Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 25, 2013 12:07 AM
May 2013
ShadowlQQ said:
Alright, dunno why that was rated so high, it was boring and confusing.

So all I understand is that this guy trying to wake up people's psychic powers to save the Earth, dunno why he tried to do this by going into ONE school, he should of like...became president or something

So that ending....what...? Ya I dont understand this >>>>>

And the dad or old man w/e dies...?

TL;DR Just here to complain how bad this show was

You sound boring an confusing, you are just an underrated person and don't get anything at all :|.

"he should of like...became president or something"

What are you a freaking idiot?
Jun 25, 2013 12:25 AM
Jun 2008
I'm going to flat out say that if an adaptation can only be understood by people who've read the original then the adaptation is obviously missing something. Brushing off comments about the adaption being confusing by pretty much telling them they should go and read the original doesn't change the fact the adaptation has a fundamental flaw to it. Particularly when the discussion I've seen so far has indicated that the original material isn't available for most people.

I liked the art, liked the characters, liked the sound and I'll admit that I enjoyed the piece, but the plot stunk. I'm not saying its the worst plot out there, but this one grated on my nerves because I felt like there was something major missing from it that had been left out. The fact I see people who've read the original source saying that it would be less confusing if I had read the material the movie is adapted off of only confirms this for me.

I'm also not saying this from some bias against Sunrise either. This is the only series of the studio that I've seen that I have a gripe with. Something important was left out. Anyways... off to the other threads to see if I can't figure it out.
Jun 25, 2013 12:32 AM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think people really overlooked that, but then I think a lot of people missed the core theme of the movie entirely and saw it all as just a jumble of cliches, which is common when things get thematically complex.
To be honest, I find this is one common problem with people who dislike certain shows. And we see it from Gargantia to this show and, dare I say, Bakemonogatari too (Yeah, I know how you feel about it, but as its big fan who thinks it changed a lot of how I view anime and LN in general pardon me to say it).
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 25, 2013 1:54 AM

Dec 2009
5/10 what the fuck. I didn't skip anything and still really didn't understand this.
Jun 25, 2013 2:10 AM

Sep 2008
Unlike most people, I liked this movie. Though there were a few elements in the movie that weren't necessary. Like the Pokemon for example.

I'm sure there are people who stopped watching the movie as soon as the credits came on and missed the actual ending. Too bad for them.
Jun 25, 2013 3:33 AM
Feb 2009
wht the actual fk
Jun 25, 2013 4:50 AM

Jan 2012
Seriously Sumerian and Illuminati symbolism seem to be taking over modern anime right now. I'm not surprised most people are like wtf, it's not exactly a coherent message, the layer upon layer is there for anyone who has done a little research themselves though. The singularity, solar winds, 3rd eye, sacred geometry etc etc
Jun 25, 2013 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
ShadowlQQ said:
Alright, dunno why that was rated so high, it was boring and confusing.

A 7.33 is high? Thats an average score for anime in the MAL database(which is 7.22).

But ye, I think you should just stick to SAO and shows similar to it.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jun 25, 2013 8:56 AM
Dec 2012
So, a quick conclusion from what I've watched just now;

Seki = have similar trait with the grandpa, dunno if it's really him from the future though cause at the
end he's getting some-kind of heart attack and Kyougoku did mention time travel put a lot of strain on your heart, so I'll leave it at that.

Kyougoku = basically he is his father? maybe the first time he time travel, he fell in love with Harukawa and brought her to the future then the current one who time travel realized that and avoided from bringing her to the future. This might be some kind of repeated loop. I dunno, too confusing to think.

Harukawa = ^ Kyougoku's mom

Ryouura = First, she has physic power and used it to time travel to save Seki but died in his stead. Then the Seki that she saved maybe used time travel to save both of them too and the grandpa sealed Seki powers and maybe memories too.

Dunno what's the deal with Seki's sister though, might be grandpa/future Seki's daughter whom he brought from the future after Ryouura died in the future. Maybe that's why Seki's parents was never shown or mentioned?

TL;DR : This is all just infinite loop, don't bother thinking if you can't handle the brain smasher and just enjoy the show ^^

Anyone who've read the novel or maybe understand the full story can tell me whether I'm wrong or on the right track?
RaigrexJun 25, 2013 9:00 AM
Jun 25, 2013 9:44 AM

Jun 2013
Raigrex said:

Seki = have similar trait with the grandpa, dunno if it's really him from the future though cause at the
end he's getting some-kind of heart attack and Kyougoku did mention time travel put a lot of strain on your heart, so I'll leave it at that.

Kyougoku = basically he is his father? maybe the first time he time travel, he fell in love with Harukawa and brought her to the future then the current one who time travel realized that and avoided from bringing her to the future. This might be some kind of repeated loop. I dunno, too confusing to think.

Ryouura = First, she has physic power and used it to time travel to save Seki but died in his stead. Then the Seki that she saved maybe used time travel to save both of them too and the grandpa sealed Seki powers and maybe memories too.

Dunno what's the deal with Seki's sister though, might be grandpa/future Seki's daughter whom he brought from the future after Ryouura died in the future. Maybe that's why Seki's parents was never shown or mentioned?

TL;DR : This is all just infinite loop, don't bother thinking if you can't handle the brain smasher and just enjoy the show ^^

Anyone who've read the novel or maybe understand the full story can tell me whether I'm wrong or on the right track?

i thought so too. this is very confusing and leave a lot of plotholes. But i am pretty interested in this story, so probably going to rewatch it.

at first half i understand that kyougoku wants to save the world by having as many psychic user as possible, but then some unknown detail factor such as

1.why do seki seems to know something about the future? so he is from the future?
2. so basically a person can only time travel twice in a lifetime, first to travel back in time then to travel to his own era. But kyougoku's mother can only travel once, the second attempt she died, is this because her heart is weak?

