Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Genshiken
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 8, 2013 10:23 AM

Dec 2008
Ep 1 was pretty good. Even without very adorable Tsundere cosplaying Saki, this'll work just fine!
Sue, let me be your waifu <3
Jul 8, 2013 10:50 AM

Jun 2013
hilarious as always and it's a trap!!
Jul 8, 2013 11:23 AM

Dec 2009
Genshiken is back, and now with massive Bakemono references :DD
Jul 8, 2013 11:36 AM

Oct 2007
Fujoshi club... will they see Madarame x Trap like me ^o^

I didn't read the manga yet but really like it! I still would like the Kenshinken manga ending adaptation, even as an OVA (better as an OVA than as a flashback, it would be more episodes for the current one ^o^)

I think it's normal for an otaku club - specially for an otaku club - that, since the president is a girl, most/all the new members are girls! You know it well in MAL no? girls and guys have very different taste in anime/manga, and even if they like the same it's not for the same reason! And guys otaku (we are specking about Japanese male otaku!!!) are not used to speak with girls (even most non otaku guys, even in university!!) so if the president is a girl, they will not even come near... they don't even need to be fujoshi, being girls, and specially cute as Ogiue is more than enough!
Jul 8, 2013 6:26 PM

Jul 2008
First they skip the last volumes of the original Genshiken manga, then they change every single seiyuu? Anyone knows why? I rarely care for seiyuu, but especially kuchiki's change annoys me.

That said, since I did read the manga I will still enjoy the heck out of this, also because I actually do like Nidaime (volume 2 of Nidaime was actually one of my favorite Genshiken volumes, can't wait for them to animate that part).

I personally wouldn't recommend watching this without reading the manga because of that huge gap though.
On the other hand: I'd probably say the same thing if I'd read the Kami Nomi manga and I'll still watch S3 even though I didn't because of the lack of an official English release.
NickienatorJul 8, 2013 6:31 PM

Jul 8, 2013 6:33 PM

Oct 2012
Kuromii said:
When Sue called Madarame "Rararame-san"... I laughed.

So happy to have Genshiken back ♥

My favorite part haha. Loving Sue with the Bakemonogatari references.
Jul 8, 2013 9:28 PM

Mar 2010
I'm glad this show showed some of the old cast even if only for a little bit! I missed this anime and I am glad its back!
Jul 9, 2013 4:27 AM

Mar 2010
well dunno if they did it in manga but it's kinda sad they skipped graduation of Saki and the rest
Jul 9, 2013 1:01 PM

Apr 2013
Oh boy.

The calm and chill atmosphere is gone. And worse, the girls couldn't be more annoying(my ears blech). Thought I wouldn't have to say this but alas..

Suuure can't wait for things to get heterosexual up in here.
Jul 9, 2013 1:40 PM

Mar 2012
Monogatari, so good that it even saves other series.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 9, 2013 7:47 PM

Feb 2011
Good episode, it brought back many characters. I watched the earlier seasons in dub so the so called "new" VAs dont really bother me (but they were great nonetheless). I thought Merei was just a fat guy at first :P. I havent read the manga so maybe Ill pick it up.

Jul 9, 2013 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
While I'm glad to see the return of Genshiken (not to mention I been reading on other boards that this new series/1st ep has sparked people's interest in going back to watch the previous series) I have to say I really miss the old Madarame voice. The replacements for Sasahara, Kousaka, Saki and others were (for the most part) similar to how they sounded before, but Madarame sounds too different to me (my one friend states it's because he's worn out from being a working-man, that's why he doesn't sound as geeky LOL)
Oh well, looking forward to more.

Jul 10, 2013 1:38 AM
Apr 2011
It's a shame they skipped Sasahara and Ogiue's arc.
Jul 10, 2013 2:14 AM

Dec 2012
For Genshiken series, the episode is bland for me. Can't say I liked any of the new characters (although I am aware that it's just the first episode), but I never had this problem with the previous seasons ;_; All and all, the old cast reappearance made my day. How Madarame is still infatuated with Saki was the hit.
Jul 10, 2013 3:46 AM

Jan 2009
loved the references
Jul 10, 2013 10:46 AM

Apr 2011
ravagestorm said:
I know right! Let's hope it get covered at some point, maybe in that OVA coming on December 20.
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Jul 10, 2013 10:52 PM

Nov 2012
damn it is looks promising LOL XD
I see shinobu cosplay here.. XD what? she is using high heel? WOW XD
wonder if shinobu wearing high heel too XD
Jul 11, 2013 12:28 AM

Jan 2012
For the most part, I highly enjoyed the episode, and I missed Genshiken so much.

