Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 29, 2013 4:41 PM
Feb 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:
If one thinks that survival comes before morality, and that this is supported by Darwinism, one has to wonder why the modern world has so thoroughly stamped out utilitarianism as the basis for society? Why did the utilitarian Nazi Germany suffer defeat at the hands of the less utilitarian Allies? Why did the utilitarian Sparta fall to the wayside while the less utilitarian Rome lasted far longer? The idea of a morality beyond that of survival has survived better, and longer, than it's opposite. Ironically, Darwinism has effectively weeded out social Darwinism in the modern, advanced world.

I'm not seeing how it has been 'stamped out'. Our whole liberal-capitalistic society is based on it to some degree. And that system has been quite successful, in fact. Way more successful than communism, in any case.

Why the Nazi's were defeated? Because they fought on three fronts at once, and against a much larger population, with less economic and military might (at least, when the USA joined the war). I'm not getting why you always want to make a causal relation between the two. Many factors play a role why somebody defeated somebody else; saying it's due to having a less utilitarian approach (which Nazi's weren't all THAT good in, btw - I think you're confounding militarism/fascism with utilitarianism) is a claim made out of the blue and without any strong indicators.

If anything, the reason why one power wins over the other, is because of military, scientific and economic superiority. I think you'll find those factors a much better indicator to determine who loses and who not.

And, of course, NO society lasts forever, be it utilitarian or non-utilitarian. So your example of Sparta and Roman empire lasting longer, is irrelevant. Otherwise, one could as well prove the opposite with it: why did the Roman empire last far longer then the less utilitarian British Empire, then? Following your own reasoning, this would demonstrate the opposite of what you wanted to demonstrate with it wile comparing it to Sparta.

I also refute that morality beyond that of survival has survived better: the fact that we all DID survive, to HAVE a morality, proves this.

Which, btw, does not mean there is no survival advantage in working together, and having social interactions. It's not an or-or mutually exclusive dualism. But the fact remains, that no empire ever existed without it being to some degree militaristic. And the fact also remains, that when confronted with a grave threat, lofty morality becomes less important. Take your example of the Alllies, for instance. They didn't have too much qualms in dropping a-bombs on cities with mainly civilians there. Yes, they did it to spare thousands of US soldiers (who would have died in case of an invasion).

But nowadays, and even back then, having massive collateral damage of civilians would not be regarded as justifiable - in normal circumstances. But when the going gets tough... high morals are set aside when push comes to shove, and one would otherwise incur drastic losses or even extinction.

In case of Ledo's society, if survival of the race is really at stake, I could well see how that justifies their actions. In essence, it's self-preservation.

Frankly, stopdrop, if you attacked me and threatened my life, I would have no problem shooting you dead, even when in normal, non-threatening situations, I would not do that and think it immoral to kill another human being. And yes, I would think it justified that I shot you dead in that situation, sorry.

The same applies to Ledo and his society. (at least, potentially)
AnimageNebyMay 30, 2013 4:46 AM
May 29, 2013 6:49 PM

Sep 2012
i hope Ridget can take this new responsibility,

WTF BEVEL CAN WALK!?I SWORE THAT CHILD COULDNT WALK.

haha and its so strange that aaaalll Melty thinks about is hot guys, i cant wait to see her in her 20's

efufufufufu
May 29, 2013 10:07 PM
Nov 2008
Perhaps I've been on /a/ a bit too much, but if Bebel or Amy die or even Ledo (and I wouldn't count him out, unfortunately), the first thing I'll have to do is post on that board...

"Are you happy, zenmetsufags? Isn't that what you were waiting for?"
May 29, 2013 10:51 PM
Jun 2008
Amy: Why do you fight this Hideauze ?
Ledo: because they aren't human .

I wonder how can one army Ledo can face the whole horde of Hideauze.
Seriously, its either Ledo gonna die or they need to find a way to make peace with this foul creature .
Maybe there are superpower relic hidden beneath the sea the would wipe out this Hideauze.
May 30, 2013 1:40 AM

Apr 2009
What's the meaning of life if u just "icha-icha" everyday?

Go Pinion!! show them that life is about adventure and exploring new possibilities.Does he remind u about Kamina?