TL;DR: I am asking questions, so i think there is no TL;DR conclusions LOL
Jun 25, 2013 9:56 AM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think people really overlooked that, but then I think a lot of people missed the core theme of the movie entirely and saw it all as just a jumble of cliches, which is common when things get thematically complex.
To be honest, I find this is one common problem with people who dislike certain shows. And we see it from Gargantia to this show and, dare I say, Bakemonogatari too (Yeah, I know how you feel about it, but as its big fan who thinks it changed a lot of how I view anime and LN in general pardon me to say it).

Well a lot of it looks like the usual her behavior on MAL too. Whenever those types see a show is getting pummeled they jump in with their one liners to take part. In general yeah todays anime fan very much does not like having to read between the lines which is what this movie is kind of about both in terms of theme and in terms of direction.

Then again people didn't seem to mind doing this for Garden of Words, but then again that has a big name behind it that people want to succeed and name is everything so that also probably had some herd behavior going for it only in the positive. That's just another reason I find anime fandom kind of shitty today cause the right established name makes such a huge difference and people want to keep praising the same old established names from recent years whereas I look at this, see a guy that is getting his first big break and first directing gig and I kind of want him to succeed. I felt he did a fine job other than expecting people to have read the book personally. It's clear there's room for improvement, but then that's to be expected.

I also swear some people are made at the movie because they expected some big psychic action battle piece based on the title and didn't get it. As we all know now few people on MAL like to take responsibility for their own expectations so that's clearly the films fault right. :/

Also this film actually has a pretty normal and agreeable rating, its other shit frankly that is largely over rated on MAL and skews the whole thing cause the average is around 7.5 /instead of 5.5 which would be more normal for such a large sampling size as several 1000 works.

Lastly there is a world of difference between a plot hole and something that is vague like who Kogyoku's mother is. There's subtle hints but that is not a plot hole though I guess its just the age we live in where people think anytime something isn't made expressly clear its a failing of the plot. I just find it annoying that people don't properly use the term plot hole anymore and its become a general catch all term. Very rarely is it ever used in the proper context or meaning anymore.
PeacingOutJun 25, 2013 10:25 AM
Jun 25, 2013 10:24 AM
May 2013
@Rawrdaysgoby - Iiirc, didn't researchers recently conclude that Venus De Milo really did have arms and people were just making things up? It's apparently just missing both of it's arms and we have enough evidence to say that it did probably have two arms (and an apple).

On to the movie... clearly the OST+Visual was unbelievable, but the plot was just all over the place. Too many loose threads and just too many holes. The unexplained elements were supposed to be explained by the book maybe (?)

A good movie shouldn't require you to know the original material to fully enjoy it. If, let's say, Star Wars was first a novel then made into the original trilogy which then did not clearly reveal that Vader was Anakin, then George Lucas just said go read the novel, kids. Would it have been nearly as enjoyable?

Or maybe it takes astrophysicist to figure this out, who knows.

But wow the animation and OST was just amazing. Just sad that it had so many holes. Would've been an amazing movie considering it had such good philosophy elements and great references as well. Just a disappointment. Pacing wasn't too good, but the animation at least made that excusable, but wow, just had so much unfulfilled potential.
Jun 25, 2013 12:35 PM

Jun 2009
For the first 50 mins, I thought this was on to something but then everything after that is full of bull it's hard to know what's going on anymore.

Like the animation and OST. Characters are decent albeit cliche but the story is a jumbled mess that I think Sunrise shouldn't made this a single episode movie.
Jun 25, 2013 12:52 PM

Jul 2010
Beautiful animation and sound track. Practically no plot. 7/10. I enjoyed the pace of the show though. And it made me somewhat sad towards the end
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Jun 25, 2013 2:49 PM

May 2013
I liked this movie. 8/10
Jun 25, 2013 3:02 PM

Feb 2011
Most likely the best anime movie I've seen in years. 10/10.
Jun 25, 2013 5:28 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:
symbv said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Well a lot of it looks like the usual her behavior on MAL too. Whenever those types see a show is getting pummeled they jump in with their one liners to take part. In general yeah todays anime fan very much does not like having to read between the lines which is what this movie is kind of about both in terms of theme and in terms of direction.

Then again people didn't seem to mind doing this for Garden of Words, but then again that has a big name behind it that people want to succeed and name is everything so that also probably had some herd behavior going for it only in the positive. That's just another reason I find anime fandom kind of shitty today cause the right established name makes such a huge difference and people want to keep praising the same old established names from recent years whereas I look at this, see a guy that is getting his first big break and first directing gig and I kind of want him to succeed. I felt he did a fine job other than expecting people to have read the book personally. It's clear there's room for improvement, but then that's to be expected.

I also swear some people are made at the movie because they expected some big psychic action battle piece based on the title and didn't get it. As we all know now few people on MAL like to take responsibility for their own expectations so that's clearly the films fault right. :/

Also this film actually has a pretty normal and agreeable rating, its other shit frankly that is largely over rated on MAL and skews the whole thing cause the average is around 7.5 /instead of 5.5 which would be more normal for such a large sampling size as several 1000 works.

Lastly there is a world of difference between a plot hole and something that is vague like who Kogyoku's mother is. There's subtle hints but that is not a plot hole though I guess its just the age we live in where people think anytime something isn't made expressly clear its a failing of the plot. I just find it annoying that people don't properly use the term plot hole anymore and its become a general catch all term. Very rarely is it ever used in the proper context or meaning anymore.

About expectations:

In terms of expectations, I would say it depends on the individual. For instance, I had a high expectation because of the author and the original story (novel). That is also why I was angry (very rare that I get angry) because I felt the themes of the story were not being conveyed properly to the viewers. To think back on my original comment, you can see I completely lost it. Because I actually cared about the movie.

About accessibility:

I personally do not believe that a true masterpiece should only be understandable to the select few who possess the intellectual capability to comprehend it. I believe a good work should be layered and offer good hooks across different depths of analysis. To me, this movie seemed like a missed opportunity to present the works of the author to the western viewers.

