Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 19, 2013 1:12 AM

Aug 2008
I mean it's kinda strange to include her as she really doesn't seem to serve much a point anymore other than being there to make the fans happy. Since the movie series is only really about Shinji and only Shinji it just seems to keep her in. In the TV series and manga she has a significant impact on Shinji's life (as well as being a full character of her own) but here both of those are not true.

It just seems strange because Misato is here to be Shinji's first real connection and proved to him he's not alone, Touji is here to give Shinji a sense of responsibility and be his first (normal) friend, Rei is here because she's the first connection that Shinji actually established by himself, Gendou is here because he's the connection that Shinji actively seeks out but can never get, and Kaworu is here because he personifies the perfect connection for him.

However since changing Asuka's character completely in the movie...she literally has no place in the story and seems to be redundant (obviously Mari is as well). She has no real connection with Shinji other than fellow Eva pilot so uhhh not sure what they were going for. I suppose that because she's so popular they couldn't very well leave her out but it just seems like shes thrown in here with no thought put into her character to me.
May 19, 2013 1:20 AM

Nov 2011
Fanservice. Same with Mari.
The Art of Eight
May 19, 2013 1:26 AM

Apr 2012
To me she's the same as in the series: because she's like an equal to Shinji, she's the love interest and represents a purer form of alterity than all the relations you listed (Rei and Kaworu intertwining oedipian and homosexual aspects). So movies without her would be incomplete. Not to mention all the plot inconsistencies. Don't forget Rebuild isn't finished yet.
May 19, 2013 2:52 AM

Aug 2008
EratiK said:
To me she's the same as in the series: because she's like an equal to Shinji, she's the love interest and represents a purer form of alterity than all the relations you listed (Rei and Kaworu intertwining oedipian and homosexual aspects). So movies without her would be incomplete. Not to mention all the plot inconsistencies. Don't forget Rebuild isn't finished yet.

Well the point of Asuka in the series was to serve as an equal and a point of rejection for Shinji's need to be accepted. This is different form Gendou who is just plain indifferent to Shinji,

However in the movies she's not really an equal, she hasn't been explored thoroughly and lacks the psychological problems (taking out her inferiority complex pretty much ruins this). Plus they could have just used Touji for this if they wanted to and made him the EVA pilot if that was their aim as Rei has taken the love interest spot.

Not sure what you mean buy plot inconsistencies as this isn't the same as the TV series anyway. Rebuild isn't finished but considering all 3 movies have only had a focus on Shinji really, I doubt anything will change in the 4th one (possible but doubtful).
May 19, 2013 9:37 AM

Apr 2012
I doubt Rei is really a love interest, she's more of a female friend, or a damsel in distress. I guess that's where our appreciation differs.

Plot inconsistencies appear if you consider Rebuilds to be happening after EoE. One constant theme in Rebuilds is how will often changed things for the better (compared to the series). In the series, you'll notice Asuka wanted to pilot Eva 03, and Touji didn't. Surprise, this is what happens in Rebuild. Removing Asuka from here would weaken the overarching structure.

You'll notice Mari is singing and joking all the time. She adds a layer of playfulness, a dimension that was absent from the angsty series. Which I think is for a reason. To me she's more than just fan service. I don't feel she's overlapping with anything.
EratiKMay 19, 2013 9:47 AM
May 19, 2013 1:43 PM

Aug 2008
Well if this does take place after EoE, then I guess I could see that if they are really going in that direction. Not sure what the point of that would be though but I guess we'll wait and see.
May 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Jun 2007
I'd say that'd the case for Mari more than Asuka.

Asuka might be kind of pointless but she's still serving a role and also is an original main character in the series so it's kind of necessary.

Mari serves absolutely no fucking purpose and is literally only there to make new merchandise opportunities and to sell her rather lackluster body.
May 27, 2013 12:21 PM

Aug 2008
Ok after thinking over it, I think I've finally figured out her point. She's the connection who wants Shinji to grow and be a better man (Same as the original series but it's harder to see).

Basically she symbolizes the audience. She's who we would want to be (more so in the original). Tough, charming and confident and wants to keep growing and moving forward. While Shinji symbolizes who the audience probably would be but doesn't want to be. But hey we want to like the main character and we want him to get better if he can, which is kinda what she shows in this movie (more so in 3.0).

Hence why she's so mad in 3.0, because she wants him to be better but she probably is ordered to not tell him anything. Thus you see a lot of disappointment from her to him, but she still tries to give him a chance at the end of the movie.

I'll be interested to see how 4.0 plays around with the concept. Of course I could totally be off base here.
Aug 15, 2013 11:15 AM

Jan 2013
I don't know why but i like this asuka,she's different from that we used to know.
She just looks better this way,i don't like her as a bad person,not bad,but you know what i mean (that asuka from the original anime).
I like her this way,and also rei too.
Great anime and great movie remake :D
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 27, 2009

563 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 4:15 PM

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.