Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 1, 2013 10:05 AM

Dec 2011
Hikigaya is still feeling hurt from that incident, whether he deny it or not.
Yukino's personality changed now that Hiki knows.
And... Yui's confession got stopped! Ahh!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2013 10:07 AM

Jan 2013
Haha Hikki's sister helping set him up with Yui was cute. The whole date was fun to watch. Hachiman was in complete control and read the situations perfectly like when Yui's friends showed up or when she was about to confess. It's nice to see a non-beta MC in these kinds of shows.

Him giving Yukino too much credit leads him to despise himself for the first time. He's never expected anything out of anyone before so now when he finds that Yukino is just like the rest (which is a truth he's always held onto), it leads him to feel this way.

This is such a great series! Right now I hope Yui will keep pushing for him. I like her better than Yukino right now

Also I switched from FFF to WhyNot. I like more literal translations
phantom19Jun 1, 2013 10:15 AM
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jun 1, 2013 11:21 AM

Apr 2011
why isn't this show rated higher ?
Jun 1, 2013 12:04 PM

Jul 2010
''Call me Messiah''.8man wins again.Awesome episode.

Valaskjalf said:
why isn't this show rated higher ?
incompleteAEGISJun 1, 2013 12:11 PM
Jun 1, 2013 1:37 PM

Mar 2012
Tenzen12 said:

She pretended not knowing him at all (claimed that few times in several different situation.
She didn't know him, besides, hwo exactly was she supposed to bring that up in conversation? "Oh, hey, you know that car that hit you, I was in it." She wasn't driving, she wasn't responsible, how is it relevant? I just don't see how that makes her a liar.

Do it than, just pick suitable car and jump. No big deal...

I didn't say I wanted to be hit by any random car... And besides, he's not broken up over the car crash, he's broken up specifically because of who was involved. Okay, sucks you got hit by a car, but he has no lasting injuries, AND he has two of the hottest chicks in his school constantly hanging out with him now. Exactly what is bad about that?

And as for the comedy being it's strong point: this show does really well at being realistic with teenage drama. I commend it for that, however, the problem with teenage drama is that it's teenage drama. If the show is being ironic, and we're supposed to laugh at how naive and ridiculous teenagers can be, than the show is very clever. But if it's trying to play it straight, and I'm supposed to be moved emotionally, than it's not very clever and it loses a lot of it's appeal. I can sympathize with drama-queen teenagers, but I can't really connect with them all that much.

I'm not a teen anymore so these huge introspective torments are just kind of funny in how trivial they are compared to problems in the real world. I can't be moved emotionally because some teen is too awkward to tell a girl he likes her, and then too awkward to realize that she likes him, and then too awkward to let her make the confession. Or a guy who is devastated because the hot chick hanging out with him might have some kind of ulterior motive. Like I said, they are being realistic, which is commendable, but at the same time, that puts the show in a weird position. Realistic teenage drama is melodrama. Melodrama is rarely interesting. Ironic comedy about melodrama is very interesting, and takes a deft touch. So far the show seems to be toeing the line between the two. I think it needs to choose either one or the other, and my strong urge would be for it to go for the comedy and not melodrama.
StopDropAndBowlJun 1, 2013 1:44 PM
Let's go bowling.
Jun 1, 2013 2:30 PM

May 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:
Tenzen12 said:

She pretended not knowing him at all (claimed that few times in several different situation.
She didn't know him, besides, hwo exactly was she supposed to bring that up in conversation? "Oh, hey, you know that car that hit you, I was in it." She wasn't driving, she wasn't responsible, how is it relevant? I just don't see how that makes her a liar.

Yukino did know Hachiman from the accident, and Hachiman became well aware of that last episode as well as this one. If Yukino recognized Yui's dog, then she probably recognized Hachiman on the spot as well. What makes her a liar was that she actually did say that she never met Hachiman before around episode 1.

We know from Haruno that Yukino was a passenger on the car and wasn't responsible for the accident, but I can't exactly believe any words that come from that woman's mouth. Even Shizuka seemed to feel uncomfortable around her.