If this anime leads to a bore ending where everyone live happily ever after like some kid's fairy tail, I don't mind to give it score 1/10
CloudValkyrieMay 30, 2013 1:45 AM
May 30, 2013 5:19 AM
Oct 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
If one thinks that survival comes before morality, and that this is supported by Darwinism, one has to wonder why the modern world has so thoroughly stamped out utilitarianism as the basis for society? Why did the utilitarian Nazi Germany suffer defeat at the hands of the less utilitarian Allies? Why did the utilitarian Sparta fall to the wayside while the less utilitarian Rome lasted far longer? The idea of a morality beyond that of survival has survived better, and longer, than it's opposite. Ironically, Darwinism has effectively weeded out social Darwinism in the modern, advanced world.

Because we currently are at the point where Rome, ancient Greece and some other previous "high civilizations" were aswell. We are decadent, arrogant and deluded to no end.

The rise of Rome was preceeded by the softening and liberalization of Ancient Greece. In turn the liberalization and softening of Rome eventually led to it being overrun by the more aggressive and determinated German barbarians.

This is a cycle that keeps repeating for quite a long time. A rather militaristic and patriarchic society with rigid rules usually rises above it's competitors often completly eliminating those.

This in turn leads to the people living in a fairly long time of peace and prosperity making them concentrate on internal issues eventually eroding away what lead to them being able to ascend to the position they now hold.

Which leads to being ill prepared in a clash with a more determinated and aggressiv opponent from the outside and often in the people actually being unwilling to fight back or even defend themselves or hardly putting any effort into it. They don't remember the cruel reality of war and fighting for survival anymore and usually are taught a harsh lesson, if any are left at the end.

Being aggressive and utilitarian can lead to success, which in turn leads to reigning supreme once all competitors are gone, which in turn leads to prosperity, which makes people grow rich, fat, decadent and more pacifist, that in turn weakens the entire country and gives external enemies the change to overtake them.

A peaceful society based on cooperation, morals and such usually is the consequence of an utilitarian and militaristic nation having been successfull and "served it's purpose".
Just look at the history of the most successfull nations, not one of them started out with all those morals, pacifism and other stuff they eventually developed but only invented them once they had grown fat and content.
May 30, 2013 5:23 AM

Nov 2010
More screen time for Ridget, great.
loved the episode.
May 30, 2013 5:26 AM
Feb 2013
Deleth said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

Because we currently are at the point where Rome, ancient Greece and some other previous "high civilizations" were aswell. We are decadent, arrogant and deluded to no end.

The rise of Rome was preceeded by the softening and liberalization of Ancient Greece. In turn the liberalization and softening of Rome eventually led to it being overrun by the more aggressive and determinated German barbarians.

This is a cycle that keeps repeating for quite a long time. A rather militaristic and patriarchic society with rigid rules usually rises above it's competitors often completly eliminating those.

This in turn leads to the people living in a fairly long time of peace and prosperity making them concentrate on internal issues eventually eroding away what lead to them being able to ascend to the position they now hold.

Which leads to being ill prepared in a clash with a more determinated and aggressiv opponent from the outside and often in the people actually being unwilling to fight back or even defend themselves or hardly putting any effort into it. They don't remember the cruel reality of war and fighting for survival anymore and usually are taught a harsh lesson, if any are left at the end.

Being aggressive and utilitarian can lead to success, which in turn leads to reigning supreme once all competitors are gone, which in turn leads to prosperity, which makes people grow rich, fat, decadent and more pacifist, that in turn weakens the entire country and gives external enemies the change to overtake them.

A peaceful society based on cooperation, morals and such usually is the consequence of an utilitarian and militaristic nation having been successfull and "served it's purpose".
Just look at the history of the most successfull nations, not one of them started out with all those morals, pacifism and other stuff they eventually developed but only invented them once they had grown fat and content.

A good point, deleth. Very well put.

Of course, reality is that no society ever lasts forever, be it militaristic or otherwise. But, as you (and I) correctly point out, succesful nations and certainly empires ALWAYS started off as being militaristic.
AnimageNebyMay 30, 2013 5:42 AM
May 30, 2013 5:37 AM
Oct 2009
AnimageNeby said:

Of course, reality is that no society ever lasts forever, be it militaristic or otherwise. but, as you (an I) correctly point out, succesful nations and certainly empires ALWAYS started off as being militaristic.

