Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 20, 2013 5:54 PM

Dec 2012
renders said:
I don't wanna live on this planet anymore

You can solve that problem with $150 million, but you have to be very trusting in russian rocket science, which I'm not.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:

ANGELS YES in in the same context but yes
saying that when whats the title of EVA Theme again

Cruel Angel's Thesis? What does the theme song title have to do with anything?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Sep 2012
renders said:
BatoKusanagi said:
Certainly the best out there.

renders said:
it was too short and i felt like it borrowed stuff from other shows like steins gate,mirai nikki,end of eva ,devilman and other bs
i didn't liked madoka

That so, let's see:
Time travel-- Nope
Angels-- Nope
Cellphones that predict the future-- Nope
BS-- Nope
Witches-- Yes.

If it borrowed anything from other anime is Hidamari Sketche's char design. Try again.

it borrowed the time travel bs twist from steins gate,mirai nikki,znt, and other time travel bs
and that bs ending from eva,akira,devilman and others
and when i say devilman i mean the manga

Time travel is a common trope. Using time travel is not borrowing stuff from other stories.

The ending has nothing to do at all with Eva besides Madoka and Rei appearing in front of people. What it is about is completely different.
Jun 20, 2013 5:55 PM

Mar 2012
If else Madoka share similarity with Higurashi.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 20, 2013 5:56 PM

Mar 2013
renders said:
BatoKusanagi said:

renders said:
it was too short and i felt like it borrowed stuff from other shows like steins gate,mirai nikki,end of eva ,devilman and other bs
i didn't liked madoka

That so, let's see:
Time travel-- Nope
Angels-- Nope
BS-- Nope
Witches-- Yes.

If it borrowed anything from other anime is Hidamari Sketche's char design. Try again.

it borrowed the time travel bs twist from steins gate,mirai nikki,znt, and other time travel bs
If we used your way, every anime/manga would be copying every other anime/manga.
Jun 20, 2013 5:56 PM

Jan 2012
NeoAnkara said:

I don't even wanna know how you came up with that but then again higurashi was bad too
Jun 20, 2013 5:57 PM
Mar 2011
Tavor said:
DateYutaka said:

to say any thing iwth anything called angel in them that does not have a link to the title does not take influence from eva is wrong
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Nov 2012
renders said:
BatoKusanagi said:

renders said:
i didn't liked madoka

That so, let's see:
Time travel-- Nope
Angels-- Nope
BS-- Nope
Witches-- Yes.

So it only borrowed two things, but you are naming 8+ different anime/manga to make it seem worse than it is. -_-

Oct 2012
renders said:
NeoAnkara said:

I don't even wanna know how you came up with that but then again higurashi was bad too

You must of not paid attention to the second season then.

Jun 20, 2013 6:02 PM

Jan 2012
ok then let's put the copying part aside
what exactly was so great about this show?:)
after ep 4 or 5 when you know happens you kinda get the idea about what kinda show to expect,the length is too short to care about any of the characters,the witches...I don't even,the time travel twist you've seen a 1000x times
and the 2.0 end of eva ending
so what's so thought provoking about this show?
Jun 20, 2013 6:03 PM

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:
Tavor said:
DateYutaka said:

to say any thing iwth anything called angel in them that does not have a link to the title does not take influence from eva is wrong

Usually I can decode your mystical language, but this time, I'm hazy on this one.
"To say anything with angels in said anime does not have a link to the title and doesn't take inspiration from Evangelion is the wrong idea."
????

Jun 20, 2013 6:06 PM

Dec 2012
renders said:
i didn't liked madoka

It's not like Steins;Gate invented the idea of traveling back in time to save someone. Frankly despite only being in one episode I liked how Madoka did time travel better than S;G. I felt that Steins wasn't able to justify some of the fundamentals used in its time travel in a satisfying way, and I also have some problems with how time travel is used there as a narrative element.

As to the topic, I think Madoka is an amazing show, though I can't compare with other MG shows because I haven't seen any.
Jun 20, 2013 6:07 PM

Jan 2012
daedroth4 said:
renders said:
i didn't liked madoka

It's not like Steins;Gate invented the idea of traveling back in time to save someone. Frankly despite only being in one episode I liked how Madoka did time travel better than S;G. I felt that Steins wasn't able to justify some of the fundamentals used in its time travel in a satisfying way, and I also have some problems with how time travel is used there as a narrative element.

As to the topic, I think Madoka is an amazing show, though I can't compare with other MG shows because I haven't seen any.

