Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 19, 2009 8:20 AM

Apr 2008
My Lord, Year of the Dragon was a bad movie! Avoid at all costs! The only good thing was John Lone. Everything else = crap.

Alucard and Seras

Sep 20, 2009 10:37 AM

Nov 2006
I saw "The Informant" last night. I'm honestly not really sure what to make of it. When I first saw the trailer, I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a funny movie or a drama/suspense FBI kinda movie. But when I saw it, the only word that came to mind that could possibly describe it was "random". It was random. The plot was pretty good, music was pretty good, and there was a slight twist at the end, but throughout the entire movie I found myself constantly thinking, "What the hell?" It did have its funny parts but it certainly was not suspenseful at all. In fact, I found myself getting quite annoyed with the main character during some parts of it. Don't get me wrong here. I LOVE Matt Damon. So far all the movies I've seen with him in it have been fantastic! But his character in this movie certainly won't make my Top 20. This is most certainly one movie I could have waited to see on DVD or even TV.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2009 11:48 AM

Aug 2008
Saw ''The Soviet Story'' in the cinema a few hours ago. I wouldn't comment the subject, after all everyone has their own beliefs. This film is certainly going to take a part of my becoming worldview.
Well, in general, it was......... Just can't say without commenting, it was cruel. Even almost made me cry.
I'm not educated well enough, yet, to give it a score.
Sep 26, 2009 11:15 PM

Jul 2008
The Savages

Very good. Sad and thought provoking about old age.
Can't go wrong with PSH either. Have yet to see him in a bad movie.
Oct 2, 2009 1:08 PM

Apr 2008
Zombieland was a lot of fun. The entire cast was great, but Woody was by far the best. Check it out.

Alucard and Seras

Oct 10, 2009 5:00 PM

Oct 2007
I liked that Emma Stone chick and the way her boobies bounced when they took apart that Indian store.

Also, I had to run from the cops for being on the set while they were filming... well, they weren't filming at the time, but that stretch of highway was shut down, and me and a friend were exploring when the cops came through.
Oct 12, 2009 10:28 PM
Jan 2009
Just saw Christopher Nolan's Memento... wasn't bowled over by it. Aesthetically speaking it's commendable, and I appreciate the balls to do something so bizarre with the film's narrative structure... but ultimately it just felt kinda gimmicky. Like The Dark Knight, it seemed more interested in LOOKING like a good movie than actually BEING a good movie. It was just one of those movies that tries really hard to be good and noteworthy, but ultimately doesn't really have a soul. Which I'm starting to think is pretty much Christopher Nolan in a nutshell for me.
I got Blue Velvet the other day, though, as quite a few people have told me that I would like David Lynch and that Blue Velvet is his best film. I'll probably watch it relatively soon; I have high expectations for it. Just hope they're not too high. (The last film I had extra-high expectations for was American Beauty, and I ended up being massively disappointed.)
Oct 18, 2009 8:46 AM

Jul 2008
Blue Velvet is incredible and it should blow you away if you like strange films. If not ... well, it might not be your cup of tea. Honestly though, it is my absolute favorite movie, the only ones that come close are Ichi the Killer and Funny Games.
Oct 19, 2009 11:32 PM
Jan 2009
Man, you love your sadistic violence, huh?
Oct 20, 2009 4:15 PM

Apr 2008
Sadistic violence is the best kind of violence.

Alucard and Seras

Oct 28, 2009 3:55 PM
Jan 2009
I just saw A Serious Man last night... I love the Coens, but really I just don't know what to make of it. I'm genuinely baffled. I may have to see it again to form a clearer opinion of it. Just like their last two films, the ending came completely out of nowhere and my head's still spinning from it. (Well, to be fair, at least in No Country For Old Men the ending, while unexpected, did make sense once I thought about it a little. Burn After Reading just felt like it was prematurely cut off. And this one... I just don't know what to make of this.)
Nov 3, 2009 3:13 PM

Jul 2008
gatotsu911 said:
Man, you love your sadistic violence, huh?

