Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 28, 2013 8:38 AM

Oct 2012
Six minutes of walking? Come on! Director is trolling us hard here.

Anyway, I wonder what Saeki-san reaction would be.
May 28, 2013 12:29 PM

Jan 2013
Venuduck said:
I am not watching people walk for ten minutes, I don't care how arty it's meant to be so I fast forwarded it.
Because of that, it feels as though next to nothing happened this episode.

Whether it's artsy or not has little to do with it. It was an important scene that added additional meaning to the actions coming before and after it. When you skip parts of an episode, you can hardly say you actually watched it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2013 2:17 PM

Oct 2011
Kasuga and Nakamura walking together was beautiful. I was speechless. When Kasuga walked to school that eerie music was playing. I kept thinking something gonna happen any second. Plus that music kept building up. I guessing it's Kasuga anticipation building up each second as he goes to school. Then Saki finds out it was him!!!!
May 28, 2013 5:10 PM

Jul 2009
welp, whole lot of nothing happened this week
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
May 28, 2013 8:56 PM
Oct 2008
Takes a lot of guts to slow things down that much.
May 28, 2013 9:19 PM

May 2011
Beautiful walking but I did end up doing other things while that was going on. :P As usual, so tense watching them all with that possibility of discovery just barely avoided. D:
May 29, 2013 12:54 AM

Jun 2012
That walk was so damn good... The emotion brought forth just took me by complete surprise. Wow. The music helped with the length of it though, very atmospheric. I liked it.
The calm after the storm, it made you think about was was to come, the consequences of their little outburst last episode. And the end. Oh dear... I'm so excited to see what happens next! :D
May 29, 2013 5:35 AM

Jul 2009
After reading the manga and watching the anime, I really feel sorry for Saeki, she was the biggest victim in it all.
Btw...there was a lot of slow walk in this episode lol
May 29, 2013 7:29 AM

Jul 2012
From http://psgels.net/2013/05/27/aku-no-hana-08/
(My favorite animeblog in this season)
Aku no Hana, you have balls.
I’m probably going to get a lot of people making fun of my tastes again, but heck, it’s not like I suddenly started caring about that or anything. This episode was an amazing aftermath-episode. One of the best in recent years. I mean, it was just perfect for me, it hit all of the right notes.
Let’s start with by far the most controversial part of this episode: the start. Five minutes in which the characters just walked. Yeah, first of all I have not seen anything like that in anime ever. Yeah, I really admire the guts of the creators to actually do that. I loved it to bits, and not just because of its novelty value. What we saw there was an incredibly intimate moment. What we saw last episode was just all hell breaking loose. They completely wrecked the classroom. Instead of just cutting to the next morning and show the superficial reactions of Kasuga’s classmates for shock value, the creators showed the mood he and Nakamura were in on the journey back. Nothing was said, we just experienced it. I’ve never seen any other anime do this, even though it showed so many emotions nonverbally.
And then there was the rest of the episode. I mean, that was some fantastic build-up. Bit by bit, the creators moved closer to Kasuga’s fears of being found out. The responses by the students, the responses from Saeki, everything was just perfect. Seriously, no overacting whatsoever in htis episode! This was by far the episode with the most convincing acting I’ve seen the entire season.
At first I felt a bit let down by how Kasuga’s name was conveniently obscured everywhere, but Saeki more than made up for it by showing that she very well knew what was going on. I mean, that was one heck of a cliff-hanger, even for this series’ high standards.
-
-
Exactly, couldn't agree more than that indeed :D
Any haters trying to argue with it?
May 29, 2013 12:40 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
shadowtsunami said:
Bison- said:
How are people coming to the conclusion the walking lasted 9 minutes?

2:53-9:00 was all walking and 11:26-13:12 was all walking, for a total of 7:54, I counted the repeated scene into this, which was an addition 1:10min lol.

No, from 2:53 to 3:05 was not walking, it was scenery. 11:26-13:12 isn't the same sequence, so that doesn't even count. What repeated scene are you talking about?

