Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2013 12:06 AM

Apr 2013
Jamada,sir,you're beyond impossible to recover.This isnt a Sena vs Yozora and it isnt a secret that the majority likes the busty female character more due to her appearence.Dont deny that because it is a fact.
I see you're a hater and refuse to understand all characters in the show.Note that in the episode with the swimming pool she said she actually LIKES her nickname,in fact she even answer to it easily without anykind of sad reactions,and it is the first time someone giving her a nickname.I had a nickname too,I had several nicknames but you dont see me turn like you into hating that person because he gave me a nickname.Stop playing the lawyer for Sena on this matter.

And really,REALLY stop it with the icing on the cake,the looks of a girl,real life or not it doesnt matter,is the bait.Basically is like strongly denying that you dont like big young breasts.It is a fact that we like them but yet you deny it.

P.S: I feel like I'm talking to the walls.You want to make me look like I'm hating her so badly?
Then you're no different from the Yozora you have in your mind.
What a fool I am that I even posted here,I felt the stench of this income long before I was even intending to post.
FluffyFleshJun 12, 2013 12:19 AM
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 12, 2013 12:24 AM
Dec 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
Jamada,sir,you're beyond impossible to recover.This isnt a Sena vs Yozora and it isnt a secret that the majority likes the busty female character more due to her appearence.Dont deny that because it is a fact.
I see you're a hater and refuse to understand all characters in the show.Note that in the episode with the swimming pool she said she actually LIKES her nickname,in fact she even answer to it easily without anykind of sad reactions,and it is the first time someone giving her a nickname.I had a nickname too,I had several nicknames but you dont see me turn like you into hating that person because he gave me a nickname.Stop playing the lawyer for Sena on this matter.

And really,REALLY stop it with the icing on the cake,the looks of a girl,real life or not it doesnt matter,is the bait.Basically is like strongly denying that you dont like big young breasts.It is a fact that we like them but yet you deny it.

P.S: I feel like I'm talking to the walls.You want to make me look like I'm hating her so badly?
Then you're no different from the Yozora you have in your mind.
What a fool I am that I even posted here,I felt the stench of this income long before I was even intending to post.

And you lack reading comprehension.

I've praised Yozora for her good points. I've objected to your 90% comment because it was insulting to the Sena fans who like her not because of "tits and ass" (your words). I've already recognized that looks play a role, but I objected specifically to your suggestion that 90% of Sena's fans would abandon her if she didn't have big breasts because it implies that she has little else but for her looks - which again is nonsense! You've been an ass and that's all there is to it.

I've pointed out MYSELF that Sena likes her nickname. That's even one of the reasons I like her - because she sees Yozora's insult as endearing rather than something to get upset over.

Stop being an ass.
Jun 12, 2013 12:26 AM

Dec 2011
Jamada said:
I've objected to your 90% comment because it was insulting to the Sena fans who like her not because of "tits and ass" (your words).

How is claiming that 90% of the fans of a character like her for the wrong reasons in any way insulting towards the 10% that don't?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 12, 2013 12:28 AM
Dec 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
Jamada said:
I've objected to your 90% comment because it was insulting to the Sena fans who like her not because of "tits and ass" (your words).

How is claiming that 90% of the fans of a character like her for the wrong reasons in any way insulting towards the 10% that don't?

Because it's a mischaracterization of her fanbase. It's also implying that the other characters don't have the same type of fan who likes a character specifically because of their looks - that Sena is solely benefiting popularity-wise from her looks. Again, this is false.
Jun 12, 2013 12:34 AM

Mar 2012
Here is the list of why I don't like Sena (feel free to proof it otherwise):

1. Because she is idiot (pure or inocent or whatever you like) that can get easily fooled by other.
2. Because she is too haugthy and mighty because;
a)She is principal daugther.
b)Have a good look.
c)Have a good grade.
3. Her attitude to Kobato.
4. Her don't give a damn attitude.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 12, 2013 12:34 AM

Apr 2013
Yep,you're irrecuperable.You continue denying that the majority likes her for the looks.I said it myself,when I use percentage usually I do it of reflex to say that a majority likes a thing.And,no,I'm not an ass because I'm not hating any of the characters.
If being an ass is saying why the busty girl is more popular than the flat-chested and yet no appealing body then yes I am an ass.Look over theyr facebook,Sena is everywhere and mostly almost naked.Even the producers know what I'm saying is true,it's an overwhelming proof why she's popular.I invite you to search on facebook "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT".Go ahead,tell me what you see,compare the number of Sena's posts to any other character.
Also it's your interpretation.And again it's your interpretation of "equivallent" of saying the same thing on other fans.The majority of Rika fans like her perverted thoughts,the only great look on Rika is her face and all other characters face are great looking.
FluffyFleshJun 12, 2013 12:37 AM
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 12, 2013 12:39 AM
Dec 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
Yep,you're irrecuperable.You continue denying that the majority likes her for the looks.I said it myself,when I use percentage usually I do it of reflex to say that a majority likes a thing.And,no,I'm not an ass because I'm not hating any of the characters.
If being an ass is saying why the busty girl is more popular than the flat-chested and yet no that appealing body then yes I am an ass.Look over theyr facebook,Sena is everywhere and mostly almost naked.Even the producers know what I'm saying is true,it's an overwhelming proof why she's popular.I invite you to search on facebook "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT".Go ahead,tell me what you see,compare the number of Sena's posts to any other character.

Again, this is a fallacious argument.

Sena's popular - TRUE.
Because Sena's popular, there are lots of pictures of her - TRUE.
Sena has big breasts - TRUE.
Sena's popular BECAUSE of her big breasts - AN ARROGANT ASSUMPTION.
Jun 12, 2013 12:42 AM

Mar 2012
Jamada said:
BloodyNightsky said:
If being an ass is saying why the busty girl is more popular than the flat-chested and yet no that appealing body then yes I am an ass.Look over theyr facebook,Sena is everywhere and mostly almost naked.Even the producers know what I'm saying is true,it's an overwhelming proof why she's popular.I invite you to search on facebook "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT".Go ahead,tell me what you see,compare the number of Sena's posts to any other character.

Sena's popular - TRUE.
Why is that arrogant? Physical appearance is matter much more to some people more than other atribute.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 12, 2013 12:45 AM
Dec 2012
NeoAnkara said:
Why is that arrogant? Physical appearance is matter much more to some people more than other atribute.

Ultimately, my message is this: there's more to Sena than her looks. By trying to attribute 90% of her popularity to looks alone, he's denigrating her character almost completely.

I'm fine with those who are critical of Sena like you, NeoAnkara. I just don't like those who make up bull shit stats to help their point of view.
Jun 12, 2013 12:48 AM

Apr 2013
Jamada said:
BloodyNightsky said:

Sena's popular - TRUE.

