Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2009 5:58 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I must say it's been a long time since I've been totally entranced with an anime like R.O.D TV. The integration with the OVA is outstanding, even though the 'steampunk' settings of the OVA didn't carry over.

The characters are well designed, the artwork is sensational and the story just knocked my socks off. I love the fact that they started with a silly premise: paper users and library commandos, and made it work. I like that they fought down the urge to add kawaii and kept it limited to Anita and Woo-san, and even though I enjoy a good jiggle it would have ruined this story so I'm happy the fan service was nill.

I thought at first the situation in London at the end was over the top, but once they started explaining what was going on it fit right in. Even though the ending was kind of a stock solution for anime, it was satisfying and fit right in with the overall story. The final disposition of the characters was proper too. I just hope they have the courage to leave their hands off this one - please make no sequel that would detract from this work of art and let the story remain finished.
Apr 15, 2009 2:20 AM
Sep 2008
is there any romance involved in this series and does it end good ?
Jun 3, 2009 10:43 AM

May 2008
Nevermind the Paper Masters theme.
The plot about "Mr. Gentlemen" stayed weird to the very end.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 9, 2010 8:54 PM
Jul 2009
I must say. I am quite satisfied how they wrapped it up.
Apr 25, 2010 2:53 PM

Jul 2008
I loved the series overall, but thought ending was a little meh. The Mr. Gentleman storyline never really interested me, but everything else did. I was really drawn into this series which is really something since I've been having a hard time getting drawn into any anime these days. It was definitely worth the watch.

BEGINNER
May 22, 2010 10:59 PM

Aug 2007
I watched this anime, finished the ending.... and found out that I should have watched the OAV first. AAAAH! I watched the sequel/alternative/thing first! NOOOOOO!!!! D:
Jun 5, 2010 2:07 PM
Jan 2009
I didn't quite get what the sequence was about with the dog in the bushes and Joker. Did some Gentleman end up in a doberman and it sought out Joker?
Oct 26, 2010 10:52 PM

Sep 2008
I was disappointed that Junior never called Nancy "momma", no matter how much I liked Mi-chan act like a mother to him. Yayifications for Drake and seeing his Maggie though.

FUCKING JOKER! though.
I wish his head was obliterated.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2011 11:29 PM

Apr 2011
Love the integration from the OVA to the main series! The characters are well develop, there wasn't a favorite out of any of the cast, I love them together as a whole. The sticky part of the story was around "Mr. Gentlemen", but it still went through fine after all, its just a plot for the action!

There was a small hint of yuri everywhere. Nenene -> Readman. Nancy relationship with Readman was complicated, it was like a lover, child/mother, friendship type of relationship. I miss the old Nancy from the OVA, the huge impact for me, was her interaction with Readman. From the start of the TV series, I was like, where READMAN and NANCY?

Junior relationship with Michelle is tricky, she is his substitute mother or a type of lover, but I wanted Anita and him to be hitched XD

Nancy/Junior relationship is progressing and will be a "happy ending" for the both of them. Junior outright blamed his mother for all the bad deeds that has happen, but she had her own set of problems. Her brain was damaged and reduce her mental thinking back to a child (Readman relationship). Right now to Nancy (not the end), Readman is her top priory and Junior is 2nd, most would say thats horrible, but including all the situations and circumstances, its logical.

Nancy x Readman > Nenene x Readman XD
Mar 7, 2012 3:12 PM

Sep 2011
I've seen some episodes of the anime a few years ago on TV and I found this paper master thing interesting so I've decided to watch the whole thing. Well, I was disappointed.
Like I said the whole paper master concept is really good and I really liked how they had different specialization and things like that. The problem was the boring story. I never really cared about the whole Mr. Gentleman, UK wanting back power, perfect language etc. The only thing I was interested in was the paper action. They were mostly awesome, especially the ones in the Dokusensha building. And I think that's what the series should have emphasized on more.
The main characters and the relationships between them was likeable and I liked Anita's personality and hate for books despite her sisters love for them.
However apart from the action and characters nothing else made me like this series. It's kind of sad because it had so much potential.

Maybe this just wasn't my type of anime, but sadly it still couldn't really keep me interested as much as I hoped it would. It's a 6/10 from me :/
Dec 2, 2012 11:03 PM

Nov 2011
Originally, I didn't expect much out of this series because I thought the OVA just blows OVA was just meh. Heh, this TV series was actually a delight to watch especially Anita who is my favorite character. Her bond with that trap Junior was one of the highlights imo that showed more emotional sides of the series.

Overall, 7/10. Anita is so cute :> The king baby.