Sadistic violence is the violence that makes you smile. :D But seriously, Blue Velvet is a must see.

gatotsu911 said:
Just like their last two films, the ending came completely out of nowhere and my head's still spinning from it. (Well, to be fair, at least in No Country For Old Men the ending, while unexpected, did make sense once I thought about it a little. Burn After Reading just felt like it was prematurely cut off. )

As for the Coens:
Burn After Readings ending really wasn't meant to make sense, it was to show the blunders that the CIA/FBI (Don't exactly remember which) makes all the time. Everyone thinks that they are these high and mighty people who can never do wrong when really they're only people who don't have any more idea about what's going on in the world than we do. That's what the ending is all about, how all this heaping pile of nothing becomes such a big deal due to paranoia and then when it's all over, no one really knows what happened or why and neither should the viewer. That's probably why you didn't get it, it wasn't meant to be fully gotten.

As for A Serious Man ... yeah have yet to see that one so I'll let you know my opinion when I do.

However did see perhaps the greatest movie of the 2000s over the weekend, a little half buried gem called Brick. An absolutely positively genius, jaw-dropping, stunning, awe-inspiring, hands down beautiful movie. Everyone out there YOU NEED TO SEE THIS! I seriously mean that. The plot is perfectly crafted and fluid, although it takes about twenty minutes of film for you to really figure out what in God's name is going on, the characters are quirky with their own little ticks, the movie is dark, it is humorous, it is well-shot. God, I could go on about it all day. Suffice to say, you need to check this one out. I ended up buying it from a bargain bin for $5 and it was worth every cent. You will not be disappointed and if you like dark dramas or noir films, this is really one you need to see. I only hope that the director has something else coming out soon because this was one of his first efforts so I'd love to see what he puts out after he gets some experience.

10 out of 10 for Brick.
Nov 3, 2009 10:15 PM

Jul 2008
Brick is indeed awesome. I second his recommendation.
Nov 4, 2009 4:07 AM

Jul 2007
gatotsu911 said:
I just saw A Serious Man last night... I love the Coens, but really I just don't know what to make of it. I'm genuinely baffled. I may have to see it again to form a clearer opinion of it. Just like their last two films, the ending came completely out of nowhere and my head's still spinning from it. (Well, to be fair, at least in No Country For Old Men the ending, while unexpected, did make sense once I thought about it a little. Burn After Reading just felt like it was prematurely cut off. And this one... I just don't know what to make of this.)

Totally agree with you on that one. Except I understood the ending place of Burn After Reading as well so this was kind of a surprise for me. >.<

A Serious Man... I sort of widened my eyes in confusion when the lights came on in the theatre at the end. Then the credits rolled and all I could say was "...Huh."
The movie overall was definitely interesting if not a little confusing. Admittedly, I had to get up to refill the popcorn for my brother once during it, and apparently missed a pretty important scene. Overall, I'd say it's hard to define just what exactly that movie was about. (I came in late too... so I might've missed something important in the opening scene as well...) I think this might be one of those movies you have to watch a second time to fully get, sort of like Synecdoche NY.
Nov 5, 2009 10:37 AM

Mar 2008
The Heathers: It was pretty good, had some funny parts. I don't like Christian Slater though, so the movie probably would have been rated higher if he hadn't been in it. 3.5/5.

Freeway: This was interesting. My mom said it was really funny, but I didn't find it that much. There were a few funny parts, but I thought it was going to be funnier. 3/5.

M: This is an old german movie. It was good. There were a lot of awkward silence though, because in American films, they add background noise to scenes that don't have any. You got use to it after a while though. 4/5.
Nov 5, 2009 12:15 PM
Jan 2009
Oh, I get perfectly well what the Coens were trying to say with Burn After Reading. That doesn't mean the ending felt any less abrupt, though. I really should see it again.

I'll have to check out this "Brick", as well...
Nov 5, 2009 8:15 PM

Apr 2008
Brick amazing, just watched it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a spectacular actor. I would also recommend The Lookout.