You're a hypocrite.She is popular because of that,that's why the majority of fanservice is with her.I'm not saying it is wrong or anything,I'm saying THATS WHY SHE'S SO POPULAR,THAT'S WHY THE MAJORITY OF HER FANS LIKES HER.Imagine a character with same personality as her but without the great looking body,and I'll tell you a secret:THERE ARE ANIMES LIKE THAT AND THE ONE WITH THIS PERSONALITY IS HATED AS MUCH AS YOU HATE YOZORA.
I bet on anything you want,if Yozora was the one with great looking body there would be someone like you saying there is more than you see and it is true but this thread is asking WHY SHE IS SO POPULAR.
You completely ignored the explanation of that "90%".OK,I'll repeat it.I tend to pull of percentage out of habit,that percentage basically means "the majority".
FluffyFleshJun 12, 2013 12:51 AM
Jun 12, 2013 12:53 AM
Dec 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
You're a hypocrite.She is popular because of that,that's why the majority of fanservice is with her.I'm not saying it is wrong or anything,I'm say THATS WHY SHE'S SO POPULAR,THAT'S WHY THE MAJORITY OF HER FANS LIKES HER.Imagine a character with same personality as her but without the great looking body,and I'll tell you a secret:THERE ARE ANIMES LIKE THAT AND THE ONE WITH THIS PERSONALITY IS HATED AS MUCH AS YOU HATE YOZORA.
I bet on anything you want,if Yozora was the one with great looking body there would be someone like you saying there is more than you see and it is true but this thread is asking WHY SHE IS SO POPULAR.
You completely ignored the explanation of that "90%".OK,I'll repeat it.I tend to pull of percentage of of habit,that percentage basically means "the majority".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

P1 Men generally like boobs. Okay.
P2 Women generally have boobs. Okay.
C1 Men generally like women. Okay.

It's not okay to take P1 and P2 to get C2 (see below).

C2 Men ALWAYS like women.

You're making broad assumptions of Sena's fanbase solely because she has large boobs. This is a logical fallacy.

Simply put, you're wrong.
Jun 12, 2013 12:54 AM

Mar 2012
And one other thing I don't like is now that she is become the center of attention in Next unlike in the first season that have balanced screen time with Yozora. It look like that they are throwing the character aside for her and Rika who become more prominent now away. Just look at Next last episode.
Jun 12, 2013 12:55 AM

Dec 2011
Jamada said:
BloodyNightsky said:
You're a hypocrite.She is popular because of that,that's why the majority of fanservice is with her.I'm not saying it is wrong or anything,I'm say THATS WHY SHE'S SO POPULAR,THAT'S WHY THE MAJORITY OF HER FANS LIKES HER.Imagine a character with same personality as her but without the great looking body,and I'll tell you a secret:THERE ARE ANIMES LIKE THAT AND THE ONE WITH THIS PERSONALITY IS HATED AS MUCH AS YOU HATE YOZORA.
You completely ignored the explanation of that "90%".OK,I'll repeat it.I tend to pull of percentage of of habit,that percentage basically means "the majority".

P1 Men generally like boobs. Okay.
P2 Women generally have boobs. Okay.
C1 Men generally like women. Okay.

It's not okay to take P1 and P2 to get C2 (see below).

C2 Men ALWAYS like women.

You're making broad assumptions of Sena's fanbase solely because she has large boobs. This is a logical fallacy.

Simply put, you're wrong.

Oh the joys of someone using a logical fallacy in attempting to call out another person using a logical fallacy.

Since we're quoting wikipedia articles, have a look at this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Your example bears no relation to what BloodyNightsky is claiming.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 12, 2013 12:56 AM

Jan 2010
Carnivores.
Jun 12, 2013 1:02 AM
Dec 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
Oh the joys of someone using a logical fallacy in attempting to call out another person using a logical fallacy.

Since we're quoting wikipedia articles, have a look at this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Your example bears no relation to what BloodyNightsky is claiming.

That's not a straw man. A straw man would be:
P1 Men like large breasts.
P2 Large breasts give women back pain.
C Men are misogynists.
Jun 12, 2013 1:08 AM

Dec 2011

Person 1 has position X.
Person 2 disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially similar position Y.
Person 2 attacks position Y, concluding that X is false/incorrect/flawed.

And how is that not exactly what you did - twice now in fact. Yes, that's right. You just used another straw man to try to argue that your last one wasn't.
Jun 12, 2013 1:13 AM
Dec 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:

Person 1 has position X.
Person 2 disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially similar position Y.
Person 2 attacks position Y, concluding that X is false/incorrect/flawed.

And how is that not exactly what you did - twice now in fact. Yes, that's right. You just used another straw man to try to argue that your last one wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_assertion

If you disagree, why not take my original position, break it into individual premises and refute them one by one?
Jun 12, 2013 1:13 AM

Apr 2013

You're denying a proof that is present everywhere in the world when it comes to great looking girls.The majority of boys likes X busty girl because of her looks,yet there is a minority that approaches her out of friendship and interest in her personality,wants to know her better but the majority is too overwhelming to see the minority,to see whats in the book.
I know I mentioned my childhood friend several times but now it is a perfect example,she's blonde with blue eyes and have breast(god I hope she doesnt sees the post,she'll karate chop me for atleast a month)above average for her age(they are not big nor small but noticeable),she's 20.Do you know how the majority of boys,collegues from work and from college also the boys where we live,talk about her?
Damn dude she looks sooo great I'd bang that,you're so lucky to stay close to her....so,how many times did you bang her?
Most of conversations look like that but there are guys that sees beyond her looks and dont talk about her like that and dont like her because of that.But theyr number I've met is soo little that I can count them on my both hands fingers.
I asked them for a opinion on her,out of curiosity,they said "I cant give an opinion on her since I dont know her and I dont want to judge on appearence" this kind of answer.They are the minority.
Jun 12, 2013 1:16 AM
Dec 2012
BloodyNightsky said:

You're denying a proof that is present everywhere in the world when it comes to great looking girls.The majority of boys likes X busty girl because of her looks,yet there is a minority that approaches her out of friendship and interest in her personality,wants to know her better but the majority is too overwhelming to see the minority,to see whats in the book.
I know I mentioned my childhood friend several times but now it is a perfect example,she's blonde with blue eyes and have breast(god I hope she doesnt sees the post,she'll karate chop me for atleast a month)above average for her age(they are not big nor small but noticeable),she's 20.Do you know how the majority of boys,collegues from work and from college also the boys where we live,talk about her?
Damn dude she looks sooo great I'd bang that,you're so lucky to stay close to her....so,how many times did you bang her?
Most of conversations look like that but there are guys that sees beyond her looks and dont talk about her like that and dont like her because of that.But theyr number I've met is soo little that I can count them on my both hands fingers.
I asked them for a opinion on her,out of curiosity,they said "I cant give an opinion on her since I dont know her and I dont want to judge on appearence" this kind of answer.They are the minority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Jun 12, 2013 1:18 AM

Mar 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
(god I hope she doesnt sees the post,she'll karate chop me for atleast a month)
Who is she? Sohara?
Jun 12, 2013 1:20 AM

Dec 2011
Jamada:-

In case you really can't see it, I'll help show you the problem.

In your straw man argument (leaving aside for now the fact that reaching C1 from P1 and P2 is in itself not a logically valid argument), the main difference in validity between reaching C1 from P1 and P2 and reaching C2 from the same point is that for C1 you are going from a claim about the majority to a claim about the majority - in both case allowing for exceptions; for C2, meanwhile, you go from a claim about the majority, allowing for exceptions, to a universal statement, allowing no exceptions.

At no point did BloodyNightsky go from a claim about the majority to a universal statement. Unless I have missed something, at all times BloodyNightsky's argument remained a claim about the majority. Thus BloodyNightsky's argument closer resembles, from a logical perspective, the argument which you claim to be okay to the argument which you claim is not. Thus disproving the argument leading to C2 is irrelevant to disproving BloodyNightsky's argument.
Jun 12, 2013 1:20 AM

Mar 2012
@Jamada

Can you back up your statement by your own word not using simple copy pasta link?
Jun 12, 2013 1:25 AM

Dec 2011

In the absence of large scale studies, anecdotal evidence is entirely acceptable. The need to treat it with a bit of caution does not make using it to back up an argument any less valid.

