Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 27, 2013 3:30 AM

May 2013
AhmedHan said:
What happened to all those bag full of energy drinks?

I think it was done to hide the true reason from other guys. So he plays mind games even against his own side...
May 29, 2013 3:33 PM

Jan 2012
The story was really nice, no complaints about that. However I really disliked the fact that we didn't get to see how Akagi won. That was really weird. Anyway, it was a good watch.

May 30, 2013 3:05 AM

Jan 2013
Such a great anime, and the the first ending song is amazing. Without a doubt in my top 5 ending songs of all time. The ending felt rushed, but I'll read the manga because I'm sure it'll tell more about the last match, even though it's clear Akagi won.
Jun 15, 2013 4:25 PM

Nov 2011
Damn, the ending seemed a bit ambiguous. Nonetheless, series was enjoyable but sometimes lacked flavor. I also felt the OST of this series is a bit inferior compared to Kaiji.
Jul 31, 2013 2:26 PM

Sep 2008
The ending was the thing that made me rate the series a notch lower. If they hadn't brag so much in the previous episodes, maybe they could finish the series properly. It seemed clear they didn't want to end it like this.
Oct 18, 2013 6:21 PM
Jun 2009
Finally finished Akagi.
I really liked the beginning but the last game just took so many episodes...
and without a good grasp of mahjong it is just a drag.

Also the ending was uh lame?

All the time I thought Akagi didn't care about his blood because he got something from the doctor's office to refill or so.
After all Akagi was a genius, but also a cheater... nothing tells us that he didn't try to cheat his way again...
Jan 5, 2014 11:40 AM

Jul 2011
tmasterson said:
The ending was the thing that made me rate the series a notch lower. If they hadn't brag so much in the previous episodes, maybe they could finish the series properly. It seemed clear they didn't want to end it like this.

Definitely. I thought maybe I could stick a score to it, but then it didn't end properly. If only they didn't waste that 3 episodes on him talking about killing Akagi I'd have a higher opinion.

However, started off as an awesome show. Akagi is mad and I love that. :D
Pre-time skip was excellent.
Jan 6, 2014 10:11 AM

Jan 2013
That ending....feels rushed. Overall, a solid and interesting series. The first couple of episodes was probably the highlight of the series for me.
Sep 19, 2014 3:06 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Akagi w/ the best poker face I've ever seen. What a champ.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Jan 24, 2015 10:02 AM
Oct 2013
I also feel like the ending is rushed but after reading about what happens to him in the Ten manga,
Feb 5, 2015 2:11 PM

Dec 2013
I heard the ending is shit so I was prepared for this. Wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm glad they showed the short scene indicating Akagi is the winner.
Well, I guess Taniuchi Hideki was just warming up. The OST wasn't as great as the one in Kaiji or the masterpiece of all OST - Death Note. Still it had a few good tracks.
The protag - Akagi - is easily one of the best characters of all time.
Wasn't as exciting as Kaiji or Death Note but at least it had something One Outs lacked - wagering the life of the MC.
Overall, I'm satisfied.
Mar 8, 2015 11:06 AM

Jun 2014
Losing at his own mahjong,

I love the representation of Akagi in Washizu's mind, a huge eagle-man

Akagi truly takes don't judge a person by their cover a step farther.

Mar 13, 2015 8:56 PM

Aug 2012
Honestly, having gone in with the knowledge that it ends on a cliffhanger, this wasn't that bad. You want to see bad, watch Berserk. I knew going in that was going to end at the worst possible place & it still pissed me off immeasurably. Here, it was, meh? Setting up the final round & then just a quick timeskip to show that Akagi survived (in his Ten appearance from what I understand). Okay. Maybe I'd be a little more upset if the Washizu arc didn't kill a lot of my love for the series.

& don't get me wrong, the arc, as it was, still had a lot to enjoy. They managed to implement the new rules & the new tiles without missing a beat & it still had plenty of clever mind games & reveals. But it also was really slow paced, repetitive (like Ougi constantly reminding us that Akagi is special, we're over half-way through the show, we picked up on this) & it just wasn't as enjoyable as the more quick-paced matches of the first half. I loved the first half, perhaps even more than Kaiji. The Ichikawa & Urabe bouts were both better built than the Washizu match but also had better psychology & strategies (Akagi out right cheating is something I really loved). I also thought those opponents were far more interesting than the over-the-top Washizu & his monologue about the demons on his back was just beyond stupid. Sure Akagi thought the same.