That's my two cents on her lying to Hachiman.
Jun 1, 2013 2:46 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Not really wanting to take sides in this argument, but my pedantic nature is taking over. While I don't know the original Japanese, the English "met someone" strongly implies actually interaction between the two, from simple acknowledging that they see each other with mutual head nods to exchanging greetings or formal introductions.

Now, for instance, if Yukino never got out of the car and Hachiman never actual saw her (note the car's windows are heavily tinted) then even though Yukino may have seen him, I would not declare that they had ever met. Technically, she would be correct in stating that they had never met.
CratexJun 1, 2013 2:57 PM
Jun 1, 2013 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
Indeed. "I don't know this person" or "we've never met" is not the same thing as "I've never seen this person before in my life." Of course, the problem is that whenever you have to preface an argument with "technically," you've lost the war by winning the battle.

They may have technically never met, but there is a dishonesty in not acknowledging her role (even her non-guilty role) in the accident when they are first introduced. That sort of secret keeping seems to really affect Hachiman (given his reaction to finding out who Yui really was,) mostly because it makes him doubt/try to reevaluate the entire relationship up to that point.

What Yukino has in her favor, at least, is that Hachiman has no reason to believe she was being nice to him because of the accident--since she has never been particularly nice. Hachiman seems disappointed that pedestal-Yukino doesn't actually exist, and disgusted with himself for creating that idol in the first place.
Jun 1, 2013 3:29 PM

Dec 2012
CNagy said:
What Yukino has in her favor, at least, is that Hachiman has no reason to believe she was being nice to him because of the accident--since she has never been particularly nice. Hachiman seems disappointed that pedestal-Yukino doesn't actually exist, and disgusted with himself for creating that idol in the first place.

To sorta echo what CNagy said, Hikigaya essentially created an "ideal" Yukino in his head: an elegant beautiful girl who is always direct. If you recall Hikigaya himself said "Ideals are just that, ideals" meaning he went back on something he believed, which disgusts him because he refused to acknowledge his own belief. Also the fact that he fell into the same category of people who judged and put down Yukino in past hurt his ego.

It's not really the accident itself that bothers Hikigaya, it's the fact that he built up a Yukino in his head only to have it destroyed. Making him feel like a fool for even thinking of her that way.
Jun 1, 2013 4:36 PM

Oct 2011
Yui was cute in her Kimono. The car incident still lingers in his mind. I still don't trust her sister. Yui's confession was interrupted.

Another deep monologue

“I like myself, I never once for a single second hated myself. My base stats are quite good, and I’m not ugly either. I’m pessimistic and realistic. I definitely don’t hate myself. But now, for the first time in my life, I feel like I might despise myself. The Yukinoshita Yukino I knew was always beautiful, and she’d never lie. She was just, and she kept standing even if there was no footing to stand on. I think I was captivated by Yukinoshita Yukino. I held my own expectations and forced them on her. Sometimes I’d assume I understood her, then I’d just get myself disappointed. I tried sobering myself so many times, yet I couldn't fix that part of me. Even Yukinoshita Yukino lies. The way I refuse to accept something so obvious is simply despicable.”

Hikigaya Hachiman

So Hachiman's image of Yukinon shattered
Jun 1, 2013 4:57 PM
Mar 2009
Wow, Hachiman deflected Yui's confession AND Yukino's questioning. What a boss.

Another one of his monologues, but it seems he hates himself for propping Yukino as some infallible goddess when she's really a normal human being.

I wonder what Haruno meant by Yukino not getting chosen again. Maybe it ties into her ill attitude towards Hayato?
Jun 1, 2013 5:20 PM
Oct 2011
Cratex said:
Now, for instance, if Yukino never got out of the car and Hachiman never actual saw her (note the car's windows are heavily tinted) then even though Yukino may have seen him, I would not declare that they had ever met. Technically, she would be correct in stating that they had never met.

Then how about when Yukino said that she didn't know Hachiman when Yui came to ask for help? Would that still be considered not lying? Even if your car's windows are heavily tinted, I presume you would want to know the person who was hit your car, right?
RadiusJun 1, 2013 5:23 PM
Jun 1, 2013 5:35 PM

May 2013
Well, Cratex pointed out the difference between met and know. She knew Hachiman from the accident but met him only when Shizuka forced him in the Service Club.

