Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for a truly intelligent, thought-provoking anime. Cannot seem to find it in the sea of mediocrity that is today's selection.

New
May 15, 2013 11:01 AM

May 2011
I really enjoy animes that are, like I mentioned, thought-provoking and intelligent (I will provide some examples of shows that I think fit this description later). More specifically, I like them to have philosophical and/or psychological undertones, but those aren't entirely necessary. Fortunately I have found a number of great shows over the years, but lately I have been having trouble finding any that are worth watching.

I'm fine with violence, romance, sex, action, etc. but those aren't really what I'm after.

Comedy is welcomed but also not needed. I really want something that is mentally stimulating more than anything else.

Also, if you mention Death Note, I will find you, and I will hurt you. Yes, I haven't seen the whole show, but I've seen enough of it to know that it's over-hyped and I cannot for the life of me understand what it's mass appeal is (same for shows like Bleach, but I digress). I'm not saying it's a terrible show, but it's not a "smart" show like people claim it is, and Google shouldn't be flooded with the words "Death Note" when you search for smart animes. The same goes for Steins Gate. I liked Steins Gate just fine, but it's not a terribly intelligent show.

My two anime foundations are Serial Experiments: Lain and Neon Genesis Evangelion (show and original movies, not so much the first two remake movies). I consider both of these titles to be truly worthy of being called intelligent shows because it's an actual challenge to fully grasp the psychological and moral complexities that reside therein. Another show that I really enjoyed and thought was very intelligent (though the ending did kind of leave a little to be desired) is Shinsekai Yori. This is one of the very few shows that have been made recently that isn't simply mediocre.

That's not to make it seem like all I like are terribly serious animes like Lain. One of my all time favorite shows is Trigun for its wonderful balance of comedy, action, and existentialistic moral dilemmas. I am mainly looking for recommendations for the smarter, more serious shows, but suggestions for good shows like Trigun can be thrown in as well.

And, last but not least, I don't mind reading subtitles, so sub-only shows are fine.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 15, 2013 11:03 AM

Oct 2012
Death note

Monster
May 15, 2013 11:06 AM

Jun 2011
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
May 15, 2013 11:09 AM

Jul 2012
Psycho-Pass
Fate/Zero
Death Billiards fits the bill though it's only one episode.
Num1dad_AsuraMay 15, 2013 11:30 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 15, 2013 11:11 AM

Oct 2012
Happy 2nd MAL birthday.

Smirking said:

"Why did he have to surrender, what is more in the outside world, huh, sumptuousness, freedom? Nowhere in the world are you going to find them fools! Fools!" -USSR president, Future War 198X-nen
May 15, 2013 11:15 AM

May 2011
Thanks, though today is the first time I've been on here in, oh, about two years XP.
NMeisterMay 15, 2013 4:41 PM
May 15, 2013 11:21 AM

Oct 2012
I also recommend Casshern Sins, Texhnolyze & Jin-Roh.

They have philosophical, psychological and/or political undertones.
Along with LoGH & NGE, that's my complete anime favourites list.

"Why did he have to surrender, what is more in the outside world, huh, sumptuousness, freedom? Nowhere in the world are you going to find them fools! Fools!" -USSR president, Future War 198X-nen
May 15, 2013 11:22 AM

Apr 2013
Texhnolyze - not as "smart" as NGE but ten times smarter than Death Note.
May 15, 2013 11:27 AM

Sep 2012
Shinsekai Yori Damn.
Kino no Tabi
Monster
Psycho-Pass
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
May 15, 2013 11:29 AM

Jun 2009
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2013 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
Litrydow said:

Psycho-Pass

May 15, 2013 11:35 AM

Oct 2012
I've got you covered NMeister, as I LOVE this type anime myself!

-Ergo Proxy, as you go on a little journey to 'find' yourself and in relation to others. I'm certain you'll find some value out of this. Offers a lot of things under the surface as well.

-Mawaru Penguindrum, there is simply loads of symbolism provided to really feel thought-provoking.

-Revolutionary Girl Utena, offers something similar to Penguindrum, but moreeee in depth than Penguindrum would cover.

