Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (25) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 21, 2013 4:41 AM

Apr 2011
Orsonius said:
Nidstang said:
I never realized how many there were that hated Arkada. How amusing.

I never hated him, I just find him unpleasant, his reviews are never really critical, he seems to be happy with everything. And his jokes are vicariously embarrassing.

Also he wears clothing like he is cosplaying on some anime convention, which makes him look like a douche.

I fully agree with you. I don't like it when they entitle themselves as "Anime critics" either. And who cares about the fucking dub?! That's not a factor that decides if the show is good or bad.
Jun 21, 2013 4:46 AM

Jul 2012
Mem521 said:
Orsonius said:
about how anime is cheaper comparatively, but it is still very very expensive all together. Paying $35 for 12 episodes isn't cheap at all (even though for the amount of entertainment you get for your money is good), by the time you buy a whole series you're paying over $100. How many series and how many movies are you going to pay over $100 for? It’s a wealthy guy with lots of wall scrolls and extra cash that can spend it on all that stuff.

Don't forget he has no other hobby but anime apparently.

I for example spend all my hard earned money on Music equipment, like Cabs, Amps and Guitars. Those are fucking expensive.
I also buy a lot of other things I either do as a hobby or need that have no free alternative.

If I'd spend it all on anime, I basically would have to give up on everything else.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jun 21, 2013 4:49 AM

Jul 2012
Nidstang said:
And who cares about the fucking dub?! That's not a factor that decides if the show is good or bad.

Oh man you have no idea how much I hate that.
Maybe the only thing I really hate about him.
Why is he so obsessed with dubs.

First of: Not everyone is american or native english speaker.
These people don't give a shit about the american dub, they don't care about the voiceactors or how well it sounds.

American VA < Japanese.
Because it's fucking japanese in the first place. Watching shows dubbed is retarded, in any medium. Not only does meaning get lost, the actors also convey emotions with their original voices.

Mostly american dubs for anime sound really awkward because 'murricah! Everyone sounds so damn off.

Argh.
Jun 21, 2013 4:50 AM

Apr 2011
Orsonius said:
Nidstang said:
And who cares about the fucking dub?! That's not a factor that decides if the show is good or bad.

Oh man you have no idea how much I hate that.
Maybe the only thing I really hate about him.
Why is he so obsessed with dubs.

First of: Not everyone is american or native english speaker.
These people don't give a shit about the american dub, they don't care about the voiceactors or how well it sounds.

American VA < Japanese.
Because it's fucking japanese in the first place. Watching shows dubbed is retarded, in any medium. Not only does meaning get lost, the actors also convey emotions with their original voices.

Mostly american dubs for anime sound really awkward because 'murricah! Everyone sounds so damn off.

Argh.

So true. If there is anything I ever feel like ranting about, it's that.
Jun 21, 2013 4:59 AM

Oct 2012
I don't think streaming/DL'ing all the time is all that good but if you accidentally buy something shit then that's going to be your problem as well.
I'll watch it on CR if it's there. I'll DL if that's the only option. Funi blocks almost everything from Australia and I was only able to get through Baccano, MushiShi and Baka to Test at the moment, so no choice.

Anime can be expensive and cheap though, that's 1 point I agree with. Although it can be hard to locate. If it wasn't for my dad having some random meeting I'd still buy Bakemonogatari CDs for $50 for 5 fucking episodes. Finding the new Asian Media store allows me to buy the whole collection for just a 25, subbed in multiple languages.

But then again I can't drive an hour and a half to get that.

Despite being popular, Anime licensed in Aus are usually expensive.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jun 21, 2013 5:19 AM

Mar 2012
mitch3315 said:
Tell him to get back to me when:

1. Crunchyroll stream all airing series
2. When Crunchyroll stop region locking content
He mentioned at the start that it was mostly aimed at people living in the US so he doesn't touch upon that subject.

Anyway bottom line, downloading and illegal streaming isn't the problem. It's the fact that people aren't buying anime as a result. It's very much possible to download and buy anime. It's just that a lot people take the easy way out because they think their dollar won't make a difference. But when you consider there's about million other people who think the exact same way as you, there's definitely some amount of money that the creators are entitled to but won't be getting.

People say that we don't make a difference but it's been proven time and time again that we do. Just look at Watamote. Or Trigun. Or The Big O. Of course there are definitely circumstances where buying anime is not an option. But judging by the responses, I'd say a large majority of you do not fall into that category.

