Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2009 11:45 AM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be much discussion of this series, as this looks like good fun so far.

Gun battles, werewolves, ethically ambiguous characters (the scientists who were keeping Cheza confined in a bubble weren't exactly stereotypically evil/unconcerned with human suffering). This has got my attention anyway.
fedaykinJan 7, 2009 12:53 PM
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 14, 2009 2:13 AM

Oct 2007
There aren't werewolves. The wolves turn into humans or have human forms so they can survive.

I love the plot for this series. Its very sad.
Jan 14, 2009 4:32 AM

Dec 2008
Sorry, I don't mean to pick a meaningless argument, but wolves who have human forms and are healed by the full moon (that's right isn't it?). Surely we can agree that this has a lot to do with the traditional myth of werewolves even if they are just referred to as "wolves"?

:)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Apr 28, 2009 2:20 AM

Feb 2009
Love this series. I really like how each character is introduced in a manner that keeps you wanting to know more about them. Each single character seems interesting and well defined with good depth.

Oct 27, 2009 7:29 PM

Jun 2008
Silverhammer said:
Sorry, I don't mean to pick a meaningless argument, but wolves who have human forms and are healed by the full moon (that's right isn't it?). Surely we can agree that this has a lot to do with the traditional myth of werewolves even if they are just referred to as "wolves"?

They are wolves, even if you go by myths. As Kiba stated in the first episode, the human shell is not real. The wolves are living a lie. Those affected by Lycanthropy (modern myth) become werewolves only during full moons and have no control of themselves. They revert to a wild wolf. The wolves know exactly who they are, and have full capacity of thier mental state at all times.
Dodecahedron-O24Oct 30, 2009 7:58 PM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Dec 3, 2009 3:32 PM
Dec 2009
Yeah they aren't werewolves =D Their transformation doesen't seem to have to do anything with the full moon.. but rather for survival in a future world devoid of nature.
Wolves managed to greatly evolve over time haha. The whole idea is pretty sad, but very interesting.
It's also interesting how such animals (known to travel in packs) are now pretty much alone in this world.
Although they do seem to be forming groups. Either way, this seems like an interesting watch.
May 7, 2010 10:48 AM

Apr 2010
I hope I get to see Hige and Kiba kick some ass next episode! xD

Jul 13, 2010 12:53 PM

Mar 2009
"If I find a wild deer somewhere, I'll chase it for you." =D Hige is so nice.
Jul 23, 2010 6:11 AM

Feb 2009
This is incredible... I'm already addicted, the story is really one of those that gets you in a way you can't stop watching.

Oh and the OP and ED music is amazing as well
Nov 21, 2010 8:44 AM
Jun 2008
sbyrstall said:
Silverhammer said:

They are wolves, even if you go by myths. As Kiba stated in the first episode, the human shell is not real. The wolves are living a lie. Those affected by Lycanthropy (modern myth) become werewolves only during full moons and have no control of themselves. They revert to a wild wolf. The wolves know exactly who they are, and have full capacity of thier mental state at all times.

Lycanthropy also refers to transforming into any animal at any time, not just wolves on the full moon. Some werewolf legends include deliberate transformations as well as wolves who kept their sanity and human emotions - folk legends often contradict each other, depending on their social relevance. Since they're a bunch of shape shifters, who transform from wolf to human and back again and gain power from the full moon we can call them werewolves.

Great episode, can't wait for the next one.
Jul 6, 2011 12:23 AM
Jul 2010
Very intense episode.

The masked guy who broke in, I can't say for sure he's a villain. By the outfit and the voice it certainly seems so. But his actual actions thus far have been the non-fatal incapacitation of research personal and the awakening of a test subject he seems to know. With a simple flip of perspective, it could be considered a heroic, bloodless rescue.

