Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 4, 2009 12:08 PM

Oct 2008
Zanzaa said:
Okay, i loved Serei Morobito and i really enjoyed it throughout. BUT a question kept on bugging me...

At the start of the series, we were introduced to Chagum. It was explained that the Emperor and the 8 warriors wanted him DEAD because they 'believed' that the drought sign would dissapear if Chagum was to be killed. Thus, even though they loved him, the Emperor and the 8 warriors valued the danger of the drought AHEAD of Chagum.

Later on, we found out that Chagum is not possessed by a fiend, but infact need to stay alive to prevent the draught. Thus, the Emperor and the 8 warriors changed their plan to save him now and keep him alive. This made PERFECT SENSE.

HOWEVER, at the end of the series (at episode 25 if im not mistaken), it was mentioned that the Emperor and the 8 warriors now had Chagum's life as Priority 1 and the Egg as priority 2.
The chief of the 8 warriors even explicitly said that Chagum's life should be saved even if it would be at the expense of the egg!! :S

Sorry, but now im very confused:S this casts some clouds over the main point of the story.
In the beggining, for the sake of the drought, the emperor and the 8 warriors seemed to be very eager in assasinating Chagum, and had no problem whatsover in their numerous attempts. But later, they want to save Chagum even if it means it would cast drought over the whole nation?????

Usually i tend to ignore some insignificant bits of storyand turn a blind eye in an excellent anime. But i find this part to be major.
So sumeone please enlighten me!! :)

I'm sorry I'm not really good at explaining, I'll just tell my opinion shortly..
I think it's because they change their mind after Prince Sagum's death.. Prince Chagum is the only candidate to be a king now..

And I really love the ending, although I really hope that Balsa and Tanda settle down.. But it's good enough with the last meeting between Balsa and Chagum.. I cried a lot.. :D
AeriShaSep 7, 2009 11:29 AM
Sep 24, 2009 12:31 PM

Sep 2007
Seirei no Moribito's incredible start made the rest of the series seem rather anti-climatic. 8/10
Sep 26, 2009 2:19 AM

Jul 2009
Fantastic anime! Happened upon it through the random recommendations....and I'm so glad I decided to check it out!

The Emperor annoys me though. Didn't they almost kill Chagum by mistakenly thinking he was harboring a demon? Wasn't this train of thought brought about by the false "Founding History" bit that was made up in the first place? And now he wants Chagum to lie about Balsa's part in the story and proclaim that he alone is a hero? Seems the Emperor doesn't learn from the past...

Ah, I'm sad we didn't get to see Balsa and Tanda get together, but I guess she has other stuff to take care of first. /sigh Hopefully we'll get another season or two.

As for Chagum, I thought it would be interesting if he ended up with the Yakue chick (can't remember her name at the moment). ^^
Sep 27, 2009 11:13 AM

Dec 2008
I hope they'll make an anime adaption of the second novel too.
Nov 16, 2009 5:50 PM

May 2008
7/10

good anime
i was just expecting a bit more from the other world :/
Dec 12, 2009 9:29 PM

Jan 2009
Manly tears were shed. It was a great anime, loved it. I really hope we can see the other light novels animated, don't want this to end yet ^^

Overall 8/10

Edit: Just read online and the second novel in on sale in the United States so i think i will order it when i go home lol ^^
burntlettuceDec 12, 2009 9:45 PM
Dec 17, 2009 3:36 PM

May 2009
Damn good anime.

It had a really powerful beginning with Balsa and Chagum being chased. I'll never forget the fight from episode three. Epic stuff. Then it almost turned into a slice of life with the daily life of Balsa, Tanda and Chagum before the main story started to pick up again.
My favorite episodes were probably the ones about Balsa's past. Finally getting to see how she and Jiguro travelled together, hunted.
It wasn't a very happy ending since Balsa and Chagum had to part ways. Balsa left, leaving Tanda behind - although he'll probably wait patiently for her to return.
The anime was a bit slow and it didn't have lot of action, but the action it had was great. The pacing was good and it was always interesting to watch and it had some great characters. I'm going to miss them...
Not to mention this anime had superb animation and art throughout the entire series and an amazing soundtrack by Kawai Kenji.

