Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 10, 2013 5:31 PM
Mar 2012
Hey,so straight to the point what are some good underrated anime? if you stalk my list you'll see that its mostly made up of mainstream anime and thats what i usually watch but when i ran out of romcoms someone recommended me an anime (i think it was brighter than the dawning blue) i realized how underrated it was and wanted to watch more than the limited mainstream ones. I just dont know much underrated anime cause most of them are pretty obscure and when some (or 10000) people tell you an anime is good, you watch it so dont blame me for watching alot of mainstream anime.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 10, 2013 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
You could try watching Ghost in the Shell. lol well it has a high score, but I don't think you hear about this anime everyday. So yeah, you could start with this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/467/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Stand_Alone_Complex
Jun 11, 2013 4:32 PM
Mar 2012
lol ive heard about that one quite a bit , isnt it considered a classic? thanks for the rec though
Jun 11, 2013 4:35 PM

Jan 2013
how about Escaflowne? lol no prob xD
Jun 11, 2013 10:54 PM
Aug 2011
What sort of thing are you after in your shows? I'm going to list fairly "normal" ones that you might enjoy. Personally I like more "weird" shows, so if you want more quirky stuff, I can recommend stuff I've seen.

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack On Titan) that's the one everyone is raving about this season, it's the only currently-airing one I'll put on this list.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - this might be a good choice for you.

Toaru Majutsu no Index - this one has comedy, lots of action, very crisp modern art-style, and a good soundtrack. Slightly-future setting with magic vs scientifically-developed psychic powers. Fairly fast-paced story.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - "generally" held to be better than Mirrai Nikki (although of course opinions may vary), simiilar levels of crazy. A definite mind f**k. Be prepared to watch a LOT of episodes before they explain what's going on. it's basically an extremely convoluted murder-mystery with lots of crazy and violence. It's an interesting series in that the entire series is about uncovering all the secrets behind a specific set of murders (with a LOT of red herrings and odd clues), rather than the more traditional "murder mystery" type show.

Bakuman - the anime adaptation of a manga written by two guys which is about two guys who become manga authors and try to get an anime adaptation. I really enjoyed this show. The manga is by the same guys as Death Note.

Cowboy Bebop - a classic sci-fi one, great soundtrack.
cipheronJun 11, 2013 11:03 PM
Jun 23, 2013 3:49 PM
Jun 2013
I'm not sure of your taste but you could try Time of Eve it's a really short anime that is rather unknown, and maybe yakitate japan, it's a comedy I don't hear many people talk about. That is all I could think of, I'm more of a manga fan than anime. :)
Jun 23, 2013 10:10 PM

Jul 2012
As near as I can tell, "underrated anime" is anything that no one within your own hearing is currently raving about. Shingeki no Kyojin? Come on! That one is the hottest new show currently running. Everything mentioned so far in this thread was very popular and mainstream at the time. None of it is actually underrated.

It isn't just a problem in this club. Since most people here at MAL have only been watching anime for a few years most shows older than that become "obscure" because few people talk about them anymore. God nose, there is a lot of anime out there. Japan is every bit a prolific as Hollywood. There are dozens of new shows every season and this has been going on since the '50s. Nobody can watch it all and still have something resembling a life.

[/rant] Sorry. Hope I didn't step on too many toes there. Let me make it up to you by making a short list of anime that was genuinely underrated - good stuff that never did get much attention:

Bartender
Chuuka Ichiban!
Dennou Coil
Eve no Jikan (Movie)
Flag
Freedom
Gallery Fake
Hanada Shounen-shi
Hen Zemi
Hipira-kun

Well, maybe not so short. That takes us through 'H'. I could talk about any of them but this post is already too long. If you have questions just ask.
"I just hope the good lord knows, what this life is all about
'cause I'm in the same position as when I started out.
Now I know there's folk in hospitals who are far worse off than me,
Oh, but that don't mean to much when my spirit don't feel free."
- Mark Twain

