Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 9, 2009 5:32 AM

May 2008
To be honest, I didn't find it to be the most beautiful and entertaining animation either.
A bit undetailed. And it reminded me a bit of Bible animation they used to show when I was a little kid, with the Arid Tribal feel.

Not exactly my cup of tea. But it's not bad.
Btw, the green haired mist people remind me exactly of Rydia and her village in Final Fantasy IV. It was in fact called the "Myst" village in Final Fantasy IV, and it was filled with green haired, monster summoners.

While in the show, the only difference seem to be that they're tamers more than summoners. I'd honestly be shocked if this show wasn't directly influenced by Final Fantasy IV.

In fact, the whole feel so far has reminded me a bit of Damcyan and Kaipo.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 28, 2009 3:01 PM

Aug 2008
It was a little too calm for me and I didn't love the melancholy of the mother. I thought this show would be a waste of time, but having sat through the whole episode I AM interested in seeing the next one.
Oct 5, 2009 2:23 AM

Jun 2009
Nice introduction episode, somehow slow paced and relaxing. I like it. ^^
Nov 2, 2009 7:23 AM

Oct 2008
It was an ok episode, i hope its getting beter sinds this anime is also from the same novel writer from Moribito so im looking forward to the next episode. BTW the OP is beautifull.
Aug 13, 2011 5:48 AM

Sep 2008
Not a bad first episode, although I did think the animation could've been better. There were some aspects in which is was really lacking, but... overall I liked it. At first glance, I thought it might be some kiddish anime, but there seems to be sort of "mature" atmosphere cast over the story.

I did get confused at the transitioning between the mother's speaking and the narrator's, as noteDhero pointed out. This definitely also does have the feel of a Studio Ghibli-type production - that's what it reminded me of at first.

Nevertheless, it did manage to catch my interest. I'm at least curious as to why Erin's mother seems to have some doubts about her job.

bystrouska said:
I had no idea that this was going to be such a long series and that Erin was supposed to grow so much… Sounds good to me, especially since this is a Uehashi Nahoko novel we're talking about. I'm looking forward to the character (and story) development.

I also didn't know this... Well! More to look forward to, then. It'll be nice to have a character actually grow up over the course of the series, as opposed to having them supposedly suspended in time (like characters in some other reputable series...).
May 21, 2012 6:46 PM

May 2010
Ohhh Chagum's distant relative? I mean she has green-eyes...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 24, 2012 2:55 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Quite don't know what to think of it yet, but a quite decent episode I think.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Feb 23, 2013 4:30 AM

Apr 2012
I really liked this episode: cool setting, killing monsters, this kind of simplistic yet cute art that works well with the green-toned colors to create a nice atmosphere, interesting characters... I'm enthralled.
EratiKFeb 24, 2013 11:42 AM
Feb 24, 2013 8:52 AM

Jul 2011
Watercolor plus CG... ugh, even the characters are unappealing. What gives?

Plus, that awful narration.

Disappointing. I guess my expectations were too high. :/

I'm not getting into the story at all. Sure, the story is interesting, but the execution... meh.

I sincerely hope this gets better.
Apr 10, 2013 5:53 AM

Jan 2008
Interesting episode, or rather interesting world. The episode itself was extremely slow and the narration slightly annoying.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Jun 9, 2013 11:39 PM
Aug 2011
noteDhero said:
This is a pretty bad first episode. The narrator is the same voice as the mother, causing weird transitions between narration and dialogue. The animation is pretty bad, character design is lackluster (with the exception of Erin and her mom). Backgrounds, landscape, and establishing shots were horribly rendered; looking like something from 80's American cartoons.

One thing I dislike about watching older series like these is that when I go to forums I see your posts and you never like shit.
Suffering posts are suffering.

Anyway for the episode, I liked it. It delivered pretty much the way I expected it would.

Though I can tell that this would probably be best to watch it in a slower pace and not in a marathon (which is what i'm going to try to do).
I wish this was airing weekly because that would have been perfect.

Yes the narrator throws me off a bit. They really should have gotten someone else to narrate.
Aug 6, 2013 5:02 PM

Nov 2011
Heh, I finally got around at watching this series.