I would love it so much if Production I.G decided to make another season. DO WANT.
stAtic91Dec 17, 2009 3:41 PM
Dec 20, 2009 12:06 AM

Mar 2009
i just finished watching it
and i really wanted tanda chagum and balsa to become a family xD but it was really good! i loved the anime! i hope there is another season!l
Dec 22, 2009 9:17 AM

Apr 2009
After the awesomeness of this show, the last episode just seemed lacking.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Dec 22, 2009 4:26 PM

May 2009
i really liked it.
i want to find these novels too, they look awesome!
Dec 23, 2009 4:57 AM

Aug 2007
I thought it would be over when they closed the doors, but then there was the meeting with Chagum... Epic anime, really. The pace was very good and every little thing that seemed unneccesary in the beginning ended up pretty important. Very nice, 9/10.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 26, 2009 10:26 PM
Dec 2009
The final episode was just awsome.The king really pissed me off though.He is such a dick.But the final meeting with Chagum and Balsa really did it for me.I started crying when they met for the last time.It was so damn sad.But I am curious about something though?What was those small blue things tied around Balsa's neck when we saw her heading for her home country?Almost looked like what Chagum had.But,anyway.This anime is good.Very good.I hope another season comes.
Jan 19, 2010 2:58 PM
Mar 2008
Great anime overall, but for me, there was way too much blablablabla, so I found it extremely boring at times. A couple more fighting scenes wouldn't have hurt.
It has the best animation I've ever seen: it's really detailed, consistent, fluid and gorgeous. Also, great characters. I'm glad Balsa and Tanda didn't end up together, I see them as friends, not lovers <.<
8/10 for me.
Mar 30, 2010 2:10 PM

Sep 2008
Gyah! I LOVED THIS SERIES! It's definitely one of my favorites.

I actually like slice of life series so Moribito never bored me (except for the crap with the star readers and mikado - but that's just because I didn't like those characters) even when it wasn't full of action. And the action episodes were simply amazing. I wish we could see more of Jiguro...

Perhaps when/if they animate the second season and she goes to clear her father and Jiguro's name we might be allowed to see more flashbacks and fights.

I definitely want to read the books though... I hope they translate all of them.

I keep seeing people wanting a flash forward scene, but honestly I like the way this ended. The only way it would be better is if someone would kill off that jerk mikado. He really does suck as a human being. Ordering his son to forget the woman who saved his life and nearly sacrificed her own, ordering him to continue perpetuating lies which is what nearly got him killed the first time around since the first mikado was more interested in securing power than telling the truth.

I'm glad he defied his father enough to properly say goodbye. ^_^ And I'm glad the hunters and Shuga helped him.

I'm a romantic at heart so I really did want to see Balsa stay with Tanda, but I think this worked out well. She still has something that she needs to do and who knows? She might find another child who needs her protection during the journey. Tanda has waited patiently for years, a couple more is certainly manageable. And Balsa's a wanderer so I don't think she's quite ready to settle down.

I do believe that she will return to Tanda at some point. I also think that Chagum may obey his father's orders for now, but once he becomes the mikado - he will renew his bonds with Balsa, Tanda, and Torogai (probably hoping to have a "sibling" that he can meet) afterall, when he's the man in charge no one can tell him who he can and cannot be friends with.
Apr 1, 2010 5:24 PM

Aug 2009
Amazing anime. I really liked the fact that I found _none_ of the characters annoying or unlikeable (maybe the king a little bit).

