Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 25, 2013 8:24 PM

Oct 2012
Some people have been asking some good questions about why they would even make
Aku no Hana if there was no hope of it making money. I find the economics of anime
interesting. After all, we can only watch the anime that get made. Commercial anime
series are only made when some intelligent person decides that the series is likely to
make money. So it must surely be the case that careful consideration was made before
they decided to produce Aku no Hana. Let's not jump to the conclusion of whether or
not Aku no Hana is a success from a business point of view. I don't know whether
anime companies release such information or whether it would be factual in any case.

The simplest way to know the truth is like this: Wait two years. If you see another
anime series produced that is similar to Aku no Hana then you can be pretty sure that
Aku no Hana was a success. On the other hand, if nobody seems to be following the
example of Aku no Hana then it is reasonable to guess that Aku no Hana was a flop.

Here is some detailed information about the cost of producing a typical anime episode.
Keep in mind that Aku no Hana is not typical so its cost per episode will be different.
For example, in Aku no Hana they had to hire the rotoscope actors.

Original work - 50,000 yen ($660)
Script - 200,000 yen ($2,640)
Episode Direction - 500,000 yen ($6,600)
Production - 2 million yen ($26,402)
Key Animation Supervision - 250,000 yen ($3,300)
Key Animation - 1.5 million yen ($19,801)
In-betweening - 1.1 million yen ($14,521)
Finishing - 1.2 million yen ($15,841)
Art (backgrounds) - 1.2 million yen ($15,841)
Photography - 700,000 yen ($9,240)
Sound - 1.2 million yen ($15,841)
Materials - 400,000 yen ($5,280)
Editing - 200,000 yen ($2,640)
Printing - 500,000 yen ($6,600)

The original source and some additional details are here:
http://www.crunchyroll.ca/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make
Jun 26, 2013 6:03 AM

Jul 2011
I wonder how it'll end.
講廢話,被撞到.
Jun 26, 2013 5:45 PM

Mar 2009
I'd have liked this to end at
but the last episode would have to have much faster pacing for that to happen.

I doubt there will be a second season, but I do really hope there is.
Jun 27, 2013 12:31 AM

Apr 2009
Takao goes full Stockholm Syndrome patient. By all means, he's already free from Sawa's hold on his life, but he won't have any of it. In his head, he's still chained to her - by his own free will, stronger than ever.

Still proceeding as slowly as ever, huh. With only one episode left, I now believe this won't reach that natural stopping point in the manga I've been thinking of - the end of the first major arc. So much for spending all that time on slow, largely pointless walks and showing off backgrounds.

tl;dr: There's more insanity to come, but we'll never reach it here now.
Jun 27, 2013 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
If there won't anymore seasons after this, then I'm going to have a hard time getting used to the manga designs!

Sorry Retroscope haters who still hate the technique yet watched the show till the end, but I got so used to the "anime" designs that the manga designs from what I saw do not seem natural to me.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Jun 27, 2013 8:10 PM

Dec 2012
SHINOBI-03 said:
If there won't anymore seasons after this, then I'm going to have a hard time getting used to the manga designs!

Sorry Retroscope haters who still hate the technique yet watched the show till the end, but I got so used to the "anime" designs that the manga designs from what I saw do not seem natural to me.
Same and I read the manga first.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 28, 2013 9:55 AM

May 2009
Marko3 said:
another great episode...

...running scene was awesome...

... them Yamada and Kojima guys always make me laugh, they're epic... =D

... I bet Nakamura's room is all nice and clean, all pink and cute..with picture of her mum on a desk... <----- that kind of room would be most bizzare
-----------------------------------------------

anyways, it seems that ppl enjoying this show must be a bit older ones.... the ones Life was tough on them, the ones who understand Life sucks and is no joke, yet it's beautiful... have already sorted out certain things in their minds.... younger ones seem to rate this show badly, actually they don't watch it, cause they don't understand it (maybe they have happy carefree life..)

So, how old r u?
I'm 32...

and I've watched guys screw up their lives over girls just like Takao. . .so many times.
(not to mention the number of sadistic manipulative girls like Nakamura I have known. . yeesh)

I'm a little bummed there's only one more episode, because there is a little while to go before the best part happens.
kmfcmJun 28, 2013 10:01 AM
Jun 28, 2013 10:02 AM

Jul 2012
MoeGalacticHero said:
SHINOBI-03 said:

Same and I read the manga first.

