Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2013 10:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, series is over. For some reason, watching this with L-Elf's voice actor in it felt weird. Action was okay though but I expected a little more.

Dat power:

Jul 1, 2013 11:36 AM

Aug 2012
With this ending, this series absolutely needs a second season. Otherwise I'd have to start reading the manga.
.................................................................................
Jul 1, 2013 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
I never liked Kadowaki's reasoning for hating Arata i mean he let you win a race big deal get over it. None the less this was pretty entertaining, they leave it open ended so maybe a possible season 2? Im not holding my breathe, Giving this a 6/10

Jul 1, 2013 11:46 AM

Aug 2011
You can't NOT have a second season after showing us a new character and not having that much closure. I need another season.

7/10 The finale left me a little frustrated.
Jul 1, 2013 11:48 AM

May 2010
6/10 too much of that meaningless friendship bullshit.
Jul 1, 2013 11:49 AM
Aug 2011
Kadowaki is one of the WORST CHARACTERS EVER.

I gave this a 5 but I will most likely knock it down some more because this show was a mess.
I'm so disappointed, to think I ever looked forward to this.

Kerozinn said:

I love some good old nakama friendship power, but it's so paper thin here that it's not doing anything for me.
standJul 1, 2013 11:52 AM
Jul 1, 2013 1:15 PM

Aug 2010
7/10

I need to find time to read the manga.

I liked the story but the execution was pretty damn bad. I'm sure the manga is different.

One thing I gotta admit. Loved the OST this ep and the scene when Arata became BA with Sousei was pretty nice, Kotoha is cute. Rest was meh.
Jul 1, 2013 1:55 PM

Oct 2011
Dat power from Tsukiyo : 0 Amazing.

Everyone gives Hinohara his power.

Go Hinohara change this world and Kadowaki XD.

I knew they would show the other Sho from the opening at the end.

I will miss this series + OST too T__T
Hoping for a season 2!!!!
Jul 1, 2013 1:57 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
parfaited said:

Kerozinn said:

I love some good old nakama friendship power, but it's so paper thin here that it's not doing anything for me.

Yeah seriously right? They were literally spouting the friendship/WE BELIEVE IN YOU thing all over the place. I usually like that stuff, but it was just way overdone here. This could've been better if they got a better scriptwriter. The world is really interesting, but the execution of the story in addition to a terrible character called Kadowaki, it made the series pretty boring. Time to read the manga.

Well aside from my complaints, I really liked the Sousei no Harima (or whatever it's called) at the end, that was really pretty. So how did Kadowaki get back to the ship anyways?
Jul 1, 2013 2:29 PM

Dec 2011
Wow the art was really beautiful this episode--5/5
I really loved the ending (I mean, it was a bit cliche but I can tolerate that stuff), especially seeing Tsukuyo going from a battered sword to a glowing Hayagami. I wasn't surprised to see Yorunami submit, but when all his Zokusho did, I was a little surprised. Not by their faith, but by the number of them! There were like ten!
I liked the character development in this series and would rate it an 8 but I think that some parts did annoy me and I also wanted to see more of the other world Arata so...7/10

I think there will be a second season, especially after all those goals declared at the end and they still have a bunch of stuff to finish. Overall, I enjoyed it. I don't rate anime on plot or art, but mainly on if I enjoyed it or not.
Jul 1, 2013 2:34 PM
Jan 2011
For the record, the anime did a terrible adaptation and made the characters way more annoying while the best characters didn't appear in the anime like Hinohara's awesome but suspicious mentor who helped Hinohara since their meeting at Gatoya island. Or Oribe, a girl who will probably become the other Arata's girlfriend and is quite badass.

They skipped an arc where Hinohara makes a little boy submit, everything about the other Arata was glossed over, they destroyed Hiruko's character who was a total bastard in the manga, this episode's Hinohara vs Kadowaki did not happen in the manga.

And Hinohara in the manga gladly accepted Yorunami's submission without complain, he didn't whine about it and all the nakama power from this episode was anime-original.
daisy23Jul 1, 2013 2:40 PM
Jul 1, 2013 3:40 PM

Dec 2007
As for my impressions for this anime, like most people I was really disappointed with the adaptation they made Arata so much of a pussy here and Kadowaki was so much more annoying here. Too bad were not going to see the other characters like Yataka (he's voiced by Mamoru Miyano godammit!!) So my score's 6/10 (Sadly, my lowest score for spring season)

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a deleted post.
LunaSep 13, 2013 9:26 AM
Jul 1, 2013 3:42 PM

Feb 2012
I feel bad for Akachi, he just an eye for no reason.