Blues lovers go here. Jazz lovers go here. Cowboy Bebop music lovers go here.
Aug 9, 2013 8:09 PM

Apr 2013
Chrono Crusade and narue no sekai are both crazy good and both underated

Aug 9, 2013 9:08 PM

Jul 2012
You're right about Chrono Crusde, ReKLeZZ. I don't know Narue no Sekai, but rou're probably right about that one, too. I want to know why you say so. What did you like about them and why should others see them?
- Mark Twain

Aug 11, 2013 12:21 AM

Oct 2012
I would recommend Blood-C. Most people dropped it very early cause they thought it would simply be another "monster of the week" or something like that. If they only knew... :P

Saikano is one of my favorite dramas and I have NEVER seen it being suggested.
Aug 11, 2013 11:13 PM

Jan 2012
Kalypze said:
I would recommend Blood-C. Most people dropped it very early cause they thought it would simply be another "monster of the week" or something like that. If they only knew... :P

Saikano is one of my favorite dramas and I have NEVER seen it being suggested.

I'd like to recommend Blood-C too, but what happened later in the series wasn't quite enough to offset the ridiculousness and boredom I endured during the majority of the first half. Although the sequel movie was a treat for the eyes, it didn't help the cause either.
Aug 13, 2013 1:04 AM
Aug 2013
You could watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn. It has a slow start, but the slow start gives you many laughs and gets you to know the characters. After that, it only gets better and better, and is now one of my favorite animes. it has 203 episodes though so i can understand if you won`t watch it. But PERSONALLY, it is definetely worth the watch.
Aug 13, 2013 1:31 AM

Jul 2012
Definately, TL. All you One Piece fans should love Reborn.
- Mark Twain

Aug 14, 2013 11:20 PM
Aug 2013
TrafalgarLaw127 said:
You could watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn. It has a slow start, but the slow start gives you many laughs and gets you to know the characters. After that, it only gets better and better, and is now one of my favorite animes. it has 203 episodes though so i can understand if you won`t watch it. But PERSONALLY, it is definetely worth the watch.
Aug 14, 2013 11:21 PM
Aug 2013
same as magi a lot of pp haven't hear of magi before an magi has a nice story with a season 2 coming up this fall
Aug 15, 2013 1:15 AM

Jul 2012
Actually, it's Magi season 3 this Fall, DarcO, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Edit: You were right, it is season 2 this Fall. Season one just took two seasons to air with a gap in in the middle.
GrinfilledCeltAug 15, 2013 9:05 AM
- Mark Twain

Aug 15, 2013 2:23 AM
Aug 2013
Me too bro
Aug 16, 2013 1:18 PM
Aug 2013
DarcOrion215 said:
same as magi a lot of pp haven't hear of magi before an magi has a nice story with a season 2 coming up this fall
I have seen magi. Altough KHR just placed a bigger impact on me.
Aug 18, 2013 7:59 PM

Jul 2012
Other than they are both good, Magi and Reborn are very different anime. There isn't a lot of point in comparing them. Magi is an exotic fantasy story loosley (very loosley) based on the Arabian Nights stories and Reborn is a very silly comedy involving the Italian mafia.
- Mark Twain

Aug 19, 2013 10:01 PM

Apr 2013
I'd personally think the anime "Denpa Teki Na Kanojo" (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5177/Denpa_Teki_na_Kanojo) is rather under appreciated. It's a very mature themed mystery, supernatural-esque, and psychological anime, though only being an OVA and only having two episodes, I was rather thrilled and engaged the entire time.
Aug 19, 2013 10:18 PM

Jan 2012
@Xivenr
Yeah. That one was pretty good. I kind of forgot what happened, but I can say that the main girl left quite the impression on me. That one's pretty heavy with the psychological themes.
Aug 19, 2013 10:25 PM

Apr 2013
It's that psychologically heavy that all you remember is what it wants you to remember, and glad you share the same appreciation.

