Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 30, 2013 6:33 PM
Dec 2011
I don't recall him showing interest in any of the girls. He blushes and smiles when he sees Totsuka Saika multiple times.

It would really be a messed up romantic comedy.

I didn't feel like Yukinon/Hachiman went that far so it's all fair game. Going to ship Hachiman/Sensei lalala
Jun 30, 2013 6:36 PM

Sep 2012
So what if he did? He'd still be the same person.

Anybody who would change their opinion about him because of that is a shitty person.
Jun 30, 2013 6:38 PM

Aug 2012
Red_Keys said:

Anybody who would change their opinion about him because of that is a shitty person.

Some people might not like the....BL?? I guess?
But for me, it would make Oregairu that much more unique and different and fun to watch. Plus, Saika IS cute.
Jun 30, 2013 7:00 PM

Sep 2012
I would totally support him and keep Yui for myself :3
Jun 30, 2013 7:51 PM

Apr 2011
That's nonsense.

If he weren't straight he wouldn't flirt with Saika.
Jul 1, 2013 12:54 AM

Nov 2011
I dont see the problem
Jul 1, 2013 1:40 AM

Dec 2012
That was for comedy, geez.
Jul 1, 2013 7:31 AM

Aug 2012
What if he swings that way? I really don't think so that he is. But your question is what IF eh?.. Hmm.. That would be disgusting in my view. But geez, that was just only for comedy, and men sometimes adore cute things too. In my case, I love pandas, and I get crazy when I see one, but I'm a full fledged man.

(but research says that no man is completely a man, we swing the other way sometimes, no matter how small it is. link? none XD )
Jul 1, 2013 7:46 AM
Jun 2013
The only reason Hachiman is responding that way to Saika, is because Saika is "safe".
A friend. Someone who won't hurt his feelings.

Hachiman isn't a homosexual. He is a person who has very little experience with "friends" and he has a twisted way of looking at things, which is why it's amusing when he mistakes Saika's gestures of friendship as: "hey. this extremely feminine guy is trying to get it on with me".

So, basically like others have said, it's an ongoing joke.

However, maybe the PS Vita game will have a Saika Totsuka route.

EDIT: However, if hypothetically speaking, he did "swing that way", I'd be fine with it (even though I want him to end up with Yukino).
snarlmaneJul 1, 2013 7:51 AM
Jul 1, 2013 7:56 AM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:

I would think of him and the show much more than I do now. Would be cool to have a romcom with gay ending that isn't fujoshibait.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 1, 2013 9:27 AM
Jan 2013
snarlmane said:
The only reason Hachiman is responding that way to Saika, is because Saika is "safe".
A friend. Someone who won't hurt his feelings.

Hachiman isn't a homosexual. He is a person who has very little experience with "friends" and he has a twisted way of looking at things, which is why it's amusing when he mistakes Saika's gestures of friendship as: "hey. this extremely feminine guy is trying to get it on with me".

So, basically like others have said, it's an ongoing joke.

However, maybe the PS Vita game will have a Saika Totsuka route.

EDIT: However, if hypothetically speaking, he did "swing that way", I'd be fine with it (even though I want him to end up with Yukino).

There is a Saika route..... even though it makes me sick, it will be funny XD.
Jul 1, 2013 10:55 AM
Jul 2012
I think it'd be great, since I worship Saika x Hachiman
Aug 20, 2013 7:32 AM

Sep 2012
Saika is not a boy, i just ton't believe it, Saika dos not only look like flat chested girl he acts like 1 to, i ton't see a boy in him/her any-ware & i have seen couple of anime's were a girl either pretends to be a boy or thinks she is, MC act towards Saika that way cause hes/shes confusing, say's that hes/shes boy, but Acts & looks like a girl, either way Saika is trap for us, so we wold guess & argue about him

MC acting towards Saika that way proves that he likes girls, Saika girl charm (hes/hers looks) gets to him, but hes not worried cause Saika say'd he/she is a boy, that explains all, or do some people ton't have common sense to think about that?
Aug 31, 2013 2:24 AM

Oct 2012
Totsuka is cute.. that's all matter right?
It doesn't matter as long she's cute right? xD

tsudman said:
That was for comedy, geez.

Ah, and don't forget it could be for fanboys/fangirls too, I guess?

