Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 14, 2013 10:20 AM

Mar 2013
I been told to watch this show by serval people and I have it on my computer but from what I heard (mostly the cooking is so fun part) it sounds really childish.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
May 15, 2013 3:35 AM

May 2012
kuzronk said:
I been told to watch this show by serval people and I have it on my computer but from what I heard (mostly the cooking is so fun part) it sounds really childish.
Says the person who's watching Tokyo Mew Mew? Why are you...?

Seriously though - Watch it subbed. Dub is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
who_dat_ninjaMay 15, 2013 3:45 AM
May 15, 2013 3:39 AM
Apr 2013
SteampunkDalek said:

Seriously though - Watch it subbed. Dub is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
May 15, 2013 3:43 AM
May 2013
Sub>Dub
May 15, 2013 3:53 AM

Apr 2013
Hey I kinda liked that "cooking is so fun, cooking is so fun, now it's time to take a break and see what we have done". Anyway if you don't like it it isn't a repetitive occurance. I dropped it after watchind dubbed even though I love Nichijou so maybe the dub is really whack.
May 15, 2013 3:59 AM

Oct 2010
I generally prefer dubs, but in this case subbed is better. The extent of the localisation and voice acting ruins it for me.
May 15, 2013 4:16 AM

May 2012
SlothNamakemono said:
Hey I kinda liked that "cooking is so fun, cooking is so fun, now it's time to take a break and see what we have done". Anyway if you don't like it it isn't a repetitive occurance. I dropped it after watchind dubbed even though I love Nichijou so maybe the dub is really whack.
Why didn't you switch to subs then?

Also, Azumanga>Nichijou
May 15, 2013 4:28 AM

Apr 2013
SteampunkDalek said:
SlothNamakemono said:
Why didn't you switch to subs then?

That's when I started watching anime and ignorantly refused antything subbed

SteampunkDalek said:
Also, Azumanga>Nichijou

I don't think anything can get funnier, But lemme give subbed version a go, hope it's just as good.
May 15, 2013 1:08 PM

Nov 2010
Sub > Dub for all comedy anime.

SlothNamakemono said:
SteampunkDalek said:
Also, Azumanga>Nichijou

I don't think anything can get funnier, But lemme give subbed version a go, hope it's just as good.
Meh, Azumanga has some pretty funny scenes, but it definitely isn't as funny as Nichijou. Azumanga is pretty boring at times, especially near the end.
May 15, 2013 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
IntroverTurtle said:

Cromartie High School is A LOT funnier in the dubbed version than in the subbed. I also prefer FMP: Fumoffu dubbed as well, even though the sub isn't too bad either.

I agree that most comedies are better subbed though, since comedies generally focus on Japanese culture and puns to create humour, which is why shows like Azumanga Daioh are better received in the original Japanese audio.
May 15, 2013 1:39 PM

Oct 2010
I haven't been really into the dub version of the series, from the very few things I've heard it seems quite nice, with the exception of Chiyo maybe, I can't stomach her English voice. The Japanese cast is quite awesome, though, so I would take the sub option.

The cooking is so fun part is just equally cheesy in the sub and the dub, so I doubt that gets better for you. I do love that scene, though, but then again, I'm very fond of this kind of non sequitur absurdity.
May 15, 2013 1:46 PM
Mar 2011
sub for around over 8000 reasons
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 15, 2013 1:48 PM

Jul 2012
I've seen a little of the dub. It's not bad. That said, the sub is probably better for this show. I could be wrong though. I haven't seen it subbed.
DateYutaka said:

Name at least 8001 reasons than.
May 15, 2013 1:49 PM

Feb 2012
Dub, because they are better then subs. (Except Higuarshi, the sub is perfect)

Seriously. If you feel like reading subtitles, watch the sub. You don't? Watch the Dub.
May 15, 2013 1:52 PM
Mar 2011
Battlechili1 said:
I've seen a little of the dub. It's not bad. That said, the sub is probably better for this show. I could be wrong though. I haven't seen it subbed.
DateYutaka said:

that was a pun there is so much suttle changes that there very hard to list alot og the jokes make o sesne in english for example like calling Osaka osaka in the Dub cuase here dialict does not match the jokes any more
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 15, 2013 1:53 PM

