How would you rate this anime?
May 24, 2013 6:10 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou

MAL Anime Information Page: Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou

Score: 8.33 (scored by 32512 users)
Ranked: #174
Popularity: #237

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
16 Yes - 36.4%
28 No - 63.6%

51 Don't know this anime - 51.5% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 4.0% of the total number polled
Dark-EvolutionJun 17, 2013 11:03 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 27, 2013 11:58 PM

Sep 2009
Nichibros has some good situational comedy, but all too often it completely forgoes an actual punchline in favour of an exaggerated reaction full of lots of screaming. It can also be very repetitive.

Not always the case, mind you, but far too often for my liking. A good series, but not exceptional by any stretch.
May 28, 2013 3:38 PM
Apr 2011
Wait, do we just judge this show based on how effective the comedy is? I personally never saw any notable "point" or "reason" behind the comedy and thought it was just going for aimless laughs
May 28, 2013 3:59 PM

Feb 2008
Comedies are near-impossible to judge critically (aside from how sophisticated it is, I guess). There's a blatant difference between dreck like Family Guy and a film like Dr. Strangelove, but what about Nichibros compared to Gintama? Not very clear.

I didn't personally get anything from this show aside from a few smiles. So yeah, a no from me.
May 28, 2013 5:26 PM

Oct 2008
i got a shitload of laughs, though it was't super consistent. though, there are better comedies out there - nichijou, for one, is something i'd consider worthy as it is one of the most creative comedies i've seen - both with its skits and with it's insane, beautifully drawn and animated artwork.
what im getting at is that when you compare the two shows, the only thing danshi koukousei has is a bunch of very funny skits, and then some that don't quite hit the mark (for me it was mostly hilarious though). it's animated and drawn on a very basic level. there is essentially no development in character or plot. it is just a bunch of skits, and regardless of how funny they are, it does not make the show exceptional enough.
May 28, 2013 7:20 PM

Jan 2011
I'll just repeat.

Nichibros is my favorite anime but you'd have to be very biased to believe it's exceptional enough to be in the relations list. Lot of times the comedy lacks consistency and some punchlines are either predictable or a miss. It took a very original approach to moe and the characters do have a charm that I feel a lot of other comedy shows missed, but again that doesn't justify something I'd put as "must watch". Maybe "definitely" give it a try.
May 31, 2013 9:53 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty much what everyone has said above.

It's a hit and miss when it comes to its punchlines. While some skits were definitely up to Gintama's alley, some were very forgettable and outright bland. It should be noted that the voice acting is top-notch though. Some lame punchlines were greatly saved by the deliverance of Nichibro's seiyuus.

Edit: I'm a bit on a fence because of my own bias but I'd say no.
zetsuboSenseiJun 3, 2013 8:35 AM
Jun 1, 2013 3:02 AM

Aug 2011
If these were lists of great introductions to anime, this would be a shoe-in. As a list of stand out, exceptional anime, it becomes a lot more on-the-fence. The comedy is top-notch; this could very well be the best comedy anime I've seen. But I haven't seen many in the genre, as I tend not to prefer it. I like my anime full of guns and blood and swearing. However, it's still very good. But I think it could pale in comparison to a comedy anime with a plot line. For a live-action comparison, Whitest Kids U' Know is a hilarious skit-based show. But it isn't exceptional. Likewise, this has made me laugh obnoxiously loud, and hard enough to have to catch my breath afterward, but exceptional might be pushing the envelope.

I'll be finishing the last three episodes before I come to a conclusion, though.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Jun 1, 2013 6:21 AM

Feb 2012
I watched it recently and have to agree with the general consensus that comedy is just a hit and miss. I'd seen one scene on youtube and thaught how funny that was but I got only a few more great laughs from it. As it is really focused on the short sequences and punchlines it's hard to get consistent enjoyment out of it if only every 2nd or 3rd joke connects.

I watched Arakawa Under the Bridge shortly after Nichibro and found that the comedy built around the setting and characters was more consistent in delivering entertainment.

It's a cool show with some nice punchlines if you've seen enough anime but it's nothing exceptional.
Jun 1, 2013 6:47 AM

Oct 2012
Its quite hard to decide this one. Since, there is some scenes that have a really good jokes and there was time when the jokes wasnt funny AT ALL or we can said FAIL. But, if we're talking about enjoyment, i must say i quite enjoy Nichibros. The punchlines is really hit the spot -and of course there was a time when it MISS i mean, Failed-

One thing that really top notch about this anime was the sound. I totally agree about this one. The "quality" of the sound itself (especially from the seiyuu) remembering me about Gintama. But, it still cant reach that level.