Alucard and Seras

Nov 7, 2009 11:37 AM

Jul 2008
Oh yeah, The Lookout was spectacular. Speaking of which, have the directors of The Lookout and Brick done anything else? Both were so good but I haven't ever really seen the directors' names anywhere else.
Nov 7, 2009 3:34 PM
Jan 2009
Just saw The Box last night. Like Donnie Darko before it, the film is markedly bizarre, needlessly confusing, doesn't always make sense, and seems more than once to forget to explain something to the viewers that they're supposed to know (or do so in an unnecessarily nonsensical or convoluted manner). Also like Donnie Darko, however, it's strikingly imaginitive, emotionally compelling, and truly haunting. It is an improvement for Kelly storytelling-wise, as this one at the very least makes some degree of sense without requiring supplemental materials. It's also one of the creepiest films I've seen in quite some time. Many people are bound to hate it (mainstream critics already don't seem to be taking too kindly to it, if Metacritic is to be believed), but I'm confident that it, too, is destined to become a cult classic soon enough. Who knows, maybe in another couple years we'll see another Director's Cut by Richard Kelly to fill in the gaping plot holes left in THIS one.

Just one more word of warning for any potential viewers: don't see this movie in a theater packed with teenagers who either liked Donnie Darko or are going to see the latest PG-13 horror flick. I almost considered walking out because some annoying valley girls were incessantly giggling and whispering throughout and shrieking like all get-out whenever something even remotely shocking occurred. God. Teenagers.
Ni_Go_Zero_IchiNov 7, 2009 3:39 PM
Dec 28, 2009 4:26 PM

Mar 2009
Just saw Martyrs a french thriller/horror and I can honestly say it was one of the most unpleasent films I have seen in a long time. Think of David Lynch (in his early days) making Hostel and you would get a 1/4 of how mortifying this film truly is.

The story realy centres around a 20 ish girl who for some reason got physically tourtered but escaped and 15 years later gets revenge - but realy thats when the story starts.

The film contains alot of brutal violence and torture and even at times I felt really uncomfortable watching, but unlike Hostel or similar films this for me goes 4 steps futher in WTF are they doing this for.

Would I recommend this? In a word yes though you will probably suss out the plot half way through and the protaganists are cold (for obvious reasons if you watch it) the sheer intensity of the film, photography and lack of dialogue creates a great hour and three quarters.

Just don't take someone on a first date to see it :P

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Dec 29, 2009 9:53 AM

Aug 2008
Agora: It's the most meaningful movie I've seen in a long time. The dichotomy between religion and science, faith and wisdom is developed in a very simple and captivating way. And although the story takes place in the age of the Roman Empire, its subject couldn't be more contemporary. Great actors, great performances (Rachel Weisz, Max Minghella, Oscar Isaac). It's a beautiful movie. I strongly recommend it.
Dec 29, 2009 12:35 PM

Mar 2009
Poison_Ivy said:
Agora: It's the most meaningful movie I've seen in a long time. The dichotomy between religion and science, faith and wisdom is developed in a very simple and captivating way. And although the story takes place in the age of the Roman Empire, its subject couldn't be more contemporary. Great actors, great performances (Rachel Weisz, Max Minghella, Oscar Isaac). It's a beautiful movie. I strongly recommend it.

I have heard alot of good things about this but no UK release date set yet

Dec 31, 2009 9:10 PM

Mar 2008
I have watched a lot of movies since my last post, so I will just comment on the last few.

The Princess and the Frog: It was really cute! I enjoyed the story and the music was alright. 4/5.

Green Lantern: First Flight: It was good. Nicely done and very fun to watch. 4/5.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels: This is a rewatch and it was just as good when I first watched it. Made me laugh and noticed a few things that I didn't before. 4.5/5.

Sherlock Holmes: I really liked it. It was fun to watch. I though Downey and Law worked good together on screen. Looking forward to them making a seqeul. 4.5/5.

Superman Batman: Public Enemies: It was good. I don't remember the comic that well, so I can't remember if it followed it totally, but the story was fun. Daly and Conroy did a great job voicing Superman and Batman, as always. 4/5.
Jan 7, 2010 7:02 AM

Jul 2008
Finally saw Requienm for a Dream ... yeah ... not as good as I was expecting but still a damn good movie. And definately one of the first movies I've ever seen that was hailed as a Tour de Force and actually delivered the goods. Spot on direction, some spectacular performances (some bad ones too...), a fantastic score, good and dark plot, but something just wasn't quite there. I don't know what. Personally though, I like the director's other films Pi and The Fountain quite a bit better but I have to say that Requiem was well worth the watch, it just didn't quit live up to the hype that everyone gave me. 4 out of 5.