Anyway, yeah, the first half was better in my opinion. Outside of the story, the OST was pretty damn on-spot. Nowhere near as good as Kaiji's but still top-class in the show. The OP & the 2nd ED (which sounds like something I'd hear in a Tony Hawk Pro Skater game) are two of my favorites & I the first ED didn't stink either. The Art & Animation also wasn't as good as Kaiji (you're noticing a trend) but it was okay. I like Fukumoto's art but the sideways view of Akagi bothered me here a bit, I don't remember Kaiji having that issue. & as for characters well outside of Akagi, nobody is really note-worthy but damn if Akagi isn't one hell of a character. He definitely leaves a strong impression & following him was a joy. I'll gladly follow him again if a second season ever happens. 7/10.

Though from what I know about the manga, maybe it's best I don't . . .
Mar 14, 2015 5:45 PM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
Damn i'll really have to read the manga now!
May 29, 2015 4:47 PM

Nov 2011
Since no one was kind of enough to post the chapter to read after the anime ends, it's 109.
Jun 13, 2015 11:29 PM

Mar 2014
Great anime. Didn't understand anything, but the atmosphere and tension was awesome. Those small bits of action were epic as well-- it's not often you see a legitimate badass character. The ending was just, well, "no thank you" kind of thing. I'll give it a 9/10, especially for the fact that you could really feel the anime without really knowing mahjong.
Aug 18, 2015 8:52 AM
Nov 2014
What the fuck is that ? That is NOT an ending ffs... lmao. Akagi was a great MC, but I don't really like the Mahjong games that much to be honest and this ending...not really a fan of it. But it was a solid/good series, very thrilling at times and enjoyable despite the DRAG near the end.

8/10 from me.
Sep 26, 2015 9:04 AM

Jan 2012
I hate unfinished anime. If they had ever bothered to finish this match I would rate it a 8 or 9...but with no real ending, its a 7 tops.

You can pick up the story on chapter 109 of the manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2015 4:39 AM

Jan 2012
I figured out why they never made another anime season... After another 160 chapters of manga, they still have NOT finished they same game of majoh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2015 7:10 PM

Jan 2014
"unfinished anime"

I would say... There is a Drama (10 episodes, 2015) which is exactly what I expected : it starts directly with the fight against Wachizu and is really impressive. I can remember all the fells I had when I saw first the anime and I can only recommend to continue with the drama.

I did not read the manga, btw. All I can say is that the drama continue till the last game.

10/10 for both anime & drama

Reinhard von Lohengramm : "Constellations of stars that I am seeing for the first time... you are all only allowed to exist as objects for my conquest and rule. Just wait. "

Yang Wen-Li : Neither terrorism nor occultism have ever impacted history in any constructive way.

Ernst von Eisenach : Checkmate.
Nov 19, 2015 9:21 PM

Nov 2012
Pros:
-Suspenseful atmosphere
-Akagi

Cons:
-Pacing (Akagi vs Washizu lasted 10 episodes,didn't like the arc to begin with,even more so considering it wasn't even properly concluded)
-Things escalated too quickly,Akagi literally had two matches before the final boss (I know there was a timeskip in between and a limited amount of episodes but still...)
-Lacking understanding of mahjong (while it didn't bug me in prior to Washizu's match,if I had a better understanding Washizu's match wouldn't have been such a chore to sit through)

Prior to Washizu's match this was an 8/10,once his match started lowered to a 6/10.

Overall 6.5/10.
Dec 28, 2015 8:23 PM
Sep 2015
Episode 23 was pretty bad. Episode 24 was horrible beyond imagination. First half of episode 25 was awful, then it got better. And now they end the show like this without even an OVA.

Akagi quickly went from a 9/10 to a 6.5/10 for me. Now to decide if I want to round that up or down...
Jan 17, 2016 11:13 PM

Aug 2014
Ahh, why did it have to end like that? Was really enjoying this until that sudden ending. Shit...oh well.

Story/Plot[7/10] - Knew nothing about Mahjong going in, but still enjoyed this show. It was suspenseful with a grim atmosphere that kept me engaged throughout. I just didn't like how that last battle lasted 10 episodes and then it just stopped.

