Jun 15, 2013 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
gamer2710 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
spyrocoot said:
Tavor said:
spyrocoot said:
Exactly, it's extremely irritating.

So what's the issue with suggesting a neutral standpoint?

You think that someone that only watches subs is neutral in these types of threads?
You think that someone who's watched both is?
It's not neutrality that matters, it's who has the informed opinion. Even the opinion someone who watched at least one episode of the other version before dropping it in a fit of rage is better than the opinion of someone who only watched one version.

It also comes down to preferences, if both dub and sub are great, then it's really up to the OP himself to choose which one to watch
Jun 15, 2013 2:50 PM
Mar 2011
OriginANIME said:
DateYutaka said:
OriginANIME said:
DateYutaka said:
OriginANIME said:
Dubbed.

If you want to hear Goku sounding like a little b**** throughout the whole series, then go wit subs.

you have no idea of context of Goku do you

Just because hes like a little kid doesn't mean has to sound like one. Is that what you're trying to say?

hes based on Sun wukong/ sun goku play fully and child like but also powerfull Monkey king

There are a lot of cases where a character is based on someone else, but that doesn't mean he/she has to sound like them. Though I do understand what you mean, but in my opinion, English dubbed was just more pleasing to the ear.

English dubbed music was a lot better as well, which is actually the real difference I see between dubbed and subbed. I don't actually hate Goku's Japanese voice as bad as I make it out to be. I watched DBZ in subbed first, and its my favorite mainstream anime.

no hes not based on him in Dragon ball he his him even in Name in Japanese Sun Wukong is called Son Goku

right he s a monkey name Goku hes an expy for that character srtight
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Oct 2012
spyrocoot said:
Tavor said:
spyrocoot said:

You think that someone that only watches subs is neutral in these types of threads?

I was referring to my first post in this thread, the one suggesting the idea the OP alone makes that choice. I mean, it's not that hard to do, you either prefer to the dub or the sub depending on the anime based off experiencing it for yourself. Why limit yourself to someone's opinion (which has proven to be a mess in this thread) when it's not hard to find out yourself?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

May 2012
Dub. Goku is more manly in the dub.

Dub.
Jun 15, 2013 2:52 PM

Aug 2012
SteampunkDalek said:
Dub. Goku is more manly in the dub.

Dub.
Honestly, if it's not the music, then this will be the deciding factor.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jun 15, 2013 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
I think there are too many people here that will just say "sub" for all anime even though they haven't seen the dub.
walla said:
Read the manga, the anime is too stretched out.
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Lol no.
Why not Kai?
Why?
Unit-01 said:
This, Kai is horribly upscaled, and changed VAs for a few characters
That's why.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 15, 2013 2:53 PM

Oct 2010
tsudecimo said:
spyrocoot said:
I've watched FMA, FMP and Baccano!, and it amazes me that anyone could recommend against watching the dubs. Then I remember I'm on MAL. Perhaps being from Sudan you struggle to understand it?

You can't really be this dense, what language am I talking with you right now ? I understand the English audio just fine, furthermore the dialogue is usually dumbed down compared to the original script. I used to watch US movies without subtitles since I was 15 give me a break.

What basis do you use for the dialogue being "usually dumbed down"? FMA, FMP and Baccano! weren't dumbed down at all. At least back up your points instead of making sweeping generalisations. I'm struggling to take you seriously.

Tavor said:

I was referring to my first post in this thread, the one suggesting the idea the OP alone makes that choice. I mean, it's not that hard to do, you either prefer to the dub or the sub depending on the anime based off experiencing it for yourself. Why limit yourself to someone's opinion (which has proven to be a mess in this thread) when it's not hard to find out yourself?

You obviously didn't read my reply, so I'll paste it here:

"It isn't as simple as that. Some dubs may have a poor script or be heavily censored (granted, these are mostly old dubs). A good dub isn't simply the quality of voice acting".

