Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 28, 2013 6:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, kind of a calm episode. I still liked it though.

Well, I'm glad Ledo and Chamber are still helping out and getting along with others. Okay and I see rain as well. So I guess the planet has regular weather. That's kinda interesting. Tears were also shed in a brief moment ;.; interesting.

Apr 28, 2013 6:29 AM
Dec 2012
Not much developed. It felt like a filler.

I laughed when he was left with a bill. His submissiveness got on my nerves.
Apr 28, 2013 6:37 AM

May 2009
eminagnam said:
Not much developed. It felt like a filler.

Is's set up, also backstory and characterization.
Apr 28, 2013 7:17 AM
Dec 2012
bastek66 said:

Is's set up, also backstory and characterization.

I think the episode would've been fine if this was a slice-of-life anime. But since it's a mecha anime with only 12 episodes, I expected some tense and exciting development in every episode.

That said, I find the whole plot interesting. A bit reminded me of Planet of the Apes. I have a high expectation for this anime.
Apr 28, 2013 8:00 AM

Jun 2009
I think it was a nice episode. Getting a flashback of Ledo's past and seeing him are highlights of this episode for me.
Apr 28, 2013 8:17 AM

May 2009
eminagnam said:
I think the episode would've been fine if this was a slice-of-life anime. But since it's a mecha anime with only 12 episodes, I expected some tense and exciting development in every episode.

Sorry but it's not mecha anime like Valvrave or MJP, robots are only backgrounds and one of them is one of main characters. If you expected action in every episode you should check official art and news about it before
Apr 28, 2013 8:25 AM
Apr 2013
There was another post here wondering how you guys found this episode, and it seems to have been deleted. Is this not allowed?

In any case, could one of you please be so kind as to inform the rest of us where we might watch it?
Apr 28, 2013 8:54 AM
Dec 2012
bastek66 said:

Sorry but it's not mecha anime like Valvrave or MJP, robots are only backgrounds and one of them is one of main characters. If you expected action in every episode you should check official art and news about it before

Ah OK. Didn't know that. Watching previous episodes where they fought in space and against pirates, I expected it to be a tense survival story like Planet of the Apes and Lord of the Flies if not constant action. I just don't wanna think "Wish the series had been like this from early on" when the series is over. Maoyuu was enough for it.
Apr 28, 2013 9:32 AM

Oct 2007
bastek66 said:
eminagnam said:

Agreed this is definitely one of those recent flock of shows that just happens to have a giant robot as an element, but where mecha combat really isn't the focus of the story. As someone who came here mostly as a mecha fan I can say I'd be more disappointed if this season didn't have Valvrave and a little MJP on the side which do put a lot of focus on mecha combat (at least more than this show does) and more traditional mecha fare since it's been a while since I've seen that in a TV series. Shows like Star Driver, Gargantia and Rinne no Lagrange just don't cut it for me in that area.

That's all good though cause that lets this show focus on it's own thing for the time being. It definitely has more solid footing and more obvious pace at this stage than the other two shows (then again at 12 episodes it kind of has to), but it's honestly been a bit less exciting for me in the past couple episodes too.
Apr 28, 2013 10:24 AM

Jun 2012
Seeing Ledo slowly finding the humanity within himself I find really fascinating. His way of life and thinking previously had been very clear cut so it's understandable to see how he thinks the Gargantia's way of life is odd.

I'm also enjoying the little details you can easily miss if you're not paying attention like Amy realizing her clothes were still out when Ledo came to visit Bebel
HybridMBLApr 29, 2013 5:22 AM
Apr 28, 2013 10:24 AM
Jun 2010
I'm a question mark with this series... Is this really Urobuchis work???
Apr 28, 2013 10:28 AM

Dec 2010
Yea not much action and kinda slow, but it was still a great episode. Plus this anime definitely has the best and most consistent artwork/graphics of any show this season, if not in the entire history of anime (that I've seen). Even if the story was shit, I'd keep watching it for the graphics.

But the premise of the show, and how it's carried it out so far is really great. I thought it was gonna be an action anime but it's clearly not (though that is one of its attracting elements) - it's about a child soldier adapting to a civilian lifestyle. The flashback really started to humanize Ledo for me, until now he was just a meh protagonist without any emotions.

I'm guessing the kid in the flashback was his little brother. Was the little brother killed off because he had a defect?
Apr 28, 2013 10:34 AM

Sep 2012
Its subbed noww yeahh
Apr 28, 2013 10:37 AM
Jul 2012
Looks like it would be a boring episode.
Apr 28, 2013 10:40 AM

Apr 2011
Nice episode!

Apr 28, 2013 10:44 AM

Jul 2011
I love that Redo is constantly baffled by the actions of the humans.

Who was the other white hair person? Twin? Brother?

