Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 6, 2013 12:53 PM

Mar 2013
OP and ED are fucking wonderful.

Magical Girls.
Jul 6, 2013 12:53 PM

Sep 2012
Orsonius said:
Good opening.
Not so good character designs but will get used to.

I was pretty hyped for this show, but it had major issues right from the start.

What happened to Fuyuna ?

What was a dream and what wasn't?

Why was the ending fight so rushed?

Where did she get her powers from (I know from the tarot but it was not clear how that happened)?

I hope these things will be addressed or it starts out with more plotholes other shows end with...

Fuyuna was erased, that's why the day was restarted with out her.

If it was up to me, I'd say none of it was a dream.

Ending fight wasn't rushed IMO, it was probably a low leveled what ever it is versus three experienced fighters.

Obviously not everything will be explained in the first episode, they'll probably get to telling where the powers come from when it seems fit. (Hopefully)
Jul 6, 2013 1:07 PM

Mar 2012
wooh. I am glad that girl died. didn't like her from the start
Jul 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Oct 2011
0_________________0 OMG!!
Jul 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Aug 2010
Probably the best OP/ED this season as of yet, though that's not saying too much.

It's like someone put together Higurashi, BRS and Madoka, I'm liking it so far, let's hope it keeps up! 4/5.

Was that a blond gypsy, or someone just went too far cosplaying?
Jul 6, 2013 1:45 PM

May 2010
Started watching this going o its one of those, then things took an 180 gonna watch this show for now, since one of the girl looks like black rock.
Jul 6, 2013 1:50 PM

Apr 2011
Madoka 2??

The OP and ED were beast. The designs were a bit wacky. Good episode. 4/5
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Jul 6, 2013 1:57 PM

Jul 2009
Another new dark magical girl series. Much better first episode than I expected.

They killed off the brooding meganekko who reads Albert Camus right away though? WHY? (._.)

Also, character design looks too much like Lucky Star. It makes it look kind of cheap.
誰も、未来を信じない
Jul 6, 2013 2:06 PM

Feb 2011
UtsukushiiYume said:

Jul 6, 2013 2:14 PM

Sep 2012
Way Darker than expected.
Jul 6, 2013 2:23 PM

Aug 2009
waaaa ;_;
kinda 9/10 i suppose
will stick to it
Fire Emblem Heroes - 9261576256
Jul 6, 2013 2:30 PM

Nov 2007
Pretty epic for some reason it rlly reminded me of Madoka.
It's just a lil confusing...
Jul 6, 2013 3:24 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
my mind got raped
Jul 6, 2013 4:29 PM

Sep 2010
So confusing! Can't wait until next week ;____;
Oh, and that OP, been waiting for it for a loooong time. LiSA! <3
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Jul 6, 2013 4:47 PM

Oct 2008
KIIITAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! The most anticipated anime for quite some time.

Great animation, eargasmic soundtrack and just that hint of mystery.

Pacing felt a little rushed near the end though. A lot of things happened very quickly and sometimes hard to determine how things are linked together.
It also felt that Fuyuna fell to the dark side a little too fast, without doing much character investment. I'm also a little apprehensive of them pulling the shock factors right in the first episode. What made Madoka great was that buildup, followed by the shock to establish the characters. However, I'm sure these things will be resolved though as we go through the story, hopefully.

The soundtrack is amazing.

Akari felt like a completely different person when she transformed and we know that "monsters" come from cards and/or negative human emotions. I really, really, REALLY hope they do not go down the monster per week thing though. That would just kill this series.

Did I mention the soundtrack is amazing? The OP and ED are really, really good, especially the OP.
OmniknightJul 6, 2013 5:41 PM
Jul 6, 2013 4:54 PM

Jul 2012
Voids said:

(a)Fuyuna was erased, that's why the day was restarted with out her.

If it was up to me, I'd say none of it was a dream.

(b)Ending fight wasn't rushed IMO, it was probably a low leveled what ever it is versus three experienced fighters.