This is why informed opinions are needed.
Jun 15, 2013 2:58 PM

Aug 2012
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
Why not Kai?
Why?
Unit-01 said:
That's why.
Change =/= bad. The new Gohan was fine and the new Frieza was amazing, far superior to the original. There are others but I can't recall them. I don't know about the upscale; I watched it on Nicktoons with my old non-HD TV.
Jun 15, 2013 2:59 PM

May 2012
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
I think there are too many people here that will just say "sub" for all anime even though they haven't seen the dub.
walla said:
Read the manga, the anime is too stretched out.
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Lol no.
Why not Kai?
Why?
Unit-01 said:
That's why.
I dont know why Funi would go and mess with a perfectly good dub!! Why, just so Monica Rial could have a role!??
Jun 15, 2013 3:01 PM

Oct 2012
spyrocoot said:
You obviously didn't read my reply, so I'll paste it here:

"It isn't as simple as that. Some dubs may have a poor script or be heavily censored (granted, these are mostly old dubs). A good dub isn't simply the quality of voice acting".

This is why informed opinions are needed.

Appears I forgot to reply to that, my bad.

As for a response, isn't this why the OP should make the comparison here for himself? As in, which one feels more 'fuller' in the dialogue between characters to him?

Actually, now that I think about it, we DON'T KNOW what the OP wants to begin with. Quality voice acting? Better Dialogue? Both?

Jun 15, 2013 3:03 PM

Aug 2012
tsudecimo said:
Anyway this turned into a sub vs dub thread. From an objective subjective point of view raw > sub > dub.
This was already settled in another thread. There can be no objectivity in entertainment when it comes down to preference.
Jun 15, 2013 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:

Anyway this turned into a sub vs dub thread. From an objective point of view raw > sub > dub.

Unless your trying to learn Japanese, who the fuck watches anime raw??
Jun 15, 2013 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
Why not Kai?
Why?
Unit-01 said:
That's why.
Change =/= bad. The new Gohan was fine and the new Frieza was amazing, far superior to the original. There are others but I can't recall them. I don't know about the upscale; I watched it on Nicktoons with my old non-HD TV.
I'm not saying change is always bad, but there is some things better left unchanged. Then again that's just me.

Jun 15, 2013 3:05 PM

Aug 2012
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
Why not Kai?
Why?
Unit-01 said:
That's why.
I'm not saying change is always bad, but there is some things better left unchanged. Then again that's just me.
I think the changed voice actors has more to do with Funimation not being able to get them back for various reasons, not necessarily because they wanted to cast new people.

Sentai Filmworks, for example, tried to get the old Saber back for Unlimited Blade Works, but couldn't, so they settled with someone else.
Jun 15, 2013 3:05 PM

Nov 2010
spyrocoot said:
IntroverTurtle said:
spyrocoot said:
Tavor said:
spyrocoot said:

You think that someone who's watched both is?

Nobody is completely neutral in a sub vs dub thread, the idea is that you're arguing why the dub of anime x is better than the sub of anime x, or vice versa. As someone that enjoys both subs and dubs, and someone who will only put forth my input on an anime where I've seen both, I feel my opinion is more useful to OP than some other users.

In this instance, I've watched DBZ both subbed and dubbed. I prefer Bruce Faulconer's music, but many of the characters in the FUNi dub sound the same (thank you Chris Sabbat). The subbed version has the original music, but I didn't like the voices of many characters (Goku in particular). I wasn't too impressed with either, so I think the OP could watch either version.
I'm not arguing that in this thread. This thread is simply what the OP should watch it in, it's not decided necessarily by the quality.
Well that's your choice. I will put my opinion in even when I've only watched one, it's the OP's choice to do what he wants with my opinion. Just having watched both does not necessarily make an opinion more useful. The experience level of the person, how much he knows about the subbing and dubbing process, how close he is to the person asking, etc would also impact it.
Jun 15, 2013 3:08 PM

Oct 2010
tsudecimo said:

That should be my line, you are the one that thinks that English not being my first language is somehow the reason I think dub is inferior. Back it up how ? do you want me to post a clip of the same scene in a sub and dub version ? if so I don't care enough to do that.

