Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Basilisk
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 25, 2012 6:19 AM

Feb 2010
no matter how many times i watch the series i always end up crying at the last episode. i will remember both of u gennosuke & oboro forever .. thats the least thing i could do for giving us such a great series
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Oct 10, 2012 1:23 PM

Jul 2011
At first, the cliched storyline with the ultra obvious foreshadowing in the first episode and the one trick pony ninjas, kept me from fully getting into it but eventually it actually started grabbing my attention. Some died way too fast (Okoi), some just died way too slow (Slime guy). It reminds me of some hardcore live action medieval japan drama rather than some super ninjas series. Love it though, most of the characters were fleshed out, it wasn't just infinite shurikens and lots of talking fighting, and it wasn't a purely wrong or right story.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Feb 6, 2013 10:25 AM

Jan 2012
I had the feeling everyone will die in the end. Well, the whole show was brutal and bloody so it's nothing to be surprised about. In general the show was good, I enjoyed the huge amount of fights, it was a great watch.

Feb 19, 2013 1:29 PM

Jan 2013
ownosourus said:
I had the feeling everyone will die in the end. Well, the whole show was brutal and bloody so it's nothing to be surprised about. In general the show was good, I enjoyed the huge amount of fights, it was a great watch.

woah, i think last show I watched I commented on the episode discussions recently after you.. Im trying to think of what it was though.

anyways, IMO I didnt like the ending too much. Over all, it was a fitting end to the anime. But I just didnt enjoy the ending too much. Like someone said, they could've died in a more fitting or robust way. OR, they couldve tried staying alive haha. Overall, I enjoyed this anime. The action was great and it was just what I was looking for. Something bloody and a lot of fights. I felt they enphasized on character building too late though, like in the beginning it was mostly fighting and they tried to get us to bond with the characters in a backwards sense, almost trying to make us feel bad for most of them after they were already dead. Like they kinda went the sad/drama route a little late after it seemed like they werent going to so much. Normally, the beginning episodes are the boring ones that make us feel bad or relate to the characters later in the show when things go crazy. I feel it was a little backwards in this sense. Not completely, but still.

A good watch regardless
Mar 8, 2013 7:28 AM

Jun 2012
Hey guys, if you think the ending or the whole anime or I don't know what looked like Romeo & Juliet, consider something being in Oboro and Gennosuke's shoes.
Everyone who helped them, their comrades, were willing to kill themselves for them. They all together started something, even if it was unfair. Even if they didn't know the reason why they had to kill each other, they started it. How could Oboro and Gennosuke abandon this thought while everyone was killed for their sake? It was predictable yes, but it still was beautiful. It was predictable, but I stsill cried a Hell lot. Predictable or not, they were both very conscious people and couldn't let their people's lives and deaths go to waste. I personally admire them for that.

My happiness is his unhappiness, and his happiness is my unhappiness.
-- Sankarea
Jun 5, 2013 9:09 PM

Jan 2013
I hate sad endings like this but I can't really complain since I saw it coming.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jul 7, 2013 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
it would be sad ending if Gennosuke lived by himself, but as he killed himself, actually their wish came true. to be as one. so their souls ended together as they died. i cried, it's very emotional, their love... but actually i find it as happy ending.
this one's masterpiece for me!! everything about it is just wow!! and that opening with Onmyouza... <3
sorashikaJul 7, 2013 9:46 AM
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Aug 10, 2013 5:39 PM

Dec 2010
Meh, I didn't like the ending. Even if it's a good way to end the story I still didn't like it. It was so irresponsible of Gennosuke to suicide and leave his clan in the lurch..

Hattori Hanzou's son is truly a laudable guy.