The OP song is okay but I just love the style of this show so far. Dem dragon spotted with teh wicked eyes. Oh shi-
The OST is pretty decent imo. Poor Tohda. Great episode, ED song also fits well imo.
Stark700Aug 6, 2013 5:21 PM
Mar 22, 2014 5:14 AM

May 2012
Very interesting start with a really suiting atmosphere and a rather unique art style combined with a nice pace! Let's see what the story will offer us!
Jun 21, 2014 5:25 AM

Aug 2013
Good start. I can't shake the feeling something will happen to Erin's mom though. Like when the narrator said "and she treasures every moment they spend together." Death flag right there >__<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 16, 2014 7:57 PM

Jul 2012
Maybe I just didn't feel like watching this type of show at the moment but it felt kind of slow and uninteresting overall. As other people have said in this thread, it gives off a Ghibli feel which makes me feel...tired LOL

Anyway, gonna watch more tomorrow!

xchee said:
Good start. I can't shake the feeling something will happen to Erin's mom though. Like when the narrator said "and she treasures every moment they spend together." Death flag right there >__<

Yup, death flags. :'(
Aug 30, 2014 7:53 PM

Nov 2012
Been intrigued in this series for a while now and finally got to start it.

Decent first episode,nice/soothing atmosphere.

Erin's mom's deathflag seem very obvious.

It's going to be interesting see how Erin develops throughout these 50 episodes and what role she'll play in her village,(this reminds me of Shinsekai yori in a way).

Edit: Also the baby Touda looks so adorable/cute :3.
Oct 12, 2014 11:06 PM

Nov 2009
Hrmmm, a little disappointed in the lack of detail as far as the scenery goes, I'm sure it is a style choice but part of why I loved Seirei no Moribito so much was because of the detailed scenery. Anywhom, moving on, that was a pretty interesting first episode, although I really can't tell what direction this series is going to take yet . . . Although it seems to be creepily leading up to some tragedy at the moment.

Also, if the Touda can be knocked out by what looks like a dog whistle, why the heck doesn't the enemy just use them? I'm assuming by the way it looks it is a tool from the mist tribe or whatever they call themselves, meaning that it is possible for the enemy to have learned of these whistles . . . Possibly.
Pirating_NinjaOct 12, 2014 11:10 PM
Nov 7, 2014 10:15 PM

Feb 2014
Decent start, tho the narrator feels so off >.<

Besides that, this is giving me a Redwall feel....

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Nov 17, 2014 4:01 PM

Nov 2013
Lol I got spoiled by the deathflag comments, I didn't really suspect anything yet. But then again I haven't really thought about all of it much.

I liked Redwall better after only the first episode. :P
But then again I really liked Redwall.
Jan 28, 2015 12:13 PM

Jul 2010
The baby touda was adorable.
Apr 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Dec 2013
1 episode in and I can tell I am gonna love it.
The setting is just lovely and the art is good - Production I.G. serves well as usual.
Electric guitar OST is kinda in such a show but I don't mind it.
Jun 3, 2015 11:22 PM

Mar 2015
Erin reminds me of Gon at the beginning of HxH 2011. I bet they'll diverge pretty soon though lol
Jun 5, 2015 12:48 AM

Jul 2008
Very slow paced show. IDK why but I felt like I was watching Avatar for a bit there.
Aug 1, 2015 11:56 PM

Jul 2010
Sweet show. Warm.
Pleasing to watch.

Not that fond of the narrator, though. Seems to butt in at random moments. Also, the serious OST sounded like something from a game. Sorta cheesy. Still, the show's got a really simple atmosphere, and it's calming. I'll watch an episode every now and then when the mood hits me.

I do really like that there's fifty episodes. Means we'll get to see Erin mature. Oh, and that baby Tohda was like the cutest thing in the world. Seriously. Haven't heard of this show before. Just saw it randomly on CR and decided to watch an ep. Glad I did. Seems like it'll be a fantastical ride.

Just random thoughts, but OP made it seem like Erin's gonna lose her mother sometime in the future. Makes sense for character development.
Aug 10, 2015 10:17 PM

May 2013
Siing said:
Got a WMT feel going on here, and I'm liking it.

Fun fact, they're actually aiming to make a modern WMT while making this show.