Anyway this turned into a sub vs dub thread. From an objective point of view raw > sub > dub.

For anime viewers with English as a second language, they generally find it easier to watch with English subtitles than watching something dubbed in English. As someone who's learning German, I'm the same, so that's why I asked.

I'm not going to argue for your own points. You made a sweeping generalisation without having any basis to go on, you should be the one to find a source to support your points.

You don't even know what "objective" means. Objective is something that is a fact and that can be proven. For example, 2 + 2 = 4, that is objective. The fact you're passing judgement on something means it's "subjective", so there is no measure of objectivity regarding whether to watch anime raw, subbed or dubbed. Please learn to English.
Jun 15, 2013 3:14 PM

Jan 2013
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
Why not Kai?
Why?
Unit-01 said:
That's why.
I think the changed voice actors has more to do with Funimation not being able to get them back for various reasons, not necessarily because they wanted to cast new people.

Sentai Filmworks, for example, tried to get the old Saber back for Unlimited Blade Works, but couldn't, so they settled with someone else.
I see, well that's certainly news for me, I didn't even know that. I really need to do my homework...

Jan 2013
DBZ is better in DUB. End of story

Aug 2012
tsudecimo said:
gamer2710 said:
tsudecimo said:
This was already settled in another thread. There can be no objectivity in entertainment when it comes down to preference.

I am not talking about how good the voice actors are or w/e. I am talking about the advantages of hearing anime in it's original audio, IntroverTurtle mentioned them in sub vs dub thread.
I know, I posted there too. That's all based on whether the viewer cares enough to watch anime in its original form.
Jun 15, 2013 3:15 PM

Nov 2012
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1
Jun 15, 2013 3:16 PM

Oct 2012
omg please watch subbed with original japanese background music-kudasaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Jun 15, 2013 3:18 PM

Nov 2010
ibrahim2712 said:
Nope
Jun 15, 2013 3:18 PM

Oct 2012
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1

I didn't even notice until now

Jun 15, 2013 3:19 PM

Aug 2012
kinpaku-chan said:
omg please watch subbed with original japanese background music-kudasaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
What is this I don't even--
Jun 15, 2013 3:20 PM

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
ibrahim2712 said:
Nope
yup no no no, the bgm of dubbed is annoying

Jan 2013
ibrahim2712 said:
Then I might as well say "Latin America Dubs".
CabronJun 15, 2013 3:27 PM

Dec 2012
Tavor said:
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1

I actually feel bad for him now lol.
Jun 15, 2013 3:23 PM

Jan 2013
kinpaku-chan said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ibrahim2712 said:
Nope
yup no no no, the bgm of dubbed is annoying

Nope
Jun 15, 2013 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
Tavor said:
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1

Man, I've been here since the start. lol
Jun 15, 2013 3:38 PM

Oct 2010
tsudecimo said:
Tavor said:
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1

Why do you feel bad for me?
Jun 15, 2013 4:17 PM

Nov 2012
spyrocoot said:
tsudecimo said:
Tavor said:
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1

I thought he was reffering to me.
Jun 15, 2013 4:19 PM

Oct 2010
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
tsudecimo said:
Tavor said:
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1

Nah, he has some sort of grudge against me for some reason :S
Jun 15, 2013 4:33 PM

May 2012
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
el_putazo said:
gamer2710 said:
Why not Kai?
Why?
Unit-01 said:
That's why.

At least Funi got the original cast back for Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail!
Jun 15, 2013 4:34 PM

Nov 2012
spyrocoot said:
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
tsudecimo said:
Tavor said:
Unit-01 said:
spyrocoot said:
Please learn to English.