Characters[6/10] - I liked the character cast, although they were sort of forgettable. I only really liked Akagi, though the other characters were fine too. However, I didn't like the old man too much. I just hated how he laughed all the damn time, while saying "Die, Kill, Die" like every episode. Like my god, it's past your bedtime, old man. Not much depth or development, although it didn't make them worse or anything. Characters at the start stayed the same throughout, but were still really fun too watch. Akagi was a boss.

Art/Animation/Sound[6/10] - Not much I can say about it. I liked it all, though it was fairly industry standard. Above average for my fancy,

Personal Enjoyment[6/10] - Not really important, but overall was really enjoying this show, until that last match. Just dragged on, with annoying old guy. Other than that, still enjoyed the anime.

Critical Rating[7/10] - While I'll end up giving this a 6/10, I would say this anime is above average and 7/10 seems like a fair enough rating, given everything that happened. It was a fun watch, and one of those shows that should be watched at least once.

Akagi will go into my favorite characters list.
Jan 25, 2016 1:15 AM

Mar 2012
Amazing anime up until the last part which just dragged on forever and worst of all, didn't even finish...Cliffhanger ending yet not even a single OVA/S2 almost 10 years later. Very disappointing.

Even so, would definitely love to rewatch this show someday. Just wouldn't bother with the Washizu arc.
Feb 2, 2016 6:09 PM
Aug 2008
I'm really glad they haven't shown us the whole thing.
If the fake match took more than 10 episodes. What about this?!
It's a nice show in general. But these tall matches gets boring.
You'd like to know the outcome, especially when you assume that the match will end by the ending of the series.
I liked Akagi as a character. But I somehow got bored during the series (especially in the middle of Washizou's game).
Jun 23, 2016 12:52 AM

Jan 2016
You gotta be fuckin kiddin me that's how it ends

ARGHH
Sep 10, 2016 1:38 PM

Jul 2014
This wasn't as wonderfully intense as Kaiji was, but it was still a damn good show.

8/10
Oct 2, 2016 7:53 AM

Nov 2008
If you've read the manga you realise that they ended the anime in the best way possible.
Season 2 wouldn't even be possible, except if you're interested in seeing a 40 episode series of one single mahjong session.
Oct 31, 2016 8:31 AM

Mar 2013
Very fitting that Washizu has the same Seiyuu as Hyoudou from Kaiji. Somewhat similar fetishes and power as well. However Hyudou always has the advantage over Kaiji, and is always in the position of absolute power over him. Here Akagi is actually the hunter going after Washizu.

Ultimately that makes Hyoudou intrinsically the better Villain. Consequently it helps make Kaiji the strictly better gambling anime versus Akagi.

Extremely disappointing that they didn't properly conclude the match and the Arc, with a huge 11 episodes to have done so. Anime was in 2005/2006, a whopping 13 years after the start of the manga, so its hard to believe that the manga as of then didn't have a conclusion to this arc... Furthermore if it didn't, how could there be a supposedly cannon scene of 34 years later with Akagi alive, seemingly surviving.. There should have atleast been the remote possibility he could lose and die at the end of the match.. Supposedly from the comments above it really does drag in in the manga, so they actually couldn't finish it in the anime..

I thought the Bog/Pachinko arc from S2 Kaiji dragged on for a while in theory (Still loved it), and this also technically dragged on forever as well (Still liked it). The big difference is that Kaiji concluded the arc satisfactorily. Akagi did not. The difference between the 2 shows is equally vast and stark.

I rate Akagi a 9, versus both Kaiji seasons a 10, but the gulf is vast between the two. Additionally Akagi requires dedicated effort and time studying the rules and terms of Japanese Mahjong to have any hope of really appreciating Akagi. I did my best, and was able to understand most things (in conjunction with occasionally checking up terms/yaku, yaku hands, scoring rules etc), but this show, unlike Kaiji, can't draw in a more casual anime viewer like my family, as opposed to Kaiji which is way more understandable to the masses, and comprehensive in its explanations of the games.
SlickDOct 31, 2016 8:38 AM
May 2, 2017 5:17 PM

Aug 2014
Well... It ends on chapter 109. The last one is 296. Yep, 200 chapters, 2/3, and it's all THAT ONE MATCH. I'd love to see it in the anime, but I highly doubt it ever happening.

