Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 2, 2013 8:23 AM

Jan 2012
Or start off with Toaru Kagaku no Railgun instead? I hear people say the index series was Ok at best and that Index is extremely annoying. I kind of get that feeling of cliche from when I watched a few of the episodes.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 2, 2013 8:24 AM

Feb 2012
Watch index. Railgun is better, but watch Index.
Jul 2, 2013 8:26 AM

Jan 2008
Unless explained in the next episode of Railgun S, you need to watch Index to understand some things that occur in Railgun S. That or just go google it. You won't have any problems just watching season 1 of Railgun without having watched Index.
Jul 2, 2013 8:32 AM

Jul 2012
Should I bother watching Series 2?
Konbu is important
Jul 2, 2013 8:33 AM

Jan 2008
SuperHands said:

Of Index or Railgun?

So far, I don't think anything in Index 2 has relevance in Railgun (simply beacause it's further in timeline than Railgun/Railgun S) but Index 2 has Accelerator being extremely bad ass. If they decide to make Railgun S3, they might have references or timeline crossovers again and such considering Kuroko was somewhat important during that arc.
Jul 2, 2013 8:38 AM

Jul 2012
Paul said:
SuperHands said:

Of Index or Railgun?

So far, I don't think anything in Index 2 has relevance in Railgun (simply beacause it's further in timeline than Railgun/Railgun S) but Index 2 has Accelerator being extremely bad ass. If they decide to make Railgun S3, they might have references or timeline crossovers again and such considering Kuroko was somewhat important during that arc.

Yeah, I meant Index. LOL ok I'll give it a go then. Thanks.
Konbu is important
Jul 2, 2013 8:44 AM

Dec 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

All replies mentioning Index, the light novels, or the manga are entirely opinion based around their own feelings - but the fact of the matter is Railgun is a completely stand-alone series, and Railgun S is a direct sequel.

TallonKarrde23 said:

Railgun is factually, by definition, officially a stand-alone spin-off. This is a factual decision by Kamachi, by his editor, by the publishers of the light novel and railgun manga (ASCII Media Works), and maybe a little bit in part by JC Staff.
Jul 2, 2013 8:57 AM

Dec 2012
Watch Index, then start off at volume 14 of the light novels. Way better than Railgun.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 2, 2013 8:58 AM

Mar 2012
Railgun is definitely worth watching. Index? You can watch it if you want but you can just as easily skip it
Jul 2, 2013 9:03 AM

Jul 2011
I prefer Railgun but it's better if you watch Index first.
Jul 2, 2013 10:02 AM

Jul 2012
Yes so you can watch Railgun:

I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 2, 2013 10:08 AM

Jun 2012
I havent watched Raligun but Index is definitely worth watching.

S3 when?!
Jul 2, 2013 12:35 PM

May 2010
Unless explained in the next episode of Railgun S, you need to watch Index to understand some things that occur in Railgun S. That or just go google it. You won't have any problems just watching season 1 of Railgun without having watched Index.

What? IVe been following railgun just fine without having seen index, though i probably should at some point in time.

Anyway the general consensus is that railgun is far superior.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 2, 2013 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
I don't get why people like Railgun more, I thought Index was far more entertaining. Definitely watch it.
Jul 2, 2013 4:25 PM
Jun 2013
Railgun doesn't have the romance as index but the fights are somewhat cooler, so watch both
Jul 2, 2013 4:27 PM

Sep 2011
I'd just watch Railgun to be honest.
Jul 2, 2013 4:52 PM

Apr 2011
I wanted to like this series, but I just didn't. It's basically just an ok shounen mixed with school life. Index has way too much...Index. I only got through one episode of railgun, thought it was supposed to be better(maybe it is...) Then just immediatly started assuming the people who say that aren't very reliable when the first episode had stuff like this...
Jul 2, 2013 4:54 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah watch Index....

Although I personally don't really like it that much and I feel Railgun is vastly superior.
Jul 2, 2013 4:57 PM

Jun 2007
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I wanted to like this series, but I just didn't. It's basically just an ok shounen mixed with school life. Index has way too much...Index. I only got through one episode of railgun, thought it was supposed to be better(maybe it is...) Then just immediatly started assuming the people who say that aren't very reliable when the first episode had stuff like this...