1. Characters. +1. There were some respectable and cool characters, I guess. My favorite was Saemon.
2. Atmosphere. +1. Atmosphere was of top quality at all the time. It was unpleasant at the same time, but that was the point of the story, I guess.
3. OST. +1. Yeah, the anime had good OP and EDs and some other good tracks, I guess.
4. Animation. +1. It's a great for the time it comes from. I like it even nowadays to be honest.
5. Background story. Was there even a background story? I guess so. Still, it's not something worth praising.
6. Storyline. +1. The story was really consistent and interesting.
7. Ending. Meh, I predicted it years before I started watching the anime. Also it was illogical.
8. Drama. +1. Well, the drama was in high amounts at all the time, I guess. It was very decent as well.
9. Overall affect. +1. The anime left me with very important questions and thoughts I've been thinking on throghout the duration of the series. I was following the clans' story with concern until the very last one died. Some deaths even affected me I guess you can say I was caught in the story way deeper than I've anticipated. Overall I love the story and I feel really bad about its' conclusion.
Overall score: 7/10.
Aug 19, 2013 1:56 PM

Jul 2013
Certainly was a beautiful story that I enjoyed the entire way through. The ending made a lot of sense though in that as long as they both lived hatred would still continue towards each others sides, even as Oboro and Gennosuke showed they had no intent on continuing the bloodshed others fought in name of them regardless thinking it almost a "secret will" they had. Even knowing the truth perhaps they knew no one would trust in them, after all it is easier to go on believing what you know than accept a new truth.

Regardless, I loved it and honestly didn't get emotional until this episode. Granted its a shame most deaths in this series seemed a little "who didn't see that coming"
Sep 5, 2013 6:23 PM
Jul 2013
I loved this series, it's one of my favourites and I think it is so under-rated :/
Oct 8, 2013 5:48 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The best ending possible. Very bittersweet. I think all the people complaining that they didn't fight the ruling, don't understand that the Shogun's orders were absolute and that disobeying them would mean the certain extermination of both clan's by Hattori Hanzo's men.

Oboro's character was irritating at times, but the last couple of chapters she got her act together. It's a shame she didn't stand up to Tenzen before.

The only thing about the series I decidedly disliked were the inhuman looking characters. I thinkt hey could have been depicted more realistically and this would have given the series an even better score. having said that, it's a shame that the anime industry produces so few of these seinen kind of shows.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 1, 2014 5:38 AM

Jan 2008
Very decent anime for the second time I have seen it I did notice some things that I did miss the first time I watched it but other then that I was sad that they didnt but did end up together in the end but I mean together Alive I just hope the Japanese dont make a habit of ending anime this way it would always be to depressing then but good well great anime in my opinion but yeah.
Jan 27, 2014 5:53 AM
Jan 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
This is my third time through Basilisk, having already watched it once and read the manga. I was aware of what was and wasn't added in by Gonzo, this time around.
I felt the boat section lasted far too long thanks to the needless backstory of the buff Kouga character. I also didn't care much for Hyoma getting his own little half an episode backstory, or Tenzen's backstory being explained without being explained. But, once again, I found myself impressed by the subtle characterisation differences made to Saemon's character (after he killed the two female Iga ninja)--those two 'after kill' lingering moments being my favourite parts of the show. And I'm always game for some sword fighting between the hero (Gennosuke) and villain (Tenzen) getting inserted.

My thoughts exactly! Great series and I loved seeing the clans from both sides and I loved the parts with Saemon :D I just wish Gennosuke was more emotional before she stabbed herself and also when he wanted her to get a sword in the mountains.
He was so grim and quiet! Anyway prob 8/10 for series and ending
Apr 25, 2014 11:15 AM

Dec 2013
Episode itself was boring in the first half but the ending was sad and beautiful. Too bad I spoiled it myself by looking up every character on wiki and accidentaly saw Oboro's 'status' column... 8/10 for series
AizixApr 25, 2014 11:20 AM
May 12, 2014 2:31 AM

Oct 2013
The people complaining about the ending don't really "get" Basilisk. The entire series has been dark, depressing, corrupt, merciless, and cruel. That is the point of the series: tragedy. Any type of happy ending whatsoever would have ruined it.