As for where I stand, I download a majority of my anime (You tell me how to buy Heartcatch Precure and I'll be right on board) but I still actively buy anime when I'm not spending money on other things. I also have a CR membership and watch anime on there every now and then

However, I find illegal streaming to be the absolute worst option of watching anime. Not only does it not support the creators but it looks fucking horrible. Crunchyroll is fine because of the higher quality video and HD but I can't fathom why anyone would want to stream anime like that. If you aren't intending on supporting the work of the creators, you could at least download a high quality version of it so you can appreciate the work they put into it.
Jun 21, 2013 5:21 AM

Nov 2012
Inlegal downloading bost anime and other media sales.

It was already touched in a UE raprot, so what's to argue about?
Jun 21, 2013 5:24 AM

Aug 2012
Those "legal alternatives" not only lack series, but also upload episodes about 1-3weeks after the illegal ones.
+subs>dubs
and from what I've seen, legal streams support dubs over subs.. so.. it just gets even harder....
not to mention unless you illegally take advantage of their free trial offers, I don't recall hulu and crunchyroll being "free"
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jun 21, 2013 5:31 AM

Aug 2010
Mem521 said:
He also talks about how anime is cheaper comparatively, but it is still very very expensive all together. Paying $35 for 12 episodes isn't cheap at all (even though for the amount of entertainment you get for your money is good), by the time you buy a whole series you're paying over $100. How many series and how many movies are you going to pay over $100 for? It’s a wealthy guy with lots of wall scrolls and extra cash that can spend it on all that stuff.

Just curious, how much would you sell 12 episodes for? Plus I doubt what he meant was that you had to buy every single anime you want to watch.
Jun 21, 2013 5:36 AM

Jul 2012
SaberRitsu said:

Anyway bottom line, downloading and illegal streaming isn't the problem. It's the fact that people aren't buying anime as a result. It's very much possible to download and buy anime. It's just that a lot people take the easy way out because they think their dollar won't make a difference. But when you consider there's about million other people who think the exact same way as you, there's definitely some amount of money that the creators are entitled to but won't be getting.

I don't think that is the case.
People who don't buy anime, don't buy anime.
If they couldn't watch it, they just wouldn't watch it.
I'm not convinced that the free availability of anime is reducing sales.

I also don't think that european/american sales are relevant to the japanese producers. Those come after it already aired, and made to a bluray.
The creators have to target their own audience first, anime is not hollywood. Movies and shows are not made for a world wide audience.
Just look how much highschool anime comes out that panders to japanese otaku. Americans and so on are not their target.

SaberRitsu said:

People say that we don't make a difference but it's been proven time and time again that we do. Just look at Watamote. Or Trigun. Or The Big O. Of course there are definitely circumstances where buying anime is not an option. But judging by the responses, I'd say a large majority of you do not fall into that category.

People who are willing to buy, buy. They make a difference. The rest doesn't.
People who are not willing to buy, don't buy.
I wouldn't watch anime if I wasn't able to watch it on anime stream sites some years ago.
The only way anime was exposed to me was through television at first. I didn't pay for it there either.

SaberRitsu said:

As for where I stand, I download a majority of my anime (You tell me how to buy Heartcatch Precure and I'll be right on board) but I still actively buy anime when I'm not spending money on other things. I also have a CR membership and watch anime on there every now and then

I think it's good you buy it, and I encourage everyone to watch on CR and buy their anime if they can and want. But I would never condemn people for not buying it, even if I was some buyfag myself.
Helping the industry is always a good thing, but I hate it when people like Arkada do their moral crusade, incapable to see the benefits of downloading.

SaberRitsu said:

However, I find illegal streaming to be the absolute worst option of watching anime. Not only does it not support the creators but it looks fucking horrible. Crunchyroll is fine because of the higher quality video and HD but I can't fathom why anyone would want to stream anime like that. If you aren't intending on supporting the work of the creators, you could at least download a high quality version of it so you can appreciate the work they put into it.

I agree on this as well.
If you have no problem with Streaming you should at least stream as good as you can.
I personally hate streaming and it was only something I did before I knew any better. (since before anime I never torrented anything)

I personally want to be able to buy things at some point, because I like supporting things I like (like games or music). But there is a lot of things I have to take care of first.