On the contrary, it's going to take a while for me to get used to the voice acting change... I know the whole staff and VAs were switched out for this series all together as well as the animation company, but Madarame in particular is going to take a few episodes for me to feel better with his voice. He quite frankly doesn't sound as otaku as he used to in previous seasons. Although overall, I think as a revamp, most of the characters' voices fit well.

I personally love the opening theme song, and although it wasn't as full of impact as openings from previous seasons (for me personally), it was still a fabulous song all together.

Loved all the anime references, though, and although there is a much more different feel with the animation and new staff, I think it definitely suits the new Genshiken Nidaime overall.

Can't wait for more to come!
tsukiko_prprJul 11, 2013 12:36 AM
Jul 11, 2013 5:32 AM
Apr 2011
K-Shuun said:
ravagestorm said:
I know right! Let's hope it get covered at some point, maybe in that OVA coming on December 20.

The author himself commented on this and he hopes that the arc be animated in OVA format.

I just hope that Nidaime will not concentrate too much on Hato. I won't mind having fillers for Ohno and Ogiue. Well in Genshiken, the author is the one making up stories for the fillers like in season 2 Ohno X Tanaka episode. So basically anime fillers are still considered as canon.
Jul 11, 2013 3:46 PM

Sep 2007
Just marathoned the entire series and have noticed the improved animation quality but the different voices are going to take a little while to get used to ...

The Bakemonogatari references in this episode were awesome though ...
AllografterJul 11, 2013 4:01 PM

Jul 12, 2013 5:10 AM

Aug 2012
Also love the Way they keep the old Character ... ill just get used to the new voice .. awwww... i can't just love this!
"I don't like Megane, I love them"

Jul 13, 2013 3:34 AM

Apr 2013
After watching Genshiken , Genshiken OVA , & Genshiken 2 i grew accustomed to all the character's VA. It was pretty weird for me to jump to Nidiame and hear all the New VA's replacing the old cast ( especially madarame's which was kinda too deep and missed that squeakyness madarame had whenever he spoke). Anyways it doesn't really matter that much now that most of the old Genshiken crew have just supporting roles. The character design for Ohno-san was tweaked a bit maybe on the face :/ but its okay ,i mean it has been years since Genshiken 2 aired and animation has changed ever since. First episode was pretty cool , introduction to the new characters and that suprising revelation of Hato-kun being a cross dresser when i thought Yajima was actually a guy with big man boobs o__o . As a fellow Genshiken fan i'll keep watching and see how it goes this season.
Jul 13, 2013 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
I just can't watch this without the old VA, will switch to the manga
Jul 14, 2013 2:54 PM

Oct 2009
My Sue level has hit the roof.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jul 14, 2013 9:55 PM

Mar 2013
am i the only one who finding the improved animation weird? it is probably just because i am so used to the old animation
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 15, 2013 3:01 AM

Nov 2010
Kuchiki almost had his Harem

Liked the reference as well

2 bad for the cast change, I miss Madarame's voice
Jul 15, 2013 11:00 PM

Apr 2013
That new animation/10 lovin it, and all that Bakemonogatari references? pretty hilarious!
Jul 18, 2013 3:58 PM

Jan 2010
I thought Yajima was gonna be a guy omg
i'll probably watch the other two series afterwards
Jul 21, 2013 4:39 PM

Aug 2008
Ahhh, so they aren't going to bother to animate the rest of Genshiken where they left off after the second season? Hell, Ogiue and Sasahara hadn't even gotten together yet :(

I'm glad to see Sue is her usual self though for some reason I'd love to see her throw more English at Madarame, his confused look is amusing. :)
Jul 22, 2013 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
I didn't recognized ogiue with her new hair style so now is a fujoshi club favorite new member: hato <3 and it was nice to see Rararame senpai again :,)

shin-angelJul 22, 2013 5:00 PM
Jul 23, 2013 11:08 AM

Dec 2008
A good start, but I have to say that things are slightly different from the manga and the previous season. It was my interpretation of the Manga that the POV of the first chapter of the relaunch was from the viewpoint of Yoshitake and Yajima, but in this episode it's obviously from the viewpoint of Ogiue. I can understand why that is the case, since Ogiue is a character we already know, and a large focus of the Genshiken 2. I guess I just have to adjust my view and come to understand the same situations from a different viewpoint.