And I don't know why you cited the correlation does not imply causation article there. It has no relation to the statement you are quoting. Or, at least, I don't see any. If I am wrong, please actually explain yourself a bit.
Jun 12, 2013 1:26 AM

Apr 2013
That was mean,NeoAnkara.No,I invite her often to my apartment,when we both have time,to watch some movies she wants or play some games and she often searches my browsers history and bully me with it.Once,she found porn in the history and she made jokes about it at the range everyone in the neighbourhood heard a bit of it.When she found out I made an example of her she slapped me and didnt talk to me for 2 weeks.That's why I'm gonna bury it.Also we,both,went in middle school to a karate course,it was Jujitsu,she obtained before quitting purple belt and I earned the green one.

Jamada,you're stubborness is beyond godlike power level.The proof is everywhere in this world,yet you deny that.Search or ask for friends that know girls like that,they will tell you the same thing as I did.
Jun 12, 2013 1:28 AM

Mar 2012
No I don't want to sound mean. It was just since I'm not well verse in english something like checking the link is a chore and broke the disscusion to me.
Jun 12, 2013 1:30 AM
Dec 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
Jamada:-

In case you really can't see it, I'll help show you the problem.

In your straw man argument (leaving aside for now the fact that reaching C1 from P1 and P2 is in itself not a logically valid argument), the main difference in validity between reaching C1 from P1 and P2 and reaching C2 from the same point is that for C1 you are going from a claim about the majority to a claim about the majority - in both case allowing for exceptions; for C2, meanwhile, you go from a claim about the majority, allowing for exceptions, to a universal statement, allowing no exceptions.

At no point did BloodyNightsky go from a claim about the majority to a universal statement. Unless I have missed something, at all times BloodyNightsky's argument remained a claim about the majority. Thus BloodyNightsky's argument closer resembles, from a logical perspective, the argument which you claim to be okay to the argument which you claim is not. Thus disproving the argument leading to C2 is irrelevant to disproving BloodyNightsky's argument.

This is my argument:
The cum hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy can be expressed as follows:

A occurs in correlation with B.
Therefore, A causes B.

In this type of logical fallacy, one makes a premature conclusion about causality after observing only a correlation between two or more factors. Generally, if one factor (A) is observed to only be correlated with another factor (B), it is sometimes taken for granted that A is causing B, even when no evidence supports it. This is a logical fallacy because there are at least five possibilities:

A may be the cause of B.
B may be the cause of A.
some unknown third factor C may actually be the cause of both A and B.
there may be a combination of the above three relationships. For example, B may be the cause of A at the same time as A is the cause of B (contradicting that the only relationship between A and B is that A causes B). This describes a self-reinforcing system.
the "relationship" is a coincidence or so complex or indirect that it is more effectively called a coincidence (i.e. two events occurring at the same time that have no direct relationship to each other besides the fact that they are occurring at the same time). A larger sample size helps to reduce the chance of a coincidence, unless there is a systematic error in the experiment.

In other words, there can be no conclusion made regarding the existence or the direction of a cause and effect relationship only from the fact that A and B are correlated. Determining whether there is an actual cause and effect relationship requires further investigation, even when the relationship between A and B is statistically significant, a large effect size is observed, or a large part of the variance is explained.

This is BloodyNightsky's argument: Big boobs occur in correlation with popularity, therefore Sena's big boobs are the reason she's popular.

I could just as easily say: People like honesty, therefore Sena's honesty is the reason she's popular.

It's a fallacy because it isn't founded in logic, but in the assumption that there's a single cause for (90% of) her popularity.

If there were a study done that showed that Sena's popularity were because of her boobs, then I could accept the assertion. But there is no such study.
Jun 12, 2013 1:37 AM

Apr 2013
You still hold on that "90%"?
You're a hopeless cause.I see you desperatly search for everything to make you look right,I dont claim I'm absolutely right but a good bait always catches alot of fishes,yet you deny that a good bait doesnt do that.
Also,I quit,you're forcing your opinion on me which clearly I know much more than you about popularity of great looking girls among boys.I use this argument with great looking girls in real life because this is the case.

BloodyNightsky here,I'm leaving the bunker,over!
Do you copy,base?

Jun 12, 2013 1:39 AM
Dec 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
You're a hopeless cause.I see you desperatly search for everything to make you look right,I dont claim I'm absolutely right but a good bait always catches alot of fishes,yet you deny that a good bait doesnt do that.
Also,I quit,you're forcing your opinion on me which clearly I know much more than you about popularity of great looking girls among boys.I use this argument with great looking girls in real life because this is the case.

Do you copy,base?

The "90%" isn't especially important. Even if I used "majority" in that statement it would be equally fallacious.

P.S. Using Aoi Yusa's innocent smile for your own nefarious purpose, for shame!!

P.P.S. I'm just kidding. But really, you should expect flames when you leave flame bait.
JamadaJun 12, 2013 1:45 AM
Jun 12, 2013 1:49 AM

Dec 2011
I'm out of this argument too, for almost the opposite reason of BloodyNightsky - you (Jamada) finally made a post (#66) that made sense.

Of course, I still think you're wrong, but I can't be bothered to argue it out (which is why I didn't enter into the debate earlier). But, just to explain how I can hold that position, the claim "the majority of Sena fans don't like her because of her appearance" is no more justified than "the majority of Sena fans like her because of her appearance". Don't bother collating evidence or statistics (which would almost certainly have serious sampling biases anyway) as that would be a waste of your time - I'm not going to argue it out any further and the next full stop on this post will be my last in this argument as far as I'm concerned.
Jun 12, 2013 1:56 AM
Dec 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
I'm out of this argument too, for almost the opposite reason of BloodyNightsky - you (Jamada) finally made a post (#66) that made sense.

Of course, I still think you're wrong, but I can't be bothered to argue it out (which is why I didn't enter into the debate earlier). But, just to explain how I can hold that position, the claim "the majority of Sena fans don't like her because of her appearance" is no more justified than "the majority of Sena fans like her because of her appearance". Don't bother collating evidence or statistics (which would almost certainly have serious sampling biases anyway) as that would be a waste of your time - I'm not going to argue it out any further and the next full stop on this post will be my last in this argument as far as I'm concerned.

You have my respect. I admit, I try to avoid making generalized statements but occasionally fall victim to a logical fallacy or three - especially when I take the flame bait. No hard feelings.

I will say this in my defense: I originally intended to declare my own reasons for liking her - not generalizations - but took offense to that guy's post and it spiraled out of control.

A peace offering: http://oglaf.com/laridae/

Don't read any of the other stories there unless you want to be subjected to a lot of NSFW content.

P.S. I don't believe I ever said that the majority of Sena fans like her *solely* for non-boob reasons. I think we're actually in 100% agreement when the crap is cleared away.
JamadaJun 12, 2013 2:16 AM
Jun 12, 2013 2:08 AM

Jul 2008
The reason I like Sena the best is because she is the underdog between her and Yozora.

It's obvious that Yozora is the favored pick and probably will be the winner (I currently don't know where the manga or anime is at, story-wise)... I don't have a problem with this outcome.

I believe choosing Sena would make for a better story, but even if it wasn't for the story, I'd still choose Sena for her personality (not for her other "personality"), but if I could choose any combo, it would be the main character and the smart chick (Rika?)... because that would be hilarious.
Jun 12, 2013 2:12 AM

Mar 2012
BlackTruth said:
The reason I like Sena the best is because she is the underdog between her and Yozora.

