Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2009 3:45 AM
Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
awsome, i guess this searies is where they got alot of the idea for frontier from... btw, if u watch these seperately ur missing out, u HAVE to watch em like a movie ^_^ a 2:30 movie, but stil a movie ^^ its epic i reaken 4.5/5
Mar 10, 2009 2:11 PM

Jun 2008
First three episodes were boring, but this finale was great.
Apr 1, 2009 4:28 AM

Mar 2008
I don't it... the ending was like no closure for me.
May 14, 2010 3:25 AM

Feb 2009
Great OVA, I really liked. The story and the characters were very likeable and the music in this anime is just fantastic . The Macross feeling is there, but this really works as a standalone story/movie.
Jun 9, 2010 1:42 AM

Nov 2008
Wow, I have to say that the fights in this episode were really spectacular.
Story was quite predictable and cliché but overall I enjoyed it, get a 7 from me.
Jul 1, 2010 7:44 AM
Aug 2009
Even if it was a small animé even an unaired one. It was a good one. The ending was well thought and I loved it.
Sep 5, 2010 6:45 PM

Jul 2009
Hmm... Not sure how I felt about the ending...

Did Guld really need to defeat the Ghost X-9 in that way? I mean, once Isamu blasted Sharon's core, wouldn't that have stopped the Ghost, as well?

And I guess that love triangle was solved pretty easily, huh? Isamu wins, because he stayed alive. :P

I liked Sharon... I'm sorry she was "evil." We never find out, but I wonder if she is "rebooted" with Myung's positive emotions, instead of Myung's dark/fearful/obsessive ones. I also wonder if her character design inspired Studio Ghibli's Ponyo, doesn't Granmammare (Ponyo's ocean mother) resemble Sharon? :3

I think an 8 from me! I just love the Macross series formula so much.
Jan 7, 2011 11:56 AM
May 2010
Finally finished this one today. The ending wasn't all that satisfying. I hate when there isn't much closure. Obviously Isamu ends up with Myung by default, but I would have liked to see something there. Maybe her singing or rebooting Sharon like PrincessAruri said. Overall though I enjoyed it. 7/10.
Jun 9, 2011 8:19 AM

May 2008
7 years of grudge just for a misunderstanding is really sad, but it was solved quite simple and fast. I liked when Guld and Isamu was fighting over high school pranks they did against each other, or what Isamu did against Guld to be more proper.

The fight scenes were great and really well planned I think. Though I thought Guld would die, I shed tears when it really happened, but I still think it was unnecessary too.
Voices is a really powerful and emotional song, I think it really suited the setting and the storyline. One of the best songs in Macross history for sure at least~
Jul 25, 2011 9:19 PM

Feb 2011
Amazing OVAS.

I wouldn't say that Isamu win by default,when Guld reminded the happenings from seven years ago, it seems he admitted that Myung loves Isamu more than him... Later, when Guld asked to Isamu to go for Myung rescue, he says something like "She's waiting for you" finally resigned Myung's love...

Not mention that its kind of obvious that Myung loves Isamu more than Guld.

Overall 9.5/10 to this.
Aug 23, 2011 9:55 AM

May 2010
I watched the movie edition of Plus before watching the original ova and i have to say that I prefer the ova more. Even though the movie had new scenes and had a slightly better ending, the pacing in the ova was a lot better and the story didn't lose as much steam as it did in the movie edition which made it more satisfying. 9/10
Sep 5, 2011 5:24 PM

Feb 2009
I really liked the music,art and animation! The fight scenes were quite good too. But I didn't like that whole "I must've blocked the memories and thus blamed it all on Isamu" crap at all. At least Guld died...whew.
Sattyricon said:

Not mention that its kind of obvious that Myung loves Isamu more than Guld.

But she did have sex with Guld that one time after he saved her from the fire,didn't she.Oh,how would I have loved it if she had died too.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Sep 27, 2011 9:09 PM
Feb 2010
That was rather anticlimatic. (Time to get off those sedatives!) The back story was retarded.
Sep 30, 2011 12:29 AM
Aug 2011
I was really surprised that the terrible past deed done to Myung was rape. It's just not something I expected... as for the rest... it was pretty predictable. Great animation and splendiferous music, though the art is kinda dated.
Oct 12, 2011 2:30 PM

Feb 2009
InfinityPal said:
I was really surprised that the terrible past deed done to Myung was rape. It's just not something I expected... as for the rest... it was pretty predictable. Great animation and splendiferous music, though the art is kinda dated.