Nevermind, I see what you counted. So, you are combining old material with any sort of walking scene? Lol, that is why I said you guys like to exaggerate :P. The walking scene was 6 minutes.
KingYoshiMay 29, 2013 12:45 PM
May 29, 2013 1:10 PM

Sep 2012
when watching this, the first 7 minutes in with the "Walking Arc"
im like i know everyone on MAL is gonna make jokes about this,
and of coarse thats the first thing i see.

pffft when Saeki saw Nakamura holding Kasugas chest i was like
"NOOO DONT RUN SAEKI"
but of coarse....

Kasuga is the one who runs.....(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
May 29, 2013 1:15 PM

Mar 2008
Okay without reading the manga this is what I can speculate.

Kasuga obviously hates the place he lives and sees everyone as shallow and stagnant and he clearly sees the same feelings in Nakamura. He wants to do as she says because deep down he does want to change the world around him.

Its obvious something happened in Nakamura's past that made her so psychotic about things and I'm surprised Kasuga hasn't even bothered asking her even though he's spending time with her.

In the episode where Kasuga and Saeki date you can tell she actually does like him. I noticed in the thread for that episode people were saying he was a bad date and I dont dissagree but if you look closely you see Saeki getting happy over Kasugas passion for reading even though she doesn't know much about it herself.

Saeki gets really emotional when something bad happens and I'm not totally sure if that is just a Japanese type of reaction to things or if something happened to her in the past as well.

I also feel like its possible Nakamura is also somehow controlling Saeki the same way she is controlling Kasuga but not as direct as blackmail. Although based on the timing its possible she took the classmates money but I don't see a reason why she would so thats unlikely although the thought passed my mind. Nakamura is making their own personal relation into a game for herself.

Nakamuras goal isn't entirely about destroying the town literally its about tearing down boundaries of social norms so people can be themselves but she really seems to lack the understanding of the ego (i hope im using the right psychology term) that prevents us from being purely impulsive careless animals and our ego is part of ourselves.
May 29, 2013 5:09 PM

Oct 2007
^
It is true that Saeki loves him even if there was a reason for that but that doesn't change the fact the she loves him.

Nakamura is not really controlling anything. She just has this twist personality in her by trying to see the world in black. And she blacked mail him. Soon you will see that she is still a GIRL.

I won't say anything more because it will spoil you. You will get most of the answers from you questions in the up coming episode..

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 29, 2013 5:09 PM

Dec 2012
The first 8 minutes of this episode was a total waste of time.
May 29, 2013 5:50 PM

Jul 2011
What a pity that we didn't saw them walking throughout the episode, it would have been wonderful.

1000/5
May 29, 2013 6:32 PM

Sep 2010
15 minutes of walking how delightful! Seriously that was genius OMG how beautiful!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 29, 2013 9:24 PM

Jun 2007
traed said:
Nakamuras goal isn't entirely about destroying the town literally its about tearing down boundaries of social norms so people can be themselves but she really seems to lack the understanding of the ego (i hope im using the right psychology term) that prevents us from being purely impulsive careless animals and our ego is part of ourselves.

Rather than lacking ego, one could say that she is libertine, or more simply one who is morally unrestrained.
May 29, 2013 10:27 PM

Mar 2008
Kjeldoran said:
traed said:

Rather than lacking ego, one could say that she is libertine, or more simply one who is morally unrestrained.

Sort of reminds me of Moralistic Nihilism.
May 30, 2013 2:37 AM

Nov 2008
Siva said:
I won't say anything more because it will spoil you. You will get most of the answers from you questions in the up coming episode..

But you already spoiling things in your post. He speculates and you answer him by "Nah, that's false, you'll see that in the next episodes".
YandyMay 30, 2013 2:40 AM
May 30, 2013 2:45 AM
Apr 2011
They wasted some airtime showing the two walk together which only means they are going to skip some scenes in the manga. But I do hope they will still show the 3 important scenes and end the series in chapter 33. Though I won't mind seeing another season because the current story in the manga is getting interesting.

