Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 11, 2014 7:19 AM

Nov 2011
WTF did I just watch? :s And high-school is no where as beautiful as portrayed in this movie! 4/10 I guess, it would be lower but I give it points for the gorgeous visual treat it was.
The Art of Eight
Jan 20, 2014 2:05 PM

Mar 2012
Think the movie was everywhere but where it should have been. I really hate watching things that roll with the melting pot, simply throwing in things left and right and stirring them to make a plot, it just doesn't go very well. It wasn't that it was bad, it was that it was immensely boring and didn't tie things together properly. It was more of a half-assed effort to try to make a convincing story, it felt like because the movie had marketed itself off in the beginning as a school romance, it was forced later on to have long drawn out conversations between characters to try to appeal to those watching for the romance, while trying to keep it entertaining to watch for those wanting the supernatural aspect.

In short, it became A Girl Who Leapt Through Time, only less interesting....

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 22, 2014 5:47 PM

Oct 2013
w
Tyrel said:
A lot of cliche, some skipping I did because I got bored. Animation was godlike imo, ost and music was also nice. Lots of confusing stuff, but w/e, though one thing that bothered me was

What happened to his Grandfather or w/e during the ending scenes. He collapsed on the ground next to Seki little sister.

5.5/10.

obviously its going to be confusing if you skip shit.....
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jan 23, 2014 7:26 AM

Jun 2007
Most people in this thread focus negatively on the complete lack of structure; culminating in the 'beach episode'. And while it was utterly retarded that - just because it's Japanese/anime - a plot involving a psychic going back in time to A HIGH SCHOOL and controlling it via the student council in order to ban mobile phones (...) was thought to qualify as a movie, it was the horribly cliched anime stereotype characters that REALLY got to me.

You've got Dense Average: a guy that's supposed to be a latent psychic when he can't even see the girl next-door from his childhood is jealous. Then you've got Angry Tsundere Childhood Friend, who exists solely to say "Baka!" and hit the lead. THEN you've got the Long-Haired Reserved Perfect, who - of course - is friends with the short-hair tomboy and creates a love triangle. AND THEN you've got Mysterious Transfer Student to complete the facepalm list of everything wrong with anime. I'm not even going to get into the overly blushy, oh-so-anime character designs.

This movie was like watching the ANIME version of TGWLTT; as in, the anime version that can't be appreciated by anyone other than anime fans. How anyone can overlook the characters, let alone the otaku pandering 'story', is beyond me. RELEASE YOUR CRYSTAL TO AWAKEN MUTANTS OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL, YOU IDIOT! I couldn't even appreciate the visuals. The cherry blossoms CG was like seeing an army of flies battling it out over the picture. And how everything was made to look so bright and perfect... UGGHHH! It was like entering a pink girlygirly room: like an alien's vision of the world.

If I didn't almost always reserve 1-3/10 for hentai, this wouldn't be 4/10.
Feb 7, 2014 12:25 AM
Feb 2014
I hope someone who have knowledge of the novel can answer some of my questions.

(There was another discussion thread here. I don't think I should bump it, so I'm going to start a episode discussion here.)

The movie starts out promising, great art, great animation. In the beginning, this is what I thought the story looked like: Kyougoku is from the future, comes back to find more kids with superpower, have some kind of plan to take over the school with prohibition of cellphones. I really like the voice actors in this movie; all 4 of them have a voice that I could recognize.

Then, things start to mess up after Kyougoku confess to Harukawa. The setting that Kyougoku explains is somewhat acceptable. He believes that with the increase numbers of people with superpowers, it would be better for the future. But I could not understand his reasoning for this, was it even explained?.

After that, the most ridiculous moment happens when Seki tells Kyougoku "Let's go the beach." At this moment, the school setting COMPLETELY gets ditched. Take over the school with superpower kids setting is forgotten. Prohibition of the cellphone remains unsolved. The reason that I'm using the word superpower instead of telepathy is because apparently Seki and Kyougoku have other powers, that they can duel with(?)

Seriously, what was Kyougoku's original plan for his mission? Wait, what is his mission... some about the future...

One of the biggest problem was with the character settings. A lot were introduced, but not finished explaining. Viewers have to make a lot of assumptions. Here are some of my understanding. Kyougoku is born in the future. His father is also from the future. His mother is born around the same time as Seki's dad, I assume that these 2 people are around the same age. His father traveled back in time and brought his mother back to the future with him.

Seki's family all have superpowers. His little sister shown telepathy. His dad stopped Kyougoku's dad from doing whatever. Seki was suppose to die at young age, but Ryouura came back in time to same him, but Ryouura took the injury instead. I assume this is where she broke her leg, but her lying on the bed looked a lot more serious(?)

The ending in terrible. Seki, Kyougoku, and Kyougoku's dad travel back in time even more to find Seki and Ryouura at younger age. Kyougoku's dad wants to kill Seki and Ryouura. This is what I don't understand, how will taking Seki and Ryouura's powers change the future for the better? Seki and Ryouura will destroy earth, how? This makes no sense to me at all. Although Kyougokusays that it will not work anyways... Kyougoku's dad disappear after this; Seki's dad dies. WHAT?

I'm not even going to comment on the animals in this anime... The dog and fox like pokemon... Some things you will just never understand.

TL;DR conclusion:
Mix feeling about this anime. Really impressed with the art and animation, just like Kotonoha no Niwa that I watched earlier. However, the plot is really confusing. Almost reminds me of Bones' bad sci-fi/superpower mystery animes. (Not trying to offense Bones but...) Knowledge of the original novel is probably required to make sense of this anime.

