Forum Settings
Forums
The Garden of Words
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2013 3:01 AM

Feb 2011
Man , this movie is pure art. Animation was so good I almost cried.

Dem feels =/ 9/10
Jun 4, 2013 3:09 AM

Jul 2009
had this sitting in my hd for awhile, so i was thinking "check out a few minutes to see if i wanna continue". man, i ended up watching the whole thing and wishing it just kept going! great animation and great story... loved it.
Jun 4, 2013 4:21 AM

Apr 2013
The animation is eye-blinding indeed. I'm surprised of the way they fit in some good drama and romance in those 46 minutes.

Always-HungrySep 26, 2014 2:32 AM
Jun 4, 2013 4:33 AM
Dec 2011
I enjoyed the movie. Like most wish it was longer. Did anyone else notice the stationary the note at the end was written on? At the bottom as he closed the letter the stationary had something written on it. All I think you can make out is "fell in love, I asked my" looks like sweetheart comes after "my" and that before fell there was a "d".

Asked all mighty google and I think it is "I grew up and fell in love, I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead" Next it says "Will we have rainbows day after day?" kind of fits the movie (bunch of rainbows). Though the stationary probably isn't big enough for all of that, but it is lyrics to a song called "Que Sera Sera" or What will be, will be. Maybe it's Shinkai's thoughts on how it will end? What do you think?
Jun 4, 2013 5:24 AM

Nov 2010
Stunning visuals, foot fetish and forbidden student/teacher love :3

It was a nice short/half movie
Jun 4, 2013 6:43 AM

Apr 2008
Beautiful art, beautiful plot.

Kana's cry acting is horrible though, so loud and overacting.
That's the only thing she should work on imo.
Itou, Kanae who voices Ohana in Hanasaku Iroha, she does a good crying. No overacting and not loud.

Jun 4, 2013 6:56 AM

Jan 2008
Beautiful. This movie was visually appealing, which reminded me how I dearly missed Shinkai Makoto's movies. The story was overall nice and the ending was realistic.

Oh, lovely women shoes or footwear all through out. The ED song was also lovely.

dobbs said:
...Did anyone else notice the stationary the note at the end was written on? At the bottom as he closed the letter the stationary had something written on it. All I think you can make out is "fell in love, I asked my" looks like sweetheart comes after "my" and that before fell there was a "d".

Asked all mighty google and I think it is "I grew up and fell in love, I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead" Next it says "Will we have rainbows day after day?" kind of fits the movie (bunch of rainbows). Though the stationary probably isn't big enough for all of that, but it is lyrics to a song called "Que Sera Sera" or What will be, will be. Maybe it's Shinkai's thoughts on how it will end? What do you think?

I noticed the words "fell in love, I asked my..." but I wasn't able to catch the rest. "sweetheart" was blurry. Thanks for checking it further and I learned now that it's part of the lyrics from "Que Sera Sera". Yeah, I think it's directly related to how it will end. The ending was left partly open...but insinuated they will meet someday as Akizuki said, "One day when I can walk farther on my own...I will go see her".
Jun 4, 2013 7:40 AM
May 2013
I love it especially the animation though I'm wondering what he says at 41:45 - 42:08 because there was no subs in that time.
The only thing that I understand that he is saying about the summer is over, about the exams, about the winter is coming, not sure.
Jun 4, 2013 9:07 AM

Dec 2012
Shinkai San has again outdone himself and everyone else in Anime directing currently for features. He has left the so called past masters way in the past. This is his finest work yet and that is very promising for future developments. It has it all, superb animation and artistry, beautiful tones and colours, a superb sound track that greatly enhances the story and the effects and the story itself is just what Anime is best at, a view into and from out of a life in this case several lives...and moments like jewels on a strong, wrapped in intense insight and delicate effervesance. There is really no way to just use words to thank him for this great work and to share the joy it brings to an appreciative viewer. It will not appeal to all, and I see from the posts here many have missed what this film delivers and delivers so well. It is just simply perfect..and i am so glad he is with us and will be for a while to come. More please Senpai.