As soon as I build up my no life otaku room though I will buy all that shit.
Jun 21, 2013 6:35 AM

Mar 2013
I'm going to be the first, it would seem, to put my hand up and say I find Arkada entertaining. I'm not going to say I "like" him, because I don't know enough about him to make that judgement. But I do appreciate what he does for the anime community. Having said that, I do think his video on pirating and downloading was rather presumptious. There are countless personal reasons people have for not always opting to pay for the anime they watch. We all lead different lives, and it's not uncommon for downloading to literally be the only way someone can get ahold of the show they want. It's one thing to encourage people to support the industry, but preaching to people who don't is counterproductive to his cause.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jun 21, 2013 6:53 AM

Nov 2011

4) Anime is not expensive, buying things is possible

pfffft haha, Tell that to the Yuyushiki BD's that cost 328 dollars/249 euro's. I also don't think anybody would buy something that expansive without having seen the series first.
The prices are so high because they are aimed at the fans of the series, not people who have never seen it.

249 euro's is close to 40%~ of my monthly income.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jun 21, 2013 6:57 AM

Sep 2012
If you buy it on Amazon Instant Video it can be really cheap, depending on the show and the number of episodes. But when it's something that's not licensed and not on Crunchyroll, you're out of luck.
Jun 21, 2013 6:58 AM

Jan 2013
I find streaming alright (like animefreak.tv), if once in awhile the user supports an industry by buying the anime (obviously ones they really like) but I am not too much of a fan of downloading anime.

And also, before you guys start replying to when he said anime isnt cheap, about "WELL THIS SERIES IS OVER $100 FOR 28 EPISODES." He clearly stated for a few minutes it is cheap as a whole, some are REALLY cheap, some arent, youd be surprised how cheap it is for us compared to Japan...
GoateeJun 21, 2013 7:02 AM
Jun 21, 2013 6:59 AM

May 2013
Jaguer91 said:
He... I've never paid for watch anime and I don't think I do.
If I have the option to watch it for free, why would I pay?
Besides most anime don't deserve a cent.

Why would you buy food in the supermarket when you can steal it? Don't use that logic because it's a complete fallacy.

I never post here and I'm not on any ''side'' of the argument (because where I live, Spain, you actually have to pay for music / films / series you download ''ilegally'' even if you don't do it and before you do so, so I'm actually paying for this, lol...)
Jun 21, 2013 7:21 AM

Feb 2013
crosby_87 said:
Mem521 said:
He also talks about how anime is cheaper comparatively, but it is still very very expensive all together. Paying $35 for 12 episodes isn't cheap at all (even though for the amount of entertainment you get for your money is good), by the time you buy a whole series you're paying over $100. How many series and how many movies are you going to pay over $100 for? It’s a wealthy guy with lots of wall scrolls and extra cash that can spend it on all that stuff.

Just curious, how much would you sell 12 episodes for? Plus I doubt what he meant was that you had to buy every single anime you want to watch.

Compared to a DVD that has a two hour movie on it, 12 episodes for that price is good (should have made myself more clear). The problem is that once you have bought all the seasons, you are looking to spending around $100 and that’s one series (possibly not including any ova's or movies). Of course he doesn't say that you have to buy every anime you want to watch, but how else are you going to watch it?

There are easy ways to watch and buy old series, but not new ones. If you or me were to add up how much it would cost to have seen all the anime we actually want to watch, we would be looking at spending way over $1000.

Again, that box set for the entertainment time is good, but we wouldn't have access to nearly as many anime if we were to buy it all.
Jun 21, 2013 7:21 AM

Mar 2013
destinyunknown said:
Jaguer91 said:

Why would you buy food in the supermarket when you can steal it? Don't use that logic because it's a complete fallacy.

Incidentally that logic implies that there is no one monitoring the supermarket.