Love this series so far. Not disappointed at all. :D
Apr 28, 2013 10:44 AM

May 2009
Dolitza said:

It's Murata's idea with Uro's help with script. Don't expect all his typical traits.
Apr 28, 2013 10:45 AM

Mar 2011
Them tears ;__;

5/5
Apr 28, 2013 10:46 AM

Mar 2013
Downloading! :D
Apr 28, 2013 10:53 AM

Aug 2011
I just really love Gargantia because it's a nice, calming, but can sometimes be exciting anime (like the last episode, for example). Gargantia knows what it's doing and it's going at it. I'm just really enjoying this show. The characters are pretty well built as well (it's still character building, and we're only on the fourth episode, so just so far).

When Ledo was talking to Bebel I felt myself choke up and I don't even know why. Probably the entire mood of the conversation (and Ledo crying ;___;).

5/5
Apr 28, 2013 10:56 AM

Jan 2010
Not much action in this episode, but its a good thing to know Ledo past..
Awww..Ledo is crying and make me want to comfort him...T-T. What a hard life Ledo had gone through..
AoiMizuApr 28, 2013 11:17 AM

Apr 28, 2013 11:03 AM

Jul 2012
Nice calm episode, but the end part is well done. It made me actually care for his situation and the disparity between two different people.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Apr 28, 2013 11:04 AM

Apr 2011
Is it just me or is there really no 1080p this time from HorribleSubs?
Apr 28, 2013 11:05 AM

Aug 2008
First second in the episode I thought: 'if they use Chamber to move some stuff around I don't care anymore'. And then I see Chamber moving boxes... And somehow I doubt they would order Ledo around like that knowing what he's capable of.

Rest of the episode more or less made up for it but this show has some huge 'mood swings'. At one moment it's interesting and entertaining just to suddenly slap you in the face with some terrible cliche or illogical development. It can still be either very good or painfully mediocre. I have mixed feelings about this. As mixed as the show itself.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 28, 2013 11:07 AM

Sep 2012
Who is that? Ledo's older brother? o.o
Amy was listening to them.. Ledo cried... ;________;

This is really a refreshing show..
Apr 28, 2013 11:16 AM

Jun 2011
Unquestionably one of the best shows I've seen so far. Loving the concept and the detail and effort put into characterization and the show of different cultures colliding. This weeks episode was also a really good one, with the ending (like last episode) being the highlight of the episode once again. For me at least. Can't wait for the next one!
If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
Apr 28, 2013 11:19 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
Seeing Ledo slowly finding the humanity within himself I find really fascinating. His way of life and thinking previously has been very clear cut so it's understandable to see how he thinks the Gargantia's way of life is odd.

I'm also enjoying the little details you can easily miss if you're not paying attention like Amy realizing her clothes were still out when Ledo came to visit Bebel

Beautiful and relaxing episode. You really get to see the difference in thinking between him and the people on Earth. Basically he thinks of everything in terms of utility and will always listen to the authority. I cried for some unknown reason when Ledo started crying, maybe because the flute song had a sentimental feel to it or maybe because Ledo seems to remember something about his past, and it was his first time crying ;__;
Apr 28, 2013 11:24 AM

Jul 2012
Alright, I think I know, after this episode, who's gonna get killed off first.

Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Apr 28, 2013 11:25 AM

Jan 2012
Pretty touching episode loved the really colorful intro and backdrops. Especially like Ledo's reaction when it started raining, and those tears ;_; This really feels too soft for UroButcher at the moment but we had a lot of death at the start and I'm expecting something to kick off at some point. It has to.

So far it's fun watching an outsider discover humanity 4/5
Apr 28, 2013 11:27 AM

Feb 2013
A nice laid-back episode. I like that even if it's 12 episodes, it tried to give characters some depth.
Apr 28, 2013 11:28 AM

May 2012
Nice ep.

Looks like Ledo is a clone.
Apr 28, 2013 11:29 AM

Oct 2007
Dolitza said:

He's only written episode 1 so far, something I've tried to repeat to people many times. We'll probably know when he's writing again and I expect it to coincide with whenever the Alliance or Hideauze emerge again. I think he's specifically handling those parts of the stories while other guest writers are handling the life on Gargantia elements. Probably for the best as his character interactions tend to be very wooden, stiff and full of jargon and these current sets of episodes need a touch of lightheartedness and an intimate feel to work, which isn't one of his strengths as a writer going by Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass and yes even at times Madoka Magica.

Another decent and necessary episode, but honestly I'm still not crazy head over heels in love with this story as many and don't really see anything that makes this show super special that it rises above everything else either. It's still quite good though and has it's own little niche this season. I'm also liking Ledo a little more as a character as things go along. Being on Gargantia has already started to humanize him a bit compared to how he was in the first episode, but judging by the way the Alliance society is set up that depersonalization and inhuman factor of his is very much deliberate.
PeacingOutApr 28, 2013 11:34 AM
Apr 28, 2013 11:30 AM

Jan 2011
Meh.
Apr 28, 2013 11:40 AM

Jan 2010
PoeticJustice said:
Nice ep.