And, for me personally, the romantic aspect of the tragedy makes it all the more compelling.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 12, 2014 1:57 PM

Aug 2011
chthonianghost said:
The people complaining about the ending don't really "get" Basilisk. The entire series has been dark, depressing, corrupt, merciless, and cruel. That is the point of the series: tragedy. Any type of happy ending whatsoever would have ruined it.

And, for me personally, the romantic aspect of the tragedy makes it all the more compelling.

If I were Genousuke... I would totally just plain murder everyone out of revenge. Although I might let the nanny hag live just to make her suffer.

Actually, no, he should have just teamed up with Oboro, take down the entire Shogunate and proclaim themselves supreme leaders... not like anyone could have stopped them.
Jul 26, 2014 2:11 PM

Jun 2009
What a typical Japanese novel-like story. (Well, it is based on one as I know, but still...) I 'risked' this anime, hoping that it might has a different kind of ending than the usual and predictable shinjuu pattern. Well, now I feel I wasted another 24 episodes's time of my life.
However, the art was ok - except the character design, which is not really for me - and the OSTs are good. Just it is too long, could be made in 13 episodes.
Don't belive in yourself! Belive in me who belives in you! (TTGL) XD ...LOVE and PEACE!! ^_^
Feb 1, 2015 5:45 AM

Sep 2014
‘’Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it.’’
Mar 28, 2015 5:01 PM
Oct 2013
I didn't like the way it ended. I was hoping for something similar to one of them living on and changing the ways of both clans and leading them to a more peaceful, normal life outside of the shadows/mountains. Yes, something similar to the live action movie's ending but that movie was horrid IMO.
Apr 17, 2015 11:29 PM

Sep 2014
I watched the live action movie, Shinobi: Heart Under Blade or w/e about ten years ago (which sucked balls, especially compared to the anime) so I already knew the ending. But the way the anime depicted it was very beautiful.

Great series. 9/10
May 10, 2015 9:14 PM

Oct 2014
Very good series and a most fitting ending. I am glad they opted for such an ending any other thing would've ruined the series.
" Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future. "
Cloud Atlas
May 16, 2015 11:24 AM
May 2015
[attention - spoilers]

A great piece of art. I wish other animes had such depth and strong storyline. It's amazing how authors pictured the phenomena of the blind hatred between people, when both sides think they're 'different' and treat the other side as animals rather than humans, although virtually being identical human beings and living their life the same way. This story is always present in real life, assuming the fact that the world is drowning in the hatred and blood.

I love the connection between Gennosuke's idea (stopping pointless hostility) and his doujutsu. He's never harmful except when threatened. There's a balance between two rival sides and it was important that there would be no spoiled one -- both clans don't regret to use nasty tricks and all sorts of deception when it comes to slaying enemy ninja. So it's only a question of your choice which side to support.

There's a special part inside my heart for Hyoma's character. Imo, this full of wisdom character is the authors gentle way to touch the topic of Zen. He's the image of absolutely enlightened person or absolutely Present, (if you know what I mean) who doesn't even need any eye vision. I don't agree with people calling the part where Hyoma and young Gennosuke are practicing a 'filler'. The culmination of that episode actually pictures the moment when Gennosuke obtains his true inner power, it is when they reach the top of the mountain and boy refuses to remove his eye bandage because he can feel and enjoy the moment without seeing details and analyzing them with his mind.

I think that the idea of inner power is central in this anime. Those who 'burst into tears' after the scroll story comes to an end didn't actually get the main idea. Great love between Gennosuke makes them confident that their loving souls will reunite. The ending says that the spiritual power of lovers is so great that there's no necessity to care about their Earth life that much. They finish it with honor and respect to the gore of the fallen, doing their best for their loved ones and their clans, then passing away and slowly floating down the stream hugging, which is actually a very touching metaphor for proceeding their travel in the Eternal as the single entity henceforth.
bmxseshMay 25, 2015 2:37 AM
May 27, 2015 1:36 PM

Oct 2014
Can't say I'm surprised it ended that way, considering all of the comparisons to "Romeo and Juliet" I'd read about before watching this, but it was well done in my opinion. I just wish they had had their eyes open at the same time once at the very end :( Depressing, fitting and touching end to the series.