It doesn't really work any other way, if you want to found an empire or nation you first need land and on earth for example everything is already occupied. So you will need to take it from someone else.
If you want to prosper you need resources, you need to be able to defend yourself and so on and on and on. There are a lot of worries and dangers and our current period of "peace" in the west doesn't make it any less true.

In fact the whole "everyone is equal"," we shouldn't even fight to defend ourselves", "we can talk things through" and other ideas the West has come up with in the last years are based on being incredible rich, very far away from any kind of wars for 70~ years, there being no "perceived danger" whatsoever and so on and on and on.

At the same time nations with a more pragmantic stance are actually closing the gap, while the West is overall in a decline when it comes to relative importance and strenght.
May 30, 2013 6:30 AM
Feb 2013
Deleth said:
AnimageNeby said:

Of course, reality is that no society ever lasts forever, be it militaristic or otherwise. but, as you (an I) correctly point out, succesful nations and certainly empires ALWAYS started off as being militaristic.

It doesn't really work any other way, if you want to found an empire or nation you first need land and on earth for example everything is already occupied. So you will need to take it from someone else.
If you want to prosper you need resources, you need to be able to defend yourself and so on and on and on. There are a lot of worries and dangers and our current period of "peace" in the west doesn't make it any less true.

In fact the whole "everyone is equal"," we shouldn't even fight to defend ourselves", "we can talk things through" and other ideas the West has come up with in the last years are based on being incredible rich, very far away from any kind of wars for 70~ years, there being no "perceived danger" whatsoever and so on and on and on.

At the same time nations with a more pragmantic stance are actually closing the gap, while the West is overall in a decline when it comes to relative importance and strenght.

You are talking about Europe and China, aren't you? ;-)

I largely agree. Europe, and the West in general, is becoming far too complacent. While we debate endlessly about futilities and have endless bickering about what to do (Syria being the latest example), China is rapidly gaining on us, be it economical, military, scientifically, etc. Within 20 years, it will be the dominant superpower, while we will be only a shadow of ourselves, and no match to them in any domain anymore.

We're like the East-Romans in Byzanthium, discussing how many angels can dance on the tip of a needle, while the barbarians are at the frontgates.
May 30, 2013 7:32 AM
Oct 2009
AnimageNeby said:

I largely agree. Europe, and the West in general, is becoming far too complacent. While we debate endlessly about futilities and have endless bickering about what to do (Syria being the latest example), China is rapidly gaining on us, be it economical, military, scientifically, etc. Within 20 years, it will be the dominant superpower, while we will be only a shadow of ourselves, and no match to them in any domain anymore.

We're like the East-Romans in Byzanthium, discussing how many angels can dance on the tip of a needle, while the barbarians are at the frontgates.

Nah, there's a whole bunch of other sources of far bigger danger. China is for all purposes a big hollow bubble waiting to burst. Around 47% of Chinas gdp is coming from the construction sector which is building giant ghost towns such as Ordos all over the country and their CCD according to Goldman is around 240% of their yearly GDP.

China by far isn't the only country out there and by now shares some of the Wests problem such as a rapidly aging population due to one child policy. It needs Europe/the US to sell it's stuff or it's economy would implode in an instant.
May 30, 2013 8:01 AM
Feb 2013
Deleth said:
AnimageNeby said:

Nah, there's a whole bunch of other sources of far bigger danger. China is for all purposes a big hollow bubble waiting to burst. Around 47% of Chinas gdp is coming from the construction sector which is building giant ghost towns such as Ordos all over the country and their CCD according to Goldman is around 240% of their yearly GDP.

China by far isn't the only country out there and by now shares some of the Wests problem such as a rapidly aging population due to one child policy. It needs Europe/the US to sell it's stuff or it's economy would implode in an instant.

Well, I wouldn't write them off that quickly.

But it's true you have others: India, Brazile, etc.
May 30, 2013 8:03 AM

May 2013
so the commodore really died. this episode is very emotional.
I wonder what will happen to ledo and pinion
May 30, 2013 10:55 AM

Feb 2012
SO boring
May 30, 2013 11:49 AM
Feb 2013
zombiepika said:
i hope Ridget can take this new responsibility,

haha and its so strange that aaaalll Melty thinks about is hot guys, i cant wait to see her in her 20's

efufufufufu

I found that surprising too. As you, I thought he couldn't stand on his legs, let alone move about. Well, he DID lay down in bed in *every*scene as of yet.

