Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 18, 2013 11:30 PM
Mar 2012
Censorship all over the place, still an excellent episode, I just want to see the fights already. I always found gyro's story meh, it could have been done better
And why does kaito ask them to accompagny him, and so far they are still not very close either
ShadugeMay 18, 2013 11:37 PM
May 18, 2013 11:39 PM
Oct 2011
My reaction when I read Hunter Association

Just come already goddamit!

I thought the flashback isn't where it should've been, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Madhouse did a pretty good job on it, and it seems they won't cut out all the narrating in the 2nd half? Dunno how it'd be in anime form, since they're not flashbacks, but guess we'll see.

Still going slow, although this time no fillers. I didn't like this part in the manga much, but it was better and more enjoyable in here.
Candor123May 18, 2013 11:44 PM
May 18, 2013 11:56 PM

Mar 2012
Ponzu!!! ;_ ;
I knew she is going to died from the manga.
But not this brutally ><
Was so hard to watch that part
May 19, 2013 12:05 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode. The Gyro flashback was magnificent. "The universe doesn't give a damn about me". Powerful stuff, the narration was really well done. I had a feeling Ponzu and the others would be screwed, but damn. The ant shot her over and over. I like that none of this was explicitly shown, but was still very brutal anyway. You can definitely tell Madhouse knows exactly what they are doing.

I'm considering the idea that Gyro will be the basis for the king.

Ston3_FreeN7May 19, 2013 12:11 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 19, 2013 12:10 AM

Feb 2012
egnaro315 said:
So Ponzu was eaten. I thought she was just shot when I read the manga.

in the manga its even more obvious, you see her guts and body parts flying when that ant munch on her
May 19, 2013 12:26 AM

Jan 2011
Damn not Ponzu even though she wasnt a big character that one hurt
May 19, 2013 1:19 AM
Nov 2008
One of the parts where one can see the other true:
Togashi doesn't give a damn about side-characters
May 19, 2013 1:28 AM

Dec 2012
WTF? They ruined Hunter x Hunter.. Ponzu brutally killed WTF?!!!

May 19, 2013 1:32 AM

Jul 2012
Noooooo! Ponzuuu! I thought she was gonna escape, then boom! :(
May 19, 2013 1:34 AM

Nov 2009
And how Toriko which airs 2 hours earlier has to be so child friendly is beyond me. The manga is one of the most violent in jump.
SHONEN ANIME FTW
May 19, 2013 1:34 AM

Jan 2011
I need an adult ;_; someone take me to the border i want out of here!(no supporting characters are safe )

So how important is this Gyro guy i don't think they setup such a backstory just for him to die soon.
May 19, 2013 1:45 AM

Feb 2012
katsu044 said:
I need an adult ;_; someone take me to the border i want out of here!(no supporting characters are safe )

So how important is this Gyro guy i don't think they setup such a backstory just for him to die soon.

But haven't you notice colt has his former human life's memory? Some deaths might not be final after all...
May 19, 2013 1:50 AM

Jan 2011
^ what Kite said at the end is starting to make sense now...oh boy.
May 19, 2013 1:53 AM

May 2013
Damn you Pokkle,. it's your fault that Ponzu died ..

Ponzuuuuuuu :(
May 19, 2013 2:07 AM

Nov 2012
This is probably the most depressing episode so far...
"The universe doesn't give a damn about me"
Then Ponzu is killed...
Shouldn't have watched this right after Attack on Titan :S

5/5 This episode shows once again that despite censorship an episode can be just as impactful. Can't wait for Zazan's mini-arc, if you know what I mean.
May 19, 2013 2:28 AM

Oct 2012
I really hated when Ponzu and the crew were killed in the maga, it was so brutal. This anime is one of the best adaptions out there, the soundtrack is so fitting.
May 19, 2013 2:58 AM

Jan 2011
aakaido said:
Honestly, I liked and disliked this episode. Been watching Shingeki no Kyojin so I'm kinda used to brutal, gory scenes now, but was soooo no expecting Hunter x Hunter to go in this direction. I was a little disturbed watching this episode because the show's been kinda kiddy (not in a bad way at all) since the beginning. I've been noticing that the show has slowly increased the violence/blood but this was a huge jump in my opinion. Think I would've been alright with it until I saw Ponzo's death. That was alot. She was my favorite female character and I just knew she was getting away :(

The flashback in the beginning was a nice touch, though. I was directed better than most movies. That being said, can't wait for the next episode lol. Just really hope it isn't as dark and depressing as this episode. Wasn't expecting this at all!!!