Great storytelling, great fight scenes and nice consistent animation throughout the whole thing. 9/10
MotokompaApr 1, 2010 6:12 PM

Apr 20, 2010 9:55 AM

Jul 2009
Do i even need to complain? No.. 10/10

I will watch this again with my kids 10 years from now
LaevanteinApr 20, 2010 10:10 AM
Apr 21, 2010 8:42 AM

Feb 2010
Very Good Anime, just finished it.
Last episode was also great, though I would have liked it if they ran away ^^
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 28, 2010 5:52 AM

Jul 2009
A very good anime. All cast in this series is likeable, well except the mikado. I can't withstand some of his action.
Jun 16, 2010 12:06 AM
Feb 2008
Solid show. A little badly paced. Wanted more character conflict between the main characters. everyone seemed to polite to the point where things felt awfully sterile sometimes. A little more drama would've been nice

Great OST. And the landscapes were breathtaking. I'd love to see this as an OVA series where they could trim and spruce things up while moving things a long a bit faster.

The lack of communication thing when they found out about the Egg Eater made no sense.

The battle scenes were solid but the best had to be Jiguro's final fight.

The world was very imaginative and original. There was a lot taken from feudal Japan but it had it's own merits that didn't make it seem derivative. And I mean c'mon old school flame throwers? That's just awesome

Would love to read the books. Heard the final one is coming out this year. Would also like to see a 2nd season and Balsa's adventures in Kanbal. Wonder why she's going there since Rosgum is dead.
Jul 6, 2010 8:23 AM

Apr 2009
Loved this show, only what bugs me a bit:

The King obviously needed to get slapped, Shuga too.

And Chagums and Balsas had to part ways, but I guess that only shows how mature this show is.

I loved the whole Guardian and Save Lifes - Take Lifes issue this anime displayed, and the side characters like Janda, Torogai, Jiguro and the two kids where very likeable too. It had some of the best action scenes I've seen, yet action only played such a minor role, absolutely love that.

10/10 for one of my favourite shows.
SixFlagsJul 6, 2010 8:27 AM
Jul 17, 2010 7:22 AM

Mar 2009
Great ending to an amazing show!!

This show was just perfect for me...10/10!!

Balsa is one of my favorite characters ever, I would marry her :P!!!

It's sad that it's over, but I have the second book to read.

I've been holding out on it, because Scholastic has only released the first two, and it doesn't look like they're gonna release the other eight volumes.

It would be awesome if they did more anime, and I've heard rumors about live-action films produced in the US?

I don't know if we could do this magical story justice in the states LOL.

Urahara Out!!
Jul 22, 2010 11:04 PM

Aug 2008
THAT WAS AWESOME.

Instant fav, 10/10
Aug 3, 2010 10:29 AM

Jun 2009
I was worried about the archers they set-up as backup, but thank goodness the Hunters cover up Balsa.

Torogai taking advantage of the reward compensation,

Another teary moment between Chagum and Balsa, and Chagum joking-seriously about the other child lol

It was like 20mins and I want to see Tohya and Saya status, but good thing at least they showed it.

Thanks to you Chubiba, now everything was cleared esp. Balsa's return to Kanbal. Oh so there will be another season? amazing I hope so.

*10/10 I've marathon this anime for 2days since my net is just .2-5mbps. And I rarely give anime a 10 so this is worth watching, sacrificing just to watch it
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 12, 2010 11:10 PM

Nov 2008
Chagam cries as they say goodbye
Good decent ending episode 10/10 as a whole
So ends this great series (marathoned this series in 2 days)
DoubleD369Aug 12, 2010 11:13 PM
Sep 9, 2010 3:25 PM

May 2010
They aren't kidding when they say clothes make the man

Oh Torogai, you funny old fart!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 10, 2010 9:17 PM

Feb 2009
Well, we all got saved because a mother wouldn't let her asshole of a husband kill their son! Very nice very nice indeed.
Sep 24, 2010 4:41 PM

Sep 2008
Such a great show. I loved every single bit of it. I wish I have watched this when it was airing; the episode discussions would probably be awesome. One of the few shows I gave a 10.
Nov 5, 2010 4:35 AM

Oct 2010
shotta77 said:
I wept! T_T

Not the only one, dear.

burntlettuce said:
Manly tears were shed.

