Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 12, 2013 1:07 AM

Sep 2012
It was announced that in the next issue of "Gekkan Comic Beam", to be published on July 12th, manga "Hourou Musuko" will have its last chapter. The manga started serialization from late 2002 and has continued for over 10 years. So far 14 volumes have been published. In 2011 it was adapted into a TV anime series.

Source: Mainichi
NaruleachJun 12, 2013 1:33 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 12, 2013 1:49 AM

Sep 2012
Wha... What ? Already ? Didn't expect this.
Jun 12, 2013 2:12 AM

Dec 2010
Yeah, me too. I totally didn't think it was coming to an end.
Another one leaves us : ( recently it's like one right after the other T.T
Jun 12, 2013 2:28 AM

Jul 2010
I really need to get on the manga already, the anime was probably one of the most important things in my life.

Shame it's ending, but I'll always be interested in anything new (and old) Shimura does.
Jun 12, 2013 3:27 AM

Aug 2012
What? Aw.. so soon. I was expecting it to go for a little longer, but then again it is about children dealing with their sexuality and the time is running out.
Jun 12, 2013 3:30 AM

Jun 2008
I kept wondering how long it'd run, but I didn't expect it to end this soon... o.o
Jun 12, 2013 8:17 AM

Sep 2009
while I do like the fact that they deal with alot of social issue, I found this series extremely boring.
Jun 12, 2013 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
Shame, I kinda liked the anime.

Haven't given the manga a shot yet but also interested.
Jun 12, 2013 9:30 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah it really seemed that author wanted to end it, I'm not liking the pace of the latest chapters.

I heard that aoi hana is also having a rushed ending, i wonder if they forced shimura to end both manga or if she is just tired of them?

Anyway what a shame.
VanisherJun 12, 2013 9:36 AM
Jun 12, 2013 11:59 AM
May 2010
I love Hourou Musuko and I love Shimura Takako, but I just can't see her pulling off a satisfying ending like this. Between this and Aoi Hana, something must be going on in her personal life. Both have been kind of lackluster lately as well, so I think she's struggling with being a mangaka.
Jun 12, 2013 2:25 PM

Mar 2011
anime was really good one.
i hope she'll pull off some good ending.

Jun 12, 2013 2:53 PM

Nov 2008
I guess it's time to start reading and watching it
Jun 12, 2013 5:02 PM

Aug 2008
The pacing of the actually chapters is that bad imo, but I do think that are still something the mangaka can develop, I really wonder where the ending is going...
Jun 12, 2013 7:38 PM
Jan 2009
It's a shame the English printing is in limbo. Two volumes a year at £10 seemed like a great idea to someone.
Jun 12, 2013 10:13 PM

Jul 2008
New_Username said:
It's a shame the English printing is in limbo. Two volumes a year at £10 seemed like a great idea to someone.

It isn't in limbo...Volume 4 was just released by Fantagraphics Books, and volumes 5 and 6 are available for pre-order.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/wandering-son.html
Jun 13, 2013 12:12 AM

Feb 2008
Well this is rather horribly underwhelming. I always wondered how it would end, but never did I expect it to end soon, nor do I expect a satisfying ending considering how things are in chapter 119. I'd certainly like some reasoning behind this.

EDIT: And after reading 120 and 121, I can see that yeah, the ending pretty much is coming. But alas, it is a story about life, and the only way such a story can end is in death. The manga may no longer go on, but the story will never truly end... Still, I feel an emptiness, knowing that I won't be looking for new chapters anymore.
DamonashuJun 13, 2013 12:32 AM
Jun 13, 2013 2:59 AM

Sep 2009
I had original watched the anime and decided to read the manga to see more of the story (because I enjoyed the anime). Unfortunately, the last few chapters have been disappointing to me and I can't imagine how this ending is going to be satisfying.
Jun 13, 2013 2:53 PM
Jan 2009
GarLogan78 said:
New_Username said:

It isn't in limbo...Volume 4 was just released by Fantagraphics Books, and volumes 5 and 6 are available for pre-order.

I know.