Lol'd at those duds at the end, that one guy had a harem and he was like "Arata come at me bro". Man get the fuck out.

Decent series, but still we had that cute Kotoha with dem blue eyes.
Jul 1, 2013 3:42 PM

May 2013
Good episode. I want more!!

Was that Emisu at the end?
Jul 1, 2013 3:52 PM

May 2011
Yeah, I was really excited about this since I like the manga, but the choices to cut out or change things was really disappointing. :/ But well, you know, Kannagi-vision, nice seeing him tell Arata what to do. :P But dang those flashes of other characters, I'm still interested in seeing how they will be handled animated.
Jul 1, 2013 4:10 PM

Jan 2013
5.75/10
Finally this is over. No second season needed. A pain to watch
Jul 1, 2013 4:22 PM

Jun 2012
I didn't really like this series that much, but for some reason I am still interested in a S2 to finish what's already been started.

It turns out neither submitted, so it seems like a long way to go. So pretty much nothing happened in this episode -.-

Jul 1, 2013 5:16 PM
Dec 2012
The ending felt like there'd be a sequel. I think the series was decent as a whole and I felt the creator's enthusiasm and efforts through watching each episode. But incentive of the villains always felt forced and unconvincing to me. How come that school mate kept carrying such a grudge against the MC for such trivial reasons? Why did the deities have humanly & worldly greed? It was like "I will defeat you cuz you're a worthy opponent." It's OK if it was Ashita no Joe or 70s anime. I think their incentive ruined the potential of the show.
Jul 1, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2010
This was one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my entire life. Animation sucked on so many level I can't even count their number. Story is awfully cliche-ed. There was practically no FABULA!!!! These episodes ended into something and the next one - BAM! that something's already happened... Wait.. what!?

Yes.

I honestly don't know how they even managed to do so many wrong things. Maybe the songs were the only good things about it... Though, they're all about the artist and not so much the production staff, so it's still not their good work.

Jul 1, 2013 5:36 PM
Oct 2010
As "meh" as it gets.

I'd buy the characters' motivations if this was a kid's show, but it isn't... So it's just awkward.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 1, 2013 5:37 PM

Jun 2010
Honestly I don't know why so many disliked this anime, I liked it. I thought the art was nice and yeah the story is cliche and about friendship and getting stronger but I thought it was emotional and I wasn't bored.

8.5/10
~MoChiQuacHiE~♥
Jul 1, 2013 5:45 PM

Nov 2007
Because Arata(Hinohara)'s too weak (or that guy with grudge became stronger), that Hoshi-san's character had to sacrifice himself to give him power. Even that princess is crying. Arata gain his own power? Seeing that, that guy with grudge ran away.

Everyone else also gave the power, and last talk with Arata. w. more enemies. Journey continues.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 1, 2013 7:25 PM

Dec 2012
Ehhhh where to start...

There were moments in this series that I really enjoyed but for the most part it was bland and I've seen it all before. I felt kinda bad that I was looking forward to scenes with Arata in modern Japan more than anything involving Hinohara.

Arata in Japan - 7/10
Arata in...Hayagami-land? - 5/10

Overall I'll give it a 6/10, but it worked really damn hard for that 6 and I'm laid back with my anime ratings anyway. Season 2 or not, this is probably my limit since I can guess how it ends from here.
Jul 1, 2013 8:04 PM
Oct 2012
sad, its almost like you hear its 50 episodes long but they stop after 12 because someone died. well i hope for a second season but idk if it will happen.
Jul 1, 2013 8:24 PM

Feb 2013
Uggghhhh....

Honestly, what can I really say about this. We knew this ending was going to be rushed. We knew this was going to be anime original, but oh well, it was good, but like this anime...just wasted potential, and almost doomed from the start.

First off, the positive: While the fight was just okay, I thought that Hinohara finally making up his mind and doing that last attack, as well as Yorunami's submission was good. In fact, I'll give this episode this, Yorunami's submission and the reason he did so was actually better than what really happened in the manga. However, after that, that's all the points I can give you.

Now to the negative: Wow, did I roll my eyes a lot in this episode. Beyond the cliche lines, the boring dialogue, Kadowaki whining every other minute, Arata whining every other minute, Kotoha being an annoying weak female, this episode was still pretty lackluster. It was better than most other episodes of the series, but that's not saying much. They leave a lot of threads open, even though we know this series will not getting a sequel. However, they changed quite a few things from the manga (Tsukuyo's powers, Yorunami's submission, the entire fabricated fight, missing characters, etc.) that many who want to find the answers will be baffled by the changes this series decided to make.

