MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Search Forum Kids Station Responds that No Korean In Hetalia Anime [Updated on Jan 15]

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

Mar 20, 2009 9:25 PM

In response to all the derogatory comments made about Korea, it may be true that Korea is acting a bit too irrational. After all, as one person pointed out, all countries played the part of the fool, especially Italy. But...shouldn't you guys get your facts straight? Are you guys even aware of the depth of the bitter, intense animosity between Japan and Korea? Much more than probably you or I can imagine, and for Japan, well, a Japanese manga artist to blatantly make fun of Korea like that, how could Korea not respond? I kind of understand their feelings and the reason for demanding the removal of the character..... So, before insulting a country like that because of an inconsequential thing such as a character, wouldn't it be better to know and understand the situation?

Mar 20, 2009 9:54 PM

That's some nice dead horse beating. Now I suggest you kick back, relax, grab a bowl of pasta, and listen to some good music.

Apr 13, 2009 9:11 PM

Lolli00 said:
Are you guys even aware of the depth of the bitter, intense animosity between Japan and Korea? Much more than probably you or I can imagine, and for Japan, well, a Japanese manga artist to blatantly make fun of Korea like that, how could Korea not respond?

Except the thing is, Korea is only throwing a fit possibly because they are being made fun of. Some might argue that Hetalia Axis has some sort of hidden agenda, politically that is, however... I really can't take any of the humor in it to be in anyway offencive, having seen some of the episodes, for what I've seen, Hetalia Axis is all done in good humor. I think the biggest issue is, Korea made such a big deal over one character that can't possibly compare to some of the offensive things that have been done to the country.
shinkeikaku said:
That's some nice dead horse beating. Now I suggest you kick back, relax, grab a bowl of pasta, and listen to some good music.

Hee... I doubt that anyone who doesn't know about Hetalia would get it, but if you listen to the music, it does show how silly and in good humor the whole thing is. I've always loved the theme song. :)

Apr 14, 2009 3:30 PM

Um, to the idiots that are blaming every single koreans out there because of this, shut up? It's an anime show. It's not the end of the world.

once again, It's ANIME. not LIFE.

Apr 15, 2009 9:42 PM

cantius said:
Um, to the idiots that are blaming every single koreans out there because of this, shut up? It's an anime show. It's not the end of the world.

once again, It's ANIME. not LIFE.

Good point... and I bet there are some Koreans who saw the show and were disapointed. An odd ball comparison, it's like saying that with Harry Potter, all Harry/Hermione shippers are delusional because of some of the stunts some of them pull... that isn't true though. However, those that tend to get noticed tend to give a bad name to the few.

May 1, 2009 4:59 AM

Lol, whats so funny about this issue is that the Koreans made a huge ass out of themselves, because the "problematic scene" is in the webcomic but not the actual anime. Without doing full research they got the anime cancelled which is a real pity. Now they (Korea) will be the only major country which is not going to be featured in the anime (How sad).

In return, the anime received worldwide attention (thank you Korea!), the ending song has been translated to multiple languages (yes Japanese people are scavenging and listening to ALL the songs in different language and we love it. Love the US version too) . So actually they acheived something much worse that what they have planned for. Actually from the ending song, I strongly feel this anime promotes world peace rather than blatant racism and glorification of WW2.

"Lets not bring politics into anime!" as someone mentioned before. :)

By the way (some) Koreans are pure hypocrits. They are just as racist making movies of Japan getting nuked and our emporer getting assassinated (hows that for insensitive!) they have absolutely no rights to complain.

Japan's such as wuss :( when it comes to International politics. I hope people pressure Kids station to broadcast it again : P

May 3, 2009 4:28 PM

Jeez, Korea! Have a sense of humor XD

I'm surprised the news hasn't picked this up: "KOREA LAUNCHES MISSILE AND CALLS ANIME 'INSULTING'"

They should see the shit we have in America XDD

May 23, 2009 10:49 PM

BadLuckTuckxL said:

I'm surprised the news hasn't picked this up: "KOREA LAUNCHES MISSILE AND CALLS ANIME 'INSULTING'"

I have to agree with that... some of the stuff that they put out over here is in truth more racially stired then the Anime ever got.

nihonichiban said:
Actually from the ending song, I strongly feel this anime promotes world peace rather than blatant racism and glorification of WW2.