So, no for me.
Jun 2, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2013
As it is already mentioned, this anime has its own streak of funny scenes. And also failed to achieve that level in some scenes.
I did my schooling in a boys school and when I look at this anime, it brings back memories of mine or rather of the whole student body. Most of the scenes were nostalgic, no matter how ridiculous they were. Probably that is why this anime holds such an importance to me. As for the anime, the Author did pretty good job on portraying the daily lives of high school boys.

So, a yes from me.
Jun 2, 2013 2:46 PM

Sep 2009
dattebayo_sennin said:
As it is already mentioned, this anime has its own streak of funny scenes. And also failed to achieve that level in some scenes.
I did my schooling in a boys school and when I look at this anime, it brings back memories of mine or rather of the whole student body. Most of the scenes were nostalgic, no matter how ridiculous they were. Probably that is why this anime holds such an importance to me. As for the anime, the Author did pretty good job on portraying the daily lives of high school boys.

Um, excuse me, isn't this completely subjective? What has your nostalgia got to do with whether this show is actually good or not?
Jun 2, 2013 2:54 PM

Jan 2013
@Lindle
Yes, it has nothing to do with it. I was stating that it was well done considering how high school boys generally are. In that particular aspect, I find it pretty good.
Jun 2, 2013 9:55 PM
Apr 2011
I think he's trying to say that Nichijou's ability to connect with the audience increases the potency of the comedy. However, I would argue that this "fucking around in highschool" aspect is not any more remarkable than the countless other school shows who exhibit this theme. I also think that the over-the-top comedy (the desperate kind) undermines the whole "realism" that dattebayo_sennin seems to emphasize
Jun 3, 2013 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
@YOLOswaggins @Lindle
Thanks for your comments. When someone questions your arguments and you don't have an appropriate answer, it means either your point is weak or you are wrong. Well, it seems like I need to rethink on this one.
Jun 3, 2013 1:22 PM

Dec 2007
Translated review: http://naomeapeteceestudar.blogspot.pt/2013/05/danshi-koukousei-no-nichijou.html

It's a nice variation to our usual slice-of-life that follows the daily life of cute girls in high-school. But, as it should be, the daily life of boys is much funnier. The series is composed by small skits that talk about punctual situations of life, always crowned by a gag and a punchline that bring up the joke. Sometimes.

We have to admit that it's hard to classificate and criticize a comedy anime, or a comedy movie, or a comedy book, because the said one - the comedy - is entirely subjective. There are things I find fun that other people don't think so (for example, puppy tails) and things people find fun and that I viscerally abominate (for example, internet memes) So, I suggest that when criticizing the comedy anime we restrict ourselves to what we usually do (animation and art, music, development). And also, very important, to the efficienty of the comedy: did it make us laugh? Then it's good. Because the objective of comedy is to make people laugh-

With this, I can say that The Daily Life of Highschool Boys is a good anime. Because it make me laugh, sometimes, because it entertained me for four hours and a half of my life. However, I omit a good classification due to the rest of the points.

The animation is poor and seemed not very efficient in some occasions. The changes in the character designs to add comical effect wether works very well or is indifferent and it was used so many times that it ended up losing the surprise effect that it had on the first episodes. There are little action scebes, as this is an anime about daily life, and those that exist are the plays of the boys. They have nothing special, except that the exagerated coreographies bring a fun effect.

Narrative and character development do not exist. Something that I did not understand was the relation between the ages of the boys and the older and younger sisters. Considering they are in the second year of highschool and the sisters wear uniforms, are they all in highschool? Siblings with such a little age difference have an authority relation like this? I would not know. The situations, maybe I would have found them funnier if I had been a highschool boy. But I never was one and I'll never be one, so I can't identify with some of the things of this anime.

Musically, nothing to point at the parenchima. The OP seemed inadequate, but the ED was absolutely hilarious, especially by the animation that corresponds to it.

In terms of voices, Gintoki is the one who shines. The feminine voices are all kind of irritating and it's not explained why they all talk screaming. The extra of Highschool girls (are funky) was the part I liked less. Even though I find interesting that not many of the girls of this series have a face. :3

If someday you feel like watching a light and happy thing, here's an option.

It's a no.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.