Forum Settings
Forums

Otakus VS anime fans which of us are in the majority?

New
Are you Otaku or Anime fan?
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 11, 2013 3:31 PM

Feb 2012
DateYutaka said:
VictorVonDoom said:
DateYutaka said:

Post densha Otoko times times happend

Okay which means what? I can't tell by your post whether that's good or bad.

after the novel and Dorama Densha otoko [ the train man in 2004-05 [ it got made in to two manga after the drama] the pubic view of otaku changed abit in Japan
for example Last time i went to T I A F there was alot of people there who were not in there element in same with hell this year Comiket

comiket is was very much hardcore only pre DO days now its bigger and better cause Casual go too ones who say pre 2006 would have never been near the big site on con day

Well good for you guys, I guess.
May 11, 2013 3:34 PM

Dec 2012
Anime fan, it's just a side hobby rather than a main hobby now. I prefer doing other stuff rather than watching anime.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

May 11, 2013 3:35 PM

Jan 2013
mariosgrp said:
i just scanned the thread checking answers and profiles
the conclusion was this:

most of the people that claim to not being an otaku ARE AN OTAKU but simply deny it.

you can not possibly not be an otaku when you have 150+ days of anime watched.
most of the people that voted anime fans are "tsundere" otaku's

btw, in this reply im using the word otaku as it was explained in the first message.

This indeed could be the case, and I thought that something is wrong with pool results.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

May 11, 2013 3:44 PM

Mar 2012
I'm both an otaku and anime fan and proud of it!

I have a waifu and sleep with a dakimakura but I also have many friends and a social life.
May 11, 2013 4:04 PM

Dec 2012
wukp said:
Why should I find word Otaku offensive when I dedicated my life to animes and I am not ashamed to admit it?

This guy is either a pathetic retard or a troll. Or both. I'm going with both.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 11, 2013 4:14 PM

Sep 2011
3nvy said:
wukp said:
Why should I find word Otaku offensive when I dedicated my life to animes and I am not ashamed to admit it?

Yeah because he doesn't realize that you don't have to be an Otaku to dedicate your life to anime.
May 11, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
wukp said:
mariosgrp said:
the conclusion was this:

most of the people that claim to not being an otaku ARE AN OTAKU but simply deny it.

btw, in this reply im using the word otaku as it was explained in the first message.

This indeed could be the case, and I thought that something is wrong with pool results.

You're being far too optimistic with the term 'Otaku'.
Yes, they give anime(It's anime not 'animes') high priority in there life, but to an extreme. They can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars in the hobby easy and even go as far as giving up other important parts of their lives up in order for the 'hobby' or at this point obsession.

Just because people watch or read a lot of manga/anime doesn't make them an otaku. We don't have to call ourselves that just because we enjoy it more then the other guy and a lot of the things people have read/watched are accumulated over years and years and keep in mind do have lives. For example, I may not have as many days of manga/anime added up compared to others(Although I never update watching/reading until completion), but I do watch and read more then your average Joe, but keep my hobby in check, as I'm in college, work and keep my social life intact all while enjoying these things and even putting some money into it.

Like I said earlier though, people love to label themselves, so if you want to label yourself an Otaku feel free to, but as you can see, most of us here on MAL don't even consider ourselves Otaku and even gag at the thought of them, along with weeaboos.

And before DateYutaka or anyone else tries to barge in and tell me otherwise, I'm referring to how the term 'Otaku' is being used by people in the States among other countries, not Japan.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 11, 2013 4:36 PM

Jan 2013
3nvy said:
wukp said:

So I am a pathetic retard because I find something that I am passion t about and I want to dedicate my life to it?

May 11, 2013 4:42 PM

Mar 2012
wukp said:
3nvy said:
wukp said:

So I am a pathetic retard because I find something that I am passion t about and I want to dedicate my life to it?

Since you've essentially dedicated your life to consuming, yes.
Yes you are.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
May 11, 2013 4:48 PM
Mar 2011
Ragix said:
wukp said:
mariosgrp said:
the conclusion was this:

You're being far too optimistic with the term 'Otaku'.
Yes, they give anime(It's anime not 'animes') high priority in there life, but to an extreme. They can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars in the hobby easy and even go as far as giving up other important parts of their lives up in order for the 'hobby' or at this point obsession.

