Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 12, 2013 4:06 PM

Oct 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Third part was excellent! It came very slowly in last two eps but with this one, all evil and demons of Griffith are released with all its perversion.

There are some really powerful themes in there and the same are images, like Casca's rape which was really really disturbing. And this imagery goes more very dark and twisted when the movie neares to its end.

May 13, 2013 1:44 AM

Apr 2012
it was good, fight scene in the dungeon was epic
but... but... ECLIPSE
maaan, it was TERRIFYING
watched it in a movie theater and shit bricks XD

PS Slan (Miyuki Sawashiro) = perfect hellwhore
May 13, 2013 3:26 AM

Jun 2011
guys, i have two questions..
1. how did they handle the eclipse overall? like the anime series (which was very good) or better?
or even like the manga?
2. did they give Skullknight his justice ?

i can't wait till my blu-ray arrive on june!!! v,v
May 13, 2013 4:18 AM

Apr 2012
OnePieceQ8 said:
guys, i have two questions..
1. how did they handle the eclipse overall? like the anime series (which was very good) or better?
or even like the manga?
2. did they give Skullknight his justice ?

i can't wait till my blu-ray arrive on june!!! v,v

1. better (rape is more detailed in manga, but way more BRUTAL in this movie)
2. yes, Gutz even shown his sword to him (instead strangling Caska) XD
karneheniMay 17, 2013 9:40 AM
May 13, 2013 4:52 AM

Jun 2011
karneheni said:

1. better (rape is more detailed in manga, but way more BRUTAL in this movie)
2. yes, Gutz even shown his sword to him (instead strangling Caska)

wow.. looking forward to watch it..
thx for replaying :D
May 13, 2013 5:32 PM

Mar 2008
It was mindblowingly awesome. When I walked out of the cinema after watching this I was totally lost for words...I still don't know what else I could possibly say to convey how much I loved it. =O
May 16, 2013 9:52 AM

May 2013
Which version of this movie did all of you watched? R-15+ or R-18+
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
May 16, 2013 3:07 PM

Oct 2012
rockbot said:

I watched 15+ but bear in mind that this type of content would get 18+ in US I guess (Casca x Guts sex scene plus Casca rape in second half of movie). So I wouldn't call that censored in any way. Yes, there are some nature stills instead of erotic action in the first scene mentioned but nudity is there and it feels very satisfying.

I think main reason this movie gets another 18+ version is not because of sex but due to very drastic scenes which happens in the end. I guess it fits movie just fine and I found them great but some people were leaving theatre because they couldn't stand watching it. So I really wonder what worse things has to be in 18+ version that it gets its adult stamp.

For this reason I am not sure if 18+ version will ever leave Japan.
May 17, 2013 9:39 AM

Apr 2012
rockbot said:

18+
May 17, 2013 4:32 PM

May 2013
Is it more violent than what was shown in the manga?
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
May 17, 2013 4:56 PM

Jun 2009
I sure hope the 18+ version will be subbed. I'm sure it will, but I definitely want the one with the higher rating as it should be closer to the manga.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 25, 2013 8:46 PM

Jul 2012
It'll be subbed when the DVD's are released right? Or at least around then? I think they are releasing next month on the 16th or so.
Jun 7, 2013 4:39 AM
Sep 2012
Is it subbed?
Jun 7, 2013 9:44 PM
Feb 2013
...look at the post above you.
Jun 12, 2013 5:38 AM

Mar 2012
One more week!! Holy Shit!

Well, maybe a bit more to get it subbed. Pretty excited for it though. Might just marathon the films now.
Jun 12, 2013 12:40 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, i guess I'll just wait for this to get subbed before I try the movie series out.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 18, 2013 4:34 PM

Apr 2013
AHHHHHHHHH I WANT MOAR BERSERK! A couple of days and its up!
Jun 19, 2013 5:33 AM

May 2012
The raw version is available on nyaa
Jun 19, 2013 5:54 AM

Mar 2012
thepath said:
The raw version is available on nyaa

!!!!!!!!!! O_O !!!!!!!!!!
Jun 19, 2013 7:06 AM

Jul 2012
now I have to wait for the subtitle
hope they'll do for the 18+ version
Jun 19, 2013 8:33 AM

Oct 2012
pikeman1 said:

no 18+ version is out yet.
Jun 19, 2013 8:55 AM

Jul 2009
Mich666 said:
pikeman1 said:

no 18+ version is out yet.

