Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 20, 2013 5:13 PM

Dec 2012
Since some companies don't dub every show they license, there are several popular shows that have not received an English dub.

For example, To-Love-Ru is very popular in Japan and licensed in N. America by Sentai, but has yet to see a dub (this is just an example; I've never seen, nor know what this show is about).

This is kinda strange considering the popularity. What do you all think and what licensed shows need a dub that don't already have one?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2013 6:38 PM

Dec 2009
Urusei Yatsura. Hugely popular in Japan, and a cult classic worldwide. Sadly, it's quite old and obviously not happening, though. =(
May 21, 2013 2:09 AM

Aug 2009
XTApocalypse said:
Urusei Yatsura. Hugely popular in Japan, and a cult classic worldwide. Sadly, it's quite old and obviously not happening, though. =(

Technically that series is partially dubbed.I believe there are few British dubs,American dubs, and Animax dubs of some episodes. Sadly I think you can only find parts of these only on youtube.

mrbling252 said:
Since some companies don't dub every show they license, there are several popular shows that have not received an English dub.

For example, To-Love-Ru is very popular in Japan and licensed in N. America by Sentai, but has yet to see a dub (this is just an example; I've never seen, nor know what this show is about).

This is kinda strange considering the popularity. What do you all think and what licensed shows need a dub that don't already have one?

There is a whole shit load of series I would like dubbed, but these two I most definitely want dubbed.

All of To-Love-Ru series
All of Urusei Yatsura series and OVAs.
May 21, 2013 5:44 AM

Dec 2012
I think an even better example (especially for me) than To Love Ru is Gintama. It's slightly more popular and is also licensed by Sentai. They did dub the movie, but that doesn't comfort me because I thought the VA's were not casted well. In my opinion, some other company needs to buy the rights for these shows from Sentai so they can be dubbed and dubbed properly.
May 21, 2013 8:59 AM

Apr 2012
One anime that is lincese but not dub is Usagi drop. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS NOT IN ENGLISH!
May 21, 2013 9:50 AM

Dec 2009
ezikialrage said:
XTApocalypse said:

Technically that series is partially dubbed.I believe there are few British dubs,American dubs, and Animax dubs of some episodes. Sadly I think you can only find parts of these only on youtube.

Very, very, very partially. Only the first two episodes are released in English (excluding movies and OVA's, a few of which are dubbed), and those are only available on VHS. Which I own.
May 21, 2013 2:09 PM

Dec 2012
Oh yeah, almost forgot: Bakemonogatari. TOO MUCH READING!
May 21, 2013 4:37 PM

Apr 2012
mrbling252 said:
Oh yeah, almost forgot: Bakemonogatari. TOO MUCH READING!

Oh god I wish a dub would be made for that.
May 22, 2013 7:40 AM

Nov 2007
Most of the shows that were corralled by NIS America have no chance of getting a dub, like Kimi ni Todoke and Toradora. And who knows when Funimation will ever dub Fairy Tail anime episodes beyond 48, or pick up Case Closed again, or One Piece (at least with this one they keep up with the subs). They've locked up half of Kodocha in licensing limbo since 2006?
May 22, 2013 9:58 AM

Dec 2009
One Piece is still ongoing. It just started airing with episode 207 on [adult swim] last week.
May 22, 2013 6:13 PM

Dec 2012
Angus said:
Most of the shows that were corralled by NIS America have no chance of getting a dub, like Kimi ni Todoke and Toradora. And who knows when Funimation will ever dub Fairy Tail anime episodes beyond 48, or pick up Case Closed again, or One Piece (at least with this one they keep up with the subs). They've locked up half of Kodocha in licensing limbo since 2006?

Funny thing, there are 2 shows I don't mind (and now almost prefer subbed), and that's Toradora and Oreimo. I don't know why, but it really won't bother me if they're not dubbed. For Case Closed, FUNimation just made seasons 1-5 $18 each, so maybe there will be a rise in popularity. As for Kodocha, I always wondered why it was hard to find the dvds. That really sucks!
May 22, 2013 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
Mirai Nikki? Haven't heard any announcements about that... Funimation is taking too long with it :P

I would love to see a quality dub of Gintama, but as long as it's in Sentai's hands I'd rather not see it dubbed at all...

