Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 25, 2013 12:42 PM

Jan 2009
Now here's another my part of the theory

The reason the Reiner and the others wanted to destroy all of humanity is because... all of those IN the walls were destined to become titans and rampage.. why? Possibly because of Dr. Jaeger's "cure" for the plague those within the walls have had. That causes them to become titans. But, then again, what about the titans outside before then?... They are the ones from the other civilization which Dr. Jaeger works with (hence when he left the area, it was attacked). Reiner and the other titan shifters want to cleanse these species that are experimented on and will be doomed to turn into titans soon.

To add up to your theory- The cult (religion) could be the spies from the outside world. Also- isn't it weird that all books on the outside world (like the one Armin had) were banned? It's because the outside civilization doesn't want those within the wall to know about the existence of an alternate society.
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=603785#va8JC4MCTDlIkEP0.99

I LIKE THIS THEORY

its inline with my theory and others too that at chapter 40+ all humans on Connie's village all become titans including her mom
and many speculate including me that titans are man made scientific experiments to evolve humans to be solar powered and strong perhaps, the only bad side effect is that they attack their own kind

and also maybe the walls are primarily built for them to be isolated instead of protecting them from titans or both, since as you said their city are filled with potential titans
May 25, 2013 1:44 PM

Aug 2011
all of this is wrog nuff said
May 25, 2013 5:01 PM

Mar 2010
OP: When fighting Titan Annie, Levi got a scar on his face. What was coming out of it? TITAN steam.

- WHAT CHAPTER DID THAT HAPPEN?

By the way, the ''titans are dead humans'' especially because of that Connie's mother resemblence.

Btw my thery is that titans might eat humans because they want to become bigger, and maybe then they gain more intelligence that way too ? And maybe colossal titan is a class above others or the last stage. Hairy Titan is probably some doctor / or someone from another outside world/ in titan form to see how things have been going.

LylaazMay 25, 2013 5:15 PM
May 25, 2013 5:08 PM

Nov 2009
I saw a joke about Levi/Revaille being a clean-freak (as he was wearing some cleaning clothes back in one of the early chapters.) And then guess what the Hairy Titan does? After squashing the disobeying Titan, it looks at its own bloody hand and goes "Ughhh..." as if it were expressing disgust.

Just a thought/joke :P

Although I highly doubt he is actually the hairy one, even if he turned out to be a Titan. After all, the Hairy Titan did ask Mike about the 3D gear.

deviantART                                    YouTube  
May 25, 2013 8:29 PM
May 2013
Like a couple other people have said, Levi probably isn't the hairy titan because of the whole curiosity w/ the 3D gear and ability to communicate
But I think he might just have titan abilities!
After Reiner and Bertholdt's reveal I've been real suspicious of anyone who looks like they have titan steam coming off of them

healing cut in bottom left panel?
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/27/44

more steam; could hanji and mike have titan abilities too?
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/28/3
Except Mike was brutally killed so I don't think he had any titan abilities (it doesn't look like there's any steam coming directly off any wounds on that page though..)
May 25, 2013 10:22 PM

May 2013
I have a strong feeling that the hairy titan is Annie's father. We don't get to see his face but what I could make out somewhat resembles the hairy titan. Living in the Trost District, he probably wasn't able to observe the 3DMGs up close since no one within the walls had to use them until after the fall of Wall Maria. Annie's father probably just focused his time preparing Annie for their goal and left (maybe with Eren's father). If this is true, I believe that his current goal is to retrieve Annie as he gathers intel.
MrMornstarMay 26, 2013 12:53 AM
May 26, 2013 2:09 AM

Jan 2010
TO BUILD UP ON THE HAIRY TITAN = HE IS THE CORRECT EXPERIMENT. THE OTHERS ARE ALL FAILED EXPERIMENTS

From what we said in this forums, it's safe to assume that the hairy titan is not Levi- I never thought that was a strong theory concerning that he didn't seem to know the 3DG.

MrMornstar said:
I have a strong feeling that the hairy titan is Annie's father. We don't get to see his face but what I could make out somewhat resembles the hairy titan. Living in the Trost District, he probably wasn't able to observe the 3DMGs up close since no one within the walls had to use them until after the fall of Wall Maria. Annie's father probably just focused his time preparing Annie for their goal and left (maybe with Eren's father). If this is true, I believe that his current goal is to retrieve Annie as he gathers intel.

I like this theory. We were never informed where Annie came from to begin with. For all we know, she could have been part of the outside world. Now I am inclined to agree that Annie's father just might be the hairy titan.

Lylaaz said:
OP: When fighting Titan Annie, Levi got a scar on his face. What was coming out of it? TITAN steam.

- WHAT CHAPTER DID THAT HAPPEN?

By the way, the ''titans are dead humans'' especially because of that Connie's mother resemblence.

Btw my thery is that titans might eat humans because they want to become bigger, and maybe then they gain more intelligence that way too ? And maybe colossal titan is a class above others or the last stage. Hairy Titan is probably some doctor / or someone from another outside world/ in titan form to see how things have been going.