It's obvious that Yozora is the favored pick and probably will be the winner (I currently don't know where the manga or anime is at, story-wise)... I don't have a problem with this outcome.

I believe choosing Sena would make for a better story, but even if it wasn't for the story, I'd still choose Sena for her personality (not for her other "personality"), but if I could choose any combo, it would be the main character and the smart chick (Rika?)... because that would be hilarious.
You must be haven't watch Next. The story is now greatly favor in Sena now and she strip one by one something that make Yozora "special person" to Kodaka.
Jun 12, 2013 2:30 AM

Jul 2008
NeoAnkara said:
BlackTruth said:

You must be haven't watch Next. The story is now greatly favor in Sena now and she strip one by one something that make Yozora "special person" to Kodaka.

You are correct... I misread the title. I guess I should read more carefully. Honestly, I stopped watching the show because it was boring, and I haven't read the manga in awhile so I might be a little behind
Jun 12, 2013 2:32 AM
Nov 2010
NeoAnkara said:

Like in the middle of a detective novel, all evidence points to one person. You know how it always ends up...
Jun 12, 2013 11:07 AM
Oct 2012
BlackTruth said:

Underdog? Sena is smarter (tests), more attractive (to most people), more talented (as seen in the festivals), richer, and has more social power (as evident in the fight with Yusa) than Yozora. That Yozora can fight her evenly is a testament to Yozora.

Yozora's attack strength is that she can spot self-delusions and exploit it: for instance when Sena lied about not wanting to go to Karaoke, or that she isn't a pervert when it comes to eroge, or that the Black Dragon didn't scare he; for Maria that she isn't as smart as Maria thinks herself to be; Yusa quoting rules she didn't understand, etc. The reason Yozora can't get a bead on Rika is that Rika is honest (which has been outside of Yozora's experience with people). Yozora's great defense is she is who she says she is (as shown in the galge). Yozora failing is her not knowing what relationship she wants from Kodaka, and her being dishonest about it opens her to attack (she plagiarized because she wanted to use the story to express herself to Kodaka).

The novels are more equal in treatment, but in the animation Sena has definitely received the better treatment. In the novels Sena is remarkably cruel, particularly to Yukimura (her attitude towards her makes Yozora's seem benign) and has none of the development that the animation implied (in the 8th novel she is as cruel and self-delusional as the first). So the animation is definitely in Sena's favor, not Yozora.

As for who the most interesting character is, it is still Yozora. We pretty much know everything there is to know about the other characters (except what exactly the family situation with Yukimura wanting to be a "man" is about). We know nothing about why Sora turned into Yozora and nothing about her family situation. We also know that Kodaka has no clue about Yozora (the novel makes this clearer than the animation, particularly the battle with Rika), and that despite what he says, he was the one most trapped by the past, not her. Hell we don't even know what Yozora really feels towards Kodaka (if love why did she wear a jersey on a date, if like why does it seem like it is love, or is it that even she doesn't know the difference (the BL animation suggests this)). If Sena is Everest, Yozora is Mauna Kea (so much lies below the surface). That is why I am really looking forward to the 9th novel, this should be revealed (though the trouble is that once we know this the series is pretty much over).
Jun 12, 2013 11:15 AM

Apr 2013
The author is re-writting the volume and I bet it will re-write it as to favor Sena.
As far as I am concerned,I know any character that brings cash in theyr business will be favored.
Jun 12, 2013 11:20 AM

May 2013
She plays porn games in a Church.
'Nuff said.
Jun 12, 2013 3:50 PM

Sep 2009
BloodyNightsky said:

Do you copy,base?

I gotta say I've been watching this thread and I kinda feel bad that your opinion keeps getting shoved aside =( You do have some good points but people on here seem to be enjoying a stubborness debate so only the bad can be seen ^^; Just needed to say I'm sorry that you don't seemingly get to enjoy this debate anymore and that not everyone is against you on this you seemed to not have many if any allies left on this left.
That and I really liked the Aoi gifs you've been posting in this thread I didn't have those so Thanks much for that! =D

。・☆。・☆・。。・☆。・☆・。
Jun 12, 2013 4:16 PM
Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Underdog? Sena is smarter (tests), more attractive (to most people), more talented (as seen in the festivals), richer, and has more social power (as evident in the fight with Yusa) than Yozora. That Yozora can fight her evenly is a testament to Yozora.

I agree Sena's not the underdog in terms of most areas. But one things for sure, Sena's not going to win an argument because she's very prone to being tricked (e.g. the tower hair style, fortune telling, etc.) and generally weak willed (despite the arrogance). The unique thing about Yozora (at least in the beginning) - and why Sena actually likes Yozora - is that she has the will to overcome Sena's only strength in an argument - that her dad is the chairman. Rika likewise can easily trick Sena (she helped with the tower and the fortune telling); I do wonder though, if Sena had run into Rika first that she might actually have obsessed over Rika as her "best frenemy" instead of Yozora.

The reason Yozora can't get a bead on Rika is that Rika is honest (which has been outside of Yozora's experience with people).

I'm not sure I'd say Rika is entirely honest. She's actually quite deceptive as she's able to hide her true self by over-emphasizing her fujoshi side. More so than Yozora, Rika's strength is in her absolutely perfect perception (
) and her ability to exploit Sena's weakness is second to none; I can't recall her exploiting anyone else like Yozora, but I assume it's either because Sena is the one she dislikes the most (because she's "overpowered") or because she realizes that Sena actually doesn't mind being messed with.

Yozora failing is her not knowing what relationship she wants from Kodaka, and her being dishonest about it opens her to attack (she plagiarized because she wanted to use the story to express herself to Kodaka). The novels are more equal in treatment, but in the animation Sena has definitely received the better treatment.

True and true.

In the novels Sena is remarkably cruel, particularly to Yukimura (her attitude towards her makes Yozora's seem benign) and has none of the development that the animation implied (in the 8th novel she is as cruel and self-delusional as the first).

I've read the novels fairly recently, but I can't recall which interaction between Yukimura and Sena was particularly cruel. I do recall that
. If that's not the incident in question, mind elaborating?

As for who the most interesting character is, it is still Yozora. We pretty much know everything there is to know about the other characters (except what exactly the family situation with Yukimura wanting to be a "man" is about). We know nothing about why Sora turned into Yozora and nothing about her family situation. We also know that Kodaka has no clue about Yozora (the novel makes this clearer than the animation, particularly the battle with Rika), and that despite what he says, he was the one most trapped by the past, not her.

This I agree with. She's still got a lot of space for development.

Hell we don't even know what Yozora really feels towards Kodaka (if love why did she wear a jersey on a date, if like why does it seem like it is love, or is it that even she doesn't know the difference (the BL animation suggests this)).

I think we do, even if she doesn't. I also think Kodaka might be aware and perhaps in trying to "save the club" he was just trying to save Yozora from coming to terms with her complex feelings.

If Sena is Everest, Yozora is Mauna Kea (so much lies below the surface). That is why I am really looking forward to the 9th novel, this should be revealed (though the trouble is that once we know this the series is pretty much over).

Agreed on the first part, but I'm not sure that the series will necessarily end. If it's popular, the author may decide to continue it. Or it may get a spin-off with a stronger focus on romance rather than friendship (though probably not - I'm just saying it's a possibility).

edit:
I don't really want to get into this again so I'll keep it short.
opinion keeps getting shoved aside

It's when an opinion is shoved in your face like it's fact that things escalate. Facts are facts, opinions are not.
JamadaJun 12, 2013 4:21 PM
Jun 12, 2013 4:53 PM

Apr 2013
Nayami-Chan said:
BloodyNightsky said:

Do you copy,base?

