Forums
New
Jul 14, 2013 8:54 PM
Jul 2013

00002019Nov 2, 2014 6:27 PM
Jul 14, 2013 8:57 PM

Jan 2008
Just watch the entire thing.

/inb4 someone bitches about melo and forced drama.
Jul 14, 2013 8:58 PM

Jun 2007
Please use spoiler tags on spoilers.
Jul 14, 2013 8:58 PM

Apr 2011
Clannad is nothing compared to Ano Hana. I watched Ano Hana I almost cried. I finished Clannad and I was still waiting for the "ending that makes you curl up and feelz for tears".
Jul 14, 2013 8:59 PM

Jan 2013
I still don't know what about AnoHana makes it sad.
Jul 14, 2013 9:00 PM
Jul 2013
Physiicx said:
Clannad is nothing compared to Ano Hana. I watched Ano Hana I almost cried. I finished Clannad and I was still waiting for the "ending that makes you curl up and feelz for tears".

When does the emotion come in then? Without spoiling, please tell me the episode, because I want to skip to it at this rate.
Jul 14, 2013 9:00 PM

Sep 2011
Its always about the end result. Don't judge until you finish. If you didn't like it by the time you finish it then boohoo go on to the next anime! Not every suggestion is going to satisfy you, keep that in mind.
Jul 14, 2013 9:01 PM

Jun 2007
lewlwut said:
Physiicx said:

When does the emotion come in then? Without spoiling, please tell me the episode, because I want to skip to it at this rate.

If you were to skip to it you wouldn't get said emotion.

The thing about drama is that you need the build up for it to matter at all. If you just skip to this or that part of course it won't give you any sort of reaction because you won't have an emotional attachment to the cast or events.
Jul 14, 2013 9:02 PM

Feb 2013
Didn't you JUST make a rec thread for depressing anime like not even 3 hours ago? Assuming that's what made you decide to watch it, that's a pretty quick snap judgement.
Jul 14, 2013 9:03 PM
Jul 2013
Ntad said:
Didn't you JUST make a rec thread for depressing anime like not even 3 hours ago? Assuming that's what made you decide to watch it, that's a pretty quick snap judgement.

It's 11 episodes. Just running through it with some cereal while tabbing between this forum.
Jul 14, 2013 9:07 PM

Jun 2007
lewlwut said:
Ntad said:

It's 11 episodes. Just running through it with some cereal while tabbing between this forum.

If you're just running through and half-paying-attention to a DRAMA then yes, you won't get much emotion out of it because you're not seriously viewing it.
Jul 14, 2013 9:11 PM
Jul 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
lewlwut said:
Ntad said:

If you're just running through and half-paying-attention to a DRAMA then yes, you won't get much emotion out of it because you're not seriously viewing it.

? There are commercial breaks. That's when I visit. That and I'm bored with it because aside from Episode 4, it's been fairly quiet. I mean let's be honest, no one has shown any raw emotion other than that one friend. Buttt what if it pulls an Angel Beats! and makes up for it with the ending, who knows, I'm waiting for that.
Jul 14, 2013 9:13 PM
May 2010
lewlwut said:
Ntad said:

Watch again from beginning and don't get distracted.
Stop tabbing.
Jul 14, 2013 9:14 PM

Aug 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
lewlwut said:
Ntad said:

.......Dear god man. Be quiet and watch it until the end. No wonder you arent getting into it. Drama at the end happens on the assumption that you are attached to the characters. If you dont pay attention, no wonder you wont get attached to the characters.
Jul 14, 2013 9:16 PM

May 2012
I feel the same bro. Anohana is poorly written, melodramatic garbage that fails at almost every level. But this is just my opinion of course, everyone who likes it can take it with a grain of salt, I am not saying it is fact just my point of view.
Jul 14, 2013 9:19 PM

Aug 2009
I don't think it's Clannad level but it's a decent show. How much of it did you even watch? Your list is empty can't tell...

Edit: Anyways, you can try ef: A Tale of Memories. I liked it much more than AnoHana
HostClubJul 14, 2013 9:24 PM
Jul 14, 2013 9:20 PM

Sep 2012
OP you should just go make 1ep reviews on everything you get recommendations on

but use this guide:
Drama etc: skip and or don't pay attention
Comedy: watch RAW while muted and listen to emo music
anything with decent dialogue/development: watch at x2 speed
Action: Close your eyes

You should also use comparisons to one thing and only one thing you have seen
Jul 14, 2013 9:22 PM
Jul 2013
HostClub said:
I don't think it's Clannad level but it's a decent show. How much of it did you even watch? Your list is empty can't tell...