I agree with the Hairy titan being one from the outside world. The idea that the more they eat the different class they are is also interesting, but wouldn't that mean that the colossal titan ate too many? But then again- Bert and Reiner are special titan shifters, so they might be based on their human form, whereas the other titans are not that developed, so they eat to get bigger. But they do regurgitate the humans they eat, seeing as how they don't have digestive systems or any systems at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2013 2:14 AM

Jan 2010
Potpourri said:
Kurimu-chan said:

Ymir was around for much longer than any of the current main characters. If you recall, the titan from Ilse Langer's story knew Ymir and knew she had others of her kind. This was the 34th expedition. The current expedition is the 57th. Now, if we accept the prequel novel as canon, then that means that 3D Manuever Gear existed for about ~10 years before the manga started, and Ilse Langer was seen using the 3D Manuever gear. In the story Ymir is around 17, meaning 5 years ago she was 12, and let's assume the Ilse Langer event took place 5 years before the start of the manga, therefore Ymir would have been 5. Now you can say that that makes sense, and the Titan was probably told she was Ymir by her parents or something, but Ymir knows how to read languages of cultures that are long dead, which Reiner, Bertholdt, and even Annie don't know how to do, so it isn't something that is an ability of all people living outside the walls, meaning Ymir must be far older than any of our current protagonists. So we can safely say that Ymir is far older than 17, and most likely far older than Dr.Jaeger himself.

(Not to mention what is REALLY INTERESTING -- Ymir is also the name of a Norse god who is the ancestor to all giants, and we know Ymir in SnK is far older than anyone in our story, and in the Ilse Langer bit, she was referred to as "Ymir-sama", or "Ymir, the great", meaning she could have been their leader, queen,....an..ce..stor?)

I actually had to go back and reread that side story, and just now noticed the titan saying "Ymir-sama".

Building up and agreeing to your theories, I see that.

1) Ymir is either way older than everyone, is from the outside world, or both

2) The "dead" language she can read which surprised Reiner does not necessarily have to be dead- it might be the language of the outside world. It's dead to those within the walls though. This also explains why books on the outside world are banned. Another theory is yours, in which Ymir is actually way older than she is.
--> This also explains how she was able to eat Reiner and Bert's village.

3) Ymir might not only refer to her alone, but to people of her kind- the outside people (Ymir people, as that titan called them).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2013 9:54 AM
May 2013
Anyone has a theory of the motivation behind Reiner attacking the wall 5 years ago. He said his village was attacked by titans, if this was true, then he didn't have the ability to titan-shift back then. So somewhere down the line he was able to obtain that ability. But then he was somehow persuaded by outsiders to attack? Shouldn't he be all piss off and try to kill all the titans like Eren? Something doesn't fit here...

To comment on OP's theory: I think it's some kind of virus that transform human into titan. It could be man-made or naturally occurred. Either way it was probably out of control a thousand year ago and turn most of the human population into titans. The stronger humans are able to retain their mind while the weaker ones become mindless flesh eating monsters. Some are so weak they can barely stand, like the people in Connie's village.

This also suggest that the hairy titan sneaked into the wall and release the virus. That's why there's no damage to the wall.

As to who build the wall...the surviving humans 1000 years ago could've built it, if they found a way to use the virus to turn people into titan then into the walls. Then the Cult's job is simply to keep people from freaking out by tians inside the walls.

Then again, the titans outside could've built the wall to trap the remnants of humanity. But to what purpose this serves is beyond me.
May 26, 2013 12:57 PM

May 2013
tamasei said:

Then again, the titans outside could've built the wall to trap the remnants of humanity. But to what purpose this serves is beyond me.

Re-production? If you consider that titans don't have any visible means of reproduction, isn't keeping certain stock of them just logigal. Though why to attack then is an other question...
May 26, 2013 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
tamasei said:
Anyone has a theory of the motivation behind Reiner attacking the wall 5 years ago. He said his village was attacked by titans, if this was true, then he didn't have the ability to titan-shift back then. So somewhere down the line he was able to obtain that ability. But then he was somehow persuaded by outsiders to attack? Shouldn't he be all piss off and try to kill all the titans like Eren? Something doesn't fit here...

His village getting attacked by titans doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't have the ability to shape-shift back then. For all we know it could have been a titan vs. titan brawl, with Reiner's faction losing.

Why they attacked the walls 5 yrs ago:
My theory is that they needed to get inside the walls for some reason. If they tried to get in as humans, they'd be under suspicion off the bat, mostly likely they'll be questioned and remembered for a long time. Furthermore I don't think they'll just let anyone from outside in on account of plague and other types of diseases they might be carrying. So the only option they had of getting in anonymously was as titans, by literally smashing a hole through the weakest parts of the wall.

As for why they wanted to get inside the walls, my guess is that there's some form of information inside that they're trying to find out. That information is probably related to Eren's dad and/or the nobility living inside the innermost walls (if they're connected). Reiner and co have proven that they have some rudimentary knowledge of how the walls are laid out since their points of attack were very specific (gates and only wall maria), but I think they have only a vague idea of the rest, just like how the people living inside the wall have little idea what it's like outside. The thing is, we don't know the extent of their knowledge about the wall's interior prior to the first breach. They might have thought that breaching wall maria was enough to get inside the innermost wall. Since we don't know how and when the walls were built, a third wall (wall sina or wall rose) might have been a more recent development that the people who have lived all their lives outside the wall wouldn't have known about. Anyway the next five years was probably spent on information gathering and/or waiting for the people to let down their guards again.