About interpretation and subtleties:

I am not a big fan of omitting too much information. Depending on the viewing habits of each individual, missing crucial information could lead to side effects such as not being able to relate to the characters. Of course, if you start doing a detailed analysis of the scenes you will be able to recover some of these information but only based on your interpretation of the events. However, as a reader/viewer I also want to know about the interpretation of the author/creator as well. I felt there was a severe unbalance in this case.

About ratings:

Despite me being angry, do I consider this a bad movie? Bad is such a generic word. Bad in what sense? Bad in the sense that I got frustrated at it yes. Is it bad compared to the usual generic harem series? Nope. If you look at it in that perspective, this movie is a masterpiece. However, does that mean all generic harems are bad? Nope. Because you don't expect the same things out of a generic harem series. The problem with ratings on MAL on something like anime (or media in general) is that there are too many different genres. It's nearly impossible to objectively compare between them.

About personal interpretation and perspective:

It seemed you abhor the Monogatari series. In fact, from one perspective, the Monogatari is pretty much a harem series in disguise. However, from another perspective, you can actually see the intricate interaction and exchange (play of words and circumstances) between the characters. In that sense, there is a delicate balance between the two. Sometimes, I feel the balance is lost, leading to some portions of it being no different from another generic harem series. However, when the balance is maintained, it is actually quite interesting. Did I like it? So-so. Not among my favourite series by far. It's a question of how well the balance can be maintained.

About Penguin-drum, did I enjoy it? So-so. Again, despite the symbolism, it's not among my favourite series by far. Same thing about Madoka, which also angered me on how irritable some of the characters were (which completely destroyed the series for me). What about Gargantia? Is Gargantia a bad series? Nope. In fact, it's actually above average if you look at it from an objective point of view in terms of execution and overall quality. However, that doesn't mean I was not disappointed by the direction it went at exploring classic SF themes. Despite that, it's still a good series, just not as good as it potentially could have been. Now what about something completely different like Valvrave? Despite the hate it gathers, I think it stands out from most of the series in the last year. Like you said, people overuse the term "plot hole", "trainwreck", "cliche", etc. without necessarily pointing out what the problem are exactly. To put it in engineering terms (I'm an engineer), it's like saying "system X is more efficient". I will frown very hardly whenever I heard a statement as generic as that. What part is more efficient? In terms of what? Even if you give me a percentage, what does that percentage mean or imply and why is this important or relevant? If the person cannot answer these questions then it means they are not really thinking when they came up with the statement.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 25, 2013 6:35 PM

Jun 2013
so some of you said this movie is good, mind explaining the story to the one who is confused?
Jun 25, 2013 6:58 PM

May 2011
Another one of those extremely beautiful films where I didn't particularly care about the characters. Just about the strongest feeling I had was being annoyed at the whole childhood friend who's all slap happy and made the guy doesn't notice her part. xD; But I guess it was nice that was resolved. Puck was always my favorite Gargoyl...er...Shakespeare character. But I didn't find his supposed equivalent in this to be that interesting.
Jun 25, 2013 7:06 PM
Jun 2013
Raigrex said:

I agree with most of this. I attempted to go into more detail but when dealing with time travel I have a hard time typing my explanation for things. So I will do a few of my own bullets.

Seki = grandpa - he ends up dieing at the end because they can only time travel once. If they are the same person that means 'grandpa' went into the past to watch over himself (This would be his second time travel). Then present day Seki goes into the future to bring back Kyougoku (This would be his first time travel). That is when it cuts to 'grandpa' dieing.

The way this works is that in 'grandpa's past no one time traveled back to his young self so at this point when he goes back to young Seki it would technically be his first.

Kyougoku - is sent back in time by his father and ends up falling for Haruwaka. Then is brought back to the future by Seki. All he really knows of his mom is she died lonely and that shes from the same time period as 'grandpa'.

Haruwaka - falls for Kyougoku. I agree this is probably the mom. Meaning this is the person Kyougoku's dad brings to the future. She most likely agrees to go, so she can search for Kyougoku. She dosnt find him, has a baby, and dies... you guessed it lonely.

Ryouura - time travels after Seki dies from falling while going across the gap between their house. By doing this she instead got hurt but it only breaks her leg. We learn this when the three of them are in Seki's room and when in dreamland.

Seki's sister - Throughout the movie something felt off about her. Her being his daughter works for me.

Btw, I haven't read the novel either.
NehtorJun 25, 2013 7:10 PM
Jun 25, 2013 7:32 PM

Oct 2007
wakka9ca said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
symbv said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

About expectations:

In terms of expectations, I would say it depends on the individual. For instance, I had a high expectation because of the author and the original story (novel). That is also why I was angry (very rare that I get angry) because I felt the themes of the story were not being conveyed properly to the viewers. To think back on my original comment, you can see I completely lost it. Because I actually cared about the movie.

About accessibility:

I personally do not believe that a true masterpiece should only be understandable to the select few who possess the intellectual capability to comprehend it. I believe a good work should be layered and offer good hooks across different depths of analysis. To me, this movie seemed like a missed opportunity to present the works of the author to the western viewers.

About interpretation and subtleties:

I am not a big fan of omitting too much information. Depending on the viewing habits of each individual, missing crucial information could lead to side effects such as not being able to relate to the characters. Of course, if you start doing a detailed analysis of the scenes you will be able to recover some of these information but only based on your interpretation of the events. However, as a reader/viewer I also want to know about the interpretation of the author/creator as well. I felt there was a severe unbalance in this case.

About ratings:

Despite me being angry, do I consider this a bad movie? Bad is such a generic word. Bad in what sense? Bad in the sense that I got frustrated at it yes. Is it bad compared to the usual generic harem series? Nope. If you look at it in that perspective, this movie is a masterpiece. However, does that mean all generic harems are bad? Nope. Because you don't expect the same things out of a generic harem series. The problem with ratings on MAL on something like anime (or media in general) is that there are too many different genres. It's nearly impossible to objectively compare between them.

