Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2013 9:10 AM

Jul 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the only KyoAni show that hasn't been licensed anywhere outside of Japan? Hell, Tamako Market was licensed by Sentai before the 1st episode even started airing in Japan.

The 11th (and final) BD volume of Hyouka has just come out in Japan, which begs the question - how is this still not licensed anywhere?

What gives? Why no love for Hyouka? I want to own Hyouka on DVD, don't care if it's dubbed or simply subbed. Anything.

Anyone reckon they know why it hasn't been licensed? Does anyone think it still has a chance?

(and before anyone says anything - Nichijou was licensed by Madman in Australia - the whole series is already out on DVD here)
Apr 28, 2013 9:12 AM

Nov 2011
They just arent curious enough to license it.
The Art of Eight
Dec 2, 2013 7:44 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
It'll happen. I suspect Sentai will eventually pick it up.
Dec 14, 2013 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
It's been quite awhile now, and i'm really surprised. KyoAni moe series normally get licensed immediately. This is the only KyoAni series in recent memory to not get licensed.
Dec 24, 2013 6:28 AM

Oct 2012
And there actually isn't a good reason as to why its not licensed. Hyouka sales were actually pretty good. To Kyoto Animation it was definitely a minor success. I don't see why its not licensed either. >:o
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Feb 2, 2014 3:32 AM

Jun 2013
It should definitely get licensed. Don't know when that will be though. I'd have to make due with the subs we already have for now until then I suppose.
Mar 1, 2014 9:37 AM

May 2013
Seriously, this is one of the few shows I actually want to own. :/
Mar 10, 2014 3:06 AM

Feb 2013
I want this licensed and dubbed. Funimation has got to do this, but I doubt they will.
Apr 12, 2014 12:38 PM
Nov 2013
It's kind of crazy it STILL isn't licensed.
Apr 12, 2014 9:34 PM
Apr 2008
Going two years its still the biggest mystery ever
Apr 13, 2014 3:02 AM

May 2009
NISA would be best for it. Their boxes for Denpa and Nichobros were rich. And no dubs.
Apr 13, 2014 3:47 AM

Feb 2013
bastek66 said:
NISA would be best for it. Their boxes for Denpa and Nichobros were rich. And no dubs.

Yes dubs. There is no reason to deliberately cut that out, but if there was a budget I would obviously understand. This dub hatred is really baseless
Apr 13, 2014 3:48 AM

Jan 2013
It's just because this show isn't as intellectually relevant to Americans as Tamako Market was.
Apr 13, 2014 5:11 AM

Feb 2012
I asked an Australian anime licensing and distribution company representative for this weekend at Supanova Melbourne about whether they had any interest in licensing it for release and how I thought it was weird that no one outside of Japan has licensed it yet.

I'm leaving who I asked and who they worked for out of this just to be safe,
but basically they told me that they actually put in a bid to license hyouka back when it was airing but they never received a response.
Very strange if you ask me. This also got me thinking about how at the same time that Hyouka was airing kyoto animation appeared (i believe?) to have split away from kadakowa as Hyouka is the last show to adapt a kadakowa book series. all others since then have been self published by Kyoto Animation. (except that new show about theme parks whatever its called)

So yeah, just thought I'd let you guys know what I found out.
Apr 13, 2014 5:25 AM
Apr 2008
computerandy9 said:
I asked an Australian anime licensing and distribution company representative for this weekend at Supanova Melbourne about whether they had any interest in licensing it for release and how I thought it was weird that no one outside of Japan has licensed it yet.

I'm leaving who I asked and who they worked for out of this just to be safe,
but basically they told me that they actually put in a bid to license hyouka back when it was airing but they never received a response.
Very strange if you ask me. This also got me thinking about how at the same time that Hyouka was airing kyoto animation appeared (i believe?) to have split away from kadakowa as Hyouka is the last show to adapt a kadakowa book series. all others since then have been self published by Kyoto Animation. (except that new show about theme parks whatever its called)

So yeah, just thought I'd let you guys know what I found out.