OR their motivation could be revenge against the nobility of the inner wall, who seem to be connected to the titans (maybe Ymir) in some way.

Either way, it all points to the inner walls. All we know is that they're progressively aiming for the center, with inexplicable breaks in between. If all they wanted to do was destroy humanity, then they would have done so already, and easily too-all they had to do was break through all walls in one go. They even took the time to integrate into society. You have to wonder why Annie joined the military police in the first place when she doesn't seem to have the same motivations as the others who joined. But it would make sense if they wanted to get closer inside. Reiner and Bert were probably aiming for the military police as well (if not why even aim for top ten if your intention was to lay low?), that is until the appearance of titan Eren pretty much fucked up their plans.
vollMay 26, 2013 3:06 PM
May 26, 2013 5:50 PM
Apr 2013
Honestly if Levi was a titan then Mikasa would almost have to be a titan as well. They're pretty much gender opposites of each other, and it's clear Mikasa isn't a titan, so what would make Levi a titan, other than extremely subtle graphical effects on a single panel.

I would be really interested in hearing theories about how the Sun affects the titans, and what that has to do with their body becoming steaming hot when their blood comes into contact with it. But then, they usually do not move at night. They do not sleep, but stop moving at night and require sunlight for what reason? Well...

[A circadian rhythm is any biological process that displays an endogenous, entrainable oscillation of about 24 hours. These rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and rhythms have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria. The formal study of biological temporal rhythms, such as daily, tidal, weekly, seasonal, and annual rhythms, is called chronobiology. Although circadian rhythms are endogenous ("built-in", self-sustained), they are adjusted (entrained) to the local environment by external cues called zeitgebers, commonly the most important of which is daylight.]

I think it's been well established that all of the titans within Wall Rose were at one point human. How they became titans is what confuses everyone, since Titans have no digestive tract, but humans do. Titans do not need sustenance, but humans do. Titans can seemingly produce limbs out of nothing, how? But we know they were humans. It's pretty clear that 99% of the titans we've seen so far are humans-turned-titans. (I don't know about that ape titan) So I wonder if anyone has theories on that
May 26, 2013 6:26 PM
May 2013
Actually, I just re-read vol 4, Reiner said his village was attacked AFTER the wall was broken. They didn't know because information didn't travel fast enough to their village. This means they were flat out lying then, because they just took down the wall, they're not going back to some village to sleep.

It makes sense too since when asked about where they're from, they kinda look hesitant to answer. At first it just looks like they don't want to remember it but now it looks like they're trying to find a cover story.

One thing is true though, Reiner wants to go back to his home town, no matter what it takes.

After Reiner and co captured Eren and Ymir, it seems like their destination (aka Reiner's true home town) is beyond Wall Maria. That's the assumption that Hanji-san made and the basis of the current rescue plan, so we'll roll with that for now.

And we know Reiner and co ran into Ymir in titan form when they were kids. Assume this is outside the wall, then Reiner must have been forced to attack the wall for some reason, probably a deal with someone in charge outside the wall. He never said their plan was to wipe out humanity, just to attack. So it's plausible their plan is to infiltrate, but I imagine they can just climb over the wall like hairy titan and Annie did. It should be easy to make up some back story, it's not like the government keep a precise census of the entire population.
May 26, 2013 8:33 PM

Apr 2013
tamasei said:
Assume this is outside the wall, then Reiner must have been forced to attack the wall for some reason, probably a deal with someone in charge outside the wall.
That does seem like the most likely reason.
tamasei said:
So it's plausible their plan is to infiltrate, but I imagine they can just climb over the wall like hairy titan and Annie did. It should be easy to make up some back story, it's not like the government keep a precise census of the entire population.
How would they scale the wall without getting noticed though? I'm pretty sure they have people up there on the lookout 24/7, and even if those people were slacking, a 20m titan scaling up the wall (assuming its carrying the other two inside its mouth) is pretty hard to miss. If there wasn't anyone stationed up there, it would still be pretty hard for the townspeople to miss a 20m titan scaling or jumping down the wall. Annie and co would be attacked immediately. iirc it was in that vulnerable position that Annie was defeated.
If by some means they were able to get inside unnoticed, what kind of backstory would be plausible? wouldn't they be about Eren's age then? A bunch of unknown orphans suddenly appearing in the neighborhood would be a suspicious and noteworthy occurance, no matter how you look at it. I think the only way they could've blended in with little suspicion would be during the aftermath of a wall breach. There would be little questions then, because people will just assume that they're one of many who've lost their homes in the attack.
vollMay 27, 2013 1:41 PM
May 27, 2013 6:52 AM

Sep 2011
The Levi one is hte same as the one I came up with, well, I didn't think Levi was the Hairy Titan, nor Eren's dad. I actually had a thread posted about it somewhere..