About personal interpretation and perspective:

It seemed you abhor the Monogatari series. In fact, from one perspective, the Monogatari is pretty much a harem series in disguise. However, from another perspective, you can actually see the intricate interaction and exchange (play of words and circumstances) between the characters. In that sense, there is a delicate balance between the two. Sometimes, I feel the balance is lost, leading to some portions of it being no different from another generic harem series. However, when the balance is maintained, it is actually quite interesting. Did I like it? So-so. Not among my favourite series by far. It's a question of how well the balance can be maintained.

About Penguin-drum, did I enjoy it? So-so. Again, despite the symbolism, it's not among my favourite series by far. Same thing about Madoka, which also angered me on how irritable some of the characters were (which completely destroyed the series for me). What about Gargantia? Is Gargantia a bad series? Nope. In fact, it's actually above average if you look at it from an objective point of view in terms of execution and overall quality. However, that doesn't mean I was not disappointed by the direction it went at exploring classic SF themes. Despite that, it's still a good series, just not as good as it potentially could have been. Now what about something completely different like Valvrave? Despite the hate it gathers, I think it stands out from most of the series in the last year. Like you said, people overuse the term "plot hole", "trainwreck", "cliche", etc. without necessarily pointing out what the problem are exactly. To put it in engineering terms (I'm an engineer), it's like saying "system X is more efficient". I will frown very hardly whenever I heard a statement as generic as that. What part is more efficient? In terms of what? Even if you give me a percentage, what does that percentage mean or imply and why is this important or relevant? If the person cannot answer these questions then it means they are not really thinking when they came up with the statement.

I think the dialogue in Bakemonogatari is thinly disguised otaku pandering bullshit that is neither clever nor amusing (its popularity as well as its authors utterly baffles me to this day as everything I've written by him just lead to eyerolling) whereas here I at least got to appreciate all the references and tie ins to A Mid Summer Nights Dream that were clear to me. This is a preference though as I have little love for otaku culture but am a fan of poetry and theater.

Also I never said I think the movie shouldn't have to be accessible, that was actually one of the points I wholeheartedly agree the movie disappointed on towards the end. I just find the claim that the whole thing was an incomprehensible mess to be hyperbolic bullshit, I had zero trouble grasping the themes of the film, it was the time travel subplot, specifically the bits about Natsuki and Semi where I had issues. Unfortunately the withholding information thing as well as nigh impenetrable storylines are all to common in anime and kind of always have been. This believe or not I found easier to work with than some others I've seen. Ever watch A Tree of Palme for example?

You understand moderation, believe me when I say you are a rare treasure on MAL then. Basic human interaction and being able to combine more than one thought and emotion and convey it via some form of empathy and understanding of another's values is at a premium here, though I've already noticed this about you from our crossing paths in certain mecha threads.

Regarding certain hit buzzwords in the community I'll just say that if a person says a movie is chock full of x then they should have no problem defining and showing an example of x. I mean I assume we've all taken math classes here and understand the importance of proof.
PeacingOutJun 25, 2013 7:42 PM
Jun 25, 2013 8:33 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You understand moderation, believe me when I say you are a rare treasure on MAL then. Basic human interaction and being able to combine more than one thought and emotion and convey it via some form of empathy and understanding of another's values is at a premium here, though I've already noticed this about you from our crossing paths in certain mecha threads.

There are just some days where I just spout random non-sense too lol.

Maybe it's my engineering background that makes me somewhat flexible in thinking. I don't think there is only one way to approach a problem. I also think stepping back a little to change my perspective is a good approach. But this also means I am a bit more rational and less emotional. Thus, this influences my preferences to mainly hard and soft SF.

However, it is very difficult to have a good discussion on MAL nowadays. Just look at the Valvrave forums. I cringe every time I enter that forum. Despite its flaws (notably of excessive pandering), it is actually worthy of more interesting discussions than what is currently on MAL.

About Monogatari: yes, it's a series specifically made as reference to modern Japanese otaku culture. I wouldn't call it necessarily an excessive pandering yet. Pandering of course but that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. After all, the modern Japanese otaku culture in itself is rather young and not extremely well-developed yet. You might not find much depth in it. I personally believe that given more time and development cycles, it will eventually become more matured and well-established than it currently is. However, with the current half-baked reactions from semi-anonymous users, I am a bit worried about its development. This could be also simply a biased view of Internet forums in general. Animesuki, a heavily-moderated forum, doesn't seem to suffer as much as MAL though.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 25, 2013 11:27 PM

Oct 2007
wakka9ca said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

There are just some days where I just spout random non-sense too lol.

Maybe it's my engineering background that makes me somewhat flexible in thinking. I don't think there is only one way to approach a problem. I also think stepping back a little to change my perspective is a good approach. But this also means I am a bit more rational and less emotional. Thus, this influences my preferences to mainly hard and soft SF.

However, it is very difficult to have a good discussion on MAL nowadays. Just look at the Valvrave forums. I cringe every time I enter that forum. Despite its flaws (notably of excessive pandering), it is actually worthy of more interesting discussions than what is currently on MAL.

About Monogatari: yes, it's a series specifically made as reference to modern Japanese otaku culture. I wouldn't call it necessarily an excessive pandering yet. Pandering of course but that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. After all, the modern Japanese otaku culture in itself is rather young and not extremely well-developed yet. You might not find much depth in it. I personally believe that given more time and development cycles, it will eventually become more matured and well-established than it currently is. However, with the current half-baked reactions from semi-anonymous users, I am a bit worried about its development. This could be also simply a biased view of Internet forums in general. Animesuki, a heavily-moderated forum, doesn't seem to suffer as much as MAL though.