I gotta say I've been watching this thread and I kinda feel bad that your opinion keeps getting shoved aside =( You do have some good points but people on here seem to be enjoying a stubborness debate so only the bad can be seen ^^; Just needed to say I'm sorry that you don't seemingly get to enjoy this debate anymore and that not everyone is against you on this you seemed to not have many if any allies left on this left.
That and I really liked the Aoi gifs you've been posting in this thread I didn't have those so Thanks much for that! =D

You're welcomed and I have experiences with stubborned people more than you can belive.My mother is that way,my sister is the same.Even if I'm right,and they see my point,they refuse to accept it.Sometimes,you must know when to back off and let them experience or see what you have warned them of or what you have kept telling them.
I do enjoy debates but not when they are treated as flame.If you treat a post as a flame,in my opinion,it means you dont take it seriously and you'll just act as a pyromaniac,seeking to fuel the flame or creating one.
My point was simple,Sena is a magnet because of her looks,what makes her fans keep liking her is either her personality or they can relate to her somehow or other reasons.
Have you ever saw posts on a busty girl facebook that pose sexy or in a swimsuit?
"I like your personality" type of comment there will always exist but who am I to point the obvious when it's completely denyed?
I felt like I was arguing with my mother over things.When she's wrong she stubbornly hangs over everything she can to deny that I'm right.When she's right and I admit it she crushes me completely,talking about arguments.So letting aside that she's my mother,if we ignore that,she doesnt play fair.
It's like faking an injury in the penalty zone at football/soccer.You do it to fool the referee,sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
FluffyFleshJun 12, 2013 5:17 PM
Jun 12, 2013 5:11 PM
Dec 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
You're welcomed and I have experiences with stubborned people more than you can belive.My mother is that way,my sister is the same.Even if I'm right,and they see my point,they refuse to accept it.Sometimes,you must know when to back off and let them experience or see what you have warned them of or what you have kept telling them.
I do enjoy debates but not when they are treated as flame.If you treat a post as a flame,in my opinion,it means you dont take it seriously and you'll just act as a pyromaniac,seeking to fuel the flame or creating one.
My point was simple,Sena is a magnet because of her looks,what makes her fans keep liking her is either her personality or they can relate to her somehow or other reasons.
Have you ever saw posts on a busty girl facebook that pose sexy or in a swimsuit?
"I like your personality" type of comment there will always exist but who am I to point the obvious when it's completely denyed?
I felt like I was arguing with my mother over things.When she's wrong she stubbornly hangs over everthing she can to deny that I'm right.When she's right and I admit it she crushes me completely,talking about arguments.So letting aside that she's my mother,if we ignore that,she doesnt play fair.
It's like faking an injury in the penalty zone at football/soccer.You do it to fool the referee,sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I admit I'm stubborn, but I was able to defend my position against multiple opponents. The ones with reason admitted that my position (that you were wrong to assert opinion as fact) was correct.
Jun 13, 2013 9:21 AM
Oct 2012
Jamada said:
But one things for sure, Sena's not going to win an argument because she's very prone to being tricked (e.g. the tower hair style, fortune telling, etc.) and generally weak willed (despite the arrogance).

She wasn't "tricked" so much as her arrogance makes her do stupid things. "Tricked" implies that Yozora did something dishonest to get Sena to do something, whereas all Yozora did was to appeal to Sena's vanity and Sena did it to herself. The Stacked Hair is the perfect example, Yozora (with Rika's support) knew that if they kept mentioning how "high classed" it was Sena would insist they do it to her. And then once they did it, Sena wouldn't admit that she was wrong. Even the fortune telling was an example of this: Sena was so convinced that SHE was special, that SHE was complex, that when Yozora used the "Barnum effect" on her it worked too well, even though both Sena and Yozora had just both said that they thought fortune telling was useless.

Jamada said:
The unique thing about Yozora (at least in the beginning) - and why Sena actually likes Yozora -

Sena doesn't like Yozora, wary of her yes, obsessed yes, maybe even a little in love, but not like. Sena doesn't do like well.

Jamada said:
is that she has the will to overcome Sena's only strength in an argument - that her dad is the chairman.

That didn't cause Sena to like Yozora, it just meant that Sena had to recognize Yozora. She normally treats people like she does Yusa.

Jamada said:
Rika likewise can easily trick Sena (she helped with the tower and the fortune telling); Rika was following Yozora's lead. Rika and Yozora are far more familiar then they have let on, that was a coordinated action

Rika didn't trick Sena, in both cases she was merely supporting Yozora. In the fortune telling episode she merely held a candlestick (same with Yuikimura), she took a more active part in the stacked hair, but as Yozora's hand on the shoulder showed, Rika was following Yozora's lead.

Jamada said:
I do wonder though, if Sena had run into Rika first that she might actually have obsessed over Rika as her "best frenemy" instead of Yozora.

No. Different personality types. Rika is not a brawler, she would have no interest in standing up to Sena, nor frankly the need to. Sena would have ignored Rika and Rika wouldn't have cared or for that part probably noticed.

Jamada said:
I'm not sure I'd say Rika is entirely honest. She's actually quite deceptive as she's able to hide her true self by over-emphasizing her fujoshi side.

True, but that doesn't mean that Rika isn't honest with herself. She knows she is acting, that she is over-emphasizing her fujoshi side. Kodaka and Yozora know that as well. Rika also knows that she can act like a pervert because she knows that Kodaka would never take advantage, and she knows what she really wants (friends). She is self aware. That is why Yozora can draw a vector on her. Sena on the other hand has a gap a mile wide, which is why Yozora can get to her.

Jamada said:
and her {Rika} ability to exploit Sena's weakness is second to none;

Never any evidence of that. Rika may have insight, but she doesn't have the personality to manipulate people.

Jamada said:
I've read the novels fairly recently, but I can't recall which interaction between Yukimura and Sena was particularly cruel. I do recall that

Sena texts Kodaka whenever she is alone with Yukimura, because as that scene shows, she finds her creepy. So despising someone and completely ignoring their existence. What would you call that that if not cruel?Yozora at least doesn't ignore her (as for that scene, the level of insults are hardly equal).

Jamada said:
I think we do, even if she doesn't. I also think Kodaka might be aware and perhaps in trying to "save the club" he was just trying to save Yozora from coming to terms with her complex feelings.

I can and have written extensively on this, but to the point Kodaka is not "trying" anything. He is running away from dealing with things, which is why he has never asked anything about Yozora. He doesn't want to deal with it. The last title was "Kodaka becomes the Protagonist". Even though he has always been the MC, the title is accurate, the protagonist is what causes the action to move: Kodaka never has never done anything, all the events have occurred because the girls in general and Yozora in particularly have initiated them.

Jamada said:
Agreed on the first part, but I'm not sure that the series will necessarily end. If it's popular, the author may decide to continue it. Or it may get a spin-off with a stronger focus on romance rather than friendship (though probably not - I'm just saying it's a possibility).

Not discounting the possibility of a spin off, but as for the plot of the series to date, Kodaka and Yozora resolving their relationship would end it. It's sort of like if the MC of a Harem show finally picks one girl, the story is over. The writer may use the characters for something else, but it will be for an absolutely new story.
Jun 13, 2013 6:41 PM
Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
She wasn't "tricked" so much as her arrogance makes her do stupid things. "Tricked" implies that Yozora did something dishonest to get Sena to do something, whereas all Yozora did was to appeal to Sena's vanity and Sena did it to herself.