Now excuse me while I go make an paper airplane like the childhood days.
Mar 1, 2013 8:08 PM

Dec 2009
This actually was a really good series. I'll probably give 7/10. Better then a lot of higher rated stuff, IMO.
Such junk...
Mar 16, 2013 11:47 AM
Oct 2010
wtf did joker turn retard for a few months then unretard? was hopiing to see him cut up into slices by yomikos paper
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Mar 18, 2013 5:29 PM

Aug 2010
Good show. The first half was great, but all that gentlemen stuff near the end got a bit weird.
Jun 4, 2013 9:07 PM

Oct 2009
I just finished the series and absolutely loved it (makes me wish I caught the OVA... I think it's now packaged with the Aniplex release, but I hve the Geneon TV box set).

I'm normally a sub guy but watch dubs a lot because 1.) the anime club I run prefers them, and I need to check for content since I work for a library, and 2.) I have so little time I usually multi-task while watching anime. Dubs make it easier.

Anyway, with the exception of Anita's friend, I found the dub voices to range from good to excellent, with the main character's voice actors fitting the characters perfectly. I loved Anita's and Nenene's VAs and thought they played them perfectly.

The whole dog / Joker thing was confusing for me, too. I'm not quite sure where they were going with that.

I did appreciate the "where are they now" bit, and the surprise way after the credits was awesome as it confirmed that what Yomiko told Anita about Joker was absolutely correct.

I can see why this isn't everyone's type of show, especially with the weird way it bounces between total action to comedy to slice-of-life-type stuff, but I thought they balanced it well and enjoyed the heck outta it. It's been a while since I liked a show this much.
Dec 30, 2013 12:32 AM

Feb 2013
"Paper lies in our heavens above. That's why this world will remain safe."

Love the show! I really like how it ended. I was about to freak out if Anita died at the end! I like how Anita likes to read now and in the ED2 it was both Anita and Hisami that were on the bench! A very nice touch! When it went to a shot of Anita's briefcase that was the shot of the first ED! I love it when shows do that! I also loved how the OVA integrated with the TV show. Yeah, it would've been nice if Junior called Nancy "mom" at least once to really seal the deal.

I also was confused with the dog and Joker. He was like brain dead one second and then reverted back to himself? It also looked like Wendy reverted back to her clumsy self too.

Can anyone explain to me what MAM means? I'm guessing it's the initials of the sisters.
Feb 27, 2014 10:52 PM

Jul 2012
This was a good watch though some parts were confusing. Some of the paper action scenes were really well done.

Junior's interactions with the rest of the cast were my favourite parts :D
I love the relationship he cultivated with the sisters and his mother as well.

7.5/10
May 27, 2014 5:42 PM

May 2012
Pretty sweet happy ending I must say, a nice conclusion to everything and well it does seem that everyone has a good way living their future lives!

When I watched the 3 ova's this morning I sure was surprised and well this TV series sure was quite lovely as well in the end with some great development in both story and characters and well with this suiting ending it sure made it a great anime for me! 9/10
Jun 16, 2014 8:41 PM

Aug 2012
It was an enjoyable ride. The premise and concept were good, the execution wasn't just that great though. And in the end, I'm still wondering about a lot of things surrounding the Gentlemen issue.
7/10 for this series. I enjoyed the OVA more honestly.
Nov 29, 2014 5:47 PM
Sep 2011
Nano1124 said:

Can anyone explain to me what MAM means? I'm guessing it's the initials of the sisters.

Yeah, it's Maggie-Anita-Michelle (might be the other way around too).
Oct 29, 2015 7:31 PM

Feb 2013
Loved this series for its unique style. Art and music were fantastic. Has some straight absurd aspects but it's not like that ruined my watching experience. All the character were really lovable and plot has good cliffhangers. Worth it. 7/10

Feb 1, 2016 12:03 PM

Nov 2007
It's been years since I saw the OVA and totally forgot to watch the TV show. Decided to take it for a spin and did not regret it. When you watch through it, you kind of realize that modern day anime nowadays lose some dramatic elements that oldschool ones had since now all they really do is use modern tropes and are never really creative in their own aspect.
Feb 13, 2017 3:51 PM

Jan 2014
This show turned out completely different than the first half of the episodes suggested. Dokushensha just dissapearing was weird, and I'd never expected Anita to take centre stage like she did, though I quite liked that.

Despite all its shortcomings, this show never failed atmosphere wise. It's just pure nostalgia, and I feel like they don't make anime like this anymore.

Solid 8/10

ukonkivi said:
Nevermind the Paper Masters theme.
The plot about "Mr. Gentlemen" stayed weird to the very end.

Not as weird as the completely over the top and unecessary London time skip subplot introduced in the last or second to last episode.