If its true its quite depressing to see they ignored the bid.
On a side note this show has been aired on Animax Asia and Taiwan so I find it weird they didn't licensed it to NA
Apr 13, 2014 5:44 AM

Feb 2012
Deathnosis said:

If its true its quite depressing to see they ignored the bid.
On a side note this show has been aired on Animax Asia and Taiwan so I find it weird they didn't licensed it to NA

I didn't know it had aired on other asian networks. That is interesting. Yeah it's very strange how they just ignored the bid. The person I asked made it pretty clear that they received no response to the bid. Maybe I should have asked whether or not they normally receive decline/reject messages when they make unsuccessful bids.
Apr 13, 2014 7:53 AM

Nov 2010
Piegoose said:
bastek66 said:

Yes dubs. There is no reason to deliberately cut that out, but if there was a budget I would obviously understand. This dub hatred is really baseless
Yes there is, when you have a hybrid dvd, you have to specifically set it to Japanese with subs every time you watch it. So when you don't have a remote or are watching tons of shows it's inconvenient.
Apr 13, 2014 7:54 AM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Piegoose said:
bastek66 said:

Yes there is, when you have a hybrid dvd, you have to specifically set it to Japanese with subs every time you watch it. So when you don't have a remote or are watching tons of shows it's inconvenient.

Thats why you get Xbone and use kinect to do it.

*The previous message was NOT a paid testimonial. Microsoft and its affiliates were not involved and nobody was threatened with legal action.*
Apr 14, 2014 12:26 AM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Piegoose said:
bastek66 said:

If you have a somewhat recent dvd/bluray player, it should remember the option you set it to, while also probably even remembering where you left off.

Also, dats selfish n greedy yall'~!
Apr 14, 2014 12:57 PM
Sep 2011
Maybe because there is footage of Virtual On in it that's causing licensing issues? I don't know...
Apr 14, 2014 1:06 PM

Nov 2010
Piegoose said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Piegoose said:
bastek66 said:

If you have a somewhat recent dvd/bluray player, it should remember the option you set it to, while also probably even remembering where you left off.

Not mine and is that with each disc? Like if I change discs or anime that it will go with Japanese audio with subtitles?
Apr 14, 2014 5:01 PM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Piegoose said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Piegoose said:
bastek66 said:

Not mine and is that with each disc? Like if I change discs or anime that it will go with Japanese audio with subtitles?

Mine will yeah. Like I can put in a cd I watched like 5 days ago and it'll remember. I'm not sure how long it takes to forget or how it works, but it's worked before. Also the settings wouldn't be that hard to change anyways.

More people would be happy for a dub option than the people that would be slightly irritated who don't have a remote nearby.
Apr 16, 2014 12:50 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Piegoose said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Piegoose said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Piegoose said:
bastek66 said:

Mine will yeah. Like I can put in a cd I watched like 5 days ago and it'll remember. I'm not sure how long it takes to forget or how it works, but it's worked before. Also the settings wouldn't be that hard to change anyways.

More people would be happy for a dub option than the people that would be slightly irritated who don't have a remote nearby.

Let's also consider the fact that dub quality has increased dramatically over the past decade. So much so most arguments against them are very poor indeed, and what they really boil down to is "I HAV TO WATCH MAH ANIMU IN NIHONGO CUZ ENGLISH IS STOOPID!!".

Not to say there aren't bad dubs however. They're just very much few and far between.
Apr 17, 2014 9:50 AM

Feb 2013
Todd_ said:

Let's also consider the fact that dub quality has increased dramatically over the past decade. So much so most arguments against them are very poor indeed, and what they really boil down to is "I HAV TO WATCH MAH ANIMU IN NIHONGO CUZ ENGLISH IS STOOPID!!".

Not to say there aren't bad dubs however. They're just very much few and far between.

