Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 11, 2009 11:29 PM
May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was certainly heart wrenching
Jan 15, 2009 8:20 AM

Aug 2008
Albert really is an idiot but i suppose being in denial isn't TOO surprising nor having such complete faith in someone you just met and rejecting all of your life long friends opinions.

and really, he should try harder to talk with Euphie, wouldn't be that hard to get Franz to act as a gobetween so they can speak privately. instead he gives up and runs away. really now, i find it hard to feel sorry for him when he won't even try to help himself
Jan 21, 2009 10:08 PM

May 2008
the anime is getting good but also alberts stupidity. Kinda pisses me of when i see him being a retard
Jan 27, 2009 3:53 PM

Mar 2008
I dont think albert is stupid, he just follows his heart. It's something he's done the entire anime and it's also what this anime is mostly about.
Apr 8, 2009 6:51 AM

Jan 2009
Pewdie said:
I dont think albert is stupid, he just follows his heart.

This. He is just too naive, it seems that will change on the next episodes or thats it what it seems. The CGI scenes were awesomes.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 31, 2009 4:45 PM

Jan 2008
Albert isnt such a character as he is a gigantic 'wanker' hand motion by the writers to the viewers who have put up with this shit for 16 episodes. And now I'm getting more and more worried it'll be for 24 episodes, thus ruining hours and hours of my life.

Pewdie said:
I dont think albert is stupid, he just follows his heart. It's something he's done the entire anime and it's also what this anime is mostly about.

Yeah, in other words: stupid.

Every single action he's made since the start of the story has been stupid. Even now, at this point in the story and his life, he's barging headfirst through paparazzi and not believing solid evidence about his father thrown in his face, I mean there's a difference between denial and fucking boneheaded retardation. The writers have pretty much ensured I dont give a flying fuck about Albert or his fate anymore.

Unless they somehow pull this shit together in the last few episodes and make the past 16 episodes actually resonate in his character making him develop for the first time, but I somehow doubt that's gonna happen.

Show should have focused on Edmond Dantes.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 27, 2009 1:33 PM

Jul 2009
Albert is a complete idiot. Even when his mom told him the truth, he questioned her. I do hope that he changes for the better in the next episode.
Sep 28, 2009 9:27 PM

Dec 2007
So, not being able to just instantly get over learning that his entire family, life, and image of the person he most admires is a lie makes him stupid? Makes perfect sense...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2009 3:30 PM

Jul 2008
Beatnik said:
This is what the book does.

So Franz has pieced the entire thing together while Albert continuously ignores all the facts thrown in his face. Wonderful.

BEGINNER
Mar 21, 2010 12:21 AM

Feb 2010
Ketuekigami said:
So, not being able to just instantly get over learning that his entire family, life, and image of the person he most admires is a lie makes him stupid? Makes perfect sense...

I agree. He may be annoyingly naive but he's been through a lot, and pampered all his life based on his "status." Now that has been taken from him.

"The Count of Monte Cristo" is one of my fave novels ever, and Edmond Dontes' is one of my fave characters--- excited to approach the finale.
Apr 5, 2010 11:29 PM

Nov 2007
Well, Albert has lost it all now =/ I have to agree that you do have to look closer at what Albert's going through, he keeps rejecting the truth because it hurts =/ I see a lot of turnaround attitudes to him though =O and wonder how Franz will save him now.
Mar 1, 2011 12:22 PM

Sep 2008
I think Franz and Maxmilien are my favourite characters, and they get so little screen time, ahah. Franz is great. He's not even that smart, it's just that he lacks Albert's naïveté and instead has a willingness to accept the truth and the way things are. I must say, Albert was really just being a brat at the end when he was screaming for Haydée over and over.

Actually, he was being like a bratty little child when he went to see his reporter friend, too. I mean, duh, the guy is a reporter - of course he's obliged to tell the truth... In this case, especially so, because he was just revealing how horrid a person an actual presidential candidate was and perhaps still is.

