Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
May 31, 2013 4:18 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Character: Casca (Berserk)

MAL Character Information Page: Casca "Ellen"

MAL Favorites: 239

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Casca was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
3 Yes - 6.4%
44 No - 93.6%

41 Don't know this character - 39.8% of the total number polled
15 Abstained - 14.6% of the total number polled
Don_Don_KunJun 23, 2013 7:13 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 31, 2013 6:06 AM

Dec 2007
I've only watched the anime, does the character develop much more after it? I'll most likely abstain.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 31, 2013 8:02 AM
Apr 2011
May 31, 2013 9:10 AM

Aug 2009
I liked her character. But I feel she was mostly there to show how hard it was to be a woman in Berserk.
-Fixing-
May 31, 2013 10:14 AM

Sep 2011
YOLOswaggins said:

I will probably be voting no.
Wilio said:
I liked her character. But I feel she was mostly there to show how hard it was to be a woman in Berserk.

The reason she is here is because this club is once more trying to get every character from every show they like inducted.
May 31, 2013 11:26 AM

Feb 2008
pineconeRush said:
The reason she is here is because this club is once more trying to get every character from every show they like inducted.

It's more that there really aren't many noteworthy characters left to nominate. (It's not like current anime is helping in that regard, either, given how dreadful each season tends to be.)

Anyway... Casca doesn't do much to stand out as her own character. Strong female she may be, but it's her relationship with Guts that deserves all the praise. And I can't vote yes for a character which isn't special on their own merits.
May 31, 2013 12:02 PM
Mar 2010
She had personality until YOU KNOW WHAT and afterwards she is just background
May 31, 2013 4:25 PM

Mar 2011
I think we should just evaluate her from the anime, because evaluating her after that point is like reducing my rating on a character for being boring after their death.

Personally, I just don't feel she's interesting enough to justify a spot. She's fairly well-executed for what she is, but her role more as a simultaneous romantic interest for Guts and devoted follower of Griffith than really interesting character in her own right.
May 31, 2013 4:35 PM

Feb 2012
Coming from a manga reader, her personality pretty much evaporates completely after the Golden Age arc. Everything else related to her just goes back to the topic of cruelty in rape and/or the inability for people to recover from such an experience. Hardly any possible evidences of development in the future either.
May 31, 2013 4:40 PM

May 2012
Casca was better pre-eclipse, after it, she has become insufferable IMO. But as far as most female characters go, she is pretty good. Nothing amazing, or complex, but good.
May 31, 2013 5:11 PM

Apr 2012
Like how I find Berserk, Casca grows stale over the series, to the point where she becomes nothing but a plot device for Gut's journey. At this point, you judge her less as a person and more at the critical depth of the fairies, who are essentially the Nukku and Mokku (Kemono no Souja) of Berserk. She may not be the worst character in the band (the latter two easily take up that throne), but she is certainly not above the middle pack: Farnese, Serpico, Isidro, and Schierke. Her only shred of complexity is her compassion (or more precisely, obsession) for motherhood, but it's infrequently brought up in the story; in fact, it reaches to the point such that any passing appreciation for her character diminishes to a nil value. Guts fighting to
is great and all, but it says nothing good about Casca herself.

Even if were were to argue that she should only be judged at the apex of Berserk's depth (which, for what it's worth, is a purely nonsensical argument--tantamount to judging an entire series based on your favorite episode), Casca doesn't offer enough complexity to be up at the levels of Guts and Griffith. The
is perfect, but it does more to characterize Guts and Griffith than it does to Casca. Her shoujo powers of indecisiveness is never carried far enough to hold critical value, and her backstory (moreover, her characterization) is unremarkable. The one year during
offers potential for her to grow as the de facto leader, but her character actually weakens at this point. The only growth in her character is her responsiveness to act weak as a maiden, while any remaining power to fight well or lead her troops falters.

Yes, I am not a fan of her character, whether personally or critically. I would even go so far as to say that Judeau is greater, with his subtler desires, excellent support, and, well,
May 31, 2013 6:13 PM

Sep 2009
PoeticJustice said:
But as far as most female characters go, she is pretty good.

I would just like to remind everyone that a character being female has no bearing whatosoever on whether or not they're good, even if there are few good female anime characters out there.
Jun 1, 2013 12:38 AM

Aug 2009
Let me ask you guys:

Is it necessary to consider her character after the eclipse? Let's face it, the character is same as dead after the event. I mean I am only looking at the character at the time that she was, well, an actual character.

I'm still leaning toward a no though. Well, if we were to base ourselves on the anime, she'd have a better chance.
WilioJun 1, 2013 12:41 AM
-Fixing-
Jun 1, 2013 2:56 AM

Aug 2011
I figure I'll at least chime in, since I'll be voting yes. Fair warning now, spoilers ahead for the anime and the manga:

Casca's character is established early on as a person of strong convictions, and of faith. Her belief in Griffith's ideals is what allows her to strive to be stronger, and being sold off as child has also given her cause to be able to protect herself. We see this many times during the Golden Age arc, which I would say is the most well written and developed of the entire series. Her romance with Guts, and the conflicting feelings this brings about, feel very real and natural. The respect she's given by all of her comrades is also something of note; she's treated very differently depending on the person, and it isn't until the arc with the cultists in the manga that she gains any allies (post Golden Age, obviously).

She was also used impressively as a bridge between characters like Griffith and Guts to characters like Judeau, Pippin, or Corkus. I think without her, their characterizations would have felt significantly more forced and stood out in a negative way.

Now, this isn't to say she doesn't have her flaws. After the Eclipse, her character is shoved to the backburners for much of the rest of the manga, only occasionally coming out as a loosely supported plot device. Even now, her character is still missing her memory of everything from the Eclipse and before, which is a genuine tragedy considering how much character development that undoes. This does bring me to my last point, and what I think is most important:

CnC does not allow the nomination or spotlighting of unfinished anime or manga, or characters from unfinished anime or manga. Berserk, as an anime, is on-going. Her character is not done. There could be developments that return her to her prior state, she could die, or a number of other scenarios. For the exact reasons that ongoing anime and manga can't be nominated, it becomes unfair to judge the character based on the manga. If we are to vote Casca into CnC's characters, she must be judged by completed works. This means the anime series, or the movie trilogy. All of which cover as far as the Golden Age. And nothing post-Eclipse.

So, Casca deserves a yes, I think, based on these concerns. Or at least a disqualification to be redetermined upon completion of the Berserk manga. Fair is fair, after all.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Jun 12, 2013 3:29 PM

Dec 2012
ladyxzeus said:
I've only watched the anime, does the character develop much more after it? I'll most likely abstain.

It gets far far worse. She's reduced to a drooling plot device. I would have never voted for her character to be on the list anyways though.

Wilio said:
Let me ask you guys:

Is it necessary to consider her character after the eclipse? Let's face it, the character is same as dead after the event. I mean I am only looking at the character at the time that she was, well, an actual character.

I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.