But I guess he's just....frail? Constantly sick? Or something.
AnimageNebyMay 30, 2013 3:31 PM
May 30, 2013 12:35 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
AnimageNeby said:
zombiepika said:

I found that surprising too. As you, I thought he couldn't stand on his legs, let along move about. Well, he DID lay down in bed in *every*scene as of yet.

But I guess he's just....frail? Constantly sick? Or something.

Oh yeah, I remember being surprised too. I thought we saw him in a wheelchair or something? Like in that beach episode? Or maybe that was just my imagination...
May 31, 2013 6:09 AM

Jul 2011
SO-SUPER-BORING.
This episode alone made me lower my score from 7 to 6.
Why did they tried to make the old fart's death soooo emotional and heartbreaking, NOBODY CARES about him, what the hell! And he died because of what? Heart attack? LOL and he even get those cliche "last-word" scene, lol lol lol

I normally like Urobuchi, but this anime is just getting lame and lamer. The death felt forced and it feels like it just happen because urobuchi's anime need someone to die, wtf
May 31, 2013 6:45 AM

Feb 2010
StopDropAndBowl said:
00Bubbles00 said:

Funny how writers didn't make Bevel ask him some more questions about civilization in space and war with Hideaze. It would of been good for backstory.

Yeah! Because forced exposition is AMAZING storytelling... always a good choice...

On the topic of the episode:

Very well done. It was sad and mournful, but not melodramatic (tears from teenagers and mourning daughters are understandable), and also showed the development of Ledo. He is no longer only fighting just because it's his mission, he's beginning to formulate coherent reasons for his fight: he wants to protect Amy and humanity. He also shows a rebelliousness toward the Alliance propaganda when he tells Bevel that he doesn't want the utilitarian mentality to take over Gargantia.

I thought the Ridget parts were well done if you understand the reasoning behind it. She is coming to terms with being a leader, and part of that was letting go of both her father-figure and letting the ships go without making a scene or causing a fuss. It did well at showcasing the more democratic side of Gargantia and was semi-realistic in the problems a young, brand new leader would face after the death of a long-time, respected leader and mentor/father figure. Amy also showed maturity near the end by not whining at Ledo as he said good-bye.

People can call it boring, but I prefer story-telling that isn't afraid to take it's time and to really highlight the personal aspect of characterization. Action is all well and good, but it should ALWAYS take a back seat to good, solid story-telling. Further, this was the point of all the "boring" episodes beforehand: to introduce the humanization of Ledo and to highlight the emotions of the other characters. I don't think we were supposed to cry at the death of the Commander, or at Ledo leaving; we were just supposed to understand the feelings of the people involved, understand why Ridget is so emotionally affected, why Amy is crying, and why it means a lot that Ledo is actually THINKING about something other than his mission. The fact that Ledo discusses his younger brother with Bevel means that he's actually thought about it, and has to some degree been hurt by the memory. He is already showing cracks in his robot-soldier facade.

Most shows would have skipped the character building and used the classic mistake of assuming that Tell is as good as Show in storytelling. It takes a certain kind of courage to slow down and really work at building the character in a realistic way: no huge space battles, no pseudo-intellectual rants, no over-blown action scenes to give cheap drama and exposition; just simple every day life. People in this anime have conversations they would realistically have. They do things they would realistically do. They make mistakes, they don't communicate, they doubt themselves and others, and they don't spend hours talking about shit. They work, they play, they live, they eat, they love, they lose, they grow, and when they die, they just die. No huge fanfare; no ten-minute speeches, just a peaceful death and a funeral and everyone else picking up the pieces and trying to move on.

Well, haters gonna hate; armchair critics gonna expect bad tropes and worse techniques and be disappointed when they don't get them. What're ya gonna do? You can lead horses to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

On a side note: Pinion dies next. Heroic sacrifice to teach Ledo the true meaning of loss and finalize his understanding of the depth of human interaction.

