MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Kids Station Responds that No Korean In Hetalia Anime [Updated on Jan 15]
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Kids Station Responds that No Korean In Hetalia Anime [Updated on Jan 15]

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
01-13-09, 10:24 PM
Manga Moderator
windy said:
Approved.
If I'm correct, there's a Prussia too, right? Which is similar to the Sealand thing. (Hetalia noob here sorry if I'm wrong)
Yes, there's a Prussia. I had to check my book to remember him ^_^;; (which has a nice profile listing of everyone). There's a Taiwan too and they certainly had their run-ins with the Japanese around WWII times as well.

01-13-09, 10:28 PM

I would say Koreans shouldn't make such a big fuss cos this is Japan you know >.< even though if we really did have a bad history with Japan and a lot of Koreans wouldn't like Japan as a country cos of that T__T but still it's just an anime/manga ~ not worth it really :P

01-13-09, 10:30 PM

Why as korean even mad ? at least they got into the dang thing, wheres the luv for canada D:

01-13-09, 10:37 PM

Icy-nee-san said:
Why as korean even mad ? at least they got into the dang thing, wheres the luv for canada D:
he's not going to be in it?!!? i thought he just wasn't in our DB...

01-14-09, 2:00 AM

its probably also due to the fact that Corea holds a lot of animosity towards Japan.

01-14-09, 3:03 AM

Which is undestandably enough given the history, but then Germany/Preussia is mocked aswell, now you don't see me throwing a fit over that (im german). Its all been in the long long past, so who cares really.. (Ok, BAD comparision, i know history ;p)

Anyway, I understand why the uproar is, still anime is anime... not like anyone is gonna like korea more or less based on this. But if this was a PR-Stunt then it was well executed, because i hadn't heard of this anime either. Oh well ;p

01-14-09, 3:24 AM

Boo freaking hoo Korea
Seriously you should grow up
My Grandfather is a holocust survivor and one of my favorite mangas is Hellsing that has the wholel Nazi army half way through the manga till the end
One of my favorite Hellsing characthers is Rip Van Winkle and she was a Nazi
Believe me Jews had it tough and we still do with how a lot of the world view us
but so freaking what?if something is good I will read/watch it
if something is funny but offensive I will still laugh because it's freaking funny

My point is Hetalia is a gag manga
it's like Azumanga Daioh with countries and I wish it had more countries (I am waiting for a little Israel to come up and that the mangaka will make fun of because I am sure it will be funny)
Will you ban Azumanga Daiou if Osaka was Korean?

01-14-09, 4:56 AM

Ah qq and keep playing sc
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Lunatic-kr&sclick=1]

01-14-09, 6:20 AM

whiteday26 said:
Japanese studio already have agreed to do so in respect for the Korean protesters.

That's a mistake of fact. They didn't have the intention to show korea from the beginning, not in response to the protest. Koreans got mad at nothing.

01-14-09, 6:32 AM

Look, I don't think it's so much that Koreans can't take a joke as it was a Japanese mangaka that invoked it. Because since it's a Japanese, the insinuations will be seen differently or, actually are different. In reference to the history lesson on the previous page, Japan used to occupy Korea and committed heinous war crimes during it's occupation and they haven't yet apologized, which one could construe as a non-recognition of them.

Thus, anything pertaining to the issue is obviously very touchy, if brought up by a Japanese, no? I highly doubt they'd get this fired up, should it be an American comic artist who was penning this instead as the context wouldn't have been the same or rather, seen the same by the Koreans.

Some mentioned, "But hey! Japan was also making fun of other countries too." Well, to be fair, Japan wasn't the one who did anything to most of those other countries nor haven't apologized for what they did.

I do agree that the Koreans are a bit overboard in demanding the anime to be axed. They could have just insisted, at the most, for Korea to be removed which Japan decided to. Anyhow, Japan isn't going to be canceling the anime series no matter.

thirdlc said:
whiteday26 said:
Japanese studio already have agreed to do so in respect for the Korean protesters.

That's a mistake of fact. They didn't have the intention to show korea from the beginning, not in response to the protest. Koreans got mad at nothing.

dtshyk, can you clarify? Did the Japanese themselves never had any intention to feature the Korean character or they axed it out because of the Korean protest?
Modified by Keira, 01-14-09, 8:52 AM

01-14-09, 7:24 AM
Manga Moderator
Keira said:
Some mentioned, "But hey! Japan was also making fun of other countries too." Well, to be fair, Japan wasn't the one who did anything to most of those other countries nor haven't apologized for what they did.
Actually, there is a China and even Taiwan character. Both have "rough" histories with Japan.