Jun 4, 2013 9:41 AM
Dec 2012
Great art!
Jun 4, 2013 10:14 AM

Jul 2010
Art is so beautiful and realistic .I fall in love that raindrops and this :)

the end part was ambiguous . art 10/10 but Overall 8/10
Jun 4, 2013 10:56 AM

Feb 2013
THIS ANIME RUINED MY LIFE
Jun 4, 2013 12:12 PM

Dec 2012
His work has developed over time, from one to the next, this is the most sophisticated, it may seem simple but it is far from ordinary or limited..it has so much going on visually and the way the visuals, story and music wrap around each other it is limitless, like a splendid and perfectly crafted haiku... it say so much with so little... and says it so well.

There is great comfort in knowing that the very best of Japanese culture is continuing to flourish in the modern era, this shows all of the craftsmanship, attention to all details and yet an awareness of the whole that can be found in the finest art and craft from Japan from long ago. Truly a remarkable work, and vision.

Jun 4, 2013 1:16 PM

Nov 2009
it usually takes more than a few times to watch Makoto works. Cause every time you re-watch it, you gonna discover something new...
Simply magnificent.
While the story feels rush a bit, but if you keep rewatching it over and over again, you gonna be absorbed into their story and, it was just beautiful for me to feel.
Great piece of work.
Jun 4, 2013 5:13 PM

Apr 2011
I really liked the movie :P The visuals are excellent! The scenery makes me want to go to Tokyo..
and the main voice actress and voice actor, eargasm :D They played their role perfectly well..

I wish the movie was quite longer XD (like 1hr45mins or so)

My favorite part was when Akizuki was measuring Yukino's feet. I find it really sweet :D I was fan-girlin' while watching that scene.. hahaha!

Awesome movie! :)
Jun 4, 2013 11:08 PM

Nov 2007
The movie is so realistic which makes it easy for us to relate with real life.

This is not the first time I am experiencing a Makoto Shinkai movie of course! I always watch with high expectations and this movie delivered. Absolutely stunning animation quality! At times I thought those were recorded real clips.

I wish the movie was a bit longer though. The only movie with similar length that left a huge impression on me was Hotarubi no Mori e. But this one came really close. I really loved Akizuki's monologues. Yukino played her role in the anime. But it was Akizuki who led the movie and eventually revealed the theme of the movie. To walk and to move forward. No matter what your goal maybe, no goal is small. It takes more than just aging to step into adulthood. One must learn to move forward without looking back. :)

As for the rating, I was planning to give the anime a 9 when Akizuki confessed. And then when Yukino reminded me the cruel reality that she is his sensei, I was ready to lower the rating to an 8. And then when she wept and rushed to catch Akizuki, I was sure I would give the anime a 9. But then again when it showed they took different paths, I decided to give the anime an 8.

But, Akizuki's final few words made me realize that this anime needs a better score after all! So, a 9/10! It's nice to see an open ended ending. I want to think that 5 years from now, Akizuki will find his way to share the rest of his life with the woman he fell in love with in those rainy days, under the shed, in the Garden of Words. :)

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 5, 2013 3:29 AM

Mar 2009
What a visually breathtaking short film by Makoto Shinkai. Rain has never been animated as beautifully as it is done here. I don't have a problem with the length of the film as I felt that it convey what it needed to convey in the time frame it was given. There isn't any need for heavy handed dramatics. Sometimes, silence convey more meaning than words and so, it is in this film. I'm buying the DVD release to accompany Hoshi no Koe, The Place Promise in our Early Days and 5cm per second. I just couldn't leave that beautifully animated rainy day sceneries alone. LoL.
Jun 5, 2013 3:37 AM

Feb 2012
Simply beautiful and relaxing to watch!! The audio and visuals are superb! Makoto Shinkai never disappoints! I know they will meet eventually in the future. The boy is adamant in seeing her when he's ready. I wish there's a short video depicting a later future of their lives.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jun 5, 2013 4:21 AM

May 2010
I have only one word to express my feeling for this anime: [bold]BEAUTIFUL[/bold]

Jun 5, 2013 6:05 AM

Jun 2011
I really liked this movie; the art was fantastic (as many others have already said) and the story was good, too. The only fault I can find with it is its length. If this was a full-length movie, the relationship between the two main characters could have been elaborated on a bit more, and would have gone a long way to immersing the viewer in the story.