Overall, good ending to a good series. The action was really good but some things were confusing, misplaced, or slow in sections, which held it back a little. The music was pretty good, the animation was good, but did look a little dated (can't be helped though) and the characters were for the most part good. Would have liked some of the "humanizing" scenes and flashbacks and episodes to come early on so I actually liked them before they died instead of after. 7/10 for the series.
jdimaria3May 27, 2015 1:39 PM
Jun 15, 2015 10:00 AM

Sep 2013
Such a depressing ending, they both died so that others could live in peace. It was a really great series though.
Jul 30, 2015 6:20 AM
Jul 2015
Ph3n0m said:
Oboru is such a dumb bitch. So she gets most of her people killed either by not acting, or by acting stupidly, then of course she kills herself. She essentially loses the war for her people in multiple ways and still the Iga win, thanks to Gennosuke. He was literally the only character left with powers, but now he&#039;s doomed his people. There are two whole villages of ninjas with no powers, and now one ( the Iga) is favored by the shogun. Since no other character in the entire series had the "pacifist to the point of being unable to function" mindset of Oboru and Gennosuke, I think it&#039;s safe to say the Koga are screwed.

On the first part, I have to disagree with you there. Oboru is not the cleverest, most decisive or active of characters, and she definitely wasn't the leader the Iga clan thought they needed, but considering her situation (wanting peace, being in love with Gennosuke, loyalty to her clan family and most importantly, her inability to control her powers) and her upbringing (her grandmother deliberately sheltered her from much of their bloody history and tragedy), she actually made the best choices that she was able to.

Oboru is a different character from the others in her world and as an audience, when you're watching someone so unlike all the other characters, it can be difficult to empathise with them. But, if you look at Oboru through the eyes of her own clan, despite the fact that she sucked pretty much at anything ninja-related, no matter how hard she tried, none of the Iga resented her for it. Even her grandmother wasn't disappointed, because Oboru had other qualities which made her loved by her people (as aware of her weaknesses as they were). She was the most likely kind of leader to bring about lasting peace (something which almost all of the characters secretly half-wanted (except Tenzen), despite their hate for the opposing clan, and the knowledge that with peace came the end of their way of life), and she had the strength/ability to become leader through her eye-piercing power thing.

By shutting her eyes, on one hand you could treat it as a metaphor for her avoiding her problems and hiding away from the whole mess altogether, but on the other, you could also argue that it was her best course of action.

She knew how dangerous her power was - her grandmother explicitly told her that she was a danger to others, especially her own clan and the people she loved the most. Because she couldn't control that power, and because she realised that she was going to be used as nothing but a tool by Tenzen, she chose to cut herself out of the picture. It's obvious that she did not want to be used as a weapon against the man she loved, but she was also keenly aware (and I DO think this played a big part in her reasoning) that she could hurt her own clan too (not just through being an incompetent fighter on the battlefield, but through her own inner turmoil making her actions unpredictable). Not wanting to hurt those she loved (her own clan and especially Gennosuke), she did the only thing she could think of, a move recommended by her own grandmother (who had also warned Oboru about the dangers of Tenzen). The next best thing for Oboru would have been death, but she wasn't ready to die and it would have been a major morale blow for the Iga anyway.

I do think there was an element of selfishness in her personality, Oboru didn't want to harm Gennosuke, but if that was all that motivated her she could have gone after and begged Gennosuke to allow her to switch alliances and fed him information about the Iga (that would have proved to Gennosuke that she didn't know about the scroll). She didn't do that because the majority of her decision to blind herself was through clan loyalty and to try and save herself from an immortal dick (Tenzen).