I know what you mean! Just when I was like "man this show is all happy happy, when are Hisoka and the Spiders gonna come back?"... then they pull this ish... I mean not like I liked Ponzu that much but damn... ;__;
Joudan janai wa yo~!
May 19, 2013 3:03 AM

Sep 2010
Yosh! As a fan who did not read the manga, I am checking the parallel chapters after watching, and I can say nice adaptation at Ponzu and Pokkle getting annihilated. Maybe Pokkle might run away? Not so possible I guess O_O
May 19, 2013 3:04 AM

Mar 2013
Wow, fuck that noise. Despite having not read the manga I'd already figured that Pokkle and Ponzu were going to die [and serve to wet the chimera ant's appetite for nen], but not by fucking chumps like those guys. I mean, really? She could've at least been killed by the mafia koala or the lizard-centaur.

Goddammit, I'm definitely going to have to murder a few spiders, salamanders, and whatever the fuck the prostitute looking one is to quell my rage.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
May 19, 2013 3:55 AM

Jun 2011
Ah, just as disturbing as the manga. I really like how HxH starts out as a seemingly innocent shounen adventure, and then it just keeps getting darker and darker.
May 19, 2013 4:10 AM

Dec 2009
This episode. Well done, Madhouse ;-;
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 19, 2013 4:12 AM
Apr 2011
kchorrex2012 said:
Then Ponzu is killed...

5/5 This episode shows once again that despite censorship an episode can be just as impactful. Can't wait for Zazan's mini-arc, if you know what I mean.

I did the exact same thing, watched the most awesome episode of attack on titan i have seen so far and then HxH and was hit with more shocking scenes. How could they do that to Ponzu, After she didn't die during the hunter exam i thought we would be seeing her again, and then when she reappeared in this current arc i was happy, but now i wish she never appeared again. then she wouldn't have had to die like that.
May 19, 2013 5:05 AM

Feb 2013
Evil x and x Terrible? with a title like that, something horrible HAD to go down, and that really means something for this arc.

but seriously, why did she have to die?

mfw Ponzu is kill:

she doesn't even get to be an ant....
gedataMar 5, 2015 5:35 PM
May 19, 2013 5:16 AM

Jun 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PONZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

I know this is coming but.. Omg :( ;_;

Man, this is why Chimera Ant arc is amazing.
May 19, 2013 6:10 AM
Sep 2011
Ponzu died. Honestly she was kind of useless. Heck I barely remember her or Pokkle since they were both fairly minor in the Hunter Exam. The two are defanitly the weakest Hunters to date though since they both barely had any powers and went down without much of a fight, plus Pokkle was really dumb letting himself get caught off guard like that considering how well aware the other Hunters in the show have been. Plus Ponzu was so weak she got beaten by just a regular average Joe chimera ant, which was really pathetic. I really don't care that much, I'm sorry.
On a side no it is totally Killua's fault that Ponzu died. If he hadn't killed that old dude then Ponzu would have lost the tournament in the Hunter Exam since she has no fighting prowess, and that means she would never would have learned Nen and teamed up with Pokkle to go to NGL.

What I did enjoy thugh was the first half of the episode, Gyro's flashback was incredibly well done, if not incredibly pointless considering that the show implied that he is dead already. But who knows maybe he'll come back as the Chimera ant king or something like that.
edl01May 19, 2013 6:13 AM
May 19, 2013 6:14 AM

Jul 2012
Man. . . Ponzu should have at least lived...

*sad face*
May 19, 2013 6:20 AM
Sep 2011
Man I don't believe the couple died first! This is such a massive plot twist!!!!
May 19, 2013 9:23 AM

Mar 2013
so Gyro got eaten by the ants or what ???
May 19, 2013 9:34 AM

Aug 2010
Great episode. I really liked Gyro's flashback and I hope he plays an important role later in the series. Looks like Gon, Killua and Kite have arrived. Looking forward to see how they deal with the chimera ants.