I was going talk about this, but you did that for me, people watch this expecting something that is not for them, hell, they even talked about this in the interview.
May 31, 2013 6:52 AM

Apr 2008
JoaoZangetsu said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
00Bubbles00 said:

Funny how writers didn't make Bevel ask him some more questions about civilization in space and war with Hideaze. It would of been good for backstory.

Yeah! Because forced exposition is AMAZING storytelling... always a good choice...

Very well done. It was sad and mournful, but not melodramatic (tears from teenagers and mourning daughters are understandable), and also showed the development of Ledo. He is no longer only fighting just because it's his mission, he's beginning to formulate coherent reasons for his fight: he wants to protect Amy and humanity. He also shows a rebelliousness toward the Alliance propaganda when he tells Bevel that he doesn't want the utilitarian mentality to take over Gargantia.

I thought the Ridget parts were well done if you understand the reasoning behind it. She is coming to terms with being a leader, and part of that was letting go of both her father-figure and letting the ships go without making a scene or causing a fuss. It did well at showcasing the more democratic side of Gargantia and was semi-realistic in the problems a young, brand new leader would face after the death of a long-time, respected leader and mentor/father figure. Amy also showed maturity near the end by not whining at Ledo as he said good-bye.

People can call it boring, but I prefer story-telling that isn't afraid to take it's time and to really highlight the personal aspect of characterization. Action is all well and good, but it should ALWAYS take a back seat to good, solid story-telling. Further, this was the point of all the "boring" episodes beforehand: to introduce the humanization of Ledo and to highlight the emotions of the other characters. I don't think we were supposed to cry at the death of the Commander, or at Ledo leaving; we were just supposed to understand the feelings of the people involved, understand why Ridget is so emotionally affected, why Amy is crying, and why it means a lot that Ledo is actually THINKING about something other than his mission. The fact that Ledo discusses his younger brother with Bevel means that he's actually thought about it, and has to some degree been hurt by the memory. He is already showing cracks in his robot-soldier facade.

Most shows would have skipped the character building and used the classic mistake of assuming that Tell is as good as Show in storytelling. It takes a certain kind of courage to slow down and really work at building the character in a realistic way: no huge space battles, no pseudo-intellectual rants, no over-blown action scenes to give cheap drama and exposition; just simple every day life. People in this anime have conversations they would realistically have. They do things they would realistically do. They make mistakes, they don't communicate, they doubt themselves and others, and they don't spend hours talking about shit. They work, they play, they live, they eat, they love, they lose, they grow, and when they die, they just die. No huge fanfare; no ten-minute speeches, just a peaceful death and a funeral and everyone else picking up the pieces and trying to move on.

Well, haters gonna hate; armchair critics gonna expect bad tropes and worse techniques and be disappointed when they don't get them. What're ya gonna do? You can lead horses to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

On a side note: Pinion dies next. Heroic sacrifice to teach Ledo the true meaning of loss and finalize his understanding of the depth of human interaction.

I was going talk about this, but you did that for me, people watch this expecting something that is not for them, hell, they even talked about this in the interview.

Except it's blatantly failing at what they said it's meant to do anyway.
May 31, 2013 7:04 AM

Feb 2010
Darklight0303 said:
JoaoZangetsu said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
00Bubbles00 said:

Except it's blatantly failing at what they said it's meant to do anyway.

They're constant showing social conflicts, and not only with ledo, you can even take gargantia in a methaphorical way, how is that failing ?

i think you didn't pay enough attention or doesn't really care.
May 31, 2013 5:33 PM
Jan 2012
Another good episode.

Maybe, Red will have a Nausicaa experience with the white squid? I'm still taking in my bet that when he comes back to Gargantia, he will no longer have that "Hideauze is the enemy. We must kill them all or they will kill us all!! Roaarrr" mentality. Every time he equates the white squid to those giant white squids, I'd just want to pull his cheeks back very hard.

When the Earth white squids went under the ships, it was such a beautiful phenomenon.

Or, maybe something in the underwater ruins/excavations will help Red understand something about the current Earth situation a bit more?