(c)Obviously not everything will be explained in the first episode, they'll probably get to telling where the powers come from when it seems fit. (Hopefully)

(a) If so it was not well presented. I couldn't really tell what was going on. In Shana it was explained and shown better.

(b) What? She encounters villain that was shown 2 times, suddenly transformation, fight 3 other girls and then even more characters.
That was the most rushed thing I've ever seen.

(c) They obviously don't have to, I just like to know what the fuck was going on.
There is no real telling why she became a magical girl, or even if she did because vs the plant she was watching someone else fight, while against the fireguy it was herself. Also who are the other 3 girls why are they thrown in like deus ex machina last second?

I would have liked it better if a) the whole erase thing would have gotten more attention. Then b) her fight with the fire guy was a 1on1 so we see how she transforms and suddenly is thrown into fight.

It looked like she knew what she was doing as if it was a flashback
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 6, 2013 4:58 PM

Feb 2011
This is pretty dull, but I'll give it a few more episodes... First time I'm saying that about a show of this amazing season.
Jul 6, 2013 5:06 PM

Jan 2008
Liking the opening by LiSA. Need a credit-less version.
PaulJul 6, 2013 5:11 PM
Jul 6, 2013 5:15 PM

Sep 2012
just lurking the thread.

i feel so nervous before watching it, i heard the rumors this anime is like Madoka and Kotoura-san.

My predictions is very hard to see, if this show goes downhill, i will never watch popular anime ever again.
i got the feeling that
Jul 6, 2013 5:19 PM

Jul 2012
ElfinMint said:
just lurking the thread.

i feel so nervous before watching it, i heard the rumors this anime is like Madoka and Kotoura-san.

My predictions is very hard to see, if this show goes downhill, i will never watch popular anime ever again.
i got the feeling that

Wait for the second episode to come out. If that one is bad don't watch the show. If it makes right what this episode failed go ahead.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 6, 2013 5:26 PM

Sep 2012
Seems like I found another favourite of the season. This had a nice and dark opening, I love it.
Jul 6, 2013 5:39 PM

Oct 2008
ElfinMint said:
just lurking the thread.

i got the feeling that

Madoka maybe, Kotoura-san no.

Kotoura-san had an amazing first episode followed by a trainwreck that crashes other trains.
Jul 6, 2013 5:46 PM

Jul 2011
From the OP I had that Madoka & Higurashi feelings and after watching the episode I see that I was not so wrong.
Jul 6, 2013 6:38 PM
Sep 2011
Well that was interesting. Some of the effects make this seem like a horror movie, with the screen shaking and static-ing.

What I liked
-The mixture of cute and horror, which, judging from the ending theme, will prevail throughout the show.
-Those three in the next episode preview were especially adorable.

-The fact that the show is open about its dark nature and doesn't try to use the cuteness to shock the audience.
-dat..... woman?
-This lethal spin on the whole "victim of the week" concept this show has. It would be nice if they could purify the people who are overcome by negative thoughts, but this isn't Precure.
-The Gothic Lolita woman. Very pretty.
-The animation, especially during the fighting.
-The fact that the other three had to save the main girl from her first fight, and point out how much of an amateur she is, rather than her being an overpowered main character.
-The fact that the characters use actual magical abilities, but don't call out the names of their attacks.

What I didn't like
-The art style. It becomes less noticeable after the first few minutes, but it's still kinda awkward.
-The moe moe character designs. The main girl in particular looks like something out of K-On.

Even that pregnant woman looked like a loli.
-The aforementioned rushed second half, especially the way the other three suddenly appeared.
-Dat loli bondage. One of those vines in the second half was going under her shirt. > > Not a big deal though.
-The blue haired girl. It seems like if a character is voiced by Eri Kitamura, they're bound to have a stubborn, judgmental personality. It's too soon to judge her right now since she's only had like... two lines of dialog, but I'm optimistic.