It was a blast anyway. 9/10
Jun 19, 2017 1:11 AM

Oct 2013
the ending was great, stop saying that it's not
Jun 20, 2017 6:00 AM
Jul 2018
Great show, great characters, great mahjong playing!
Wish they will at least continue from where they left on when the manga ends, but I doubt it seeing how Kaiji never got the love it deserved.
Jul 8, 2017 10:51 AM

Sep 2016
HOW CAN YOU END IT LIKE THIS???? lol wtf
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 26, 2017 4:30 AM

Aug 2014
YEROCKY said:
Ahh, why did it have to end like that? Was really enjoying this until that sudden ending. Shit...oh well.

Critical Rating[7/10] - While I'll end up giving this a 6/10, I would say this anime is above average and 7/10 seems like a fair enough rating, given everything that happened. It was a fun watch, and one of those shows that should be watched at least once.

Akagi will go into my favorite characters list.

Very much agree with this.
However i hear that the manga continues for a long time with the Washizu arc, so i think its good that they stopped.

The OST is so badass.
Jan 7, 2018 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
Welp this actually open ended didn't expected that coming. It could been really nice if there was 2nd season but it will never happen.

But the later arc, was too dragg-ish imo. Pacing should been little faster and there were too much over psychological dialogues, which could been reduced. I really liked first half and games could ended much shorter but I knew this last arc could had actually 10 episodes then I could drop it..

To sum up the show, Akagi's characters was the best thing of the show for me and soundtrack was really great too!! I see some here says Kaiji have conclusive ending, then I am looking forward to that show very soon. And still hoping someday SHAFT will pick this for remake..

Jan 7, 2018 3:39 PM

Sep 2016
SkyDrop said:
Welp this actually open ended didn't expected that coming. It could been really nice if there was 2nd season but it will never happen.

But the later arc, was too dragg-ish imo. Pacing should been little faster and there were too much over psychological dialogues, which could been reduced. I really liked first half and games could ended much shorter but I knew this last arc could had actually 10 episodes then I could drop it..

To sum up the show, Akagi's characters was the best thing of the show for me and soundtrack was really great too!! I see some here says Kaiji have conclusive ending, then I am looking forward to that show very soon. And still hoping someday SHAFT will pick this for remake..

there is a very well made live action series that complete this washizu arc.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 7, 2018 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
GangsterCat said:
there is a very well made live action series that complete this washizu arc.

Oh nice to know that kaiji also have live-action! thanks for that information! I am quite interested to see how the live-action handled the washizu arc (and of course how Akagi continued).

Sep 22, 2018 7:03 PM

Sep 2016
26 episodes and still didn't understand the fucking rules of the game, damn ._.
Sep 23, 2018 3:20 AM

May 2016
Washizu screwed up so many times that he put himself into a temporary state of shock to chicken out of the match before Akagi mixed ash into the extracted blood he drained into that dirty bowl Washizu might've sold off to Hyodo for a few bucks real soon.

Despite that new unforeseen handicap and the dangerously small margin of error, Akagi managed to win it all and live the luxurious life for another 30 years in the summer of '99.

Jun 3, 2019 5:38 PM

Oct 2015
Woah! That was a rushed ending, it felt like they had a limit of 26 episodes and couldn't go beyond that. Not even a season 2? They wanted to wrap things fast even though the story was large. The Washizu arc sure took longer and didn't even finish, I'm really disappointed since Akagi was able to rile up the old guy into a comeback match. That blood bait by Akagi convinced that Washizu to step up again, and things would've been interesting. Hated that they skipped to the late 90s without giving us the full details of the match.

But overall I enjoyed this series very much, Akagi is such a great gambler that's able to keep their composure. That poker face of his is the best in all that I've seen. I guess I will add him to my favorite characters! On the plot itself, in all honesty I didn't get the mahjong game at all, it looked and sounded complicated. In all the 26 episodes, the words Richii, Ron, Xia, Mangan and others were often thrown out but I didn't get what are they! All I wanted to know was if Akagi was winning or what thanks to the narrator. The intensity of the matches were my focus, but I wish to know the game someday. Also I wish it wasn't just about Mahjong only, Akagi also should've suffered a lose even if it was a single one. His lose would've made him to grow and learn to love the game more.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 5, 2019 6:23 PM

Dec 2013
lihle808 said:
Woah! That was a rushed ending, it felt like they had a limit of 26 episodes and couldn't go beyond that. Not even a season 2? They wanted to wrap things fast even though the story was large. The Washizu arc sure took longer and didn't even finish, I'm really disappointed since Akagi was able to rile up the old guy into a comeback match. That blood bait by Akagi convinced that Washizu to step up again, and things would've been interesting. Hated that they skipped to the late 90s without giving us the full details of the match.