Wow,that was far from rape...he just tore her clothes off,nothing more.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Dec 1, 2011 2:24 PM

Feb 2010
ChaosLegion said:
InfinityPal said:I was really surprised that the terrible past deed done to Myung was rape. It's just not something I expected... as for the rest... it was pretty predictable. Great animation and splendiferous music, though the art is kinda dated.</div>
Wow,that was far from rape...he just tore her clothes off,nothing more.

lol yea that was far from rape for sure.

I though the ending wasn't as good as I would have liked, Guld dying like that was unnecessary and I would have liked to see what happens with Myung. 9/10 from me.
Sheepshaman.png
Dec 4, 2011 7:15 PM

May 2010
How on earth did all those bullets in the elevator scene missed Myuang??
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 9, 2012 7:35 AM
Dec 2010
I don't get why AI would want to kill Isamu in sleep and instead of Mayong even-though she wanted him for herself and to give him adrenaline experience to make him excited. One would expect that such a sophisticated cybernetic being would be able to realize that sleeping or even death persons can't get excited or belong to anyone anymore.
8/10 overall

DaeScope said:

yeah , something was missing.
Confucius said:
How on earth did all those bullets in the elevator scene missed Myuang??

haha good question
greenmartyJun 9, 2012 7:55 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jul 17, 2012 12:10 PM

Jan 2010
"Shut up, I don't wanna hear your creepy singing!" lool, what a way to turn a digital girl down.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Apr 3, 2013 5:44 PM
Aug 2009
Animation wise Masterpiece Story wise 7/10
9.5/10 overall -> 10 for me :)
honestly 20 years old OAV and i can hardly name anime with better animation
Jun 24, 2013 2:55 AM
May 2013
Great OVAs but I don't like how
DaeScope said:
the ending was like no closure for me.

I guess Macross will always have love triangles.
Jul 7, 2013 3:32 PM

Feb 2011
C'mon Guld, did you really have to do a suicide attack? And why did the evil guy with glasses just throw himself off the building? How did Isamu hear Myung singing from so far away? The whole reason behind the grudge was dumb. Guld just somehow happened to conveniently distort his memories to make Isamu the enemy and eveyone just went along with it? And on top of it all there was no closure in the ending.
VaanskylordMar 10, 2014 9:28 AM
いっぺん死んでみる?
Jul 14, 2013 7:35 AM

Feb 2012
I'm confused, did Guld or Isamu rape Myung?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 19, 2014 4:44 PM

Apr 2008
If Guld hadn't taken out the ghost plane, Isamu wouldn't have been able to reach the CPU. The ghost plane could turn a lot more sharply than Isamu because it didn't have to protect a human inside. The movie demonstrated that part much better than the OVA.

I wish that scene was included the OVA.
Aug 27, 2014 1:51 PM
Oct 2013
My shoot for guessing the main plot was missed by few centimeters. I thought that Guld would do some self sacrifice but by connecting himself to Sharon to make a double suicide; but he did it just with the ghost.
Still art and scenario was great, characters were really something. And songs were really heartwarming. I will also give a 10 for this masterpiece.
May 1, 2015 11:54 AM

Jan 2014
Unfortunately I couldn't get behind the characters and the rapey backstory left a bad taste in my mouth. Methinks this sort of thing gets trotted out too often by male writers who need some relationship angst.

Fortunately, this last ep focused mostly on the OVA's strengths -- animation, music and action. Pretty good episode on the whole.
Aug 23, 2015 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
^ that's because women belong elsewhere

DaeScope said:

go back to your orbs fgt

y cudnt dis have been a 2-cour series
this so could have used it
Jan 7, 2016 6:02 PM
Feb 2012
Wow!

I'm in tears on how awesome this was.