Sugram22 said:
Saika is not a boy, i just ton't believe it

You're really confused huh?
Saika is Saika like Hideyoshi is Hideyoshi xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 30, 2013 2:55 AM
Aug 2013
Sugram22 said:
Saika is trap for us

I even fell for it... However, I like how (s)he says Hachiman 3 times. Haha.
Mar 9, 2014 6:11 PM

Jan 2014
In TvTropes.. Hachiman is said to be Ambigously Bisexual and Saika as Ambigously Gay.
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 9, 2014 6:14 PM

Sep 2012
Orsonius said:
Red_Keys said:

I would think of him and the show much more than I do now. Would be cool to have a romcom with gay ending that isn't fujoshibait.
Well, my opinion on the show would change for the better, for the reasons you mentioned, but my opinion on him as a character by himself would remain the same. Sexuality ≠ personality.
Mar 9, 2014 6:29 PM
Sep 2013
It would be hot.
I would actually like the show more, unless they played it out terribly.
The end is nigh

Mar 12, 2014 8:10 AM

Sep 2007
I would love the show even more if he did! It's so cute. I was pleasantly surprised and delighted while watching to learn that they added this sort of element to the show! XD

But, as for your observation of Hikki never showing interest in any of the girls, the interest is there, just more subtle than you may be used to. As a former loner in high school, I can relate to his actions and behavior very well, which just makes the show that much more realistic for me personally, as I can see myself reacting the same way.

For someone with low confidence and zero social skills, when you're with someone of the opposite sex, it never even crosses your mind that someone could like you....or, more commonly, you just bury the thought very deeply in the back of your mind. What if we're wrong, and we get our hopes up? I'm sure everyone can relate that it is extremely embarrassing, but even more so for someone whom it is difficult to form any kind of relationship. So, even though they may be putting out all the signs, it doesn't matter, cuz we're not buying. Better to ignore it than to risk getting hurt.

Also so, because of this unwillingness to be hurt, we protect ourselves and act as if they are any other normal person that we are not attracted to. Because if we let ourselves think, even just a little bit, that they might like us, the disappointment when we learn that they don't is almost traumatic, sending our already low confidence spiraling even lower, leading to self hate. Plus, Hikki already admits to having a similar experience in the past. Once burned, twice shy, ya know?

TLDR: It's not that he doesn't have any interest, he is just suppressing it in order to not get hurt.

(Sorry for the essay lol XD)
~ Nothing makes us as lonely as our own secrets ~

Mar 13, 2014 8:58 PM

Jan 2014
In the Light Novels, Hachiman's attraction to Saika Totsuka is more or less canon.

* Saika has seen Hachiman naked to their embarassment and when Saika is undressing, Hachiman is reluctant to leave.

* Hachiman has perverted thoughts upon imagining having Saika on the same bath with him.

* They have a date and watched a movie. In one of the more romantic scenes, Hachiman blushed profusely when their hands touched.

* He calls Saika his "angel".

JUICY Quotes:

"Hikki is relieved since he doesn't want to bath with other guys. If Hikki goes in with Totsuka, his Gae Bolg might fire off and if it's confirmed that Totsuka is a dude and Hikki's Gae Bolg activates, then it'll become an incident on the blog (bolg, blog)."

"It took Hikki around 10s to get fully dress and invite Totsuka in, Totsuka started to strip but stopped since Hikki doesn't want to go away. Anyway Hikki went off and he hears splashes from the tub, which makes him happy (he just bathed, Totsuka is in the water he was in)."

"Hikki is reminded of that incident at the bath the fact that Totsuka saw his little Hikki. He secretly wants Totsuka to take responsibility."

"Totsuka dressed like a young boy and apologizes for being late. Hikki tells himself it's only been 3 hours and he doesn't mind it. Totsuka ran towards Hikki since Totsuka spotted Hikki in the crowd, and that made Hikki blush a lot. They're having a date, but Hikki doesn't know what to do, he spent the whole night thinking about this and didn't get enough sleep. Totsuka doesn't know what to do as well, so Totsuka asks Hikki about his likes. Seeing Totsuka seriously pondering about Hikki's tastes, Hikki just stares at home savoring the moment."

"They both withdrew their hands in embarrassment, Hikki sees a Totsuka curled up shyly with Totsuka's head lowered. As if they're both in sync, they look at each other at the same time and Totsuka suggests that Hikki use the armrest, Hikki answers that he's a right hander, his weight is supported by his right side and his left arm is only an assist.