I've watched it up to episode 7. Aside from episode 4, which had a really great moment, the whole series is just boring because there is no interaction with Menma aside from Jin, since no one else can see her. And as a result, it's just about their daily lives. But again, Angel Beats is a series that started out amazing with the first four episodes then went to hell until the end, so I'm waiting for it.
Jul 14, 2013 9:26 PM

Jan 2009
no wonder your complaining since you did not watch it with full attention yet and besides the ending will have weak impact on you since you miss a lot of details
Jul 15, 2013 1:32 AM

Jul 2013
Hmmmm I was curious but now you got my attention. I will try it out
Jul 15, 2013 1:35 AM

May 2013
They are both bad. /thread?
Jul 15, 2013 1:55 AM

Jun 2009
This really has nothing to do with the recommendation board...
Jul 15, 2013 1:59 AM

Sep 2011
I like both Clannad and Ano Hana. Let me tell you something, I didn't cry with a single ep of Clannad, but I almost cried with Ano Hana. Ano Hana was more emotive imo. It's all about tastes, Ano Hana story can't be as deep as Clannad imo, Clannad has like 40 more eps.
Jul 15, 2013 2:01 AM

May 2010
nope it doesn't get better. i wouldn't say Anohana is sad at all.
Jul 15, 2013 3:21 AM

Feb 2012
AnoHana was indeed pretty meh, it was pretty enjoyable though. All the forced drama and melodramatic sobbing was pretty fun to watch. Can't really understand why would anyone cry while watching this; although I had a moments when I wanted to cry too, especially when that dead ghost chick appeared. GOD she was so annoying, if she hadn't been in it, I would have given it a higher score.
I don't know why is it recommended so often though, but well...
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Jul 15, 2013 5:40 AM

Mar 2009
Paul said:
Just watch the entire thing.

/inb4 someone bitches about melo and forced drama.

Didn't take too long.
Jul 15, 2013 5:50 AM
Jul 2013
Okay. Neither of them managed to bring me close to crying but when talking about overall quality and plot, Clannad takes the lead. However, AnoHana wasn't bad itself. In fact that's probably the only anime that mixes fantasy and reality so nicely.

Anyways, if you're disappointed, it's cuz your taste is different from that of the people who suggested it. Ain't nothing nobody can do about it x)
"If the king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?" - Lelouch Vi Britannia the Legend.
Jul 15, 2013 10:36 AM

Mar 2012
Drama-type shows are all about build-up and attachment, OP. Skipping episodes in any show, especially a drama, will make you unable to immerse yourself to the plot.
Jul 15, 2013 10:43 AM

Mar 2011
People cried to Clannad? Like maybe I can see Clannad:AS but Clannad?

I thought Clannad and AnoHana are both decently written drama/romance shows that have a decent amount to offer to the viewers. It doesn't help that you flat out admit that you are barely watching it.
Jul 15, 2013 10:51 AM

May 2013
AnoHana's last episode and 3/4 of Clannad's After Story was the only episodes that can actually make me cry. I mean really cry.
Jul 15, 2013 11:02 AM

Dec 2012
Leapling said:
They are both bad. /thread?

Seconding this objective answer.
Nov 15, 2013 5:21 AM

Sep 2013
anohana is really good. clannad bored me to death.
Nov 15, 2013 5:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
AnoHana was way too fucking predicatable and the characters were all just so... stupid idk
I mean the story itself was pretty sad, but the presentation was kind of cringeworthy, so it wasn't exactly something worth getting emotional over
Nov 15, 2013 5:28 AM

Dec 2012
Physiicx said:

You didn't watch After story

This is probably late...
Nov 15, 2013 5:32 AM

Feb 2012
DramaEnthusiast. Hmmm... Interesting Choice of a username but it doesn't suit you well. There were a lot of loopholes on your bitching.
Nov 15, 2013 5:36 AM

Aug 2012
pizza_012 said:
DramaEnthusiast. Hmmm... Interesting Choice of a username but it doesn't suit you well. There were a lot of loopholes on your bitching.
You're several months late and, while I would almost always agree with you in regards to him, he ended up giving it an 8.

"Gud 'nuff"
Nov 15, 2013 5:39 AM

Feb 2012
MellowJello said:
pizza_012 said:
You're several months late and, while I would almost always agree with you in regards to him, he ended up giving it an 8.

"Gud 'nuff"

Ha, I didn't saw that actually. Lol. Well, Better late than never ;)
Nov 15, 2013 5:49 AM

Mar 2013
Honestly, this show wasn't what I expected. I expected something similar to the show you mentioned =)

and I instead got..

vvvorticNov 15, 2013 5:53 AM
Full time redditor and fedora owner, gg
Nov 24, 2013 4:05 AM

Jul 2011
Bottin_max said:
Honestly, this show wasn't what I expected. I expected something similar to the show you mentioned =)

and I instead got..

True^

And The OST of Clannad AS is Superior to AnoHana. Hands down to Maeda Jun.
Nov 27, 2013 12:27 PM

May 2013
Bottin_max said:

and I instead got..

Yea, the overall character development in AnoHana wasn't near as good, it felt like you should have already known the characters before watching the show somehow.
Dec 1, 2013 4:20 PM

Nov 2012
Aesop of the thread:

Watch any anime series with zero expectations from others - more like, don't even believe what others say but still watch it anyway for the heck of it. Makes for a more refreshing watching experience imo.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Dec 1, 2013 7:10 PM

Aug 2013
Jaeger07 said:
Aesop of the thread:

Watch any anime series with zero expectations from others - more like, don't even believe what others say but still watch it anyway for the heck of it. Makes for a more refreshing watching experience imo.