10/10
Jan 18, 2016 7:09 PM

Feb 2013
The 7 year grudge having such a simple reason behind it and resolution was beyond stupid. Got less interesting towards the end, but didn't peter out into boring cliche as badly as Macross II for what it's worth.
Mar 27, 2016 12:05 AM

Oct 2015
Hey help! Who the heck tried to kill Myung in that fire??? And who the heck warns the two pilots about it? And what happened to the evil guy who created Sharon's full AI?

Great anime that is a lot less flawed than many other anime but flawed nonetheless...
Jul 3, 2016 10:26 PM
Nov 2013
@gedata
A 7 year grudge because your best friend attacked you and tried to assault your girlfriend. I'd say it's a good reason, don't you think?

@Voivodian
Sharon (the computer) started the fire and warned the guys to force Isamu and Guld to get closer to Myung, since this is what Myung secretly wished for: to be loved and protected by both of them.
Myung "feeds" her emotions and voice to Sharon, so Sharon is kind of a clone of her personality. Being a computer, Sharon dares do what Myung don't. That's why Sharon tries to fulfill Myung's and Isamu's dreams even though she's wrong and twisted.

Marge, the scientist who has kind of a fetish on Sharon (and god complex) and gives her full A.I. is killed by Sharon because she wants to be free (before that scene Myung tells Sharon that Marge controls her). At one point near the end we see Marge is sent flying away in the air as the final concert takes place. I assume that he falls to his death and that Sharon did something to blow him away.

Anyway, Macross Plus is the Anime that made the strongest impression on me at a relatively early age, and over 15 years later I still watch it occasionally and pay attention to new details every time. It's still my favorite Anime of all times: It's a poignant human drama that feels very realistic despite being sci-fi, everything that happens in the movie could very well happen in the future of mankind.

And Yoko Kanno's soundtrack is pure awesomeness.

It's a classic I'll forever hold dear in my heart.
nicoduchesJul 3, 2016 10:30 PM
Dec 2, 2016 11:26 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Regular, don´t like much!!

In this time, Macross and the Love, has nice sequences with the future vision, the cities and the tecnics departaments, but the plot is sluggish, also the love story, the thresome, are very comun...

5/10.
Jul 8, 2017 8:58 PM

Jul 2011
What was the motivation of the evil scientist dude who jumped to his death? Because some men want to see the world burn??
"It is the emptiness that make the stars bright."

"If you've known pain and hardship, it is easier to be kind to others."
Aug 23, 2017 4:56 AM

Dec 2015
Great action finale, the personal conflict's resolution on the other hand was terrible. And the whole drama relied entirely on a stupid thing and the childness of those "men" as expected.

2/5 "I must've blocked the memories." Well, that was my thought too while rewatching this series.

A good-looking, well directed rivalry (ESPECIALLY the flight sequences but others too). Nothing special. The whole AI intrigue ended up seeming totally useless apart from offering a "final boss" action end. The seamingless implementation of this stand-alone story into the pre-existing universe is good though it never actually serves the story. The thing corrected for a 90minutes format would probably be quite good.
The music fits the anime more than pop-music would obviously (too bad for me: I hate techno-like sounds). But there is at least one song that is really pleasant to hear (Visions). Last thing worth mentioning: the environments are all incredibly well rendered.

Score: 6.5/10 rounded to 7, benefice of the doubt. I have no idea what this piece of work wanted to do apart from the clear technical feats.
Would be a shameless 6/10 if the focus was ostensibly the drama and not the action. Because the story is really... whatever.

PS: nothing to do with the anime itself, but it's funny to remember that so many schoolmates in my childhood were trying to sell those VHS as an adult program. XD (I know I thought they were wrong, but I had forgotten why)

============
@ezaya The movie edition was a bit better packed but, it's still more a tech demo than an actual story.
Rei_IIIFeb 20, 2019 9:35 PM
Oct 9, 2017 6:58 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was better than the other episodes. The other ones was pretty boring :/

Isamu and Guld childish fights over Myung came more clear; Revelation of what happened about their fight in the past, Sharon manipulating human minds and the mad scientist commit suicide... definitely a nice ending :)

Not the best Macross series I saw, but this one was actually ok ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Nov 15, 2017 8:38 PM

Mar 2012
I have to agree, this episode was honestly the only episode worth the time watching. I know it's Macross, but it's because it's Macross that i think this story was fucked from the start. It didn't need a cheesy and hollow love triangle at all. This has to be the most poorly written romdram i've seen in many years now. Clearly she loved one over the other, but like what the hell?

