Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 23, 2013 6:56 PM

Mar 2011
Wasn't a that good movie, but it still helped me to understand Killua in Chimera Ant arc somehow.
And what with those "spoilers" at the end? lol
Dec 27, 2013 5:35 PM

Sep 2011
Jim_Heart said:
I don't like this movie, I do not want my loving Hunter X Hunter to be a shit shounen animes like Na*uto or One Pi*ce that make out a movie every year..
This story is full of inconsistency, it's not like HXH at all.. Made me don't want to watch the next movie(s) ...

The music of this movie is still good though.. And still there is some scene that could made me smile ...

Same here...

And I just saw the preview of the new movie and it feels like watching a regular nakama-powered shounen.
Dec 30, 2013 11:54 AM

Dec 2008
It was great to see everyone together again. It was good to see Hisoka again!! I've been missing him like crazy during this Chimera Ant arc.

Sent with Mal Updater
May 14, 2014 9:52 PM

Dec 2011
A mediocre movie from an objective point of view, but as a HxH fan, it was terrible.

Average plot. Fight scenes were sub-standard for HxH, which are more intense and usually involves a technical analysis of a stronger opponent. Main villain (already forgot his name) was mediocre. Hisoka and the Phantom Troupe appear and disappear like a deus ex machina. Half the script was pointless. Over-arching conflict was weak. Conflicts from the series, while interesting and useful to fuel the plot, did not have the same strength they have in the series... felt kinda insincere?

The animation and music was good. I liked seeing Kurapika's past animated, but did not include the entirety of his past. +1 for Pairo asking "was it fun?"
May 26, 2014 4:57 PM

May 2014
I enjoyed it a lot, the animation wasn't as on point as it could've been, but I really enjoyed it.
May 31, 2014 12:21 AM

Feb 2009
I did not like the movie much...

But I DID like that scene with Killua assassinating those guys in the beginning. Now that was Bad-Ass!
Jun 8, 2014 9:05 PM
Jun 2010
Most anime movies based on anime series suck. This included. I even felt like the characters weren't their usual selves. Only liked that they brought Kurapika's backstory into it, the old spider member, Killua's fears and the usage of eyes and that's probably just because it makes it seem somewhat more connected to the series. It's harder to take some anime movies seriously since they're just like one big filler often with characters we'll never see in the anime.

Lol, it was cute but a bit weird how Gon was like "I love being with you" to Killua.

Kipcha said:

But I DID like that scene with Killua assassinating those guys in the beginning. Now that was Bad-Ass!

Yeah! I was gonna say that that was the best scene.
Ollyx2OxenFreeJun 8, 2014 9:17 PM

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Jun 9, 2014 1:59 AM

Jun 2010
Ollyx2OxenFree said:

Lol, it was cute but a bit weird how Gon was like "I love being with you" to Killua.

You mean pretty gay
Jun 27, 2014 8:15 AM

Jan 2012
Kipcha said:

That scene was the reason why I decided to watch this movie... though it wasn't really worth it ^^" Didn't really like the movie...

And well at the end Killua looked like a maiden in love...
Jul 14, 2014 8:25 AM

May 2012
I heard some not that good reviews and saw the movie has a kinda low rating here. So I was kinda hesitant to watch this. But to my surprise, it is still a good movie! Although the animation is not that great as the series but this show still is entertaining to watch. I especially like the more Illumi screentime, the Spiders and of course, Hisoka! Hehe.
Aug 19, 2014 11:00 PM

Feb 2013
Actually, after having seen both movies (Phantom Rouge and The Last Mission), I really prefer this one a whole lot more. It had a lot more of my favorite characters and unlike Last Mission, most of them weren't boring as bricks. I enjoyed seeing Kurapika's past and what his clan was like. I really enjoyed the angst and turmoil of Killua, who is my favorite character. And I really loved seeing Illumi (both real and puppet) show up. We've actually haven't seen a lot of Illumi's unarmed combat and to get a taste of that here was pretty awesome. Hisoka actually did something in this movie (unlike The Last Mission), and it was cool to see the Phantom Troupe for however short time we get to see them. Even the ending was nice, seeing all the characters they will eventually be meeting along the way, like Biscuit, Kite, and of course that bastard, Ging.