I would have been ROYALLY confused if I hadn't read this thread before watching. The part where the day resets.

The only thing in this show that reminded me of Madoka was the image of the main girl in the opening where she's floating naked in the fetal position, but that's pretty common in anime openings/endings, so...

All in all this is shaping up to be interesting. 8/10.
Jul 6, 2013 6:58 PM

Feb 2013
don't know what the fuck happened with that bitch with glasses
Jul 6, 2013 7:22 PM
Oct 2010
RLinksoul said:
I would have been ROYALLY confused if I hadn't read this thread before watching. The part where the day resets.
Well, I'm still confused about the resetting part.

Personally I don't think it did reset, it was more like the narrative just showed how time had changed (showing just a day instead of their whole lives). I still can't say for sure this is how it was.

Also, we still need next episode to know what happened with the second "monster". Will the fire get undone? if it doesn't does it mean that a third party caused it? or is there something different between the creepy guy's and the cousin's case?
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 6, 2013 7:27 PM

Sep 2011
I lol @ the people saying that it's confusing, it's so straightforward so far.

Cousin was possessed by something (We don't know yet), and then tried to kill Akari (maybe because she felt hatred towards her.) Akari's "Spirit" or w/e it is killed the beast, thus killing the person being possessed.

Day reset will prob be explained in the upcoming episodes, but basically her existence was erased somehow and the day repeated itself without her knowing.

Good first episode, it has my interest 8/10.
Jul 6, 2013 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
Omniknight said:
ElfinMint said:
just lurking the thread.

i got the feeling that

Madoka maybe, Kotoura-san no.

Kotoura-san had an amazing first episode followed by a trainwreck that crashes other trains.

I don't really see where this guy is getting ANY type of Kotoura-san vibe from this. Yeah, they both have strong first episodes... but that's it. Really. We haven't seen any of the other episodes to know if it turns to shit later on.
Jul 6, 2013 8:06 PM

Feb 2008
· Blatantly trying to leech off Madoka's success.
· Abysmal character designs. There aren't many anime that look more terrible than this.
· Little to no context. What does the Tarrot club/business have to do with anything? Why did the main character's mother die?
· Pretty sure you can't get tangled mid-air by plants unless you weigh about 10 pounds and have mental problems.
· Hilariously bad and cloying drama that comes from nowhere, with the sole purpose to 'shock' the audience.
· Insipid main character who is developed solely through awkward expository dialogue and said shock value.
· After the main character brutally murders her sister (because that makes sense), she is entirely happy in the next scene when they go to see her at a grave. Nice way to completely undermine whatever impact the death was supposed to have in the first place.

In case you didn't notice, I'm not a fan. Dropping and moving on.
Jul 6, 2013 8:12 PM

Jan 2011
Could this be a hidden gem of the season who knows throwing out Madoka could easily lead to disappointment hopefully not, but this indeed was interesting

Foreshadowing of that girl was huge didn't even catch her name would like to see that stuff get explained.
Jul 6, 2013 8:16 PM

Apr 2013
Veronin said:
· Abysmal character designs. There aren't many anime that look more terrible than this.
· Little to no context. What does the Tarrot club/business have to do with anything? Why did the main character's mother die?
· Pretty sure you can't get tangled mid-air by plants unless you weigh about 10 pounds and have mental problems.
· Hilariously bad and cloying drama that comes from nowhere, with the sole purpose to 'shock' the audience.
· Insipid main character who is developed solely through awkward expository dialogue and said shock value.
· After the main character brutally murders her sister (because that makes sense), she is entirely happy in the next scene when they go to see her at a grave. Nice way to completely undermine whatever impact the death was supposed to have in the first place.

half the things you say are 1) ignorant 2) will be explained later on.. won't miss yah around here.
Jul 6, 2013 8:18 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Not sure what to think of this yet o_o certain parts were a tad creepy, which was interesting. I like the dark atmosphere, but the character designs are so ugly, especially their proportions. The OP was great though, loving LiSA's vocals :)
Jul 6, 2013 8:19 PM

Jan 2012
Stark700 said:

Could be one of the rare gems of the season :3

I really hope so~ I wasn't that impressed :/

EDIT: Also, just to say, Madoka started out so much better :P

Jul 6, 2013 8:25 PM

Sep 2011
Veronin said:

Though I don't like bashing people. I'm going to have to lol @ you.