I did as well, though a woman I am. Seeing Chagum became strong is such a painful yet satisfying experience. Seeing the tough Balsa became so attached to a child as to drop her belongings for the sake of an embrace had a powerful effect.

Especially when we compare their human relationship to the kinds that our little world is actually having now... ah, what am I musing about.

Ekvi said:
Amazing anime. I really liked the fact that I found _none_ of the characters annoying or unlikeable (maybe the king a little bit).

Yes.

Laevantein said:
Do i even need to complain? No.. 10/10

Yes.

I have done praising this anime in detail on my Indonesian blog. The only thing I'm capable to spill right now is: Well done. Well done. As obviously imperfect the works of human are always, most aspects in this series is utterly well done. Such a bless. I'll never forget this.

Now, to learn Japanese...
Dec 16, 2010 7:45 PM
Jun 2010
where the hell is the sequel ? how come something this awesome only gets 1 season.

-_-

Jan 7, 2011 12:45 PM

Oct 2009
Its over...... T_T
:(((
This is going into my favorites instantly! One of the BEST anime out there, MAGNIFICENT! BEAUTIFUL!
Chagum sure grew through out the series, his a better man than i am and his only 12 D:
:PP
Torogai is one funny old fart XD
Sad to see Balsa and Chagum part ways :(
The emperor is a ASS >_>
But i was happy to see everyone else take their side :)

And...Balsa leaves for Kanbal (Next volume), great ending to a spectacular show!
Sure hope rest of the volumes get animated :\ though very unlikely seeing as its been 4 years since original run ):
AND only 2 volumes are out in the US D:

Ah well...*keeps fingers crossed*

Overall 9/10 (somethings preventing me from giving it 10 T>T)
Feb 7, 2011 1:34 AM

Oct 2008
Sold show, characters were awesome and pacing was done well. Not really my type of genre though, i'm more of a rom/com/drama kinda person so the fact that nothing really happened with tanda and balsa kinda hurts my personal score (perhaps in later novels it does?). However, in this genre its gotta be one of the best I've seen.

Easy 8/10
Feb 14, 2011 10:26 PM

Feb 2010
I thought the fantasy setting was undoubtedly magnificent and detailed, coupled with the excellent choice of bgm. The story was well-crafted and the society portrayed match the series well. Balsa and co were so endearing to me throughout the series. This is, at the moment, my favorite fantasy show.

10/10

Laevantein said:

Yes, absolutely !
Feb 22, 2011 11:24 AM

Apr 2009
Legion17 said:
I'm going to miss Chagum. He can't really get mixed up with Balsa and her group anymore. The future of the kingdom lies on him. I knew he wouldn't join Balsa on her journey too because he such a great person, the perfect ruler. The same for Balsa ending up with Tanda, they're so perfect for each other yet Balsa doesn't seem like the type to settle down just yet. A happy ending for the two of them would've seem out of character.

Couldn't say it better myself, really! A part of me is sad that Tanda has to wait who knows how long, but the other, bigger part, likes the way they resolved it.
Chagum and Balsa's goodbye was so sad...I had to try really hard to hold my tears back.
All in all, one of the best series I was fortunate to watch. Very enjoyable from start to end, and with a cast of loveable characters, where even the at first 'bad' guys managed to make me care about them. Chagum and co. will be missed.
If you know more series like that and are eager to share, don't hesitate to drop me a comment (:
Here's to hoping for another season!
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 16, 2011 12:45 PM

Apr 2009
Oh man, I'm gonna miss Balsa, Chagum and Tanda together... T_T

Amazing series, I'm willing to wait for the second season till I die or maybe I could read the novels somehow... XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 21, 2011 3:13 AM