Have to agree with that too. I mean, it makes fun of the whole WW2 and makes fun of the stupidity we see in politics, in a light, humerous way that I have never been able to get why people get offended at it, unless they are anal retentive over the whole mess. And that goes too far.

Kind of like how Song of the South is not released in America because of 'racial' issues and the really sad thing about that is this... it is one of the first movies to STAR an AFRICAN AMERICAN... my mom is waiting for them to come back and sell it here, but one can only get it outside the country...

May 24, 2009 8:52 PM

Damn politics, it can't even leave a chibi anime alone. >_>
大阪大好きやねん!

May 25, 2009 2:14 PM
Manga Moderator
chryseis said:
poor Korea ._. even his own country hates him.

LOL! XD

Alwerien said:
What the. I'm not sure what should Italy say then XDD. Being made fun of...it goes for all for them >.> Jeez.
I always thought Korea was cute :<

Precisely my thoughts.
And, why don't they understand that this way they'll just make everyone hate them? Since those stupid nationalists started to complain about it other people have started to think that all the Koreans are bad, when there are nice people over there too.
Seriously, why can't they just take it as what it is: a super-cute and adorable joke? It would be so much better to just go with the wise, old rule: don't like don't watch/read. -.-

nihonichiban said:
Actually from the ending song, I strongly feel this anime promotes world peace rather than blatant racism and glorification of WW2.

I couldn't agree more with you. I always thought that Hetalia was promoting world peace, surely not the opposite. And the anime gives me a very strong feeling on this direction too.
Modified by Loxaris, May 25, 2009 2:18 PM

May 29, 2009 12:34 PM

BadLuckTuckxL said:

Dude, shut the fuck up. Your not funny at all.

Jun 3, 2009 9:48 AM

Besides, if the Italians aren't mad no one has the right to be mad. xD
大阪大好きやねん!

Jun 5, 2009 8:27 PM

Xzaxs said:
Besides, if the Italians aren't mad no one has the right to be mad. xD

I know, as they get made fun of the most. However, some people might argue that because Italy is so darn cute and innocent, it makes up for it, but I don't think so. I have over a guarter German blood and had family who had to flee the country. I LOVE Germany, as he plays on all the sterotypes of Germans. Then again, some German Americans joke about that, so that may not be a good example.

Jun 8, 2009 3:50 AM

they are embarrassing themselves..srsly.. XD
the episodes didnt even finished showing and they are filling a stupid outrage..go smart asses..they cant be any dumber than that eh?

Jun 9, 2009 11:31 AM

Agreed that people from Italy should be more offended of Hetalia than Koreans. Though Italy is such a adorable character imho. <3

Since I barely know the background between Korea and Japan, I'll keep silent. In fact I had no idea that Korea was part of Japan or in WWII.
Kind of like how I didn't know that Japanese and German (probably Italians too) moved to South America.. since that why I have Japanese and German in meh. XD; Also South America was also in or impacted by WWII.
Either US textbooks don't point out the minor details... or they don't add anything that doesn't associate with America. >_>; Probably the latter.

Anyways, I would recommend not bashing Koreans for complaining about a character supposedly representing them. They do have the right to complain you know.

Jun 9, 2009 12:07 PM

Sakimichi said:
they are embarrassing themselves..srsly.. XD
the episodes didnt even finished showing and they are filling a stupid outrage..go smart asses..they cant be any dumber than that eh?
uh this whole thing started before the anime even began airing; it's the reason the only way we can view it is through crappy streams.
you're making yourself look ignorant by calling them "smart asses" and "dumb"...having a different opinion than yours doesn't make them smart asses or dumb. you should educate yourself more on this before you start shooting out insults.

about italy should be more offended than korea: i don't know if i agree with that; i think all countries involved have a right to get as offended as anyone else.