Totsuka is amused by Hikki's weird outburst and suggest that they share the same armrest, though Totsuka only takes up 1/3 of the space. Hikki places his left arm next to Totsuka's and cheers silently, his left arm is the happiest in the world.
"
F0XFIRE said:

Mar 15, 2014 4:02 AM

May 2010
peeyaj said:
In the Light Novels, Hachiman's attraction to Saika Totsuka is more or less canon.

* Saika has seen Hachiman naked to their embarassment and when Saika is undressing, Hachiman is reluctant to leave.

* Hachiman has perverted thoughts upon imagining having Saika on the same bath with him.

* They have a date and watched a movie. In one of the more romantic scenes, Hachiman blushed profusely when their hands touched.

* He calls Saika his "angel".

JUICY Quotes:

"Hikki is relieved since he doesn't want to bath with other guys. If Hikki goes in with Totsuka, his Gae Bolg might fire off and if it's confirmed that Totsuka is a dude and Hikki's Gae Bolg activates, then it'll become an incident on the blog (bolg, blog)."

"It took Hikki around 10s to get fully dress and invite Totsuka in, Totsuka started to strip but stopped since Hikki doesn't want to go away. Anyway Hikki went off and he hears splashes from the tub, which makes him happy (he just bathed, Totsuka is in the water he was in)."

"Hikki is reminded of that incident at the bath the fact that Totsuka saw his little Hikki. He secretly wants Totsuka to take responsibility."

"Totsuka dressed like a young boy and apologizes for being late. Hikki tells himself it's only been 3 hours and he doesn't mind it. Totsuka ran towards Hikki since Totsuka spotted Hikki in the crowd, and that made Hikki blush a lot. They're having a date, but Hikki doesn't know what to do, he spent the whole night thinking about this and didn't get enough sleep. Totsuka doesn't know what to do as well, so Totsuka asks Hikki about his likes. Seeing Totsuka seriously pondering about Hikki's tastes, Hikki just stares at home savoring the moment."

"They both withdrew their hands in embarrassment, Hikki sees a Totsuka curled up shyly with Totsuka's head lowered. As if they're both in sync, they look at each other at the same time and Totsuka suggests that Hikki use the armrest, Hikki answers that he's a right hander, his weight is supported by his right side and his left arm is only an assist.

Totsuka is amused by Hikki's weird outburst and suggest that they share the same armrest, though Totsuka only takes up 1/3 of the space. Hikki places his left arm next to Totsuka's and cheers silently, his left arm is the happiest in the world.
"

Whoa there! Things are steamy between them :p

Personally, my views about this show or Hachiman wouldn't change. I mean, someone's orientation isn't going to decide my final views about that person. I would rather judge their personality, not looks or anything like that. People who judge others based on their exterior and not interior, ARE THE ONES disgusting.

Depending on how it will be handled, I might start loving this show even more (It is already in my top 5 list), if they throw in society somehow and its views about homos and bis and how Hikigaya and Totsuka handle that etc etc. Yup, a lot of potential there.

But then again, it wouldn't be the same show any more if that happened. The possibility. is slim any ways.

But yeah, I ship Hikigaya x Yui so that's my first choice.
Mar 16, 2014 8:11 PM

Jan 2014
@TR

The thing is, the anime lacks the LN novels for adaptation. All of the volumes were more or less adapted, so the possibility of having a 2nd season this year is nil. Probably, in 2015 or 2016! I hope so.. :) I love the show.
F0XFIRE said:

Mar 26, 2014 12:32 AM
Mar 2014
would love a second season of this, to truly explore
Mar 28, 2014 12:36 AM

Sep 2007
peeyaj said:
@TR

The thing is, the anime lacks the LN novels for adaptation. All of the volumes were more or less adapted, so the possibility of having a 2nd season this year is nil. Probably, in 2015 or 2016! I hope so.. :) I love the show.

Awww, seriously??? I was really hoping for a season 2 :'( the ending was left kinda open ended, so I thought for sure we would get one right away! But, I didn't know that they have pretty much caught up with the LN. That sucks.
~ Nothing makes us as lonely as our own secrets ~

Mar 30, 2014 9:59 PM

Jan 2014
37wallflower73 said:
peeyaj said:
@TR

Awww, seriously??? I was really hoping for a season 2 :'( the ending was left kinda open ended, so I thought for sure we would get one right away! But, I didn't know that they have pretty much caught up with the LN. That sucks.