Same goes to me
Jun 28, 2013 10:14 AM

May 2009
another thing about why younger people might not dig this show, it's way too real (same reason everyone hates Shinji on Eva, he's too much like a real person).

I read the manga first too, and was a little disappointed with the animation style at first. . .but then I got the fuck over it and enjoyed the show very much.
Jun 28, 2013 12:27 PM

Oct 2012
It is a very good point. Aku no Hana is very, very realistic. Perhaps it is more
realistic than any other anime series. I enjoy the realism since it was many
years ago that I was in junior high school.

For younger people, I could imagine that there is not so much appeal.

When I was in junior high school, I do not recall watching realistic dramatic
TV series about junior high school students. Is anybody here a fan of The
Wonder Years? Boy Meets World? Degrassi? Archie comics?

Old people who want to accurately remember their junior high school life
might be a pretty small target demographic.
Jun 28, 2013 7:30 PM

Aug 2009
LCSeixas said:
Well, thanks to ZEXCS, people that never read the manga won't understand Saeki's OP at all.

What does this mean? I already started the manga, so spoilers are fine

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 29, 2013 1:43 PM

May 2013

I'm too lazy to look and see if someone posted this already, but bravo Oshimi Shuuzou. Never before have I felt so many differing opinions on a piece of art inside myself. I love parts of the anime, I hate parts of it. But I've eagerly looked forward to each week's episode. And I'm sad that is has to end so soon. It's been a strange, disturbing, but overall fun ride. I believe I've actually been moved enough to make my first review once I see episode 13.
Jun 30, 2013 3:40 PM

Sep 2012
intresting
Jul 14, 2013 1:02 AM

Nov 2010
WHAT'S IN THE ROOM? OPEN IT FASTER..
Jul 19, 2013 12:10 PM

Mar 2013
hgeronimo said:
WHAT'S IN THE ROOM? OPEN IT FASTER..
Jul 29, 2013 6:05 PM

May 2012
Very interesting development going on here, I really wonder what the last episode will hold!
Aug 20, 2013 4:08 PM

Jul 2009
Wow I REALLY liked this episode for some reason ... O_O I guess it was kind of "peaceful"? Felt very real too, especially the latter part with him visiting Nakamura's house. So her parents are divorced ... IDK, I kinda feel bad for her dad too D:
So he wrote a "confession" for her but she just ignored him ... not completely surprised. Anyway, I totally expected her to come back and find him going into his room as he stood in the hallway ... ah, but I wonder what it's going to be like? It'll either be completely normal or completely crazy I bet ... haha :P Especially considering what she wrote on her door XD
Sep 26, 2013 12:31 AM

Feb 2010
Pretty meh episode compared to the last couple, but it's leading us up to the "room reveal."

I wonder, what's going to be in that room?? Hmmm.
Oct 22, 2013 10:48 AM

Apr 2012
>"Hairuna kusomushi" on the door
10/10

And yeah, overall the end cards have been pretty funny, like the ones about reusing the end card, or about his hair flowing.
Jan 14, 2014 6:07 PM

Apr 2012
wheresthehandle said:
Lol that fucking ED theme scared the crap out of me

M2

And ugh, I love this show but I really hate Nakamura. I can't bring myself to sympathise with or like her at all.
Feb 22, 2014 7:27 AM

Oct 2013
This anime is better than I thought it would be. (considering the score it has on MAL)
Apr 10, 2014 1:43 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The previous episode, never ended, this instead flew in a flash.
Atmosphere is always full of anxiety and discomfort, in the most classic final, the characters are curious to cross the borders of no return ... watch out!
Something is wrong, his father and grandmother are so friendly and personable, the room that you want to see Sawa is an ordinary room as befits all teenagers?
It is if Takao, Nakamura gets caught while coming from his room? I'm dying of curiosity! * _ *
Drawings and animations good, what I like the series as well as the OST are the scenarios.
Apr 17, 2014 5:38 PM

Sep 2011
8/10. I will read the manga.
Apr 22, 2014 2:16 AM

Mar 2012
Her dad's actually pretty nice, guessing Nakamura was affected by her parents divorce though.
Aug 6, 2014 7:25 AM

Feb 2013
I was expecting Nakamura's dad to be abusive and aggressive but he seems nice.
It seems that Nakamura didn't grow up to be like that because of an abusive household. Hmm..I wonder where she got that from or maybe she's born like that.