The first one is a dumb one.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 27, 2013 11:08 AM

Apr 2013
Potpourri said:
I would be really interested in hearing theories about how the Sun affects the titans, and what that has to do with their body becoming steaming hot when their blood comes into contact with it. But then, they usually do not move at night. They do not sleep, but stop moving at night and require sunlight for what reason? Well...

[A circadian rhythm is any biological process that displays an endogenous, entrainable oscillation of about 24 hours. These rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and rhythms have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria. The formal study of biological temporal rhythms, such as daily, tidal, weekly, seasonal, and annual rhythms, is called chronobiology. Although circadian rhythms are endogenous ("built-in", self-sustained), they are adjusted (entrained) to the local environment by external cues called zeitgebers, commonly the most important of which is daylight.]

I think it's been well established that all of the titans within Wall Rose were at one point human. How they became titans is what confuses everyone, since Titans have no digestive tract, but humans do. Titans do not need sustenance, but humans do. Titans can seemingly produce limbs out of nothing, how? But we know they were humans. It's pretty clear that 99% of the titans we've seen so far are humans-turned-titans. (I don't know about that ape titan) So I wonder if anyone has theories on that

Maybe titan bodies are made up of plant tissue:

-Why they produce lots of steam: "Water typically makes up 80 – 95% of the mass of growing plant tissues...The most important factor driving water movement in plants is a process known as transpiration. Transpiration is the loss of water from plants in the form of vapor (evaporation). Plants utilize most of the water absorbed from the soil for transpiration (95%)" from clemson.edu

-Because the majority of its mass is made up of water, once it evaporates the bodies would be pretty lightweight, which Hanji notes.

-It would also explain how the titan shifters could produce a body 10 times their size out of thin air. 5-20% of the mass probably comes from the titan shifter himself, while the rest it made up of water from the atmosphere. This rapid condensation of the air is also probably why there's thunder/lighting when the colossal titan appears.

-Why they need sunlight to move: "Photosynthesis is a process used by plants and other autotrophic organisms to convert light energy, normally from the sun, into chemical energy that can be used to fuel the organisms' activities." from wikipedia

-This would also explain why the titans could move that night in Castle Utgard. During that time, there was a full moon out, which would give titans the sunlight they needed to move.

-Regeneration: "Plants can regenerate all body parts from precursor cells. Many trees, for example, can be cut off at the ground and, in due course, sprouts appear at the margins of the stump. These go on to develop new stems, leaves, and flowers." from rcn.com

Not sure how circadian rhythms fit into all of this, but it gave me the idea about plants.
Sorry about the copious copy-pasting, my knowledge in science is subpar at best lol. Would love to hear from someone with more expertise on this topic.

EDIT: I've been thinking about how plant cells could be integrated into humans and I remember it being mentioned in Shinsekai Yori that olive trees and humans are the only ones with 23 pairs of chromosomes. Any thoughts on this? Another possible source could be the Forest of Giant Trees located between Wall Maria and Wall Rose.

EDIT2: added another point regarding how they could move at night.
vollJun 17, 2013 11:59 PM
Jun 1, 2013 2:12 PM

Jan 2010

Pretty much foreshadowing/ironic to the fact that they might really be toyed with.

Another thing- to the theory about an alternate modern society exisitng... isn't it funny how they keep putting emphasis on the year and timeline? It's like they're trying to hint that they might really be living in the past.

Forgetfulness said:
I really like your theory on Eren travelling through time. It certainly makes sense except I have one question:

Would you say Eren's mind is in both the past and his Titan form?
I don't think the past Eren can go to Titan Eren's mind(at least, not the whole time) since Eren had to carry the boulder to plug the wall. If the past Eren was controlling his mind the whole time, he wouldn't have known his mission.

I think the past-theory is the most far-fetched one of mine, so I'd like to think it's more of an alternate reality one that goes to the past- although this does not justify why he asked about Mikasa's hair in the first episode or how he saw his father in his dream.. this theory is filled with too many holes but could be grasping something similar to what the store will aim for. Possibly.
Jun 1, 2013 4:26 PM

Sep 2011
In the manga where Armin tries to save Eren because he lost control of his Titan form and was attacking Mikasa; He said that "as long as we don't strike the titans in the gape of their neck they won't die, which is true. So he strikes to the side of it and strikes Erens arm, thus making him remember. If he didn't strike to the side he would of hit Erens Spine/Neck instant killing him and probably disintegrate due to the titans fluids.

What if every titan has a Human inside of them like that..

Not sure if this theory has been proven wrong or said yet, but I saw you said something about every Titan being a Dead human.
Jun 1, 2013 9:50 PM
May 2013
Tyrel said:
In the manga where Armin tries to save Eren because he lost control of his Titan form and was attacking Mikasa; He said that "as long as we don't strike the titans in the gape of their neck they won't die, which is true. So he strikes to the side of it and strikes Erens arm, thus making him remember. If he didn't strike to the side he would of hit Erens Spine/Neck instant killing him and probably disintegrate due to the titans fluids.

What if every titan has a Human inside of them like that..

Not sure if this theory has been proven wrong or said yet, but I saw you said something about every Titan being a Dead human.

I think every Titan is an alive human. Just saw the latest anime episode, and it's pretty clear that Eren's father injected him with something that allow Eren to turn into Titan. His dad also said you must control this power. So it can be assume that most people who turned into titans couldn't control it and become mindless monsters.