"1) Illegal Streaming and Downloading in USA(and AUS, CA etc) is not necessary, because of legal alternatives which are also free (crunchyroll, hulu and others)"
Anime is expensive in Australia since it is essentially controlled by one distribution company, which is Madman Entertainment and we are apparently not part of a normal release system which leads to varying release times for new anime series' >.>.
So our only options to legally obtain anime is to wait for it to be distributed via Madman (which is a long ass time) or buy online which is expensive in of itself due to shipping and conversion.
There also arent many, if any, 'free' anime streaming sites that are legal and accessible in Australia. Hulu is not accessible.
So I support the idea that if it is free hen there is no reason why you shouldnt take it unless you feel it is morally unjust to do so. However i do so without compunction.
Then again this is just me.
FactionRedJun 21, 2013 7:31 AM
I like fried tofu
Jun 21, 2013 7:26 AM

Jul 2012
KAIOKEN1113 said:
I find streaming alright (like animefreak.tv), if once in awhile the user supports an industry by buying the anime (obviously ones they really like) but I am not too much of a fan of downloading anime.

Why no? It makes no logical sense to dislike it compared to watching shows on shit like animefreak (with terrible quality and taht stupid logo).

destinyunknown said:
Jaguer91 said:

I never post here and I'm not on any ''side'' of the argument (because where I live, Spain, you actually have to pay for music / films / series you download ''ilegally'' even if you don't do it and before you do so, so I'm actually paying for this, lol...)

Wow that is a fucking bad argument.

Downloading =/= Stealing.

When you steal you actually REMOVE it from the pool of availability. When you download it it's still there. You are actually copying it.

Please don't use the word logic and fallacy if you clearly neither possess logic and make fallacies yourself.

And what do you mean you have to pay for illegal downloads in spain, do you have special spain internet? Is there some special "spaintax" on torrents?

Wow please leave.
Jun 21, 2013 7:29 AM

Jul 2012
I'd watch this video if he wasn't so goddamn long-winded. seriously, really?
Jun 21, 2013 7:35 AM

Jul 2012
daintybiscuit said:
I'd watch this video if he wasn't so goddamn long-winded. seriously, really?

you don't miss out on anything, also I posted all the points he makes.
Jun 21, 2013 7:41 AM

Jan 2013
Orsonius said:
KAIOKEN1113 said:

Why no? It makes no logical sense to dislike it compared to watching shows on shit like animefreak (with terrible quality and taht stupid logo).

I just don't find it good to be downloading it to your computer if it is already available find and dandy for streaming, I dont know what streaming sites you have been on, but anime freak doesnt have a logo, the visual and audio quality isnt terrible, it looks the same, the variety of anime is HUGE both new and old, if ads are really that much for you use adblock, the buffer really depends on your internet connection and video player (all the popular series will have that good video player). Every single X on that chart is invalid except for 2, one being the future viewing which in my opinion is quite stupid, and 2, which it really didnt say but is somewhat like it, many series not have a dub attached to it. Now I read earlier you said that you prefer sub anyways, so that shouldnt matter to you.
Jun 21, 2013 7:48 AM

Apr 2013
I personally don't find anything wrong with people doing their illegal streaming and downloading. I also don't have a problem with GR making a video on why people should buy their anime.

People do what they want for different reasons. Whether it's a morality thing or something else entirely, everyone has the right to do what they want.

I believe in both the positive and the negative arguements in this conversation, illegal streaming and torrenting is both a good and bad thing for the industry, so it all ballances out and becomes neutral.

I don't believe you can persuade someone into being "completely legit" without sounding like an asshole to those who don't believe in what you're trying to say. Some people believe, others don't. Again, it comes out as neutral.

Everything is about neutrality.

Damn it feels good to be a neutral.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jun 21, 2013 7:55 AM

Jul 2012
KAIOKEN1113 said:

I just don't find it good to be downloading it to your computer if it is already available find and dandy for streaming, I dont know what streaming sites you have been on, but anime freak doesnt have a logo, the visual and audio quality isnt terrible, it looks the same, the variety of anime is HUGE both new and old, if ads are really that much for you use adblock, the buffer really depends on your internet connection and video player (all the popular series will have that good video player). Every single X on that chart is invalid except for 2, one being the future viewing which in my opinion is quite stupid, and 2, which it really didnt say but is somewhat like it, many series not have a dub attached to it. Now I read earlier you said that you prefer sub anyways, so that shouldnt matter to you.

On your pc you can watch it whenever you like, it does not require internet connection. You can put it on your tablet, even phone or laptop and watch it in the train, on vacation (without internet), or anywhere you like.

The logo is apparently not on animefreak (mistaken it with anime44)

The audio is terrible, the picture as well see here I just took some screenshots:

Future viewing is stupid?
I love future viewing, I watch either episodes or entire shows more than one time, for example with friends. I just take my laptop to their place and we watch a nice BD rip together.
Jun 21, 2013 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
I watched that video and I don't mind his argument, but there is one thing I do disagree with him strongly on.