Just because people watch or read a lot of manga/anime doesn't make them an otaku. We don't have to call ourselves that just because we enjoy it more then the other guy and a lot of the things people have read/watched are accumulated over years and years and keep in mind do have lives. For example, I may not have as many days of manga/anime added up compared to others(Although I never update watching/reading until completion), but I do watch and read more then your average Joe, but keep my hobby in check, as I'm in college, work and keep my social life intact all while enjoying these things and even putting some money into it.

Like I said earlier though, people love to label themselves, so if you want to label yourself an Otaku feel free to, but as you can see, most of us here on MAL don't even consider ourselves Otaku and even gag at the thought of them, along with weeaboos.

And before DateYutaka or anyone else tries to barge in and tell me otherwise, I'm referring to how the term 'Otaku' is being used by people in the States among other countries, not Japan.

it sould not be used in the west at all cuase they have no idea what it means cause of the fact its an word in this context that has no Translation and as a Trem it means more than Just for anime
this is not a deferntion debate
you cann have
train Otaku
Idol otaku [ worst of the lot]
Military Otaku
Sci fi Otaku [ that some times crosses in to Anime Otaku]
Puroresu Otaku

Thats why i hate the Tearm it Panders to otaku when people discribe 1 anime or another thats that US Born Fallacy not knowing what Otaku means in this Context so panders to what from of Otaku
idolmaster Idol Otaku
Lucky Star - Anime Otaku and this is one of the few that does this
Tetsuko no Tabi - Train Otaku

just to name three

DateYutakaMay 11, 2013 5:06 PM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 11, 2013 4:52 PM

May 2012
I just watch anime.
May 11, 2013 5:10 PM

Nov 2011
DateYutaka said:

it sould not be used in the west at all cuase they have no idea what it means cause of the fact its an word in this context that has no Translation and as a Trem it means more than Just for anime

I agree, when I first got into anime I did not know that the term "otaku" held much meaning aside from really liking anime, but that's thanks to how the West took that word and twisted it to mean something different. Unfortunately, most people who use the word in the West have no idea what it actually means in Japan and how it can be used for different things aside from anime, like you said so yourself.

Negative-Travis said:
wukp said:
3nvy said:
wukp said:

Yes you are.

You had me up until you said 'dedicate your life'. Nothing wrong with having a passion for your hobby, but to dedicate your life for it is pretty fucking silly. Do you know what? Go ahead, call yourself an otaku, I think you deserve the title.

As you can see though even a lot of us 'anime fans' don't think too fond of 'Otakus' or 'weeaboos'.
May 11, 2013 5:12 PM
Mar 2011
Ragix said:
DateYutaka said:

I agree, when I first got into anime I did not know that the term "otaku" held much meaning aside from really liking anime, but that's thanks to how the West took that word and twisted it to mean something different. Unfortunately, most people who use the word in the West have no idea what it actually means in Japan and how it can be used for different things aside from anime, like you said so yourself.

Negative-Travis said:
wukp said:
3nvy said:
wukp said:

Yes you are.

You had me up until you said 'dedicate your life'. Nothing wrong with having a passion for your hobby, but to dedicate your life for it is pretty fucking silly. Do you know what? Go ahead, call yourself an otaku, I think you deserve the title.

As you can see though even a lot of us 'anime fans' don't think too fond of 'Otakus' or 'weeaboos'.

Otaku does not have an S its like putting an s for animes itrs wrong
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 11, 2013 5:17 PM

Nov 2011
DateYutaka said:
Ragix said:

That's another thing that some people don't get which I was pointing out.
Even in the original post the guy calls anime, 'animes' and otaku 'otakus', etc.
Which is why I put quotations around the words.
May 11, 2013 5:18 PM

Mar 2012
DateYutaka said:

So's putting an R in "it's".