Which is funny given ONLY the first episode has stuff like that. After that episode 2 and 3 have some small Kuroko fanservice, but then there's nothing. This is literally the ONLY TIME in the ENTIRE series where anyone but Kuroko has anything remotely near fanservice/ecchi material.

You used to say you were more open minded but clearly if you judge a series off of 15 seconds in episode 1 you're beyond biased and hilariously judgmental.
Jul 2, 2013 4:58 PM

Oct 2012
IMO, if you like Bleach or any of those shounen fight anime archetypes featuring a ignorant loudmouth with unique powers trying to protect his friends, then you'd love Index. To Aru Majutsu no Index doesn't accomplish anything original, it's largely derivative; in no parts will you be awed by the story or enamored in any of its cardboard characters, but there are beach vacations and sports competitions and girls to be saved -- everything that you'd expect from the genre. To me, as someone who doesn't like the shounen fight formula that much, and was burnt out half-way into One Piece and Naruto, Index seems like a mediocre, sometimes aggravating affair.

Railgun, however, is like a derivative of a derivative, like taking an already mediocre story and spinning off an even more mediocre side plot using its side characters. If Index is a shounen fight, Railgun is more typical than your typical slice of life. It is absolutely uninspiring, just going through the motions. Nothing occurs, but even more so, there is no character development. If you want to watch a slice of life anime, there plenty of better options, like Sakamichi no Apollon, or Tari Tari or Tamako Market, which while nothing to write home about, at least have an ounce of originality. Hell, even Yuru Yuri has its moments. Danshi Kakousei no Nichijou is hilarious. K-On! has its charm. School Rumble is a classic. Girls und Panzer is formulaic, but with a unique twist. Railgun, in my opinion is just flat, to be watched only in last resort.

TallonKarrde23 said:
[After that episode 2 and 3 have some small Kuroko fanservice, but then there's nothing. This is literally the ONLY TIME in the ENTIRE series where anyone but Kuroko has anything remotely near fanservice/ecchi material.
There is plenty of Kuroko innuendo across both Index and Railgun. The joke is played out.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2013 5:04 PM

Apr 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Which is funny given ONLY the first episode has stuff like that. After that episode 2 and 3 have some small Kuroko fanservice, but then there's nothing. This is literally the ONLY TIME in the ENTIRE series where anyone but Kuroko has anything remotely near fanservice/ecchi material.

You used to say you were more open minded but clearly if you judge a series off of 15 seconds in episode 1 you're beyond biased and hilariously judgmental.

If that really is true I will give it a second chance. Cause I like the world, I just had a similar issue with Index. Misaka is a cool character as well, I just wouldn't really be into her just becoming lolicon fanservice. You can't deny that episode had tons of fanservice, and the only other thing I had seen about railgun was a clip on Funimations you tube channel of them trying on bathing suits.

I got no issues with bewbs & buttz, I just tend to prefer them more...developed. Plus more so then the fan service my main issue was with her lesbian friend, who to me seemed like she was there JUST for those moments. It just didn't seem necessary, and knowing when I dislike something doesn't really have anything to do with being open minded. Being open minded comes into play more with things that are new, not things I've seen already. I'll give it a second chance if you really say there's not tons of loli fan service.
Jul 2, 2013 5:10 PM

Jun 2008
Ugh....I'm seeing another tired, played-out, long discussion about why Index is better than Railgun or vice versa...

This is so simple.

Both series have their good and their bad.

Of course when I say "good" and "bad" it is entirely subjective to what YOU (the viewer) perceive as "good" and "bad".

Personally I like Kuroko's lesbian antics because I like Yuri....a lot!

But I know others don't and they see that as a "bad" for Railgun.

Also, I hate Index (the character) and I feel she ruins a lot of moments in Index (the show) which I would have otherwise enjoyed.

Other people don't feel that way.

