Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 25, 2007 1:22 AM

Jan 2007
I'm so glad I decided to rent this movie. Never thought a movie about cats would be great. It's a good thing that we had a ghibli thread
Feb 25, 2007 1:23 AM
Jul 2006
try night on the galactic railway
Feb 25, 2007 1:27 AM

Jan 2007
ok i'll see if i can locate it
Feb 25, 2007 1:59 AM
Sep 2006
I completely agree. Actually, out of all the Ghibli movies, The Cat Returns is by far my favorite with Whisper of The Heart close behind for obvious reasons (the Baron is in that one, too). I love the characters and how the animation style is strikingly different, it's good to see a change of sorts. The English voices are actually very nice.
Dec 29, 2007 5:35 AM

Feb 2007
Ah I love the Baron.

:D

such an old topic.. reviving it is lotsa fun :3

never noticed the topic then. :P
Jan 27, 2008 6:32 PM

Jul 2007
Wow.
I just saw this movie.
I can't say anything other than wow
This movie is simply amazing
just wow
I had doubts, but this movie kept me entertained the whole time
not the most AMAZING movie i've ever seen but it wasn't a waste of time.
I'm really glad I took the time to watch this movie
The cat returns is defiantly up there for me
Feb 29, 2008 7:55 PM

Sep 2007
I just saw it too! And I loved it. Now I want to somehow find Whisper of the Heart.
Mar 1, 2008 3:49 PM

Jan 2008
This is my favourite Ghibli movie... I think it was the first I saw actually too xD I love cats<3 I finally got one today<3
Mar 15, 2008 11:41 AM
Jan 2008
I definitely understand that there are some people who like this film. I think it's one of the weakest from the studio. It's cute and charming, yes, but it's also too shallow, too simplistic. Not that there weren't any features from Ghibli that were not simple; My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service for instance, but those films had a certain special "magic" and "adult appeal" that The Cat Returns lacks. More detrimental to the movie IMO is the "believe in yourself" message that is verbally displayed about halfway through the film. Not only does this undermine the movie, but it makes the resolution less stronger than it should be.

It's not a bad film by any means and children will certainly enjoy it, but The Cat Returns just didn't captivate me as much as the studio's better features.
Mar 17, 2008 8:33 PM

Aug 2007
Great!~ Loved the art & theme.

"The world's decadence often pertains to a single lonely heart."
Mar 18, 2008 5:31 AM

Jun 2005
Miyazaki's movies are also very simplistic, especially earlier works tend to be much more comical than his latter features, and also much more gripping actually. The Cat Return's simplicity may be partly due to the small scale project it was to be made before growing out to a full feature movie but also partly because Morita Hiroyuki is very influenced with Miyazaki's older works and other classic children's films. I think that's exactly its charme, it does have a substance but it doesn't try to be more complex than the themes it is trying to show, something many other films fail at. Its cinematography and writing are easy to convey and anybody can follow it, yet they show a great level of understanding and communication towards the viewer.

The Cat Returns does often get flack for the movie it is, but, I think it is due to the expectations people have at it, they expect something akin to Miyazaki's latter work, "intellectual" with a higher level of complexity and tension, instead they get a film that is written and presented like a typical '50/'60s movie with a classical storyline. Is being comical and entertaining bad nowadays? No, quite the contrary it offers a good contrast to most films today and the as always high production from Ghibli is another big plus point.

I can see where most people who dislike the film come from, however, most of them expect something from The Cats Returns that it never states or even tries to be.

I like the movie a lot at least, can't say whether better or worse than other stuff by either Miyazaki or Takahata, they all are great on their own.
Apr 30, 2008 2:29 PM

Oct 2007
The Cat Returns and Whisper of the Heart are must sees ^_^

Jun 14, 2008 11:36 PM

Dec 2007
This was such a cute movie. :3 I just finished it a couple of hours ago, and wow.
This is why I love Miyazaki so much~ <3
Jul 4, 2008 8:50 PM

Jan 2008
To JTurner

JTurner said:
It's cute and charming, yes, but it's also too shallow, too simplistic.

I think, it being simple and sweet is one of the contributing factors that makes it such a good movie. You don't get bogged down with too many details, which can slow down the plot and ultimatly hurt the movie. And too shallow? It only has one main character, who has a vibrant, wonderful personality, who the audience can really conect with. I think for such a short film, they got a lot of charaterization, and beauty into it.

JTurner said:
Not that there weren't any features from Ghibli that were not simple; My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service for instance, but those films had a certain special "magic" and "adult appeal" that The Cat Returns lacks.

I'll agree that the "adult appeal" isn't there, but The Cat Returns is a movie directed tword a younger audience. That's why the movie was very light-hearted and simple, so young kids could understand it better.

JTurner said:
More detrimental to the movie IMO is the "believe in yourself" message that is verbally displayed about halfway through the film. Not only does this undermine the movie, but it makes the resolution less stronger than it should be.

Let me get this straight, you think the movies over-all message, "believe in yourself" was obviousley harmful to the movie? The movie is about how a girl who hates herself, but over comes that by helping others and herself; therefore able to start "believing in herself". The resolution of the story is Prince Lune is able to proposes to the girl cat, and Ahiru goes home. She whouldn't have been able to do that if she didn't believe in herself, so I can't see how it made the resolution less stronger.
Dec 20, 2008 1:51 PM

Jun 2007
loved the movie from the beginning to end. it kept me entertained all the time.
it was definitely cute and charming. and I watched it english, and I have to say that the voices didnt annoy me at all :D

selective_yellow said:
Ah I love the Baron.
Jan 31, 2009 10:16 PM
Sep 2008
I just finished watching this movie and I really enjoyed it! It is very cute!
I easily loved all of the charecters and the story! I also think it sends out a great messege as well, but this is me ^^
Sep 6, 2009 8:53 AM

Sep 2009
JTurner said:
I think it's one of the weakest from the studio. It's cute and charming, yes, but it's also too shallow, too simplistic.