Also saw the live action version of Devilman ... yeah ... not near as good as I thought it was going to be from the trailer. Pretty not good actually. Mediocoratity at its finest. First off the actors they picked for Akira and his friend didn't look at all like what they should've. The demon designs, how few of them there actually were, were good but the CG itself was dated and not good at all, you could definately tell that it was CG and in the age of movies like Avatar there is no excuse for that especially with the rather large budget the movie had backing it. The plot was good but it felt as though the crammed everything into two hours, they definately could've toned it down and made a sequel. (Or done what they OVAs did and make three of them) The acting was, in several cases, piss poor and Devilman's half demon/half human form makeup looked like crap. I was supremely disappointed. 2 out of 5.

Saw the film version of MW, one of Tezuka's masterpieces, the film however is far from a masterpiece. It starts off excellent and the killings are badass but the rest of the film is slow and doesn't have the same feel as the manga. The parts were well cast but the direction was bad and the screenplay took the story in a whole different direction than the manga, a poorer direction in my opinion. Depressing to say the least. 2 out of 5.

Also went to see Up In the Air. Let me put it this way, all those good reviews you've been hearing about it, well they are correct. You definately want to check this one out. 5 out of 5. One of the best dramas I've seen in a looong time.
Jan 13, 2010 4:02 AM

Jul 2008
A Serious Man-

Good film solely for its excellent humor, spot-on characters, and constant swerves and mindfucks, but wow, the Coen Brothers really overdid it here.

Usually their films are a little inscrutable, but usually there's some underlying point. In this case, it raised a bunch of questions, and answered none of them, not even granting any type of resolution. (Which was also sadly predictable)

And while the main actor did a fine job, at some point, the character just became too grating as the audience was relentlessly beaten over the head with how passive and pathetic he is.

Anyways, check it out, but it's not worthy of some of they hype I've read.

Definitely not among the Coen Brothers' best.
Jan 17, 2010 8:32 PM
Jan 2009
Just watched TMNT on TV. It was... surprisingly good, and I say that as someone who was never a particularly huge fan of the franchise growing up. It had smooth pacing, slick visuals (albeit with some already-outdated CGI), a suitable (if not particularly memorable) score, top-notch voice acting, exciting action sequences, and a story just dark and nuanced enough to be compelling without losing sight of the fact that it is a kids' movie. (It kept me from changing the channel or going off to do something else, anyway, which is a lot more than can be said for most TV programming.)

7.5/10
Jan 19, 2010 10:27 AM

Mar 2009
44 Inch Chest

A british film by the same people who did Sexy Beast - though this is very different. It is more of a play as 98% of the film is set in one room. All the performances are outstanding if you have seen Nil by Mouth you will be pleased to hear Ray Winstone's performance IMO is even better, ofcourse John Hurt is great as an old school homophobic old geezer and those familiar with the TV series Lovejoy, the film also stars Ian McShane.

If you are expecting the usual British gangster flick then you maybe dissapointed, it is a film about a love lost and how a person copes.

I would reccomend not so much for the story but for the excellent characters and performances

8/10

Feb 13, 2010 3:18 PM

Mar 2009
Poison_Ivy said:

Having just watched this with a tear in my eye - have to agree with everything you wrote - a must see movie

Also I surprised myself as I usually avoid most George Clooney films but Up In the Air was really entertaining and I enjoyed his performance

Feb 17, 2010 6:36 AM

Jul 2008
slenderfall said:
44 Inch Chest

A british film by the same people who did Sexy Beast - though this is very different. It is more of a play as 98% of the film is set in one room. All the performances are outstanding if you have seen Nil by Mouth you will be pleased to hear Ray Winstone's performance IMO is even better, ofcourse John Hurt is great as an old school homophobic old geezer and those familiar with the TV series Lovejoy, the film also stars Ian McShane.

If you are expecting the usual British gangster flick then you maybe dissapointed, it is a film about a love lost and how a person copes.

I would reccomend not so much for the story but for the excellent characters and performances

8/10

This movie was absolutely crazy, recommended to all of you out there, I give it a 9 out of 10 only because sometimes the actors were hard to understand.
Feb 22, 2010 5:57 PM

Nov 2006
Batmanfreak said:
Green Lantern: First Flight: It was good. Nicely done and very fun to watch. 4/5.