She comfort bangs one of them, and then sits at the bed side of the other the next day and implies she wants to be near him. Then cries about both of them fighting all the time. It's bad enough that the story between those three is such a terrible irony, BUT THAT'S LITERALLY IT. After that, the dialogue then heavily implies how much she loves Isamu over Guld. So,...what was the point of it? Then there's this episode and Guld just comes to terms with everything and happily dies, FIN.

What's such a tragedy about this is that they had several routes already in place here that could have made the drama believable and move the viewer so much more. Could have taken the well executed rivalry already going between two childhood friends who are now pilots and continued to ride that for example.

Isamu's character is really the only decent character, and that's only because he seems to be the only one whose personality has any life to it.

Apart from that disaster, the rest of the story wasn't bad. This last episode was done well enough. the animation and sound was amazing as hell. Yoko Kanno has never failed to impress me.

I'm glad i've watched Macross before to know better....after watching this...I'm not sure i'd be so willing to watch more Macross if it meant sitting through badly written love stories.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 12, 2018 12:32 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah, the plot was big pile of meh. Felt unprofessional.
Which is sad, because in other aspects it was beautifully executed.
Disappointing.
Feb 5, 2019 11:30 AM

Sep 2014
So the Guld guy is just forgiven for everything eh? My god this has to be one of the most incoherent animes I have ever watched.

During the course of the series, Isamu and Myung go along with Guld's delusions and his amnesia goes unchallenged right up until episode 4. One of the biggest problems I have with this is Myung’s compliance with the lie Guld is telling himself. It looks awfully like victim blaming to me, and even worse self-victim blaming.

And the biggest one is just how vague is the information of some important events is, like did he actually rape her, did she despite of that have sex with him in episode 2 etc.

1/10.
Feb 20, 2019 6:08 PM

Apr 2009
Oh my, this is so painful to watch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2020 3:58 PM

Aug 2008
This is a rewatch for me, gave it a 7 first time around and I'm not sure why. Its a 5 at best it feels like such an irrelevant show. Two arrogant asshole pilots have a grudge with each other and act the fool. The third character is a weak female who doesn't want to sing anymore so is the voice behind an AI (so still singing?) who takes control of the Macross and hypnotizes all the citizens to stare at her. Instead of having a motive that makes sence, Sharon the AI just wants to kill one of the pilots Izumi to give him a thrill... or something. Because she has Myungs emotions and somehow it translates to killing him.

This is the endgame of this show? A stupid triangle between these three? With the AI taking control of everything just to get in between their stupidity? Sheesh, that guy who betrayed Myung allowing Sharon to do this (who killed himself for some reason) must be annoyed in the afterlife that he went through that trouble just for something so lame. Got to ask as well, what was the point of those wires wrapping around Myung just to then release her later? Need to fill up the time? The AI gets two hynotized guards to incompetently try to kill her but then does nothing after this? Just has a conversation with her. Why start that fire in an earlier episode to get Guld and Izumi running over to help? What was the point of it? Seems like this show didn't know how to make a coherent story.

Given this just ended after the AI was shut down was there any point to the competition between the two prototype fighter planes? Not really, nope. Were the secondary characters worth a damn? Nope. Perhaps if this series had more episodes to breathe it would have been worth something but as it is it is just a forgettable nothing.
gswelcomeJun 30, 2020 4:02 PM
Jul 18, 2020 6:25 AM

Aug 2017
That was fine, I guess. Sharon got defeated, and yay, that's just it. Wasn't super exciting, though visually it was good. I think the OVA just kinda assumed that Sharon can use hypnosis? That was a bit strange. The guards shooting at Myung were also like zombies. Why? How? Who are they working for and for what reasons? Duh.
What were the consequences of everything that happened with AI for the Macross world? We aren't allowed to know, it seems. And Myung somehow heard Isamu and Guld talking, huh? The mad scientist guy just killed himself so that the main characters don't have to.

P.S. Who was Isamu fighting with in episode 1? Zentradi again?