I'm also legitimately interested in listening to an Oreimo dub, though I'm not sure if it's licensed or not.
May 23, 2013 7:54 AM

Dec 2012
carlomandeguz said:
Mirai Nikki? Haven't heard any announcements about that... Funimation is taking too long with it :P

I would love to see a quality dub of Gintama, but as long as it's in Sentai's hands I'd rather not see it dubbed at all...

I'm also legitimately interested in listening to an Oreimo dub, though I'm not sure if it's licensed or not.

Part 1 of Future Diary (Mirai Nikki) will be released in August, so expect a trailer and dub cast announcement in the next few weeks. Personally, I can't wait. I totally agree w/ you about Gintama. Oreimo is licensed by Aniplex of America, so there's a 50-50 chance of a dub. However, I just don't see it being popular enough to dub, and that doesn't totally bother me personally.
May 23, 2013 5:51 PM

Dec 2010
I want a dub of Future Diary and Tales of the Abyss. They dubbed the game, now they need to dub the anime. I've always wanted to give Oreimo a try as well (even if it has to be subbed).
May 24, 2013 4:09 AM

Dec 2010
I do hope Media Blasters to dub Super Robot Wars. I really love that series since I love humongous mecha anime.

Oh god I wish a dub would be made for that.

Agreed with passion. I have to say that very title almost made me stop since it is so dialogue heavy and the pace is just to fast that I nearly just did not last... (What the hell? I just quoted some of the lyrics of Points of Authority by Linkin Park.)

And if ever there is a dub of that very series, I'd like to hear Johnny Yong Bosch as Koyomi as a parallel of his role as Izaya Urihara which was done by his Japanese counterpart Hiroshi Kamiya who played both.
Cristina Vee as Senjougahara Hitagi as a parallel with Chiwa Saitou in Madoka Magica's Homura Akemi.
Michelle Ruff as Nadeko Sengoku as with her Japanese counterpart in Durarara!! as Anri.
Cassandra Lee as Hachikuji Mayoi as a reflection with Kyuubey done by Emiri Katou.
Laura Bailey as Tsubasa Hanekawa as Yui Horie did alongside Honda Tohru in Fruits Basket.
Sarah Williams as Karen Arararagi, this is already a no-brainer since Sarah and Eri were together as Sayaka Miki and CPU Candidate Uni of Madoka Magica and Hyperdimension Neptunia respectively.
Christine Marie Cabanos as Tsukihi Araragi since she can do cutesy voice for her.
Alternatively, they might import Monica Rial as that as a reflection with Yuka Iguchi with Index.

carlomandeguz said:

I have to say that Mirai Nikki could be a great anime to dub as long as that Funimation itself researches it well with the tone by watching the Japanese version first and not like what happened in my opinion in the To Aru Majutsu Index/ Kagaku Railgun dubs. Not that they were that bad but the ADR Director could have just studied it well and that some of the characters could have delivered a dub with the quality of Baccano! or Full Metal Alchemist.

BTW, I do hope Sentai Filmworks could give the fans a favor by either hiring fresh but talented VAs for their titles as they seem to reuse them over and over again and again or use people of Bang Zoom's proximity. Not that I hate their VAs, they are good but because sometimes there is a miscasting.

May 24, 2013 11:43 AM

Dec 2012
The problem w/ the Sentai VA's is that there are maybe 2 or 3 good ones, and they are HEAVILY overused. The rest are kinda mediocre. FUNimation has many talented VA's and a good crop of new ones like Micah Solusod and that guy who played Ayumu in Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

Also, I have to mention that even if Bakemonogatari and Oreimo get a dub, they're licensed by Aniplex and could be crazy expensive. Don't believe me, look at how much they're charging for the re-release of Gurren Lagann.
May 27, 2013 3:34 AM

Dec 2010
mrbling252 said:
The problem w/ the Sentai VA's is that there are maybe 2 or 3 good ones, and they are HEAVILY overused. The rest are kinda mediocre. FUNimation has many talented VA's and a good crop of new ones like Micah Solusod and that guy who played Ayumu in Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

Also, I have to mention that even if Bakemonogatari and Oreimo get a dub, they're licensed by Aniplex and could be crazy expensive. Don't believe me, look at how much they're charging for the re-release of Gurren Lagann.