Sherlock Holmes: I really liked it. It was fun to watch. I though Downey and Law worked good together on screen. Looking forward to them making a seqeul. 4.5/5

I agree with you on both of those. Green Lantern: First Flight was definitely enjoyable. Lots of action and a couple of nicely done twists throughout it.

I was actually quite skeptical as to how well Downey and Law would portray their characters...pleasantly I was surprised that they did VERY well. I loved the music too. Excellent.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2010 2:23 PM

Mar 2009
I too was pleasently shocked how good Sherlock Holmes was, I was more convinced with Downey's performance but am actually looking forward to a sequel

Just watched Ninja Assasin - dont you guys watch it unless you enjoy lots of blood and poor predictable plot

A good film was Welcome - a french film about the plight of a illegal immigrant trying to enter the UK from Calais - it may not really tell the whole story of the plight of the people in that situation as at times it is quite optomistic, but I found the bond between the two main charcters quite beleivable

The Fourth Kind - I fell asleep ;)
slenderfallFeb 27, 2010 5:49 PM

Mar 4, 2010 12:42 AM

Mar 2008
These are the movies I can remember watching since my last post.

Justice League: The New Frontier- It was really good. I enjoyed it a lot. I thought they adapted the comic quite well. 4.5/5.

Iron Man (animated movie) and Doctor Strange- Doctor Strange was better than Iron Man, but I don't think most of the marvel animated films are as good as the dc ones. Iron Man really bore me.

Hulk vs films- Hulk vs Wolverine was good, Deadpool was great in it. 4/5. Hulk vs Thor wasn't my cup of tea and I found it boring at parts. 3/5, so the whole thing got a 3.5/5.

Toy Story 1 & 2- These are both re-watches but they are both still great. 5/5 for both.

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow- It was okay. It was definitely for the younger crowd. 3/5.

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths- It was good. Not as good as many of the other DC animated movies, but I really enjoyed it. James Wood did a great job in it, but he always does. 4/5.

The Fall- I liked it. The cast was good, the look of the film was pretty, and the story wasn't bad. 3.7/5.

Dreamcatcher- It started out well, good characters and it was interesting, then becomes a generic sci-fi plot. It could have been so much better. 2/5.

Trick 'r Treat- I enjoyed it. It wasn't scary, but all of the tales were really interesting. 4/5.
Mar 6, 2010 3:56 PM

Mar 2009
Invictus

Being a big rugby fan and was part of the anti-aparthied movement I was going to like this film.

Well not so sure about that, the rugby scenes were good but Ifelt that the players held back - watching an interview with Clint he said that was the hardest part to film - well duh there were no other scenes would have been challenging

Morgan Freeman as Mandela I may be biased as I have met Mandela but though he probably is the most suitable actor to portray his role just did not convince me, because the script and direction made Nelson to be infallible which is not the case at al

As for Matt Damon he is in films I never get round to watching - I was not convinced of his performance

There were lots of secondary characters who I know who their real life counterparts were but had no signifcance

If your slightly interested watch this

6/10

Mar 17, 2010 12:07 AM

Nov 2006
Green Zone
I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I love war movies and this one was right up my ally. The plot was definitely well written. It gives you a very nice balance of suspense, drama, and action. Matt Damon once again gives a stupendous performance as well as all of the other actors, most of which I never knew beforehand. This movie made me want to cheer and cry during parts of it and I was hanging onto every word and action at the edge of my seat. It had an awesome ending which left me thinking, "Fuck yeah Damon! You get 'em.". Lol The only thing I thought it was lacking was music...but that's okay.
9.5/10
May 9, 2010 2:43 PM

Jul 2008
Finally managed to snag a copy of Three Kings and it is a must see for anyone who likes a good war movie. Reminescent of Kelly's Heroes but altogether more harrowing and just plain better. Great performances by all the actors in it, including Ice Cube which surprised me greatly, and it's also pretty damn funny. But it is certainly not a comedy, it's a war movie and a pretty violent one at that. It gets a 5/5 hands down.