Then again, they were allready pushing it with a bankrupt country building not one, but several antennae requiring a Death Star amount of metal and other construction materials.

jmbond said:
The whole dog / Joker thing was confusing for me, too. I'm not quite sure where they were going with that.

He also turned grey instantly, and I don't actually rember him limping in the OVA's either.

Then finally there's the photo in Yomiko's parental house, where he's clearly seen as a friend of Yomiko's father. They showed us that scene, and continuously have Yomiko state that he's not a bad man, yet they never did anything with that,..
LaionidasFeb 13, 2017 3:55 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
May 12, 2019 5:50 AM

Aug 2017
escapee said:
I didn't quite get what the sequence was about with the dog in the bushes and Joker. Did some Gentleman end up in a doberman and it sought out Joker?

I'm thinking the same too, I just finished the series...

Jul 7, 2019 7:38 AM

Oct 2008
Nano1124 said:

Super late reply, but it's something I thought was rather meaningful on my rewatch. One of the big plot points earlier was that their past/meeting was fabricated and that their love for each other was just implanted memories. However, the ending reveals that the statue that was at the church (where they met Anita and decided to take her in) had their initials carved into it, showing that their meeting at the church did actually happen.
Oct 5, 2019 11:59 AM

Aug 2012
PKAmmoTroop said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I must say it's been a long time since I've been totally entranced with an anime like R.O.D TV. The integration with the OVA is outstanding, even though the 'steampunk' settings of the OVA didn't carry over.

The characters are well designed, the artwork is sensational and the story just knocked my socks off. I love the fact that they started with a silly premise: paper users and library commandos, and made it work. I like that they fought down the urge to add kawaii and kept it limited to Anita and Woo-san, and even though I enjoy a good jiggle it would have ruined this story so I'm happy the fan service was nill.

I thought at first the situation in London at the end was over the top, but once they started explaining what was going on it fit right in. Even though the ending was kind of a stock solution for anime, it was satisfying and fit right in with the overall story. The final disposition of the characters was proper too. I just hope they have the courage to leave their hands off this one - please make no sequel that would detract from this work of art and let the story remain finished.

I can't believe how much these thoughts matches my exact experience with this series. I similarly can't remember a series grabbing me in the way this one did, at least not for quite some time. Despite the somewhat crazy premise and the destinations the story goes with it I think all in all the show justifies all of it.

I too was very worried when they arrived in London but it was explained in a mostly satisfactory way, despite the absurdity of it.

The ending perhaps wasn't as good as it could be and I feel the show may have left it all a little too late to wrap things up BUT I can't fault the ending too much, It got the job done.

I think the only issues I had with the story was Joker inviting them all into the chamber with Junior at the end, basically giving them the chance to foil his plans. I mean yes he is arrogant but that was moronic. The other thing that kind of bugged me was Nenene being the writer for the Gentleman's Bible, I mean I get that she was supposed to be this amazing writer on hard times due to the Yumiko disappearance but the idea that of all the people on earth she was the one? I mean that seemed alittle unjustified in the story. I feel as though she should have been a far more famous writer for that to be the case. I mean she was effectively described by Joker as this generations Shakespeare? Anyway that bugged me alittle but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm very pleased that the three sisters memories were true in the end. Especially since they didn't give us a proper explanation to prove otherwise. Hopefully one day they discover that when maybe showing Nenene the church where they met? Or at least where they thought/did meet.

Overall I think I'm going to give this show the full 10/10. The first series I'm doing that for this year and weirdly enough the THIRD show from the Fall 2003 season! I mean Gungrave and the original Fullmetal Alchemist both aired in this season also. Maybe one of the best seasons of Anime ever, certainly in my opinion it is.

Aug 30, 2020 12:09 AM

Jul 2013
I liked the first 12 episodes but as soons as this show started to focus on the main plot it all went downhill. Towards the end i had lost my interest almost completely. I guess i still liked the ending although the whole "we need to decide our own future" shtick is lame and tired.
Oct 14, 2020 5:54 PM

Jun 2010
This series was strong in character interaction (which an awful lot of shows are quite bad at) but the plotting got pretty wonky after episode 20. Seemingly very important ideas (everyone being dead except Yomiko and Anita, Anita hating Yomiko, Anita being used as a body for Mr. Gentleman) are introduced and then too-quickly resolved or just dropped. The level of exaggerated whimsy it reached when the main cast go to London isn't inherently bad but it was very unlike anything the series had done before so it struck me as not fitting very well. The finale was a bit of a fizzle with things wrapping up too easily and even the epilogue was a bit strange with things like Michelle apparently no longer living with Maggie and Anita because she's too busy playing mom for Junior.