"Illegal streaming." The plain and simple matter is crunchyroll doesn't stream everything so "illegal streaming is really one of your few options for watching that show. On top of that, it isn't "hurting" the industry if you do plan on purchasing the DVDs or Blu-Rays later. Honestly, illegal streaming in my opinion can work just as well for promoting anime.
Jun 21, 2013 8:04 AM

Jul 2012
destinyunknown said:
Orsonius said:

And what do you mean you have to pay for illegal downloads in spain, do you have special spain internet? Is there some special "spaintax" on torrents?

Wow please leave.

When you buy any sort of media player (be it a computer, an Ipod, an mp3, a TV and even a computer monitor) you're forced to pay a ''special tax'' which was enforced to ''prevent piracy''. The logic behind that tax is, supposedly ''we know you're going to download stuff ilegally so we're going to make you pay for it'' (or I guess so).

You also have to pay that tax if you buy a music album, a film dvd or whatever because the government assumes you're going to copy it and distribute it amongst your friends.

So yeah I know what I'm talking about, lol.

And I'm not going to bother arguing about the stealing / downloading thing because I honestly don't feel like it, but it's not as paper clear as you said. Not by any means. So stop being so condescending.

Wow spain sucks hard.
I actually didn't know that, sorry to hear that.

The argument from stealing is just a dead horse used by people who don't understand the difference between Actual Piracy (stealing on water) and Internet Piracy (copying data).
So I'm just annoyed when people bring it up.
Jun 21, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
Orsonius said:
KAIOKEN1113 said:

On your pc you can watch it whenever you like, it does not require internet connection. You can put it on your tablet, even phone or laptop and watch it in the train, on vacation (without internet), or anywhere you like.

The logo is apparently not on animefreak (mistaken it with anime44)

The audio is terrible, the picture as well see here I just took some screenshots:

Future viewing is stupid?
I love future viewing, I watch either episodes or entire shows more than one time, for example with friends. I just take my laptop to their place and we watch a nice BD rip together.

Okay, with the black borders, I must say there is, but DEFINITELY not as much as that comparison shows, obviously it will have borders when it isnt a 16:9 show (meaning old), but even so, it does have just a TINY border somewhere on the video regardless of the aspect ratio. For sound, I still dont understand, because to me, it sounds fine, it isnt like I cant hear them. And finally, one point was the "skippable opening and ending, and also going back and forth requires buffer" Like I said, it depends on the video player. Once you load the page with the video, if it completely black with just a small play button in the middle of it, then yes, it is shit. But that usually is only for new unpopular series. As for popular/normal anime, once the page loads, if the option is 2UPLOADS or the Anime Freak Video Player, it barely takes any time to load the video, then immediately starts playing, and easily can skip the opening and ending (if you want an example, go to Fairy Tail episode 175 which has both good players)
Jun 21, 2013 8:13 AM

Nov 2010
i download fansubs (not dvd/br rips) every season

when i realy like a show i wait for the dvd/br box (bought madoka, clannad and some other also looking for some others wich are hard to find hehe)

also going to buy shinsekai yori and few other recent shows (every show i rewatched i owned or borrowed hehe)
Jun 21, 2013 8:16 AM

Mar 2013
The main reason I watch anime illegally:

No money

It's not me being cheap, either. I just don't have the resources. Streaming/torrenting is good because you get to watch the anime, see if you like it, then buy the anime when you have enough money. I don't know about others, but I have a rule that I can't watch an anime illegally more than once. If I want to watch it again, I buy it. Because of streaming sites, I have bought loads of anime merchandise I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't watched it illegally first.
Jun 21, 2013 8:16 AM

Jul 2012
KAIOKEN1113 said:

Okay, with the black borders, I must say there is, but DEFINITELY not as much as that comparison shows, obviously it will have borders when it isnt a 16:9 show (meaning old), but even so, it does have just a TINY border somewhere on the video regardless of the aspect ratio. For sound, I still dont understand, because to me, it sounds fine, it isnt like I cant hear them. And finally, one point was the "skippable opening and ending, and also going back and forth requires buffer" Like I said, it depends on the video player. Once you load the page with the video, if it completely black with just a small play button in the middle of it, then yes, it is shit. But that usually is only for unpopular anime. As for popular/normal anime, once the page loads, if the option is 2UPLOADS or the Anime Freak Video Player, it barely takes any time to load the video, then immediately starts playing, and easily can skip the opening and ending (if you want an example, go to Fairy Tail episode 175 which has both good players)

I just found out how old you are and forgive you.