-Ghost in the Shell (movie), presents an intriguing concept about what it means to be human and how can you really discern from the human identity from the cyber/crafted part of life. Not to mention THIS influenced The Matrix

-Texhnolyze, a really serious take on a grim society, and it's really worth it to stick with it until the very end.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 15, 2013 11:37 AM

Apr 2013
Also I actually did a similar thread like this yesterday, you should check out Revolutionary Girl Utena, Aoi Bungaku Series, Kuuchuu Buranko.
May 15, 2013 11:52 AM

Dec 2012
Ghost In The Shell
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
May 15, 2013 11:58 AM

Oct 2012
Monster
Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent
Kaiji
May 15, 2013 12:13 PM

Oct 2008
You see... I don't consider thought-provoking to be analogous with intelligent. I believe an anime can be one without being the other. I've always said that Death Note might be the most thought-provoking anime I've seen. But it probably lacks some of the sophistication of a more intelligent anime like... well... whatever... let's say Serial Experiment Lain, which I did not find thought-provoking, as intelligent as it may very well be. I even believe something can be intelligent and lack maturity... see FLCL.

Therefore, I'm going to list anime with mature themes.

Mushishi
Monster
Ghost in the Shell
and just about anything Ghibli

Vanisher said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7785/Yojouhan_Shinwa_Taikei

I'll second this.
n10sityMay 15, 2013 12:30 PM
May 15, 2013 12:43 PM

Apr 2013
Cool title man I know how you feel bro I try so hard to find intelligent anime. Don't worry I got your back bro.

Try these thought provoking and philosophical anime :
Sword art online
One piece
Lucky☆Star
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Sekirei
Plastic Nee-san
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Have fun bro and oh
May 15, 2013 12:46 PM

May 2013
Maor said:
Death note

Arararraragi-kun said:

Lucky☆Star

seconded
"I hate all of you." - Squidward
May 15, 2013 12:49 PM

Feb 2013
Mawaru Penguindrum
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Hyouka
May 15, 2013 12:53 PM

Nov 2011
AirStyles said:
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

This. Other anime is shit.
The Art of Eight
May 15, 2013 12:55 PM

Mar 2012
Here are some shows I found appealing hopefully you'll find the enjoyment that I did, some take a lot more thought than others:

Kurozuka (this is one that not a lot really understood, and continue to misunderstand, a beautifully done anime that really makes you think and want to re-watch to see if you missed anything)

Aoi Bungaku Series (a more serious series)

Pet shop of horrors (I absolutely loved this anime and the overall experience it offers. It realistically portrays humans and their selfish desires as well as other components)

Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror (another I completely enjoyed)

Shigurui (a detailed look at betrayal, and status. Leads to a very interesting anime.)
lovelydeathMay 15, 2013 1:20 PM
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
May 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Nov 2011
Smirking said:

Thirding this.
May 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Cool title man I know how you feel bro I try so hard to find intelligent anime. Don't worry I got your back bro.

Sword art online
One piece
Lucky☆Star
Sekirei
Plastic Nee-san

Have fun bro and oh

Of all the times you priase Bakemonogatari for being genuine because of its witty dialogue, I'm rather surprised you threw together that kind of post...

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 15, 2013 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
Tavor said:
Of all the times you priase Bakemonogatari for being genuine because of its witty dialogue, I'm rather surprised you threw together that kind of post...

I just got annoyed by his title '' Sea of mediocrity''. I don't think heavy witty dialogue and a show that focus more on character interactions than plot is what he is looking for, plus that admin of your club might get on my back and say ['pffftt that's just a derpy and a misogynistic harem I would know because I only saw 2 episodes and I can predict the rest of it and it is made by SHAFT and that's a huge no no hurr hurr ].