I know someone will ask, some I'll say this now: DVD/BD is on sale, just WAIT for it. Oh, I'm curious how it is going to rank next week.

What I say next are just MY thoughts and ideas I've gathered with a few friends. I HAVE NOT read the novel or seen any other adaptation to this series. I've only seen this anime movie.
PLEASE don't get mad at what I say. >< Thanks!
SORRY it's SO LONG. It's hard to explain everything in just a few words. ^^;

Ryouichi's idea/logic
I think I know where Ryouichi may be coming from with the idea of waking up as many psychics as possible.
If things started going wrong with the world to the point that it would lead to destruction of the world; then people with psychic powers can work together to fix the problem. Communication is important.
Humans without powers can only do so much to prevent something like this from happening. We don't see that the world is changing for the worse. Some of us do. But not enough for everyone else to see it. By the time everyone else see's it; it's too late. Though that statement I just said is debatable.
No one said that psychic powers is only telepathy. Maybe it starts off that way? But humans are always evolving. We could find a way to do more than telepathy. Who knows?
Do you see what I mean?
I think that's what's behind his logic when he's doing his mission. But that's just how I see it?
Also: I do not believe that it's Ryouichi's idea/theory. I believe it's his fathers idea. Ryouichi's is just doing what his father told him to do.
I'm not saying I believe in psychic power or not. I'm just going along with the idea of it.

This is the way I see the whole Cellphone rule
I wanna say that "cellphones" block the human mind's potential to grow and evolve to be able to use the 70-80% of the brain (assuming that the uban legend/myth of us humans only using 10% of our brain is true. I don't know if it is or isn't. I'm not going to study it).
That is their thinking in this anime movie.
As to why they think that; I have an idea. but I need to do more research about understanding psychic powers and how they work. Though I'm not in a hurry to do that research. Assuming I do. It's not something I'm going to take the time to "analyze and study" in this anime movie cause it has nothing to do with my real reason for me starting to "analyzing and studying" this anime movie. Sorry. I'm not trying to sound mean. ><

Other powers
Other powers? What gave you the idea that they have "other powers"? Just wondering.
This was all about psychic powers. The only type of psychic powers mentioned in this anime movie was telepathy.
There are quite a few other psychic powers that could be used in a fight.
Some expamles would be: Psychokinesis or telekinesis, Pyrokinesis, Mediumship or channeling...etc (If you get a chance or want to: Look at the different psychic powers and see what they can do. Most of them would be pretty useful in battle or anything else.

Ryouichi's plan
I HONESTLY don't believe that this "mission" was his idea to begin with. I think this "gather as many psychics as possible" was his fathers plan.
If the ideas I've gathered about the Ryouichi's father is true; then his father really wasn't a nice guy.

Character settings
Ryouichi's mother was not born when Seki's dad was. Or unless you mean Seki's grandfather. Even so; she lived in this time era.
Time era doesn't necessary mean "THAT" year, season, day,...etc
Quote from wiki: "An era is a period of time marked by distinctive character, events, changes on earth, etc."
So if you go by that; it would suggest that what they mean by "era" in this anime movie is the "era/time" before earth destroyed itself. When everything was still okay. So his mom could of been born at any time before the earth met it's demise.
Ryouichi's father went to try to change the future. Then he met the mother. They fell in love. But Ryouichi's father had to go back to the moon. So he took his lover/wife with him. But she died soon after Ryouichi was born.

Powers?
May I ask how/where you got the idea that everyone in Seki's family has "super powers"? Just wondering.
Who is Ryouura? There isn't a character by that name in the anime movie. Do you mean Natsuki Suzuura? If you mean Natsuki; when did she break her leg??? According to wiki: Kenji was in a life threatening coma. So in order to save him; Natsuki used her ALL her powers so that she could be the one in the life threatening coma.
Though sadly it was not explained how that all happened. :(

Ending
I am REALLY confused as to how you got that ending out of the anime. Could you please explain? Ryouichi's dad never made an appearence in this anime movie UNLESS you believe that Ryouichi's father is the creature that came with Ryouichi. I know someone who thought this. It's not like this idea hadn't crossed my mind. But I didn't really "look into it" as it really didn't have anything to do with the real reason I started "analyzing and studying" this anime movie. I have an idea about that. I don't want to say cause this message is already pretty long. ^^;
I do not know why/ how erasing Seki's/Seki's powers and Natsuki will save the future. That was never explained. So I don't know why.
Though I do have an idea as to why Ryouichi's father sent his SON to do that mission. That's another idea. We will have to talk about it another time due to the fact that this message is getting to long as it is. ^^;
Also; it's not Seki's dad. It's Seki's grandfather. Because in the movie when Seki is talking to his grandfather about psychics; Seki's mom was like (and I quote from the anime movie): "Kenji! Help your father in the kitchen!"
I actually thought that Seki's grandfather died as well. But if you look at the scenes while the credits are rolling; you'll notice that he is in a wheel chair. I think he just suffered a heart attack. So he is very much alive.
I take it from what you've said: You didn't watch the small scene AFTER the credits did you? It's okay. I normally wouldn't of either. But I read reviews that said there was something after the credits.
Though what happens in that small scene may confuse you even more or it may clear things up.
If so; I do have a couple ideas about the ending after the credits as well.