In the end @OP and @everyone else.....go ahead and give both series a chance, you'll encounter things you like and dislike just like any other series.
Jul 2, 2013 5:13 PM

Oct 2012
JustALEX said:
Ugh....I'm seeing another tired, played-out, long discussion about why Index is better than Railgun or vice versa...
I don't see any discussion at all. OP is asking for our opinions. Saying "both series are good, go judge them yourself" is probably the most useless advice anyone could give.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2013 5:15 PM

Jun 2008
katsucats said:
JustALEX said:
I don't see any discussion at all. OP is asking for our opinions. Saying "both series are good, go judge them yourself" is probably the most useless advice anyone could give.

Yeah....I wouldn't want to encourage the OP to make his own decisions or anything...

Jul 2, 2013 5:16 PM

Oct 2012
JustALEX said:
katsucats said:
JustALEX said:
Yeah....I wouldn't want to encourage the OP to make his own decisions or anything...
OP is asking for advice. How is it helpful to say, "Go watch them yourself"?

Look, we understand you know what subjective means. Now stop showing off and tell us what you liked about the series.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2013 5:21 PM

Apr 2011
katsucats said:
JustALEX said:
katsucats said:
JustALEX said:
OP is asking for advice. How is it helpful to say, "Go watch them yourself"?

Look, we understand you know what subjective means. Now stop showing off and tell us what you liked about the series.

Dude, pretty much all he was saying was he didn't want to see me and Tallon argue about loli fanservice for the next 3 pages.
Jul 2, 2013 5:21 PM

Jun 2007
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

I got no issues with bewbs & buttz, I just tend to prefer them more...developed. Plus more so then the fan service my main issue was with her lesbian friend, who to me seemed like she was there JUST for those moments. It just didn't seem necessary, and knowing when I dislike something doesn't really have anything to do with being open minded. Being open minded comes into play more with things that are new, not things I've seen already. I'll give it a second chance if you really say there's not tons of loli fan service.

To reiterate again - the first like couple episodes of the show have some little fanservice bits (like the one you posted) - but after that the only fanservice/ecchi material you'll see is very short clips of Kuroko from time to time. So don't be surprised by the fact there's a little bit more again in episode 2. She's part of Index and Railgun so she wasn't shoehorned in as ecchi material (Saten is actually a character who was barely relevant yet has a lead role now, surprisingly not for ecchi fanservice though) it's just part of her character to be a slut.

However, aside Kuroko there's pretty much nothing of the rest of the cast the entire show aside Biribiri in episode 1. The only other time really anyone else is shown ecchi or lewdly at all would be the 'beach' episode WAY later in the show which isn't even as lewd as you'd believe from that clip you saw (after that scene it's barely something you could call service and just a normal episode that happens to have people in swim wear).

So be prepared for another episode of some Kuroko slutting it up heavily. After that though it really clears up and the show itself starts focusing on developing the characters and their bonds along with progressing the main story arc. It IS a mix of slice of life and action though so if that bothers you it might still be an issue in that regard - but just in regards to the fanservice complaint I can say for sure that's not really a problem - I love the series but I kinda hate those first episodes exactly for this reason; they give a very wrong idea of how the other 95% of the show is.

Not arguing, just making it more clear so you don't drop it again too quickly.
Jul 2, 2013 5:25 PM

Dec 2011
Index is a bit more serious, while Railgun has more moe fan-service. Both shows go completely to shit in their final arcs, especially Index. They're both worth watching however if you enjoy fluff.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Jul 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Apr 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

To reiterate again - the first like couple episodes of the show have some little fanservice bits (like the one you posted) - but after that the only fanservice/ecchi material you'll see is very short clips of Kuroko from time to time. So don't be surprised by the fact there's a little bit more again in episode 2. She's part of Index and Railgun so she wasn't shoehorned in as ecchi material (Saten is actually a character who was barely relevant yet has a lead role now, surprisingly not for ecchi fanservice though) it's just part of her character to be a slut.

However, aside Kuroko there's pretty much nothing of the rest of the cast the entire show aside Biribiri in episode 1. The only other time really anyone else is shown ecchi or lewdly at all would be the 'beach' episode WAY later in the show which isn't even as lewd as you'd believe from that clip you saw (after that scene it's barely something you could call service and just a normal episode that happens to have people in swim wear).