If there is a human body inside each titan I think they would have learned about it by now, given Hanji-san's eagerness to experiment on titans. So probably the human body in lower class titans are absorbed/merged after transformation whereas titan shifters are able to retain their selfs. I think if you kill a titan shifter, the titan will evaporate and you'd end up with a dead human body.

It seems more and more likely that titans were created as a form of weapon. Since they can't even reproduce, you can hardly call that next stage of evolution. Maybe this country was at war with someone else. Experimented with bio-weapon and lost control, so they used what they know to wall up their borders.
Jun 1, 2013 9:58 PM

Oct 2011
I got this crazy theory that Armin might actually be a boy.
Jun 2, 2013 3:00 AM

Oct 2011
My prediction is that Berthold and Reiner are going to break up and go their own way.
My theory is that our donkey kong is Eren's father, or one of Armin's parents.

Anyone recall if there's a rain scene? I don't recall any rain o-o
iasuruJun 2, 2013 3:04 AM
Jun 2, 2013 5:11 PM

Apr 2013
Iasuru said:
My prediction is that Berthold and Reiner are going to break up and go their own way.

...they were dating?!
Jun 2, 2013 5:17 PM

Dec 2009
I also had a similar theory of Titans once being humans and somehow became "Titans", though I think it should be really obvious to everyone.
And maybe the answer is already known from the manga.
Jun 3, 2013 10:05 AM
Jun 2013
Ever notice how Mikasa frequently seems to be holding her head as if she's having a headache? Think that has any major significance?
Jun 3, 2013 10:36 AM

Apr 2013
tendertalons said:
Ever notice how Mikasa frequently seems to be holding her head as if she's having a headache? Think that has any major significance?
She has migraines, or at least that's what I think.
Jun 3, 2013 1:32 PM
Jun 2013
Yeah that was also my first speculation too but if I recall during 'critical' moments she says something along the lines of "Ugh...that again" which made me ponder for a bit. Still it's far too early to conclude for sure since so many questions have yet to be answered.
Jun 3, 2013 1:36 PM

Dec 2012
DEMOLITION_D said:
I got this crazy theory that Armin might actually be a boy.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

tendertalons said:

There is a titan in her brain.

voll said:
Iasuru said:

...they were dating?!

Clearly. Reiner sword-fux him up the ass.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 4, 2013 2:52 AM

Apr 2013
tendertalons said:

Her having suffered traumatic experiences at such a young age might be a reason? :P
"that again" is the feeling of losing her family that she has already experienced twice

In the manga I think we saw the titan that ate Eren as a human

bearded titan D:
It's not there in the same scene in the anime though
Jun 5, 2013 3:34 PM

Feb 2012
After researching the manga like a madman for 1 week straight, along with gathering a bunch of different theories and studying them.

Eren is from the future......maybe
The Time Travelling theory the OP and many others like myself speculate isnt so far fetched,think about it. Eren wakes up from his dream in first episode, in the Manga, Mikasa said "See you Later, Eren" he wakes and he suddenly asks her if her hair has gotten longer. I believe Mikasa may have even sent Eren back in time and it has something to do with her CLAN Ability and headaches. If you watched the Butterfly Effect Ashton Kutcher is able to send his consciousness into the past and has headaches prior and after the event(something like that, it was a long time ago).

Back to Eren. His dream had images that looked like flashbacks from future events. he also said "It feels like i was dreaming forever" or "It feels like i had a really long dream". What's even more peculiar is the name of 1st chapter and episode, To you 2000 years from now.

SNK and Norse Mythology This one is very interesting. Not a theory but the similaties between SNK world and Norse Mythlogy, inspiration perhaps. Just look at all the references in the story. Inspired by the Viking mythology, as shown in many references throughout the story and names of certain characters. For instance, Armin talks about the outside world; Sea of flames Muspelheim and Field of Ice Niflheim. Which, if you look for it in the Norse(viking) Mythology, it exist the outside of Midgard and Jötunheimr. In Norse Mythology they build a wall to protect themselves from giants. The walls were made with the eyelashes of YmirYmir is the primeval being, the very first being in the Norse Mythology whom of which killed by Odin and other major gods. (the name, most likley a clan or family in SNK) has a connection with the Titans."Ymir-sama" as seen in the side chapter with Ilse Lagdner.
Jun 5, 2013 8:53 PM

Oct 2011
voll said:
Iasuru said:

...they were dating?!

if that's how you want to look at it.
Jun 6, 2013 12:51 AM
May 2013
IceBurn said:
After researching the manga like a madman for 1 week straight, along with gathering a bunch of different theories and studying them.

Eren is from the future......maybe
The Time Travelling theory the OP and many others like myself speculate isnt so far fetched,think about it. Eren wakes up from his dream in first episode, in the Manga, Mikasa said "See you Later, Eren" he wakes and he suddenly asks her if her hair has gotten longer. I believe Mikasa may have even sent Eren back in time and it has something to do with her CLAN Ability and headaches. If you watched the Butterfly Effect Ashton Kutcher is able to send his consciousness into the past and has headaches prior and after the event(something like that, it was a long time ago).