I have NO IDEA if what I say is true. But these are the ideas I've had and the ideas I've heard from my other online friends. I have a few other ideas not mentioned in this post if you are interested?
However; I can tell you I understand this anime movie more than some people.
That is because I analyzed and studied this anime movie since I first saw it (which is a little over a month ago). Each time I watch it or parts of it; I learn something new and get more ideas. I share them with my friends online.
I DO NOT analyze EVERY anime out there. ONLY the ones that have EMOTIONALLY effected me and changed the way I think and see things. There is ONLY 2 animes that I FULLY analyze.This anime movie being one of them.

To anyone who are confused or have questions; please message me and I'll do MY BEST to help. :)
I haven't been on this site for years because my computer kept freezing when I went to this site. But I made another one just so I could try to help you with your confusion and other peoples confusion.
I DON'T know EVERYTHING nor do I have ALL the answers. All I have are ideas.

A message to all those who are confused:
I'm not going to get mad at you guys for hating and/or dropping this anime movie cause it's SO CONFUSING. But I thought I'd tell you this at least?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a story becomes too confusing; then people tend to drop and/or dislike it. MOST people I know who watch/read anime/manga don't want to have to THINK about what they saw/read. They just see it for what it is and that's all. It's NOT BAD. It's just cause we use it as fun and a way to escape reality. That is TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE!!!
But I study/analyze anime that have emotionally affected me (ONLY 2 anime's I have done that with; Nerawareta Gakuen being one of them). I LOOK at it in EVERY angle POSSIBLE.
But with Nerawareta Gakuen I learn something new each time I watch it. I get closer to understanding it.
I realize this anime movie left quite a few IMPORTANT things that should of been explained.
BUT If you could see this anime movie farther than "It's confusing"; You MIGHT be able to see the TRUE lesson it's teaching and the TRUE emotions it's conveying. And I don't mean emotions/lesson that are shown; I mean deeper than that.
I BELIEVE that each anime has a lesson to teach. Some are deeper than others. Sometimes that lesson is said straight to our face. Other lessons are hidden inside the story or anime. Each person see's that anime lesson differently. How we see that anime lesson determines whether that anime will mean anything to us or not.
For me; Nerawareta Gakuen has taught me MORE than any other anime!
That's why I understand this anime movie more than A LOT of other people do.
I just wish people could see this anime movie the way I see it and give it another chance.

I posted a link in my MAL profile that will show that these characters are MORE than "cliche". That they have a deeper meaning. Course I can only say that about ONE character in this whole anime movie because HE is the reason why I started analyze this movie. I would of never even tried looking beyond what is seen in this anime movie if it weren't for him. As you've read; I did not study EVERYTHING about this anime movie. I ONLY study EVERYTHING involving that ONE character. Call it an obsession or whatever you want. But I have a BETTER UNDERSTANDING of this character. Not cause he's cute(though I'll admit that was the original reason). But because of the lesson he taught and everything he went through. Read the link I put on my MAL profile and you'll see what I mean. You can call me anything you want. But that WILL NOT change how I see and understand him.

Okay. I'm FINALLY DONE! I hope I don't get in trouble for having such a LONG MESSAGE! ^^;
IF you read all this: THANKS!
I'm sorry if I've made this more confusing for you. But I hope it cleared some confusion. Even if it's only an ounce. Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions. THANKS!
Rhythm_of_SoulFeb 7, 2014 3:47 AM
Feb 9, 2014 3:14 PM

Jul 2010
Nothing amazing really..It was okay.
Feb 13, 2014 1:34 AM

Aug 2012
Exactly what happened at the end? At lot of shit still unexplained. Welp, the animation and OST are great - but they don't cover up a lame narrative.

Exactly what are their other powers?
Exactly what's up with that cellphone prohibition? That didn't get solve at all!
Exactly what happened to his uncle after he vanished? And what might his disappearance has something to do with it?
Is Kenji and Ryouichi brothers?
[Insert other confusing things/plot holes that I forgot to mention]

Edit: Re-watched some scenes, and all I gained were small clarification on certain plot elements. I think I need to read the source material to fully comprehend this.
julyanFeb 13, 2014 1:52 AM
Feb 15, 2014 11:00 PM
Feb 2014
julyan04 said:
Exactly what happened at the end? At lot of shit still unexplained. Welp, the animation and OST are great - but they don't cover up a lame narrative.

Exactly what are their other powers?
Exactly what's up with that cellphone prohibition? That didn't get solve at all!
Exactly what happened to his uncle after he vanished? And what might his disappearance has something to do with it?
Is Kenji and Ryouichi brothers?
[Insert other confusing things/plot holes that I forgot to mention]

Edit: Re-watched some scenes, and all I gained were small clarification on certain plot elements. I think I need to read the source material to fully comprehend this.

Cellphone Prohibition
This is the way I see the whole Cellphone rule-
I wanna say that "cellphones" block the human mind's potential to grow and evolve to be able to use the 90% of our brain(assuming that the urban legend/myth of us humans only using 10% of our brain is true. I don't know if it is or isn't. I'm not going to study it).
That is their thinking in this anime movie. Or how I see their way of thinking.
As to why they think that; I have an idea. but I need to do more research about understanding psychic powers and the way the brain works BEFORE I can say anything or confirm that my idea might be true (even if only a little).

Brothers
May I ask where/how you got the idea that Ryouichi and Kenji are brothers?
Depending on your reply; I MAY or MAY NOT have an answer for you.
I do not know everything about this anime movie. :( All I can do is come up with ideas from my friends and myself and try to understand the anime movie and how we see it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please realize (and I'm SORRY for this!!! ><):
There is a limitation as to how much and what I study/analyze from this anime movie.
There are ONLY two anime's (Nerawareta Gakuen being one of them) I've studied/analyzed to the FULLEST extent till I could get as much as I could out of it.
But in BOTH anime's I ONLY study/analyze ONE character. That ONE character has EMOTIONALLY affected me and the way I see myself and other people.
I ONLY study/analyze the things that involve JUST that character.
For Nerawareta Gakuen; that ONE character is...
Ryouichi.
Feb 15, 2014 11:11 PM
Feb 2014
Seraveean said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
LazyJ said:
wakka9ca said:
I did not see the point of introducing this whole time traveling fiasco.