Also, I was willing to give this episode a pass and say it was pretty good in terms of most of the episodes of this series. But then--it went and showed the credit clips.

They decide to show us a lot of future plot points with the other Shinsho, the ones whose stories would have been awesome to see, but noooo...this series was only one cour and therefore shot itself in the foot before it even started. You show all these hooks for a sequel series, when both you and I know they will never get one.

Now, anyone who wants to know what all those scenes were about will have to read the manga. I guess they might as well just point the audience to the much better source material, since obviously they really couldn't do it justice.

Okay, I'm going to wrap this up by saying that this show did what it could, but it was really dead on arrival through no fault of its own. I however am thankful for it introducing me to Arata Kangatari and I will continue to read the manga until it ends. I suggest any who were intrigued by this anime to do the same and read the original source material. It's 10x better and you will probably get the answer to a lot of the questions you're asking.

This episode was a 7.45/10 and I give the series overall a 5/10.

daisy23 said:
For the record, the anime did a terrible adaptation and made the characters way more annoying while the best characters didn't appear in the anime like Hinohara's awesome but suspicious mentor who helped Hinohara since their meeting at Gatoya island. Or Oribe, a girl who will probably become the other Arata's girlfriend and is quite badass.

They skipped an arc where Hinohara makes a little boy submit, everything about the other Arata was glossed over, they destroyed Hiruko's character who was a total bastard in the manga, this episode's Hinohara vs Kadowaki did not happen in the manga.

And Hinohara in the manga gladly accepted Yorunami's submission without complain, he didn't whine about it and all the nakama power from this episode was anime-original.

I agree with all that, even though I do think that Yorunami's submission was better in the anime.

Mod Edit: Merged posts. Please do not double post.
LunaSep 13, 2013 9:28 AM
Jul 1, 2013 9:30 PM
Jun 2013
7/10 for now
I love the story but hate that kind of battle
and too bad they end this show when Arata get stronger
still I hope they'll make the 2nd season of this show
Jul 1, 2013 10:45 PM

Oct 2008
Woah... what's with all the hate?

Dat Sousei no Hinowa!
Tsukuyo rocks!
Too bad the show ended. No more weekly doses of Tsukuyo (yeah, I have a crush towards the sword) and Kotoha.
Still looking for a signature.
Jul 1, 2013 11:05 PM
May 2012
Damn it's just like Code Breaker anime.. Kinda fucked up the manga original plot, but still can be adapted for season 2.. Overall just good.
Jul 2, 2013 2:16 AM

Jul 2011
Kadowaki's reason to hate Arata is beyond stupid.
their fight was a bit boring.
7/10.
講廢話,被撞到.
Jul 2, 2013 5:54 AM

Apr 2011
I thought it was pretty good, nothing spectacular but good enough for a generic shonen anime. I have to admit I'm a sucker for magic swords. Kadowaki's freudian excuse for why he's evil was pretty lame, but it was at least something different. I definitely could've used more scenes of the Arata in Japan, it felt like that was pretty much tacked on.

Not a bad series and I hope there's a sequel to tell the rest of the story, I'd hate to see it end here. I wonder if one of the credits at the end said 'Like this story? Buy the Blu-Ray so we can make another season!' There's always the manga if a 2nd season isn't forthcoming.

Oh, and I loved the CGI effect of Arata unlocking the ultimate form of his sword, I thought the giant, glittering gold wings were quite well done. Very impressive looking.

7/10
Jul 2, 2013 9:27 AM

Sep 2012
The anime wasn´t anything special, but I think that a second season would improve it quite a bit. The fighting scenes weren´t that bad either. Im giving this first season a 6/10, but I expect something better if and whenever a second season airs.
Jul 2, 2013 10:04 AM

Feb 2013
How did Arata beat Kadowaki if he just blew him away? LOL that's the saddest win I've ever seen. Anyhow, Arata gaining even more people that submit to him like a boss :)

Wait wait wait Emisu is alive? What.
Jul 2, 2013 10:55 AM

Jul 2010
pp813 said:
How did Arata beat Kadowaki if he just blew him away? LOL that's the saddest win I've ever seen. Anyhow, Arata gaining even more people that submit to him like a boss :)

Wait wait wait Emisu is alive? What.