Yeah and the LN novels are really popular too in Japan.

I suggest you make a letter to Wataru Watari asking for more LN novels:

Here is his twitter: https://twitter.com/watariwataru
F0XFIRE said:

May 9, 2014 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
peeyaj said:
@TR

They did not adapt all of the chapters though, they skipped over a bunch of stuff. The chapter with the saika date for example.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
May 9, 2014 11:39 AM

Dec 2012
peeyaj said:

Well that's just desperate.

Never gonna happen, you are free to keep dreaming, shipping and fantasizing about them though.
May 9, 2014 2:23 PM

Nov 2011
tsudecimo said:
peeyaj said:

Never gonna happen, you are free to keep dreaming, shipping and fantasizing about them though.

Thats great and all, but that does not change anything about what he said in the quoted part.
rederoinMay 9, 2014 2:27 PM

May 9, 2014 3:01 PM

Dec 2012
rederoin said:
tsudecimo said:
peeyaj said:

Thats great and all, but that does not change anything about what he said in the quoted part.

Your unnecessary post is great and all but Hachiman's attraction towards the trap is not canon. It never happening is something relevant to what he said, so I really don't get the point of your post.
May 10, 2014 7:26 PM

Dec 2007
I understand people want to satisfy their Yaoi desires, but all the Totsuka stuff serve as pure comedic relief and a change of pace. Do not forget Hachiman is a loner in body and soul at this point of the series, do you really think it'd be wise to change what the author really aims to bring in his story just to develop a comedic relief character relationship? It's obvious that a Totsuka end won't happen, no matter how I look at it. He doesn't serve enough importance to the plot in the first place.

...Not that I mind Totsuka getting developments in all the right places. I share Hachiman's affection towards the cute trap. Ahem...
May 11, 2014 4:07 AM

Nov 2011
tsudecimo said:
rederoin said:
tsudecimo said:
peeyaj said:

Your unnecessary post is great and all but Hachiman's attraction towards the trap is not canon. It never happening is something relevant to what he said, so I really don't get the point of your post.

But it is canon, did you actually bother to read the LNs?

He won't win, sure(its a popular novel, after-all), but to say its not canon is simply not true.

Nov 18, 2014 7:23 PM

Sep 2014
That would be gross and I'd stop watching
Nov 18, 2014 7:27 PM

Nov 2010
It would become a one of a kind show.
Dec 28, 2014 5:13 AM

Jul 2014
no homo
Apr 24, 2015 11:34 PM
Nov 2013
Wow a lot of hate speech on this forum. I for one wish it would go that way because it would be sweet and honestly kind of natural the way the show has gone. I get tired of yaoi, because it just tries to pander to me. I'd like something that felt a little real.
Apr 25, 2015 6:47 AM

Apr 2013
Forget Saika, Hachiman seems to be a perfect fit with Hayama at this point lol
Apr 25, 2015 6:56 AM

Feb 2013
I love how when a character acts a little gay with a character of the same sex you all go crazy and start to wrote paragraphs about how is jus friendship and nothing gay but hey, if Saika were a girl and Hachima acted the same way, you probably would say "he's totally into her".

anyway, on topic, I wouldn't mind it, in fact it would be more interesting, I dont want this to become in another generic harem show, so if it turns in BL direction it would be at least different.