But overall I enjoyed this series very much, Akagi is such a great gambler that's able to keep their composure. That poker face of his is the best in all that I've seen. I guess I will add him to my favorite characters! On the plot itself, in all honesty I didn't get the mahjong game at all, it looked and sounded complicated. In all the 26 episodes, the words Richii, Ron, Xia, Mangan and others were often thrown out but I didn't get what are they! All I wanted to know was if Akagi was winning or what thanks to the narrator. The intensity of the matches were my focus, but I wish to know the game someday. Also I wish it wasn't just about Mahjong only, Akagi also should've suffered a lose even if it was a single one. His lose would've made him to grow and learn to love the game more.

8/10.

You need to read the manga to truly understand Akagi's character. His character is so huge and well written that there's a sequel after Akagi named Ten in which you an see him as an old man.
Sep 2, 2019 3:59 PM

Nov 2016
Got blueballed and that after such a long game:S

Still a thrilling watch and Akagi is one of the most savage guys I've seen so far. Absolute madness.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 11, 2020 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
i had to endure eyepiercingly ugli ass noses, the world would do better without, only to be slapped by this lackluster nothingburger ending. what a joke. i demand my time back.
Jul 14, 2020 5:13 PM

Dec 2013
Or do the smart thing and read the manga
Jul 31, 2020 4:29 PM

Mar 2010
And thus akagi became a legend, what a chad of chads, lord of lords. Truly a inspiration to follow lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 8, 2020 9:47 PM

Nov 2012
Done rewatching, so what has changed since 5 years ago?

1. Still don't understand mahjong, can't be helped.
2. I appreciate this much more now for how unique of a series this is.
3. Akagi's character still fascinates me and I think I understand him more now at an older age.
4. Pacing is still slow but can't be help cause that's Nobuyuki Fukumoto's style.

I'm still highly curious about the rest of Akagi vs Washizu's match but with my limited mahjong knowledge I don't know if it be wise to read the rest of the manga. I mean for one we already know Akagi wins and survives but the details on how we don't know.

How much further do the stakes go? How does Akagi win? After he wins what does Akagi do next? Like I'm curious how would Akagi would continue to live after his match with Washizu? How could someone like Akagi continue to live knowing full well he will never have a true high stake deathmatch like he did with Washizu, I'm highly curious about that.
VanishingKiraOct 8, 2020 10:11 PM
Oct 13, 2020 3:19 PM

Feb 2014
Disappointing read the manga ending
Feb 11, 2021 3:42 AM

Mar 2019
Well, this ending sucked.
Ehh... it's the same issue as with Kaiji, the pacing gets slooow near the end. Still, I really liked all the arcs except for this last one and overall enjoyed this show more that Kaiji. I would love to see a 2nd season (though it's probably not possible at this point ;-;).
OωO
Feb 25, 2021 10:32 PM
Aug 2010
finally got around to this show after watching kaiji years ago.
complete blueball ending, but the intensity and akagi's character are so good.

spoiler warning:
I was curious about the rest of the story given that the manga only finished a few years after this episode aired and read the summary (of 200 chapters :D) here:
https://fukumoto.fandom.com/wiki/Akagi_Shigeru
Jan 13, 2022 1:53 AM

Feb 2020
Well, that a disappointing "to be continue" ending:(

Overall great anime, Akagi is a great character. But I probably didnt understand many aspect due to my limited mahjong knowledge and other worldly level of writing. Wish it had a eng dub, that would have made things much more better.

Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akagi Episode 25 Discussion

zq - Oct 18, 2007

23 by gophers-insides »»
Mar 30, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 23 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

20 by gophers-insides »»
Mar 30, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 7 Discussion

zq - Oct 16, 2007

27 by PatrickJaneFan »»
Mar 10, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 2 Discussion

zq - Oct 15, 2007

27 by gophers-insides »»
Dec 31, 2023 3:10 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zq - Oct 15, 2007

57 by gophers-insides »»
Dec 31, 2023 2:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.