There's one on Nyaa.

Watched the movie raw. Really is the best of the 3 and the changes aren't nearly as jarring or bad as the previous movies. Overall, the Eclipse has been handled a lot better than the series handled it, making it the first movie to really overtake the series (From a storyline perspective, the fights are more entertaining in the movies).

My problem with the movie? The animation, again. Now it's a LOT better than the previous two, especially the 3D, but something still strikes me - Why are they being so cheap and lazy? Low-poly models, sloppy animation, awkward transitions from 3D to 2D... The worst part? The artwork is AMAZING. The eclipse backgrounds are stunning and more than often spoiled by low-poly badly animated models. It doesn't even take long to disappoint as the lump of Daemons at the beginning of the movie awkwardly drop from the hole in the wall to the floor.

Animation is fickle - You get it wrong, and it really looks bad. A living creature will never go from motion to a complete freeze - Something that these movies have consistently achieved to get wrong. It started in the first movie with the scene of Guts arguing with Casca on the hill, when Griffith approaches Guts and seats next to him awkwardly, in what is one of the biggest soilings of a scene I've ever witnessed.

And you know what makes it worse? They can clearly get it right. Again, the first movie, Guts is paid by the mercenary leader just after the opening credits in what is clearly a rotoscoped scene, and it looks glorious and natural. It DOESN'T WORK if they do it once or twice and then cheap out at other occasions, it just makes parts of the movie feel like poor afterthoughts.

Those are my thoughts on the animation. The 2D animation is absolutely stellar for the most part bar some awkward speaking animation, namely due to the detail of the characters in Berserk, the more detailed the mouth the more difficult to animate after all in a form of media like this where speech is often handled via repeated animation.

Voice acting is really quite something. I remember the backlash when it was announced that it would be a different cast to the series, but I'm highly impressed with each and every character. If anything has been a let down, it has been due to clear bad writing, such as Charlotte's awkward horny squeaks in the second movie. That is a very Japanese trope to be in a highly European influenced series.

Music is good. Nothing spectacular - I love Sagisu but the music in the Berserk movies has been highly hit and miss. Some really stand out, some feel a little too Hans Zimmer-esque. We get it, heavy, bass-y drum beats are cool, but not ALL the time.

Sounds assets are the most impressive part of this movie. Truly, they make the eclipse what it is - A terrifying sequence.
Jun 19, 2013 9:12 AM

Oct 2008
Waiting for subs......
Jun 19, 2013 9:44 AM
Oct 2010
Movie was good, some scenes were changed in the eclipse part and some were left out entirely. My biggest issue was the CG animation, which has been my biggest issue for the entire show. I see no reason why they need to CG anything but the monsters (which were done extremely well mind you) and zoomed out views of large battles. Whenever they come "close" into the fight there's generally so few people on screen that there's really no excuse for using CG other than being cheap.

At points during the eclipse somethings felt kinda weird with the changing of scenes, and some changes were odd to say the least. I should also mention some scenes were toned down while others were more graphic.
Jun 19, 2013 10:49 AM

Apr 2013
Must..Resist..Watching..Raws..

I WANT SUBS NOW!
Jun 19, 2013 11:16 AM

Jun 2011
The best out of the three. i really loved every single scene around Griffith..
+ GutsxCasca scene + Guts at the end.. also SK Badass enterance.
i really enjoyed it.

5/5
btw: SLAN can get the D :P

EDIT::
+ Silat vs guts was awesome fight.
+ Scene AFTER CREDITS.
+ Breakthrough song at the very end i WANT that song.
- CG thing still there in few scenes but i got used to it :P
Satou0KunJun 19, 2013 12:55 PM
Jun 19, 2013 12:52 PM

Nov 2007
geeez download is soooo slow!!! Where did you get yours OnePieceQ8?
Jun 19, 2013 12:54 PM

Jun 2011
Arkaniet said:
geeez download is soooo slow!!! Where did you get yours OnePieceQ8?

check nyaa torrents they are fast.
Jun 19, 2013 1:23 PM
Aug 2011
So, what are the differences between r-15 and r-18+ versions, exactly?
Jun 19, 2013 1:27 PM

Jun 2011
Vudreya said:
So, what are the differences between r-15 and r-18+ versions, exactly?

don't know really.. only R15 out on the internet and it's pretty graphic and horrifying..
i ordered First press bluray which include R18+ ..
next week i will know the diff.
Jun 19, 2013 1:31 PM

Jul 2009
OnePieceQ8 said:
don't know really.. only R15 out on the internet and it's pretty graphic and horrifying..