I actually haven't seen a truly bad dub yet. The only thing I would complain about though is that there are less english actors out there so you see duplicates alot.
Jun 9, 2014 4:51 PM
Mar 2013
this wait is killing me...is it anyway better to just buy the bootleg DVD for Hyouka? ;O
May 28, 2015 2:58 PM

Dec 2014
Kyoto Animation has a tendency of making their license very expensive because they know its in high demand and they won't reduce the price apparently. So license companies don't bother buying the license for the show. I think Free first season, Nichijou and Hyouka was never released in the UK/US either.
Jun 1, 2015 10:02 PM

Nov 2014
Tis rly sad

Jun 1, 2015 10:03 PM

Apr 2014
Maybe because they know it wouldn't sell well.
Jun 5, 2015 6:51 AM

Jan 2012
I don't really imagine many people from the west liking this.

I remembered watching this while it was airing and giving it to a few friends to watch because I enjoyed it a lot , only being met with this response.

"What $#!T is this?? Nothing happens where is the action and deep plot. I'm rather just going to re-watch Death Note ".

Followed by me face-palming as I knew they missed the entire point of the story.
Honestly though , 90% of the anime that sell well in the west is Shounen (Naruto and Bleach) , psychological thrillers (Like Death Note and Code Geass) and sappy tearjerkers like Clannad.

Hyouka on the other hand... not so much.
Mar 26, 2016 4:56 AM
Mar 2016
I loved Hyouka. Just absolutely adored it. Just really good.
Really disappointed that Madman can't get it here in Australia.
Sep 2, 2016 7:28 AM
Aug 2015
As said above, it's not relevant to the US market... I read that and gritted my teeth, this series has lots of western references and is very much told in the style of classic fictional mystery sleuths... but all the reference were to UK novelists.

Annoyingly we in the UK only get anime if it first gets licensed in the US; and you can certainly forget an English dub if the US don't do it.

Still, we have the option of importing Japan DVDs (same region as UK) if it didn't cost up to twenty times as much as a domestic release.

UK BluRay region is the same as Australia, who've had some great releases months ahead of the UK and usually cheaper too.
Sep 2, 2016 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
The logic from Volume 3 made this series too 'untranslatable' for english speakers, just like Gintama has way too many jokes that are based on Japanese puns and if they were to translate it to english (or any other language) many jokes would be lost in the translation,

The logic from the mystery found in vol. 3 is based on the Japanese alphabet which has a different order than the enlish one ->(Eng: a, b, c, d, e | Jap: あ/a - い/i - う/u - え/e - お/o) and if you don't have a prior knowledge about it, it makes it really hard to understand, while fansubbers and LN translators may add translations notes at the footer of the chapter (or a the top of the screen in the anime), official translators don't do this, for professionalism's sake, they just add the explanations about Japanese terms throughout the text (and from what I've heard they tend to remove honorifics as well).

In vol. 3 "Juumo(n)ji" stole artifacts from each club following the order from Japanese alphabet and here's an example of how this logic is applied to the incident that happened in this volume:

* A Capella Club ([A]KAPERA BU アカペラ部) - (Drink)
* Go Club ([I]GO BU 囲碁部) - (Go Stones)
* Fortune Telling Association ([U]RANAI KEN 占い研) - Wheel of Fortune ([U]NMEI NO WA 運命の輪)
* Gardening Club ([E]NGEI BU 園芸部) - (Water Gun)
* The Cooking Club ([O] RYOURI KEN お料理研) - Ladle ([O]TAMA おたま)

| A → I → U →E → O |

And to be able to translate this to english they'd have to explain nearly everything about the Japanese alphabet to the reader and because of this I think that they just gave up on translating it, and also as much as I love this series, I'm pretty sure that not everyone shares this same opinion because when compared to other shows:

this is what most people think of this show:

I mean c'mon the novel is called Koten-bu/古典部 which literally translates as 'Classic Literature Club' and it's common sense to know that everything related to classic literature is doomed to be labeled as 'boring'.
removed-userSep 2, 2016 12:36 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.