For me, it's a very high seven.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jun 5, 2013 8:31 AM

Aug 2007
The visual and audio was fantastic and I doubt anyone could argue with that.

But I agree with the story and characters lacking in depth. I really enjoyed it, but overall the story characters were barely average. I'm teetering between a 6 and 7 because the plot dragged the beautiful animation down.

Jun 5, 2013 2:22 PM

Mar 2012
Well that was one big visual feast, that's for sure.

I really liked this one; it was pleasant and subtle (for the most part). I do wish the ending was more subtle. The dramatic escalation towards the end was kind of jarring to watch. The relationship between the two characters definitely could've used a longer screen time for more development and in-depth exploration, but for what they did in 46 minutes, I think a lot was accomplished. It's hard to get sufficient development for a full story and decent pacing in that kind of time frame. Solid 7/10 for me.
nauticalblueJun 5, 2013 5:17 PM
Jun 3, 2013 12:58 PM

Aug 2011
As expected of the makers of 5 Centimeters Per Second, this movie was stunning visually, and the story was brought out really amazing as well with the art.

The story was one touching one as well, young people struggling in a big world and tries to find the means to go forward and open up to people. Sadly such as vile rumors can have a major impact on ones life, just like Yukino. who was a high school teacher.

The character stories were pretty decent overall, and again the visuals in this show brought out something extra to it. Which was really good, the scene that takes during the stairs was amazing to watch with the visuals and brings more emotion to it.

Like many of Makoto Shinkai works, things doesn't go all that well, but not bad either. People move on and maybe, when they both are ready. They will cross path yet again.

Fantastic visuals, good story. 8/10 for me.

Jun 5, 2013 3:26 PM

Oct 2009
Stunning.
Jun 5, 2013 4:10 PM
Jun 2013
I need a second watch, but sincerely I think this isn't one of his best works, the visuals are simply amazing (20/10 stars) but the characters and plot are kind of a step back, still is amazing, but I still prefer 5cm per second.

The ending could have been more subtle and the pop song is not as good as One More Time, One More Chance but is Ok for the movie.

I hope he can do different types of stories with the same kind of visuals (he's a God of visuals!)

5cm per second 10/10
Garden of Words 7.5 (maybe 8)/10

Edit: I'm not sure if I can post links to other sites here, but this interview is very interesting ^_^

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2013-05-01/makoto-shinkai-the-garden-of-words-interview
Mond_XJun 5, 2013 8:43 PM
Jun 5, 2013 7:52 PM

Oct 2010
Anyone please tell me what is the content in the letter??And what happen in the end..The last part is not subbed...
Signature Removed
Jun 5, 2013 8:50 PM
Jun 2013
groundfish said:
Anyone please tell me what is the content in the letter??And what happen in the end..The last part is not subbed...

The letter:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=608159&show=60#msg22458731

Last words:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=608159&show=0#msg22417819
Jun 6, 2013 1:40 AM

Oct 2010
Mond_X said:
groundfish said:

The letter:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=608159&show=60#msg22458731

Last words:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=608159&show=0#msg22417819

tq very much :-)
luckily not unrequited love as in his other movie

Keichi-chan said:
eldest said:
destructo22 said:
Anyone know what the note/letter said that Takao was holding in the epilogue? It had the date 2014/2/3 on it.