P.P.S. I guess this OVA kinda predicted vocaloid concerts.
St0rmbladeJul 18, 2020 7:20 AM
Sep 13, 2020 7:45 AM
Jul 2018
I felt the last episode was very underwhelming and made the the whole story even more contrived. Like the plot itself, the whole character motivations were hard to take serious even how much time passed between their events. Only the first episode was the most decent amongst four. Production value wasn't that amazing either compare to other 90s film I've watched.

Also one thing irks me the whole virtual idol stuff. They looks too unappealing and don't make any sense how so many people were drawn into those. Like Isamu says too, their song were creepy lol.
Sep 29, 2020 11:49 AM

Jan 2010
I swear some of those lasers have Star Wars X-Wing sound effects. Anyways, overall the audiovisuals and direction were amazing. My favorite moment was when Sharon's hand kept trying to grasp at Isamu, and her bullets trailed along her hands also just missing him. Also, there were some actual creepy moments throughout, and I appreciated all the psychological aspects. Great stuff.
Nov 12, 2020 2:48 AM
Oct 2018
Damn, some impressive animation, especially in the finale. Got some 'Akira' vibes from this episode- all that experimental, a capella music, over the slow, spectacular pans across the cityscape.
Jan 2, 2021 6:35 AM

Aug 2018
This one has better aerial dogfights than original, and I liked it!
Jul 14, 2021 9:16 PM
Dec 2017
5/5 A fantastic end to a fantastic story. The incident that happened seven years prior, Guld's death, and the epic final battle with Sharon Apple. I can see why people are so obsessed with her, she's very pretty. So many great moments in this single episode and it was all stunning to look at. That open shot of Sharon starring into the distance while the battle was raging on was gorgeous. A short and sweet story. Glad I experienced it.
A psychic dwarf escapes from a prison. It was a small medium at large.

(×__×)
Aug 10, 2021 12:54 PM

Aug 2012
The finale was epic, Sharon gave me Hal 9000 vibes and I loved how Myung's internal emotional conflict basically drove her programming insane. I guess I'm not really sure what the microchip from that other guy was all about, I mean we clearly saw the consequences but I'm not too sure what the aim was for him other than to prove it could be done maybe? Drove him to his death.

I kinda guessed that Guld was to blame for the strife between them all. It's alittle strange how the other two kinda went along with his delusions but I think it was their love for him and who they really know him to be that ultimately meant they didn't want to tell him the truth. What he did was bad though they were young and he didn't actually do anything too crazy, it is a forgivable act to some degree between people who have clearly known each other most of their lives.

Anyway moving away from the analyzing...

Once again the animation was incredible. I loved seeing Sharon's projection over the Macross. The skies in this series were jaw dropping, just perfect for an aviation series. The music played when the microchip guy jumps reminded me of Ghost in the Shell which was interesting as this episode predates that by a few months.

Well this lived upto all the hype, what a truly outstanding OVA. I loved everything single thing about this. 10/10.
Jan 26, 2023 9:33 AM

Feb 2016
What did I just watch?
その目だれの目?
Feb 8, 2023 6:40 PM

May 2016
Lucifrost said:
What did I just watch?
Bro I’m wondering the same and not in a good way. I hope the original series isn’t as disappointing as this one. I was excited for this too because of the Director and Yoko Kanno. After watching Macross Frontier I was hoping to recapture the magic with the other titles, but so far it hasn’t happened.
Feb 8, 2023 7:21 PM

Feb 2016
@Reshiram_IX
I'm watching the franchise in order and I haven't gotten around to Frontier yet. I'm currently enjoying Macross 7. I dropped the 1982 series early on, but Do You Remember Love is great and I totally recommend it.
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Forgiving Guld *major spoiler alert*

arimakenshin - Jan 8, 2009

6 by Gatalis »»
Feb 15, 12:29 AM

» Macross Plus General Discussion

arimakenshin - Jan 8, 2009

7 by Gatalis »»
Feb 15, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Macross Plus Episode 1 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Nov 19, 2009

25 by usern0tsc00ter »»
Nov 7, 2023 2:20 AM

Poll: » Macross Plus Episode 3 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Jun 2, 2010

16 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:05 AM

Poll: » Macross Plus Episode 2 Discussion

Veethorn - May 14, 2010

22 by BlaizeV »»
Aug 10, 2021 10:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.