Lmfao, +1

Nah, he has some sort of grudge against me for some reason :S
Probably trying to indirectly insult you or something.
Jun 15, 2013 4:37 PM
Jun 15, 2013 4:40 PM

Dec 2012
Unit-01 said:
Probably trying to indirectly insult you or something.

It was directed at spy and it wasn't really an insult ( no grudge here ).
Jun 16, 2013 1:30 AM

Oct 2009
Subbed if you haven't experienced it as a kid. Dubbed if you have experienced it as a kid. I've heard DBZ is better subbed but due to the nostalgia value I have for the dub I can't watch the sub.

Jun 16, 2013 1:35 AM

Dec 2011
If you don't mind males voiced by females go ahead and watch the sub.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Jun 16, 2013 1:36 AM

Feb 2013
Subbed.

Jun 16, 2013 1:39 AM

Oct 2009
Eckilsax said:

Yeah, Goku does sound like an angry middle-aged woman going through her last menstrual cycle when chargin' up.

Jun 16, 2013 1:52 AM

May 2012
lucjan said:
Eckilsax said:

Yeah, Goku does sound like an angry middle-aged woman going through her last menstrual cycle when chargin' up.
That's because he IS voiced by a middle aged woman... >_<
Jun 16, 2013 1:54 AM

Nov 2012
SteampunkDalek said:
lucjan said:
Eckilsax said:

She's really old now, also the problem with it is that she's the same VA for Kid Goku too... So she's been Goku for like 20-30 years...
Jun 16, 2013 2:03 AM

Feb 2008
I would suggest for you to watch the original series, subbed, but Kai did a pretty in removing a lot of unnecessary stuff. The problem with watching Kai, is that you'll miss the awesome OST of the original series (well, in the Cell Saga in Kai they did use some of original OST, but the Freeza Saga without it just doesn't feel the same).
Jun 16, 2013 2:25 AM

May 2011
Dubbed, i fucking grew up with it dubbed, i played ALL THE FREAKING FIGHTING games dubbed, and it is superior to the Japanese audio that sounds like cats in heat. Hell, even a fan-made parody (TeamFourStar FTW) is the next best voice cast, i prefer them over the Japanese audio any day.
RockerXDJun 16, 2013 2:34 AM
Jun 16, 2013 2:30 AM

May 2012
RockerXD said:
Dubbed, i fucking grew up with it dubbed, i played ALL THE FREAKING FIGHTING games dubbed, and it is superior to the Japanese audio that sounds like cats in heat.
+1

Unit-01 said:
SteampunkDalek said:
lucjan said:
Eckilsax said:

She's really old now, also the problem with it is that she's the same VA for Kid Goku too... So she's been Goku for like 20-30 years...
Why would they make a granny voice a young man... One of the great mysteries of anime!
Jun 16, 2013 2:57 AM

Jun 2012
Dubbed, because the Japanese Goku dub is horrible and annoying.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2013 3:02 AM

Feb 2008
Eckilsax said:

Because this is the only anime where they did that. And Goku and Krilyn are the only ones voiced by women. There are still VA veterans. DBZ is one of those shows with the strongest cast.

@OP According to your profile, you're from Netherlands. You can easily skip the English dub and watch it either in Japanese or your local dub. English dub is too cheesy and everyone sounds like a heavy smoker. Everyone has a sore throat.
ZetaZakuJun 16, 2013 3:06 AM

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 16, 2013 7:55 AM

Jan 2013
Personally though, I thought the Spanish (Latin America version) was not only the perfect dubbing for DB series, but overall just a perfect dub in every way.
TachiiJun 16, 2013 8:41 AM
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 16, 2013 8:22 AM

Jan 2012
watch it dubbed
there's something likeable in sean schmells voice doing goku
Jun 16, 2013 8:49 AM

May 2013
I'm sure TC doesn't even care about this thread already.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 226 Discussion

11 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 225 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 224 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 17, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 223 Discussion

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 17, 3:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.