I'm at fault for typing out "met" instead of "knew" on my last post and that spurred some confusion.
Jun 1, 2013 5:42 PM

Mar 2012
Another good quote by Hachiman this episode. So even for him an expert loner he still have expectation on other.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 1, 2013 6:25 PM

Jul 2009
hikki my man. cuts yui off during confession and cuts yukino during her apology.
no wonder he's starting to hate himself. girls like assholes confident people though - srs.

oh well good to know yukino's sister isnt just a pretty face. there's something up in that brain of hers..
Jun 1, 2013 6:32 PM
Jan 2008
I don't even get why the accident bothers him so much
Jun 1, 2013 6:52 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
reversereality said:
I'm at fault for typing out "met" instead of "knew" on my last post and that spurred some confusion.
As long as we're not talking about "know" in the biblical sense, I'm good ;)
Jun 1, 2013 7:11 PM

Apr 2012
meh I expected that Yui confessed but Hikki didn't let her D:
Jun 1, 2013 7:18 PM

Mar 2012
PhoenixIce said:
I don't even get why the accident bothers him so much
Not the accident that bother hm but the fact that Yukino "lying" have destroy his image of her and once again make him face reality.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 1, 2013 7:45 PM
Oct 2011
reversereality said:
Well, Cratex pointed out the difference between met and know. She knew Hachiman from the accident but met him only when Shizuka forced him in the Service Club.

What I want to say is that it does not matter whether she said "meet" or "know" because in the end, she also said that she did not know Hachiman's name which was a lie.

Everyone lies, so I have no problem there. So, I am not saying that it was wrong of her. I am just saying the she not only hid the truth, but she also did lie.
Jun 1, 2013 8:06 PM

May 2013
I don't get why people keep on saying "heavily tinted glass that's why she didn't see him..."

For sure it wasn't some sort of hit-and-run, so wouldn't they have come out to see who the hell they hit? Although, if they actually did, wouldn't Yukino and Yui meet by then?
Jun 1, 2013 8:11 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
VoidNoodle said:
I don't get why people keep on saying "heavily tinted glass that's why she didn't see him..."

For sure it wasn't some sort of hit-and-run, so wouldn't they have come out to see who the hell they hit? Although, if they actually did, wouldn't Yukino and Yui meet by then?
It's all just speculation. We don't know what happened. That's why people are throwing out thoughts. Don't take anything to literally.
Jun 1, 2013 8:34 PM

May 2013
Cratex said:
VoidNoodle said:

It's all just speculation. We don't know what happened. That's why people are throwing out thoughts. Don't take anything to literally.

Well, it wasn't a hit and run, that's for sure. Would've been too cruel. Poor 8man, actually quite surprised he survived that.
Jun 1, 2013 8:56 PM
Jan 2013
Well done episode even with super fast pacing compare to novel. Hikigaya the boss - pretty much shows everything about loner mentality here.

And, to those who thinks that car crash is a bit trivial to drag too much - I'm going to say this. Animation almost made it looks like Hachiman is making too much deal about it - it is kinda unavoidable due to fast pacing - but he actually doesn't. Hachiman pretty much just thinks that it is an unfortunate event that did nothing serious to him. He does think it is no big deal. It's actually Yukinoshita and Yui who's thinking too much about it, not Hachiman.

Yep, Yukinoshita did know that her car hit Hachiman at the first episode. She did lie to him. It's still unknown why she lied. Hachiman is just disappointed/curious why she said she doesn't know him.

Edited: He is 'disappointed' about himself for being 'disappointed' about Yukino for being weak, hiding about the accident.
KitchiriJun 1, 2013 9:02 PM
Jun 1, 2013 9:34 PM

Mar 2012
I just don't see how it can be called "dishonest" to not openly say right off the bat: "Oh, you're the guy my driver ran over."

I guess if she said "I don't know his name." than she technically lied, but I highly doubt that is the "lie" he is talking about.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 1, 2013 10:53 PM

Sep 2011
One of the good episodes. Getting now interesting(Slightly).

