Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 31, 2013 6:53 PM

May 2013
So, I've been reading quite a few manga lately, and I want to switch over to Anime. I'm not sure if I'm not good at finding or I'm just lazy, but I can't find a shojo anime that I like. So just a few preferences:

+ ~Please just dub!~ I know many of you only prefer subs, but I find it inconvenient. Fandub is fine too, and it would be nice if you could give me some link or just say YouTube. I know, I'm boring.
Okay, unless this some super awesome shojo that I CAN'T miss out, I'll think about.

+ ~Cute shojo cliche anime is fine~ If the anime is really cheesy, but it has a overall rating of 6-10, I'll see it. I just want to explore my interests, because I haven't been watching anything, except comedic short shonen. .-.

+ ~New Anime please~ I don't want to watch anything older than 2006, or anything with lower quality, like "Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances)" The animation doesn't have to be extravagant, but I don't want to watch older animation either.

+ ~Comedy is a plus~ I laugh or two would be nice, I enjoyed OHSHC a lot, so I would like to see comedy like that. Serious anime is fine, as well.

+ ~Please no ecchi or hentai!~ I have parents that are present, I would like to avoid being locked in my room, and told that I shamed the family name.

Sorry, it's long. I hope it's not that much. Just trying to find something good watch.
mawieMay 31, 2013 7:48 PM
May 31, 2013 6:57 PM

Sep 2008
Nana
Honey and Clover

Don't care if they are borderline Josei; both have amazing dubs, so get to it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2013 7:52 PM

May 2013
HawthorneKitty said:
Nana
Honey and Clover

Don't care if they are borderline Josei; both have amazing dubs, so get to it.

I checked both, and I think they're both interesting, thank you! I'll start with Honey and Clover, since I've seen that recommended quite a few times.
May 31, 2013 8:16 PM

Aug 2012
Not all shoujo but I still reckon you would enjoy them

Air
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
[url=myanimelist.net/profile/Stocky[/url]

My precious BB Code :(
May 31, 2013 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
Skip Beat!
kaichou wa maid-sama!
Special A
Vampire Knight
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
May 31, 2013 10:22 PM

May 2013
SOExclusive said:
Skip Beat!
kaichou wa maid-sama!
Special A
Vampire Knight

I'm currently watching Maid-Sama and I have finished Vampire Knight. I was thinking about Skip Beat..
Special A is only sub though, right? If it's really good, I'll see to it. Thank you!

Stocky said:
Not all shoujo but I still reckon you would enjoy them

Air
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
I've heard of the first one, I'll check out both, thank you!
May 31, 2013 10:30 PM

Apr 2010
Air was terrible, I'd think twice before watching that.

You may like Peach Girl, thats a dubbed shojo anme though it's from 2005.
Jun 1, 2013 1:43 AM

Nov 2011
Air is a pseudo-harem. Don't bother. Edit: Wait, you like Clannad. May as well watch Air.

Peach Girl is awful but you may enjoy it.

Special A is SO BAD. I really don't know how/why people like it. It's atrocious. It's like a crappy version of Ouran Host Club and Kaichou.

Fushigi Yugi is dubbed but it's old, I don't recall if the dub is good or not.

If you haven't seen them I cannot recommend Miyazaki movies enough. Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart, Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, are all great watches and being Miyazaki they all have a bit of a feminine vibe. The dubs are all very good.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/8129/Kuragehime This. You love Ouran, you'll love this.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1562/Yamato_Nadeshiko_Shichi_Henge I personally couldn't last more than four episodes but you may enjoy it.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5630/Higashi_no_Eden This is much less of a romance and more like a very uplifting version of Death Note or Mirai Nikki. Very much for girls.
Jun 3, 2013 7:26 PM

May 2013
Amberleh said:

I like the OST for Air, so I might check that out.
I've seen Kuragehime everywhere! It looks cool, so I'll definitely watch it. Especially anything that is leveled with OHSHC.

I saw one episode for The Wallflower, and I heard its okay but I can't stand the way their lips are drawn, it's odd.

Thank you! I'll see to the rest
Jun 3, 2013 9:14 PM
Jul 2018
Hi there,

I love OHSHC and Fruits Basket alot! (Did you complete reading the OHSHC manga? The plot progresses and gets even better)!