Probably the same point Shakespeare had when he introduced Faries in A Midsummer Night's dream.

Mayybe that's a little too pretentious, but the references to the play definitely aren't there at random.
My point is, don't worry about the SF side of the story too much. What this movie was conveying was mainly a story of love and relationships, not one of time travel and espers.

How are people missing this? I think its like this nachtwandler guy points out in it being more likean old sschool style sci-fi story ala Star Trek TV where the science fiction is used as a method of exploring modern social implicationa and trend by removing them from the context of our time period rather than the modern blockbuster sci-fi action sense ala Star Trek into the darkness. I get the sense many were anticipating the latter going by the comments in this thread as opposed to the talky teenage school life film it is. Once it became clear it was a brain bender I bet most people just said fuck it and decided on a low rating then and there and came to the thread to bitch.

I agree. The movie and its story were we well animated and conveyed imo. It took me a minute to catch on once they got the ball rolling but following it afterwards was a pleasant ride. The ending was expected but nonetheless was still heart touching. Truly this is a movie not made for most fans of anime but for a niche group. From what I have seen most people will look at this show and compliments its art but as for the elements used to convey the story and the story itself, I fear it is a bit beyond their grasp. The move was well done but do not take it for its face value.

I gave it a 10 having read the story; I feel that the movie does it justice. truly iy is both a sci-fi novel and romance greatly blended together.

What story did you read? The novel? The manga? or both?
Apr 15, 2014 10:56 PM

Jun 2007
Isn't this all just one big time paradox infinite loop? There is no "Kyougoku's dad" or "grandfather". It's always been Seki vs Kyougoku. At least that's what I gathered after finishing this.
Apr 23, 2014 11:28 AM

Apr 2013
Proof that gorgeous animation and art can't make a decent movie alone.
lets settle this... nvm lets go to the beach...dafuq?
the plot was all over the place, and they tried to focus on too many things at the same time that I even didn't know what they were trying to focus on by the end. A lot of confusing and unresolved things by the end, completely bad plot overall. Also Natsuki is annoying as fuck, can't believe he had to apologize that much for throwing a nut or whatever it was at her but she hits him violently at the slightest things and causes him nosebleeds so casually, and still has the decency to cry afterwords. Both of them are idiots.

Didn't give this a 1/10 for the visuals.
SalxerApr 23, 2014 11:35 AM
May 6, 2014 3:03 AM

Jan 2014
Nerawareta Gakuen... VERY STRONG CHAR DEVLOPMENT AND ENGAGING STORY!

I kid... I felt that the show took a nose dive as soon as the movie was half-way finished and by the end left me with some unanswered questions and dissatisfaction...
- why was the school council so anal about cellphones to the point of suspending students for having in possession of one even if they weren't using one.
-where the fk did ken's power come from. His powers is even more confusing than what i've seen in any shounen anime
-why were some characters so antagonistic (ie. stu council& girl who initially wanted to commit suicide)
-Ryouichi, who or what on earth is he ... he claims to be saving humanity but all he does this entire movie was spurt out crap from "a midsummer night's dream" which was confusing as heck.

By the end, it makes me wonder why would the makers flush the budget down the toilet and just fed us with some eye-candy animation, a confusing plot, a 'mediocre level of character development' and unmemorable characters.

I felt Hanazawa's (voice actor of "Kahori") effort was wasted on such a boring character who in the end I did not care for. The movie's only strong point was it's animation (oh the sakura leaves and dat sunset) and the sound just felt natural in this movie but IT WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!.
Although it seems like i'm bitching it throughout what i've just said ... but the movie kept me long enough to finish the movie instead of dropping it.
I give this a 5/10
Jun 16, 2014 12:56 PM
Jan 2010
animehm said:

I kid... I felt that the show took a nose dive as soon as the movie was half-way finished and by the end left me with some unanswered questions and dissatisfaction...
- why was the school council so anal about cellphones to the point of suspending students for having in possession of one even if they weren't using one.
-where the fk did ken's power come from. His powers is even more confusing than what i've seen in any shounen anime
-why were some characters so antagonistic (ie. stu council& girl who initially wanted to commit suicide)
-Ryouichi, who or what on earth is he ... he claims to be saving humanity but all he does this entire movie was spurt out crap from "a midsummer night's dream" which was confusing as heck.

By the end, it makes me wonder why would the makers flush the budget down the toilet and just fed us with some eye-candy animation, a confusing plot, a 'mediocre level of character development' and unmemorable characters.

I felt Hanazawa's (voice actor of "Kahori") effort was wasted on such a boring character who in the end I did not care for. The movie's only strong point was it's animation (oh the sakura leaves and dat sunset) and the sound just felt natural in this movie but IT WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!.
Although it seems like i'm bitching it throughout what i've just said ... but the movie kept me long enough to finish the movie instead of dropping it.
I give this a 5/10

Hey guys, found this post on a YouTube page by IceDragonez, it solved all most all my unanswered questions.