Jun 16, 2009 1:11 AM

I wish I could Take the stand on TV and address the Korea thing. I would say what other people are scared to say. I don't give a Damn what people in Korea thinks of me. I also have friends that live in Korea If they get pissed then that is there fault. Every Country gets made fun of and they actually cried over something like this. If I just had 2 minutes on a special broadcast people from that country would want to kill me.
Go Watch Sumomo momo Its epic. It has not gotten much attention... Episode 1
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v83597095dreGdW#comments

Jun 16, 2009 10:19 AM

Mario1-7 said:
I wish I could Take the stand on TV and address the Korea thing. I would say what other people are scared to say. I don't give a Damn what people in Korea thinks of me. I also have friends that live in Korea If they get pissed then that is there fault. Every Country gets made fun of and they actually cried over something like this. If I just had 2 minutes on a special broadcast people from that country would want to kill me.

That just goes to show you need to go outside more and improve your social life. Anime isn't that important.

Jun 22, 2009 7:33 AM

Pinkydragon said:

Either US textbooks don't point out the minor details... or they don't add anything that doesn't associate with America. >_>; Probably the latter.

Anyways, I would recommend not bashing Koreans for complaining about a character supposedly representing them. They do have the right to complain you know.

First, on the textbooks, when teaching American History, there is over two hundred years of histrory to cover, not to mention, the conutry is huge, so the World Wars get maybe one, perhaps two chapters. So, minor details on a LOT of things get cut out. Thus, if it doesn't play a part in American History, it ends up cut.

Then there are the World History textbooks. Most focus on the European part of the war, not the Asian part. And I also think that teachers don't cover it, because... do you know how many countries and island names there are for the Pacific area? A whole lot... which caused problems. And most haven't covered this themselves, as truth be told, the European part gets shown the most.

Minor details get left to college classes and I will tell you this... even then there is SO much information, they tend to not get covered. Which is why most people find histroy a very boring subject, but I love it!

Second, we aren't saying that they shouldn't complain about representation. That wasn't the issue. The issue was that they tried to censor work that most of them didn't know the full story behind. They just heard about the anime, and went up in arms. It's kind of like how some people heard about a human sacrifice in book four of the Harry Potter books and went up in arms... they didn't have the full story. In fact, the story was not completly true.

Windy... part of the reason that we're saying the Italy has more right to be offended then any other country is because Italy seems to be the main character, and the one that ends up made fun of the most. Truth be told, any person of a country has the right to be offended by something, but unless it is really something that is majorly overboard, which this show isn't, they don't have the right to censor this.

Song of the South is missing from American Disney releases just because someone took offence at the movie, when there is nothing wrong with it, just like Axis. This makes my mom mad, because she can't get a copy for over here. And the biggest bad part of that... this is one of the first movies to have the main adult role playied by an actual African American, and he is the first to receive an Academy Award amoung the black community, though it was an "honorary" one. And Baskett's role is awsume!

In other words, for me it isn't an issue of whether or not someone should or should not be offended, but whether that offence is good enough reason for cencorship.. most of the time... it isn't.

Jun 22, 2009 7:42 AM

CRY MOAR
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...

Jun 23, 2009 6:40 AM

Well, to some degree, they do have a right to complain, but at the same time, it's a bit overreacting of Koreans to do that.
But being a Korean and all, I guess I could see why.

But what most people don't realize, for those that are a bit oblivious to world history or let alone the cultures of others, is that Korea was occupied by Japan during this time, and let's just say that resentment and bitterness STILL exists as of today. I know to some people you want to say "Just forget about it and move on," but that's just something you really can't do. It's just something really personal and touchy, and so in a sense, I see why they are overreacting.

At the same time though, the series in general is supposed to be sheer satire and parodies, and so it is a bit over the top to complain about it, especially when there are far more... umm... "interesting" characters such as Italy and England, ahaha. But you know, before you dismiss this as "stupid" or "ridiculous", do realize that there's a lot more behind the relationship between Japan and Korea, ESPECIALLY during that time period.