This letter turned out to be longer than I thought.
Thanks for reading all the way up to here.
I hope you continue to be in good health,
and that the warm seasons come quicker.
[...] I look forward to hearing from you.
2014.2.3 Yukino Yukari

I just noticed that the Date is 2014 and not 2013 oO

Hopefully that is a hint for something.. Maybe the Date for the next Movie? Oo

good.Hope they release an epilogue...
groundfishJun 6, 2013 1:46 AM
Signature Removed
Jun 6, 2013 3:11 AM

May 2013
what a stunning art
as expected from makoto shinkai's movie

the story wasn't so special tough. 8/10
Jun 6, 2013 5:58 AM

Oct 2011
That was such a beautiful film.. I almost cried near the end. So much emotion. Also the art and music really fit and added to the beauty of this movie. As expected from Shinkai Makoto who created Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo.
Jun 6, 2013 6:29 AM

Aug 2010
I heard this movie is about foot fetish, ne? *giggle*
Anyway, i liked it more than 5cm/sec, but less than The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Art is faptastic, Kana's voice is faptastic ans soundtrack is...also good. :)
Jun 6, 2013 12:23 PM

May 2007
I loved this movie....really enjoyed the story.
Jun 6, 2013 3:34 PM

Jul 2012
Can I marry the art? I cannot emphasize how visually appealing that was.

Story was pretty good actually. I liked it better than his other works. This one is my favourite Makoto Shinkai movie now with 5cm as second place.

I love how there were such deep insightful things thrown at me. Some things that she says just makes me go like o_o for a minute because I'm in deep thought.

8/10 overall.
Jun 6, 2013 4:57 PM

Jun 2008
Why wasn't it longer? : (
Oh well, they could just date each other after he finish school.
Jun 7, 2013 1:38 AM

Jan 2011
It's hard to not give it top marks solely for the breathtaking visuals and sound but the story was a little less fantastic then I thought it was going to be. It was still a very touching story and, for what it is, I think it was very good. I will say the ending was, as expected, near perfect. 8/10 and still can't top 5 Centimeters per Second in my book.
Jun 7, 2013 1:45 AM

Jun 2009
The visual is stunning... The story is alright.

.... 7
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2013 3:00 AM

Feb 2010
the art is so amazing wow as expected of makoto shinkai.
the story is fine.
overall i enjoy it 8/10

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jun 7, 2013 5:20 AM

Jan 2012
yes the art, it kills @@ .. if this movie was 2 hours long, the story will be better
but i gave it a 9 :)
Jun 7, 2013 5:34 AM

Nov 2011
Can someone tell me what exactly did Takao's girlfriend say to Takao at 22:25 that Takao's brother didn't like?

I'm translating this movie into Polish and this part seems unclear in Commie's subs.

Girlfriend: Hey, why don't you eat dinner with us, Takao?
Takao: Sorry, but I've got my part-time job today.
Girlfriend: This late?
Takao: And I don't want to impose.
Girlfriend: The opposite! I'm going to be living with him from now on, so just this once...
Takao's brother: I can hear you!

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jun 7, 2013 5:53 AM

Sep 2012
linchpin said:
Can someone tell me what exactly did Takao's girlfriend say to Takao at 22:25 that Takao's brother didn't like?

I'm translating this movie into Polish and this part seems unclear in Commie's subs.

Girlfriend: The opposite! I'm going to be living with him from now on, so just this once...
It is more like he is complaining that his girlfriend is talking about him behind his back.

And a few admittedly minor points about the translation:

Instead of "And I don't want to impose" I would say he is more like saying "And I don't want to cause inconvenience".

And when the girl said "I'm going to be living with him from now on, so just this once..." the words have the subtle meaning that she will be stuck with eating with Takao's brother, so Takao's concern that his presence will get into the two (cause inconvenience) is not really much of a concern because she and Takao's brother will have a lot more opportunities to eat dinner by themselves.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 7, 2013 6:58 AM

Aug 2012
10/10 for me :)
Jun 7, 2013 7:44 AM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
linchpin said:

It is more like he is complaining that his girlfriend is talking about him behind his back.