"Hope this Clears the story up.
Basically that girl Natsuki o 3o revived Ken when he was younger, and she turned back in time to save Ken and got a broken leg also losing her powers as a physic by overusing her powers, (She didn't actually get a broken leg from falling out of window when they were smaller), but instead Natsuki saved Ken from dying and got her leg injured. o _ o Umm... so Ken left to fix RyÅichi's Era with his power, and everyone forgot about Ken & RyÅichi because he wasn't actually part of their Era/Timeline orginally since Ken was revived by Natsuki from another timeline in time (So only Ken could go to the future, but they couldn't because they were living in the past of RyÅichi timeline, so it was pointless to make people Physic if he couldn't bring them there to future) , so Ken was suppose to die. And Grandfather was tired so he fell down after using his power to save Ken & RyÅichi from Earth's Wrath (Wouldn't let them alter time and steal Ken's power) to get back to their current time past time, and Ryoichi's Grandpa thought that killing them both and stealing Ken's power would alter the future, but clearly that wasn't the case since Ryoichi couldn't bring his mother to the future meaning he wouldn't be allowed to take Ken's power to the future or alter the past events that Earth/time wants it to lead (basically the time keeper is Earth and keeps charge of what needs to happen or can happen). But instead Ken decides to bring himself to the future/Era of RyÅichi using his power help RyÅichi's Era of future where Earth is dying and saves it, and Ryochi comes back one more time in spirit form which is right there next to Ken is Ryochi. (Confirmed)"
Jun 20, 2014 8:57 PM
Mar 2014
xxroy said:
animehm said:

I give this a 5/10

Hey guys, found this post on a YouTube page by IceDragonez, it solved all most all my unanswered questions.

"Hope this Clears the story up.
Basically that girl Natsuki o 3o revived Ken when he was younger, and she turned back in time to save Ken and got a broken leg also losing her powers as a physic by overusing her powers, (She didn't actually get a broken leg from falling out of window when they were smaller), but instead Natsuki saved Ken from dying and got her leg injured. o _ o Umm... so Ken left to fix Ry�ichi's Era with his power, and everyone forgot about Ken & Ry�ichi because he wasn't actually part of their Era/Timeline orginally since Ken was revived by Natsuki from another timeline in time (So only Ken could go to the future, but they couldn't because they were living in the past of Ry�ichi timeline, so it was pointless to make people Physic if he couldn't bring them there to future) , so Ken was suppose to die. And Grandfather was tired so he fell down after using his power to save Ken & Ry�ichi from Earth's Wrath (Wouldn't let them alter time and steal Ken's power) to get back to their current time past time, and Ryoichi's Grandpa thought that killing them both and stealing Ken's power would alter the future, but clearly that wasn't the case since Ryoichi couldn't bring his mother to the future meaning he wouldn't be allowed to take Ken's power to the future or alter the past events that Earth/time wants it to lead (basically the time keeper is Earth and keeps charge of what needs to happen or can happen). But instead Ken decides to bring himself to the future/Era of Ry�ichi using his power help Ry�ichi's Era of future where Earth is dying and saves it, and Ryochi comes back one more time in spirit form which is right there next to Ken is Ryochi. (Confirmed)"

so... how many sci-fi novels and book have that guy read? holy fuck, still confusing, but nvm the movie is still bad, it was a 7/10 cause the stuning visuals and perfect music and ost at the right moments, the story was a 1/10
Jun 22, 2014 3:29 AM
Apr 2014
I absolutely have no clue what in the living fuck is happening. The only good thing about this movie is the romance and that's it.
Jun 23, 2014 11:10 AM

Jan 2012
Well I really shouldn't have watched this movie... Nonsensical... It didn't make sense at all to me... and some background story would have been nice >< Like how the world came to an end cause I'm not sure having psychics would actually help, the cellphone incident, ...
And there are just so many questions unanswered --"

I also think the animation is just not that great... too bright somehow oO I thought it was nice at first though

Well anyway even though I say all this, it wasn't so bad since I watched it till the end ^^"
Jul 5, 2014 7:23 AM

Apr 2009
Wow this anime hates cellphones! LOL Other than that there is nothing else new, time travel and the paradoxes it might produce, parallel universes...moving on. If I've seen this maybe 5 years ago I would rate it higher but cynicism has crept in my bones, part of getting old I guess. XD So it's just 6/10 for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 17, 2014 4:03 PM
Oct 2009
AironicallyHuman said:

You've got Dense Average: a guy that's supposed to be a latent psychic when he can't even see the girl next-door from his childhood is jealous. Then you've got Angry Tsundere Childhood Friend, who exists solely to say "Baka!" and hit the lead. THEN you've got the Long-Haired Reserved Perfect, who - of course - is friends with the short-hair tomboy and creates a love triangle. AND THEN you've got Mysterious Transfer Student to complete the facepalm list of everything wrong with anime. I'm not even going to get into the overly blushy, oh-so-anime character designs.

Yet again a know-it-all who can't appreciate the subtlety in characters and atmosphere. You're right, on first glance, they seem to be the cliché characters of every Anime. However, you've already missed the first lesson this movie teaches, and that is that not everyone is what he pretends or seems to be. Ken seems like a dumb guy and a total airhead, but he actually has a strong sense of responsibility and his room is stuffed with innovations that show he's intelligent and creative. Yes, he is a psychic, but his powers have been sealed and only surface on occasion and by far less strong than they could be. In the beginning it is actually more of an intuitive streak.

I don't want to defend this anime as being one of the most amazing works that has ever been produced, but I do disagree with the people here who claim the story is crap and worthless, just because they didn't understand what it was all about. There are definitely holes that ought to be explained better, but eventually what is really important about the movie are the human relationships and the feelings connected.