I have a friend and his sister is as old as you are and she streams too, so I don't mind. But in a few years I hope you see the benefits in downloading it.

Concerning Sound:
Well i cannot post the sound as a picture here, I just tested it myself. listen to the sound in the downloaded version and then in the stream.
The stream is terrible. The opening sounds like a cheap youtube 240p soundrip.

The skippable thing is something you don't understand since you don't download.
The videos I download have Markers in them, indicating when the opening starts, or ending, preview and so on.
I can just click a mousebutton and skip them or go forth and back.

You also cannot use MAL updater but that's okay.

Another thing that isn't on the screenshot is my mouse cursor. It doesn't disappear. You have to put it somewhere on the boarder so it doesn't annoy you.

Consider torrenting when you have enough money to buy a good 1terabyte harddrive to store all your animu.

Also streaming is not always uncensored or BD version (which is better in quality and has mostly the uncensored stuff)
Jun 21, 2013 8:19 AM
Feb 2013
why dont he just leave us alone
Jun 21, 2013 8:23 AM
Feb 2012
This type of argument can be related to not just anime, but anything in general. But I'm going to stay on topic for now. ... honestly, compared to Japan's pricing on their DVD/Blu-ray, buying them here is technically a "steal". (rimshot) Joking aside, if you love more than one show that is currently owned by a company, it wouldn't hurt to give some support.
If you can't afford DVD/Blu-rays but have a good internet connection, spending 8 dollars a month for each official streaming provider can provide you with very good quality, and can support the industry. If you are able to afford DVD/Blu-rays (the better option), depending on the price... yeah, buy them. (and yes, I had bought some Anime on a mixture of DVD/Blu-ray, and am planning to buy more in the future, so there's my support.)
Jun 21, 2013 8:46 AM

Aug 2012
I don't know why people are so annoyed when other people stream their anime (illegally or not). I don't intend to keep subbed anime on my disk, nor do I intend to rewatch series (I never rewatch subbed series), so I'd rather save bandwidth by watching a non-HD stream. I mean, if they don't wanna download, so what?
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jun 21, 2013 9:10 AM

Jun 2012
Yeah, I don't give a fuck about what that clown Arkada has to say. He should focus more on trying to do half decent reviews instead of trying so incredibly hard to be funny than sitting around and preaching about piracy.

Edit - I've probably blown more money on my manga collection than he has on his anime collection. And when it comes to anime, I buy the anime of series I truly enjoy.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 21, 2013 9:15 AM

Feb 2013
All I got from reading this thread is:

- Users in MAL hate people who don't care a dime about their favourites and beloved anime.

- Users in MAL think it's wrong to pay for something if they can get it for free.

- Users in MAL insult each other when there's a conflict of opinions.

I'm not saying you should buy everything, however, if you can and have the mean to do so, then buy and support the industry. Prices are not always affordable, I know, but when you can, you should. If you can't, it's fine, although you shouldn't, it's understandable.

However, the fact that most people think anime should be free and wouldn't pay a single penny for it, is quite irritating. If you are convinced you should never pay at all for anything, then you are the douches.

Personally, I don't buy all the anime I watch, it would simply be impossible to cope with the costs. However, whenever possible, I tend to make use of CrunchyRoll and buy DVDs of the series I like the most.

By the way, let's not divert the main concern of this topic to "Subs vs Dubs", we had enough of these discussions. Keep your opinions for yourselves, it's an endless war between fanatics of each sides. I prefer subs, but I don't mind dubs.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jun 21, 2013 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
Who cares. I know Japan doesn't. If they did, they would make more effort to broadcast to a wider audience. Come back to me when it dosen't cost me upwards of $200 to buy a series that's been out for 5 years (Looking at you Bakemonogatari.) Until then, eat a dick, and enjoy your low quality shit and bad streams. I'll just sit back and enjoy my free BD rips.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Jun 21, 2013 9:52 AM

Sep 2012
I don't want to blame the victim here, but if it's really a problem for the industry, they're probably going to have to adapt sooner or later. To succeed they need to take advantage of new technology.
Jun 21, 2013 10:06 AM

Jul 2012
sherlock5545 said:

I'm not saying you should buy everything, however, if you can and have the mean to do so, then buy and support the industry. Prices are not always affordable, I know, but when you can, you should. If you can't, it's fine, although you shouldn't, it's understandable.