Anyway, this episode was extremely well done. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of this series.
Jun 3, 2011 3:12 AM
Apr 2009
Beatnik said:
Unless they somehow pull this shit together in the last few episodes and make the past 16 episodes actually resonate in his character making him develop for the first time, but I somehow doubt that's gonna happen.

honestly i've been expecting the last few episodes to truly capture his character development although i do see where you're coming from about his character. at this point in the series it's not that big of a drawback but his static character will set back the entire show if it ends on that note.
Sep 13, 2011 5:01 PM

Jun 2007
Beatnik said:

You're asking for the impossible. The whole point of Albert becoming the main character in Gankutsuou was to avoid spending a lengthy period covering the first 300 pages; before Albert had even gotten a mention. And, Albert's stupidity aside, Gonzo did an utterly fantastic job of changing the story from one where all the cards were laid on the table to a mystery-thriller.

If Gonzo had attempted to faithfully adapt the novel, not even 50 episodes would have been enough - we'd have to be typing closer to 100. And the budget? No more wonderfully unique CG effects, methinks.

In short: just read the novel if you want the story from the perspective of Edmond. Truly, it's worth every minute. Albert even comes across as fairly intelligent!

---------

Episode 16, along with the end of the previous episode, is the point of the series where all of steady build-up paid off; tenfold. Albert's psychological collapse as he learned the truth of how foolish he had been and how his life had been built upon lies affected me; even though Albert's low IQ is an annoyance throughout the show.

The ending was as epic as can be; even when re-watching. It teasing viewers over the upcoming confrontation where, for the first time, Edmond would show his true self to Albert left me excited... AGAIN.
Oct 23, 2011 1:57 AM
Aug 2010
AironicallyHuman said:

If Gonzo had attempted to faithfully adapt the novel, not even 50 episodes would have been enough - we'd have to be typing closer to 100. And the budget? No more wonderfully unique CG effects, methinks.

CG is CHEAP. (And HORRIBLE by the way.) If they made a 100-episode long series they wouldve put CG everywhere, you would be happy.

Nov 14, 2011 3:38 PM

Oct 2010
Albert actually loved the Count, i didn't realize that o.O
Sep 12, 2012 10:19 PM

Nov 2011
I swear, this series has some of the best soundtracks especially towards the end there. Speaking of ending, that's one hell of a confrontation.
Dec 3, 2012 4:52 PM

Apr 2010
Ketuekigami said:

that's the whole situation though, right?

WHY does he dismiss the truth from both his close friends and mother? WHY does he admire the count to the point of worshiping his very existence?

he gets wind of factual evidence about his parents past and instead of confronting his father, the root of all this chaos, he goes after/blames the ones speaking the truth... almost as if Albert feels he's being attacked, because the world obviously revolves around him. he throws his tantrums when he doesn't get his way, getting upset at those near him or those not at fault.

the show is littered with many things similar to these instances and his actions speak for themselves. sorry but, "naive" doesn't quite cut it.
Dec 14, 2012 11:18 AM

May 2012
Damn quite fucked up episode, Albert must really be at his limit! So the count's plan has finally reached it's top speed! And well the only thing I can figure out as for now is that the Count is Edmond Dantes and came back for revenge on everyone!
Dec 30, 2012 3:22 PM
Oct 2012
EDMOND DANTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 1, 2013 12:41 PM
Aug 2011
So the count is Albert's real father? It seemed so in the picture of Edmond Dantes.
Sep 16, 2013 10:15 PM

Dec 2012
Damn everything is falling apart for Albert, betrayed and deceived by everyone around him. I wonder what The Count will say in response to him. It looks like nearly all of the pieces are coming together behind Edmond Dantes and the connection between all of those men.
Nov 4, 2013 10:39 AM

Mar 2012
Really intense episode :D
Stark700 said:
I swear, this series has some of the best soundtracks especially towards the end there. Speaking of ending, that's one hell of a confrontation.

Yea it has a fantastic soundtrack.
Dec 24, 2013 5:23 PM
Sep 2012
Poor Albert is becoming increasingly distructive
Mar 20, 2014 8:37 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Albert's whole world just came crashing down.