I think this is the ONLY reason why Ryouichi introduces the cellphone rule: It's not really about only being able to use a small portion of the capacity of the brain, but it is about what impact this means of communication has on humans. People don't talk anymore, they're constantly texting each other, losing touch with their actual surroundings. They're losing the ability to talk about their feelings. Texting is so impersonal that you don't even have a way of sensing the other person's thoughts. So by banning cell-phones and awakening their psychic abilities, he wants to 'create' a generation that can easily understand each other. I think the reason why the world sank in chaos and ruin was that everyone became increasingly selfish and lonely, because they relied on technical innovations, without caring for human interaction. A world like that is bound to disappear eventually.

On the other hand stands Ken's and the girl's view, that psychic abilities don't have any use if you don't actually care for what is really in that person's heart. While you may be able to read their mind, it doesn't mean you get any closer or kinder (like that girl in the student council who burst into tears because she was pressured by her peers). They think you should have the right to choose to say or not to say what you feel. Eventually it is a sign of respect and maybe also of growing.

Personally, I enjoyed the anime immensely, because I thought it rightfully addressed problems we are facing every day. The character's and their emotions were portrayed very carefully, layer by layer. I don't even think the love triangle was forced, even though I usually hate love-triangles. Natsuki yelling at Ken that she feels like she is looking into a mirror each time she sees him, hit me hard. She might be a cliché character, but everyone who has lived through an unrequited love, should realize how perfectly she carried that role.

Eventually what disappointed me was that the ending seemed a bit rushed and had some holes that just weren't explained properly. Then again, this is unfortunately often the case with novel into anime adaptions.

With a bit less cliché and a better explanation of the final showdown, this could have become truly a masterpiece.

As it stands, i'd give it a 8/10.
Aug 5, 2014 12:20 AM
Jun 2009
What a pretentious piece of crap this was.
Aug 14, 2014 1:12 AM

Aug 2014
Wait... so the two guys leave at the end for what reason? The other guy never comes back anyways so why'd they go off in the first place?

Sep 21, 2014 4:04 PM

Jan 2014
Still a bit confused with the story but I guess it was a very good movie. When the credits rolled in I was kinda disappointed as it ended just like that, but then the after credits showed up and I was like 'oh this is actually quite good'. Also, I was surprised big time when I saw the art and animation, I didn't expect it to be this amazing. It's almost on par with Makoto Shinkai's work. And lastly, the soundtrack, well the opening theme song was kinda nice, there are also a few stand out OST, but the supercell song was the best one.

8/10
Recommend me an anime
Oct 1, 2014 3:06 PM

Sep 2007
Huh? I mean huh? Seriously huh?

Nov 2, 2014 7:56 AM
Jan 2011
Seraveean said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

How are people missing this? I think its like this nachtwandler guy points out in it being more likean old sschool style sci-fi story ala Star Trek TV where the science fiction is used as a method of exploring modern social implicationa and trend by removing them from the context of our time period rather than the modern blockbuster sci-fi action sense ala Star Trek into the darkness. I get the sense many were anticipating the latter going by the comments in this thread as opposed to the talky teenage school life film it is. Once it became clear it was a brain bender I bet most people just said fuck it and decided on a low rating then and there and came to the thread to bitch.

I agree. The movie and its story were we well animated and conveyed imo. It took me a minute to catch on once they got the ball rolling but following it afterwards was a pleasant ride. The ending was expected but nonetheless was still heart touching. Truly this is a movie not made for most fans of anime but for a niche group. From what I have seen most people will look at this show and compliments its art but as for the elements used to convey the story and the story itself, I fear it is a bit beyond their grasp. The move was well done but do not take it for its face value.

I gave it a 10 having read the story; I feel that the movie does it justice. truly iy is both a sci-fi novel and romance greatly blended together.

The animation was fantastic but the story - meh. I can say that. I really can say that because I watch the whole thing. You got to ask yourself what's the purpose of the story and did the story achieve that purpose. What's the point of intoroducing plots if the whole thing is a mess? No doubt there was some consistency in the beginning but nearing the end - the whole thing flew right out of the window! I am dissapointed. Clearly there is a lacking in the story in terms of its integrity at a structural level.
KanameFujiwaraNov 2, 2014 8:01 AM
Nov 27, 2014 9:46 AM

Jul 2012
zzz another plot twist >_>
I just like this movie cz has some romance and good music on it..
and yes I'm a "cat eyes" who like to watch good scenery like sea, clear sky and girls..

I finally understand what is going on at the end :D
sometime anime like this has a good point that always make u "curious" lol

Dec 5, 2014 1:03 PM

May 2014
That was really confusing and it was very hard for me to pay attention. For those who read the manga I guess the movie was easy to enjoy but as a stand alone movie it wasn't very good in my opinion. Yet the art was very beautiful as well as the characters. Anyway I liked it :D

To explain things in an easy way: PARADOX I think..
Dec 7, 2014 8:42 AM

Nov 2009
6/10 From me, It was okay and at times was very emotional, The animation and scenery was amazing, But the story was bleh and meh due to them not explaining half of the shit that is going on. Well Yeah it was good at times but there was some lack of foresight here due to lack of information, I think if this film had an extra 20-30 minutes it would have been fine.
Dec 16, 2014 8:34 AM
Jul 2008
I don't know why people here is saying the the grandpa died. He's clearly on a wheelchair in the ending, are they same person or not?
Jan 13, 2015 1:34 AM

Jul 2014
Great art and animation, extremely confusing story.