May 2010
MaxCrazy7 said:
Well, we all got saved because a mother wouldn't let her asshole of a husband kill their son! Very nice very nice indeed.

yup! sagum (chagum brother) shouldn't die, the one who must die are supposed to be the emperor!
Jun 23, 2011 1:07 AM

Feb 2010
Xinil said:
I still think he should age by like..7-8 years and marry Balsa. Tanda is cool and all, but come on, Chagum should get Balsa. :D
nah man, let him age a couple more years and marry Torogai. That way Balsa can marry Jiguru, Tanda can marry Saya, and Touya can marry Chagum's mom.
Aug 17, 2011 9:14 AM

Mar 2009
I've had the complete series on DVD sitting on my shelf for nearly a year and a half now. I finally finished it today and I loved it. I was a little disappointed by the fact that Balsa didn't settle down with Tanda on screen but their getting together is definitely implied. Other than a mildly bittersweet ending I didn't have any issues with this show. 9/10 for now but that score could rise upon a second viewing when I screen cap the series for my blog.

Moribito was a refreshing series in a number of ways. The slow pace allowed for some touching character interactions, it was easy to care about the main characters, the plot was well executed and the ending was realistic. It was great to see a strong female character who could easily kick ass but refused to take a life. It was also sweet how Balsa and Chagum bonded as mother and child until the very end. Furthermore, the animation and music were gorgeous. It was great to see such high production values for this show in an era where low budget series are the industry norm. Praise aside, I can see how some would take issue with the slow pacing and lack of action in this series. Still I think the positives by far outweigh the negatives. In the end Moribito is a rare treat: a well done animated series that doesn't come along very often.

I'm so glad I caught some of this on Adult Swim a few years ago otherwise I would have never known about it.
Nov 21, 2011 11:59 AM

Apr 2011
Faust721 said:

Its all over T_T

A very nice final episode. I was near tears after the meeting of Balsa and Chagum. I can't wait till scholastic starts releasing the novels. This story is solely on the first volume so lets hope for another season.

Overall: 9/10
Ah so there's more.. bad luck we're not having more animated T_T
I felt like most, wish there was a bit more with Tanda and Balsa.

Was a good story but kinda overrated, though I think this is most likely because I watched this based on the recommendation from The Twelve Kingdoms and was expecting something alike when they are almost nothing alike.
K-ShuunNov 21, 2011 12:38 PM
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Dec 16, 2011 5:11 AM

Jul 2009
K-Shuun said:
Faust721 said:

Its all over T_T

A very nice final episode. I was near tears after the meeting of Balsa and Chagum. I can't wait till scholastic starts releasing the novels. This story is solely on the first volume so lets hope for another season.

Overall: 9/10
Ah so there's more.. bad luck we're not having more animated T_T
I felt like most, wish there was a bit more with Tanda and Balsa.

Was a good story but kinda overrated, though I think this is most likely because I watched this based on the recommendation from The Twelve Kingdoms and was expecting something alike when they are almost nothing alike.

Something being overrated is very subjective, so juts don't say it.

This was a damn good series. The budget was clearly high and I.G. clearly put a LOT of love into it. The attention to detail at times was astounding, and I loved the very harsh setting with the Mikado having so many tough decisions etc.

Really, it was the Star Readers fault that Chagum was going to be assassinated.
Jan 18, 2012 6:39 AM

Aug 2008
Chagummm! He less charming with his prince clothes!
The ending is really great, it's nice to see the characters settle down and it was heartbreaking seeing Chagum crying in Balsa's arms, but it can't be helped, he's going to be an amazing ruler.

It became one of my favorite! :D
Jan 23, 2012 8:16 AM

Aug 2011
Really nice ending. I was expecting this series to be good from all the good reviews, and I wasn't disappointed.
Mar 9, 2012 3:58 PM

Aug 2010
Excellent show. Just superb. The realistic ending was truly the right approach, even though I wanted Balsa and Chagum to stay together and live their lives alongside Tanda, but that just wouldn't of had been realistic considering their character's personalities. It would of had seemed like a forced happy ending.