However, the fact that most people think anime should be free and wouldn't pay a single penny for it, is quite irritating. If you are convinced you should never pay at all for anything, then you are the douches.

Personally, I don't buy all the anime I watch, it would simply be impossible to cope with the costs. However, whenever possible, I tend to make use of CrunchyRoll and buy DVDs of the series I like the most.

By the way, let's not divert the main concern of this topic to "Subs vs Dubs", we had enough of these discussions. Keep your opinions for yourselves, it's an endless war between fanatics of each sides. I prefer subs, but I don't mind dubs.

It's not that it should be free. Fact is there are ways to get it free and people use those ways.
If anime wasn't free no one would protest and say "anime should be free".
If there was no way to get anime for free, there would be just not as many people watching it, and communities like MAL would probably not exist.

I also think people are free to support the industry. As I stated I would, and will at some point spend money on building up a collection. But so far I think torrents are pretty nice.

The sub vs. dub thing plays partially a reason (licencing, funimation, television broadcast) But yeah if I wanted to talk about dub vs sub I would have made a different thread.
Jun 21, 2013 10:13 AM

Oct 2012
How is this still an argument? I am past the point of discussion on this matter so let me just say this: everyone gets what they have coming to them. In this life or the next.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jun 21, 2013 10:59 AM

Jul 2008
I used to download everything, but now I pretty much just stream through hulu or crunchyroll. Yes, the quality is worse, but at the same time I like to support the companies that are localizing it - and, honestly, I think it's selfish not to if the option is available.

Yeah, my picture isn't crystal clear, and I have to wait a few days longer than the people who just dl everything to get a new episode. Oh no! I manage.

While Orsonius is right in that you're not stealing in the sense that it's taking the supply away from others like stealing food from a supermarket would, the fact remains that you're stealing from those who own the rights to it in that they aren't getting anything from your consumption of the product.
Jun 21, 2013 11:04 AM

Feb 2010
because its wrong that we don't want to spend 800$ on a dvd box?

though i only watch the streaming shows so meh

also when they start selling them for REASONABLE PRICES and/or bother to release it were i live ya i would buy them, sadly that not usually the case

also i feel like iv seen this thread about fifty times now
GrimAtramentJun 21, 2013 11:14 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 21, 2013 11:06 AM

Oct 2012
His video was more of a, "Hey! Stop messaging me and/or posting comments about illegal viewing of anime on my channel!" rant, which is cool and I can respect that.

However, this video didn't really enlighten me nor did I really gain anything informative from it; what he covered were things I was already aware of.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 21, 2013 11:25 AM

Jul 2012
NickyCharisma said:
How is this still an argument? I am past the point of discussion on this matter so let me just say this: everyone gets what they have coming to them. In this life or the next.

nah that's not really the case. especially not about the "next".

AnyaOtaku said:
I used to download everything, but now I pretty much just stream through hulu or crunchyroll. Yes, the quality is worse, but at the same time I like to support the companies that are localizing it - and, honestly, I think it's selfish not to if the option is available.

Yeah, my picture isn't crystal clear, and I have to wait a few days longer than the people who just dl everything to get a new episode. Oh no! I manage.

While Orsonius is right in that you're not stealing in the sense that it's taking the supply away from others like stealing food from a supermarket would, the fact remains that you're stealing from those who own the rights to it in that they aren't getting anything from your consumption of the product.

Hmm I understand the argument.
But I think like this.
It's not like they actually LOST a customer when I download the shows. I would just not watch anime in the first place if I couldn't get it this way.
And maybe just maybe, I am somewhat beneficial to the industry by for example promoting anime.

Whenever I do a recommendation to someone, and that someone ends up buying it, I indirectly supported the industry. If I wouldn't watch anime I couldn't recommend and potential customers might never buy the product.

I think this is true on a boarder scale as well, each member of the anime community outside of japan, is helping the industry just a little bit.