Let's also not forget that all these events happened in TEN days, and for almost half that time, Oboru had NO idea what was going on. How could anyone expect her to do a complete 180 degree turn on her ideals (peace between clans and love of Gennosuke) in such a short period? Even if she could, to turn on Gennosuke would have been wrong, Ogen and Danjou's story proved that in the first episode.

I thought Oboru was actually quite brave. She freaking blinded herself, and she annihilated the unkillable Tenzen (who was supposed to die after being beheaded but STILL. CAME. BACK *shudder*), and then shoved a blade into her chest.

Admittedly, that last action was her weakest, because it meant her clan lost, but I think by that point, she was tired, desperate and frankly, was so sick of everything that she just didn't give a shit. She loved Gennosuke, the people she loved in her clan were dead, and she just didn't have the heart to kill him. It wasn't in her nature to kill someone she loved.

Her suicide was also very in-character when it came to her and her relationship with Gennosuke. Their partnership was very traditional, despite the fact that she was a clan leader, when she was with Gennosuke, he very much wore the pants in the relationship and she took a more submissive role. She was the loving girl who admired him, and he was the one who cherished her and made everything ok (remember when she tripped and lost her shoe and he carried her home?) Her suicide was her way of telling Gennosuke how devoted she was to him, and he, naturally, fixed her mistake (her death not only screwed over her clan but also had wide implications for the shogunate), and tried to honour her by writing on the scroll that Iga won.

As for your point that Gennosuke doomed his clan, while I would agree, I believe he was actually being quite altruistic, since it was the better grandson which was being represented by Iga. The grandson which Kouga represented was older and dimwitted. Gennosuke was sacrificing the few for the many, and at the same time, he got to honour Oboru for her sacrifice.
charliechaplin2Jul 30, 2015 6:24 AM
Aug 10, 2015 10:59 AM
Jul 2012
Redinel said:
You should hold your tongue, try to think in first place. There's nothing wrong with death motive based on Shakespeare's play.
It's not about it's source but how it is being shown to us - and that's most important. It doesn't matter about what you're saying yet how you do it.
So just please reconsider your opinion.

I, personaly find it as beautiful and most fitting ending ever. Yet I have a confession to make: I hate Romeo & Jouliet with all I have! (Just to remain diplomatic :D)

Cheers for you all ^_^

Well that comment was filled with arrogance. How disgusting.
Sep 29, 2015 1:03 PM

Jan 2012
truly sad ep,she sacrificed herself ,what a love better than titanic.

Oct 13, 2015 3:46 PM

Jun 2015
A masterpiece right here! Beautiful anime. Loved every second of it! Classic ending.
Read Toriko!
Dec 29, 2015 4:41 PM

Jul 2015
So sad, i almost cried.....
Feb 18, 2016 11:00 PM

Jun 2011
That was really sad, a little more push and I would've been crying my eyes out. It's a shame that both sides couldn't talk it out, and the result is as such, a near extinction of both clans.

What made the death of both Oboro and Gennosuke so beautiful is the fact that there was a third party who oversees the entire thing. To the outsiders, it may seem that both Kouga and Iga were crazy, slaughtering each others so mercilessly, but Kyohachiro knows, he knows how deep the relationship between Kouga and Iga goes, and it's not just hatred that both Gennosuke and Oboro bore for each other. It adds another layer of emotional impact to their death. Loved it.

I wonder though, what did he mean by the roster the late Ieyasu held? Does that imply that Kyohachiro's "dad" is responsible for Ieyasu's death? But why would that matter? It'd be great if someone could clarify it for me. ^-^

Now, the one thing (or 2 actually) that is actually detrimental to the series in my opinion is Tenzen. This guy single handedly ruined the second half of the series for me. The first time he came back to life? Cool. Second time? Ok. Third time? Just die already, wouldn't ya.