I guess, unlike some others, I came into this with no expectations and came out really liking this movie.
Aug 30, 2014 2:42 PM

Jul 2007
Mirorin said:
What the hell was that? What happened to Hunter x Hunter?

This was shit... since when does Hunter x Hunter do crap like frontal attacks...? (No strategies, lack of nen, emotional shounen crap...)

Utterly generic and cliché. I didn't even recognize the characters. Too OOC for me. Plus the spiders were damn weak...They need the whole damn group to defeat this one ex-member? Are you kidding me?

Usually I can still somewhat enjoy filler arcs/movies. But this was brutal. (If it's true this was the original manga plot, I'm SO glad he scrapped it.)

2/10. A waste of time. I really regret watching this. I feel like it's a miracle I didn't drop it. e.o

It took me like 2 hrs to watch this last night lol. I fell asleep a few times, but perhaps i shouldn't of watched it when i was tired. But in any case yeah i think 2/10 is kind of harsh but to each there own. This movie was pretty generic though with a very cliche straight forward story that would not even remotely be in the minds of Togashi. Like you said, even the action and the frontal assaults was very one sided with hardly any clever strategical battles that Hxh is just famous for.

The characters them selfs were like empty shells, i kept thinking to my self, "is this the way gon would react in this situation" clearly the writer didn't do enough studying to find out exactly how these characters should be properly portrayed" This was really a waste of time. I guess the only saving grace for me was that it had to do with family ties to the Kura clan. But all the characters were one dimensional, even hisoka and the pot had really no point to it.

To me this was bout a 5/10. It was less then average.

ArtimesGamerAug 30, 2014 2:58 PM

Aug 30, 2014 3:03 PM

Jul 2007
Ollyx2OxenFree said:
Most anime movies based on anime series suck. This included. I even felt like the characters weren't their usual selves. Only liked that they brought Kurapika's backstory into it, the old spider member, Killua's fears and the usage of eyes and that's probably just because it makes it seem somewhat more connected to the series. It's harder to take some anime movies seriously since they're just like one big filler often with characters we'll never see in the anime.

Kipcha said:

Yeah! I was gonna say that that was the best scene.

Yeah the initial premise is what definitely interested me. To bad it went all down hill after that.

Nov 24, 2014 4:11 AM

Apr 2012
Omg, the music killed all the atmosphere! What's with that cheerful song while a girl is burning alive?! What about adventurous music in battle with puppets while it's supposed to be thrilling and intense? Mood killers.

Feelings of characters seemed rushed and shallow. Some scenes were just slide swows, they could do better for a movie. Apart from that, the story wasn't so bad as it covered Kurapika's past. Mixed with Killua's fears. Combined together, they got a story evolving around eyes, that was a little strange.

Still, it was enjoyable.
Dec 21, 2014 9:23 AM

Jun 2011
Nope. It was not good at all. All the characters were just shells of their original selves.
The only part I enjoyed was the short flashback showing Kurapika's past and the Kurta clan. Could've been more of that...
Jan 12, 2015 8:44 AM
Feb 2014
I'm a HxH fan and watching the characters together after i've finished the anime was really cool.
Feb 11, 2015 2:01 PM

Aug 2014
GustavoRamos said:
I'm a HxH fan and watching the characters together after i've finished the anime was really cool.

This :)

More screentime with Hisoka is always good.
Feb 16, 2015 6:16 PM

Apr 2012
To me, it was a bit of a letdown. I liked it, but it just lacked the feel that the TV series has.

I have to say though, the highlight of the movie was DEFINITELY this bit:
Feb 17, 2015 6:25 AM

Jun 2007
It was horrible. They should stop making non-canon HxH movies.
May 1, 2015 5:04 AM

Jun 2014
DalPuri said:
A mediocre movie from an objective point of view, but as a HxH fan, it was terrible.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Just as a shounen, I would have put it around a 6, but as part of the HxH franchise, it was a pretty big let down that I'd put at a 4, so just decided to average the two.
May 28, 2015 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
The first half of the movie was so heartwarming.
Jun 10, 2015 11:17 PM

Nov 2013
Thank God Togashi didn't use this in the series. As an hxh fan..it really felt lacking. I mean, it didn't hook me. I even got sleepy.

