The reports said that he is one of the best in BPL. I just hope he brought his form with him. And for God's sake, we're stuck with Jones as our back-up again.

Is the Reina deal to Napoli official?
Jul 24, 2013 7:42 AM

Jun 2013
teddygamer said:
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:

Simon Mignolet

It's just a loan. But, yes.
Jul 24, 2013 8:12 AM

Jul 2011
teddygamer said:
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:
yhunata said:
Seikunai said:

Simon Mignolet

It's official today and also Higuain.
Jul 24, 2013 9:09 AM

Apr 2011
ainky said:

Unless they want to be humiliated (again), yes.
Jul 24, 2013 9:16 AM

Jun 2013
I'm ready to laugh at Arsenal fans again, hahaha!
Jul 24, 2013 10:12 AM

Sep 2011
yhunata said:
ainky said:

Unless they want to be humiliated (again), yes.
I think Bayern is still going to win though. Their form is great and they have an amazing squad.
Jul 24, 2013 10:31 AM

Jun 2009
Neymar isn't playing (just like every Barca player that was at the confed cup). Bayern has pretty much dominated the game so far but it's only 1-0 (a header by Lahm of all people) at half time.
Jul 24, 2013 10:33 AM

Sep 2011
What's Bayern's starting 11? Is Thiago playing? Götze?
Jul 24, 2013 10:35 AM

Jun 2009
Thiago is playing, just like he did in the previous two matches where he was really great. Götze isn't completely fit yet afaik.

It's:
Neuer
Alaba - Boateng - Dante - Rafinha
Kroos - Thiago - Lahm
Ribery - Müller - Robben
Jul 24, 2013 10:37 AM

Sep 2011
Schweinsteiger isn't starting? Is there any reason for that?
Jul 24, 2013 10:38 AM

Jun 2009
He had an operation just after the previous season finished, so he isn't fit either. He hasn't made a friendly so far.
Jul 24, 2013 10:50 AM

Jun 2009
Barca substituted all 11 players for the second half ^^
Jul 24, 2013 10:51 AM

May 2013
teddygamer said:
FlameWingman21 said:

Yeah, Welbeck missed too many chances.

jnw93 said:
FlameWingman21 said:
LoL
No Fergie time
no trophies

Maybe for this season but our youths (Zaha, Januzaj, Lingard) look promising.
Jul 25, 2013 1:51 AM

Jun 2013
FlameWingman21 said:
teddygamer said:
FlameWingman21 said:

Yeah, Welbeck missed too many chances.

jnw93 said:
FlameWingman21 said:
LoL
No Fergie time
no trophies

Maybe for this season but our youths (Zaha, Januzaj, Lingard) look promising.
I bet Zaha will flop.
Jul 25, 2013 2:07 AM

May 2013
Seikunai said:

To be honest, i don't think Arsenal can get any lower next season than losing to Bradford...
Jul 25, 2013 2:23 AM

Jun 2013
teddygamer said:
Seikunai said:

To be honest, i don't think Arsenal can get any lower next season than losing to Bradford...
As long as Chelsea places higher than them, I'm happy.
Jul 25, 2013 2:29 AM

May 2013
Seikunai said:
teddygamer said:
Seikunai said:

Yeah, and i'm hoping that Arsenal could at LEAST finish above Spuds, so i have something to celebrate on...and BTW, will hell finally freeze if Arsenal buys Suarez...?
Jul 25, 2013 3:56 AM

Feb 2013
teddygamer said:
Seikunai said:
teddygamer said:
Seikunai said:

Yeah, and i'm hoping that Arsenal could at LEAST finish above Spuds, so i have something to celebrate on...and BTW, will hell finally freeze if Arsenal buys Suarez...?
Arsenal will always finish above Spurs, even if both teams got relegated spurs would be dead last
Jul 25, 2013 4:49 AM

Nov 2011
ye must be horrible being an arsenal fan finishing in the top 4 every season....

away tickets for first game of season qpr arrived today getting excited for the season now =)
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Jul 27, 2013 5:35 AM

Oct 2010
Norwich have confirmed the signing of Gary Hooper for a fee believed to be £5 million. I hate Norwich, but I think they may be the dark horse of the Premier League this year.
Jul 27, 2013 5:49 AM