6/10
Feb 15, 2015 6:43 AM

Jan 2012
i swear i thought this was gonna be a school psychic battle movie

then the first scene when future dude and MC met made me think it was a gay anime

the mentioning of shakespeare made me want to puke

music and art were amazing

srsly the scenery was fucking awesome... it's like i'm there

everything else sux donkey balls

and here's my take on the story

-future dude came to start spreading psychic powers to save mankind, if shit doesn't work out, then he's gonna bring all the ones he could back to make more babies

-MC is one of the natural psychic that can pretty much do whatever the fuck he wants, and he wanted shit to stay the same the way it is

-MC also has a man crush on future dude

-neighbor chick also had psychic powers but she used it up to save MC (Her dream of MC in bed in her dream becomes her in bed instead)

-MC and future dude could potentially have the same mom

-Speedo scene was the shit

-cellphone ban blah blah.. human contact and all the psych that comes with it beats superpowers blah blah blah

---

and this shit keeps reinforcing the idea that ' 99% of anime movies I've watched are a total fucking waste of time'

fucking hell man..
Feb 16, 2015 9:39 PM

Aug 2014
It was definitely directed by a JJ Abrams fan, flares everywhere
Apr 2, 2015 12:27 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, that was pretty confusing, but I liked this movie a lot surprisingly.

I liked the theme though, that is to communicate with others. Having unknowns is what makes life interesting and seeing how the psychics lost so much as they gained the power to know each other. Being able to argue, cry, laugh are all part of life that probably wouldn't happen as the outcome is already know. I guess this was part of the reason why Kyougoku fell in love with Harukawa.

Satsuki while an overused character, I can't help but to like her too. When she was with Harukawa, there would be 3 sides to her. One that wants to get Harukawa for a selfish reason, one as a person that understand her situation, and one that wants to help a friend. Such as when Natsuki felt like she was genuinely there for Harukawa as a friend and then that time on the beach. When Natsuki was questioned, I really brought the fact that by wanting to learn or tell the important events in our lives, that is what makes it treasurable.

The whole time travel thing with how Seki's grandfather is also a part of it led to many unanswered questions. The cell phone banning seemed to have just stopped itself from being so extreme as if Kyougoku never existed. That would seem likely as everyone that disappeared was back and smiling, with how everybody forgotten the time after the transfer student come.

There is always a natural flow to things, it is just there. Being grateful and happy for what we already have, can't stop liking shows like these that are really simple yet being one of the most complex thing to achieve.

Great art and music forming a relatively enjoyable anime. Just realized how fragmented my thoughts are but this will do.
Jun 18, 2015 4:22 PM
Jun 2015
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????!!!!!!! THEEEEE FUUUUUUUUCCCK!!!!!!!!!! with that ending!!?????????????? Oh my god, my brain is just exploded! WTH man! Just like that? I am done, really done, i thought it is so odd when i wanna watch this movie, the rating just 6/10? But why, the artwork is so amazing, almost like shinkai mikoto movie, and now i know why..

1. Misleading title, there is nothing to do with school war, just when they about to duel at school, the MC just ask the future travelers to go to the beach, and then they all have fun like it was nothing, my reaction when that happened is just purely WTF?! What? How? Why? I dont understand, but i still hold the situation and be patience at that moment until i completely lost
2. Yes, the plot is just ruin, i read other review about this movie and how bad it is, and i still try to convince myself that they were wrong, it cant be, and after watched for myself i have no objection, in half of movie, where he explain the situation i still get in what is going on, then in the midway to ending it just so abstract, random, non relateable story
3. There is a lot of potential sad scenes in this movie, i 'almost' tear a little, but i keep reasoning myself why i do that? I dont really attached to the characters in this movie, they also not really good at developing them, it just a story about love, then bam, rejection, unrequited love, hanging love, separation etc, in the end i just dont get it at all
4. All those time travelers, time stopping, telephaty, all those mind control is just useless, dont expect like Haruhi series, just like when the desperate girl want to dead then be his minion just like that
5. Love, i am sorry, but i can stand it, here is the deal, your childhood friend kissed you, and then you just act like nothing happened, at least answer her feeling, yes or not! whether you like another girl who turned out like another guy, and that girl dont like you, dont be a pussy! And you time travelers, you even know your dad is wrong, and you made a girl love you, and yet you still dont have more reason to stay because you already know the future cannot be change, in the end wasting your life and MC life or they memories to everyone else? Fuck me that why!
6 Last thing, the soundtrack is too fuckin good but the movie is make me say AJSHFIUWGBD^@&*%$&%@$)%)&! and i am a big fans of supercell, especially the OP song, and yet they use they song in this terrible movie it is a fuckin disgrace, i could tear like a bucket after hearing that song, they could use the song to more good movie like 5cm per second, then it will be deadly combination to dry your tear from your eyes!

Argh movie this ruined just my day!
I regret watching this, i have so many question left in my head spinning around like a duck

Bad English sorry as always!
Jul 24, 2015 9:06 PM

May 2015
He came back and all she says is "Baka" xDDD Nice ending.. huhuhu Why did Kyogoku never came back?
They say that Harukawa is Kyogoku's mother... is it true? Somehwat confusing but It was really great that Seki came back. Seki x Natsuki <3 <3 <3
Oct 31, 2015 6:07 PM

Nov 2013
This movie really looks great. But, I had to stop watching after 23 minutes ( the scene, where Natsuki slaps Seki ). And then she acts, like she is the one that is hurt. At this moment I thought, drop dead bitch. Maybe it's ridiculous, to drop an anime because of one character ( not that the others are really better ), but I couldn't stand this any longer.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 31, 2015 7:10 PM

Nov 2013
Seraphrim said:
wakka9ca said:
I don't think there are English translations. However, the author Mayumura is a well-known SF writer with his famous Shiseikan series. How much I wish they would adapt the Shiseikan series instead of this. Heck, if they simply adapted the original Nerawareta Gakuen it would have been much better (although hard to fit in a single movie)

I agree. If the movie had been about 2.5 hours then i think it would have turned out alot better than what it was. Actually reading the story on my part is what allowed me to score at a 9. It was not a great adaptation that will appeal to many people but for readers of the novel I think it will go over fine.