Valvrave forum has to endure the usual idiocy of must Sunrise mecha series threads with someone trying to call it a train wreck every page or so. Its really nothing new, just incredibly forced and tiresome.

Monogatari just really started to rub me the wrong way with its largely aimless conversations and character interactions. They didn't even make me think like some of the dialogue in this film, they just looked like an author/director duo desperate to spark the next big 4chan meme. It just felt like the series was always stroking itself and it only got worse with the sequel and its toothbrush scene that the community seemed to feel was worthy of the absolute highest praise. I never really had terribly much respect for the anime community as a whole finding a lot of fans nowadays to be shallow trend whores who don't even seem to know what they like or have their own tastes so much as follow hyped show with big name to hyped show with big name from season to season but I had a hell of a lot more before that whole incident.

-Toothbrush sister pseudo rape scene apparently brilliant
-Movies like this and shows like Valvrave, apparently just to hard to take seriously and utter shit.
-Bite me anime community with all your blatant double standards, like straight up....sigh

Anyway its not all glowing rose gardens over at animesuki. Yes its better moderates and yes it usually lead to better discussion, but sadly one moderator is a petty vendetta holding control freak that shows blatant overprotective favoritism to Moe anime and does nothing to help non Moe fans. I ended up permabanned there because he didn't think I showed proper respect for certain IMO already overpriviliged and pampered fanbases while the shows I enjoyed suffered from poor moderation and became MAL style threads so it all evened out to pretty much the same shit you see here.
PeacingOutJun 25, 2013 11:50 PM
Jun 26, 2013 4:34 PM

Jul 2012
I have mixed feelings about this.

This movie completely tugged at my heart strings with the whole "love square" situation and kataomoi going on. :S Oh man. Natsuki is basically me, except I'm not tsundere at all.

Also, I loved the animation and emotion built up. All the kisses and stuff were so ugh omg so gorgeous and it fills my Shoujo-loving kokoro. The voice actors damn! What a great job on the crying scenes. It had so much emotion packed in it.

I enjoyed it overall. I did not skip any scenes because I simply enjoyed it. Anyway, onto the bad.

Uhm, well...I'm confused as hell right now on what I just watched. I'm not sure what the point of this movie was and why we needed flashbacks when they were younger.

A lot of the movie was pretty pretentious. They tried to sound deep and intelligent when it was really a couple of teenager firstworldissues. I liked the similarities between Midnight's Summers Dreams with this but everything else added along like the psychic thing was totally unnecessary.

6.7/10

Seki = grandpa - he ends up dieing at the end because they can only time travel once. If they are the same person that means 'grandpa' went into the past to watch over himself (This would be his second time travel). Then present day Seki goes into the future to bring back Kyougoku (This would be his first time travel). That is when it cuts to 'grandpa' dieing.

But Seki doesn't die at the end... Huhhhhhh
I'm confused as fack on what happened LOLOL
MayukaJun 26, 2013 5:08 PM
Jun 26, 2013 8:14 PM

Dec 2007
Like many, some parts of the movie I didn't get even though I'm usually not the one to miss anything. I understand the return to the past mission etc. Just everything after the random beach scene I didn't get.

Movie wasn't bad overall. I'm not going to fault a movie by saying it's boring simply because it doesn't match up to what I expected it to be. Just need to sort out the confusing bits.
Jun 26, 2013 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
I'm sure dozens of people have asked this already but I'm very confused and I'm hoping someone can explain some of my questions.

1. The future of man kind is dying. So why send the psychic guy back in time to a point where Seki has the power to stop him?

2. Was it ever explained why the dad has beef against Seki? I assume it's because his dad or grandfather once stopped him from doing something but what was it?

3. So Seki's grandfather knew the psychic guy's mother?

4. Seki's whole family was implied to be psychic so does that mean his grandfather was from the future?

5. Why did the grandfather die?

6. What was up with the dog?

7. Seki's shildhood friend was actually from the future and sacrificed herself to save him which resulted in her losing her powers?

8. Near the end of the movie what was up with Seki and the psychic guy going into the weird dimension where Seki's past self was?

9. The ferret looking thing was psychic guy's dad, what killed him in the end?

10. What the fuck happened at the very end? Psychic guy couldn't stay in the past any longer or else he'd get erased? By what? Where did Seki take him at the end?

11. Seki came back in psychic guy's clothes. Did they become one or something?

I'm very confused right now so any bit of information would help. Thanks
Jun 27, 2013 6:39 AM
Jun 2013
mayukachan said:

No, Seki doesn't die. But if he and the grandpa are really the same person from different time periods then that would explain why the grandpa randomly died at the same time that Seki time traveled.

Ohh the joys of time travel. ^_^
Jun 27, 2013 6:54 AM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I just find it annoying that people don't properly use the term plot hole anymore and its become a general catch all term. Very rarely is it ever used in the proper context or meaning anymore.
I notice this problem too. So many people used it the wrong way - while in fact the word means Contradictions within the story and the fictional world, many people now use it to mean simply "things not explained sufficiently". I have just had a long debate with a user in another thread about the use of this word, and I must admit that I find the attitude of "hey this is internet, and I use the word like I always do with my chums on internet, so I am not wrong and this is my freedom" quite disappointing and upsetting. It is as if they are contented with using any word (mostly strongly negative) to express ideas that do not warrant it or even not what the word means, just to express disappointment at it. This is lazy, shallow and inarticulate writing -- and too bad there are so many who prefer to write this way (and get unhappy when told they can write in better way).