Another one I think is under appreciated is Tasagore Otome X Amnesia (Dusk Maiden of Amnesia) not as psychologically disturbing though still presents that element, though this one presents a more unique element in the romance department along with the supernatural,
Aug 19, 2013 10:28 PM

Mar 2012
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!

^ This :p underrated and not very popular contrary to belief.
Aug 19, 2013 10:33 PM

Apr 2013
^^Is that so? Well I've seen it and I'd say it really is rather a good anime though in my perspective it started falling out when they grew up but I still liked it overall and perhaps it is under appreciated as you say but I appreciate it so no it's more appreciated now
Aug 19, 2013 10:53 PM

Mar 2012
Xivenr7724 said:
^^Is that so? Well I've seen it and I'd say it really is rather a good anime though in my perspective it started falling out when they grew up but I still liked it overall and perhaps it is under appreciated as you say but I appreciate it so no it's more appreciated now

Haha this is a funny statement to make :p but I was giving a suggestion to the OP. Your statement made every anime ever made appreciated because I am sure the creators of every anime appreciated their creation. But I do see your point vaguely. hehe
Aug 19, 2013 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
Right...
Aug 20, 2013 12:39 PM

Jul 2012
Denpa Teki na Kanojo looks good, Xivenr. I'm getting it now. If you like psychological dramas, Monster is tough to beat. I may be a bit intimadating at 74 episodes and it does drag a bit in spots, but it will lead you along and keep you on the edge of your seat. I always say Hitchcock would have been proud to put his name on it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann! was a load of fun, Etyo. It isn't possinle to take the Japanese meme of "believe in yourself" to greater extermes. =0D
GrinfilledCeltAug 20, 2013 6:09 PM
- Mark Twain

Aug 20, 2013 5:51 PM

Sep 2011
Aug 20, 2013 6:11 PM

Jul 2012
That's a real good one, KK, but I think it's more for hard-core fans.
- Mark Twain

Aug 20, 2013 8:47 PM

Apr 2013
GrinfilledCelt said:
Denpa Teki na Kanojo looks good, Xivenr. I'm getting it now. If you like psychological dramas, Monster is tough to beat. I may be a bit intimadating at 74 episodes and it does drag a bit in spots, but it will lead you along and keep you on the edge of your seat. I always say Hitchcock would have been proud to put his name on it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann! was a load of fun, Etyo. It isn't possinle to take the Japanese meme of "believe in yourself" to greater extermes. =0D

Yeah, I've seen numerous episodes of Monster way way back, It really is rather thrilling, thanks for the rec.
Aug 20, 2013 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
Monster was a strange release, too. The Sci-Fi channel showed the entire thing dubbed, but only the first 15 episodes were ever released on dvd. Not hard to figure out why. They wanted $50 for those 15 episodes. I didn't buy it until recently at a much better price - still a little steep knowing that I'll never get the rest of them.
- Mark Twain

Aug 21, 2013 1:50 AM

Apr 2013
Well not to be a pirate or bad influencial person but you could always make your own dvd's from online.
Aug 21, 2013 5:31 PM

Jul 2012
I already have to fansubs...come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I downloaded the dubs, too, but my tv and monitor are one and the same so, in my case, there is no need to burn them into dvds. I bought the 15 because I could and I like to support the industry when I can.
- Mark Twain

Aug 21, 2013 9:58 PM

Apr 2013
alright then, understood
Aug 22, 2013 2:00 AM

Mar 2012
GrinfilledCelt said:

I tend to disagree it can be enjoyed by anyone this was one of my first anime that I ever watched and I gave it a 10/10 I have re watched it a couple of times over the years and I still enjoy it. If you have the enjoyment for it you will enjoy it. Give Welcome to the NHK a go!
Aug 22, 2013 1:20 PM

Aug 2013
I saw bartender ,... an anime that had caught my eye did not watch it yet , but seeing it here in one of the list , it should be oke !

for me I like to recommend an underratted anime aswell and it is called,,,,,

Speed grapher ! http://myanimelist.net/anime/198/Speed_Grapher

check it out !!

and red Garden :) not yet started it but seems like one I would like

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1601/Red_Garden

and Kaze no stigma !