I would also prefer that the series use less of sexual appeal, either to gain viewers or to seduce the perverts in the show, I just don't prefer those kind of series in general. Some of the perverts in the series really did make me feel somewhat uncomfortable, especially Tenzen's rape attempts.

Another thing is that in the second half, there's a noticeable difference from the first half, and that is the forced characterization/backstory on a dying character, Hyoma, Hotarubi, Gyobu for example. I don't necessarily think that those were needed at all. I am not one to buy into last minute attempt at "sob stories". Oh ya, speaking of flashback, there were a few misplaced flashbacks, like the one showing the Iga ninja and the Kouga ninja. It felt like a side story adapted right in the middle of an arc. The actual content was nice though.

So to sum it up, imo first half > second half, first half was fast paced and tense, and there were tons of actions; second half was slow in favor of characterization.

P.S. The show could've been sadder if they put more focus on the forbidden relationship between Oboro and Gennosuke, like a soap opera would, but I suppose as it is, it has its own charm too.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 4, 2016 2:15 AM
Feb 2012
The least thing i can do is to not forget u forever "Gennosuke <3 and <3 Oboro".. :(

sr467May 4, 2016 2:19 AM
Jul 1, 2016 2:30 AM

Feb 2016
Gennosuke couldn't bear to kill Oboro, on the otherhand he didn't want her to feel guilty for killing him. So he purposely tried to create as much animosity as possible (generalising her as the enemy, writing her off as threat to kill, showing relief in her supposed demise etc.), leading up to the end of the eventual duel, he may even have purposely organised a pyrrhic victory against Tenzen to make it believable.

That is my take on it. So it is a very Romeo and Juliet ending considering all Oboro had to do was kill Gennosuke in self defense, two lives need not perish.

What I'm still confused about is how mercilessly Danjou (unmarried) killed Ogen (unmarried), he showed absolutely no intention either of killing himself. That there is the difference between this pair and Gennosuke/Oboro who both had the intention of taking the fall. What I can't understand is what happened to create that difference.
Cloud_IllusionsJul 1, 2016 2:37 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 10, 2016 2:01 AM

Jul 2008
Predictable end, but in no way did it detract from my love for this show. Solid 9/10 now I got to buy this on Blu Ray.
Oct 25, 2016 1:04 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty good overall. I enjoyed the action scenes and liked how brutal this show could be. Kinda reminds of Shigurui. We need more modern shows that show violence to this level. Ending was also somewhat predictable but still pretty solid.
Feb 3, 2017 1:00 PM

Sep 2014
I've got kinda mixed feelings from this ending. Im a bit sad that it ended like this, but it was obvious since the middle I guess. Maybe I shouldnt have binge watched it.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 11, 2017 12:20 AM
Aug 2014
Isn't it a good thing that the ending was predictable? That just means the ending is in line with what came before. Gennosuke and Oboro both were not on the front lines and were well protected because of their status. So it makes sense they would be among the last ones standing. Neither of them could kill the other either. So this was one of the few possible endings without some Deus Ex Machina.
Apr 12, 2017 11:30 PM

Mar 2012
Hands down, the worst anime I've ever seriously watched. I just haven't ever watched a show that was more blatantly terrible. I can't possibly say anything different from what I've wrote before....first show in a incredibly long time i've ever felt strongly enough to comment on so many episode threads, so that's a good thing, I guess.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 24, 2017 9:31 PM

Apr 2016
If you get emotional and take it as you see it as most of the witnesses of the duel have, you would think that both Gennosuke&Oboro died. But if you look carefully at the events you can see that they did not die, at least in the anime. In the manga, I believe they really died. Wiki even says both of them committed suicide. It is very subtle but you can connect the dots yourself.