I'm starting to think that's why most ppl on mal like madoka
because they never even seen a magical girl show before while this is a deconstruction of the genre
Jun 20, 2013 6:10 PM

Oct 2012
renders said:
after ep 4 or 5 when you know happens you kinda get the idea about what kinda show to expect,the length is too short to care about any of the characters,the witches...I don't even,the time travel twist you've seen a 1000x times

"let's put the copying part aside"
>the time travel twist you've seen a 1000x times

Way to stay consistent.
Anyway, I thought it was provoking in a way because of how we were presented with the idea of, "What exactly is a human's essence and value worth to the universe? Why should it truly matter if said person dies? If it's for the greater good, there should not be an issue, especially when humans do the same thing to animals lesser than them"

Jun 20, 2013 6:11 PM

Dec 2012
renders said:
daedroth4 said:
renders said:
i didn't liked madoka

because they never even seen a magical girl show before while this is a deconstruction of the genre

Meaning can still be gleaned from the show regardless. Having an understanding of the genre would probably help, but even then that makes the show better, not worse.
Jun 20, 2013 6:12 PM

Mar 2013
renders said:
Most people like it because it's an interesting idea that was executed in a way that makes you feel connected to characters and the plot.
Jun 20, 2013 6:13 PM

Mar 2012
KawanoMino said:
renders said:
Most people like it because it's an interesting idea that was executed in a way that makes you feel connected to characters and the plot.
The sad thing is that not many feel this about Sayaka.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 20, 2013 6:14 PM

Apr 2011
renders said:

I think most have at least seen Sailor Moon, it was extremely popular when I was younger. I think you just have some grudge against it, cause your reasoning for not liking it makes no sense. You gave Code Geass a 10 and that is just as much a mash up of ideas from different anime/manga as Madoka is. I think the reason people like it is because it has decent writing, good art, some bad ass fights, and tons of style. I think it was overhyped when it was airing and for a bit after that, but that has died down a bit now. It deserves to be acknowledged as being great, it's not the best(in my opinion) but it deserves its place.
Jun 20, 2013 6:15 PM

Mar 2013
NeoAnkara said:
KawanoMino said:
renders said:
Really? I cried when
Jun 20, 2013 6:19 PM

Mar 2012
KawanoMino said:
NeoAnkara said:
KawanoMino said:
renders said:
Really? I cried when
Just look at the number of favorite here. Mami have more favorite than her even thought she didn't develop
Meanwhile Sayaka who her story and developement portrayed well get less reconigtion than her.
Jun 20, 2013 6:19 PM

Nov 2008
Madoka is great but I don't put it in the same class as Precure, Nanatsuiro Drops, or Nanoha. It's in a class of it's own.

NeoAnkara said:

Please don't remind me of Kira, that was one of the most unfitting OVAs in anime, everything was wrong with it even the fanservice was bad.

Jun 20, 2013 6:20 PM

Dec 2012
renders said:

It's kind of hard to elaborate on all the things I enjoyed with a general question like that. I guess to take one specific thing, you mentioned that at around episode 4 you know exactly what is going to happen to one of the characters, and this is completely right. But what I think is unfortunately so unappreciated here on MAL is dramatic irony, and knowledge of the inevitable. So often I see people judge a show based on how predictable it is. There is no appreciation of foreshadowing in order to make a story feel whole and connected. Personally, when I knew exactly what was going to happen from episode 4, it made me love the show more, not less. This kind of ominous foreshadowing gets me engaged and tense like few surprises can because I want those characters to succeed so badly even though I know they will fail. It provides a real dramatic tension that goes unappreciated when everyone is just looking for how many times a show can make them second guess themselves.
Jun 20, 2013 6:28 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
renders said:
BatoKusanagi said:

renders said:
i didn't liked madoka

That so, let's see:
Time travel-- Nope
Angels-- Nope
BS-- Nope
Witches-- Yes.

There's no time travel in MSMM and Mirai Nikki. I recommend you watch them again, ZnT barely has it in one chapter and watch EoE again, you didn't get that either if you think Madoka resembles Madoka. LOL Akira? Seriously? I recommend a re-watch marathon.
Haven't read Devilman, but we're not talking manga here, so it doesn't matter.
Jun 20, 2013 6:30 PM

Jul 2012
NeoAnkara said:
KawanoMino said:
NeoAnkara said:
KawanoMino said:
renders said:
Really? I cried when
Just look at the number of favorite here. Mami have more favorite than her even thought she didn't develop
Meanwhile Sayaka who her story and developement portrayed well get less reconigtion than her.

Favorites on MAL don't equal to how good a character is or how many people may love them. Sasuke has a shitload of favorites on here and you can find a million people saying how he's an emo little bitch.

Most people don't like Sayaka because she turns insane and pretty much loses it. I for one absolutely adore her, sympathize with her, and just think she's a wonderful and beautifully tragic character.