This episode is amazing... building the intensity for what is yet to come.
Apr 1, 2014 10:39 PM

Jan 2013
Poor Albert.
Still in denial. Feel for him though. He's being betrayed by everyone out there.
4.5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 28, 2014 4:19 AM

Aug 2012
*something dramatic happens* *GUITAR MUSIC*
Aug 30, 2014 11:41 PM

Nov 2013
I really like Peepo more than I should...

Aug 13, 2015 7:29 AM

Jan 2014
I still don't get the hate Albert gets, but oh well.
I love him. His development. And I want to hug him every now and then.
I see a bohemian in him. A lost soul.
And the scene at the end was so beautiful. Wows :')
heliodor said:
Maybe Edmond is the Count, who knows.
Maybe? I thought it was kind of obvious... Or not?
Aug 27, 2015 7:10 PM

Oct 2013
I feel for Albert; his entire world has just collapsed on him, and at his lowest point, he's forced to confront the fact the Count--the single pillar he's placed all his security upon--has been using him. However I examine this, Albert is an interesting character. Don't get the hate for him either.

That said, although this is building up nicely, I'm a tad underwhelmed if this was meant to be the climax of all the build up thus far. Fortunately, with Albert about to confront the Count, Franz having pieced together what the Count's motivations are, and eight episodes left to go, I feel this can only get even more intense.

I'm still kind of confused why the whole "Fernand Mondego" situation escalated the way it did. I'm not quite certain I fully understand the complications of what he did. The military, I presume under Mondego's orders, betrayed Janina; I get that much. But why, exactly, is that such a corrupt action and how did it get Mondego wealthy? Especially wealthy enough to falsify aristocratic documents. I feel like I'm missing something, but I rewatched a few of the scenes surrounding this incident and still didn't understand.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 25, 2015 8:56 AM

Jul 2013
Poor Albert, he just found out his whole life is basically a lie and his family were commoners and not nobility as they just bought the title.

I don't know why he didn't believe his own mother when she said the truth to him though.

Franz worked it all out himself because he's a clever boy lol.

Mondego sold them as slaves, that's pretty bad so that's why it escalated.

I can't wait to see the confrontation between Albert and the Count.
Oct 7, 2015 2:20 AM

Apr 2014
Poor Albert. His life as he knows it is ruined. It's a good thing Albert now knows the truth, though. He can start anew.

He sure is good at being in denial. >.<

Aw Peppo. :( It was so obvious I didn't see it at first, but it's a shame she was working for the count. I liked her.

Maybe the young people can all live better lives on their own terms after the fraudulent aristocrats are taken down. Eugenie especially. She is being treated like a pawn, not a person.

Franz is such an incredible friend, even with Albert yelling at him and refusing to listen and rejecting him. Hopefully Albert will see where his true friends are now.
DawningFogOct 7, 2015 2:33 AM
Oct 29, 2015 1:55 AM
May 2012
Goosebumps all over.
Jan 13, 2016 7:11 PM

Jan 2013
Finally everything has come crashing down on Albert's head.
Another great ending cliffhanger.
Jun 11, 2016 11:34 AM

Feb 2016
Sad to see how much faith albert puts in his belief towards his father who actually is a traitor. On the other hand there is franz who looks like h's found out everything about the connection of those aristocrats as well as gankutsuo. The cliffhanger towards the end makes me wanna continue watching immediately.
Jan 7, 2017 6:02 PM

Aug 2014
The peak of the story is taking place, Albert is cool but he has some pretty dumb moments.
Feb 21, 2017 4:09 AM

Mar 2015
Albert's staunch denial of the truth that is slapping him in the face, makes me want to slap him in the face
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 28, 2017 12:30 AM

Oct 2012
All hell is loose now
Albert what'll you do, I'll look forward for it
"Signature removed"
May 8, 2017 9:59 AM
Feb 2017
I don't understand why people have so much hate for Albert. Is he naive? Yes. Does he act stupid by making the wrong decisions? Yes. Can you blame him given that he has been living a lie HIS ENTIRE LIFE with nobody to tell him otherwise? No.