5/5
May 19, 2013 9:35 AM
Jun 2010
AdeizaSama said:
aakaido said:
Honestly, I liked and disliked this episode. Been watching Shingeki no Kyojin so I'm kinda used to brutal, gory scenes now, but was soooo no expecting Hunter x Hunter to go in this direction. I was a little disturbed watching this episode because the show's been kinda kiddy (not in a bad way at all) since the beginning. I've been noticing that the show has slowly increased the violence/blood but this was a huge jump in my opinion. Think I would've been alright with it until I saw Ponzo's death. That was alot. She was my favorite female character and I just knew she was getting away :(

The flashback in the beginning was a nice touch, though. I was directed better than most movies. That being said, can't wait for the next episode lol. Just really hope it isn't as dark and depressing as this episode. Wasn't expecting this at all!!!

I know what you mean! Just when I was like "man this show is all happy happy, when are Hisoka and the Spiders gonna come back?"... then they pull this ish... I mean not like I liked Ponzu that much but damn... ;__;

I know right! They did her bad. She didn't even get a chance to fight. I think that's what pissed me off the most. Unsuspecting head shot ended it all...

slasher000 said:
kchorrex2012 said:
Then Ponzu is killed...

I did the exact same thing, watched the most awesome episode of attack on titan i have seen so far and then HxH and was hit with more shocking scenes. How could they do that to Ponzu, After she didn't die during the hunter exam i thought we would be seeing her again, and then when she reappeared in this current arc i was happy, but now i wish she never appeared again. then she wouldn't have had to die like that.

I think we all watched Attack on Titan before this episode. Made Hunter's episode much more horrific
May 19, 2013 9:37 AM

Feb 2008
MCAL said:
Brutal Hunter x Hunter is brutal. Surpassed Yorkshin in brutality by a mile.

And the shit hasn't even hit the fan!
May 19, 2013 9:39 AM
Jul 2012
Are people really complaining that the gore in this show is too much for them? Stop being so pussy, just drop the show.
May 19, 2013 9:52 AM

Feb 2009
No fucking mercy... and I like that. Madhouse is doing justice to this arc, they have done a wonderful job capturing the violence and suspense of the manga. This arc is simply too amazing.

lol btw every time I hear the words Gyro, I only think of the greek pita wrap.

Mod Edit: Removed spoiler.
LunaMay 19, 2013 12:46 PM
May 19, 2013 9:53 AM

Sep 2012
One word: EPIC. Seriously, I think it's even better than when I read it, Madhouse sure knows what they are doing with it.

lightline said:
so Gyro got eaten by the ants or what ???

They took him to the Queen, he will most likely get eaten by her.
May 19, 2013 9:56 AM

Nov 2009
Shit son, I wanna kiss every single person working for Madhouse. Every episode is amazing from beginning to end! Good, good. Loved the way they did Gyro's flashback.
Gon and Killua are appearing each time less, but that'll be something normal throughout the arc... can't say I like it, but it's definitely well written.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
May 19, 2013 10:02 AM

Jun 2011
edl01 said:
Ponzu died. Honestly she was kind of useless. Heck I barely remember her or Pokkle since they were both fairly minor in the Hunter Exam. The two are defanitly the weakest Hunters to date though since they both barely had any powers and went down without much of a fight, plus Pokkle was really dumb letting himself get caught off guard like that considering how well aware the other Hunters in the show have been. Plus Ponzu was so weak she got beaten by just a regular average Joe chimera ant, which was really pathetic. I really don't care that much, I'm sorry.
On a side no it is totally Killua's fault that Ponzu died. If he hadn't killed that old dude then Ponzu would have lost the tournament in the Hunter Exam since she has no fighting prowess, and that means she would never would have learned Nen and teamed up with Pokkle to go to NGL.

What I did enjoy thugh was the first half of the episode, Gyro's flashback was incredibly well done, if not incredibly pointless considering that the show implied that he is dead already. But who knows maybe he'll come back as the Chimera ant king or something like that.

umm Ponzu never became a hunter. She got trapped in the cave and Gon carried her out when she was unconscious, remember? so she never advanced
May 19, 2013 10:10 AM

Mar 2013
FUCKKKKKK,That was an awesome episode,the ant that killed ponzu always creeps me out shiver-.I also always have wondered how the guy with white hair in pokkle's group screamed after being decapitated..