Why am I even getting involved in this thread? This is going to turn out like the old mahou shoujo thread.
Jun 20, 2013 6:31 PM

Jul 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
renders said:
BatoKusanagi said:

renders said:
i didn't liked madoka

That so, let's see:
Time travel-- Nope
Angels-- Nope
BS-- Nope
Witches-- Yes.

There's no time travel in MSMM and Mirai Nikki. I recommend you watch them again, ZnT barely has it in one chapter and watch EoE again, you didn't get that either if you think Madoka resembles Madoka. LOL Akira? Seriously? I recommend a re-watch marathon.
Haven't read Devilman, but we're not talking manga here, so it doesn't matter.

"There's no time travel in MSMM and Mirai Nikki."

Uhh.. I hate to say this, but I recommend you watch episode 10 again. And yeah, it borrows ideas from other shows. So what? What matters in the end is the execution. Besides Madoka Magica's time traveling aspect is VASTLY superior to Mirai Nikki's.
Jun 20, 2013 6:32 PM

Oct 2012
ihateeveryone said:

Why am I even getting involved in this thread? This is going to turn out like the old mahou shoujo thread.

katsucats, where are you?

Jun 20, 2013 6:33 PM
Sep 2011
Litrydow said:
Every normal person feels like you.

Implying that there's such a thing as normal people.

If anything the show has similarities to Kamen Rider Ryuki.

As well as Lyrical Nanoha, thanks to being the same director.

As well as Heartcatch Precure, which Urobuchi has said he likes.
Jun 20, 2013 6:35 PM
Mar 2011
i noiced that too r link
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 20, 2013 6:36 PM

Jul 2012
Tavor said:
ihateeveryone said:

katsucats, where are you?

The second he gets in this thread I'm banning myself.
Jun 20, 2013 6:37 PM

Jul 2012
RLinksoul said:
Litrydow said:

I kinda find it hard for it to have copied from Heartcatch's ending, since as soon as Heartcatch ended Madoka started, and Madoka was already in production beforehand, so..
Jun 20, 2013 6:38 PM

Dec 2012
RLinksoul said:
Litrydow said:

Fighting to have your wish granted and having your wish granted in return for fighting is kind of a big difference to be honest. And while it looks like Madoka and Ryuki have similar premises, a premise by itself doesn't make a show. I'm pretty sure every show in my favorites list had a premise that made me roll my eyes before I watched it, so this is something I find to be pretty superficial.
Jun 20, 2013 6:39 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
ihateeveryone said:

Uhh.. I hate to say this, but I recommend you watch episode 10 again. And yeah, it borrows ideas from other shows. So what? What matters in the end is the execution. Besides Madoka Magica's time traveling aspect is VASTLY superior to Mirai Nikki's.

Nope. (MSMM and Mirai Nikki spoilers)
Jun 20, 2013 6:41 PM

Mar 2013
BatoKusanagi said:
ihateeveryone said:

In Mirai Nikki
Jun 20, 2013 6:42 PM

Mar 2012
ihateeveryone said:
RLinksoul said:
Litrydow said:

I kinda find it hard for it to have copied from Heartcatch's ending, since as soon as Heartcatch ended Madoka started, and Madoka was already in production beforehand, so..
I just want to say that Dragon Knight is really bad counterpart to Ryuuki.
Jun 20, 2013 6:42 PM

Jan 2008
BatoKusanagi said:
ihateeveryone said:

For Madoka... Isn't that basically time traveling....?
Jun 20, 2013 6:43 PM

Feb 2012
I've only seen three, four if you count Sailor Moon when I was a kid, but it was the least interesting one I've seen imo. Don't get me wrong, I did like it, but it didn't seem that great overall. It had an amazing soundtrack and great art but it felt more like style over substance to me.
Jun 20, 2013 6:44 PM

Jul 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
ihateeveryone said:

Jul 2018
daedroth4 said:
And while it looks like Madoka and Ryuki have similar premises, a premise by itself doesn't make a show..

It's a trollbait pic. (But great trollbait nonetheless.)
Most of the things there are only similar from a glance from a mile away.

Jul 2007
Madoka is a wonderful magical girl series, but it is an oddity to the genre rather than an example of it, which is what so few people seem to understand. I get that a lot of people consider Madoka to be the best magical girl series they've seen. I also get these same people have maybe seen one or two magical girl series in addition to Madoka and that Madoka subverts, deconstructs, and occassionally annihilates most magical girl tropes.