I wish they brought the original voice actor of Madarame back, as the new voice actor changes how I view the character. With the deeper voice, he seems more serious. Perhaps this is due to Madarame getting into his job more, and all that. Either way, I hope the new voice actor does as good of a job as the previous one. It was also great seeing the interaction between Madarame and Saki. I will continue to read Spotted Flower, and hope the best for Madarame in the manga.
Jul 28, 2013 12:22 PM

Dec 2008
Genshiken has always been a nice slice of life anime, not to sure about the new cast though. Guess I need more time to get used to them.
Jul 31, 2013 4:32 PM

Feb 2008
I'm happy that Fukuyama is going with the voice of Inukamis mc for this one.

Voices might take sometime to get used to, but i haven't seen the first two seasons of genshiken in years, but i re-read the manga just yeasterday to prepare.

It's not a bad start.
Aug 2, 2013 6:00 PM
Aug 2010
Anyone know why the changed all the voice actors? I don't have a problem with these voice actors themselves (except for Jun Fukuyama, really doesn't match that character) but it just feels weird to hear different voices on the same characters. Even if the production company is different, they can still hire the same VA.

You can see Sue watching Bakemonogatari early in the episode. Also, the "There's no way a girl this cute can be a guy" is a Steins Gate reference.

Was Yoshitake that cute in the manga? Now she's got both looks and personality.

Lastly, the anime just re-affirms my gayness for Hato.
BobjonesAug 2, 2013 6:07 PM
Aug 3, 2013 11:04 AM

Jan 2012
Stark700 said:

So adorable. I hope to see more references later on in the upcoming episodes as well!

I had to pause my video after this scene, couldn't stop laughing at the reference!!! >_______<
Sep 18, 2013 2:58 PM

Jul 2008
To those asking if they need to have seen the original series first before venturing into this; yes, of course. It's a sequel. If you're even moderately interested in the premise, then I can't fathom why starting from the beginning is such taboo. Go watch the originals first, or miss out on a ton otaku entertainment and character development that will give voice, presence and depth to both the former and current main cast alike.

As for the episode, it just seemed a little off to me. Very rushed and bland. Way too soon to bring back most of the original cast, too. I liked that the manga made us wait while establishing the new generation of Genshiken. The new voices, too, will take a little getting used to. I haven't watched the original series in years but they still seem off. I hope it picks up from here on; I love Genshiken. The original series and the manga will always be some of my all-time favourites.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 5, 2013 4:29 PM

May 2012
Pretty weird start I must say for a reason this doesn't feel right for a reason? Hmm either way lets see what this season will show us!
Oct 11, 2013 4:11 AM

Oct 2008
This was a really fun first episode.
It's been almost 5 years since I've watched the previous Genshiken seasons, and I still remember every single character and what they're like..
Feb 10, 2014 9:16 AM

Mar 2013
As a Genshiken fan I must say that I'm very disappointed. Putting aside the horrible idea to skip out Ogiue x Sasa development and everything else in between the transition, the real killer here is the Mass Seiyu change. Honestly I think it's nearly criminal. Hiyama, Nobuyuki is one of my favorite Va's (Hiei from YYH, Viral TTGL, Madarame Bleach etc) and he did a great job with Madarame in Season 1/OVA/Season 2. Replacing him with the unknown Okitsu, Kazuyuki is nearly unbearable. Losing all the other seiyu is devastating as well, but ridiculously that makes the huge downside of our former main characters taking a backseat more tolerable, since as is in my mind they are sorta "false". Even The one "upgrade" in star power, namely Fukuyama, Jun for Kuchiki is a poor fit. Jun is one of my favorites, but he doesn't remotely correlate to a character like Kuchiki as displayed in the originals (EDIT- After watching a bit more it seems Jun's skill is so great that he can pull it off). In short the murder of the old Va's is an abomination.

The new animation may seem like a positive, however characters like Saki became drastically less attractive. Being nay unrecognizable, compounded by having a new Va, completely destroys all the build up from the past seasons and leaves us with impostors. Ogiue is now unrecognizable to me, literally. Multiple times i had no idea who she was, and without being able to rely on voices anymore..

The Monogatari references are solid, but as a fan of both Kujibiki Unbalance i had some difficulty recognizing the poster references due to the notable differences .