It shouldn't be the price it is and it shouldn't need 6 months to translate a manga volume when they're 8~ behind. Relatively speaking, for me that's limbo. It inspires little confidence and I hesitate to pick up the volumes if I don't think it will be finished.
Jun 13, 2013 3:16 PM

Jan 2013
New_Username said:
GarLogan78 said:
New_Username said:

I know.

It shouldn't be the price it is and it shouldn't need 6 months to translate a manga volume when they're 8~ behind. Relatively speaking, for me that's limbo. It inspires little confidence and I hesitate to pick up the volumes if I don't think it will be finished.

Fantagraphics do make really lovely good quality books though. Considering it's hardcover and your average paperback manga will set you back ~£8 it's not really that steep in comparison?
Especially when you think about the difference in price between normal books in hardcover and paperback (Usually £18 and ~£7 respectively)

The scanlation has been varying degrees of passable throughout so I'm curious to see how the official version compares
Jun 14, 2013 1:07 AM

Jul 2008
katenosh said:
New_Username said:
GarLogan78 said:
New_Username said:

I know.

Fantagraphics do make really lovely good quality books though. Considering it's hardcover and your average paperback manga will set you back ~£8 it's not really that steep in comparison?
Especially when you think about the difference in price between normal books in hardcover and paperback (Usually £18 and ~£7 respectively)

The scanlation has been varying degrees of passable throughout so I'm curious to see how the official version compares

To me "limbo" seems like a state of nothing happening or something. Like a purgatory.

I personally think the books are worth it though. At rightstuf you can buy each one for ~15 dollars instead of ~20, and like katenosh said they are hardcover. They are also larger than normal manga releases.

I do understand your concerns though. At the rate they are going it will be like 2018 or something when they release the last volume, which is ridiculous if it ends in Japan in 2013.
Jun 14, 2013 7:25 PM
Jan 2009
katenosh said:
New_Username said:
GarLogan78 said:
New_Username said:

I know.

My average manga volume is more around the £6 mark I find. I've no experience with Fantagraphics (which was another source of concern), but I may have to pick one up at some point to see how they justify that price.

There's stock issues where I would typically order my stuff for volume 5 which released on the 13/6;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Wandering-Son-5-Shimura-Takako/9781606996478 - "Currently unavailable"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wandering-Son-Book-Shimura-Takako/dp/1606996479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371262844&sr=8-1&keywords=wandering+son - "10 - 12 days" @ £13.99

Alarm bells ringing in my head, it's just a bit odd.

Amazon.com have the release date as September and volume 5 is 3-4~USD more expensive than the other volumes.

EDIT:
GarLogan78 said:
To me "limbo" seems like a state of nothing happening or something. Like a purgatory.

I personally think the books are worth it though. At rightstuf you can buy each one for ~15 dollars instead of ~20, and like katenosh said they are hardcover. They are also larger than normal manga releases.

I do understand your concerns though. At the rate they are going it will be like 2018 or something when they release the last volume, which is ridiculous if it ends in Japan in 2013.

Didn't notice the 2nd page.

I will purchase a volume at some point to see if it's worth the price tag.

Admittedly I didn't check the release date on the fantagraphics site you linked before until just now, and they're putting it down as August for volume 5 which is going to make it 7~ months between volume 4 to 5, and retailers don't have consistent dates.

It's all a bit weird, but I really do want them to finish it. It was always going to be a hard sell.

TOFFEECRISPJun 14, 2013 7:52 PM
Jun 17, 2013 7:21 AM
Jul 2010
Damn! After Gakuen Alice's last chapter on June 20, now you tell me Hourou Musuko too?? A shame, real shame.. :((
Jun 17, 2013 7:32 PM

Jul 2012
why it end so quickly, the same time many anime are too too too long to prolong its end. But it is time to reading it :)
I had never heard any news for my hometown for many years, everything there like dell wood grass is the same except me. My grand mother also say that: The two apple do not drop and hit at one head.
Jun 22, 2013 6:47 PM

Dec 2010
Crikey. I think Takako is giving up.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
4 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
6 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.