Jan 2011
spyrocoot said:
Norwich have confirmed the signing of Gary Hooper for a fee believed to be £5 million. I hate Norwich, but I think they may be the dark horse of the Premier League this year.

why hate norwich?

anyways i think swansea, norwich, sunderland, and fulham are doing very well in transfer window this year. they will make EPL really interesting
Jul 27, 2013 6:21 AM

Oct 2010
minshady97 said:
why hate norwich?

anyways i think swansea, norwich, sunderland, and fulham are doing very well in transfer window this year. they will make EPL really interesting

All Swansea fans hate Norwich, and all Norwich fans hate Swansea. I'm not entirely sure where it stemmed from, but that's how it is. Personally, I hate them for their delusional, unclassy fans; their players (Holt and Snodgrass mainly, Holt leaving doesn't change much though); and, in my opinion, their pub play style. I like Chris Hughton as a manager, but that's the only positive I see in Norwich.

Who has Fulham bought/sold? I haven't really paid attention to them this Summer.
Jul 27, 2013 6:26 AM

May 2013
spyrocoot said:
minshady97 said:
why hate norwich?

All Swansea fans hate Norwich, and all Norwich fans hate Swansea. I'm not entirely sure where it stemmed from, but that's how it is. Personally, I hate them for their delusional, unclassy fans; their players (Holt and Snodgrass mainly, Holt leaving doesn't change much though); and, in my opinion, their pub play style. I like Chris Hughton as a a manager, but that's the only positive I see in Norwich.

Who has Fulham bought/sold? I haven't really paid attention to them this Summer.

They got Stekelenburg for 5 mil, and i'm pretty sure you know that Schwarzer is at Chelsea, can't remember the name, but Fulham got tthree more signings
Jul 27, 2013 12:29 PM

Apr 2011
Where's Neuer? Why isn't he on the team tonight?
Jul 28, 2013 12:57 AM

Jun 2009
yhunata said:
Where's Neuer? Why isn't he on the team tonight?

He was sick or something like that, just like Ribery.

So Dortmund won the German Super Cup, beating Bayern 4-2 in one HELL of a match.

The game starts off with an early Dortmund lead after only 6 minutes. Van Buyten and Starke both fucked up, Reus scores.
Nothing too spectacular happens for the rest of the first half. Most noteworthy was probably that the match was shortly interrupted for everyone to drink water, what with it being 36+ degree across the whole country.

Second half starts and after 54 minutes things get CRAZY.

With the match being played in Dortmund Robben obviously gets booed whenever he has the ball. The guy isn't too impressed as he basically tells all Dortmund supporters to go fuck themselves when he scores the equalizer with a nice header.
So with 1-1 the match was supposed to be open again but you can count on van Buyten fucking up, giving Dortmund the lead with an own goal not even TWO MINUTES after the equalizer. But things are just getting started and merely ONE MINUTE after that Gündogan scores a great goal and makes it 3-1. We've now had 3 goals in 3 minutes.
You'd think the match would be decided by now but Robben wouldn't have anything of that: Lahm brings the ball in over the right side and Robben scores a brilliant goal, spinning around his defender, leaving Weidenfeller no chance. Now it's 3-2, with 4 goals in ten minutes.
The match goes back and forth, Müller had a huge change to make the 3-3 but only hits the crossbar. So it's Reus again, making the 4-2 after 84 minutes (from an offside position) this time finally deciding the match.
On a side note, Guardiola made some..."interesting" substitutions...

That was a really fun match and made clear that Bayern is in no way unbeatable this season and that Dortmund will be the strongest contender for the Bundesliga championship. I really can't wait for the 9th of August, when it's finally kickoff.
grandy_UiDJul 28, 2013 1:14 AM
Jul 28, 2013 1:29 AM

Apr 2011
grandy_UiD said:
Most noteworthy was probably that the match was shortly interrupted for everyone to drink water, what with it being 36+ degree across the whole country.

Is that normal for summer? And I though summer was supposed to be really hot. The normal "sunny day" temperature for Maldives is around that.

grandy_UiD said:
That was a really fun match and made clear that Bayern is in no way unbeatable this season and that Dortmund will be the strongest contender for the Bundesliga championship.

Was that really even a question? If anyone thought that a team other than Bayern and Dortmund were going to win the Bundesliga, they would've been kidding themselves.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (52) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.