Wanted to add Mawaru Penguindrum to that lovely list but I forgot (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Penguindrum is good and maybe thought provoking but it's hardly intelligent
May 15, 2013 1:34 PM
Aug 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Mawaru Penguindrum

+4
May 15, 2013 1:38 PM

May 2012
Thirding Monster.
Also, watch everything Ghost in the Shell related.
May 15, 2013 1:38 PM

Oct 2012
NMeister said:
Also, if you mention Death Note, I will find you, and I will go bagoofuuu crazy on you

JTricks said:

Death note

GG.
May 15, 2013 1:54 PM

Oct 2010
Death Note
Legend Of The Galactic Heroes
Steins ; Gate
May 15, 2013 1:58 PM

Oct 2010
As others have mentioned, Texhnolyze and Ergo Proxy are a good place to start.
May 15, 2013 2:13 PM

Nov 2011
Arararraragi-kun said:
Tavor said:

I just got annoyed by his title '' Sea of mediocrity''. I don't think heavy witty dialogue and a show that focus more on character interactions than plot is what he is looking for, plus that admin of your club might get on my back and say ['pffftt that's just a derpy and a misogynistic harem I would know because I only saw 2 episodes and I can predict the rest of it and it is made by SHAFT and that's a huge no no hurr hurr ].

Wanted to add Mawaru Penguindrum to that lovely list but I forgot (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Penguindrum is good and maybe thought provoking but it's hardly intelligent

I actually have recomended Baken to people, believe it or not. I have even reccommended Mirai Nikki, Elfen Lied, SAO and Higurashi (the four series I hate the most) to people when it's obviously something they will like. I have done so for Clannad as well as other series I really don't like.

Believe it or not, people are capable of reccommending series they hate to people they know will like them. Considering the OP is male he might very well like Baken. I never said the series was BAD. It's just not a series that should be suggested to most females, especially those who prefer shoujo.

Oh and thirding/fourthing/whatever Revolutionary Girl Utena
AmberlehMay 15, 2013 2:31 PM
May 15, 2013 2:28 PM

Jul 2012
Ghost Hound.
Seconding? Casshern Sins.
Seconding? Revolutionary Girl Utena
Arararraragi-kun said:

Sword art online
One piece
Lucky☆Star
Sekirei
Plastic Nee-san

Have fun bro and oh

I lol'd.
May 15, 2013 3:05 PM

Dec 2012
RahXephon
May 15, 2013 4:01 PM

Dec 2011
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Monster
Master Keaton
Kemono no Souja Erin
Haibana Renmei
Mononoke
Kaiba
The Tatami Galaxy

Perhaps you might look back further at some of the classics?

Rose of Versailles
Ashita no Joe
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2013 4:14 PM

Jan 2012
ignore everything else people mentioned
and watch Zetsuen no Tempest
May 15, 2013 4:18 PM

Jun 2011
renders said:

I hope that was a joke.
May 15, 2013 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
Smh @ people saying psycho-pass. So using a recycled sci fi plot from the 1980s and adding cliche characters is intelligence now?
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 15, 2013 4:24 PM

Sep 2012
kinos journey
May 15, 2013 4:33 PM

Jan 2012
Smirking said:
renders said:

I hope that was a joke.

I hope people that mention psycho pass are joking
May 15, 2013 4:38 PM
Jan 2013
I think these have been mentioned
Psycho-pass
Hyouka

More subjective opinion, so don't kill me please internets:
Summer Wars (movie)- story about family and global identity through technology. For smiles.
Welcome to the NHK- it's a pretty good commentary and parody of its subject matter, with a rather serious edge
Durarara!!- the story as a whole, without giving too much away, is very intelligent and well written. But I can't say more without spoiling
Jyu Oh Sei- reflective of human adaption and survival instincts.
anohana- I think this anime is beautiful and very thought-provoking. Look up reaction vids on youtube. If you're ever in the mood for like a catharsis moment, watch this.
Code Geass- I can't remember if you said no mech or f*** cg or anything about it because you said no death note, so i will assume this is a no no, but (as i said in another post sort of as a half serious joke) it's a commentary on national identity, human identity, and colonization.

Airing now:
Shingeki no Kyojin- it's more than just amazing shounen sequences. It gets you to think about a lot. Just watch the first two episodes, you'll get it
Suisei no Gargantia- Some people may disagree with me, I can't tell how well this is received, but I think this is a really smart show. Fanservice aside, not my thing, the beautiful animation is only the cherry on top of a unique, thought provoking story and exploration about what it means to be human. I suggest checking it out.