Yep! I agree with you with this one. I myself have been wanting to buy Aniplex titles yet they are so freakin' expensive. I really wish that I am able to afford such a commodity in today's times. I think I am going to buy them one day though but not this time.
May 27, 2013 9:58 AM

Nov 2007
Just checked Funimation's youtube website, which posted two days ago that Todd Haberkorn got his Fairy Tail tattoo in commemoration of the dubbing of the 100th episode!
May 27, 2013 1:07 PM

Dec 2012
Angus said:
Just checked Funimation's youtube website, which posted two days ago that Todd Haberkorn got his Fairy Tail tattoo in commemoration of the dubbing of the 100th episode!

I saw that, too. Lol. Poor guy.
May 28, 2013 6:15 AM

Dec 2010
Sucks that I can't view their YT channel since region blocking has been implemented. Dang.
May 28, 2013 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
Angus said:

I wish that Funimation would release all of those episodes...

Another one of my wishes is for NIS America to dub their shows (Toradora, AnoHana, etc.), or at least license them to some other company for dubbing.
May 30, 2013 2:31 PM

Aug 2012
There are quite a lot I want, actually, but I'll list the most important ones.

(Aniplex US) Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners (every movie in the series) -- I mean come on, it's fucking Type-Moon and ufotable, man. Do I really need to say anything else?

(Aniplex US) Oreimo: My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute -- I don't really know how popular it is, but considering Aniplex US grabbed the second season, I'd guess it's worth it.

(Aniplex US) The Monogatari Series -- I think you guys already mentioned this.

(Sentai Filmworks) The Pet Girl of Sakurasou -- This little gem managed to get some high scores here. I'd be very pleased to watch this in English, but then again, this is Sentai we're talking about here.

(FUNimation) Attack on Titan -- I think this mention is just a formality. It will get a dub soon, guaranteed.
gamer2710May 30, 2013 2:39 PM
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
May 30, 2013 3:45 PM

Dec 2012
gamer2710 said:

(Aniplex US) Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners (every movie in the series) -- I mean come on, it's fucking Type-Moon and ufotable, man. Do I really need to say anything else?

(Aniplex US) Oreimo: My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute -- I don't really know how popular it is, but considering Aniplex US grabbed the second season, I'd guess it's worth it.

(Aniplex US) The Monogatari Series -- I think you guys already mentioned this.

(Sentai Filmworks) The Pet Girl of Sakurasou -- This little gem managed to get some high scores here. I'd be very pleased to watch this in English, but then again, this is Sentai we're talking about here.

(FUNimation) Attack on Titan -- I think this mention is just a formality. It will get a dub soon, guaranteed.

I hear lot of good things about the Kara no Kyoukai series, but the dvds are so damn expensive and I don't know any sites where I can watch them legally.
May 31, 2013 10:37 AM

Nov 2007
mrbling252 said:
Angus said:

I saw that, too. Lol. Poor guy.

Yeah, he's gonna need some Angelina Jolie / Billy Bob tattoo editing when he gets more live-action roles.
May 31, 2013 6:55 PM

Dec 2012
Anybody heard of a show called Nyan Koi! It's a decent show that, after being licensed for several years and previously released on dvd sub only, will now be getting an English dub. Oh btw, this show is licensed by Sentai. Could this be a sign of Sentai changing it's process?
Jun 7, 2013 12:01 PM

Nov 2007
mrbling252 said:
gamer2710 said:

I hear lot of good things about the Kara no Kyoukai series, but the dvds are so damn expensive and I don't know any sites where I can watch them legally.

And it costs as much as out of print Type-Moon titles like Fate/stay night TV series. :/
Jun 7, 2013 12:08 PM

Aug 2012
Angus said:
mrbling252 said:
gamer2710 said:

And it costs as much as out of print Type-Moon titles like Fate/stay night TV series. :/
Actually, Sentai Filmworks recently acquired that license and re-released it under average, affordable prices.
Jun 7, 2013 8:25 PM

Dec 2012
Yea. I got it a few months ago. Only cost $29.99 on Rightstuf, which is definitely a good price for a Sentai dvd. They also released the Unlimited Blade Works dvd.
Jun 12, 2013 8:07 AM

Nov 2007
Cool! Glad they nabbed that one.
Jun 16, 2013 1:03 PM
Mar 2013
All the Madoka Magica Movies!! Oh and Gosick, Earl and Fairy, The Devil is A part timer, and psycho pass. I wish more anime that are either fantasy or victorian england were dubbed because i think english suits those the best
Jun 16, 2013 2:39 PM