Your first sentence is kind of my point. She's gullible because she's all too willing to believe things as long as her weakness (her arrogance in particular) is used. There's plenty of evidence that Yozora is manipulative (e.g. Maria), so I'm not sure you can defend her in that regard (except to say that she's a sympathetic character - which is fair).

Sena doesn't like Yozora, wary of her yes, obsessed yes, maybe even a little in love, but not like. Sena doesn't do like well.

I'm going to disagree here. I think Sena thinks of Yozora as a frenemy - someone she enjoys taking jabs at (like best friends often do). Recall volume 7's "The Second Time"; she says

She normally treats people like she does Yusa.

She ignored (or, more accurately, she wasn't even aware of) Yusa for the entire time she was at St. Chronica. She isn't concerned about competing with other people (though she does like showing off as shown with the athletics competition), so she had no reason to concern herself with the person who came 2nd place in grades. The only reason she brow beats Yusa is because Yusa came after the club.

Rika didn't trick Sena, in both cases she was merely supporting Yozora. In the fortune telling episode she merely held a candlestick (same with Yuikimura), she took a more active part in the stacked hair, but as Yozora's hand on the shoulder showed, Rika was following Yozora's lead.

I'd argue that she was complicit in the manipulation making her just as "guilty". Of course, I maintain that it's entirely possibly that she means no harm when she messes with Sena; Sena seems to actually like being messed with. (I'm pretty sure both Rika and Yozora felt a bit bad about it afterward, which is one point that Yozora actually shows some development - a nice moment.) You're right about Rika's role in the fortune telling; my bad. However, my point is *not* that Rika's personality is manipulative, but rather that she's perfectly capable of manipulation. She's incredibly perceptive and is capable of being deceptive.

No. Different personality types. Rika is not a brawler, she would have no interest in standing up to Sena, nor frankly the need to. Sena would have ignored Rika and Rika wouldn't have cared or for that part probably noticed.

You could be right. It was just speculation.

True, but that doesn't mean that Rika isn't honest with herself.

I agree; Rika's perception extends to herself.

She knows she is acting, that she is over-emphasizing her fujoshi side. Kodaka and Yozora know that as well.

Ah, you mean because of the anime? If I recall correctly, the novel was slightly different.

Rika also knows that she can act like a pervert because she knows that Kodaka would never take advantage, and she knows what she really wants (friends). She is self aware. That is why Yozora can draw a vector on her. Sena on the other hand has a gap a mile wide, which is why Yozora can get to her.

I'm not sure what you mean by "draw a vector". I'll just maintain that Rika is perceptive and capable of hiding her true self from others. Sena is, on the other hand, as easy to read as a book. People outside the club can't manipulate her though because she's the chairman's daughter. (Actually, I think this may have been my point with regards to Rika being a potential candidate for Sena's "frenemy" - she wouldn't be impressed by Sena's status because she is the school's resident genius who doesn't even have to go to class.)

Never any evidence of that. Rika may have insight, but she doesn't have the personality to manipulate people.

I only meant she has the ability to do it, not that she necessarily does so (with the exception of being complicit with Yozora in messing with Sena). I like Rika quite well (she really grew on me when she went through her development) and because she's aware of
I do give her benefit of the doubt with regards to her intentions when she does choose to poke fun at Sena.

Sena texts Kodaka whenever she is alone with Yukimura, because as that scene shows, she finds her creepy. So despising someone and completely ignoring their existence. What would you call that that if not cruel?Yozora at least doesn't ignore her (as for that scene, the level of insults are hardly equal).

I don't consider ignoring someone or being creeped out by someone cruel. Yukimura herself

I can and have written extensively on this, but to the point Kodaka is not "trying" anything. He is running away from dealing with things, which is why he has never asked anything about Yozora. He doesn't want to deal with it. The last title was "Kodaka becomes the Protagonist". Even though he has always been the MC, the title is accurate, the protagonist is what causes the action to move: Kodaka never has never done anything, all the events have occurred because the girls in general and Yozora in particularly have initiated them.

It was speculation, but I don't think being active is a necessity for one to be "trying". He's passive for sure, but he's done his best to keep the club from falling apart - even if he's proven himself incompetent in that regard. There's a difference between one's intentions and one's actions. Part of my reason for thinking this is because his perception is arguably on the same level as Rika's; he may be so desperate to keep the club together because he truly thinks it's for the best (not just for him, but for others - including Yozora - as well). Actually I'm going to speculate even further:

Not discounting the possibility of a spin off, but as for the plot of the series to date, Kodaka and Yozora resolving their relationship would end it. It's sort of like if the MC of a Harem show finally picks one girl, the story is over. The writer may use the characters for something else, but it will be for an absolutely new story.

Yeah. That's probably how it will go down. I just like the story so much that I want it to continue :)
JamadaJun 13, 2013 7:02 PM
Jun 13, 2013 7:54 PM
Oct 2012
Probably should add: I'm a person who will always respond because I have fun doing so, I know I run things into the ground, so please don't take me too seriously. If I get obsessive, just tell me, I won't be offended. That said, I think you are similar so lets continue!

Jamada said:
Your first sentence is kind of my point. She's gullible because she's all too willing to believe things as long as her weakness (her arrogance in particular) is used. There's plenty of evidence that Yozora is manipulative (e.g. Maria), so I'm not sure you can defend her in that regard (except to say that she's a sympathetic character - which is fair).

It's clearer in the novels, but Maria is similar to Sena, she thinks she is a super genius and better than most people, which is what attracts Yozora's attacks, Yozora doesn't see it as "manipulation", she just enjoys cutting people down to size. In this way Yozora is very similar to Sena, like Sena unless the person rises to the level of a challenge, Yozora will not engage. That is why Yozora is not a bully (and got mad when Kodaka implied it), Yozora hunts the strong, not the weak. Yukimura may be deluded, but her certainty is what attracted Yozora to sport with her. If Yukimura was merely misguided, Yozora would have never picked on her.

Jamada said:
I'm going to disagree here. I think Sena thinks of Yozora as a frenemy - someone she enjoys taking jabs at (like best friends often do). Recall volume 7's "The Second Time"; she says

Semantics is probably true. I don't think Sena is capable of having friends yet, but it is certain that Yozora is special because she is the first person her age that Sena couldn't overwhelm. Its obvious that Sena wants Yozora to be strong, when Yozora gave up after the fiance Sena couldn't take it. But I wouldn't say even "Frenemy" She is more obsessed than even 10% friend. It is going to be interesting to see what happens next now that Yozora removes herself from the field.

Jamada said:
She ignored (or, more accurately, she wasn't even aware of) Yusa for the entire time she was at St. Chronica. She isn't concerned about competing with other people (though she does like showing off as shown with the athletics competition), so she had no reason to concern herself with the person who came 2nd place in grades. The only reason she brow beats Yusa is because Yusa came after the club.

Ignoring is what I meant, Yozora has forced Sena to notice her. That is why Sena is so obsessed with her. She has never had that before (except with Stella, but Stella is her surrogate mother), someone she couldn't ignore.

Jamada said:
I'd argue that she was complicit in the manipulation making her just as "guilty". Of course, I maintain that it's entirely possibly that she means no harm when she messes with Sena;
Sena seems to actually like being messed with. (I'm pretty sure both Rika and Yozora felt a bit bad about it afterward, which is one point that Yozora actually shows some development - a nice moment.) You're right about Rika's role in the fortune telling; my bad. However, my point is *not* that Rika's personality is manipulative, but rather that she's perfectly capable of manipulation. She's incredibly perceptive and is capable of being deceptive.