Mod Edit: Removed spoiler.
LunaMay 19, 2013 12:38 PM
May 19, 2013 11:06 AM

Jun 2008
This was sickening to watch but extremely entertaining at the same time.
May 19, 2013 11:45 AM
Oct 2009
i am sorry people saying that it is a non-filler episode, and people saying how good the gyro flash back was.... my question is: was there filler episodes in the series, and is gyro supposed to be important main character in the manga or is it a filler?
if you feel you will spoil something don't answer :D
May 19, 2013 11:56 AM

Feb 2012
XnplmX said:
i am sorry people saying that it is a non-filler episode, and people saying how good the gyro flash back was.... my question is: was there filler episodes in the series, and is gyro supposed to be important main character in the manga or is it a filler?
if you feel you will spoil something don't answer :D

The Gyro story took up a whole chapter itself in the manga. I won't spoil it but when it appears in the manga, it was a surprise to everyone. It was completely Out of the blue, WTF and genius at the same time...so no one thinks of it as filler. It was just...Togashi being Togashi. I personally LOVE it in the manga. It felt like we got a stand alone short story (where Togashi is really good at). There are a 2nd part of this story that is not in the anime yet. Id say the story is more like part of the ongoing themes Togashi wanted to explore in this arc, and setting up of something bigger of what might and might not happen in the future (again there's a second part of this story where its has a line that's very puzzling and readers are still scratching their head about it.)
May 19, 2013 1:09 PM

Nov 2012
Damn a giant ant picks up a 9MM shoots and underaged girl in the head then eats her. The type of shit that goes down in this anime is unheard of.
May 19, 2013 1:32 PM
Apr 2013
Sick feeling. Maybe i wouldn't feel too bad if the f-er didn't go brutal all over ponzu. Background looking monsters should stay a background.
Not an active forum participant. Just episodes I feel strongly about gets posted on.
May 19, 2013 1:35 PM

Feb 2011
I don't see why there's so much complaining over the gore :D
It's a bit much, but not enough for me to cry over.
That ant soldier's face when he killed her. Priceless.
May 19, 2013 2:38 PM

Mar 2009
I still can't believe this airs early Saturday mornings.

This episode: Abuse. Negligence. Patricide. Horrible killings. A young girl getting eaten by a monster.
Hunter x Hunter: A show for children! ^__^

That aside, the Gyro flashback came out of nowhere. It felt very unorthodox, but somehow still worked.
Poor Ponzu. Did you see Gon's face at the end? Oh boy, we all know that you should never piss him off.
May 19, 2013 3:06 PM

Apr 2013
I just fucking love this show.
May 19, 2013 3:13 PM

Mar 2012
JavierR said:
Are people really complaining that the gore in this show is too much for them? Stop being so pussy, just drop the show.

Being shock is not the same as hating and complaining about the episode.
Have it not occur to you that people calling this episode very brutal is a compliment?
Honestly, I don't see one post complaining in this thread.
May 19, 2013 3:16 PM

Apr 2013
leeo268 said:
JavierR said:

Being shock is not the same as hating and complaining about it.
Have it not occur to you that people calling this episode very brutal is a compliment?
Honestly, I don't see one post complaining in this thread.

I can see how some of the posts can be misconstrued as complaining, but I agree with you. Some people just weren't expecting it :P
May 19, 2013 4:06 PM

Apr 2012
Man....
I am seriously shocked by this episode.
I havent read the manga (purposely been avoiding it), so I didnt see this coming, even though people have on this forum have been advocating this arc to be very violent.

When I saw they introduced the 'old' character including Ponzu I expected them to have some impact on the storyline, and not to be chimera fodder and food.

Even though I have seen some pretty grim anime's, this still shocked me, especially how easily Ponzu got disposed off.

Nonetheless amazing episode 10/10!!!!

Can't wait for next week, even more so than normal for HxH, and that says something
May 19, 2013 4:32 PM

Jan 2008
Oh fuck, Ponzu died. Wasn't expecting that.
May 19, 2013 4:38 PM

Oct 2011
That was a powerful back story for Gyro. How he was being used and his dad didn't care about him.

I can' believe Ponzu died. I wasn't expecting it so soon. Then she got eaten after multiple shot. Even if it was censored it was disturbing nonetheless. Polke admirable fending off the Ants but now he is Chimera food TwT

Damn the Ants are gonna learn about Nen.

Gon, KIllua and Kaito will fight some Chimera Ants next time.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

62 by omorashi »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.