· Abysmal character designs. There aren't many anime that look more terrible than this. -

Lol. Character designs were fine. Keep nitpickin' because there's tons of show with shittier character designs than this.

Yeah It's totally going to be explained in episode 1, right? Again, episode 1.

You didn't even watch the show or at that even paid attention, your ignorance is funny as fuck. Existence was obviously erased when the cousin was somehow "Possessed" by something and then later killed. If you noticed tarot cards were inside the one man near the end of the show when the "Spirit or w/e" tried stabbing it (Obviously the same thing happened to her cousin due to despair just like the man. Also, see her? She saw her Mother again because the world reset somehow (Which will prob be explained later.) Also, it's her cousin smarts.

Oh, cya :).
TyrelJul 6, 2013 8:46 PM
Jul 6, 2013 8:33 PM

Oct 2008
IheartAnime77 said:
Stark700 said:

Could be one of the rare gems of the season :3

I really hope so~ I wasn't that impressed :/

EDIT: Also, just to say, Madoka started out so much better :P

I think all this comparison to Madoka or calling it a Madoka "clone" with an obvious deregatory tone is rather unfair to this series.

Yes, I can see that this anime is inspired off the success of Madoka, but aside from it being a darker themed, emotional, psychological, (story-driven?) mahou shoujo, it really has nothing else in common with Madoka. The word works differently, there's a different set of circumstances and the character interactions will probably be different (looks like they will form some sort of 4 person team and fight together).

Watch it for what it is. You only get disappointed if you're expecting another Madoka (which is especially hard to emulate a second time since a lot of the success of Madoka was based on it being one of the first reversals and deconstructions of the genre).

Veronin said:

Addressed above
Personal opinion, but to be frank, there aren't many animes that look better than this... I don't see what's wrong with the character designs. They are to proportion and have appropriate colour palettes.
The same reason why some characters in other forms of literary media have hobbies and don't have parents...
100% totally agree with you, but at least they didn't do a panty shot
Agreed that it was really rushed
Don't expect character development in the first episode...
You didn't realize it was the same scene, but with her cousin missing? -____-

OmniknightJul 6, 2013 8:58 PM
Jul 6, 2013 8:53 PM

Feb 2008
Tyrel said:
Lol. Character designs were fine. Keep nitpickin' because there's tons of show with shittier character designs than this.

"I disagree so you are wrong." Thanks for the stellar argumentation.

Tyrel said:

It is not an excuse. Episode one is when things should be explained, especially when they are bloody basic story details.

Tyrel said:
You didn't even watch the show or at that even paid attention, your ignorance is funny as fuck. Existence was obviously erased when the girl was somehow "Possessed" by something and then later killed. If you noticed tarot cards were inside the one man near the end of the show, when the girl tried stabbing it (Obviously this happened to her cousin somehow due to despair jsut like the man. Also, see her? She saw her Mother again because the world reset somehow (Which will prob be explained later.) Also, it's her cousin smarts.

Yeah, I'll admit that I stopped paying attention somewhere towards the end. Probably because it was bad and I don't have the time to waste on more seasonal dreck.

And you sound offended. Why? People will dislike things that you like. That's life. Stop being a child.
Jul 6, 2013 8:56 PM

Apr 2010
WELL...
That escalated quickly.