Seriously, I thought I watched the 18 version but apparently it was the 15+.

Slightly scared to watch the 18+ version.
Jun 19, 2013 1:34 PM

Nov 2007
therse is an japanese titled release on nyaa which includes the r18 version. Just look for Berserk on yokyotoshokan and you'll be linked to it. But it is going slow as hell...

Also I don't know the specific changes between the r15 and the r18 version but previous news suggest that it has something to do with graphic sexual content presumably the rape scene. I think the r18 version had "pervasive sexual content" as a rating point which the r15 version didn't. Hope this helps you for now until we get a better way to compare.
ArkanietJun 19, 2013 1:37 PM
Jun 19, 2013 4:46 PM

Apr 2013
R15 / R18
It was said that:
- the sex scene between Casca and Guts was more explicit
- more gore when Guts cuts his arm

So far those are the only differences I'm aware of.
Jun 19, 2013 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
Sourire said:
R15 / R18
It was said that:
- the sex scene between Casca and Guts was more explicit
- more gore when Guts cuts his arm

So far those are the only differences I'm aware of.

The differences aren't that big, the Guts and Casca scene just shows a little bit more, a little bit more gore when Guts cuts his arm, and the rape is more explicit, if you saw the 15+ version then you probably noticed some shots that have things darkend out, the 18+ version shows a lot more.
Jun 19, 2013 7:45 PM

Apr 2008
Lol, stop asking question about R-15 and R-18. I find the two first movie very bad, but the third is better Finaly, the manga is totaly better and a a lot more great. There are still a lot of points at improved especially the first two movies have hurt for met.

So now, Those who have not read the manga, it is time now. Well, I do not feel the same as the manga where everything is more powerful. 5,5/10

Edit: Juts say: Read Berserk!Read Berserk!Read Berserk!Read Berserk!
KiraYoshikageJun 19, 2013 8:38 PM
Jun 19, 2013 10:09 PM
Oct 2010
Psychodrake said:
OnePieceQ8 said:

Seriously, I thought I watched the 18 version but apparently it was the 15+.

Slightly scared to watch the 18+ version.

From what I noticed the rape scene has a bit more to it, Griffith begins pleasuring Casca with his fingers in the first scene of the rape and they show his shaft going in three times and basically show any censored scenes.
Jun 20, 2013 5:04 AM

Apr 2008
Although it is better than the other two, it is totally crap for a title that bears the name of Berserk. WTF, the eclipse is blue, this supposed to be red. There is no Godo in the movie. 1000 times less powerful and emotional than in the manga. The fight against Silat is very disappointing. There are still a lot of cut scene. No Wyald, even if we already knew. Some scenes are misplaced.

I have a lot more of negative things, but I'll stop now
Jun 20, 2013 5:51 AM

Jun 2011
KiraYoshikage said:
Although it is better than the other two, it is totally crap for a title that bears the name of Berserk. WTF, the eclipse is blue, this supposed to be red. There is no Godo in the movie. 1000 times less powerful and emotional than in the manga. The fight against Silat is very disappointing. There are still a lot of cut scene. No Wyald, even if we already knew. Some scenes are misplaced.

I have a lot more of negative things, but I'll stop now

sry but do you watch animes to have fun? take it easy.
and it's not fair to list Negatives without listing the Positives too.
plus, they cut many things because its almost 2 hours movie. there's no way to cover every single detail from the manga in 4 hours movie.. how do you want them to do it in 2 hour?
in the end its your opinion..

i think they did great job and it was very enjoyable..

i will list the positives and negatives from what i saw..

+ Great scenes (specially Griffith's)
+ The hand Drawings are Brilliant.
+ The backgrounds are amazing.
+ VA did there job.
+ OST were really good.
(only the rape scene's ST wasn't my cup of tea :P i like behelit more)
+ They handled the eclipse as good as possible.

- CG thing in few scenes.. still noticable.
- the first half was fast and lot of cuts.
- the escape scene was the worst in this movie. ( since there's no wyald )

and that's it.
Satou0KunJun 20, 2013 6:28 AM
Jun 20, 2013 6:18 AM

Jun 2011
Differance between R15 and R18+
** IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE MOVIE.. DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER DOWN BELOW **
Satou0KunJun 20, 2013 6:23 AM
Jun 20, 2013 6:28 AM

Apr 2008
Nah, I can't have fun when it is not great as the manga.The ost is good and the animation is better than the two first movie. I don't care about the background. They were already good in the other movies.