^

Anyway, 7/10. There is really need for a S2, they didn't show anything.
Jul 2, 2013 1:27 PM

Jul 2009
Second season is needed!
I liked the songs, the art and Hinohara evolution, also the romance is good too. 7/10
Jul 2, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2009
I'm a bit disappointed of this series though :/
It feels like they never gain something except Arata became powerful and lot of people submit to him.. that's all about in this 12 episodes.
Jul 2, 2013 4:17 PM
Jun 2013
Well. I'll make it clear: This anime as a whole only deserve a 3/10.

The fights aren't really fights : the properties of the hayagami's just doesn't matters (the fights are short and mostly based on the emotions/Ego and beliefs of the fighters) and there is no CQC skill (i mean, they use swords but they only know how to cross and push. Just compare with a DTB fight scene and you'll see the difference).

The character design and more generally the whole art is a bit below average and add -as well as the "cliché" dialogues- to the childish atmosphere. Especially the fact that Arata is still in school uniform.

The romance is cliché, the side characters are way too neglected. The parallel world will probably be more developed in the second season.

Nevertheless, there is one good point:

At first the motives of most of the characters seems beyond stupidity: To sum it up, the 12 guardians of the princess chosen by the Hayagami's (wa can infer that the gods are stupids as well ) - "leaders" of the "kingdom" in which the story take place -decided to kill the princess who brought them harmony to decide of a King through a "battle-royal" thus putting the kingdom in a civil-war state.

Each of the 12 Sho we have met thus far seemed to have done it for stupid and selfish reasons : 2 did because they couldn't properly bear the loss of their beloved (if it's true), 1 because his mother was a bit too strict and that he wanted to please her in spite of the fact that she was dead. Then comes Kadowaki.

If we don't consider the story as a whole and concentrate on the motives of the characters and think of the parallel world and hayagamis as mere pretexts then the story gets a bit more interesting. The character's become allegories of specific psychologies and ideals.

Arata is the pure/open heart , instead of "submiting" his enemies he wishes to understand the very cause of their behavior and give them the chance to entrust him with their objectives ( he does it subconsciously otherwise he would be quite the schemer ) .

Kadowaki is simple minded and self-centered. He acts as the complete opposite of Arata , if Arata chose "everyone" then Kadowaki chose "me alone" etc..

He could be understood in this way: if you look at his background he is not aknowledged by anyone, and even if he was if he doesn't esteem the one who acknowledge him then it's no use.

Arata, through running with him created a space where he could find a place and aknowledge himself and also be acknowledged by Arata. But if Arata did lose on purpose in a race then it would, in kadowaki's psychology be translated as " i don't aknowledge/respect you enough to race with all my might, i am looking down on you and in a way denying your very existence" in short, a betrayal.

For Kadowaki, his very existence and ego's basis lies within Arata's eyes. Fairly beating Hinohara in a fight is a twisted way of forcefully make Arata acknowledge him, the hatred made this feeling express in a destructive way ( Submiting Arata isn't really his goal , because if Arata is actually submited then Kadowaki will lose his "proof of existence").

Extended to other characters it could be understood as a way (the whole story) to show that conflicts are mostly brought because of an Ego's basis loss. Yorunami's mother acknowledgment for Yorunami , Arata's for kadowaki , Emisu ( well if she really is dead, the one at the end seem a bit young) for Kannagi and Akachi etc... The answer is Arata: someone who comes with a open heart and mean no harm, but through will and understanding break people's "curses". Arata as the potential to make the Sho overcome their Ego's basis unbalance.

The problem children are the four Sho group.
AporieJul 2, 2013 4:31 PM
Jul 2, 2013 9:14 PM

Jun 2013
I Think that is a good anime, i like its animation and its sinopsis and its battles are great too. I not understand the reason for Kadowaki for to hate to Arata, i think that he is crazy, he do not have social life.

Get a girlfriend, man. Are you fucking kidding me? are another reason, please.

8/10
Jul 2, 2013 9:58 PM

Dec 2012
Xheo said:
I Think that is a good anime, i like its animation and its sinopsis and its battles are great too. I not understand the reason for Kadowaki for to hate to Arata, i think that he is crazy, he do not have social life.

Get a girlfriend, man. Are you fucking kidding me? are another reason, please.