Jun 26, 2009 9:55 AM

Sotoriel said:
But what most people don't realize, for those that are a bit oblivious to world history or let alone the cultures of others, is that Korea was occupied by Japan during this time, and let's just say that resentment and bitterness STILL exists as of today. I know to some people you want to say "Just forget about it and move on," but that's just something you really can't do. It's just something really personal and touchy, and so in a sense, I see why they are overreacting.

I knew that Korea was occupied by Japan, but so was China during this time frame. Yet we didn't see China complaining about their character. There is also some rather bad blood between China and Japan, though not as bad as Korea if I recall.

I have only seen the anime, does anyone know if there was something particular about the character that they took offence with? Because... it is ridiculace if it was just because they had a character in Hetalia... but if there was something particular that they found... I guess off beat?

Actually... I can think of France and Germany possibly holding a simular grudge... because there are lands that are still disputed over which should belong to which country. Doesn't help that one peice of it is known as a wheel or hubub of commerce in Europe.

Jun 28, 2009 1:16 PM

The Koreans missed something major about Hetalia:

IT IS SATIRE!

Jul 7, 2009 8:40 PM

Sana said:
The Koreans missed something major about Hetalia:

IT IS SATIRE!

Yup... and we should all get mad at Animal Farm because it satires the human race as nothing more then pigs. Or we should get mad at a modest proposal, for wanting to ... if you haven't read it, I won't spoil it... but it should be banned for its over zelous suggestions... even though the peice of work helped to draw proper attention to a need at the time. Oh... or we should get upset about Pet Shop of Horrors. I saw the Anime and it had quite a bit of satire on the human ego there... I am being sarcastic about this... these peices are actually very good peices of work...

Sep 20, 2009 9:15 PM

Oh my... .__.
Modified by DarkRabbitReaper, Mar 16, 2010 2:57 AM

Feb 14, 2010 12:31 AM

Which is why I started watching it... I found this lovely topic, and as part German, I loved the fact that the sterotypes we tend to joke about ourselves are in there, even thought they don't always hold true.

Mar 19, 2010 10:54 PM

First, on the textbooks, when teaching American History, there is over two hundred years of histrory to cover,
Oh my, Such Long History! Puh-lease, we here have 1300 years history and manage to cover it for 12 years... WWI and WWII are practically teached one whole semester... Though we learn only things, concerning Europe... Sadly, we can't cover it all too, but we have a really long history, y'know?

And I understand the koreans. From far as I read here, their situation is similar to ours with Turkey. They ruined our empire /not exactly... But with all those skillful khans and kings, we made some cool history... Maybe we could have become something, by the time of King Simeon, we were reaching 3 seas AND Byzantian Empire was paying as /what was the word... no, not debt... get my point?/. They enslaved us for 500 years and did nothing for us! My dad always say, "I wish we were enslaved by England for example... They would've take care of us, unlike them. And then the comunism, blah-blah, and now we're one of the poorest in Europe. We can use all those 1300 years of history to wipe our butts, nothing else. So yeah, almost nobody here likes Turkey, and we never will, cause we're that much of a stupid patriots. So try to understand the koreans! Even if the japanese are sorry, even if this is a joke - it's still the same. All this hatred just can't go away. We, bulgarians, will react the same if Turkey did that. ;)

The funny thing is, probably almost no one here even knows that there's such a country in Europe. It pretty much sucks to be patriot, cause you know it's all in the past. Curse year 1396 ><
I don't hate the turkish people, it's not their fault, but something like that won't pass by. Probably the koreans feel the same way as I do. You guys just... don't know what it's like ;) I wouldn't mind making fun of for WWII though... We pretty much sucked for allies anyway, it'll be fun. Plus, Japan did nothing to us, so why bother ? ^_^ Besides, we're pals, quite some japanese people are living here fter they grew old xD
Modified by Nao-stani, Mar 19, 2010 11:08 PM

Mar 24, 2010 3:09 AM

mr_utopia_man said:
People take nationalism way too seriously.