Jun 1, 2013 11:05 PM

Jun 2009
Good that 8man is not falling for any of this bitches.

Go through a mind of steel route brother.
Jun 1, 2013 11:10 PM

Oct 2011
This kid thinks about things way too much. When I was in highschool the only thing going through my mind at this point in time would be "how does I sex both girls at once"
Jun 1, 2013 11:28 PM

Oct 2012
That phone app!
8man! He knows everything and he's being cautious?
Love that laugh "Ha..ha..ha, So Yukinoshita-san"

Wah I know what 8man thought, She going to confess, how do I stop her?
That ending, so deep I can't see him anymore XD
"Signature removed"
Jun 1, 2013 11:29 PM
Oct 2011
StopDropAndBowl said:
I just don't see how it can be called "dishonest" to not openly say right off the bat: "Oh, you're the guy my driver ran over."

Yukino did have a chance to tell about this when Yui and Hikki reconciled. She could have told Yui and Hikki about the accident then. However, I wouldn't say she is dishonest. It is not something you can say easily and she probably wasn't driving the car either. So it is not her fault at all.

StopDropAndBowl said:
I guess if she said "I don't know his name." than she technically lied, but I highly doubt that is the "lie" he is talking about.

I also don't know what lie Hikki is talking about, but I think he is just nitpicking like I did when I said Yukino did lie. I doubt the lie Hikki is talking about is more than a technical lie because that is the only time I have seen Yukino lying.
Jun 2, 2013 1:32 AM

Feb 2013

This is what I thought Hakki's response would be if Yui finished her confession. He's a loner and she's not. However, if she started dating him, her circle of friends would diminish and she would basically be a loner with him; it was displayed when she met her friends by the way they looked at him.

Excellent episode. I'm always impressed by how well the story is written, especially the monologues.
Jun 2, 2013 2:08 AM

Apr 2011
It doesn't metter even if that lie is only technical. It isn't like Hikki blame her in first place. Point is that "his" Yukino NEVER lies and that Yukino is gone now.

There is nothing to not understand about that.
Jun 2, 2013 4:37 AM

Mar 2012
So it's like Hachiman disappointed because from his point of view, Yukino didn't admit or trying to hide the fact about the accident.
From Yukino's point of view: if she tell the truth, she worried things will become awkward for the club/3 of them although Hachiman already stated that it's on the past and never had any problem with it.. IMHO CMIIW..
Claude_KennyJun 2, 2013 5:02 AM
Keep moving forward
Jun 2, 2013 6:50 AM

Aug 2011
StopDropAndBowl said:
The problem is that this only applies if you consider Yukino to be just like any other person. Hikigaya seems to have seen her as something above regular humans until now- someone that would stay absolutely true to her ideals and never show signs of lying or feigning ignorance to anything. She clearly pretended not to know Hikigaya even though she definitely should have. This might not be considered "dishonesty" to most, but it still was in Hikigaya's eyes because he had set the bar too high. The Yukino in Hikigaya's eyes (until now) really WOULD have told him right off the bat that her car had run him over. She didn't though, and that is why he ended up being disappointed with her and hating himself for it.

This is definitely not her fault though. If anything, Hikigaya is at fault for making her out to be some kind of a perfect being- something he has clearly already realized.
Jun 2, 2013 9:09 AM
Feb 2012
It feels so very different, seeing an MC that doesn't act like the stereotypical ones. Yet you know that he'll find love at the end of this. The only thing still shrouded in mystery is who that special girl will be.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 2, 2013 10:05 AM

Jan 2013
Excellent episode. The show is getting better by the week (and it already started off really great).

Meddlesome imouto still being meddlesome.

Haruno made an appearance once again and guess what - my impression of her improved. Instead of only being a two-faced bitch who wants everything to go her way, she turned out to care a lot about her sister (trying to get Hachiman and Yukino together, being disappointed by Yukino chasing her shadow). Yup, the characters of this show are all great and deep.

And an epic Hachiman monologue in the end. Saying he hates himself is a damn big step for him. He knows full well who is at fault and who is to blame.