He's doing the same thing again as he did with Saeki's gym clothes. He doesn't learn. lool
The ED was timed perfectly with the scene. It scared the shit me out of me.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Nov 6, 2014 10:53 AM
Jul 2012
This is about the best thing I have ever seen. I hope he steals Nakamura's gym clothes. Surely that will win her heart! Or provoke her to actually kill him. One or the other. 10/10, Nakamura is Best Girl, without a shadow of doubt.

Seriously--the LOOK she gives him when he accosts her and starts reading the essay. "You are a piece of shit for writing that. I am a piece of shit, too, because I want to hear it, though I would never admit it even on pain of death. Absolutely none of this will be visible on my face." And then her full-out running, and him full-out chasing her... Absolutely hilariously, cringefully wonderful.
Feb 24, 2015 5:02 PM

Aug 2014
Another intense episode. I wonder what will happen next. It will be exciting to see how they pull off an ending for a crazy anime like this.
Mar 16, 2015 2:28 PM
Jul 2014
I suppose Nakamura's room is gonna be quite ordinary... Maybe I'm mistaken? Anyway, one episode to go, I think the show is gonna leave me wanting more more and more. Top five on my MAL....
Mar 12, 2016 11:52 PM

Dec 2014
Fintan said:
I'm so curious as to how they will end this. I'm tempted to read ahead in the manga(I do plan on reading the manga after the show finishes) to find out how they will end it. This really needed 24 episodes, hell maybe we might get a second season. Sometimes even if an anime doesn't do well if it increases sales of the manga significantly it can get green lit.

Overall I've really enjoyed this series, I will probably give it an 8/10. It had its issues, but I really liked it. Most of the stuff people complain about I actually think the opposite. Can't wait to get into the manga after it is finished, although I honestly think it might lose a bit of the impact the anime has. I know obviously a lot disagree, but the art style and pacing really just does an amazing job at setting a realistic tone and mood.

I agree with you and I think it helps that I haven't read the manga either. I see this just for what it is. I think the whole thing is well done. If I read the manga first maybe I'd feel different but I've never had anything against rotoscoping, its just another pallet to work with. I'm glad I didn't let the bad reviews keep me watching it,
Jul 18, 2016 6:47 AM

Jan 2013
Feels so good to hear the VA of Ginko from Mushishi

jakov said:
I suppose Nakamura's room is gonna be quite ordinary... Maybe I'm mistaken? Anyway, one episode to go, I think the show is gonna leave me wanting more more and more. Top five on my MAL....

Honestly, it can be ordinary ... but it can also be one of the weirdest rooms we've ever seen, fact that they didn't show it at the end makes me wonder and really excited :D
Oct 2, 2017 10:00 PM

Jul 2016
Mormegil said:
This is the biggest cliffhanger of the season. I'm curious to see what her room looks like.

All of pink unicorns and a rainbow themed bed would be my guess.
Mar 24, 2018 6:05 PM

May 2010
Didn't expect Nakamura's family members to be this....polite. And normal. Unless this is some kind of facade, I'm having more and more mixed feelings about her - why and when did she become this difficult?
Also, yet again I got jump-scared by the ending song lol.

Can't believe the next episode is the last one :<
Mar 1, 2019 11:57 AM
Apr 2016
Seems like the fire is out of fuel. Quiet episode. Nakamura's daddy was there, divorced man... Kasuga tried to make up with Nakamura.
May 29, 2021 6:09 PM

Jan 2020
Nakamura's parents looks surprisingly normal...

Entering the biggest deviant room in the town...
Feb 1, 2022 9:49 AM
Nov 2020
I kinda like Nakamura tbh
Oct 25, 2022 6:18 PM

Oct 2013
Kasuga has dived into Stockholm syndrome even further.

Nakamura's dad and grandma were okay and nice to Kasuga. Too bad their daughter is a delinquent.

I wonder how Nakamura's room is gonna look like.
AdnashOct 25, 2022 6:23 PM
Apr 13, 3:42 PM
Mar 2019
Why not just stay off School for now.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

saka - May 27, 2013

154 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.