- The immortality of Tenzen is a mystery. Even Ogen noted that it does not seem to be ninjitsu. When Oboro used her piercing eye, It is subtle, but it seems that the immortality of Tenzen transferred to her including the past memory. Notice both the thing inside Tenzen and Oboro cried which proves that the memories have been passed to Oboro. You could see that Oboro could not believe what she saw and became aware that something had happened. Remember Ogen never told her anything and kept quite on what was within Tenzen! She suddenly requested that that she does not want to fight unfairly but what she really want is to create some sort of show to fake their death. I think, this is because she refuse to accept that both clans needs to hate each other eternally as it was revealed to her.

- When Oboro pierced herself, Gennosuke did not even used to his power. Oboro made sure that he would not or else she would have chopped off her head, which would be fatal even if you are immortal (remember what Tenzen did when he was controled, It was automatically aimed at his head). Gennosuke need to activate his ninjitsu, it is not set in automatic mode. Oboro was already on the ground when Gennosuke saw her. If he really want to kill himself, he could have done so when he saw Oboro but NO, he make it sure that the duel comes into conclusion so that those people will leave them alone for good. Both clan could not care less about politics as emphasized over and over by some of the characters on both clans. Gennosuke is not even bothered when he learned the truth. Gennosuke however was determined to kill of all Iga including Oboro but when he learned that Oboro blinded herself voluntarily, he had an instant change of heart. Right when he asked her if she had a sword. (Kagerou was a fool though, it was her chance to stay with Gennosuke but she blew it. Gennosuke was willing to stay with her just as she requested her early on and give up on Oboro. For some petty reason that they have nowhere to go but most probably because she knew that she is about to die.)

- As for Gennosuke, notice how he tried to end his life (which I doubt), the sword is not even close to his heart, if you look closely. It was even emphasized at the close-up which shows it is near the belly but I doubt he is even pierced due to lack of blood. Also, why do you think he let their bodies get washed out of the water? It is their escape route! As a matter of fact, you can assume the their bodies were not recovered at all nor do you see their grave even at the end.

- Also another clue, the sword that they used did not even pierced out of their backs and is obviously emphasized and also notice that there is not much blood either, unlike the other deaths we see. The water did not even have blood on it which is not normal.

- The roster is also a clue, it was missing including the hawk. It was hinted that it was above the entrance (inside the box) and with Masahiro shown before it was revealed, it seems that he also know something about the truth that Gennosuke&Oboro did not die so for him it was technically a draw being the referee.

In my opinion, this is done to cater both those who love extremely tragic ending as well as those who love impossible happy ending unfold at the very last minute. In this case, you have to really look very closely at the hidden clues.

-> It does not matter if everything else is BAD as long as the PLOT/STORY is GOOD!
-> TRAGEDIES are for MASOCHIST so count me OUT!
-> TRUTH sometimes HURTS!
-> | Reddit | FanFiction |

Aug 19, 2017 9:19 AM

Aug 2014
mannnnnn this show is wack as hell. I was rooting for this series, we were all rooting for this series.
Aug 31, 2017 12:01 AM
Oct 2011
What a fucking shit series, if i wanted to see tragedy i'd watch real life, atleast it has better plot.
Oct 27, 2017 1:14 PM

May 2015
If an opponents attack is stare based stop looking them in the eyes! Is what I was yelling throughout this series.

I kinda wish they expanded Saemons character and the guilt? regret? he was starting to feel a little more because it seemed like Hotarubi and Akeginu's deaths effected him. I thought it was going to be built up as a story line but it kinda went no where.
CtrlZEDOct 27, 2017 1:18 PM
Dec 25, 2017 9:58 AM
Dec 2017
First, the animation was not that great at all. Normal human cannot cut skulls with katana not unless a sword with a heaviness and momentum. Exagerated screaming looks just over acting. The timing and sound system was always delayed. Too much tears oozing like river, you cannot depict wether if its crying, is it in pain? The jutsu or ninja techniques were repeated, exploding faces is redundant. Their faces and hair looks too much alike. For sub character like Tenzen to attemp to rape oboro is not a samurai , I prefer his comrades to act like that. They should have highlighted other characters who have interesting skills other than that naked man staying on the wall. The Flash back looks scattered. They could have made that parasyte living in Tenzen more interesting than making it a mystery. When oboro san s eyes were unsealed and memories came flashing it was a bit confusing as to why at a point blank her ocular powers destroyed Tenzen while reconnecting its neck. Well I am an animation based fan I prefer the story and manga. Over all it was a nice story, again another story from tokugawa , the age of samurai where great wars come from two both sides. I love hearing about the old Japanese folklore,there are thousands written. Both died for their selfless act in order for the meaningless killings to end.
Dec 28, 2017 10:36 AM