Fantan said:

But it's satire. These things shouldn't be taken seriously for god's sake.

Korea will be missed.

agreed with you both.
awww that sensitive people.. ;A;

Mar 24, 2010 3:16 AM

Well, many other countries are being portrayed in their respective ways as well. Of course, people would find stuff like that insulting, but it's time to be more open.

Apr 14, 2010 4:55 PM

There's no singapore so am i going to protest? are koreans fucking stupid?

Apr 15, 2010 5:10 AM

Alwerien said:
What the. I'm not sure what should Italy say then XDD. Being made fun of...it goes for all for them >.> Jeez.
I always thought Korea was cute :<

Exactly.... >__>

May 3, 2010 8:45 AM

At least they have a Korea in the series. Where the hell is my Republic of Ireland character?

May 3, 2010 12:36 PM

I watch you sleep <3

Nov 16, 2010 7:34 AM

Hey guys, I'm sorry to disappoint you guys with this answer, but as a Korean/Japanese girl (my mom is japanese and my dad is korean), I've had many jokes on me.

I was raised here in Korea since I was young, and to tell you the truth, Koreans (that were born in Korea) just like getting mad/worked up over anything. You see tons of funny jokes that make you want to crap your pants in Japan and other countries like Saturday Night Live from America or Hardo Gay from Japan. (Just a few examples) However, if a celebrity were to perform these kind of acts, Koreans will immediately take action to shun this "disgusting being".
I can say that Koreans just love taking a stand against things. It may be in their culture, and what I told you is just one of many examples. If a male celebrity is dating a female celebrity, the female fans will go through hell to get that female celebrity out of the entertainment buisness. Etc. Etc.

http://blog.naver.com/tkrhkehrud?Redirect=Log&logNo=10040718230

This netizen isn't mad about the being imprisoned by Japanese. He wasn't even alive when this all happened, honestly.
He's mad because (taken directly from his words):

1. The character looks stupid (and his clothes are all wrong)
2. The character's a pervert.
3. "독도는 우리땅이라구요" -->"Dokdo is our land"
4. The character follows the Japanese.
5. The character only takes pride in his land.

*However, like many of you have already stated, all of the other country characters had their own cute faults as well. So in other words, this person was just mad because Japan said it and he has an immature hate for them IMO.

http://agfei95.blog.me/30041003241

This person is mad because

1.Our clothes are wrong
2.They claim that Koreans are brothers with Chinese.
3.They claim that Koreans enjoy touching Japanese women's breasts.
4.They claimed that Korea's birthday is May 1st when it is in fact August 15th
5.They claim that Korea is important/vital to America.
6.They portray Korea as someone who takes pride only in his own country.
7. They clamed that we created the (han-jja).
8. The anime is stupid/weird/retarded.

*As you can see these Koreans are just being sensitive and a bad sport. As someone who's been born in another light and lived here long enough, I understand how they feel and act, yet I do not agree with them. It's just somewhere in their culture.

However, let's face it here: if they wish for their country to not be insulted through broadcast (almost) worldwide, whether it be with other countries or not, that's their choice.

Sep 2, 2011 3:32 AM

I'm typical Korean who hates Hetalia to death. I just hate the fact that Korea is cute little guy who follows Japan all the time. Bull shit.

Sensitive? Sure. But any country will be sensitive if country like Japan, which gave most suffering to your own and distorting history for their nationalism, describe your country as if following every single stereotypes of your country that '2ch' created, you must get angry. We are tired of Japan's shit of altering history all the time, and cannot bear it any more.
Modified by ringoo4, Sep 2, 2011 3:35 AM

Oct 1, 2011 1:36 AM

Gosh it's just an anime! Just for fun. They don't really need to take it seriously.. -___-;
I actually hoped Korea would appear in the anime, but it seems that he wouldn't.. DX

Mar 30, 2012 10:56 PM

necr-

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]