No strategies and nakama power was being shoved in our face! And Killua leaving Gon in the face of an enemy? Forget the fact that the doll looked like his brother. Killua ain't gonna leave Gon behind like that.

Though the train scene was more believable if he really betrayed Gon.

Ps. The thing that was the most catching was when they were in the balloon-plane and Killua staring. Xd
Dec 29, 2015 12:50 PM

Jan 2015
GustavoRamos said:

YES!
That ending tho... That music... Kaito... So many feels ;-;
Movie was really cool. 8/10
Apr 23, 2016 6:34 PM

Jan 2016
What the fuck was that shit!
This doesn't feel like Hunter x Hunter, even the main characters are just fuckin weird with no personalities.
Thank god Hunter x Hunter 2011 didn't have any fillers in it.

I'm the biggest HxH fan and i really wanted to like this, but dammit this was crap.
What a fuckin disgrace.
Jul 2, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2009
Did I just watched Hunter X Hunter? Or just a 4 average shounen characters with drama like Naruto.

Too disappointed. 6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2017 2:18 AM

Dec 2015
Far too much drama and friendship cringe for a 90 minute runtime, I expected more from a HxH movie. 3/10.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 1, 2018 12:19 AM

Mar 2016
The movie was better than I expected! We get a good amount of action, funny moments and the great friendship moments between those four + Retz
But damn this is not really sticking to the usual HxH vibe. I felt really sleepy during the final fight, basically, the whole movie is unusually weird. There're some good moments tho.

Now there is only the other movie left. After I watch that, I have watched every single HxH stuff...
ShadowkillZFeb 1, 2018 12:23 AM
Aug 25, 2018 10:53 PM

Dec 2014
well that was a little fun ride…seeing a little bit of kurapika background… overall good focus and enjoyed it all
Feb 21, 2019 4:33 AM

Dec 2016
Solid movie but man does it lack the charm and flow of the show/manga
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 8, 2019 7:09 AM

Jan 2013
Good movie. Reminded me of that hxh goodness.

Wish we saw more of phantom troupe though. Specifically Feitan :(.

Don't like how Killua was handled in this movie though. When he ran away during the mansion scene that felt so forced and unoriginal. But Gon didn't take it too badly and didn't have a second thought to forgive Killua.

Omokage's ability was OPed, but as a villain he did not impress much. He didn't even impress much by fighting, it was just standing in one place spamming the Spider's abilities. The best part of the action was Hisoka versus the Spider puppets imo.

7/10
Aug 11, 2019 2:34 AM
Apr 2019
It was ok nothing special
Oct 22, 2019 2:15 PM

Oct 2015
I expected Kurapika to not kill Omokage, but I thought he would be stopped by Gon and not Killua. The stabbing by his sister Retsu didn't surprise me at all, because I doubt they Would've made one of the main cast to kill him.

I was glad Hisoka was able to join up and help Gon and his friends. Leorio was definitely useless in all the fighting, but he was the one that was so eager to return Kurapika's eyes. How can you wake up after the fight, but you're the one that suggested the whole thing?

The killua/Gon versus Illumi, and the Kurapika versus Pairo kinda sucked for me. Those battles were all lackluster, nothing were epic about them, they should've just let Hisoka took over the whole thing. But it was nice to see the real phantom troupe join up the battle, those guys are still the best, but it's too bad Chrollo wasn't there since Kurapika has sealed his nen.