Tavor said:
His video was more of a, "Hey! Stop messaging me and/or posting comments about illegal viewing of anime on my channel!" rant, which is cool and I can respect that.

However, this video didn't really enlighten me nor did I really gain anything informative from it; what he covered were things I was already aware of.

No, if that was his intention he could have made a short videos explaining to everyone "Don't advertise, link or tell me about piracy. I don't like it and think it is wrong".

His intention was more preachy.
Jun 21, 2013 11:31 AM

Oct 2012
Orsonius said:

No, if that was his intention he could have made a short videos explaining to everyone "Don't advertise, link or tell me about piracy. I don't like it and think it is wrong".

If he made a short video like that, he'd have to respond to a stream of messages/comments about why he doesn't want that on his channel, so this video served as a wake up call as well as a way to refute future naysayers all in one.

Jun 21, 2013 11:37 AM

Jul 2012
Tavor said:
Orsonius said:

If he made a short video like that, he'd have to respond to a stream of messages/comments about why he doesn't want that on his channel, so this video served as a wake up call as well as a way to refute future naysayers all in one.

well okay if you say so. I just used his video to start this discussion. and not so much to talk about it.
Jun 21, 2013 11:42 AM

Feb 2013
I think it was both, very preachy, but a way to shut people up on his channel.

If you buy all your anime and manga then that’s great, you're helping the industry which is a good thing. What i didn't like was the fact that he was telling you that there is no reason not to buy anime.

In that video he showcased that he had spent something over $300 (let alone the outfit and scrolls). He has the means to buy all that stuff so he is extremely ignorant to suggest that other people should do the same because its 'cheap'. Even if we did buy a lot of stuff, we would still stream it online; because I don’t want to ‘buy’ every single thing I watch otherwise we all would be broke.
Jun 21, 2013 11:49 AM

Oct 2012
I'll be honest, Netflix, Crunchyroll, and other streaming services are missing quite a few anime that I've wanted to check out. Aside from buying them, the only other choice was to torrent, and I don't blind buy so you can probably guess what I chose. That being said, I firmly believe in supporting the industry when possible and I still buy the series I have downloaded if I enjoyed them. I will say the one thing that annoys me is when people take a very myopic approach to the subject and have the mentality of, "WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY FOR ANIME!? I'M NOT EVER GIVING THOSE GREEDY FAGGOTS MY MONEY, FUCK THEM!" or anything similar to those lines.

Supporting dat industry-
ShrabsterJun 22, 2013 1:08 AM

Jun 21, 2013 11:51 AM

Oct 2012
Orsonius said:

well okay if you say so. I just used his video to start this discussion. and not so much to talk about it.

I just felt this was a weak start off video for this kind of discussion since the underlying reason was intended to fend off people posting illegal links on his channel, thus why his reasoning behind this topic is not in-depth to be convincing.

If there was possibly a video explaining the repercussions of pirating/illegal streaming and how it affects the anime industry with statistics, that would of been more interesting. However, since Arkada didn't have such information present, his moral argument came across wishy washy, as you pointed out in the OP post.

The only thing in that video that was somewhat interesting for his defense was that a hobby requires money, but again, I also agree with you said about that too. Money isn't even in the definition of the word hobby.

Jun 21, 2013 11:58 AM

Feb 2012
It's not illegal to watch anime online from websites regardless of websites. The only people at fault are the people who upload (so about 99.9% of the raw providers and everyone else who uploads after).

It's also not illegal to download anime. You only get in trouble when you are sharing (uploading or seeding for torrents).

Laws regarding online piracy are very loose and full of holes.
Jun 21, 2013 12:04 PM

Feb 2013
HeavenlyUser said:
It's not illegal to watch anime online from websites regardless of websites. The only people at fault are the people who upload (so about 99.9% of the raw providers and everyone else who uploads after).

It's also not illegal to download anime. You only get in trouble when you are sharing (uploading or seeding for torrents).

Laws regarding online piracy are very loose and full of holes.

Well, in Japan they see it differently. You are liable of copyright breach when you download copyrighted materials. This applies only in their own territory, they don't care that much about what's going on outside.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jun 21, 2013 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
Downloading attack on titan for free right now.

Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Pages (25) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

20 by Poydoo »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

65 by Sorachin »»
2 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

32 by Soverign »»
3 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

40 by redorzo »»
8 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

64 by Sorachin »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.