Good point:
animation better
ost good
The opening always good

We must take into consideration all the three movies and also in general it is very disappointing. Even if the third movie is better, the other two movie makes the third movie disappointing too. Having been too critical scene cut or modified in the second movie is very sad. This changes the perspective for the third movie. I'll re-state as in the subjects of other movie Berserk is no good in a movie format. The vest would be the OVA. There are even interviews on the net where there are many members of the project who are not satisfied and admit some error. In addition, Skullknight not even come to the proper scene.

There is also the fact that Judeau and co are not nearly as significant in the manga.
Jun 20, 2013 6:36 AM

Jun 2011
KiraYoshikage said:
Nah, I can't have fun when it is not great as the manga.The ost is good and the animation is better than the two first movie. I don't care about the background. They were already good in the other movies.

Good point:
animation better
ost good
The opening always good

We must take into consideration all the three movies and also in general it is very disappointing. Even if the third movie is better, the other two movie makes the third movie disappointing too. Having been too critical scene cut or modified in the second movie is very sad. This changes the perspective for the third movie. I'll re-state as in the subjects of other movie Berserk is no good in a movie format. The vest would be the OVA. There are even interviews on the net where there are many members of the project who are not satisfied and admit some error. In addition, Skullknight not even come to the proper scene.

There is also the fact that Judeau and co are not nearly as significant in the manga.

True 100%.. i can't disagree with that..
still, i watched these movies as a bonus and they were enjoyable (in my opinion)..
Jun 20, 2013 7:07 AM

Nov 2007
OnePieceQ8 said:
KiraYoshikage said:

Good point:
animation better
ost good
The opening always good

True 100%.. i can't disagree with that..
still, i watched these movies as a bonus and they were enjoyable (in my opinion)..

I gotta agree with Kira as well. The other two movies just dragged this one down. What saddens me the most is, that the movies do not portray what made the manga so special to me. I loved the amount of detail in every panel. And it got better when the years progressed. If I wouldn't have had read the mangas beforehand I wouldn't feel the need to to so after the third movie. It was not bad or anything it just didn't live up to the source material in any way.
Jun 20, 2013 7:41 AM

Mar 2012
No word on subs yet. Anyone have an idea who's taking this project?

I need to see this!!
Jun 20, 2013 9:06 AM

Nov 2012
This was actually the first of the Berserk movies that I somewhat enjoyed. I'm not sure why, but it seemed somewhat more captivating even though I watched it RAW.

But really, people in this thread are calling the "rape" scene brutal and cruel, so I was quite disappointed when watching it. I only watched the R-15 version so far, but to me it looked like Casca enjoyed it? She moaned and even kissed him back, so I'm not quite sure what part of it was "brutal rape". Besides, she always had a crush on Griffith.
I expected something more to happen but I guess that's just me.

Besides that, gonna wait for the subs now and will watch the R-18 version at a later time, to see the differences.
Jun 20, 2013 11:19 AM

Apr 2013
KousukeKira said:
This was actually the first of the Berserk movies that I somewhat enjoyed. I'm not sure why, but it seemed somewhat more captivating even though I watched it RAW.

But really, people in this thread are calling the "rape" scene brutal and cruel, so I was quite disappointed when watching it. I only watched the R-15 version so far, but to me it looked like Casca enjoyed it? She moaned and even kissed him back, so I'm not quite sure what part of it was "brutal rape". Besides, she always had a crush on Griffith.

Besides that, gonna wait for the subs now and will watch the R-18 version at a later time, to see the differences.
(I haven't watched the movie yet) Casca only liked Griffith in the beginning. In the manga, she's way more "in love" with Guts than Griffith. Also, if I remember correctly, the only reason why she enjoyed the rape was because her mind gets broken and that's after she cries and begs Guts not to watch. The rape always pisses me off because it destroyed her character, which was enjoyable at first, but she becomes so annoying in the manga after a while and since the manga is pretty much dead, we will never have closure on her.
Jun 20, 2013 11:50 AM

Jul 2009
KousukeKira said:

They really missed the mark on the rape.