I would agree the Rika COULD be manipulative, she is a genius after all. But it isn't as natural to her as it is with Yozora. Rika is pretty earnest, she really did just want friends. I am not sure they really felt bad after the hair stacking episode, because apologizing drove Sena even more crazy. The fortune telling episode was the only real time we saw someone sorry for what they did.

Jamada said:
Ah, you mean because of the anime? If I recall correctly, the novel was slightly different.

There is a part in the novel as well, check what Yozora said when Rika left while Yozora was playing the galge. They changed it in the anime.

I'll answer the rest later! Want to save because MAL checks me out.
Jun 13, 2013 8:18 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know anyone named Sena, only Kobato exists in my world.
Jun 13, 2013 10:14 PM
Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Probably should add: I'm a person who will always respond because I have fun doing so, I know I run things into the ground, so please don't take me too seriously. If I get obsessive, just tell me, I won't be offended. That said, I think you are similar so lets continue!

Nah, it's cool. I like discussion.

It's clearer in the novels, but Maria is similar to Sena, she thinks she is a super genius and better than most people, which is what attracts Yozora's attacks, Yozora doesn't see it as "manipulation", she just enjoys cutting people down to size. In this way Yozora is very similar to Sena, like Sena unless the person rises to the level of a challenge, Yozora will not engage. That is why Yozora is not a bully (and got mad when Kodaka implied it), Yozora hunts the strong, not the weak. Yukimura may be deluded, but her certainty is what attracted Yozora to sport with her. If Yukimura was merely misguided, Yozora would have never picked on her.

That's not quite right. Maria hadn't even interacted with Yozora before Yozora decided to make her move (to obtain the club room and Maria as club advisor). Furthermore, Maria is a child; her gullibility is perfectly natural rather than being because she's full of herself and Yozora actually exploited Maria's lack of confidence. On top of that, Yozora actually used physical force to intimidate Maria. From the Maria chapter:

It's only at the second interaction between Yozora and Maria that Yozora exploits Maria's desire to be treated like a responsible adult. Afterwards, it seems that chips do the job for Maria's compliance (which is still a form of manipulation, but at least Maria finally gets something out of it).

Semantics is probably true. I don't think Sena is capable of having friends yet, but it is certain that Yozora is special because she is the first person her age that Sena couldn't overwhelm. Its obvious that Sena wants Yozora to be strong, when Yozora gave up after the fiance Sena couldn't take it. But I wouldn't say even "Frenemy" She is more obsessed than even 10% friend. It is going to be interesting to see what happens next now that Yozora removes herself from the field.

I think we can agree to disagree on Sena's exact feelings toward Yozora.

Ignoring is what I meant, Yozora has forced Sena to notice her. That is why Sena is so obsessed with her. She has never had that before (except with Stella, but Stella is her surrogate mother), someone she couldn't ignore.

Looking back, I think we might have agreed on the bolded point earlier if I had read it more carefully. You said Yozora standing up to Sena didn't cause Sena to like her, but to recognize her. I agree with that. However, I think she developed more friendly emotions afterwards - and this is, as mentioned above, where we must agree to disagree.

I would agree the Rika COULD be manipulative, she is a genius after all. But it isn't as natural to her as it is with Yozora. Rika is pretty earnest, she really did just want friends. I am not sure they really felt bad after the hair stacking episode, because apologizing drove Sena even more crazy. The fortune telling episode was the only real time we saw someone sorry for what they did.

Agreed about Rika. I'm pretty sure that they did feel bad with the tower.

I think Sena's reaction is a separate matter from whether or not they meant the apology; I think the apology was real. Sena's just being her easily flustered self when she realizes just how humiliating the experience really was (if only because she wanted to save face - which is consistent with the proud front she puts up).

There is a part in the novel as well, check what Yozora said when Rika left while Yozora was playing the galge. They changed it in the anime.

Maybe I should have been more clear on this point. I was referring to Rika's hidden truth that
Only Kodaka was aware of the depths of her seriousness. In the anime, Yozora discovers this by overhearing Kodaka's confrontation with Rika, but not in the novel. Before then, she was simply a haremette with a blatantly one-sided affection for Kodaka. Basically I'm trying to say that her whimsical facade is hiding her serious nature.

Btw, I think otomege is the more correct term for the type of game she was playing.

I'll answer the rest later! Want to save because MAL checks me out.

It's an interesting discussion. Damn I can't wait for the next volume.
JamadaJun 13, 2013 10:56 PM
Jun 14, 2013 12:06 AM

Oct 2010
gotta say this cause im a fan ..

every person has their own perspective .
a good anime has 1 or more cute heroine .
thats all :D
Jun 14, 2013 9:17 AM
Oct 2012
Allo, back from reality.

Jamada said:
That's not quite right. Maria hadn't even interacted with Yozora before Yozora decided to make her move (to obtain the club room and Maria as club advisor).

While they may not have interacted, Yozora obviously knew who Maria was, and given the way Maria acted, she would have definitely been noticed. Kate gives more specific background on this, which is why she said she was grateful to Yozora in particular.

Jamada said:
Furthermore, Maria is a child; her gullibility is perfectly natural rather than being because she's full of herself and Yozora actually exploited Maria's lack of confidence. On top of that, Yozora actually used physical force to intimidate Maria.

As for Yozora's use of physical violence, corporal punishment is still far more common in Japan than the US (I have seen a teacher slap a student before), and Maria really deserved it with her disgusting behavior. In Japan someone would have taken the responsibility to punish her for her actions, and most times the parents would thank the person and punish the child again. Not saying this is the right way to deal with kids, but I will say that Japanese children are usually very well behaved. You see this when they go to the theme part and Maria is about to shout out "curry looks like pooh". Yozora properly disciplined her there. Which is again why Kate thanked Yozora, in many ways Yozrora is acting like Maria's mother.

Jamada said:
It's only at the second interaction between Yozora and Maria that Yozora exploits Maria's desire to be treated like a responsible adult. Afterwards, it seems that chips do the job for Maria's compliance (which is still a form of manipulation, but at least Maria finally gets something out of it).

Not quite, in the passage that you provided Yozora does to Maria exactly what Yozora did to Yusa. She turned their words and rules against them. Maria goes on about how she is a "genius" and in her "sister" mode she thinks she has the right to preach to people. Yozora was showing how shallow Maria's knowledge was to her. After burning her a couple of times notice how Maria stopped that line of reasoning.

Jamada said:
Agreed about Rika. I'm pretty sure that they did feel bad with the tower.

You could be right, but at the same time their apologizing was the best way to piss Sena off more, sort of like when Sena read the eroge dialog in front of everyone. Yozora apologized there as well, but again it was exactly the right attitude to take to drive Sena crazy. That said, I think the writer really didn't think this scene through that well, which is why it never developed.

Jamada said:
Sena's just being her easily flustered self when she realizes just how humiliating the experience really was (if only because she wanted to save face - which is consistent with the proud front she puts up).

That is sort of my point above with the writer. Yozora and Rika knows that Sena would try to save face, so they should have known the impact of their apology. Now I think you are correct and both meant to apologize earnestly (which doesn't indicate friendship, Yozora and Rika both have a sense of justice, and that would have required them to apologize), but this was one scene I think the writer had a rare lapse and forgot the character's personalities.