BTW I can't believe the amount of fillers this episode had. I mean I was expecting to see my most favorite scene in the manga but it didn't happen yet. But I'm 100% sure now that it will happen next episode unless the director changes the story.
ravagestormMay 30, 2013 2:56 AM
May 30, 2013 12:26 PM
Sep 2011
This is one of the few animes I've seen which doesn't feel long or difficult to sit through for me... Every episode goes by incredibly quickly, it's really strange...
Especially since a lot of the other stuff I've seen is what would be called faster paced, with more stuff packed into each episode than is in this show (I mean, considering the long walking scene and such like); but I guess having lots of ~stuff~ happen in an episode isn't an indication that it'll be interesting...
May 30, 2013 1:46 PM
Nov 2011
How should I start commenting this episode?
For starters, I found it awfully suspenseful. From the glorious opening scene, to the revelation in the end, I found it all suspenseful. If I were to rate this episode alone, I would without doubt give it a 9.
May 30, 2013 3:07 PM

Dec 2012
I feel like the people who say those long walk scenes are artistically brilliant/genius are the same people who say a dot and a line on a canvas is a masterpiece of art.
/end confession bear

Good ending though... I'll give it that.
May 30, 2013 9:08 PM

Apr 2008
It's a pity they dragged out the first half of the series so long; after the classroom vandalism scene is when the good shit really starts to go down. I don't really understand where they're planning to end the series, either.

If they'd made it a bit longer or paced it better, they could've ended it at the ideal point,
As it is the only way they could end it there is if they start rushing the pacing now, which would be a shame now the series is finally picking up. Well, I say it's picking up--let's not talk about the first 8 minutes of this episode...

Possible ending they'll be going for instead:

And agreed with the above. Two, three minutes tops of walking would've conveyed the feeling they were going for just as well, but instead they pushed it too far. Again.
May 31, 2013 6:04 AM

Mar 2013
*5 minutes later*

Y U STILL WALKING

good episode. I'm starting to like Nakamura a little more. I hope she doesn't screw things up...but I think she's alright.

I also hope Saeki forgives Kasuga. Would make my day :D

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
May 31, 2013 4:42 PM

Jul 2009
I really like the BGM they use in this show ... slow, creepy piano music fits my mood PERFECTLY sometimes (and this show, of course!) :P Also new version of the ED it seems ... very minimalistic, quite nice for such a slow episode as this
Lots of walking ... a pretty slow episode. Nice build up though, I think the second half was better. So nobody knows it's him ... except for Saeki. I totally expected her to find out, especially since, like she said, the drawing on the floor and book are the same. So Kasuga tries to break up with her ... well, I wonder how this is gonna go down. She deserves an "explanation" at least ... or now it just looks like he likes Nakamura :P Seems like people find out next episode ... oh dear :O
Jun 8, 2013 8:39 PM

Apr 2009
Just as something important finally happened, we've returned to the absolutely slow pacing of Episode 1. What's up with that very long walking scene? It even seemed to introduce some sort of romantic subtext between the two... and I don't even remember such a scene from the manga. The last few minutes were better, but man did they just have to cut into that pivotal scene?
Jun 19, 2013 7:06 AM

Jan 2012
i though the walking scene was quite eerie actually, not very often i am going to see half an episode of just two people walking and me not complain about it, intense ending with him being caught out. looking forward to see how he reacts to that.
Jun 20, 2013 6:18 AM

Mar 2013
To be honest I just skipped the walking.
Jun 21, 2013 11:40 PM

May 2010
This episode will now be called the episode of walking. REALLY A WASTE OF MY TIME!