@GulityKing For you comment that movies should appeal to a broad audience I have to disagree with you there. Niche films are not uncommon. There is one anime that I know was a niche film but cannot remember its name.(will go through my list to find it) Whether or not the director wanted to target a specific audience or not is unknown to me but from how the movie turned out, accidental or not, it appears to me that they might have been targeted the readers as opposed to the larger audience in general. Considering that I do not think the book is printed in English I believe that this movie will not go down well in the West. This thread is proof of that.

The movie aired first in Scotland, according to Wikipedia, so I think they were targeting the larger audience. From which the most people most likely never read the novel. So they should have the movie work as a standalone work.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 6, 2015 8:24 PM

Jun 2013
It could have been a good Slice of Life, but because of a freak and poorly explained plot, turned a confused and incoherent movie.
Dec 9, 2015 12:13 AM

Mar 2015
10/10 for the visuals
1/10 for everything else
Dec 21, 2015 7:42 AM

Mar 2014
Too much convoluted and unnecessary bullshit

3/10

At least the visuals and the sound were nice
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 21, 2016 7:51 AM
Aug 2013
That was.. a pretty hollow and bitter ending. o.O Just kinda felt like it was building up for something but then nothing happened and nothing was explained.

The visuals and soundtrack was great though and i liked the interactions and the romance bits, but the story was a little all over the place.
May 28, 2016 8:51 PM

Nov 2014
yeah, the visuals and soundtrack was really really good, the story however was....
Jul 2, 2016 5:24 PM
Dec 2015
I loved this movie the animation was perfect but I'm so fucken confused haha. Can anyone explain what happened? They were both forgotten in the end?!
Jul 21, 2016 7:40 PM

Jan 2013
9/10, that post above helped explain the story but the romance was pretty good and best girl won so I'm satisfied. Still the best looking anime out their, maybe rivaled by only Redline.
Aug 28, 2016 6:27 AM

Aug 2016
Just wanted to share my own theory based on how I understand the movie. I hope it will be helpful to you guys. Although its a bit too tad late but still won't hurt tho xD

Hope that clarified some things up for you. Ciao :D
Maple-SenpaiAug 28, 2016 5:31 PM
Sep 23, 2016 8:18 AM

Jun 2015

I lol'd a bit too much.
Nov 4, 2016 11:22 PM

Nov 2015
That was a bizarre movie. I really don't have much to say beisdes I really enjoyed the art style and some of it was kind of good but man did it fall apart at the end...sigh. Also kind of refreshing that the next door neighbor won in the end..haven't seen it much in the anime I've seen.

5.5/10 maybe a 6..idk that ending was rough.
Aug 26, 2017 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
wow , how disappointing! D:

this movie has such a pretty animation style, and the song at the beginning was gorgeous.. i expected much better! such a confusing plot..

3.5/10
May 14, 2018 1:51 AM
Apr 2018
Glad seki made it back . I like his personality. And I don't care about that other guy and his girl.
May 18, 2019 2:28 PM
Mar 2019
YALL THE ENDING HAS ME KINDA MAD LIKE, HOW COME KENJI AND NATSUKI GET THEIR HAPPY ENDING AND RYOICHI AND HARUKAWA DONT. DIDNT KENJI GO W RYOICHI TO GO TIME TRAVEL OR SOMETHING SO THAT THEY CAN BELONG IN THEIR ERA. SO WHERE THE FUCK WAS HE WHEN HE CAME BACK ARE YALL KIDDING ME— LITERALLY THE BEST SHIP DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE SEPARATED LIKE THIS YALL CAN HEAR FROM MY LAWYER
Jun 24, 2020 4:12 AM
Sep 2017
That sure was a convoluted mess.
Feb 24, 2021 10:37 PM

Nov 2013
After being impressed with the character designs in "Grimgar", I wanted to see more of Mieko Hosoi's work, and I found this film.

I must say, it wasn't too bad. Albeit, this time travel stuff gets really confusing, plus maybe something got lost in translation from original Japanese. Even so, I found the visuals, and story telling to be delightful.

There were times when the animation quality hit me like, "wow, that's realistic" or "wow, that's really beautifully done!" Visuals were great with lots of eye candy and brilliant colors.

This needs a definite re-watch, as I was too busy reading subtitles the first time around to really notice everything.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» What did everyone think?

Zeroro1995 - Oct 20, 2012

38 by JohnnyJayce »»
May 22, 2022 10:10 AM

» SPOILER Nerawageta Gakuen: Possible explanation of the movie (+ending)

acab1312 - Nov 15, 2015

5 by Kabuz »»
Apr 26, 2021 5:25 PM

» Nerawareta Gakuen Soon To Get Dubbed

TheDiabolicEsper - May 14, 2016

4 by TheDiabolicEsper »»
Jun 4, 2017 7:43 PM

» Name of the Song, please help!!!

MrJules - Jun 25, 2013

9 by renzbiohazard »»
Sep 21, 2014 3:55 PM

» Preview Video

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2012

13 by Hase0 »»
Jun 15, 2013 1:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.