Amazing series, amazing OST, amazing characters, I really enjoyed this one. 9/10
Mar 17, 2012 1:15 AM
Nov 2011
Ah, nice conclusion. The anime was good, I must say. It had a decent plot and an amazing character (Balsa); the only thing I didn't liked was the anime's pacing. Anyhow, 7/10 ought to be good.
May 15, 2012 1:17 PM

Apr 2011
Great series, enjoyed it a lot. 8/10
Adam_RNov 22, 2012 1:06 PM
May 27, 2012 7:42 AM
Apr 2011
I teared when Chagum broke out in tears the moment he saw Balsa :( It was so touching for her to give him the option of staying or going with her and he chose to walk the hard road and become a man on his own.
I actually really wanted Chagum to just drop all that crown prince thing and go with Balsa :( But that would obviously just throw realistic-ness out the window, lol. It's really nice to see Chagum grow from a little boy to a man (metaphorically); I remember when Balsa first saw him and he cowered and was scared at everything..Now, he's in charge of his life and standing on his own two feet :') I'm sure he'll never forget about Balsa and vice versa.

Side note, I really want an OVA or something showing like 10 years later how Chagum is going in the palace and whether Balsa/Tanda are together hehehe.
Jun 24, 2012 11:57 PM

Apr 2012
Wow, such a solid show! A little on the kid's pov sometimes, and I kind of waited for more action after the first few episodes, but that should have been predictable from a novel basically aimed at kids. All the rest was just gorgeous, pure and simple. Balsa kept reminded me of Michiko <3. The only painful part was the opening song, such a shame because the opening is beautiful otherwise.

Looking forward to read the other novels in Japanese!
Jun 28, 2012 9:46 AM

Dec 2008
Good ending and I loved the goodbye and Tanda and balsa will most likely get together after she takes care of matters in Kanbal b/c she has to go back to her & jiguro's place of birth to fix past mistakes and put his soul at rest.

Overall 10/10
Aug 9, 2012 6:20 AM
Jul 2018
It's so sad to know that there isn't a second season of Moribito. I wonder if they'll ever animate the other books.
Anyway, I bought the first two english-translated novels and I'm gonna read them soon. Too bad they didn't translate the others.

Best anime I ever seen. 10/10.
Aug 18, 2012 12:41 PM

Jul 2011
Edit 4: 2016 rewatch and re-read of the novel ending.
The overall ending with the Rarunga is similar (throwing the egg up - except Tanda did it), but plenty of details in the last episode or two were changed. Also, there was less character development in the book... I would say the adaptation of the ending was just fine though. Although Balsa's final conversation with Tanda was sadly not included. I think Kamiyama Kenji needed one more episode, because the way he adapted the birth of the egg was quite meh. Other than that, I think the anime is superior. The novellacks the characterization, and the character personalities are different. Chagum is actually whiney and cries in the book more often, while Balsa is less stoic and more expressive... Kamiyama Kenji did a wonderful job making the anime adaptation imo, and I liked Touya and Saya (anime original characters - the city episodes were pretty much original :P).

As for Chagum's encounter with Balsa, that was true to the book. The reason he refused Balsa's offer was because he felt like that phase of his life, tied to his fate of being the Guardian, was over. He had to return to his old life now and say farewell to Balsa.

I've also read the second book, and I'm really hoping for an adaptation. There's no Chagum, but it focuses on Balsa's home country and I thought it was better executed than the first book. We can always hope, right? I'd love a revival of the novel series.
MirorinJan 23, 2016 10:27 PM
Sep 18, 2012 8:21 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Really enjoyed this anime. The story was well put together and avoided a happy ever after ending. Balsa and Chagum are really well developed characters and the music was good too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.