Also got my hands on The Girlfriend Experience, and I thought I was going to love it being a Steven Soderbergh affair and having the tagline of 'See it with someone you ****.' Well long story short, I didn't really love it. It's a love story about the loveless, two people trying to find happiness and failing because they already had it and didn't realize it. It's just plain sad really. It's beautifully shot and directed, the scenes out of sequence and broken like the characters themselves. Sasha Grey did a damn good job in it as well but it just really wasn't quite of the caliber that I expect from Steven Soderbergh. Good and recommended but not an absolutely must-see. 4/5.

American Hardcore: If you are a punk rock fan and haven't seen this documentary, get off your ass and purchase it. It will blow your mind. If you're not a punk rock fan, watch it so you can see why people like me love the genre so damn much. Gritty, brutal, fast-paced, poignant, and violent the documentary is like the genre it sets out to discuss. Amazingly informative and with some of the greatest songs ever written in America making up the soundtrack, I highly recommend viewing several times. 4.5/5
May 11, 2010 6:11 PM

Jun 2009
"adam":

brilliant!

It was such an amazing movie. it broke the mold of rom-com cliches and gave us something few of them lack: a heart. One thing that must be mentioned is that it portrays aspergers syndrome so well! (This was the only reason i watched the movie since i myself have aspergers.) I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good romantic movie to watch, one that's well written and directed and shows a bit of originality. ^_^
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jul 25, 2010 1:03 PM
Jan 2009
Recently saw "The Kids Are All Right"; it was pretty good. I wasn't crazy about it, but I didn't particularly dislike it either. It's refreshing to see a same-sex relationship and homo/bisexual characters portrayed as ordinary human beings, and to have a movie that centers around these things without being completely obnoxious about it. Sadly, these facts alone put the film in a league all its own, regardless of the actual writing, acting and plot (which were all pretty good, but not fantastic). It did kind of edge into the subgenre of drama/comedy that I like to refer to as "White People Talking About Their Feelings" movies, a.k.a. movies that follow the melodrama of rich white people as they solve problems by talking about their feelings. It wasn't quite as bad in that regard as, say, "Cyrus", but I think I've had enough of those types of films for a while.
Jul 31, 2010 10:09 AM
Feb 2010
The Karate Kid (2010): I'm sorry I'm going to vent out my irritation because first and foremost, the martial art discipline is not Karate. For the Karate practitioners, it's an insults and it goes the same for the Wushu (Kung fu) practitioners. Second, wushu competitions are divided in to two events Taolu and Sanshou. Under Taolu (forms - Poomsae, Kata) there are categories. Sanshou is sparring. *sigh* Nyway, Jackie Chan, as usual, put up amazing fight sequences and how I wish competitions would be that high-tech :D I was entertained 'cept for the thing I mentioned above.

Let the Right One In: Amazing. There's vampire Twilight and there's this. The kids who play the main are outstanding in their portrayal of a vampire and a human both seeking for companionship.

NY I Love You: Five directors. Five Stories. One City. Natalie Portman acted in one of the stories and directed one of the stories. It's a portrayal of different lives living in a city. The diversity of lifestyles articulated by a couple of characters struggling in their own ways.
Jul 31, 2010 5:47 PM

Nov 2006
@amscribbled - I won't even see the new Karate Kid just because I think it's ridiculous and the old school version was way better. I mean, I LOVE Jackie Chan and pretty much any movie he's in, but I'm just really against the new one for some reason.

The Musketeer (2001) - I have seen so many musketeer movies from cartoon versions to real people that it's ridiculous. Lol My favorite is the one with Chris O'Donnell, Charlie Sheen, Keifer Sutherland, and Oliver Platt (what an awesome crew to have), so I was pretty iffy about this one. However, I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. The music was awesome, the fight/fencing scenes even better, a little bit of romance but not too mushy, and it had me at the edge of my seat. If you like to watch sword fights and whatnot, watch this movie.
Jul 31, 2010 7:01 PM

Jul 2008
ivorykeys said:

The Musketeer (2001) - I have seen so many musketeer movies from cartoon versions to real people that it's ridiculous. Lol My favorite is the one with Chris O'Donnell, Charlie Sheen, Keifer Sutherland, and Oliver Platt (what an awesome crew to have), so I was pretty iffy about this one.