And a few admittedly minor points about the translation:

Instead of "And I don't want to impose" I would say he is more like saying "And I don't want to cause inconvenience".

And when the girl said "I'm going to be living with him from now on, so just this once..." the words have the subtle meaning that she will be stuck with eating with Takao's brother, so Takao's concern that his presence will get into the two (cause inconvenience) is not really much of a concern because she and Takao's brother will have a lot more opportunities to eat dinner by themselves.

Impose fits the line way better. I wouldn't say "inconvenience" in that type of situation; impose sounds way better.
TyrelJun 7, 2013 7:52 AM
Jun 7, 2013 7:57 AM

Sep 2012
Tyrel said:
Impose fits the line way better. I wouldn't say "inconvenience" in that type of situation; impose sounds way better.
Perhaps it is how you use English in the place you live? To me, "impose" carries a connotation that the speaker is intruding or imposing himself by wanting to stay behind, whereas the Japanese words is about causing inconvenience to them if he stays behind. Anyway, the usage of "impose" is quite unfamiliar to me as I have never heard people using it in this kind of situation.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 7, 2013 7:57 AM
May 2012
To me, Shinkai has done it again. For this particularly story, you don't really need the depth. The last few minutes before the credits rolled sent chills and that hasn't happened since the Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Jun 7, 2013 11:58 AM

Nov 2009
symbv said:
Tyrel said:
Perhaps it is how you use English in the place you live? To me, "impose" carries a connotation that the speaker is intruding or imposing himself by wanting to stay behind, whereas the Japanese words is about causing inconvenience to them if he stays behind. Anyway, the usage of "impose" is quite unfamiliar to me as I have never heard people using it in this kind of situation.[/quote

Hi, I just want to ask about the relationship between Yukari and the man who she spoke with through the phone. The translation was confusing.
Jun 7, 2013 12:30 PM
May 2012
Wait, nvm. Wrong scene.
Ryo_SuzukiJun 7, 2013 12:52 PM
Jun 7, 2013 12:55 PM

Sep 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
Hi, I just want to ask about the relationship between Yukari and the man who she spoke with through the phone. The translation was confusing.
You remember at around what time in the movie did that scene take place?

Jun 7, 2013 6:08 PM

Jan 2013
Takana_no_Hana said:

90% it's her ex boyfriend
Jun 7, 2013 7:08 PM
May 2012
Evaris said:
symbv said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
You remember at around what time in the movie did that scene take place?

I guess, it has to be the scene around 16:20. He is most likely her former boyfriend, possibly a fellow teacher, as she is sorry for causing trouble after their break-up and he promises to talk to "the higher-ups" about her leaving.

So it was that scene? Then yeah, it's hinted that it's her ex-boyfriend/husband .
Jun 7, 2013 7:16 PM

Jun 2008
Reaper71 said:
I really liked this movie; the art was fantastic (as many others have already said) and the story was good, too. The only fault I can find with it is its length. If this was a full-length movie, the relationship between the two main characters could have been elaborated on a bit more, and would have gone a long way to immersing the viewer in the story.

For me, it's a very high seven.

I wanted more too :( Still what we got on so little time was very good, but i just can't help think about how everything would be if it was longer.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one, probably not

mydaddy - Mar 1

28 by Rayane-47 »»
Mar 6, 5:29 AM

» What if the genders were reversed?

mechian - Aug 17, 2014

29 by CLADDAN »»
Mar 1, 10:53 AM

» What did you think of this movie? ( 1 2 )

AoiroBlueColor - May 15, 2021

55 by SandraEis »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:26 PM

Poll: » What demographic is Kotonoha no Niwa?

AnimeIs4Kidz - Feb 27, 2023

15 by DreamingK »»
Mar 6, 2023 11:08 AM

» Weathering with you or Garden of words?! ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 30, 2022

81 by Kunii »»
Apr 15, 2022 12:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.