Apr 2017
This was truly an amazing anime, and very underrated. Goes to show once again you can't ever trust MAL-ratings. Basilisk deserves 8.50 at least.
I especially appreciated how there was no fully 'good' or 'evil' side in the clans war, and the characters were great! Shame so many great characters had to die...

Also, Basilisk is in my top 3 when it comes to soundtracks for anime series.

Jan 17, 2018 11:37 PM
Mar 2017
I guess that Igan Ogen (the old woman) tried to inculcate her successor Oboro all the possibilities to be able to fulfill her love relationship with the descendant of Kouga, Gennosuke and thus be able to finish the story that they could never have and to sign the peace between the two clans

They ended up like their grandparents :'C

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Jan 25, 2018 7:43 PM

Dec 2016
The ending had R&J vibes. I like the fact that the show didn't involve Deus Ex Machina shit, once you die there's no returning back(Except Tenzen)
Feb 8, 2018 10:41 AM

Feb 2008
Putting Oboro and Gennousuke aside, I'm mostly upset about Kagero's death. That was just so unnecessary and ugh I'm still in pain over this/her. </3

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Mar 14, 2018 11:55 AM
Dec 2014
8 instead 9 because of the end.
Mar 20, 2018 6:10 AM
Mar 2018
Maybe they survived after the river washed then to a bank or something coz they made a sequel and those two kids are implied to be theirs
Mar 31, 2018 4:55 PM

Nov 2013
Why are people commenting as if the death of Oboro and Gennosuke was the tragedy? The true tragedy was the death of Tenzen in the end, since he was the only interesting character that this anime had, and I was basically just enduring the screen time of the other characters waiting for his scenes during the whole episodes.
Though, to be honest, I really can't have any respect for Tenzen, even though he had a godlike voice(Hayami Show) and was basically a vampire who didn't need to drink blood and didn't need to avoid sunlight, he was really a failure almost all the time. Perhaps there's still some excuse for his rape attempts, considering the context, it's still arguable that he genuinely did them just to lure his enemies, that he had more in mind, and wasn't really planning to rape to begin with, but that was still a creepy way to do it, and he can't have my respect for that. Also, all his deaths were all pathetic, and I don't understand how he lost to Kouga in the end even though Kouga was blind. I mean, if I remember correctly he was older than 200, so he had time more than enough to train and have a superhuman strength. It's ridiculous that after all those years he still had the strength of a normal swordsman and even lost to a blind man. I really expected him to somehow revive again in the last episode doing something extraordinary. And I'm still hoping that he will somehow revive and appear in the second season, though chances are really very small for this to happen.
And more importantly... why didn't he stop looking at Oboro to easily succeed in his revival!? Did she also have hypnotic powers that forced him to keep looking at her?
ColtBuntlineMar 31, 2018 6:25 PM
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Aug 9, 2018 2:41 PM
Jan 2018
The last episode reminds me of the end of "Romeo and Juliet." What's more, is that Gennousuke regained his vision, only to find that his beloved Oboro killed himself, only because she didn't wanna fight him for the sake of their love, and that he took his own life so they'll "Never be apart" as long as their up in heaven
Brandon_PaulsonAug 15, 2018 7:26 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 17 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

18 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 8:03 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 16 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 14, 2009

24 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 15 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

15 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 14 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

28 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 11 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 13, 2009

23 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 6, 3:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.