To go back further the mid-series climax implied Dokusensha was fair from a spent force but they don't make a peep for the rest of the series; Joker taking them over only to explicitly revive their old enemy the British Library didn't make a lot of sense and may have just been a handwave as to why they never showed up again.

I can forgive the plot being a bit off since the character writing was quite good but even that was a bit wonky at the end. Ending with such a focus on Anita and Hisami's friendship is a bit odd since the latter was only in a side-plot that ended before the halfway point (and her reappearance for an episode essentially doesn't count since she was brainwashed) so it's weird to end with it like the whole series was leading up to it. Yomiko and Nenene also spent very little time interacting given that the series began with her depressed about Yomiko's disappearance and desperate to know where she was. Nancy seems to have a sensible character arc about her emerging from her childlike state to met her adult responsibility of motherhood, but such an arc is muddled by her seeming to take to motherhood very well immediately.

The little details are good but the higher-level stuff is sloppy in comparison.
Apr 8, 2021 10:41 AM

Apr 2020
The OVA is better but this one is not worse by much tbh. 7/10 same score.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Apr 13, 2021 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
Whew, everyone survived in the end, including Junior. Mr. Gentleman is no more, although I can't believe that Joker and Wendy were spared, but Yomiko truly is an empath, and is willing to give everyone a second chance, although whatever Junior did to Joker, he's not same anymore, lol. Nancy discovered a little more about herself towards the end, and matured a bit.

This was a great anime, even better than the OVA, due to being longer in length. This anime suddenly makes me want to start reading books, which is something that I haven't done in years. I used to like reading as a child, but the school I went to had this stupid MS-DOS program called "Accelerated Reader," which turned reading into a chore. The program was meant to encourage reading among children, but it backfired, and pushed many children away from reading, sadly.

When I got into my mid-20s, I took a second crack at reading books, and read "Anne of Green Gables," which I really enjoyed, and was also featured in this anime. I meant to continue reading more books, but I put it off, and never went back, but watching this anime has made me want to read books again. I think maybe I'll read "War of The Worlds," or "1984" next.

Edit: Looks like I won't be reading "1984," as it apparently contains sex. Why is it so difficult to find clean books?
_-_Sally_-_Apr 13, 2021 3:59 PM

Aug 4, 2021 8:47 PM
Jul 2014
The concept of a paper master or person who controls paper and is an agent is pretty cool. I liked the OVA more and that's what drew me into the series. Thought the TV series was interesting in the beginning, but fell off for me around the middle of the series. Found it hard to invest and pay attention to the show overall.

I think Joker and Wendy having no real repercussions and the vagueness with the dog and his mind coming back was weird storytelling. Definitely could have been executed better.
Jun 24, 2022 12:21 AM

Jan 2020
We got a glimpse of Nenene's underboob, but I am still disappointed that, considering the OP, there wasn't much fanservice. We only got to see the one set of boobs.

I honestly was a bit baffled that Yomiko had the option to destroy all the machinery and chose not to because, "they would simply rebuild it." Okay? It would still stop them now and at least give Yomiko and the rest of the gang more time to perhaps come up with a more permanent solution. But, at the end of the day it looks like talk-no-jutsu actually did succeed this time. Though, flooding Joker's mind and essentially crippling certainly helped.

Other than that, I enjoyed the series more than I thought I would. Especially considering I was vastly indifferent to it when I was growing up and saw commercials for it on TV. Despite only really particularly caring for one of the characters, the plot and action was rather interesting. I certainly have come out of this a little bit more inspired about writing a fourth book.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 19, 2023 11:04 PM

Dec 2015
Fantastic show I enjoyed through and through. It may not qualify as a "classic" of its time, but compared to modern anime this show is such a breath of fresh air. Characters are vibrant and likeable, plot is over-the-top and intriguing, animation (at least the sakuga bit) is about as good as it gets.
Jan 9, 2:04 PM
Aug 2021
Surprisingly good show!

More topics from this board

Poll: » R.O.D the TV Episode 2 Discussion

AbZeroNow - May 16, 2013

11 by hitoki27 »»
Jan 31, 8:45 PM

Poll: » R.O.D the TV Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2012

13 by hitoki27 »»
Jan 31, 8:37 PM

Poll: » R.O.D the TV Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2012

10 by MiMiXSheShe »»
Dec 9, 2023 9:27 PM

Poll: » R.O.D the TV Episode 9 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Oct 24, 2010

12 by oceanmachine »»
Jun 4, 2023 9:09 PM

Poll: » R.O.D the TV Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2012

10 by Eziprez »»
Apr 8, 2023 1:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.