As to the post above me, I wouldn't be shocked if Korea wasn't ever going to show up. Korea was a minor character amongst the minors.

01-14-09, 7:44 AM

If it was just Korea being mocked, then hey... I would actually get their protest. But fact is, it isn't just them who is just being mocked at all, it is other countries as well. From what I can tell, the real country that has a right to protest is Italy. I don't hold to country bashing stuff in general, but I have to say, when it is multiple countries, it is a different matter.

And to say that Koreans are still holding onto animosity from what was done to them over decades ago is just sad. Some of it goes back over fifty years ago to World War II, but the fact that some of this animosity goes back to issues hundreds of years ago... it's like saying that England and Spain should still show animosity towards each other because of the Spanish English war... or in the case of World War II, nobody forgiving Germany for it's transgressions. Not being so forgiving of Germany in World War I is one of the key factors for World War II. Not the main one, but one of the key ones.

This is also what I call censorship, whether the character was meant to show up or not. Selection over censorship I say.

01-14-09, 8:37 AM

The update made me giggle, a crime on a personal level? Like Murder? So satire is a crime? Do these people drop out of kindergarden ? Do they know what freedom of speech is? Then again this is just a diplomatic envoy.. about 0 relevance in politics... surely the south korean government is not gonna make a state crysis out of THIS? Because this would just be hillarious

Wow, i can not even believe that south korea dropped down to the level of Syria and Iran though..

01-14-09, 9:35 AM

Korea not a huge fan of satire then?
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

01-14-09, 9:39 AM

Funny how everyone complains about how many bad things happened to Korea in WWII that the arguing is justified, well guess what. Korea isn't the only country that suffered heavily during WWII, and quite frankly, there are countries which were much worse of during that time period. China and Poland to name an example.
Now i don't see them complaining (interesting China isn't, or haven't we picked up on it?).

It's all just a internet flame fest between the koreans and japanese, which expanded itself onto the political forum.

01-14-09, 9:55 AM

Now I don't know much about Korean government... or the gov't in general, but I recently heard that they were or are under a dictatorship kind of ruling. Wouldn't that have something to do with this? Being all strict and whatnot, and not really 'whining'? I don't know.

It's probably not related, but on Google maps you can't even get the main highways in South Korea, while in Japan, America, etc you can get so close as to tour the streets.

01-14-09, 10:00 AM

Thats because technically, south korea is still at war with north korea.. and with north korea not having its own sattellites (or anything at all to begin with) limitation of war depending info is strong even now.

Don't forget either that there is a quite large military force at the DMZ between north and south korea, and that is the "hottest" DMZ in existence. Quite literally constantly under most heavy guard by US and south korean troops on one side and north korean "soldiers" on the other side..

Thats one of the reasons north korea is known as the black hole of information. Nothing gets in, nothings gets out. And its people starve to death... issn't that a nice state of affairs? (sarcasm) ,p

01-14-09, 10:21 AM

rofl @ the update. Yay for obvious attempts at capitalizing on Korean/Japanese animosity.

Tatriana said:
Now I don't know much about Korean government... or the gov't in general, but I recently heard that they were or are under a dictatorship kind of ruling. Wouldn't that have something to do with this? Being all strict and whatnot, and not really 'whining'? I don't know.

Uh, no. South Korea's government is a democratic republic, similar to the United State's system. South Korea is where the protest is coming form.

North Korea, on the other hand, is a dictatorship, but North Koreans have more to worry about than what Japanese manga-ka say about them. That, and the fact that there are just as many internet users in Antarctica as North Korea...

01-14-09, 10:29 AM
Manga Moderator
lol @ the update. I like how this publicity is turning attention toawards the anime, gaining it some more possible viewers.

01-14-09, 10:31 AM

And those in the antararctica are MUCH better fed....

You'd think south koreans had better things to do than feed the flamewars (even political ones!) with the loveable japanese. And seriously, japan gives me anime, i like japan much more than south korea, which gives me LESS CHARACTERS in an anime i never heard about, take that political correctness... yarrrr ;p

But i'll be honest, before this i didn't even know theres such a thing as Korean/Japanese animosity... kinda sad indeed.. and they really don't get the concept of satire eh.. ouch

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices