Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2009 7:40 AM

Jan 2008
You know how in the beginning or end of a manga volume there are comments by the author? Why are they so so random and weird?

Western graphic novels have comments sometimes too, they're pretty coherent and relevant to whatever the comic is about, but nearly every single manga forward or afterword by the mangaka is just totally random.

I dont know if I'm complaining or not, because they're often humorous, but I was just wondering why its like this. Sometimes I really would like them to, you know, actually talk about what they've drawn and written.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 18, 2009 7:51 AM

Aug 2008
It depends upon the publication. Some actually do have only comments related to the manga and I admit, I much prefer those (Ichiraci being my favorite). It can give you a little insight in the creation process. I usually don't bother reading the unrelated ones.
Jan 18, 2009 8:13 AM

Jun 2008
I like Akira Toriyama's random rabble in Dr. Slump.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Jan 18, 2009 8:56 AM

Feb 2005
I've yet to see anything more random and insane than Hirano's ramblings in Hellsing, what with Luke and Jan's corner, the weird character profiles, the ever present parodies (Integra as Reinhard and Alucard as Brunhilde??) and his little rant pages which always ends up in wierd and perverted songs and talking about poo.
Jan 18, 2009 12:27 PM

Sep 2008
Baman said:
I've yet to see anything more random and insane than Hirano's ramblings in Hellsing, what with Luke and Jan's corner, the weird character profiles, the ever present parodies (Integra as Reinhard and Alucard as Brunhilde??) and his little rant pages which always ends up in wierd and perverted songs and talking about poo.

I've basically decided Hirano is a little nuts insane. Love Hellsing, but have you read any of his shorter stuff, in particular Ikka Ryaku? That entire series is like one big crazy ramble...

I've always wondered what he heck was up with Shirow and octopi, and Arakawa and cows with panties on...
Jan 18, 2009 7:40 PM

Jul 2008
MotokoAramaki said:
Baman said:

I've basically decided Hirano is a little nuts insane. Love Hellsing, but have you read any of his shorter stuff, in particular Ikka Ryaku? That entire series is like one big crazy ramble...

I've always wondered what he heck was up with Shirow and octopi, and Arakawa and cows with panties on...

I have to agree with you.
If you have the hard copies of Hellsing, you'll also notice some unusual drawings.
Jan 18, 2009 7:47 PM

Apr 2008
MotokoAramaki said:
Baman said:

Oh, yes, he is quite insane. And I agree with Baman about his notes after the volumes being the weirdest.
Also his personal translator wears white suits and a cowboy hat.

I dunno, if I did manga/comics I'd add all sorts of strange shit as my personal commentary. Because I can.
Jan 18, 2009 9:17 PM

Jul 2008
Hiroaki Samura, the genius behind "Blade of the Immortal", had some absolutely insane comments at the end of "Bradherley's Coach". At the end of an incredibly violent, emotional, poignant, and tragic comic, he writes a light-hearted and frivolous note about originally wanting to write a sexy, erotic guro/rape story, but having it organically turn into something more serious.

There is a comment about him wanting to name the title something "so cool that it causes nosebleeds", and a bunch of other juvenile statements that don't fit the serious nature of the comic at all. Really disorienting.
Jan 18, 2009 9:34 PM

Mar 2007
I like the author comments in Chintsubu, where she describes dragging her assistant to a penis museum, and talks about all the stuff they saw there, and the gift shop, lol :)
Jan 18, 2009 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
MagicalEmi said:
I like the author comments in Chintsubu, where she describes dragging her assistant to a penis museum, and talks about all the stuff they saw there, and the gift shop, lol :)

I would think that any manga author who depicts herself as a fat, disgusting midget man probably has a few mental screws loose.

On an unrelated note, who is the character in your avatar and signature?
Jan 18, 2009 10:01 PM

Mar 2007
ShaolinRibiero said:
MagicalEmi said:

I would think that any manga author who depicts herself as a fat, disgusting midget man probably has a few mental screws loose.

On an unrelated note, who is the character in your avatar and signature?

It's Magical Emi ^__^
Jan 18, 2009 10:20 PM

Jul 2008
MagicalEmi said:

It's Magical Emi ^__^

Heh, my association with "Magical Emi" is the scene where a naked Hadcore Souma gets shot to death in "Battle Royale", all while clutching a pendant of that character.
Jan 19, 2009 6:33 AM

Feb 2008
The most relevant comments I've seen in manga were from Mushishi. Even those were really just brief comments about each chapter and influences on the stories. They were interesting, but nothing deep.

Baman said:

That guy is hilarious. Makes no sense, but his comments are so damn funny. Nightow, the mangaka of Trigun, is a little more comprehensible than Hirano. He doesn't write comments but instead draws everything as a comic. Half the time they make no sense, but sometimes they turn into something relevant to the series in some way or another. One covered his comically depicted trip to a headquarters of a toy factory in New Jersey that was making Vash toys. Like Hirano, he also has parody covers in the published volumes. Both series were published by Young King Ours, so I guess they're allowed to include that kind of stuff.

As Cihan mentioned, the comments in Western comics are relevant and interesting. They really try to tell the reader what went into the comic and its publishing. Sure, there’s a joke here and there, but they usually focus on the work itself. The Japanese seem to take a more personal approach, focusing less on the manga and more on their own experiences.
MillionsForksFeb 1, 2009 1:52 PM
Jan 19, 2009 2:02 PM

Apr 2008
MagicalEmi said:

And her search for a restaurant or place to eat penis as food.

Really educational, if a bit nauseating.
Jan 21, 2009 4:22 PM

Jan 2009
The comments in the D.Gray-Man manga make me laugh, it always has this same comment at the front

"Katsura adores cats"

...i mean seriously wtf!?

Jan 22, 2009 12:47 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I think the mangaka that often write the crazy little tidbits about their lives, are also some of the more reserved ones. They tend not to be in the public eye too much, and those comment spots really are a way for them to express some of their personality to their fans. (This is my limited experience talking)

I think I enjoy both. One of the most interesting comments I saw was a mangaka that actually went through all the materials she used for making the manga... what kind of pencils, pens, tones, etc. are good. But I can see how that, on the flip side, could bore a lot of people as well.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
8 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.