As others such as Keitarou have already pointed out, the charm of this movie is precisely that it isn't encumbered by complex themes. You don't need a maze of ideas crammed into a story to make a great piece of work. In fact, I dare say it's that much harder to create something extraordinary out of a simple story. The Cat Returns was, from start to end, a beautifully told story of a whimsical journey. So many classic fantasy scenes like walking into the street of tiny houses (for human standards), the gorgeous palace and the action that ensued, and let's not forget the flying through the sky. I just really enjoyed this aesthetically. Almost makes you want to join her on this journey, no?

But to each his own; we all look for different things in entertainment. Personally, as long as a story excites me and spurs my imagination, I'm happy. I actually liked this one more than Whisper of the Heart, even though that was fantastic as well.
"I think I know, I don't think I know, I don't think think I know, I don't think I think." - Ed
Sep 8, 2009 5:54 PM

Aug 2008
it's my fav! totally love it, i watched at least 5 times cuz i have the dvds. XD
Mar 7, 2010 6:48 PM

Jul 2008
Watching this was so much fun~!

It was so good seeing the Baron again. He is so cool. *_*

I laughed more than I should of in this scene:

xD
Mar 10, 2010 11:19 AM

Jan 2010
For being simplistic it was pretty interesting and boring in the beginning. It wasn't til the end when it had truely caught my attention and made me stop doing my homework because I really wanted to find out what would happen to the Prince's supposed bride to be. Yet for being rather simplitic it was pretty good the characters where thought out well along with the story line of the whole thing.

Yet... I think this movie was about furries ;DDD But I think that is just my opinion bacause normally Furries stand on two legs and talk and what not
Mar 10, 2010 11:21 AM
Feb 2010
I want to see that.
c:
Jun 9, 2012 11:32 AM

Apr 2012
Good things about this movie: it is cute, playful, and has some wonderful moments of character interaction. The scene where the lantern-carrying throng of cats march down the street to Haru's household to honor her with the cat king's audience was truly magical and had a wondrous dream-like quality. The cat-like voice acting, complete with puns left and right, was very clever.

Bad things about this movie: Very shallow and ultimately forgettable. Nowhere near the quality of "Whisper of the Heart", which, despite occational flights of fancy, had its story take place in the real world; "The Cat Returns" moves further into the fantasy genre, but it does so with absolutely no regard for plot consistency, and ends up having more holes in it than a swiss cheese. Certain moments, like the Baron spontaneously jumping from a tall building only to be swooped up by his crow comrade (how did he know his friend was aware of his intention of jumping?), and the disembodied voice mysteriously giving Haru instructions (never are we told how this is possible), really cripples the story. I understand that this is a fairy tale for kids and is meant to be enjoyed as such, but when you set up a scenario in the real world, and then contiuously defy the scientific laws that bind it, it makes for a confusing and frustrating watch. Why are there portals around town that lead to and from the cat kingdom? Who put them there and how do they work? The longer the movie went on, the more nonsense the writers pulled straight out of their wazoos, expecting us to take one outrageous event after another for granted without an iota of critical thought. As a result this movie, in my eyes, quickly went from "good", to "fine", to just "barely okay"; had it gone on longer than its one-hour-and-fifteen-minutes running time, I suspect my rating would be even lower. As it stands, the cuteness of the cats saved this from truly becoming aweful. Watch or rewatch "Whisper of the Heart" instead.
SymphoniusJun 9, 2012 11:38 AM
"Truth can always be found deep in the dungeon."
~ Balmung of the Azure Sky
Jan 16, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2012
Nothing have changed for me, and as I loved this movie 10 years ago, so I like it still in the same way. It seems that it will be always a ten out of ten for me.
Symphonius, putting together a fairy tale and slice of life doesn't looks like a great idea, is it not ? :)
Mar 5, 2013 5:20 PM

May 2012
This was the first anime movie I've seen and this is also my favorite, It's simply amazing.
The baron was also one of my first anime crushes <3 (... I hope it's not too wrong...)
Apr 30, 2015 3:40 PM
Apr 2013
*Haru blushed a bit* mhm okay "

Jun 23, 2015 6:57 PM

May 2015
This movie is so cute. I really like the music. I have watched it so many times.
Jan 15, 2017 10:13 AM
Dec 2016
so at the end, will haru ever meet them again, cause she walked straight past fatso cat
like ik they said she was welcome anytime, but will she really just forget them now that she is back to her regular life

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neko no Ongaeshi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 10, 2008

72 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 22, 6:31 PM

» Could this be one of the versions of the story written by Shizuku?

InfiNitrous - Jul 14, 2023

2 by animedude1287 »»
Jul 15, 2023 5:38 AM

» I enjoyed the barons character a lot more than i thought does that make me a furry

doodlenoodle613 - Jun 18, 2021

3 by Sakura_2345 »»
Jan 9, 2023 10:53 AM

» But what about Bunnies in another world?

Kuriko-san - Apr 20, 2019

3 by Alpha_Druid »»
Jan 21, 2022 4:30 AM

» Best movie of Studio Ghibli

ProxyLain - Sep 19, 2019

4 by Alpha_Druid »»
Jan 21, 2022 4:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.