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1691/Kaze_no_Stigma
Aug 22, 2013 3:54 PM

Jun 2012
What a coincidence I was just thinking that Kaze no Stigma might be considered Unappreciated.

Thanks for recommending some anime, I might look into Speed grapher.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Aug 22, 2013 5:09 PM

Jul 2012
A lot to comment on here.

Etyo said:
GrinfilledCelt said:

I tend to disagree it can be enjoyed by anyone this was one of my first anime that I ever watched and I gave it a 10/10 I have re watched it a couple of times over the years and I still enjoy it. If you have the enjoyment for it you will enjoy it. Give Welcome to the NHK a go!
I didn't mean that there is anything wrong with Welcome to the NHK. I really liked it too. I'm mildly surprised you sw it as your first anime and you're still here. I was just warning people not to show it to wogs. They'll just look at you funny and back away slowly. =0D

I believe Speed Grapher was the first series I watched fansubbed without knowing anything about it before hand. I remember it fondly.

Red Garden was very good. It took me several episodes before I decided that I liked it and I'm glad I did.

Kaze no Stigma has been on my watch list for a long time.

Bartender is different. It's very good if you can swallow the idea that just the right booze mixed just the right way can solve people's problems. =0D
- Mark Twain

Aug 23, 2013 4:12 AM

Apr 2013
Welcome to the NHK is great, it pretty much presents a lot of elements you wouldn't expect a anime like that would have,

Also Kaze no Stigma is just plain AWESOME, too bad the creator died
Aug 23, 2013 8:19 AM

Aug 2013
yes I ag ree I saw Welcome to the NHK in almost one go (2 days ) it got to me because I could relate in some way ...(that might not be a real good thing) It has a more 20s aproach the guy was a smoker and otaku and believed in conspiracies ...it had to much relatable stuff for me not to watch , it was awesome and a recommendation for those in there 20s who have been watching anime some time , thus good and underatted !

I am now watching Gilgamesh if someone has a review or opinion ready on this one please assist i am now watching the 6st episode !
Aug 23, 2013 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
hooo I got an other one ! Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/7762/Yondemasu_yo_Azazel-san.

It is a dark comedy anime where you follow a demon summoning detective, his assistant, and their demons ! it will make you cry whilst laughing ! good luck !

Night Head Genesis ...(long been one of my favorite finds but highly underrated (6,96) )

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1243/Night_Head_Genesis

it deserves an 8 story is well done as is the plot tho It sometimes might be a shitty interaction between the brothers (main protagonists ) bu tthe short stories are awesome *introduction of the characters ,as is the build to the plot and the end is also amazing !
AbolicAug 23, 2013 8:51 AM
Aug 23, 2013 11:17 AM

Jul 2012
Yondemasu looks good. I'll get that one.

I saw Night Head Genesis*. It was really good at first and then it just didn't go anywhere. At least that's the way I remember it. It's been long time.