This movie overall wasn't that much. New characters weren't that impacting to remember for the future, I'm talking Retsu, Pairo and even Omokage. They didn't have that quality to stay in our memories for a long time or at all. The plot was between below average and average, it's almost like they copy and pasted some plot materials from the series. They should've just did a continuation instead of a side thing. The interpersonal of characters was also lacking, as I didn't feel the sentiment between Retsu and Omokage, I didn't even feel anything when they died together on that fire. But I enjoyed it a bit.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 1, 2020 11:29 AM

Feb 2012
Went with high expectation after finishing the serie but i didn't get the hxh vibes in this movie.
It was fine but that's about it.
Omokage seemed op at first but it's clear the puppets are very weak compared to the originals.
The only upside about it is he can be in differents places using a puppet of himself
Killua was clearly out of character there attempting suicide when he still have illumi needle that make him avoid danger at any cost.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Mar 1, 2020 11:17 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
The villain's power is way too broken. Generic movie over all.
Apr 25, 2020 4:33 AM

Aug 2019
This movie was the worst movie i've ever watched and i'm a fan of the H x H series but this movie was awful
May 12, 2020 6:27 AM
Aug 2015
I already knew it was going to be bad but it was worse. I enjoyed the first 30 minutes though. Overall everyone was pretty out of character and the plot predictable
May 22, 2020 11:57 AM

May 2016
Even if it could've been much better, I enjoyed this movie especially since more Hunter x Hunter's a good thing especially after I've finished the anime already.

I didn't really mind it at first but the way they acted didn't match their personalities like Gon being the level-headed one instead of Killua, etc. I absolutely love Reason but I think that they played it too often here. The fights weren't as good as I remember in the series too which was unfortunate.

Kurapika and Leorio having a big role in this was appreciated as well as the dive into the former's past. I really liked Retz as a supporting character and the antagonist being the former 4th Spider was really interesting~ Those cameos of Chrollo, Bisky, Kite, and Ging at the end were really nice.

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again but it was fun.

Aug 3, 2020 4:38 PM

Dec 2007
when the movie started i just liked how they made it close to the anime and made kurapika and kilua development, but as the movie get closed to the end they made some anime-movie-style polishes, the movie still great but not as the anime.
especially because the battles weren't as the anime but cheap action, even hisoka didn't fight as well in the anime.
the animation also bothered me as it seemed not only they didn't made new animation as the anime but the style as the first arcs than the darker tone in the yorknew arc and the cgi didn't went smooth so much.
8/10
Nov 5, 2020 7:31 AM

Apr 2012
I can't believe killua literally tried to kill himself lmao

i didn't like the movie very much. a lot of random convenient stuff happened and the villian's powers weren't really explained very well?? he seemed way too op but still lost really easily. Also after watching the whole show seeing killua pre-character growth was not that fun

I did appreciate the illumi moments tho lol

3/10 for me
Dec 16, 2020 4:21 AM

Apr 2013
A pretty meh movie. Generic villain with a generic closet-female obviously related to him from the first time you see her on screen. A bunch of cameos from popoular characters from the franchise to get fans horny as well.
Feb 11, 2021 10:58 AM
Feb 2021
The movie could have been so much more, overall I was disappointed. Also, why did Gon look different, I think his forehead was bigger. I loved Hunter x Hunter and was excited about the movies, but they just straight-up sucked, the storytelling was no good, there was no character development, and the villain was so cliche. Also, Killua's attempt at Suicide could have been more explained and deeper. So overall I would rate the Phantom rouge a 5/10
Sep 5, 2021 9:59 AM

Aug 2021
Gon, Killua, thank you. Thanks to you two, I can finally really live. -- Retz

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Gon looks weird in this movie?

Sortvind - Aug 8, 2013

7 by PizzaGOD_74 »»
Jan 8, 9:02 AM

» I only gave this a 3 because [SPOILERS]

Takamura-sama - Dec 29, 2017

8 by RjRaj »»
Nov 12, 2023 10:37 AM

» Is Omokage's ability too ridiculous? Is it ever explained in a way that is not ridiculous?

psykblue - May 13, 2018

2 by RafaelDeJongh »»
Jan 10, 2019 1:29 PM

» Watching the movie without watching the anime

giusex27 - Oct 29, 2013

3 by giusex27 »»
Oct 31, 2013 4:45 PM

» When do you watch this movie?

rpn101 - Jun 19, 2013

4 by Racaholic »»
Aug 4, 2013 1:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.