So be prepared for another episode of some Kuroko slutting it up heavily. After that though it really clears up and the show itself starts focusing on developing the characters and their bonds along with progressing the main story arc. It IS a mix of slice of life and action though so if that bothers you it might still be an issue in that regard - but just in regards to the fanservice complaint I can say for sure that's not really a problem - I love the series but I kinda hate those first episodes exactly for this reason; they give a very wrong idea of how the other 95% of the show is.

Not arguing, just making it more clear so you don't drop it again too quickly.

That's cool, I'll probably give it another chance. I've been meaning to watch the second season of Index, but it's just low priority. It's not that I think any of that stuff makes a show bad, it's just my personal taste, and to be honest I was caught a bit off guard cause I wasn't expecting that much of it. It had been a while since I watched the first season of Index, and I kind of forgot how much fan service there was(I still don't remember it being that much). If anything I like Misaka's character, so I'll give it at least 5 episodes or so before I decide on it. The girl with the flowers in her hair(forget her name), seemed interesting as well.
Jul 2, 2013 5:27 PM

Jun 2008
katsucats said:
Now stop showing off and tell us what you liked about the series.

I liked Railgun because if suits my tastes better.

The annoying characters from Index (most notably Index herself and Touma) are rarely present, which is a HUGE plus.

Whereas the best character from both universes is the MC (Mikoto).

Furthermore, I liked the toned down setting which Railgun presents.

Although, I do give credit to Index for having a better storyline....then again, Index is the MAIN component of this world.

After all, Railgun is a spinoff, it's not meant to have a better storyline, it's meant to be exactly what the name suggests.

Index is great if you want to know the most important stories behind Academy City.

However, this is one series where storyline is not dominant as to how I perceive quality.

In the end Railgun wins for it's simplistic style and much more likable characters (IMO).
Jul 2, 2013 5:28 PM

Oct 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
Dude, pretty much all he was saying was he didn't want to see me and Tallon argue about loli fanservice for the next 3 pages.
It's a pet peeve of mine when people drop in a thread only to say "it depends", "it's subjective", "good and bad are both opinions", "there are good and bad in everything"... It's like okay:

1. It depends on what?
2. What do you subjectively think?
3. What is your opinion?
4. What's good and bad about it?

That's the point in having a forum, to divulge opinions. Saying the above contributes absolutely nothing, and is probably one of the most unhelpful things you could do to someone asking for advice. It's more like an indirect way to show off how noble and impartial you could be.

JustALEX said:
In the end Railgun wins for it's simplistic style and much more likable characters (IMO).
Thank you for your input.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2013 5:58 PM

Jun 2013
I had this same question about two days ago.

To be short, I'm glad I watched it.
Jul 2, 2013 6:20 PM

Aug 2012
Watch Index first. If you want to watch Railgun more, at least watch the Index arcs that focus on Misaka, the Misaka sisters, and Accelerator before moving to Railgun.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jul 2, 2013 6:26 PM

Feb 2010
You pretty much need to watch index 1 for railgun 2 at least.
Jul 2, 2013 6:29 PM

Jan 2009
railgun is a spiin-off of index, ive only watch index so im bias about that one
Jul 2, 2013 6:30 PM

May 2011
Railgun S though, MUCH more plot based than its first season (which you can ignore, it's ahead of Railgun S timeline wise).
Jul 2, 2013 6:47 PM
Jan 2012
I found Index pretty boring, but that's just my personal opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was barely any character development. Same power, same fighting style, boring fights.
Jul 2, 2013 7:13 PM

Dec 2012
Index = Very Good
Index 2 = Meh
Railgun = Meh
Railgun S = Very Good

So, I don't know the quality of the franchise is all over the place in my opinion.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 2, 2013 9:24 PM
Hawk of Endymion

Oct 2009
I've personally never watched Index, and purchased Railgun on a whim at Best Buy one day. Not seeing Index did not hamper my enjoyment of Railgun one bit. I loved Railgun, it was amazing to me!
RYOJI KAJI
[to Shinji] So, I understand you're living with Katsuragi.
SHINJI IKARI
Uh, yeah...
RYOJI KAJI
So, is she still so... wild in bed?
Jul 2, 2013 9:40 PM