Though ironically, in the same year, there's already an actual modern WMT that is Konnichiwa Anne.
Aug 17, 2015 8:12 AM
Mar 2014
Fairly creative world, but the average storytelling and explicit exposition ruins it for me. If I wanted to be bored to death by a fantasy, I'd watch Spirited Away.
vegetablespiritAug 17, 2015 8:16 AM
Aug 20, 2015 8:25 AM

May 2013
vodall said:
Fairly creative world, but the average storytelling and explicit exposition ruins it for me. If I wanted to be bored to death by a fantasy, I'd watch Spirited Away.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the prime example of shit taste.
Sep 3, 2015 8:24 AM

Nov 2013
It seems I was watching a rpg
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 28, 2016 4:39 PM

Mar 2015
DeathfireD said:

It looks like their not using computer sketches but actual drawings. Gives you that old classic anime feel. Personally, I don't mind as long as it's not fast drawn like Tetsuwan Birdy Decode.

they're*
Alright?
Mar 31, 2017 1:17 AM

May 2010
Thanks for not killing the mom right away in the 1st ep. I am tired of that damned trope. Also annoying men hating on Soyon just coz shes a woman and better than them at work. Plebs
Oct 25, 2017 11:10 AM

Mar 2012
It was an okay first episode. It's annoying how naive Erin is though. Just gonna get herself or someone else killed like what almost happened this episode.

Confucius said:
Ohhh Chagum's distant relative? I mean she has green-eyes...

I was about to say how it gave me similar vibes to Seirei no Moribito and then after looking it up I found out that both novels are made by the same author. I wonder if both stories take place in the same universe.

TragicRomance said:
Thanks for not killing the mom right away in the 1st ep. I am tired of that damned trope.

Was thinking the same thing. Usually tends to happen because their kid does something stupid so I was just waiting for that moment since the death flags were everywhere. Also surprised the villagers didn't kick them out for her daughter putting the other two kids in danger.
Aug 13, 2018 9:54 AM

Sep 2011
I really liked this first episode, Erin is a courageous and smart girl!

I was really annoyed with the sexism though, there was only a problem in the first place because a man wasn't comfortable following the instructions of a wiser woman, and in this specific case, of an "outsider", but the other men were just mad because a woman is more capable at their job than them.

I'm also a bit worried with what Soyon meant when she said that Touda are wild beasts, I mean, we saw a bit of their ferocity at a battlefield, but they were still tamed by humans, a truly wild one might be a nightmare. I'm really exicted for what this tale has in store!

The OP and the ED are also great by the way!
May 19, 2019 3:11 AM

Oct 2012
So same author as Seirei no Moribito
That's why I feel it's really similar, I hope it'll be good as Seirei no Moribito

So there's a big war and behind that there's a little beastmaster and her long journey?

First episode in and I already hate this villager

B-But the little Touda is so cute :(
I mean even a lion is tameable, Touda is possible too right? xD
"Signature removed"
Jun 20, 2019 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
Interesting enough first episode. OP was great. ED was good. The animation is different and lacks detail but this doesn't bother me too much.

I'm interested how the story and characters will progress. 50 episodes is long enough for some great things.
Feb 13, 2021 5:40 AM

Jul 2017
A couple weeks ago, I rewatched Nahoko Uehashi's anime adaptation of Moribito: The Guardian Spirit directed by Kenji Kamiyama, and absolutely fell in love with the rewatch in every little detail. The writing, the characterization of Balsa and Chagum and Tanda, the amazing choreography in its little amount of action while showcasing so much beauty with its backgrounds and attention to detail with movement, and even the soundtracks were gorgeous to listen to. It was a fantasy anime that took me to a whole new place figuratively. And given the fact that I also liked the Erin anime when I first saw it, I couldn't help myself with my curiosity and had to give this show a rewatch too for more of Nahoko Uehashi's great writing. Ironic since I'm very mixed on Ghibli as a studio since I love some works and hate others of theirs.

Anyway, the first episode for Erin was fairly solid. Not too much happened narratively but the episode did a solid job with setting up some world building already which is Nahoko Uehashi's specialty and the Touda already seem like an interesting species to be the focal point of the show. Erin's a likable protagonist who's very observant and curious about knowledge about Touda, and shares a strong, organic bond with her mother who is a beastinarian who helps raise the Touda well in the Ake village. The Touda are clearly dangerous though when not kept under some spell like how one tried to consume Erin while she found the baby Touda, so Erin does have quite some learning to do beyond the obliviousness of the true nature of those creatures she admires.
Jun 25, 2021 2:18 PM

Aug 2018
xershey said:
It’s been a while since I last watched Erin. And nothing has changed I still feel the same as I did when I first watched it.

It's one of my favorites too. I am very much looking forward to my 3rd rewatch which will probably happen soon.
Jan 11, 2022 7:37 PM

Aug 2018
Weird but interesting....