Have you seen the one from 1973 with Charlton Heston, Faye Dunaway, Christopher Lee, Raquel Welch, etc? That's widely considered to be the best, and easily the favorite among the versions I've seen.
Aug 3, 2010 3:12 PM

Nov 2006
YoungVagabond said:
ivorykeys said:

The Musketeer (2001) - I have seen so many musketeer movies from cartoon versions to real people that it's ridiculous. Lol My favorite is the one with Chris O'Donnell, Charlie Sheen, Keifer Sutherland, and Oliver Platt (what an awesome crew to have), so I was pretty iffy about this one.

Have you seen the one from 1973 with Charlton Heston, Faye Dunaway, Christopher Lee, Raquel Welch, etc? That's widely considered to be the best, and easily the favorite among the versions I've seen.

I actually haven't seen that one yet. I'll definitely have to go out and rent it or something. Thanks so much for letting me know about it!! ^^
Aug 19, 2010 3:22 PM

Nov 2006
The Expendables (2010) - Honestly, with this movie I didn't give a crap about whether or not it had a plot...all I cared about was seeing pretty much every famous action star in it. It had pretty much every type of "action" in it, throwing knives, guns, explosions, martial arts, wrestling, car chases/fights, planes, a small army, etc...and seeing the new automatic shotgun in play was amazing. It was awesome seeing Jet Li, Jason Statham, Stallone, Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, and a bunch of others in a single movie. Plus there was still the "hot girl" and government corruption aspect to just about any action movie. Lol Basically, if you just want to sit down and see none stop action with things blowing up every 5 minutes and guys with huge muscles...this is your movie. I loved it.
ivorykeysAug 19, 2010 6:14 PM
Sep 11, 2010 10:07 AM

Jul 2008
The Runaways - Alright so I watched this movie last night and I went in having high expectations. I had wanted to see this film since I had heard about, I'm a huge fan of The Runaways and an even bigger fan of Joan Jett so when I sat down in front of the TV to watch it, I was excited as hell.

Within 30 minutes my excitement had dropped to 50%.

Within the hour it was down to about 15%

And by the hour and 30 minutes mark I was just praying the movie would hurry up and end.

First off, the casting was piss poor. You would think that when casting for a movie that would mostly be about the music, they would at least choose actresses who could actually sing like the original group. And that's where you would be dead wrong. Kristen Stewart, who I hated already, was selected to be my childhood sex goddess Joan Jett. And she fails horribly. At the beginning she tries singing and it sounds a lot like babies dying as they are chopped into little pieces. I was literally wincing, as was everyone else in the room who liked Joan Jett. Also, I play guitar, the bitch who was pretending to be Joan Jett wasn't even doing it correctly for the majority of the movie. At least after about the halfway point they had the actresses lipsynch to the songs, making them wonderful if you closed your eyes.

But then again maybe I'm being too harsh.

Suffice to say that this movie could've been brilliant, absolutely brilliant, but bad casting, worse acting, horrific singing (listen to Kristen Stewart try and sing 'I Love Rock and Roll', which I think is the best showcase for how crappy of a voice she has) and multiple segments that just seemed completely pointless just ruined it. I mean honestly there are so many segments about drug usage but when Cherie Currie overdoses it's horribly downplayed. But during the many long pointless segments dealing with drug usage I found myself thinking, 'Yeah we get it, they're rock stars, they do drugs, let's move on...' And then after suffering through all that, there's really no payoff at all.

The band breakup is also horribly downplayed and could've been made much better, I mean this is supposed to be the climax of the movie and half the people in the room didn't even realize that a breakup had happened. Seriously it was that bad. But I think I've bashed it enough.

One good thing about the movie is Michael Shannon's role as Kim Fowley, seriously that is the only good thing at all about this movie. He is just so over the top, just like the real Kim Fowley, it's amazing. If it weren't for him I would've left the room after about the hour mark. However one good performance alone can't hold an entire movie together, and certainly not a movie like this one with so many flaws.

I wanted to love it, I really did.