What Gen Urobuchi created with Madoka, as he claims to have said he set out to do, was not a good magical girl story, but a good story period. Madoka is more than its subversions and deconstructions, something I didn't realize until the second time I watched it. This story cares deeply, deeply for its characters and uncovers every possible facet of them underneath their candy-colored exteriors and succeeds tremendously on its restraint and willingness to play within Kyubey's rules rather than break them for the sake of audience pandering. It is an absolute treat.

Now, with that said, Madoka is not what I think of when I think magical girl, and that is because Madoka uses the mahou shoujo genre as a background rather than an identity. It uses the genre to establish its setting and then cruelly destroys the illusion, opening the curtain and inviting shocked and awed viewers to walk deeper into the darkness behind its exterior.

By the by, my favorite (read: not best) magical girl series is Ojamajo Doremi.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jun 20, 2013 7:04 PM

Apr 2013
-Miles- said:
otakuNproud said:
-Miles- said:
I feel that Utena does a better job as a deconstruction.

Even then, I prefer the Nanoha series more.

You mean the anime right, not the manga? I haven't seen the anime, but the manga version felt like more like a more unique version of the magical girl genre than a deconstruction of it. By that, I mean the main female character is more daring and authentic than that of other magical girls I've seen.

Yep. The premise is the same (duels, etc.), but there's a ton of noticeable differences between the anime and manga. The movie clears up on a ton of issues that weren't resolved or explained in the manga or anime; also, car metaphors.

Ugh, I could only watch the first twenty minutes of the movie. It pissed me off; it felt like the screenwriter just used Utena and Anthy as for own personal entertainment. I wish he could have just stuck to the original storyline.
Jun 20, 2013 7:15 PM
Feb 2012
Madoka Magica all the way (even though I have not finished yet, I am certain that my point would always be valid). Honestly, it's the only thing I've seen so far because it's the main writer of the show that was the author of the Light Novels of Fate/Zero that got me interested... that, and I've been hearing great yet weird responses about this show.
Jun 20, 2013 7:16 PM

Aug 2009
Watch Utena =/

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 20, 2013 7:17 PM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
renders said:

Way to stay consistent.
Anyway, I thought it was provoking in a way because of how we were presented with the idea of, "What exactly is a human's essence and value worth to the universe? Why should it truly matter if said person dies? If it's for the greater good, there should not be an issue, especially when humans do the same thing to animals lesser than them"

I'm sorry but eva ,aoi bungaku and other shows made a better job in making you ask yourself about these question.This on the other hand not so much,didn't cared about any of the characters.Also even that evil little guy reminded me of bokurano and narutaru
Jun 20, 2013 7:18 PM

Oct 2012
renders said:
Tavor said:
renders said:

Way to stay consistent.

I'm sorry but eva ,aoi bungaku and other shows made a better job in making you ask yourself about these question.This on the other hand not so much,didn't cared about any of the characters.Also even that evil little guy reminded me of bokurano and narutaru

Sorry, but Evangelion and Madoka made me ask two very different questions.

Feb 2012
battosai-01 said:
Watch Utena =/

Wait, Utena counts? ... okay, for that, I've seen a few episodes. It's okay.

Apr 2013
renders said:

Well, as I said on somebody else's post, I like the way it show the consequences of becoming a magical girl more realistically. I mean, think about it, once you become a magical girl (or a magical anything for that matter) you aren't exactly human anymore. It makes you think about what you are willing to do to have that kind of power. Besides that, I really empathized with some of the characters, especially Madoka and Homura. Those two have got to be the most noble female anime characters I've ever encountered.
Jun 20, 2013 7:19 PM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
renders said:
Tavor said:
renders said:

Way to stay consistent.

Sorry, but Evangelion and Madoka made me ask two very different questions.

and that is why we are all different
Jun 20, 2013 7:20 PM

Jan 2012
otakuNproud said:
renders said:

Well, as I said on somebody else's post, I like the way it show the consequences of becoming a magical girl more realistically. I mean, think about it, once you become a magical girl (or a magical anything for that matter) you aren't exactly human anymore. It makes you think about what you are willing to do to have that kind of power. Besides that, I really empathized with some of the characters, especially Madoka and Homura. Those two have got to be the most noble female anime characters I've ever encountered.

Yeah I think about it,I've seen this in every magical girl show done better,especially Jeanne...oh Jeanne
Jun 20, 2013 7:20 PM

Oct 2012
renders said:
and that is why we are all different

Nevertheless, they are at least thought provoking, as you asked plainly, "so what's so thought provoking about this show?" and I gave you an answer; not to make comparisons.

Jun 20, 2013 7:21 PM

Apr 2013
battosai-01 said:
Watch Utena =/

I've already read the manga; I liked it, but not enough to watch the anime sorry.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.