Back to Eren. His dream had images that looked like flashbacks from future events. he also said "It feels like i was dreaming forever" or "It feels like i had a really long dream". What's even more peculiar is the name of 1st chapter and episode, To you 2000 years from now.

But the question is why should they go back in time over and over again if they keep failing to win against the Titans? The OP suggested that they maybe are repeating the same story since 2000 years and keep failing everytime..what would be the point in trying that so long?

/Edit:

A link about the time travel theory:
http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/311511-Muv-Luv-and-shingeki-no-kyojin-chapter-1-OMG-the-pieces-fit!!

And I found this thread with interesting theories, just want to share it. The ideas sound pretty plausible but who knows:
http://www.batoto.net/forums/topic/12509-erens-importance-spoilers/
FluffymanJun 6, 2013 2:59 AM
Jun 7, 2013 12:52 PM

Feb 2009
Knowing the author style he probably gave us most of the clue to guess what the titans are already but we haven't noticed yet.

Maybe the whole thing is an experiment, but nothing tells us that the human were the ones doing the experimenting though and that the were only one kind of experiment. We got: titans that act just like killing machine, the abnormal, the humans that can turn into titans and then the humans living inside the walls.
Jun 7, 2013 3:57 PM

Mar 2013
Based on all of the Eren time travel theories I have concluded that Eren uses Four Dimensional Maneuver Gear.
Jun 8, 2013 1:19 AM
Sep 2012
i don't know why everyone thinks that the injection is what gave eren titan powers, for some reason i think it was simply an injection to remove his memory because im not sure about everyone who is able to be turned into a titan had that injection.

Watch the story be:
Titans attack humans
2) Humans copy titan DNA
3)Humans turn into titans
4)Titan experiments don't work and humans become extra titans (oh shit)
5)Some titan experiments work and they have intelligence but then they turn on humans cause, fuck humans thats why. (but seriously if you were given that much power, would you go an take orders?)
6)Experiments are stopped and humans camp out within the walls.
Jun 8, 2013 9:42 AM

Nov 2010
I know in the anime, I don't remember the manga. But didn't Eren's dad in the flashback say something about "their memories will help you", so maybe he didn't go back in time but somehow has others memories inside of him through side effect of that shot or becoming a titan.
Jun 8, 2013 2:38 PM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
I know in the anime, I don't remember the manga. But didn't Eren's dad in the flashback say something about "their memories will help you", so maybe he didn't go back in time but somehow has others memories inside of him through side effect of that shot or becoming a titan.
I don't remember his dad saying that in the manga, but I could be wrong. Does anyone remember when the injection scenes were in the manga?
Jun 8, 2013 2:53 PM

Nov 2010
voll said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I don't remember his dad saying that in the manga, but I could be wrong. Does anyone remember when the injection scenes were in the manga?
Well the flashback I'm talking about is when Eren is cornered by the people and is going to get a cannon fired at him, there was another flashback to the injection scene.
Jun 8, 2013 3:43 PM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
voll said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Well the flashback I'm talking about is when Eren is cornered by the people and is going to get a cannon fired at him, there was another flashback to the injection scene.
Ok, just checked that part in the manga and the scenes were the same. I think you might be right about the memories.
Jun 8, 2013 4:04 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

That's right. Because of this sentence, many people suspect that Grisha had been mass-producing human-titans before he disappeared :)

The serum makes Eren to lose his memories (although not completely) after the injection. What the serum contains is (as per usual) a mystery, but it seems to me that extreme stress triggers specific behavior (as if titan imprint was injected), because Eren immediately bit his hand and transformed into the skeleton after recalling the scene with his father.

I haven't read any of the time-travel theories, so, this post is just a reference to the manga and the anime scenes (they are identical).
(Personally, I'll bet on something within more familiar grounds - like psychopharmacology - don't know anything about time travel).
Jun 9, 2013 8:14 PM
Jun 2013
I'm not sure why no one has ever mentioned this about Ymir...but if you recall in the flashback scene of the Scouting Troop Legion member who kept a diary about meeting a talking titan, the titan says "Ymir." Squad leader Hanji also makes a weird face in one of the chapters when someone mentions Ymir. Anyone want to make 2 cents of this?

I think that the girl who was "eaten" became the Ymir we know today, despite looking a little bit different. I mean, the titan called that girl by name.
Jun 10, 2013 5:22 AM

Jan 2012
JTwinkies said:
I'm not sure why no one has ever mentioned this about Ymir...but if you recall in the flashback scene of the Scouting Troop Legion member who kept a diary about meeting a talking titan, the titan says "Ymir." Squad leader Hanji also makes a weird face in one of the chapters when someone mentions Ymir. Anyone want to make 2 cents of this?

I think that the girl who was "eaten" became the Ymir we know today, despite looking a little bit different. I mean, the titan called that girl by name.