This has been done to death, everybody in this thread should already know better.
May 11, 2013 5:19 PM
Mar 2011
Ragix said:
DateYutaka said:
Ragix said:

That's another thing that some people don't get which I was pointing out.
Even in the original post the guy calls anime, 'animes' and otaku 'otakus', etc.
Which is why I put quotations around the words.

we seem to be agreeing lol thats good but good for me to have to members of MAL agrre with me in one day

May 11, 2013 5:21 PM
Mar 2011
Negative-Travis said:
DateYutaka said:

This has been done to death, everybody in this thread should already know better.

that was an honest Typo not like Putting an S Otaku

May 11, 2013 5:33 PM

Aug 2012
Otaku is just japanese for geek

geek
/gēk/
Noun
1. An unfashionable or socially inept person.
2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
May 11, 2013 5:34 PM
Mar 2011
Ghostony said:

in te west do you get idol geeks

May 11, 2013 5:38 PM

Mar 2012
DateYutaka said:
Ghostony said:

People who dedicate themselves to following celebrities?

You bet.
May 11, 2013 5:39 PM

Jun 2012
Negative-Travis said:
DateYutaka said:

You never fail to crack me up.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

May 11, 2013 5:44 PM
Mar 2011
Negative-Travis said:
DateYutaka said:
Ghostony said:

People who dedicate themselves to following celebrities?

You bet.

Small world guess
but Idol Otaku are the worst subset in Japan how many Careers they messed up its byond the joke it was the Idol Otaku fault the whole Kago Ai Thing happened
yes while some are to big to get to do any damage to the Career of the ones that are not can be both vergy good to the idol or Career Killingly bad for them

May 11, 2013 5:45 PM

Oct 2010
Mangas, animes, otakus

God damn, this is reaching the level of obsession. Can't people accept that in a casual forum certain grammar rules aren't even supposed to be applied with such academic accuracy?
May 11, 2013 5:53 PM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
Mangas, animes, otakus

God damn, this is reaching the level of obsession. Can't people accept that in a casual forum certain grammar rules aren't even supposed to be applied with such academic accuracy?

Grammar doesn't take a day off, dammit.
May 11, 2013 5:56 PM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
Mangas, animes, otakus

well if people moan at me for grammar i wil moan back at them

if anime was ever a Pural fromed Word it would animesu i i know that look strange in Romanji but in Kana it would make sense is it ever was needed witch it is not going to be ever written like that

cause basic rules of Japanese
99% percent of word end in a Vowel sound A E I O U
other than that its an N like Nihon or Hon
yes even word in Katakana are like this when for examplle go to the Japanese Start Srceen of any Ys game the Kana wil say I-su if romanized

May 11, 2013 5:58 PM

Feb 2013
What's the dividing line?
May 11, 2013 5:59 PM
Mar 2011
Kezone said:

there is none its what people see you as its not how you see you sekf

May 11, 2013 5:59 PM

Mar 2012
Kezone said:
Do you have any other hobbies?
May 11, 2013 6:14 PM

Feb 2013
Negative-Travis said:
Kezone said:

.............. Some.

Watching Anime is by far my biggest hobby, but I also read books, watch other types of shows, talk to my friends who don't watch anime, try to write, go on tons of walks, and stuff like that. I can probably still be classified as an otaku though.
May 11, 2013 6:19 PM

May 2013
Gorim said:
I'm an anime fan and while I certainly pity weeaboos and otaku I don't really care that much it's their life.

mariosgrp said:

Yes we can.

-.- nice argument.
May 11, 2013 6:45 PM

Jun 2008
Anime fan.
May 11, 2013 6:50 PM
Mar 2011
Gorim said:
mariosgrp said:
Gorim said:
I'm an anime fan and while I certainly pity weeaboos and otaku I don't really care that much it's their life.

mariosgrp said:

Yes we can.

-.- nice argument.

I didn't think I needed to make that any more clear. Since I've watched over 150 days and I'm not an otaku wouldn't that make your argument false? You know yourself whether you're otaku or not. Well this only can be used with a person that doesn't live in selfdeception and has certain understanding what the word otaku actually means.