About Bakemonogatari, I won't spend a lot of time to talk about it in this Nerawareta Gakuen thread, but I can tell you that after watching the anime I thought about it a lot and not so much of it is about its otaku pandering aspect of the dialogues. This got me to read the LN and then I realized how much of a good job the anime did for the novel, because it was really a hell of a job to adapt such a conversation and monologue heavy work. So dismissing it as pure otaku pandering is to me misses much of the point. Yes, it has a good deal of otaku pleasing elements, from the visual to the audio, but there is quite a lot more to it than that, and it is easy to get blinded by those otaku elements and ignore its other appeals. As wakka9ca said, there is the BALANCE (interesting he uses the same word that I used to describe why some anime like GirlPan achieved the success it so deserves) achieved. Well, I think I would just stop here lest I digress too much...

wakka9ca said:
The problem with ratings on MAL on something like anime (or media in general) is that there are too many different genres. It's nearly impossible to objectively compare between them
This is why I do not rate any anime I watched because I see no point. Genres are different. My standard can be very different from others' standard. One number can convey a very limited picture of how I like/dislike an anime. There are so many reasons not to do this rating thing.
symbvJun 27, 2013 7:06 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 27, 2013 8:43 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Discovered a few days ago, thanks to an Italian fansub I tried to see him at once, so I went to sub English to do before. The streaming was not the greatest, but even without all the quality given by Sunrise, I was fascinated by the characters, even the secondary ones. Very bellllo and cared for the character design and backgrounds, even the music were beautiful, little if I talked in my country, and I think that's a bad thing. As mentioned by a few, the story is not for everyone, but I imagine that the few who remember him will understand. I hope to read the novel to understand much more than the many questions!
Jun 27, 2013 10:59 AM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I just find it annoying that people don't properly use the term plot hole anymore and its become a general catch all term. Very rarely is it ever used in the proper context or meaning anymore.
I notice this problem too. So many people used it the wrong way - while in fact the word means Contradictions within the story and the fictional world, many people now use it to mean simply "things not explained sufficiently". I have just had a long debate with a user in another thread about the use of this word, and I must admit that I find the attitude of "hey this is internet, and I use the word like I always do with my chums on internet, so I am not wrong and this is my freedom" quite disappointing and upsetting. It is as if they are contented with using any word (mostly strongly negative) to express ideas that do not warrant it or even not what the word means, just to express disappointment at it. This is lazy, shallow and inarticulate writing -- and too bad there are so many who prefer to write this way (and get unhappy when told they can write in better way).

Yep I think they think it means parts of the story that are vague as opposed to contradictions between elements which is what the term is supposed to mean. For example there's an old OVA in the Gundam Franchise called Stardust Memory where at the start of the show one character looks another character directly in the face without so much as a hint of recognition then later on near the end of the series it is revealed that they were in fact lovers years before the start of the series. This is a plot hole because otherwise there would have been some form of recognition when they met earlier in the series. Something like the cell phone issue resolving itself because of a time loop paradox coming into effect eliminating the seed for the issue altogether, not really a plot hole, just an unexpectedly smooth resolution. The movie had already made it's point by then anyway as to the futility of the ban and the true shortcomings of the psychics (though you have to be paying attention to get this like most things in the film) so I see that as a fitting enough resolution for the time the movie had.

As for why "plot hole" gets used as such a context sensitive term, I think it's the 4chan effect. They have a whole stable of words they use to describe a myriad of totally unique and different situations so I'd call it a matter of dumbing down communication between the masses and the natural exchange of ideas ala 1984's Newspeak almost. That forums culture has brought standards for communication and saying what one damn well means straight up to such an all time low in various fan cultures (not just anime) that it's a wonder people are even able to carry out meaningful conversations on the internet at all anymore. Hell I'd almost go so far as to argue that most people can't and the party has won. :(

About Bakemonogatari, I won't spend a lot of time to talk about it in this Nerawareta Gakuen thread, but I can tell you that after watching the anime I thought about it a lot and not so much of it is about its otaku pandering aspect of the dialogues. This got me to read the LN and then I realized how much of a good job the anime did for the novel, because it was really a hell of a job to adapt such a conversation and monologue heavy work. So dismissing it as pure otaku pandering is to me misses much of the point. Yes, it has a good deal of otaku pleasing elements, from the visual to the audio, but there is quite a lot more to it than that, and it is easy to get blinded by those otaku elements and ignore its other appeals. As wakka9ca said, there is the BALANCE (interesting he uses the same word that I used to describe why some anime like GirlPan achieved the success it so deserves) achieved. Well, I think I would just stop here lest I digress too much...

I'll just say that that ship has already sailed and I am no longer on it and merely watching from afar. There's no convincing to be done here, it's one of the few anime franchises I legitimately hate plain and simple. I gave that franchise every single chance to succeed with me because it seemed like such a hit with so many and I figured I must be missing something about it, but after 3 attempts to get through the first season (the first two ended up aborted around the 3rd and 4th episode out of sheer disinterest) and just barely making it I can safely say I found nothing redeemable about it from the direction to the characters to the plotting to the dialogue delivered with an inflated sense of worth, you name it it just rubbed entirely against the grain with me.

There was just absolutely nothing there that could or really should have kept me watching beyond sheer force of will to finish it so that I could say I triumphed and had the right to discuss it as a person that shared in the experience. It was without a doubt the most unpleasant experience I have had watching anime in the last decade and I do not wish to relive it.

It's not a matter of dismissal, having experienced it I simply do not like anything about that franchise and have since used it as the key example of how I cannot relate to todays anime watching audience. The fact that so many people see it as the absolute pinnacle of modern anime is extremely disconcerting (to be honest I don't actually believe most people feel this way about it deep down and it's just pure hype driving it with a taste for it's flash and flair making up the rest), but it'll all be over after this latest season.

wakka9ca said:
The problem with ratings on MAL on something like anime (or media in general) is that there are too many different genres. It's nearly impossible to objectively compare between them
This is why I do not rate any anime I watched because I see no point. Genres are different. My standard can be very different from others' standard. One number can convey a very limited picture of how I like/dislike an anime. There are so many reasons not to do this rating thing.