May 2012
Index 1 = 8/10
Railgun = 7.5/10
Index 2 = 9/10
Railgun S = 10/10

So should you watch it? Yes of course. Personaly, I think of it the other way: I watched Railgun because I couldn't get enough of Index and already had seen every episode.
raininglyJul 2, 2013 9:44 PM
Jul 3, 2013 2:12 AM

Jul 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

If that really is true I will give it a second chance. Cause I like the world, I just had a similar issue with Index. Misaka is a cool character as well, I just wouldn't really be into her just becoming lolicon fanservice. You can't deny that episode had tons of fanservice, and the only other thing I had seen about railgun was a clip on Funimations you tube channel of them trying on bathing suits.

If you don't like fanservice and cute girls, stay away from it.

But I tell you it's worth for the second season.
Since that one actually has a plot and a pretty good executed one!
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 8, 2013 4:35 PM

Aug 2009
^
Yes making up bullshit(not to mention the out of context parts)and ignoring the bad moments of Railgun is very unbiased and mature/sarcasm.
Jul 8, 2013 5:05 PM

Aug 2009
Forgetfulness said:
ssjokg said:
^
Yes making up bullshit(not to mention the out of context parts)and ignoring the bad moments of Railgun is very unbiased and mature/sarcasm.

Well firstly, I obviously wasn't being serious.
Secondly, all 3 scenarios I described HAVE showed up in the Index series several times and it's annoying IMO
Thirdly, when did I ever mention Railgun?

And all of them are out of context and when did Index's quirks became important for the show(Bullshit part).Because I can mention several scenes similar to this from other shows that could make a series less enjoyable.For example Kuroko's perversion.

Railgun Op and I have your reply in a recent thread fresh in my head.
ssjokgJul 8, 2013 5:23 PM
Jul 8, 2013 5:28 PM

Feb 2010
Forgetfulness said:
Found this thread while going through forum pages and...just had to bash Index :)

Okay, play this music:

Now read these two posts:
Yup said:

Index: TOUMA I'M HUNGRY
TOUMA I WANT A CAT
TOUMA I WANT ATTENTION
TOUMA I WAS LEFT ALONE WHILE YOU WERE AT SCHOOL
TOUMA THERE'S NO FOOD EXPECT THE FOOD I ATE TEN MINUTES AGO
TOUMA I'M GOING TO BITE YOU FOR NO REASON

TOUMA TOUMA TOUMA TOUMA TOUMA TOUMA TOUMA

Forgetfulness said:

Scenario 1
-Touma: *I'm going to do something retarded and put myself in a position where I look like a pervert*
-Index: "Toooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmaaaa"
-Index bites Touma-

Scenario 2
-Touma: "Oh, so you're some magician/scientist. I have no fucking idea who you are or what your goals are, but because you hurt -insert some girl he just met and barely knows-, I'm going to have to stop you
-Touma runs at his enemy with his right hand out while screaming "OOOOOOOOOHHHH"
-Some magic is thrown at him but it's cancelled
-Touma one-shots the enemy

I have literally just described the majority of the Index series

As if railgun didn't have similar shit with kuroko.

Railgun fans sure are the worst.
Jul 8, 2013 7:52 PM

Feb 2010
Forgetfulness said:
Also, if Index wasn't so important, perhaps they would have done better by not showing her stupidity at least every single arc

But that's wrong.
Forgetfulness said:

Vanisher said:
As if railgun didn't have similar shit with kuroko.

Railgun fans sure are the worst.

Way to copy someone else's argument and then act like you're all "superior" afterwards.

Way to ignore the argument. Or wait, your answer was that you didn't dislike it so it was done better?
You said it, it's just your taste.
Jul 8, 2013 8:34 PM

Jun 2013
Not, because Mikasa is stupid.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 18, 2008

159 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 2:30 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Oct 11, 2008

204 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Davison - Oct 4, 2008

230 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 1:15 PM

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

279 by R2Doucebag »»
Mar 27, 8:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.