I rarely drop series, and since i have not tackled the manga i am even more loath to do, but this one has me seriously tempted. The new characters being uninteresting certainly don't help matters. Not having the former main characters around makes it borderline unbearable, and the Nisemono Ogiue and Ohno doesn't remedy things.
SlickDFeb 10, 2014 9:40 AM
Mar 9, 2014 6:47 AM

May 2008
Changing Madarame's voice is like denying his whole existence :(
CCL_SamaMar 9, 2014 7:43 AM
May 10, 2014 1:48 PM
Aug 2007
Aghhhhhhh, the voices... make them stop :'(

Having just marathoned the entirety of Genshiken, this feels far too different. What happened since the end of Genshiken 2? Why have we missed out on Sasa x Ogi relationship buildup? Wasn't Ohno the president?

Speaking of Ohno, she looks too different and her voice is weird. And Madarame's VA is what made him so good, this new guy is too mellow. And Saki looks soooooooo different and not as attractive at all.

*Siiigh* really sad that there have been so many VA changes. Even Kukichi doesn't sound right, and when he suddenly started to talk like Lelouch in his deep and serious voice, it felt completely off character.
Jun 21, 2014 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
I have to say, I agree with those last few comments. As I just finished re-reading the manga up to 100 I decided to re-watch the anime form the beginning before I watched the Nidiame. I was so disappointed to hear the new VA's. They really don't fit. Madarame and Kuchiki's voice makes them sound like totally different people. The animation is off, Ohno looks just wrong, and so does Kasukabe. From someone who followed the manga first the change of look in Oguie is fine but without the right voice just feels funny. These are the impressions I got from just watching the 1st episode so I will persevere but if all else fails I have always got the manga! (Why the hell did they skip Sasa x Ogi build up?!!)
Sep 25, 2014 12:31 AM

Feb 2013
Genshiken is back! I miss the old voices though. I think they were better. Maybe I'll get use to this. In the OP I thougt Ogiue was drawing Sousuke from "Full Metal Panic!". That obvious Monogatari reference! And IT'S A TRAP! Damn it! Also I think I heard a Oreimo reference. Great start!
Dec 30, 2014 10:48 PM

Nov 2011
New Studio, better studio actually, art and animation is great, but why did they change the VA? the former ones were perfect, i've also been waiting for the vacation trip when Oguie and Sasahara hooked up but it looks like it's been skipped, still hoping to see it as a flashback or something.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 17, 2015 3:15 AM
Sep 2009
While Oguie is drawing to attract new members...

Mar 1, 2015 6:11 AM

Nov 2011
What the fuck happened? Nooo! A wicked alike, should not make me! After the first few minutes of loss due to the many changes, those fans will have understood what I mean, I found still pleasant narration that despite everything is nice and full of quotations.
The new change of pace is seen heavily in the study of production that makes under the technical and graphic quality as this anime very different designs and animations.
Great scenery, nice opening and ending; for the soundtrack await the next episodes to evaluate it.
I hate the new dubbing given to the historical characters of Genshiken.
May 1, 2015 10:09 PM

Mar 2013
I'm still recovering from the change of seiyuu, not quite "adapted' yet
Jun 4, 2015 8:15 PM

Jan 2010

I doubt Ogiue has enough staying power to be the face of Genshiken Second Gen, but she's sure as hell trying.

But yeah, um, that's an alarming amount of Monogatari. Senjougahara on the television, the Arararararararagi and Hachikuji comedy routine, and the Shinobu cosplay, wow. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's...umm...an interesting choice. Anyways, I believe Ohno's cosplay was a Kinnikuman reference, so at least, things feel updated for 2013. It's not all from the same pool of references, so that's nice.

It was nice seeing most of the old gang together, even for a moment, but it is odd how this truly feels like a new series. As in, the comedy is faster, the animation is more lively and varied, the the art itself can match any other show from recent years. Well, the last point may mean that it's homogeneous with recent shows, but at least, the updated art does the most in making it feel new. And oh, I just checked. Production I.G. How about that.
Jan 31, 2016 7:48 PM

Dec 2012
I really like that Ohno actively tries, in her own way, to make Hato feel a bit more confortable, instead of letting things get out of hand. The old Genshiken crew are apparently fine with him as well. Even Kuchiki kinda helps there.

The new girl Yoshiyake seems to be a quite fun. I speciall like the trollish face she makes when they're asking Madarame and Sasahara which of the new members is crossdressing.

Yajima on the other hand... well, I guess I'll keep watching to see if her annoyed attitude is selective towards certain individuals or a natural trait of hers.
TulicloureJan 31, 2016 8:00 PM
Dec 10, 2016 11:28 AM

Feb 2013
I loved it!
This has the potential to be the best season.
Two more girls + a crossdresser.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

89 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 2, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

44 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

91 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

44 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

38 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 10:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.