MAL has genre and name bias plain and simple. You can see it in how a lot of similar things with similar budgets and scripts will have average ratings, but put one of the designated names that MAL feels is special on the product or have the audience suitably hyped via a source material that enough random people say is godly and magically the show becomes top 200 material. I think the SAO/Accel World ranking dichotomy is a good example. I have never seen a single person seriously try to argue that Accel World wasn't a stronger adaptation in terms of care taken in the production (pacing, character development, plotting, sakuga, variety in episode content) than SAO yet SAO enjoys a far higher ranking despite all of the angry fanboy rage it garners these days. This is because that franchise enjoyed a significant level of hype going in that gave it an absurdly high starting rank because name>everything else. By contrast Accel World most people only found out about after the fact because of SAO's hype and that it was written by a same author, thus it had to build it's reputation on it's own merits, which it did to an extent, but couldn't make up the hype gap plain and simple.

This is just one example of why I don't take MAL rankings remotely serious because the numbers often bely how the audience really feels about things and are given almost on a token basis to reward specific popular names, hype levels and popularity rather than actual achievement in the crafting of a fine work.
PeacingOutJun 27, 2013 11:03 AM
Jun 27, 2013 11:09 AM

Sep 2012
> There's no convincing to be done here, it's one of the few anime franchises I legitimately hate plain and simple.

I did not mean to convince you that you have to love it, but you feel like you have to use a word "legitimately" to add to the word "hate" (and then a bunch of words that you yourself clearly find irritating when other people use it against series you love like "irredeemable" "absolutely nothing" "you name it" etc -- don't you think you are judging the phrasing and word choices of people with a high standard but don't want that same high standard be applied to you?) , don't you think that it can really jar people who take a liking to it because they feel you are not really as sincere and tolerant as you sound? It just gives a feeling that you still bear hatred and grunges as if it has done you wrong and hurt you in some ways so that you could only describe the series in some extended remarks that illustrate your deep hatred and let it show.

> The fact that so many people see it as the absolute pinnacle of modern anime is extremely disconcerting (to be honest I don't actually believe most people feel this way about it deep down and it's just pure hype driving it), but it'll all be over after this latest season.

If anything, I would consider the LN to be a masterpiece of modern youth literature. Just like many people find graffiti art of irredeemably low worth and pandering only to niche (urban slums), some people also have the sense to find that some graffiti art is as good as arts made in art academies. And the anime is just a perfect complement to the LN.

And I can tell you this is not hype that drove it because I watched the anime from first hand, and I watched it without any idea about the LN and I was not a particularly big fan of Shaft at that time either. I don't know what all those fans think, but I can honestly think that Bake is a truly memorable piece of art that will take an exalted place in my mind perhaps for the rest of my life. And I am not joking at all when I am telling you this.

But enough of my ramblings. I am not here to convince you to like Bake. I just think that for all the objections you have for people posting strongly negative comments about this movie or Valvrave or some Sunrise works, you may want to also look at yourself and see what kinds of comments you use for shows you feel an urge to hate (which is what some people in this thread or Valvrave thread probably feel and thus came to use those words that you find so irritating).
symbvJun 27, 2013 11:20 AM

Jun 27, 2013 12:04 PM

Jun 2010
symbv said:
It is as if they are contented with using any word (mostly strongly negative) to express ideas that do not warrant it or even not what the word means, just to express disappointment at it. This is lazy, shallow and inarticulate writing -- and too bad there are so many who prefer to write this way (and get unhappy when told they can write in better way).

Hey, I didn't get unhappy! :o I was just trying to be serious since I thought we were on a debate.

Ping-pong! I'm damn lazy. Too bad I can't do anything about that even if I want to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Errr, About the show,

I just randomly saw this one in the site where I usually downloads Anime. Looked it up on MAL and boom --- HanaKana, OnoD, Mayuyu, supercell, Sunrise, etc. I thought the title and plot was really catchy so I was a bit hyped by this.

The movie started with showcasing a very awesome art and animation. And then when I heard Ginirohikousen, I was like, oh shit this is gonna be epic. Well, after that things went really confusing. Even though the characters were cliche, I still liked them. I didn't particularly like Natsuki at first. She proved to be a great character afterwards though. Kaho's really cute! I'm a hardcore romance lover so even though the it wasn't something really new, I still enjoyed it greatly. The sad thing though is that I wasn't really able to follow the story properly. I understood what the movie was trying to say but from the actual story itself, I have so many questions that boggles my mind. Like who really is Kyougyoku, his father and mother, Kenji's grandfather and their dog. What is his relation to Kyougoku even before they met? What does that child Kenji (in bed) and Natsuki beside him meant? Did Kenji or Natsuki already died before? What happened when Kenji and Kyougoku disappeared? Did they both travel to the future? What does that Umbreon-like creature he brought at the end does? In any case, I still had fun watching the movie. Lol @Kenji being a pervert and when he tried to help Kaho stand up but ended up touching her boobs. Poor Kaho, completely forgotten about Kyougoku. They were a great pair!

What else... yeah, 7/10 for me. I feel like if I'm smarter enough to understand what really happened then I'll probably give it a higher score. Good job Sunrise! I really would like to see more of this.

I saw SHAFT at the ending credits. Can somebody tell me what part did they do?
Jun 27, 2013 7:46 PM

Sep 2012
If only it made more sense
:(
Jun 27, 2013 8:59 PM

Jul 2012
Nehtor said:
mayukachan said:

No, Seki doesn't die. But if he and the grandpa are really the same person from different time periods then that would explain why the grandpa randomly died at the same time that Seki time traveled.