I remember when I first read that chapter and I thought it was odd, a titan calling a human Ymir SAMA? I totally forgot about that till you reminded me, it's really interesting...can't come up with any theories right now though
Jun 11, 2013 10:44 AM

Mar 2012
Where is Eren's daddy in this whole mess? Is he the monkey titan, and did he experiment on Reiner's town to stop himself or something?
Jun 12, 2013 3:29 AM
Nov 2012
Okay so bringing up the possibility that Rivaille is a titan just because of that one panel, along with the steam from hanji...I do recall a scene from the anime (and lets face it the anime is basically 100% accurate to the series give or take the actual arrangement of some chapters for cohesion) where the titan blood on (i think) Hanji's scouting cloak evaporated and was magically clean. I also searched through chapter 27 and found no instance where Rivaille was actually injured, but there was a lot of titan blood splattering everywhere. Therefore ruling out that it was 'titan steam' from him regenerating.

I am also unsure of what to make of the flashbacks with Dr. Jaeger, because if Eren had titan ability from the start, was it simply the fact that he wasn't injured that he was unable to transform during the initial attack? Because he most definitely had the emotional catalyst to. While the theories that the injection was simply to cause memory loss do hold some interesting points, i'm not sure how plausible it is. But the initial flashback of that scene has definitely been bothering me because it appears that Armin and Mikasa think that his dad is just gone (possibly dead), never come back, or at least they never mention it. I assume that when they wake up at the warehouse that it was pretty much their first full day after getting to safety, or thats what it felt like, and Eren says something like "I felt like I just saw my dad" and Mikasa tells him something like thats ridiculous (at least in the anime, I think he just ignores the flashback feeling when he's woken up in the manga, but I haven't checked the chapter) So it also raises the question of how could his dad have gotten ahold of him without alerting the fairly sensitive mikasa and taken him to a wooded area when where they are located seems to be more city than woods (again based on the anime, I'm about to go check through the manga and double check)

I also read somewhere that for the actual japanese version that when asked who she thought the real enemy was, Ymir started to say 'sei' before being cut off which could be the beginning of the word for government. Overall I'm really unsure of Ymir's position, particularly as she is the one who attacked R&B previously (doesn't seem like she remembers though) and her whole "live for yourself" attitude which may have come from being ordered around previously by some unknown organization...
Jun 14, 2013 6:20 PM
Jun 16, 2013 2:27 PM

Mar 2012
pocoyan said:
Okay so bringing up the possibility that Rivaille is a titan just because of that one panel, along with the steam from hanji...I do recall a scene from the anime (and lets face it the anime is basically 100% accurate to the series give or take the actual arrangement of some chapters for cohesion) where the titan blood on (i think) Hanji's scouting cloak evaporated and was magically clean. I also searched through chapter 27 and found no instance where Rivaille was actually injured, but there was a lot of titan blood splattering everywhere. Therefore ruling out that it was 'titan steam' from him regenerating.

I am also unsure of what to make of the flashbacks with Dr. Jaeger, because if Eren had titan ability from the start, was it simply the fact that he wasn't injured that he was unable to transform during the initial attack? Because he most definitely had the emotional catalyst to. While the theories that the injection was simply to cause memory loss do hold some interesting points, i'm not sure how plausible it is. But the initial flashback of that scene has definitely been bothering me because it appears that Armin and Mikasa think that his dad is just gone (possibly dead), never come back, or at least they never mention it. I assume that when they wake up at the warehouse that it was pretty much their first full day after getting to safety, or thats what it felt like, and Eren says something like "I felt like I just saw my dad" and Mikasa tells him something like thats ridiculous (at least in the anime, I think he just ignores the flashback feeling when he's woken up in the manga, but I haven't checked the chapter) So it also raises the question of how could his dad have gotten ahold of him without alerting the fairly sensitive mikasa and taken him to a wooded area when where they are located seems to be more city than woods (again based on the anime, I'm about to go check through the manga and double check)

I also read somewhere that for the actual japanese version that when asked who she thought the real enemy was, Ymir started to say 'sei' before being cut off which could be the beginning of the word for government. Overall I'm really unsure of Ymir's position, particularly as she is the one who attacked R&B previously (doesn't seem like she remembers though) and her whole "live for yourself" attitude which may have come from being ordered around previously by some unknown organization...

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I really don't think Levy or Hanaji are titans. We need to keep in mind that as far as we can tell, Titans bodies heal rapidly and Levy is taking a long time to recover from his injuries in his fight agaist the female titan/Annie. Although, perhaps that's slightly misleading because Annie proved in that fight that at least she can control what injuries/body parts she wants to regenerate first.

Still, my overall impression is that Levy and Hamaji aren't Titans.
Jun 16, 2013 3:02 PM

Mar 2012
At the moment, I'm really digging the theories about there being a more advanced society outside the walls. It's really one of the only reasons why I can think that this society would try and control the information about the outside world. I'm curious as to what the king of this society has to hide about the outside world? I'm sure that's something we'll learn more about in due time.