I like Hige a lot. He's funny but not a useless side-kick. His actions are a bit more subtle than the other wolves, and behind that carefree attitude is a lot of mystery. It's an interesting dynamic to have, partnered with a straight up badass like Kiba.
May 14, 2012 3:14 PM

Feb 2012
So Toboe is a lycanthropic version of Lennie. Lovely.
Nov 20, 2012 11:53 PM

Jun 2009
Not sure who that guy with the mask is, but I'm definitely intrigued here. I thought those people died, though? Guess not. Also, I really liked the scene where Toboe caught the bird and unknowingly killed it and then proceeded to cry and turn into a wolf right in front of the girl. At first I thought it was creepy, but then I realized he didn't know he killed it and I felt bad for him.

And, I don't think they are psychically human. I think that the human form is just an illusion and they are actually wolves in form. The sheriff guy, for example, saw a paw print left by Tsume in episode one. And, Tsume biting that same guy instead of just laying his hands on him like it appeared to us...is just two examples.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 3, 2013 7:40 AM

Jan 2012
Simply amazing. I want to know more about that masked guy.

Mar 20, 2013 7:14 PM

Aug 2007
Easily one of the most memorable episodes in the whole series.
I love that Toboe shows his affection towards humans, as well as his puppy side.
I have such a hard time picking an absolute favorite in this series, but Toboe is up there along with Hige and Hubb.

May 14, 2013 1:36 PM

Sep 2009
Intense episode. Looks like the guy's ex-wife survived (shown in the next episode preview). Wonder what Kiba and Hige will say to Darcia. Also want to know the story behind Cheza.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Aug 6, 2013 1:31 PM

Aug 2012
I don't like that their human forms are merely illusions, at it seems to be a plot hole.
Well whatever, I love this anime so far.
Aug 12, 2013 2:16 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hige seems like a nice friend :) I was surprised like Kiba when Hige went into the jail cell. And Toboe...he's really like a pet dog, the way he tried to get the girl's bird but didn't realize he accidentally killed it, then he starts crying. Well I guess he's more like a little kid if anything. I'm wondering what the wolf hunter guy has against wolves. Why are wolves so hated? Lastly, that masked guy o_o
Oct 23, 2014 7:21 PM
Jun 2013
The excitement is building nicely. I also really like the characters. I'm anxious to see how they develop and make their way around in the series.
Nov 7, 2014 11:36 AM

Sep 2014
I thought Toboe was a girl, and then he spoke and I was like WUT
Jul 24, 2015 7:35 AM

Feb 2015
I was little when this anime came out and I must say after watching the first two episodes I wish I had watched the series sooner. I actually like all the main characters so far and that's rare for me...
Jan 14, 2016 9:09 PM

Jul 2013
Wait... How many main characters are there again? All those wolves? very interesting, can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 29, 2016 3:00 PM
Apr 2013
The simple fact that Toboe managed to survive till now is amazing because goddamn what a clueless kid. He chased those crows to kill and eat them (I suppose) but when he chased the eagle he didn't know he could end up killing it? I don't think he's paying much attention to himself. Then again, he is just like a lost puppy.
On to the next episode!
Apr 25, 2016 8:26 AM

Mar 2010
More and more wolfs pop up wonder how many there will be.. While the first episode didnt impress me i quite liked this one 4/5

Next please =P
Sep 1, 2016 12:32 AM

Jun 2016
Not impressed at all. Every character is very weak and the pacing is ridiculously slow. Slow pacing = / = bad but very little happening within 40 minutes does. The characters are seeming to appeal to the 12 year old girl who loves hot boys, wolves and yaoi shippings right now and nothing else. Couldn't care less about anything that's going on within this story because its not giving me a reason to, hoping the characters are explored a lot more and given some personality + some worldbuilding starts up.

I would drop this already if it wasn't so well received but w/e I'll stick with it and see why people like it so much.
Feb 8, 2017 8:26 PM

Mar 2016
Dodecahedron-O24 said:
Silverhammer said:

It's probably silly to comment on a 7.5 year-old discussion, but why not? To me, the series is new.
Anyway, I think the distinction is that Wolf's Rain features wolves who can take human form. This is opposite the normal werewolf mythos, wherein a human takes a wolf's form. I'm sure there is more to learn after episode 2.