Ohh the joys of time travel. ^_^

Hey, that makes more sense now! Thanks. n_n

//still confused about other stuff tho LOL
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A TRANSLATED LIGHT NOVEL? I'D LOVE TO READ IT!
Jun 28, 2013 12:16 AM

Mar 2012
I thought this was pretty good. Definitely would have been better if they left out what were (at least, it seems to me) unnecessary complications to the story. Also, dat animation, OP, and ED.
JoshJun 28, 2013 12:35 AM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 28, 2013 2:06 AM
Nov 2009
Simply epic
Jun 28, 2013 7:44 AM

Feb 2011
I guess art was nice , and that's it. I can't get rid of the "dafuq i just watched" feeling. 7/10
Jun 28, 2013 8:22 AM

Mar 2012
And what was with the main girl randomly defying gravity all the time, lol?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 29, 2013 2:23 AM

May 2010
Kind bit confusing but at least quality of the art is makes up for it
Jun 29, 2013 3:57 PM

Aug 2012
there were plot holes but i still enjoyed the movie. the scene with kyougoku and harukawa was very sweet and emotional. i teared up lol
and the kiss scene between seki and natsuki was cute
Jun 29, 2013 9:51 PM

Nov 2011
The only thing I didn't really understand what the dream sequences where Seki and then Natsuki were in an hospital bed, and he tells her he died and she went back in time and got hurt in his stead. I need to watch it again. It's one of those movies that doesn't spoon feed you everything. Really good, though.

EDIT: God dammit, it's right on the tip of my brain. So the old man was actually Seki himself? Is that what they were trying to say? Because once young Seki traveled to the future, which he didn't do originally, then the strain on future Seki's heart became too much and he dropped dead? Is that it?

EDIT 2: I see people in this thread have realized this too. Good, I'm not crazy. I did figure out that they were all connected and this was a multiple timelines thing. Second viewing, here I come!

EDIT 3: Did Seki's sister (daughter?) have Down Syndrome? I sorta thought that's what they were going for.
neontasterJun 29, 2013 10:10 PM
Jun 30, 2013 12:05 AM

Oct 2012
Well, I fairly enjoyed this movie, although it was a bit confusing for me :/ It had a lot of potential but...towards the middle, it kind of just went downhill. I wanted to know who Kyogoku mom was, and what accident Seki and Natsuki were in.

Jun 30, 2013 10:50 AM

Jun 2008
I didn't understand anything. But I loved it. Still have a lot of questions though T_T

The thing is, When Kenji is eating with his grandpa and sis, we hear Kenji´s mom yelling at him to help his dad at the beginning of the movie, but then, we never see them.
The part when Kyogoku visits someone´s grave (his mom? definitely is someone related to Seki´s grandpa) there is a kanji in the gravestone, perhaps it could give us a hint of the name....
Kyogoku talks about watching snow with his mom, but then he realizes he never did, oddly enough in the after credits it is Kenji´s grandpa and sister who are watching it. (There is something really off about Kenji´s sister btw).
If the talking pet was Kyogoku´s dad...then who is Seki´s pet at the end? Kyogoku?

Im confused.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jul 1, 2013 2:10 AM

Aug 2012
Confusing for most parts but still entertaining
Jul 1, 2013 3:45 PM

Aug 2008
Wait, did I see right some people imply Kyougoku and Seki are respectively their own father and grandfather? It makes even less sense than the move itself.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 1, 2013 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
Just completed this movie. I was moved and left in awe of the art, music, and acting. It gave me feels. 10/10
Jul 1, 2013 11:29 PM

Jun 2010
Antanaru said:
Wait, did I see right some people imply Kyougoku and Seki are respectively their own father and grandfather? It makes even less sense than the move itself.

Grandfather paradox. Paradoxes are a paradox in themselves. You don't understand them...you just roll with it. lol
Jul 3, 2013 7:35 AM

Jul 2010
I will be honest. I watched this film simply because supercell's song is on it. I endured the movie until it ended and it didn't leave an impact on me. The animation was superb, no question on that, but the story was very confusing for me. There's so much that could have been done for this film. I felt like I wasted my time watching it but then again, since supercell's Ginirohikousen played both in the opening and ending, that somehow eased a little of my disappointment.
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Jul 4, 2013 1:08 AM

Jan 2011
It doesn't spoon feed you everything. Additionally, I would bet money that by just watching the movie you aren't going to understand it perfectly. Going to have to throw out some theories and just roll with it. In truth, it's not that hard to connect the dots after watching this movie. I always find it true when reading comments that people have the hardest time comprehending a story as soon as time traveling becomes a major element in the story.

Even if there are too many questions left...enjoy the love story, all 'dat animation, and the wonderful music.

For <2hr novel adaption it was very good. I'm sure if I had the ability to read the novel and then watch this movie I would feel more satisfied (or maybe not). In any case, concluding the story that was presented with the information given I can say it was great. I'm biased already bc I'm a sucker for romance.
Jul 4, 2013 11:07 AM

May 2009
Im really happy so many people liked it, but it wasnt my cup of tea at all. Im not sure what I expected. When I read the title I thought this would me more action oriented, like student with psychic powers fighting each other or somthing like that. The whole psychic part was very vague, and the pacing was a mess. The story was not hard to follow, the only thing that was kind of weird were those dream sequences.

Im noticing that Im the only one who disliked the animation. Dont get me wrong, its obviously high quality and talented people worked on it, kudos to them, but, its simply too much. Everwhere cherry petals, eveywhere light effects, so many frames in a characters animation. Its too much of everything, nothing ever stops moving and spinning and shining and they went clearly overboard. IMO hard to watch.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What did everyone think?

Zeroro1995 - Oct 20, 2012

38 by JohnnyJayce »»
May 22, 2022 10:10 AM

» SPOILER Nerawageta Gakuen: Possible explanation of the movie (+ending)

acab1312 - Nov 15, 2015

5 by Kabuz »»
Apr 26, 2021 5:25 PM

» Nerawareta Gakuen Soon To Get Dubbed

TheDiabolicEsper - May 14, 2016

4 by TheDiabolicEsper »»
Jun 4, 2017 7:43 PM

» Name of the Song, please help!!!

MrJules - Jun 25, 2013

9 by renzbiohazard »»
Sep 21, 2014 3:55 PM

» Preview Video

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2012

13 by Hase0 »»
Jun 15, 2013 1:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.