Some spoilers to follow

Bleh, it's a movie I'll re watch a lot. I like it, it really is the most gruesome thing I've ever seen and it's a decent adaptation considering everything. At the end of the day, the movies were either going to miss a few marks and skip a few landmarks, or we weren't going to get any movies for YEARS. Redline took 7 years to animate? Think about it. They can't do everything. Japanese animation studios do not have anything near the budget of the movies we see in the west, and a lot of people end up sounding like spoiled brats at the end of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the blatant mistakes these movies made, but my god at least be happy to have more Berserk.

KiraYoshikage said:

And I hate this attitude. Can't have fun? Don't watch the movies. You don't care about the backgrounds? Half of what makes Berserk so damn good is the artistic direction being so unique for a manga. Don't fool yourself into thinking Berserk is the pinnacle of storytelling as you're way off the mark, it's a combination of EVERYTHING that makes it so good - The movies succeed at some parts of that, but falls flat on others.

The part it falls flat on is detail. The movies strip it down to the basics - Guts, Griffith and Casca, and compliments these characters with gorgeous artwork, above par animation (Weak CGI) and fantastic sound and musical assets. It ignores the politics outright as well as other parts as it is completely unrealistic to expect the entire Berserk universe to be fleshed out in high quality without it being a western live-action by Peter J.
Jun 20, 2013 11:51 AM

Jan 2013
RATHER WAIT FOR SUB SO I CAN ENJOY THAT BERSERK GREATNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

AHH ITS GONNA BE CRAZY GRIFFITH AHHHHHHHH CASKA AHHHHHHH GUTS AHHHHHHH
Jun 20, 2013 12:04 PM

Apr 2013
Psychodrake said:
this kind of annoys me.. if they messed up the rape the movie is ruined for me.. I heard from people who saw it in Japan that the rape scene was more gruesome than in the manga.. but if she is smiling instead of crying it kind of puts me off.
Jun 20, 2013 12:28 PM

Jul 2009
Sourire said:
Psychodrake said:
this kind of annoys me.. if they messed up the rape the movie is ruined for me.. I heard from people who saw it in Japan that the rape scene was more gruesome than in the manga.. but if she is smiling instead of crying it kind of puts me off.

The rape scene is somewhat more gruesome in that it's animated. That in itself is generally a point for the movie making it harder to watch.

But there are issues I have with the scene in general, and I think the manga version is still the best by a long shot. The biggest issue I have still comes down to Casca's character design in the movies, she lacks the muscular physique and countless battle scars making her very nice on the eyes compared to the manga. This is a massive mistake. She's not exactly supposed to be ugly, she's supposed to be pretty and slightly masculine in build - But the movies make her pure eye candy. This adversely affects a scene like the rape scene, but more importantly, makes her feel like a different character.

The smile is a big flaw. She shouldn't be enjoying it, she should be pure tears and expressionless. I think that's what they were going for, but didn't know how to do it, by that I mean that she's "Broken to a point of laughter and pleasure" like how Corkus was before his death. It didn't really work.

Meanwhile Guts's expressions are handled perfectly during this scene. Technically, it actually makes sense of his sudden rage during this scene, where his rage was much less evident while slaying daemons moments before like it was in the manga. In the manga, he was REALLY out for blood during the eclipse, but in the movie he clearly is just trying to survive up until the rape, which is when he turns into a raging beast.

Where's mah declaration of war.
Jun 20, 2013 2:28 PM
Oct 2010
The rape scene was used as a further driving force for guts rage. The fact that Casca looked like she was enjoying it made it worse from his POV I'd imagine. At the same time her expression can be explained by saying she was heavily disoriented.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Guts and Jaime Lannister

Deeboy - Dec 10, 2018

2 by Dannyr22 »»
Mar 26, 2023 8:17 AM

» Berserk Ougon Jidai-hen III kourin l what chapters are in the movie?

NAYANAYANAYA - Mar 14, 2023

1 by AndroidLB »»
Mar 14, 2023 10:35 AM

» Why so much hate for the berserk movies ?

EndritVA - May 14, 2014

19 by DriveTG »»
Jul 28, 2022 12:33 PM

» I know why this movie exists

WhyIsGutsSoAweso - May 15, 2021

7 by WhyIsGutsSoAweso »»
May 16, 2021 9:22 AM

» Why do people say the soundtrack for the movies weren't good?

HarryRambod22 - Oct 9, 2017

1 by Zoldra0 »»
Oct 11, 2017 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.