In general I'm liking the series a lot.
-- Rich
May 4, 2017 4:00 AM

Jul 2008
Oh Toboe, you loveable pup. That was sad. It's been so long since I've watched this I've forgotten how they are able to change into humans.
Jul 19, 2017 11:19 PM
Sep 2015
r0kus said:

Anyway, I think the distinction is that Wolf's Rain features wolves who can take human form. This is opposite the normal werewolf mythos, wherein a human takes a wolf's form.

Another, just as big distinction, is that these wolves aren't actually taking human form - it's just an illusion or hypnosis. Their body remains 100% wolf 100% of the time.
Apr 20, 2021 1:51 PM

Jan 2021
I love this anime, it never fails to disappoint me,
Sep 23, 2021 12:29 PM
Apr 2018
18:00 - 20:15 -----> Favorite Scene, Epic Music!

Thank You!
Feb 20, 2022 9:13 AM

Jun 2016
I ain't sure what Toboe was expecting when he tried to catch the bird, but regardless that scene was too hilarious. Leara's initial reaction and subsequent lack of reaction to the whole situation was priceless. That vacant stare was golden, lol.

Kiba and Hige's plan leads to a confrontation with this so-called Darcia, who has taken the Flower Maiden Cheza. What does Darcia intend to do with Cheza? Hmm. Darcia might be a noble. In this world, I have yet to understand what being a noble entails, but I'd hazard a guess and say he is one, atm.

If everyone knew Tsume was different, why the fuck did everyone follow his orders in the first place. Either way, Tsume is alone now unless Toboe sticks around with him.

Jun 21, 2022 5:43 PM

Dec 2018
i have no idea what's going on
Feb 11, 2023 11:16 AM

Jun 2020
Another really good episode. The animation and style is absolutely gorgeous, and the story seems to be heading in an obscure and hidden direction -- I do have some theories as to what the story might be, which I hope is wrong.

My only gripes with this show so far are that the dialogues are not natural enough, some characters fall under stereotypes, and that the pacing can be a bit out of place in a few scenes, the bird scene for example happened too fast out of nowhere and the music accompanying it made it even more spontaneous and confusing.

Otherwise, excited to see where this goes.

Apr 9, 2023 4:44 PM

Aug 2017
Liked this episode too, I hope the next episodes are good too,
So I guess that lord Darcia is the guy with the mask,
It seems Cheza and Hamona have the same condition, they have the same eyes,
The hunter guy seems to have lost his family due to wolves, that's what I believe because they showed an old photo of him with his wife and son/daughter, also his dog looks so close to wolves, maybe he's a wolf in disguise ???
LOL Tobo and Hige looks like brothers in their wolf form, it's good that Tobo has that bracelet to separate them apart,
Let's see what will happen next
Sep 25, 2023 8:52 PM
Dec 2021
this anime is weird, I'm not sure what is going on and I'm not sure I like it but.......its utterly intriguing
Nov 13, 2023 9:25 AM
Nov 2023
My favorite anime forever. This masterpiece changed my life.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wolf's Rain Episode 10 Discussion

hanachan20 - Feb 5, 2010

29 by Kayarbee70 »»
Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Poll: » Wolf's Rain Episode 26 Discussion

diamond9393anda - Oct 10, 2009

46 by paruno »»
Mar 20, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Wolf's Rain Episode 25 Discussion

diamond9393anda - Oct 10, 2009

24 by Skydis »»
Feb 9, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Wolf's Rain Episode 20 Discussion

redbuzz - Oct 9, 2008

33 by shahab92 »»
Feb 8, 3:46 PM

Poll: » Wolf's Rain Episode 8 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 8, 2010

23 by Skydis »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.