As for the theories as to what the Titans are themselves...two things come to mind. They are either humans that contracted a disease that turns them into Titans or that they are genetic experiments that are running amok. Here's why I like the "disease" aspect of this. Does anyone else remember how flu shots work...that pretty much the point of them is to actually make you sick so you can build up anti-bodies to prevent you from getting even sicker (or something along those lines)? I'm wondering if something is similar with this Titans disease since it seems that Grisha is a renowned doctor and we can pretty much already assume he has some sort of strange role when it comes to these Titans. My thoughts are on it is, what if he essentially developed the Titan flu shot. Something that essentially gives humans Titan-like abilities in the process of preventing them from turning into these mindless, zombie-like Titans? My reasoning for this being a disease is pretty basic...how these titans do resemble humans and how Connie referred to that one Titan looking like his mother. I think that's an interesting theory, but the one thing that's snagging me up on that is, why would Reiner and Berthold assist the Titans in invading the walls?

That brings me back to the "infiltration" theory. Perhaps their purpose wasn't so that the Titans would invade per se, but rather so they could infiltrate the walls themselves for some reason and the Titans were just an unfortunate collateral. It also reminds me of something. Does anyone else remember that the Titans are attracted to the human-Titan hybrids? Perhaps their intention wasn't so that the Titans would invade, they just did so because they were chasing after Reiner and Berthold? There's another thing that makes me think that. I remember the conversation Reiner and Berthold had with Eren and Ymir in the last chapter. It seems that Reiner and Berthold have remorse for Eren's mother dying in the invasion. I have the impression that they truly didn't want the Titans to invade, but they had to for them to achieve their "infiltration" goal. To them, Eren's mother was just another unfortunate casualty for them to achieve their goal.

Now, that leads me to this. Why are they trying to infiltrate this society? I believe that question still has to be answered in the manga. I think there's something there that they are trying to get...and I'm pretty sure it's not just Eren because I'd think if it were, they would've took him while they were training. I get the impression that they are either after something or are trying to accomplish something within the walls. I still have no idea what that is, but I get the feeling we will learn more about it in due time. One theory I do have is perhaps Grisha contracted Annie, Reiner, and Berthold to kidnap his son to bring him to them...but that doesn't hold a whole lot of water since why wouldn't he just take Eren with him when he goes to treat patients? We've obviously seen in the past with Mikasa that he has no qualms in taking Eren with him on his business trips. This one is playing at me a bit because I'm still puzzling why the three of them are so hell bent on kidnapping Eren.

I'm also interested in the walls. We obviously know at the moment that the walls were made up of material produced from the Titans and that cult knows something about it. Perhaps that has something to do with Annie, Reiner, and Berthold's infiltration, but it's hard to say at this point. I'm also interested in finding out Ymir and Krista's role in it as well...since we know Krista knows the secrets about the walls and that Ymir is a human-Titan hybrid that is assisting her. Again, that's something we'll learn more about in due time.

As for the time-travel theories, I'm not completely buying into them yet. I think they are more hallucinations than time travels. I think the "becoming a Titan" process just puts an enormous amount of strain on the mind and it causes hallucinations and memory loss. I'm not getting much of a time travel/dimensional travel vibe from this series. Then again, watch this series prove me wrong...

Overall, a lot of great theories floating around. Gotta give Hajime Isayama credit...he sure has created a really interesting story with a lot of mysterious plot threads. I just hope he covers all of them because it would suck if this series ended with a ton of plot holes.
Jun 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Apr 2013
voll said:
Potpourri said:

Maybe titan bodies are made up of plant tissue:

-Why they produce lots of steam: "Water typically makes up 80 – 95% of the mass of growing plant tissues...The most important factor driving water movement in plants is a process known as transpiration. Transpiration is the loss of water from plants in the form of vapor (evaporation). Plants utilize most of the water absorbed from the soil for transpiration (95%)" from clemson.edu

-Because the majority of its mass is made up of water, once it evaporates the bodies would be pretty lightweight, which Hanji notes.

-It would also explain how the titan shifters could produce a body 10 times their size out of thin air. 5-20% of the mass probably comes from the titan shifter himself, while the rest it made up of water from the atmosphere. This rapid condensation of the air is also probably why there's thunder/lighting when the colossal titan appears.

-Why they need sunlight to move: "Photosynthesis is a process used by plants and other autotrophic organisms to convert light energy, normally from the sun, into chemical energy that can be used to fuel the organisms' activities." from wikipedia

-Regeneration: "Plants can regenerate all body parts from precursor cells. Many trees, for example, can be cut off at the ground and, in due course, sprouts appear at the margins of the stump. These go on to develop new stems, leaves, and flowers." from rcn.com

Not sure how circadian rhythms fit into all of this, but it gave me the idea about plants.
Sorry about the copious copy-pasting, my knowledge in science is subpar at best lol. Would love to hear from someone with more expertise on this topic.

EDIT: I've been thinking about how plant cells could be integrated into humans and I remember it being mentioned in Shinsekai Yori that olive trees and humans are the only ones with 23 pairs of chromosomes. Any thoughts on this?
Modified by voll, 05-27-13, 1:39 PM

Best theory so far

So then, the walls were already there when the humans arrived? That's interesting. But then, how do the priests and others know what is inside of the walls?
PotpourriJun 16, 2013 7:55 PM
Jun 17, 2013 5:00 AM

Dec 2012
Also how did the key to the basement end up around Eren's neck? I thought his father had it with him. Or did I miss something?
「この世に偶然なんてない、あるのは必然だけ」
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Sep 11, 2011

25 by HenryDanger »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1874 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 22, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.