I am going to be curious to see how 9 develops when or if it ever comes out. The story is at a critical point, if the writer really wants to continue this for another 7-8 novels, then the next issue will have to be done in a way to re-ignite Sena's and Yozora's hatred while keeping both as somewhat sympathetic characters. That will be tough given how much development happened in 8, so how the writer gets out of it will be interesting.
Jun 14, 2013 9:17 PM
Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Allo, back from reality.

Welcome back.

While they may not have interacted, Yozora obviously knew who Maria was, and given the way Maria acted, she would have definitely been noticed. Kate gives more specific background on this, which is why she said she was grateful to Yozora in particular.

This isn't really detailed in the novel. It's clear that Yozora approached Maria for the club room, but there's no indication that Maria had done anything noteworthy before Yozora approached her.

The statement about Kate being grateful is true, but I would contend that it wasn't Yozora's intention to benefit Maria, but simply to obtain the club room and a compliant club advisor (more specifically, a club advisor who would neither "steal" Kodaka away from Yozora nor help Kodaka earn friends). Basically, I see it as an unintended consequence of Yozora's actions rather than it being intentional.

As for Yozora's use of physical violence, corporal punishment is still far more common in Japan than the US (I have seen a teacher slap a student before), and Maria really deserved it with her disgusting behavior.

You may be correct about Japan's view of corporal punishment, but it's usually someone of higher authority using it on someone of lesser authority. As far as Yozora knew, Maria was in fact a teacher. For the bolded point, I would disagree for the fact that we don't directly see Maria's first interaction with Yozora (at least not in the novels) which, as mentioned earlier, was instigated by Yozora solely for the purpose of forming a club. What we do have is this explanation of the event by Maria (which Yozora doesn't deny):

That's taken from the Maria chapter (it's the section just preceding the other part I quoted - which I should have quoted to begin with, now that I think about it). I bolded a particularly interesting part. She was physically intimidated without provocation. Unless I've forgotten further details from later in the novels, Yozora isn't really cast in a good light here at all. The anime is a separate entity, which I don't really consider canon when it deviates from the novels in terms of characterization. The manga apparently follows the novels (which I discovered as of right now - the most recent edit).

Perhaps the most important thing to recall is that Yozora only decides to form a club because she met Kodaka for the first time in years. It's only at that point that she decides to interact with Maria - and consequently push Maria into acquiescing the relinquishment of her nap room to the barbarian invader. It wasn't because she felt the need to guide Maria into becoming a better person, but rather because she had a specific objective.

Furthermore, Yozora doesn't seem to care about Maria at all until Kodaka's interaction with Maria leads her to come back to her old nap room. Before then, Yozora had seemingly all but forgotten about Maria.

Not quite, in the passage that you provided Yozora does to Maria exactly what Yozora did to Yusa. She turned their words and rules against them. Maria goes on about how she is a "genius" and in her "sister" mode she thinks she has the right to preach to people. Yozora was showing how shallow Maria's knowledge was to her. After burning her a couple of times notice how Maria stopped that line of reasoning.

I disagree. Yusa comes to the club to break it up. She's the aggressor and the one who presumes to have superior knowledge. With Maria, Yozora was the aggressor. Maria didn't contend to have knowledge, Yozora did. Maria easily gave into Yozora's (false) claims without protesting because she wasn't at all sure of scripture or church teachings (which we know, thanks to hindsight, was because she isn't actually a sister). It's only after Yozora has swindled Maria out of her nap room that Maria did her research to find out that Yozora actually lied. In other words, Maria wasn't arrogant in her ignorance, but rather humble in her willingness to accept another person's bold (and false) statements (though she was rightly suspicious of said claims).

Afterwards, Maria is hostile to Yozora and the other club members. That hostility influences her behaviour (and of course anger makes people stupid - or more stupid than normal). Potato chips mollify her for the most part, though she does get a bit arrogant at times. I think that being club advisor actually made her think of herself as an actual teacher rather than just Kate's little sister; recall how Kate was grateful to Yozora for changing Maria. Later on, she turns her hostility towards the "vampire" because in her childish innocence she believes that vampires are evil and not to be trusted. Of course, she still ends up becoming friends with Kobato (though I'm sure you'll disagree here with regards to the meaning of "friend" since they antagonize each other so much).

You could be right, but at the same time their apologizing was the best way to piss Sena off more, sort of like when Sena read the eroge dialog in front of everyone. Yozora apologized there as well, but again it was exactly the right attitude to take to drive Sena crazy.

Yes, it's hard to tell sometimes. With Yozora I tend to think she truly enjoys making Sena squirm, and with that example you gave I think it may be true that her intention was to drive Sena crazy. With Rika, I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt because of her perception (again, because I think Sena actually enjoys being messed with - and that Rika realizes as much).

For some reason I've always thought the tower to be different. I think that Yozora and Rika themselves might have actually thought they were doing a good job with the hair stacking (perhaps they got swept up into the mood of girlish behaviour). In short, my opinion is that they started off by teasing Sena, then got into doing the hair style (forgetting that it was a prank), then realized that their prank really got out of hand.

That said, I think the writer really didn't think this scene through that well, which is why it never developed.

Only the author knows. I do know that he likes having episodes for the sake of entertainment (the first novels in particular have this type of story - just for the laughs). It may be that he just wanted to take a slice of their typical behaviour and exhibit it for the readers without necessarily tying it into the over-arching story.

That is sort of my point above with the writer. Yozora and Rika knows that Sena would try to save face, so they should have known the impact of their apology. Now I think you are correct and both meant to apologize earnestly (which doesn't indicate friendship, Yozora and Rika both have a sense of justice, and that would have required them to apologize), but this was one scene I think the writer had a rare lapse and forgot the character's personalities.

Again, only the author knows. But my own opinion is that the character's aren't always bound by their own stereotypical behaviour. They're allowed to have moments where they don't act themselves. It's certainly true of myself - that I have a typical behaviour, but will sometimes act differently if the circumstance calls for it. Not always, but sometimes.

I am going to be curious to see how 9 develops when or if it ever comes out. The story is at a critical point, if the writer really wants to continue this for another 7-8 novels, then the next issue will have to be done in a way to re-ignite Sena's and Yozora's hatred while keeping both as somewhat sympathetic characters. That will be tough given how much development happened in 8, so how the writer gets out of it will be interesting.

Out of interest, do you prefer tragic or uplifting endings? The story seems to be apt for a heart warming ending, though perhaps that means it will be somewhat open ended. If the author aims for closure (Kodaka picking a girl) as well as uplifting (without any girl being tragically heartbroken), it's understandable that he'd have trouble writing the concluding volumes.
JamadaJun 15, 2013 7:16 AM
Jun 15, 2013 8:36 AM

Apr 2013
This looks like a two-sided discussion or rather a messenger.
Anyway,while you discuss this.The author seems to follow a portrait.
Yozora - the Moon.
Kodaka - the Hawk.
Sena - the Tree.
Rika - the Observer.
Now,the moon brightens up the life of everyone while the hawk seeks a tree to build a nest upon and the observer that can intervene and change the facts in the line above.The observer/scientist might teach the hawk how to fly towards the moon but no matter how you see it the moon is the one that shines upon them.
It might be different but symbollistically way the both season seems to match the 5 symbols.
The Observer/Scientist befriended the hawk and offered to teach him whetter to fly to the moon or helping him building a nest.
Yukimura is....the female hawk,I guess?or a female bird that wants to be like the hawk?
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

253 by Ske80 »»
Apr 17, 6:47 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

675 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2013

457 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 5:27 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

268 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 3:50 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

183 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 16, 3:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.