Yukino looked kinda sad this time. I guess not only did she have her hidden connection to Hachiman (accident) revealed, being around her family again must have given her a pretty hard time. She seemed weakened. Her confident, shiny aura was gone, only leaving behind a frail girl.
Jun 2, 2013 10:09 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Angraj said:

This is what I thought Hakki's response would be if Yui finished her confession. He's a loner and she's not. However, if she started dating him, her circle of friends would diminish and she would basically be a loner with him; it was displayed when she met her friends by the way they looked at him.
LOL. I understand you're just displaying what you thought Hachiman's response would be, but I'm not sure in the end that Index is a good example, as it seems to me Touma's circle of friends and acquaintances expanded considerably after he started hanging out with Index.
Jun 2, 2013 10:11 AM

Nov 2009
Good episode!!!

Some very good scenes here especially with the fireworks festival and Yui looked pretty nice in her Kimono. When she saw her friend Minami and her group to which Hikigaya was being laughed at the same time was pretty funny. Haruno also looked pretty nice with her change in hairstyle and we learn a little more about her family rules. She seems to have expectations from both Yui and Hikigaya. Seems like Yukino wanted to say something to Hikigaya but was interrupted by him instead.

Looking forward to the next episode!!

5/5

Jun 2, 2013 12:48 PM

Jun 2012
Hachiman is so full of win.
Jun 2, 2013 2:13 PM

Mar 2012
Yukino and Hikki can't be together, even if they do at the very least Yukino parents wouldn't allow it.

I don't think Hikki will end up to anyone in the end, the story so far don't show any hints of Hikki having romantic relationship with either girls.
Jun 2, 2013 2:56 PM
Sep 2011
Even Yukino lies. Aw, here we go again.
Jun 2, 2013 8:49 PM

Nov 2012
seriously I'm a bit much to get in.. why hachiman.. whyy??? why you stop yui when want to said about... blah~ forget it lol

love the yui yukata btw.. so cute..

in the end.. I dont know why.. but I like how hachiman talk to yukinoshita.. lol XD
Jun 2, 2013 9:48 PM

May 2013
The first scene in episode 9 may have a hint, Hikki's cat avoid Yui's dog like their current status, seem like Yui had been rejected by Hachiman from the begining.

Need rewatch all to know find more hints.
Jun 2, 2013 9:59 PM

Jun 2012
Great episode again, looking forward to another.
Yuigahama looked great in the yukata as well ^^

Jun 2, 2013 11:03 PM

May 2012
Yukinon's sister is staring to scare me. I wouldn't be surprised if somethings F'd up happens by the end of the series.

Also, I love how this show in every episode it always starts off happy and then by the end the mood gets sad.
Jun 3, 2013 12:36 AM

Jan 2011
Haruna is not a nice person. I have the feeling that most of what she says is calculated to inflict the maximum damage to Yukinon's relationships with other people.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 3, 2013 3:27 AM
Apr 2011
I don't understand. What did Yukinon lie about?
Jun 3, 2013 3:55 AM

Jan 2013
SCNFan said:

She kept silent about the fact that it was 'her' car that hit Hachiman when he saved Yui's dog.
She lied when she met Hachiman face to face about not knowing him.
Jun 3, 2013 4:04 AM
Apr 2011
Naoki-Saten said:
SCNFan said:

She kept silent about the fact that it was 'her' car that hit Hachiman when he saved Yui's dog.
She lied when she met Hachiman face to face about not knowing him.

Oh, how did I miss that. Thanks though.
Jun 3, 2013 5:29 AM

Feb 2013
Based on how the light novel's direction is going I can see its all Yui route, its a real shame though... I was rooting for Yukino.

I love myself
I've never once in my life hated myself.
-Hikigaya Hachiman
~Seriously LOL(≥∇≤)
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

421 by Remurst »»
Apr 14, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

561 by Pancreas08 »»
Apr 12, 5:05 AM

» Where to read LN of yui's story

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 28

6 by Aruhaya »»
Mar 29, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

239 by phuchaitt3 »»
Mar 18, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 23, 2013

301 by venbals »»
Mar 15, 12:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.