As for Red's little brother, finally, we got to see him reflect on that brief memory of his. I wish we had more backstory and Red remembering more.... Aww...
May 31, 2013 10:05 PM

Mar 2013
This anime is becoming such a pain to watch, I'm glad it only has 12 episodes
Jun 1, 2013 3:07 AM

Jan 2013
People are overrating t3h urobutchering. I'm 97% sure that people crying out 'urobutcher will happen' have only watched madoka(and maybe f/z) and heard about the reputation of Saya no uta. He's famous for dark settings and endings, not for killing some blond chick with big breasts.

Also, he's pretty good writer, some random ass killing and abrupt bad ending is not going to happen.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 1, 2013 7:37 AM

Jul 2012
I noticed that it lists 13 episodes for this show, when it was previously 12.
_________
Sad episode, that's all I can say, with the captain dying, and Ledo leaving

Some of Ledo's past was mentioned, with the kid they showed in one of the earlier episodes believed to be his little brother, and there is the possibility that he was discarded for being weak.

Some action in the next episode with them fighting the whalesquids and all.
Jun 1, 2013 9:05 AM

Apr 2009
Ledo is stranded on Earth. That rules out any possibility of him leaving Earth on his own, leaving the Galactic Alliance somehow reaching Earth as the only option for him to return to his side of humanity, since I don't think it's possible for him or the other humans to redevelop faster-than-light / warp travel within their lifetimes. Interesting to see the people of Earth have some sand on hand for funeral rites. It must be quite precious now that dry land is a "myth" and the only way to get more is through salvage work.

Meanwhile, Ridget was the star of this episode, as we watch her succeed the recently deceased fleet captain and literally inherit the keys to the fleet. Transition of power/command is a sensitive phase, and it was well depicted here. Bellows had some very good advice to give her, and Ridget did well to take it. Despite some bits of conflict here and there, the episode was... tranquil and not too somber for an episode containing a long funeral scene.
Jun 1, 2013 9:31 AM

Feb 2010
DawnJ said:
People are overrating t3h urobutchering. I'm 97% sure that people crying out 'urobutcher will happen' have only watched madoka(and maybe f/z) and heard about the reputation of Saya no uta. He's famous for dark settings and endings, not for killing some blond chick with big breasts.

Also, he's pretty good writer, some random ass killing and abrupt bad ending is not going to happen.

This, i'm playing Kikokugai and Phantom VN, it's on a completely different level when you really know about his works.
Jun 1, 2013 10:40 AM

May 2009
Aymaan143 said:
I noticed that it lists 13 episodes for this show, when it was previously 12.

Because that's number what Uro said in interviews.
Jun 1, 2013 1:22 PM
Jan 2010
Rigid, Bellows and Amy gun get raped by pirates
Jun 2, 2013 1:08 PM

Oct 2012
It was a good episode. Shame the Commander died but that's life. Glad to see the new Commander realize that you need to rely on others at some point.
Jun 3, 2013 7:47 PM

Jul 2008
The show continues at its pace but I got a funny feeling that the other shoe is going to drop.
Jun 3, 2013 9:28 PM

Jan 2013
Stella6789 said:
This anime is becoming such a pain to watch, I'm glad it only has 12 episodes
No...
Go troll somewhere else please...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 4, 2013 4:15 AM

Mar 2012
Deleth said:

Those are pretty intense simplifications of rather complex issues/events.

America?
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 2:46 PM

Jan 2011
How the can this even be only 13 episodes? Either everyone is going to fucking fail and die or they're going for a second season... The sorcery man, the sorcery...
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 7, 2013 4:22 AM

May 2013
Noo, Fleet Commander! Why did you have to die?
I like the whole burial process though with the sand and the drop-the-coffin-in-the-water thing.

Noo, Ledo! You can't go back home!
Wow, it takes 6,582 years, 16 hours, and 20 minutes for a message.

Noo, Amy! Your heart is broken and there was no goodbye scene!
At least she said "Ano baka!".