Jul 6, 2013 8:56 PM

Jul 2010
I picked this anime up just because of LiSA in opening (which was damn awesome! goosebumps all the way) but i gotta say that episode itself wasnt half bad as well ^^.Gonna keep watching, and also ED was great.
incompleteAEGISJul 6, 2013 9:01 PM
Jul 6, 2013 8:58 PM

Apr 2013
Veronin said:
Tyrel said:

It is not an excuse. Episode one is when things should be explained, especially when they are bloody basic story details.
I prefer to be left with mysteries after episode 1 then to know every detail of the show which would take away from the future plot twists.

And for the madoka argument, after a show is successful like Madoka Magica its normal that other shows will try to create the same atmosphere 1 = Money / 2 = success and good fanbase. I can name you plenty of shows with the same concepts that are both good.

~ Looks at mean score of completed list.. 5.0 ~ lulz ensues.
Jul 6, 2013 9:00 PM

Sep 2011
Veronin said:
Tyrel said:

"I disagree so you are wrong." Thanks for the stellar argumentation.

Tyrel said:

Tyrel said:
You didn't even watch the show or at that even paid attention, your ignorance is funny as fuck. Existence was obviously erased when the girl was somehow "Possessed" by something and then later killed. If you noticed tarot cards were inside the one man near the end of the show, when the girl tried stabbing it (Obviously this happened to her cousin somehow due to despair jsut like the man. Also, see her? She saw her Mother again because the world reset somehow (Which will prob be explained later.) Also, it's her cousin smarts.

Yeah, I'll admit that I stopped paying attention somewhere towards the end. Probably because it was bad and I don't have the time to waste on more seasonal dreck.

And you sound offended. Why? People will dislike things that you like. That's life. Stop being a child.

I just hate ignorant people. I'm in no way offended.
Jul 6, 2013 9:21 PM

Mar 2013
Despite the trailer, this had virtually no little girls splayed in compromising positions so, aside from a few things that didn't make sense, I'm pleasantly surprised at least.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jul 6, 2013 9:32 PM

Jun 2011
So far this is really interesting, and I especially love the tarot card theme. Can't wait to see which characters represent which cards.
Jul 6, 2013 9:45 PM

Feb 2013
Loooooooooove the tarot card theme. This first episode was rather messy and (as previously mentioned) had poor pacing. Whatever, the action scenes were nicely executed and the plot is intriguing. I'll keep watching for sure. Watching this kind of reminded me of Princess Tutu for some reason... Maybe it was the exaggerated proportions in the character designs or the semi-confusing plot in the beginning, I'm not sure. Well, I loved Madoka and Princess Tutu, so hopefully I will love this too.
bakcheiaJul 6, 2013 9:52 PM
Jul 6, 2013 10:12 PM

Jun 2012
That was way better than expected. It looks like it will stand above and apart from the rest of mahou shoujo anime after that episode.
Jul 6, 2013 10:29 PM
Sep 2010
That was pretty... something. I didn't like it much at all. Not sure I even want to give it another episode. I like darker series, but I don't know about this one. Hmm..

OP is mediocre at best. Not a fan of LiSA's voice. Didn't listen to the ED.
Jul 6, 2013 10:30 PM

Apr 2009
ZenErik said:
That was pretty... something. I didn't like it much at all.

Summed up my feelings perfectly. Really, what the hell.
Jul 6, 2013 10:47 PM

Mar 2012
This can be one of the most epic series this season. Hope this won't dissapoint me.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 6, 2013 11:15 PM
Jan 2010
It was pretentious — take it as you will. But it looks like it really impressed a lot of people.
Jul 7, 2013 12:11 AM
Nov 2012
Orix said:
It was pretentious — take it as you will. But it looks like it really impressed a lot of people.

Would you like to qualify that?
Jul 7, 2013 1:27 AM

Sep 2008
I hate all the character designs with a passion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2013

65 by BadMeme »»
Aug 10, 2022 4:57 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

49 by SuperGalaxy211 »»
Apr 11, 2020 8:29 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2013

83 by removed-user »»
Oct 2, 2019 6:26 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

54 by tokidoki921 »»
Sep 10, 2019 1:01 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2013

121 by removed-user »»
May 14, 2019 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.