I see that you have read the Fruits Basket manga but haven't watched the anime?
Please do watch it, its even greater when animated, and the music is awesome!

enjoy ^_^
Jun 3, 2013 10:46 PM

Mar 2009
Princess Tutu
Little older than 2006, but still modern looking imo. Also, it's simply an amazing series, everyone should watch this! It's not an ecchi or hentai (characters wear ballet clothes, but they aren't really sexualized for it) and is appropriate to watch with younger siblings too. Really, the only downside here I can think of is getting someone to take an anime with that name seriously.
Jun 4, 2013 2:09 PM

Jan 2013
Seconding Princess Tutu. Also check out Kaleido Star, it's older than 2006 too, but it's not ugly at all. Both of them has great dubs.
Jun 4, 2013 3:15 PM

Jun 2012
+1 Special A, though the dub was obnoxious at times.
Jun 7, 2013 8:30 PM

May 2013
_itachi_ said:
Yes, I want to read Ouran, just becuase I wanted to know the actual ending, but it's really long, so I want to finish my current mangas, before reading it, thank you!
FallnKnightFakir said:
Haha, the name does give a odd expression, but it sounds interesting, I will see to it! Thank you.
Aclos said:
I read through Kaleido Star's description and it sounds very cool, I like how it's 51 episodes, I'll definitely watch that. The animation looks pretty smooth as well.
MEanimaniac1 said:
I was sure Special A had no dub, or that's what I heard on Yahoo! Answers; are you referring to the fandub?
Jun 8, 2013 1:09 AM

Jun 2007
Hate to be pedantic, but you're looking for "shoujo" (young girl) anime here -- "shojo" = female virgin, which would probably fall under the hentai category you want to exclude.

I was sure Special A had no dub, or that's what I heard on Yahoo! Answers; are you referring to the fandub?

Special A was originally released sub-only, but will be re-released with an English dub. (Maybe it's available streaming already, idk) Thus the common perception that there is no dub. Skip Beat! and Maid-Sama! have no English dubs, though.

Sorry to say it, but more US licensees took chances on licensing shoujo anime in the first place (let alone dubbing it) in the boom years of the early/mid-00s, so a lot of the dubbed shoujo options are going to be from that time period or before. And as always, I don't see that much difference between ~2004-2005 and 2006 animation, but whatever. I recommend Ultra Maniac (2003) -- it's a cute magical girl / witch series that focuses more on romance and daily life. It doesn't have much fighting or TEH EVAL POWAR to defeat. If you want something that does have a little fighting, but doesn't last for dozens/hundreds of episodes, there's Prétear (2001), which also doubles as a reverse harem.

In terms of "landmark, can't miss it" shoujo, there's Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997). Admittedly, it does show its age, but it's not famous for nothing. It had a bit of influence on later series like Ouran, and its creators went on to work on other titles like Star Driver and Penguindrum.

Or for more angst and violence, there's X the TV series (2001), by renowned creative team CLAMP. Also from CLAMP is Magic Knight Rayearth (1994), a rare shoujo mecha anime. Its overall look is very distinctly 90s, though.
Jun 8, 2013 11:08 AM

Nov 2011
Zalis said:
Hate to be pedantic, but you're looking for "shoujo" (young girl) anime here -- "shojo" = female virgin, which would probably fall under the hentai category you want to exclude.

Special A was originally released sub-only, but will be re-released with an English dub. (Maybe it's available streaming already, idk) Thus the common perception that there is no dub. Skip Beat! and Maid-Sama! have no English dubs, though.

Sorry to say it, but more US licensees took chances on licensing shoujo anime in the first place (let alone dubbing it) in the boom years of the early/mid-00s, so a lot of the dubbed shoujo options are going to be from that time period or before. And as always, I don't see that much difference between ~2004-2005 and 2006 animation, but whatever. I recommend Ultra Maniac (2003) -- it's a cute magical girl / witch series that focuses more on romance and daily life. It doesn't have much fighting or TEH EVAL POWAR to defeat. If you want something that does have a little fighting, but doesn't last for dozens/hundreds of episodes, there's Prétear (2001), which also doubles as a reverse harem.

In terms of "landmark, can't miss it" shoujo, there's Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997). Admittedly, it does show its age, but it's not famous for nothing. It had a bit of influence on later series like Ouran, and its creators went on to work on other titles like Star Driver and Penguindrum.

Or for more angst and violence, there's X the TV series (2001), by renowned creative team CLAMP. Also from CLAMP is Magic Knight Rayearth (1994), a rare shoujo mecha anime. Its overall look is very distinctly 90s, though.

I love you. I second everything this guy suggested, especially Utena, X, and Magic Knight Rayearth.

Just make sure that with X you watch the TV SERIES, NOT the movie.
Jun 15, 2015 5:39 AM
Jun 2015
Shakugan no shauna is a good one in my opinion and I also liked the world god only knows but I think only season 1 of that is dubbed there alot more though if you like these and there are also some good anime if you look on ryu anime.
Hope I could be of help
Jun 18, 2017 9:14 PM
Jun 2017
Spice and Wolf, Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair), Kiss Him Not Me (although this has a weird ending), Fruits Basket, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Masamune-kuns Revenge, Sword Art Online, Chobits (a little etchi), and The Familiar of Zero (also a little lewd). In no particular order but these are all really good ones :)

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 12 hours ago

2 by mo_lave »»
40 minutes ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
10 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
10 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
11 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.