8/10

I personally liked Kadowaki's descent to madness and thought it was one of the redeeming qualities of this series. I could very well be wrong but this is what I got from it:

Kadowaki and Hinohara were both great friends when they were in track together. But all of that changed when they raced and Kadowaki suspected Hinohara of slowing down to serve as a handicap to him. He thought that Hinohara, his best friend, was only pretending to be his friend and really looked down on him.

So Kadowaki wanted revenge. He started pushing Hinohara around, bullying and making a fool out of him. But the other Arata ruins all of that when he comes to their world. He's now made a fool of and thinks that Hinohara is now showing his supposed true colors and looking down on Kadowaki again.

This starts a snowball effect as he starts to remember his hatred for Hinohara for letting him win the race (or so he thinks). Then other factors combined add fuel to the fire - his father being an adulterous man who thinks nothing of him, his mother walking out on them when he was young, and his friends who only hanged out with him because his dad was rich.

But I believe the final thing to push him over the edge was when Hinohara's mother found them. He was probably jealous and wanted his mother to be there for him like Hinohara's and then everything started to boil over from there. One radical idea led to another and he lost it, deciding that Hinohara was the source of his problems and that removing him would help him move forward.
Jul 2, 2013 10:10 PM

Feb 2013
at least they did not change as much from the original material unlike magi
Jul 3, 2013 2:44 AM
Mar 2013
awww was a pretty good ep
i wonder when starts second season XD is a MUST for second season
Jul 3, 2013 8:01 PM

May 2008
Kadowaki is still lame as always , Ill fight for myself LULZ.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 4, 2013 6:22 AM

Mar 2010
ugh. whats this. 7/10 , initially 6 but +1 for the fine effects used in the last episode(i love the shining wings~lol)

enjoyable series but not my favorite. I like the characters. If theres a second season , I shall watch it too :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2013 8:14 AM
Apr 2011
Wow, this Anime turn to be Interesting.
I have been read this Manga , two year ago, but i drop it because Arata Hinohara so whimpy and coward....
Buat after watch this anime, this make me want to read the Manga again....
btw. i give score 7/10 for this Anime series.
Jul 4, 2013 9:22 AM

Nov 2012
nicely done. All I have to do now is to wait for another season. The reason why I was watching this anime was the fact that 2 my favourite seiyuu's was there ( both Aratas). 6/10
Jul 4, 2013 12:26 PM

Nov 2009
Irenesharda said:
Kotoha being an annoying weak female

I second that. I was OK with her in the beginning but she started to get on my nerves with her absolute helplessness and uselessness, and it's only getting worse.
I kinda like Kadowaki, but his reason for Arata-hate is, uh, shit, yeah. A grudge, I'd buy, but such full blown hate - no.

Still, I found the series entertaining and it would be nice if this gets a second season but I doubt it will, so I guess I'm off to read the manga...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 4, 2013 4:58 PM

Dec 2011
Been waiting for the moment Tsukuyo isn't dirty anymore! Damn.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2013 6:13 PM

Dec 2012
For those putting down the series, read the actual manga, recommended indeed. It's so much more better that it's not even funny, both are in different leagues. They skipped so many important scenes that happened in the manga, and as a result it's depicted as inconsistencies.

Manga there's a lot more depth, actual character development, nothing is rushed, and it's more articulate and a must read.
Jul 5, 2013 6:56 AM
Sep 2009
Not sure the ending was so sudden ..and it ended in strange way ..now there are two options :

1 - The ending is not a real ending because there will come a second season

2- That's it for the anime and it's aim was just to get more readers for the manga
Jul 5, 2013 12:59 PM

May 2011
Great to see Arata pull his big boy pants on in this episode and he certainly does seem to be more confident in himself now. That was a pretty decent fight despite them mostly just clashing blade and standing there. And that Sousei no Hinowa looked fucking beautiful wow.

Aww yeah Kotoha and Arata had a nice moment of their own near the end. I sure hope there'll be a season two of this with how much more material there are so I can see more development between those two haha. And I've gotta say I just love the OP song and ED song was great too.
Jul 5, 2013 2:58 PM

Mar 2011
Eh it is over, and I'm not bothered. I don't really care if they make a second season.

The characters are just too annoying. So why did he want to kill Arata again?
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2013

53 by White_Alice »»
Jun 20, 2023 3:18 PM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2013

100 by White_Alice »»
Jun 16, 2023 1:21 AM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2013

44 by shilvio »»
Oct 19, 2022 4:59 PM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2013

43 by shilvio »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:31 PM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2013

33 by Vindicater »»
Jan 23, 2020 2:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.