1 out of 5, and that's being generous.
Sep 22, 2010 1:21 PM

Nov 2006
Tristan and Isolde (2006) - I've been wanting to see this movie since it came out, so I'm really pleased that I was finally able to. I'm honestly not a big fan of James Franco (especially after his movie "Annapolis"), but I really did like him in this one. I think it was cast really well and they didn't play up the romance and drama and make it cheesy, but it definitely wasn't on the back burner. The movie was exactly what I expected it to be...a little history, a good amount of fighting, drama, romance, and tragedy. It definitely had a Romeo and Juliet feel to it where a young man and woman from opposing families fall in love and have an affair. I enjoyed the ending and I was happy to see that it wasn't a fairy tale type where everything ends happily ever after (I won't say anymore as to not ruin it for others). The accents were touch and go and I think maybe those could have been done a little better or have more emphasis...more so with the Irish accent than British.

I give this movie a 9 out of 10.
ivorykeysSep 22, 2010 1:25 PM
Sep 28, 2010 7:29 AM

Nov 2006
Jumper (2008) - You know, a lot of people that saw this movie said that it wasn't very good, but I have to disagree. Sure it wasn't brilliant, but I think it was still quite decent. I especially enjoyed the ending because it leaves you to imagine what's going to happen to Hayden Christensen's character and his relationship with his mother and girlfriend. Speaking of Hayden, I'm not a huge fan of him especially after his performance in the three newest Star Wars Episodes, but I have to say he did an okay job in this movie. I kind of wish they didn't leave every character's ending a cliffhanger though. The music was somewhat lacking I thought and some of the fight scenes could have been better, but overall, I enjoyed it.

I give this movie a 7 out of 10.
Nov 14, 2010 3:49 PM

Nov 2006
Defiance (2008) - One word for all of you...EPIC! This movie was amazing. Based on a true story about three Jewish brothers who lead a resistance against the Germans during World War II. Absolutely touching and inspiring. Great cast of actors including Daniel Craig from "007: Quantum of Solace". Plot was incredible (a tad bit slow in the beginning but it builds up)...music is fantastic...has a very good amount of action and fight scenes...no sexual content...does contain some sad parts of course...and the ending was brilliant. I DEFINITELY suggest seeing this movie if you haven't already.

I give it a 10 out of 10.
Dec 21, 2010 5:41 PM

Nov 2006
Tron (2010) - Honestly I was disappointed with this movie. I mean, it wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. It definitely had quite a few "slow" (boring) moments in which I found myself literally yawning in the theater but the cast wasn't bad. Jeff Bridges characters annoyed me in that he was speaking 70s and 80's lingo like "man", "far out", "radical" etc. but it was pretty cool to see him playing two different characters in the same movie. I wasn't thrilled with the ending either and I think they could have done a MUCH better job with it. The music was awesome though and they kept a lot of the music from the old Tron. The effects and graphics were amazing though and I especially enjoyed watching the scene where they were on the Light Cycles fighting. There were some flashbacks from the first Tron which were great...but all in all...I would've been fine waiting for it to come out on DVD.

I give it a 6 out of 10.
Dec 27, 2010 7:40 AM

Jul 2008
Speaking of the new Tron, this is already one of my favorite review of all time;

http://www.bigempire.com/filthy/
Dec 27, 2010 7:40 AM

Jul 2008
Speaking of the new Tron, this is already one of my favorite review of all time;

http://www.bigempire.com/filthy/
Dec 30, 2010 5:07 PM
Aug 2010
I watched House, a 1977 Japanese horror/comedy directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi. It's like a really bad b-side horror film with a great sense of humor, the surreal shots were really fun, and I was smiling through out the entire film. 4/5.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Favorite Romance/Romance-esque Movies

FALLEN101 - Feb 23, 2010

5 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:17 AM

» Favorite Flicks

1eyedjoker - Dec 28, 2008

22 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:06 AM

» Least favorite movies.

removed-user - Jun 17, 2009

21 by YoungVagabond »»
Jan 10, 2011 11:27 PM

» What's your 'plan to watch' list?

Milk-plus__ - Jan 26, 2009

13 by sunup »»
Jan 10, 2011 3:35 PM

» New Trailer Thread ( 1 2 )

1eyedjoker - Apr 3, 2009

78 by FALLEN101 »»
Feb 27, 2010 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.