Imagine that you are in the same situation and somebody like the Count, who knows anything and everything, comes into your life, helps you out with any problems or negative occurrences that seem to be happening, and then all of a sudden the people who you call "your friends and family" are detesting this wise person so much. It's not surprising to be in denial and lash out at them for this, since the Count-like person has been the only guy helping you out and giving you advice that SEEMS to be working.
Aug 5, 2017 4:28 AM

Feb 2013
Stupid Albert hates Haydee now?
He should be punching his own father now, not pursuing Haydee because she was the victim here, not him.
Aug 5, 2017 11:23 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Ulquiorra said:
He should be punching his own father now, not pursuing Haydee because she was the victim here, not him.

Would you be so quick as to turn against your father and support the other side after everything fell apart around you? He didn't even get a chance to speak to his father and get the truth from him. Even Haydee didn't feel it was right to publically humiliate the entire Morcef family. Maybe they could have done it some other way.

Aug 6, 2017 2:33 AM

Feb 2013
MistyBlue said:
Ulquiorra said:

Would you be so quick as to turn against your father and support the other side after everything fell apart around you? He didn't even get a chance to speak to his father and get the truth from him. Even Haydee didn't feel it was right to publically humiliate the entire Morcef family. Maybe they could have done it some other way.

Yes.
His father was the one who started everything, he is responsible for everything.
If you ask me, his father doesn't even deserve to even be alive, he sold poor Haydee, he ruined her entire life, she is too good to even think about Albert's future.
Aug 6, 2017 3:03 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Ulquiorra said:

Yes.
His father was the one who started everything, he is responsible for everything.
If you ask me, his father doesn't even deserve to even be alive, he sold poor Haydee, he ruined her entire life, she is too good to even think about Albert's future.

Yea I would have totally alienated my whole family that I've known my whole life after knowing that the Count used Haydee, a woman I just met, to sabotage my family.
Jan 12, 2018 10:58 AM

Jan 2017
Damn the twist got me, poor Albert
Jan 26, 2018 2:19 PM

Nov 2016
Ah, poor Albert,the truth hurts.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 2018 10:05 AM

Jul 2017
Oh god why is Albert so naive?
Feb 5, 2019 4:42 AM

May 2016
The revelation of Mondego's big scandal regarding the true nature of the events that transpired at Janina had rocked Paris to its core. The immense reputation of the Morcerf came crumbling down as the citizens of Paris gather around their known locations to ridicule them and call them out for treason. Even Mercedes came out and admitted that she's partly responsible for the fraudulent implications that they were of noble birth and that's a really big no-no. Poor Albert couldn't accept the fact that everything in his life was a big lie, ouch.

He wanted to confront Haidee for what she did but I don't think that he had to do so. It wasn't her fault that his father was actually responsible for what happened and the truth had to come out sooner or later. There was nothing he could do so he should just go run off with Euginea into Marseilles into Max's place and forget about the whole Count business.

Jul 25, 2019 8:17 PM

Jul 2008
Albert's entire identity is built on his family, once that crumbles he's a simple peasant and the son of monster. The truth is against him, so he clings onto all other possibilities available. Also, the truth that is about to ruin him came to light by the people he trusted the most outside his family.
Jun 7, 2020 12:25 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I was fine with Albert being dumb in the beginning because he was naive but now, there is no excuses all the evidence is in front of him and refuses to see it. When Albert thought that his mom didn’t have faith in his dad was kinda weird because she is apart of the lie and she lives it first hand. Poppo ending up being a spy makes sense but I didn’t predict it because I thought poppo wasn’t that big of a character. The endings in the show continue to hit with the BG music.
Oct 6, 2020 9:12 AM

May 2016
That epic sound track and rain pouring down with such intensity and Albert realizing how the count played him all this time, I can go on talking about this episode for few pages but leave it here to enjoy the next one. 10/10 for the episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.