Feb 21, 2022 1:41 PM

Jan 2010
I can't quite tell where to place Kemono no Souja Erin. It seems vaguely Germanic, but it also seems vaguely northern Chinese with a feel of some unspecific nomadic tribe. Mongolian maybe? It's hard to tell, but, it's still fantasyland regardless. The aesthetics are still striking though, and I'm fascinated at its visual design.

That aside, I think the the last time I saw a mother/daughter pair for main characters was Witchblade. If Kemono no Souja Erin continues like this, it would make for quite the unique anime, featuring zoology and veterinary medicine in fantasy.
Mar 25, 2023 4:17 AM

Nov 2021
the baby touda was really cute (´▽`ʃ♡ƪ)
Jun 25, 2023 5:08 PM

Apr 2019
Erin is so cute...
Jun 30, 2023 9:41 PM

Jan 2021
Well, I don’t remember what I was expecting coming into Erin, but it certainly wasn’t this. I am absolutely blown away in the most positive sense. I am actually stunned. That was one of the best first episodes of anime I’ve ever seen, if not the best, for multiple reasons.

For starters, as soon as I saw the direction of the OP, I immediately knew I was about to embark on quite the ride. I adore anime that makes use of symbolism, and right from the very beginning in the OP, it was clear that Erin would be full of it. The mother and the daughter. The black Touda appearing with Soyon and the shining, white dove-esque creature that emerges alongside of Erin. The apple with the bites from either side, symbolic of the link between Erin and her mother. While the Toudas are the legendary creatures of old – the old guard, per se – similar to Soyon who is quite the spectacular Touda doctor, whatever this glimmering, white dove/phoenix-like creature is symbolizes a rebirth, new life, and peace. This is probably symbolic of Erin’s role she’ll be playing throughout Erin, as further evident by the apple falling down and Erin desperately diving towards it, reaching for it, but unable to grasp it. Looking up at the sky, she sees the majestic white creature flying towards the sun, illuminated in all its glory. She knows what she must do – what she must become, where she must go in life! The OP then transitions back to Erin once again with an apple, but this time solitary, as she takes a bite from it without hesitating. We then see her walking towards the original apple with the two bites taken from it – all the while the majestic white creature is flying on the opposite side where her mother once was, leading Erin forward.

If I can get this much out of a fucking OP, I cannot fucking wait to see what this show has in store!!!

Regarding the things I loved about the episode as a whole…

Let’s start with the writing. First off, the narration is helpful but not overly obtrusive. It’s a nice addition and doesn’t come across as “info-dumpy” or obnoxiously condescending unlike some narration that treats its viewers with very little respect, explaining very obvious things that are occurring on screen. Continuing this line of thought, the script itself also portrays this respect for the audience, as the characters never once say anything extremely obvious and to an even further extent, they discuss topics unfamiliar to the viewer without directly explaining what they’re referring to, leaving you to figure it out through context clues. This is masterful writing!

Next, let’s look at the direction. Takayuki Hamana utilizes quick cuts in places that really brings out the tone of the scene; for example, in the first battle scene where we see an overhead shot of the one army rushing ahead on their creatures, the camera cuts quickly to the shadow of one of the creatures on the ground and then very quickly again to the creature’s feet, leaping and bounding forward. Another direction technique I thought increased my enjoyment of this episode was the comparison of the baby bird in the nest with its mother and the predator to Erin, Soyon, and the Touda, particularly as the scenes both played out, mirroring one another. I also really enjoyed the very noticeable art style changes at specific moments, particularly revolving around the Touda and the effects they have on the humans both physically and emotionally. The overall art style is just super fitting for the anime, with the character designs blending perfectly into the simple-yet-very-unique backgrounds.

The thing I was LEAST expecting to be this incredible was the OST. The soundtracks helped convey a feeling of high tension in the more serious moments while also in turn perfectly expressing the serene, melancholic tones in scenes featuring Erin and her mother. I am in love with this OST!

I loved the themes present in this first episode, with the emphasis on the importance of family bonds and sticking together, especially when it feels like you’re different from everyone else or being treated unfairly by others. It reminded me a lot of the feeling Maquia gave me, which is my favorite movie of all time. Although, judging from the OP, the focus will soon be shifted away from emphasis on family being the stronghold to finding your own way in life and making your own stronghold.

All in all, absolutely perfect first episode.
Sep 3, 2023 4:51 AM

Aug 2020
Now now... I heard that this series is not only about the fantastic aspects, but also about Erin's growth across the years. So this makes the series a coming of age as well... Okay, I'll take this. Hope this anime will be worth the watch.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.