Jun 23, 2013 9:19 PM

Jan 2012
I love this show to death, and there's something about the pacing that keeps me interested. The 15 minutes of walking didn't bother me one bit
Jun 25, 2013 3:06 PM
Apr 2013
Eight minutes of walking...
Jun 25, 2013 5:13 PM

Dec 2012
Still less walking than LOTR.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 25, 2013 8:50 PM

May 2012
okay but how can no one mention

dat table

awesome episode
in the end he revealed himself through his book
Jun 30, 2013 6:24 AM

Jul 2012
This episode should be called "walking".
Jul 2, 2013 7:16 PM

Jul 2011
I actually just sort of did other things during the walking section of this episode. Than I fully started watching when the walking was over.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2013 11:11 PM

Mar 2011
Best walking scene in animu history.
Jul 29, 2013 5:08 PM

May 2012
Oh boy that walking how long did that even take... but really that ending well she got it all figured out! Lets see what happens next!
Aug 13, 2013 9:38 AM

Sep 2012
Walk....Walk....Walk....Walk....Walk....Walk....Walk....Walk....Walk
Sep 25, 2013 10:47 PM

Feb 2010
Glad I marathoned this show tonight...
The walking is so symbolic and I really liked how calm they were after their manic destruction of the classroom. Calm after the storm.

I liked watching their bodies pass through the different backdrops of town... like spirits who don't belong in the world they're in.

So much symbolism. New life = New Uniform.

Honestly, this might be my fave episode so far purely because it follows no structure that is typical, and takes risks by the slower segments without dialogue.
Dec 17, 2013 3:21 PM

Oct 2010
Loved it. Once I reached this part in the manga, I just couldn't stop reading, so I'm glad that the anime has retained the same feel.
Feb 4, 2014 5:30 PM

Sep 2011
Dat walk.
Feb 22, 2014 5:38 AM

Oct 2013
I walk for walking.
Jul 7, 2014 11:50 AM
Jan 2011
I can't believe how many people think this anime is bad and consider the walking scene boring and unnecessary. The walking scene was one of the most intense moments I've ever seen in the anime of this type, it's like old western movies, sometimes you just don't need to have lots of dialogue and motion to deliver a message. This show is on its way to become a masterpiece, although seeing there's only 5 more episodes left, I feel it's going to be just another unfinished anime without any plans to continue it. It's a shame many deep and thrilling series like this get discarded because the majority doesn't understand it and just drop it during the first few episodes and no interest is accomplished.
Aug 5, 2014 5:46 AM

Feb 2013
That walking scene reminded of that Haruhi episode "Someday in the rain". XD

They walked slowly, hand in hand, for six minutes! And the lighting was superb. They really captured the mood and atmosphere of those early dawn hours, before morning sets in. I wasn't sure if I liked the artwork in this anime at first, but I fuckin love it now; and the sound effects in this episode were superb. Can't wait for the next episode!

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Aug 5, 2014 10:58 AM

Jan 2008
-Nanashi- said:
I feel it's going to be just another unfinished anime without any plans to continue it.

You are correct. That's exactly what it is.
Aug 9, 2014 4:28 PM

Feb 2014
This was a very good episode.
Cartoons and anime is my reality.
Aug 25, 2014 6:01 AM

Jul 2008
HappyAdventurer said:
Eight minutes of walking...

Longest walk in anime history
Nov 2, 2014 9:52 AM
Jul 2012
Anyone who has had the experience of holding someone's hand for the first time must surely recognize the slow time and the awkward-yet-intimate-silence that accompanies that activity. A beautifully done and very evocative scene, I thought. Presumably, most of the people complaining that it was too long at ~5 minutes have spent three or four hours watching a football game. I guess different people find different things engaging.
Nov 2, 2014 9:53 AM

Oct 2008
stb said:
Anyone who has had the experience of holding someone's hand for the first time must surely recognize the slow time and the awkward-yet-intimate-silence that accompanies that activity. A beautifully done and very evocative scene, I thought. Presumably, most of the people complaining that it was too long at ~5 minutes have spent three or four hours watching a football game. I guess different people find different things engaging.

Oh the 2deep4u card.

Sure ,of course.Whatever floats your boat....
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.