Dec 2012
Kawaiimikichan2 said:
All the Madoka Magica Movies!! Oh and Gosick, Earl and Fairy, The Devil is A part timer, and psycho pass. I wish more anime that are either fantasy or victorian england were dubbed because i think english suits those the best

The Madoka Magica movies are licensed by Aniplex, but not Aniplex of America. That's why there have been small theatrical releases in the States. So it's highly unknown if they'll be dubbed. Gosick was licensed by Bandai, but they're dead now, so the license is in limbo. I've never heard of Earl and Fairy. As for the last 2, they're licensed by FUNimation, so there'll be a dub, it's just a matter of when.
Aug 14, 2013 10:55 PM

Mar 2013
I would like to see Katekyo Hitman Reborn get a dub. The fact that it's licensed by Viz Media means that it's most likely going to happen, but it's been a couple years since they streamed it on their website.

The Kara no Kyokai series needs to get a dub as well. I haven't seen them yet, but from what I've heard they're amazing. Plus it's the same team that did Fate/Zero, Ufotable and Type-Moon, which was amazing.
Aug 16, 2013 7:51 AM
Jul 2018
Two anime in my mind that should be given a dub (both licensed by Sentai Filmworks):

1) Kinmoza/Kiniro Mosaic: Although a lot of you guys may disagree on me since a lot of Engrish is used in it (a slice of life anime about a British loli as a transfer student to Japan), but I think Kinmoza is an anime that is dub worthy. I think the English dub should take a bit step further and give Alice and Karen British accents and make them sound cute with them. In fact, the original Japanese didn't really bother giving accents to characters and more focus on trying to make the English sound accurate, with a few minor mistakes ("Aren't you going to that desert?"). Even if people said British accents were attempted, I think knowing a lot of anime with Japanese voice acting, the attempt to do accents usually ended up sounding broken. And most dubs that give accents to characters can make them sound better them (like Black Butler! and Hetalia).

2) Watamote!: This is anime I think it's dub worthy, and even Sentai Filmworks expressed some desires to dub this show. However, I think it's an anime that is dub worthy for a Bang Zoom! one.
Aug 19, 2013 2:52 PM

Jul 2010
I agree that Kinmoza needs a proper English dub, mostly because the Japanese voices are really starting to annoy me, especially the teacher's!

Anyway, anime that need a dub but are licensed: Anohana, Hana Saku Iroha (I really thought these two were right up FUNimation's alley), Natsume Yuujinchou, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, and Tari Tari.
Aug 19, 2013 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
Firechick12012 said:
I agree that Kinmoza needs a proper English dub, mostly because the Japanese voices are really starting to annoy me, especially the teacher's!

Anyway, anime that need a dub but are licensed: Anohana, Hana Saku Iroha (I really thought these two were right up FUNimation's alley), Natsume Yuujinchou, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, and Tari Tari.

Love to find another person who's also in the same page with me, not sure if you agree with me on the cute British accent part of it though.

I also agree that anohana needs to be dubbed (mainly because Sandy Fox is PERFECT for Menma, the loli character of this anime). I heard in NISA's 2013 Anime Expo that they are revisiting into the idea of dubbing their anime this year (I think I heard of this similar promise like 2 years ago, so I'm definitely not trusting them). If that's the case and really are keeping their word on it, I'm thinking Toradora have a higher chance of getting an English dub since it's one of the their highest selling titles. That being said, there might be a high chance that NISA will pick up Dog Days (despite being made by Aniplex) as the title to give an English dub since the anime both a cliche storm (since a lot of the anime NISA picks up tend to have lots of popular anime cliches) and a lot of action that will attract a lot of audiences who are familiar with the shonen action genre like Bleach and Naruto.
Mar 27, 2014 7:55 AM

Mar 2014
Valvrave the Liberator licensed by Aniplex USA- Too beautiful to be stained by subs.
Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars licensed by Media Blasters- If it sells well enough it could persuade Media Blasters to nab SRW: The Inspector.

The only company that needs to dub these two shows are the NYAV Post because more anime need to be outsourced to New York and dubbed there, they haven't been getting too much outsourced dub work lately, lest I be wrong.