Apr 25, 2015 7:00 AM
Apr 2013
As far as I know from reading the LNs,

Yui x Yukino
Totsuka x Hachiman

Will be the most obvious ones.
Jan 7, 2016 11:27 AM

Sep 2014
Hmm Hachiman x Saika...That would be Great.
Apr 23, 2016 5:50 PM
Apr 2016
I ship Hachiman and Totsuka alot, but I doubt that Hachiman is actually gay. There's a chance that Hachiman might be bisexual because he always does blush whenever Totsuka talks to him, a lot more than he does with regular girls. But we can conclude that he is not fully gay as everyone he has liked in the past is a girl. Regarding Totsuka and whether he's gay or not, I'm leaning towards yes. Usually guys who are gay tend to be more attractive or pretty than straight males. They also tend to be more friendly and outgoing. As you can clearly tell, Totsuka is very "cute" and more attractive than the girls at his school. When Totsuka is around, guys tend to go in the "dream state" which they don't with other girls (End of season 1;Sports Festival). Totsuka is more friendly than the majority of the people shown. He always tends to have a feint blush, but when Hachiman is around, it tends to get more widespread and bigger. He also says Hachimans name in his sleep. Gay people also tend to be more comfortable with girls, and usually had lots of girl friends, which Totsuka clearly has. Totsuka has shown no clear affection towards females in a romantic way. (Please note I have not read the manga and have watched the first season of the anime, including 5 episodes of the second season, so I am taking information off of the episodes I have watched.) In conclusion, It is very likely that Totsuka is gay, and Hachiman is Bisexual. If Hachiman did have to end up with a girl, I could choose the one with the orange/blonde hair (sorry I'm bad with names). She is more lively and her bubbly personality could bring out something in Hachiman. I honestly just find the other girl to be rude and disrespectful.
HelloOlaAlohaApr 23, 2016 5:53 PM
Apr 24, 2016 10:49 AM
Nov 2015
Well, as long as he would continue his philosophical view on humanity, youth and stuff, it's fine, I guess.
Apr 29, 2016 2:47 AM

May 2015
I would be shocked. Like a kid learning that Santa doesn't exist - I'd start crying and my life forever scarred.

Apr 29, 2016 2:49 AM

Sep 2009
The series would lose a bunch of one type of fan, and gain a bunch of another.
I'm in favor of that hachiman x totsuka though.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 12, 2016 10:24 AM
Feb 2016
I think the three most interesting ways to end this would be:
1. Totsuka x Haichama and Yui x Yukino to end up together.
2. Yui x Yukino ending up together and Haichama not being in a relationship and just growing out of this time and trying to stay in contact with everyone.
3. No one ending up with anyone. They all just grow out of the experience the made and moments they shared and they try to stay friends as long as they can.

I would personally love if it would end any of this ways (or similar once) because it is not a classic romcom it takes another view on the genre and it should definitely end different. It would be horrible if one of the girls would end up with him and the other not it wouldn't be nice to watch, at last 50% or so would be crushed so I hope it ends different then any other romcom because that is the charm of the story.
Oct 12, 2016 12:32 PM
Jan 2016
FangirlAndProud said:
2. Yui x Yukino ending up together and Haichama not being in a relationship and just growing out of this time and trying to stay in contact with everyone.
3. No one ending up with anyone. They all just grow out of the experience the made and moments they shared and they try to stay friends as long as they can.

I would personally love if it would end any of this ways (or similar once) because it is not a classic romcom it takes another view on the genre and it should definitely end different. It would be horrible if one of the girls would end up with him and the other not it wouldn't be nice to watch, at last 50% or so would be crushed so I hope it ends different then any other romcom because that is the charm of the story.

But what about Iroha? She needs some lovin' too. :P
I say we need a harem ending. So what it's unrealistic?!
Now that I think about it, all potential endings are equally interesting prospects. As far as I'm concerned, Hachiman could just as well end up with the teacher, that would be interesting. :P
Oct 13, 2016 1:06 AM
Feb 2016
Askorti said:
FangirlAndProud said:

But what about Iroha? She needs some lovin' too. :P
I say we need a harem ending. So what it's unrealistic?!
Now that I think about it, all potential endings are equally interesting prospects. As far as I'm concerned, Hachiman could just as well end up with the teacher, that would be interesting. :P

You are right.
It would be interesting but I personally think it would not happen.
It would definitely be an overly interesting ending.
But he does not to seem to have interest in her that way(note I have just finished season one so I can't say anything for season two, jet).
Mar 5, 2017 8:42 PM
Dec 2016
I adore the hikki x saika ship. But I'm a Fujoshi so I'm biased. Just imagine the irl ebina. The brown hair and glasses and all. Literally. Also tho am I crazy for shipping ebina and the crazy writer dude. I actually love the idea of those two together. Am I alone on this one??

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

421 by Remurst »»
Apr 14, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

561 by Pancreas08 »»
Apr 12, 5:05 AM

» Where to read LN of yui's story

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 28

6 by Aruhaya »»
Mar 29, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

239 by phuchaitt3 »»
Mar 18, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 23, 2013

301 by venbals »»
Mar 15, 12:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.