As someone said before being an otaku doesn't mean you love your chinese cartoons more than someone else does.

yyou using it in the wrong context too

May 11, 2013 6:58 PM

Mar 2012
I love it when threads diverge to the point that grammar takes precedence over making a point.
May 11, 2013 7:09 PM

Jun 2012
Negative-Travis said:
I love it when threads diverge to the point that grammar takes precedence over making a point.
May 11, 2013 7:19 PM

Jan 2013
Gorim said:
As someone said before being an otaku doesn't mean you love your chinese cartoons more than someone else does.

Actually yes it does if you love something in that measure that you nearly worship it you definitely love it more than someone who just like that same thing but only as a fun hobby. You prove my theory when you called animals Chinese cartoons.

May 11, 2013 7:33 PM

Dec 2012
I can't stand Otakus, almost everyone (if not all) of them are weebs, they always have this japanese things and shirts and w/e and they love spreading anime all over people's faces and they just get mad when you joke calling anime "chinese cartoons".
May 11, 2013 7:37 PM

Jan 2013
i guess im somewhere in the middle
May 11, 2013 7:37 PM

May 2012
jal90 said:
Tommk said:
jal90 said:
Tommk said:
I'm a potato

And anime fan I guess.

No, a potato. At least, let me think I'm one of them.

TeamPotato

My bad, I was just seconding your message, not answering. Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps on fixing it:

Thank you
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
May 11, 2013 7:49 PM
May 2013
Negative-Travis said:
Kezone said:

Question! Does masturbation count as a hobby?
May 11, 2013 7:50 PM

Mar 2012
TehBlindSamurai said:
Negative-Travis said:
Kezone said:

No.
May 11, 2013 7:51 PM

Dec 2012
Negative-Travis said:
TehBlindSamurai said:
Negative-Travis said:
Kezone said:

No.

According the heavily dependable Wikipedia, a hobby is:

"An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

So, why not?
May 12, 2013 2:18 AM

Apr 2013
use to watch anime to pass time now its like 'nah can't go out Oreimo comes out today, can't do homework Henneko comes out today' stuff like that
May 12, 2013 2:24 AM

Jul 2012
In the west "otaku" is often used to describe people who are anime fans.
In Japan its used to describe people who are extremely dangerously over obsessive of things, which may include anime.
So how can one answer this question? Would it not depend upon the person and how he or she views the definition of "otaku" and where that person may be from?
May 12, 2013 2:32 AM

Apr 2011
wukp said:
Gorim said:

Actually yes it does if you love something in that measure that you nearly worship it you definitely love it more than someone who just like that same thing but only as a fun hobby. You prove my theory when you called animals Chinese cartoons.

I don't think anyone here is calling animals "Chinese cartoons".
May 12, 2013 2:34 AM

Sep 2012
Battlechili1 said:
In the west "otaku" is often used to describe people who are anime fans.

It's their problem for labeling themselves with a foreing word without consider the original meaning.
Using labels is dumb to begin with. People shut themselves into a fucking word.
May 12, 2013 5:45 AM

Mar 2012
I consider myself an anime fan. One time I was talking about anime with one of my "non-anime" friends and he asked me if I was an otaku. I was hesitant but I said no, since I don't like going to cons, dressing up as my favorite anime characters, and collecting anime figures or collectibles. I watch a lot of anime, but I don't get immersed with it like otaku do.
May 12, 2013 6:35 AM

May 2013
Otakus and weeaboos are equally annoying, can't you be a normal fan like everyone else?
May 12, 2013 6:52 AM

Apr 2012
Otaku represent! #swag
May 12, 2013 7:46 AM

Mar 2013
Durbikins said:
Otaku represent! #swag

^This.
May 12, 2013 7:50 AM

Jan 2013
yhunata said:
wukp said:
Gorim said:

I don't think anyone here is calling animals "Chinese cartoons".

Sorry it is the Gingers fault. But that doesn't change my point.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

85 by Satyr_icon »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

44 by Kruszer »»
6 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

94 by phantomic109 »»
7 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

121 by FFandMMfan »»
14 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7158 by damiJESUS »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.