Exactly this. When I go into 'emo' anime, I never expect to cry. I look at it face value, and guess what, I cried at the ending. Why? Because it was well written and the feels got to me, not because other people told me I was going to.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Mar 9, 2014 12:27 PM
Apr 2011
I watched Clannad and Clannad AS and didn't cry. Why? Because the over the top comedy scenes ruined the seriousness of the series for me. How can I take something seriously when a character can get kicked to the sky and still live? When I was watching the sad part in Clannad AS I was already expecting deus ex machina event to appear...and

AnoHana on the other hand took itself seriously and the emotions feel more real to me. Example: when Menma's mom finally expressed her hate to Jinta and his friends it reminded me of a neighbor who experienced the same thing. Basically, his kid died and become a grouchy old man that hates kids.
Mar 12, 2014 12:29 PM

Nov 2013
ravagestorm said:
I watched Clannad and Clannad AS and didn't cry. Why? Because the over the top comedy scenes ruined the seriousness of the series for me. How can I take something seriously when a character can get kicked to the sky and still live? When I was watching the sad part in Clannad AS I was already expecting deus ex machina event to appear...and

AnoHana on the other hand took itself seriously and the emotions feel more real to me. Example: when Menma's mom finally expressed her hate to Jinta and his friends it reminded me of a neighbor who experienced the same thing. Basically, his kid died and become a grouchy old man that hates kids.

If you're watching the emotional climax of AS so disconnectedly that you are actively thinking about a deus ex machina to occur, you already spoiled the show for yourself. Saying After Story is bad because of the aforementioned is like saying you couldn't enjoy a novel because you tried reading it in the darkness.

EDIT: Here I'll make it even easier for you. I'm just starting on episode 6 of Ano Hana, and with the lens you used for After Story I can assess what's happened in Ano Hana so far.

Devil's Advocate:

I can't take Ano Hana seriously because a ghost is physically interacting with the world around it and hardly a person takes note of it in a meaningful manner. Menma doesn't use her ability to impact her surroundings to prove her existence, and then cries about it as if she's helpless.

Menma is actually still an 8 year-old while all her peers are in high school, and the gap shows in their behaviour. Yadomi only reinforces this by telling the viewer she hasn't changed a bit, while the over-joyous Menma in the background continues to behave like she's 8.

Anjou's friends are the excessively tropey 'bitch' type to the point where I can't see why she hangs out with them unless she has no other option since the dispersal of their childhood group.

Going to ignore the Menma shower scene because trying to assess ghostly hygiene is impossible with only one point of reference.

Hmmm show seems kinda crappy when I look at it that way. But oh wait, maybe it's because I'm being a retard and rather than watching the show I'm scanning over it with a scalpel and gouging it wherever I see blemishes.
LawLLawLMar 12, 2014 12:46 PM
Mar 23, 2014 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
Physiicx said:

You obviously haven't watched Clannad After Story, then.
Mar 23, 2014 11:48 AM

Apr 2012
LawLLawL said:
ravagestorm said:

If you're watching the emotional climax of AS so disconnectedly that you are actively thinking about a deus ex machina to occur, you already spoiled the show for yourself. Saying After Story is bad because of the aforementioned is like saying you couldn't enjoy a novel because you tried reading it in the darkness.

EDIT: Here I'll make it even easier for you. I'm just starting on episode 6 of Ano Hana, and with the lens you used for After Story I can assess what's happened in Ano Hana so far.

Devil's Advocate:

I can't take Ano Hana seriously because a ghost is physically interacting with the world around it and hardly a person takes note of it in a meaningful manner. Menma doesn't use her ability to impact her surroundings to prove her existence, and then cries about it as if she's helpless.

Menma is actually still an 8 year-old while all her peers are in high school, and the gap shows in their behaviour. Yadomi only reinforces this by telling the viewer she hasn't changed a bit, while the over-joyous Menma in the background continues to behave like she's 8.

Anjou's friends are the excessively tropey 'bitch' type to the point where I can't see why she hangs out with them unless she has no other option since the dispersal of their childhood group.

Going to ignore the Menma shower scene because trying to assess ghostly hygiene is impossible with only one point of reference.

Hmmm show seems kinda crappy when I look at it that way. But oh wait, maybe it's because I'm being a retard and rather than watching the show I'm scanning over it with a scalpel and gouging it wherever I see blemishes.

Youre surprisingly good at putting into words why I think this show is rater shit ^^. I cant help but I cant take a show seriously if it doesnt pass my test of scanning over it and not finding blemishes.
Brains over feelings, only if the show can get past my braing it can reach the heart, I am afraid there is not way around that.
Mar 23, 2014 7:23 PM
Dec 2013
Both Clannad and Anohana were great, but I thought Anohana was more interesting while clannad was a bit slow at times.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 5:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.