* Another one I had neglected to add to my list.
- Mark Twain

Aug 23, 2013 6:23 PM

Jun 2013
well, I was going to recommend only a few but I ended up creating a bit of a list... a few of them are edging towards the more popular side, but some of them are truly underrated.. of course if you like these depends on your tastes, but there are a few different genres here.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10918/Kowarekake_no_Orgel_%28Movie%29 <-- Very good for a movie
http://myanimelist.net/anime/817/Tactical_Roar <-- for some reason has quite a low score, but I really liked it...
http://myanimelist.net/anime/570/Jin-Roh:_The_Wolf_Brigade <-- this might fall udner the category of "classic" but I dont think many have actually heard of it
http://myanimelist.net/anime/357/Bokusatsu_Tenshi_Dokuro-chan <-- funny, funy stuff
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1079/Armitage_III <-- One of the first anime I watched was the first movie of this series, especially loved the ending, but anyways, the series is just as good.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1699/Romeo_x_Juliet <-- again maybe on the more popular side but much more popular anime have been put down in this topic already..
http://myanimelist.net/anime/856/Utawarerumono <-- one of my favorite outright. VN is ever better. Just watch it. Now
http://myanimelist.net/anime/290/Seikai_no_Monshou <-- This, along with Banner of the Stars I, II, and III, is really one of the best space combat/romance combination anime ive had the pleasure of watching.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/483/Kurau_Phantom_Memory <-- surprisingly a very very good anime. Great story
http://myanimelist.net/anime/4177/Bounen_no_Xamdou <-- havent heard too much about it, at least recently since its been out for a while, but a very good anime
http://myanimelist.net/anime/58/Blue_Gender <-- great great anime. Think Starship Troopers!
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1022/Generator_Gawl <-- similar to S-cry-ed if you've ever seen it
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1230/Innocent_Venus <-- passed upon a lot of the time. Very good anime
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3407/Blassreiter <-- ive heard quite a few people dont like it, but I do, so im recommending it.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/11837/Zetman <-- a more recent airing anime. Badass protagonist
http://myanimelist.net/anime/207/Lodoss-tou_Senki <-- This is a classic, and deserves every bit to be called one. A bit older so it is often passed up.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/266/Gunparade_March:_Arata_Naru_Kougunka <-- surprising brutal.. which really makes it that much more interesting
http://myanimelist.net/anime/782/Gasaraki <-- The standard for realistic and feasible mechs. These are not Gundam style, which makes this anime all the better and a more interesting watch IMO.
Aug 23, 2013 6:46 PM

Jul 2012
That's quite a list, Tsuki, with links, too. Quite a bit there I haven't seen. I'll have to look harder at it later. It's good to have someone around that isn't afraid to look at the old stuff.
- Mark Twain

Aug 23, 2013 11:46 PM

Apr 2013
Out of all listed, I've only seen about two , Zetman and the one too long to list
Aug 24, 2013 5:11 AM

Jun 2013
Xivenr7724 said:
Out of all listed, I've only seen about two , Zetman and the one too long to list

Great, then you should have a few to keep you busy for a bit then!
Aug 25, 2013 10:18 PM
Dec 2012
One anime I believe is needless that show needs more appreciation sure it has some stupid humor but thats what makes it funny
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6030/Needless
Aug 25, 2013 11:34 PM

Jun 2012
theaznkid360 said:
One anime I believe is needless that show needs more appreciation sure it has some stupid humor but thats what makes it funny
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6030/Needless

I definitely agree with you there, your the first in a while to even mention it.

btw if you want you are able to delete your own posts, no big deal though.

Aug 25, 2013 11:48 PM

Jul 2012
I'm able to delete his own posts too. =0D

Needless is on my Watch-Someday-If-I-Ever-Find-The-Time*sigh*List. That's a big list.
- Mark Twain

Aug 26, 2013 12:00 AM

Jun 2012
GrinfilledCelt said:
I'm able to delete his own posts too. =0D

Needless is on my Watch-Someday-If-I-Ever-Find-The-Time*sigh*List. That's a big list.

Yeah it's definitly worth watching, funny with some good action.

Oh i see throwing your admin weight around huh ;)

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Show Us Your Collection ( 1 2 )

GrinfilledCelt - Aug 9, 2013

94 by GrinfilledCelt »»
Mar 22, 2017 10:00 PM

» Noctis Watches Over

Kashmius - Sep 3, 2016

0 by Kashmius »»
Sep 3, 2016 5:50 PM

» Anime that you like more than you should, Vice versa.

Fallenkingzero - Aug 17, 2013

25 by Kashmius »»
Sep 2, 2016 6:27 PM

» So this club is ruined forever?

Elom - Jan 7, 2014

3 by GrinfilledCelt »»
Jan 19, 2014 10:56 PM

» Why does this club suck?

Marxel - Jan 6, 2014

13 by DarkTempest »»
Jan 10, 2014 12:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.