Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 17, 2013 10:26 PM

Jul 2010
I've been reading lots of romance manga and watching romance anime lately, but I feel like I'm missing something. Everything I've been watching feels so...similar, you know? I want something that's heartwarming, but also has something special. Maybe the OTP doesn't actually turn out to be the OTP (I love when the underdog gets the girl, haven't been seeing that lately)...or just some complex stuff happens...oh gosh, I'm terrible at trying to explain right now. x3

Also, I hate when Romcoms end right when someone confesses to the other person. It's like....there's a LOT more to love than just starting to go out with someone. If what you recommend is like this, it better be really good to make up for it. :)

Well, I just want some opinions on what's a really good Romcom, that also has something rare. I've seen a lot though, so it might be hard to suggest. xP Also, I'd rather not like any harems/reverse harems. Too...idk, lol.

It can be either a manga or an anime; I'm good with either.

Thanks for your help!
Jul 17, 2013 10:29 PM

Jun 2012
Manga- GE: Good Ending
Jul 17, 2013 10:32 PM
Apr 2013
Kimagure Orange Road
Jul 17, 2013 10:37 PM

Sep 2011
Hi there ! :) I really think you should watch Itazura na kiss if you still haven't. It's super hilarious and yet, emotional at times. It's no different from the standard shoujo romance, the girl being cute and dumb and the guy being a super genius. but trust me, you will enjoy the show :)
Jul 17, 2013 11:06 PM

Sep 2012
Nazo no Kanojo X is the definition of unusual romcom.
Jul 17, 2013 11:50 PM

Mar 2012
Shuffle (it left me guessing, he does pick one, but it might not be who you think it is. This is a harem don't let it fool you it fits the requierment you asked for.)

Natsuyuki Rendezvous (interesting romance where you don't know which way it's going to go. There is a big focus on art.)

These fit the first requirements that you asked for.

I have to say how do you expect the underdog to go up against someone and win if it's not either a love triangle or a harem? So, hopefully you don't leave out anime that possibly fit that requirement because you think it will be bad.
lovelydeathJul 17, 2013 11:55 PM
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Jul 18, 2013 12:02 AM

Nov 2012
Jauregui said:
Nazo no Kanojo X is the definition of unusual romcom.

x2
Jul 18, 2013 12:21 AM

Dec 2007
My favorite manga now (ongoing) would be Horimiya. The MCs interactions are funny and romantic... and heartwarming. And it doesn't end with the confession. I say this is what you're looking for.
Jul 18, 2013 12:26 AM

Jul 2007
I didn't like nazo no kanojo imo. But it does have the 'unusual' aspect.

After looking through your list .. I've compiled 2 animes (that you haven't watched):

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (Kare Kano) - its on your "to watch" list
- Surprisingly good for a 90's romance anime however the company who was in charge of the production of the anime had some issues (financial? not sure) which caused the quality of the anime to drop immensely near the end which will easily drop your score from a 10 or 9 to a 7 or 8.

Cross Game - my friend pestered me for 1.5 years to watch (or read) this. I wish I had done it sooner, it was amazing for an anime integrated with a sport (I am not fan of sports). I would recommend this. This has more of romance and less of the comedy
*** Also this is similar to Ano Hana if you liked that (I see you gave it a 10)
Jul 18, 2013 12:58 AM

Aug 2009
Abnormal-kei Joshi (manga)
Denpa Teki na Kanojo (anime)

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 18, 2013 1:37 AM

Aug 2007
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Seconding Itazura na Kiss

both are on your plan to watch :) I thought both were fantastic. I liked that Itazura was similar to clannad:after story in the sense that it goes beyond school and into marriage and real life.
Jul 18, 2013 1:39 AM

Sep 2012
I'd say keep on reading Bokura ga Ita.

And then read Tonari no Atashi as well.
Jul 18, 2013 2:32 AM
Jul 2013
His and her cicumstances!! ( im not sure what its called in japanese though..) YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT! its not very popular but its THE BEST romcom EVER! it is worth watching. its about a girl in highschool (not the crappy highschool melodramas though) and its so heartwarming and cute! it also has a few serious stuff in it do its not all comedy but it is sooo worth watching!! ^_^
Jul 18, 2013 3:48 AM
Feb 2008
Try Kamisama Hajimemashita. Definitely heartwarming. It's a bit supernatural, but it's really quite lovely.
Jul 18, 2013 4:02 AM

Jul 2013
OreGairu seems pretty different because we actually get a mc who can think pretty decent.
Jul 18, 2013 4:56 AM

Jul 2013
Tsundere_Lover said:
OreGairu seems pretty different because we actually get a mc who can think pretty decent.

and Nazo no Kanojo X
Jul 18, 2013 5:01 AM

Apr 2013
Tsundere_Lover said:

Yep , pretty much this.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jul 18, 2013 5:22 AM

Aug 2011
I personally loved Koukou Debut!
The first 10 chapters are kinda cliché and predictable, but that's only the set-up; the whole manga is about the main couple actually being a couple :) It had exactly what I was looking for when wanting something "special" - it's heartwarming, has some drama, and is really funny!

I just love the fact that I finally found a good manga where the main story begins *after* the confession, so I warmly recommend giving it a try :)
Jul 18, 2013 6:44 AM

Mar 2012
Onidere, unlike most Romcoms it's about people already in a relationship; or Tuxedo Gin, which is a very special kind of romcom.
Jul 18, 2013 9:30 AM

Dec 2008
I've been looking for such anime/s too XD although I'm not getting tired of watching animes with almost same plot, like high school students who fell in love with each other but they're both numb to feel it >.< hihih

if you haven't watched Marmalade Boy, you should try it :)
Shirhyzuka Keii Yuu ♥
Jul 18, 2013 9:37 AM

Sep 2012
Manga: Girl Friends

Not that much of a comedy, but it does have some. And it's unusual and heartwarming.
Jul 18, 2013 10:04 AM

Jun 2013
Go for Oregairu
Jul 18, 2013 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah, I watched OreGairu last season, a lot of people recommended that. I loved it so much, but I don't think I'd put it in the RomCom genre. xD I appreciate all the 90s and 80s manga/anime people have been recommending, but I'm not really in the mood for the oldies, haha. :)

Anyways, thanks a lot! I'm especially excited to try Koukou Debut, Tonari no Atashi, Cross Game, GE: Good Ending, Horimiya, and Kamisama Hajimemashita.
Jul 18, 2013 12:35 PM
Dec 2012
Try Chikan Otoko. It's a doujin and the art are not really good but I can say it's a masterpiece. Everything was handled perfectly and doesn't dragged on too since it's only 21 chapters and based on real story posted on 2ch. Trust me, it will be worth your time.

While you're at it, also try Onani Master Kurosawa. Don't be deceive by the title, it's more than that :P. It's the same artist though the story in this is by someone else.
RaigrexJul 18, 2013 12:38 PM
Jul 18, 2013 12:54 PM

Feb 2010
@fishergirl16- I'd give you a recommendation, but I'm honestly not that big of a romance fan so my knowledge is very limited...
What I did however want to say was...that quote you have in your signature. It's brilliant.

You don't know how loud I started squealing lol because that line is the cutest thing ever.
I love that show <3 Okay, I'm done. I'm out. Bye xD

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 6 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
4 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
5 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.