My Otome Sifr.0 wasn't given a dub by Bandai Entertainment, but now Funimation has rescued the whole My-Hime project and they have the finances to dub Sifr.0

Plus, Valvrave and SRW OG Divine Wars would be great additions to Toonami's library, if they get dubbed.
SwatKat1990Mar 27, 2014 1:00 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2014 1:27 PM

Jul 2010
Oh, I know a LOT of anime that are licensed and need dubs.

Bunny Drop
AnoHana
Natsume Yuujinchou
Hanasaku Iroha
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
Tales of the Abyss
Tanoshii Moomin Ikka (Yes, I know it already has a dub, but it's a British one, and this thread is about American dubs, so I'm throwing it in here)
Nagi no Asukara
Kill la Kill
Mar 27, 2014 2:54 PM

Aug 2008
The anime adaptation of Danganronpa sorely needs an English dub, with the original game cast reprising their roles, of course.

While we're on the topic of NISA licenses, Persona: Trinity Soul, if only so we can get Liam O'Brien as Akihiko Sanada once more (even if Akihiko's role there is just a cameo).
Mar 27, 2014 3:15 PM

Dec 2009
Firechick12012 said:
Kill la Kill

No need to worry about that one, I'm sure.
Mar 28, 2014 10:41 AM

Mar 2012
Firechick12012 said:
Hanasaku Iroha
Can't agree with this one more. If NIS dubbing anime becomes a regular thing then this would be the first show I'd like to see a dub of
Mar 28, 2014 10:44 AM

Aug 2012
Firechick12012 said:
Nagi no Asukara
I hope NIS gets into the dubbing game with this.
Mar 29, 2014 6:37 AM

Mar 2014
Star Driver needs a dub and it's licensed by Aniplex USA, NYAV Post needs to dub it because once again New York needs more outsourced dub work and Star Driver is way too beautiful to have subs stain the screen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2014 12:50 AM

Jun 2013
Nisekoi when it finishes airing needs to be dubbed. I want to see how they pull it off since from what little of episodes I've seen I think it could make a great dub.
Apr 1, 2014 7:54 AM

Aug 2012
^ I know, compared to Akiyuki Shinbo's other works (namely, Monogatari), Nisekoi is so freaking easy to dub because it's a simple romantic comedy without any of that abstract crap. The question now is, will Aniplex of America think it's profitable?
Apr 1, 2014 3:47 PM

Jun 2013
gamer2710 said:
^ I know, compared to Akiyuki Shinbo's other works (namely, Monogatari), Nisekoi is so freaking easy to dub because it's a simple romantic comedy without any of that abstract crap. The question now is, will Aniplex of America think it's profitable?
Seeing as it's also one of the best selling manga, I don't think it would have a problem selling because it's so popular as it is already. It should be plenty profitable. Especially a dub of the series because i'm sure a lot of people, including myself, would love to see a dub given that it could sell pretty darn well over here in the states. Aniplex just needs to create a quality dub, and not make their damn shit so overpriced that it's unaffordable. I'd say 30-40 buck for the entire series should be good enough, and hopefully they sell it in a boxset instead of volumes because 40 bucks per volume is ridiculous. And to wonder why half of their stuff doesn't sell well. Turn it into a boxset that sells for 40 bucks and it'll be greatly profitable and affordable.
Apr 1, 2014 9:08 PM

Aug 2012
Kyouma-Hououin said:
Aniplex just needs to create a quality dub, and not make their damn shit so overpriced that it's unaffordable. I'd say 30-40 buck for the entire series should be good enough, and hopefully they sell it in a boxset instead of volumes because 40 bucks per volume is ridiculous.
You have a better chance getting struck by lightning than this happening.
Apr 2, 2014 2:39 AM

Jun 2013
gamer2710 said:
Kyouma-Hououin said:
Aniplex just needs to create a quality dub, and not make their damn shit so overpriced that it's unaffordable. I'd say 30-40 buck for the entire series should be good enough, and hopefully they sell it in a boxset instead of volumes because 40 bucks per volume is ridiculous.
You have a better chance getting struck by lightning than this happening.
And to wonder why people torrent their anime, ha.
Apr 4, 2014 10:25 AM
Nov 2013
I have one word for you:

Demonbane
Apr 4, 2014 11:22 AM
Apr 6, 2014 1:53 PM

Oct 2013
Lupin III Part 1. Cmon discotek start dubbing shows
AnoHana. NIS your doing toradora, now do Anohana
Rainbow
When they cry season 2 (no is not license now but I still hope that sentai rescues the license and dubs s2
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.