Sorry if anything isn't to your liking =(
May 15, 2013 4:42 PM

Oct 2007
i would've said shinsekai yori but since you have already seen it i would recommend to check Princess Tutu and Ashita no Nadja. both have incredibly complex story, characters, writing and directing.
forum avatar: Sukisho
profile avatar: Ashita no Nadja
May 15, 2013 4:46 PM

Jun 2010
Hm, let's see.

Eve no Jikan
Inferno Cop
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Monster
Welcome to the NHK!
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei

...I should watch more thought-provoking anime.
May 15, 2013 4:49 PM

Apr 2013
ineedhelp said:

Hyouka

How the hell is Hyouka intelligent ? you need to watch more anime seriously.
May 15, 2013 4:50 PM

Jun 2011
ineedhelp said:
I think these have been mentioned
Psycho-pass
Hyouka

More subjective opinion, so don't kill me please internets:
Summer Wars (movie)- story about family and global identity through technology. For smiles.
Welcome to the NHK- it's a pretty good commentary and parody of its subject matter, with a rather serious edge
Durarara!!- the story as a whole, without giving too much away, is very intelligent and well written. But I can't say more without spoiling
Jyu Oh Sei- reflective of human adaption and survival instincts.
anohana- I think this anime is beautiful and very thought-provoking. Look up reaction vids on youtube. If you're ever in the mood for like a catharsis moment, watch this.
Code Geass- I can't remember if you said no mech or f*** cg or anything about it because you said no death note, so i will assume this is a no no, but (as i said in another post sort of as a half serious joke) it's a commentary on national identity, human identity, and colonization.

Airing now:
Shingeki no Kyojin- it's more than just amazing shounen sequences. It gets you to think about a lot. Just watch the first two episodes, you'll get it
Suisei no Gargantia- Some people may disagree with me, I can't tell how well this is received, but I think this is a really smart show. Fanservice aside, not my thing, the beautiful animation is only the cherry on top of a unique, thought provoking story and exploration about what it means to be human. I suggest checking it out.

Sorry if anything isn't to your liking =(

I think you got something wrong here.
May 15, 2013 4:54 PM

Dec 2012
If you think psycho-pass is even remotely intelligent then you clearly need to read some Phillip K. Dick.

Smirking said:
I think you got something wrong here.

He got countless things wrong there. Code geass uses deus ex machina, diaboli ex machina, and plot holes to advance the story. Lelouch is supposed to be a genius, but he re-uses the same basic strategies and the only signs that he's intelligent at all are him being good at chess and magically knowing where the enemy will attack next.
PolyphemusMay 15, 2013 4:57 PM
May 15, 2013 4:57 PM

Dec 2011
3nvy said:
If you think psycho-pass is even remotely intelligent then you clearly need to read some Phillip K. Dick.

Please and thanks. Just cause good old Phil Dick is the god of scifi. Honestly though psycho-pass is a good little anime it's just not impressive intellectually.
May 15, 2013 4:59 PM
Jan 2013
and that's why i put a 'subjective' disclaimer on it. but nice to see that people still hate reading.
May 15, 2013 4:59 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah, it's alright. I just hate when people who only watch anime and ignore western media completely miss blatant rip-offs like that. It's not inventive, unique, original, or intelligent. It's just an ok anime.
May 15, 2013 5:00 PM

Dec 2012
ineedhelp said:
and that's why i put a 'subjective' disclaimer on it. but nice to see that people still hate reading.

Subjectively speaking, you have bad opinions.
May 15, 2013 5:02 PM
Jan 2013
Internet's a cut throat place (not a he)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - 28 minutes ago

0 by silversaint »»
28 minutes ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Today

6 by Skuletor »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

9 by r3v3l3v3l »»
8 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Today

8 by r3v3l3v3l »»
11 hours ago

» 「 𝜗℘ 𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐞/𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐚 𝐬𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝜗℘ 」(❀❛ ֊ ❛„)♡

RabbitS- - Apr 10

18 by Reina__ »»
Today, 7:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.