So, Ledo does have reasons why he's leaving other than the whole "I want to kill them since they're the enemy" reason.
I guess we'll be seeing Ledo kill some whalesquids.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jun 14, 2013 7:52 AM
Jan 2010
worst episode so far, abut some stupid annoying old man who wasn't even interesting character and I had zero emotional attachment to, what a waste of 1 of 13 episodes
Jul 7, 2013 1:10 PM

Sep 2011
:((((
Jul 10, 2013 8:33 AM

Oct 2011
This episode made me like Ridget a lot more. She tried so hard to appear as a good, strong leader that she didn't give herself time to grieve for basically her 2nd father. Very touching episode. Ledo talking to Bebel about his little brother was very important, I think. He's realising life isn't just about being a soldier. Sad to see him and Amy get split apart.
Aug 10, 2013 10:08 AM

May 2012
Rather a sad episode in general! People leaving and the captain's funeral :| Well lets see what happens next and if Ledo will ever return to Gargantia!
Oct 29, 2013 5:58 PM

Sep 2011
It's so sad seeing Amy crying :(
I really hope Ledo will be back soon.
Nov 11, 2013 2:02 AM

Mar 2008
I somehow have a feeling chamber might be his lil bro.
I'm probably wrong *sigh*
Apr 18, 2014 6:52 PM

Feb 2013
Depressing funeral is depressing. It was kinda hard not to see people put their trust into their new fleet commander. But then they accepted her at the end. That's good. Looks like Ledo is leaving Amy behind. Off to kill whalesquids! I suspect lots of action on the next episode. I hope we see some action at least. This was a great episode.
May 16, 2014 9:09 AM

Jun 2011
Amy crying was funny, because she talked about the real Ledo, it was just funny because, yeah she would know.

Edit: Never cared about Ridget. Honestly, recently I have a hard time liking any female characters in serious type of anime (non-comedy), I feel like they were never done right. Note: I don't mean I want a Mary Sue.
ToG25thBaamMay 16, 2014 9:17 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 21, 2014 11:56 AM

Oct 2013
dam well the commanders dead
the fleet split into 2
she didn't leave with him???
wonder whats going to happen next episode ???
maybe a time skipp D:
ahhhh the suspense !!
must watch
[/quote]
Aug 12, 2014 8:33 PM

Jun 2014
a spaceship that cant travel at the speed of light? #worst scifi ever. lol jk
Seems like the majority of the other main characters stayed on the fleet, so we will probably see a lot of both fleets until they rejoin maybe....
May 28, 2015 11:57 PM
Jun 2013
That was one long funeral.
Jun 26, 2015 4:45 PM

Jan 2011
Belllow's role is interesting. She's always around, but never really gets the spotlight - even less than Pinion imho. He at least gets to argue with Ridget etc.

I like that everything is peaceful on Gargantia itself. The commodore dead, people leaving etc., but there is no backstabbing or anything. The captains who where there when he died would probably have accepted/chosen Ridget even without him explicitly handing command over, but it helped.

Pinion wants to go and doesn't really care about the traditions anyways, but he wasn't planning anything, either. He wasn't all that polite, but he did stick with protocol, and there was not even open shouting or anything.

And the commander at least didn't die immediately, and had time to hand over command *with witnesses*. Still close to the trope so many anime use, but at least not played completely straight..

Amy surprisingly stayed, too. She is the main girl after all, normally she would go with him if both her heart and her head say "stay"..

Really refreshing.

I wonder though if either Gargantia or Pinion/Flange will have another encounter with the pirates. Seeing how Ledo is with the later, the former is more likely..
NwAurionJun 26, 2015 4:48 PM
Jan 24, 2016 8:38 PM
Nov 2015
I know some feel this moves too slow but I love the deliberate pacing. It's interesting too because you don't actually know if Ledo is right about the Hideauze or not, maybe they are only a threat because they were attacked in the past, or maybe they will become a threat if mankind gets powerful enough. I assume we will learn, but it's interesting that at this point the show doesn't really guide us to think one way or the other about it.
Mar 18, 2016 12:00 PM

Jun 2013
Why the low rating for this episode? I thought it was really beautiful
Oct 20, 2016 7:28 AM

Feb 2012
Commander passing the matrix of leadership onto ridget

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 6, 2017 7:24 PM

Sep 2014
Lets have a full blown out funeral for a guy who probably didn't even get more than 5 minutes of screen time.

You know this would've been a good episode if I did not hate Ridget. The overall message to her about depending on the people around her was still a good one.

Bebel annoys me so much. Ledo is telling him about his convictions and why he is leaving, and what bebel says is that he is wrong...

Also Amy getting super sad over Ledo, but didn't even care much about her bestfriend.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.