Jul 2012
DateYutaka said:
Battlechili1 said:
DateYutaka said:

that was a pun there is so much suttle changes that there very hard to list alot og the jokes make o sesne in english for example like calling Osaka osaka in the Dub cuase here dialict does not match the jokes any more

Even in the dub I think they actually have subtitles to explain the jokes in this show.
8000 more to go.
TrishaCatMay 15, 2013 2:04 PM
May 15, 2013 1:58 PM

Nov 2010
spyrocoot said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Cromartie High School is A LOT funnier in the dubbed version than in the subbed. I also prefer FMP: Fumoffu dubbed as well, even though the sub isn't too bad either.

I agree that most comedies are better subbed though, since comedies generally focus on Japanese culture and puns to create humour, which is why shows like Azumanga Daioh are better received in the original Japanese audio.
The comedy isn't better or funnier in the dub, it's just tailored for your culture, so you get the jokes more. I prefer all those comedy anime subbed.
May 15, 2013 2:01 PM

Oct 2010
MFKAE86 said:

Seriously. If you feel like reading subtitles, watch the sub. You don't? Watch the Dub.

I hate responses like these. The thread is to do with Azumanga Daioh's sub and dub, not subs and dubs in general.
Mar 2011
Battlechili1 said:
DateYutaka said:
Battlechili1 said:
DateYutaka said:

Even in the dub they actually have subtitles to explain the jokes in this show.
8000 more to go.

that over 8000 pun key word pun was a link to quitfing all the moinor changes in the two that sorry no sane person can list wihout out goiing thought each episode second by second and listing them im not doing that

Oct 2010
Sub > Dub
May 15, 2013 2:11 PM

Oct 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
spyrocoot said:
IntroverTurtle said:

The comedy isn't better or funnier in the dub, it's just tailored for your culture, so you get the jokes more. I prefer all those comedy anime subbed.

According to the Oxford English dictionary, comedy is defined as:

1 [mass noun] professional entertainment consisting of jokes and sketches, intended to make an audience laugh.

I greatly enjoyed both series, and watched both of them in subbed and dubbed form. I laughed a lot more in the dubbed versions.

"...it's just tailored for your culture..."

Wouldn't you recommend your typical MAL user to watch the aforementioned comedies dubbed, then? Comedy tailored to other cultures isn't as likely to be well received, so you're less likely to laugh. Based on comedy's definition, its purpose would've failed.
May 15, 2013 3:40 PM

Feb 2012
spyrocoot said:
MFKAE86 said:

I hate responses like these. The thread is to do with Azumanga Daioh's sub and dub, not subs and dubs in general.

Ok. Well, I watched the Dub, So i say watch the dub.
May 16, 2013 10:16 AM

Mar 2013
I started with dub so I prefer dub. It's cute.

Yay it's ready ^_^

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
Jul 19, 2013 7:25 PM

Jun 2012
There are dubs I am fine with. This is not one of them. Not even close. I'm re-watching it again, and when I re-watch/play things I'll often do something different. With DB I went from Dub to Sub, with Pokemon I played as the girl, ect. But not here, no way. Can't stomach the dub. Yukari and Tomo are ok, but I can't stand anyone else. Especially Osaka. She goes from hilarious and surprisingly adorable to annoying.
Jun 3, 2014 11:38 AM

Oct 2013
sub ever
nanofate fan
konata x kagami fan
Jun 3, 2014 11:40 AM

Jan 2012
Sub ftw

Jul 8, 2014 5:18 AM

Sep 2013
SteampunkDalek said:
Also, Azumanga>Nichijou

I'd say it's close, but would agree with that.

Also, sub.
May 31, 2019 9:49 AM

Jul 2016
I did not watch it in subbed, but the dub was pretty good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 10, 2008

59 by maxmilix »»
Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 16, 2008

56 by hellasmokee »»
Yesterday, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 7, 2008

96 by Tamer2002 »»
Apr 14, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Dec 18, 2007

72 by Tamer2002 »»
Apr 14, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 17, 2008

51 by UnknownGhost5 »»
Apr 13, 4:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.