Looks like Ledo is a clone.

wow..that will be DEEP......but its not impossible as most space people got sliver hair and purple eyes..

Apr 28, 2013 11:44 AM

Feb 2012
So his future self played the song of time and gave his younger self the ocarina.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2013 11:44 AM

Dec 2011
That was a calm episode. Was nice to see Ledo's background.
So Earth really became desolated, even the knowledge wasn't be able to be salvaged. Really interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2013 11:47 AM

Aug 2010
Raikenzera said:

Omfg I will cry if they pull that shit.
Anyways, fantastic episode.
Apr 28, 2013 11:48 AM

Feb 2009
Woah, were Ledo comes from they operate Nazi's style don't they? Get rid of the weak, but then again to survive they have no choice to get rid of excess baggage when resource might be scarce.

I like the background story, we get to know more about how life in space, in perspective Ledo is just like Chamber a useful tools for his society. I wish to know more about this society of is.
Apr 28, 2013 11:54 AM

Feb 2013
Raikenzera said:

I don't "think" that anything like that will happen in this series.. I think this episode is really helped to "de program" Ledo honestly. He's not used to friends, affection, anything like that.
Apr 28, 2013 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
I guess there is some hope to keep this interesting.
Apr 28, 2013 11:57 AM

Aug 2010
I guess if you are breeding and training ideal soldiers, you order them in bulk. Why one supersoldier when you can have a platoon.

I really liked this episode. Ledo trying to learn more (and his japanese got a bit better) and learns a bit about life that is so different from the one he lived before.

The artstyle is still super beautiful. Def one of my favs this season.

And I love how hard Amy's friends are shipping her and Ledo XD
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Apr 28, 2013 11:59 AM

Aug 2010
Loved it! Really liking Ledo's development.
Man the way that the alliance lives seems like robots with no free will at all.

Loved the rain scene. Felt Ledo's emotions really well there.
Also his conversation with Bebel was really nice. I think it changed his way of thinking quite a lot.

Can't wait to see what happens nxt.
Apr 28, 2013 12:02 PM

Mar 2013
Wordsmith said:
And I love how hard Amy's friends are shipping her and Ledo XD

A not-so-subtle hint to the viewers, heh. I was already shipping them from episode 1 anyway <3

Looks like that little boy in the flashback was either Ledo's brother or a defective younger clone he got close to and then died. It's not too far a stretch to imagine this is foreshadowing Bebel's death...
Apr 28, 2013 12:07 PM

Nov 2012
I love watching this anime. I wish they made it longer.
Apr 28, 2013 12:12 PM

Jan 2013
I don't think the Alliance finding Earth again will end so well..

On that note that government seems like a very screwed up version of Starship troopers, and makes me wonder if the war even has any justification or purpose.

Still while it felt like a filler ep not a bad one.
Apr 28, 2013 12:14 PM

Mar 2012
I liked this episode a lot! 5/5
Apr 28, 2013 12:18 PM

Jul 2009
i love how they consider 'ancient technology' as something extremely advanced and that it was able to take them up to the skies (i.e. technology we have now - sort of). maybe millions of years ago, humans with gundams lived and the dinosaurs were their pets LOL.
Apr 28, 2013 12:24 PM

Feb 2011
I liked the character development this episode.
Apr 28, 2013 12:35 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was great! Ledo's learning a new language really fast, he's helping out, and he's beginning to look at things in a different way.

I loved how Ledo has slowly begun to consider these new perspectives like family, the use of disabled people, and just living. But, it made me little sad because even though no one was trying to make Ledo seem like some one-minded soldier, you could tell it was getting to him. How the doctor, Bebel, and everyone else explained and reacted was just how I would, but it also made me a bit sad for Ledo. He's never made a decision of what to do with his life. He's never had a before, or afterwards, or sooner or later choice. He's never been face to face with a disabled/sick/weak person and been able to realize that you can't just tell another human that they're worthless and of no need. It's not possible because literally everyone has some use and if Ledo were entirely composed of just military propaganda, he wouldn't have been able to link it to that boy he knew in the flashback- the one who made the flute. Ledo's never had a family or had anyone who needed him nor has he ever needed anyone, but I think that was the main realization that sort of jabbed a tiny hole into his heart and somewhat altered his thoughts (or as Chamber said: "Your brainwaves are changing").

Also, concerning the whole military-style of thought, it kind of reminds me of Orwell's 1984 slogans of WAR is PEACE, and here it seems to be true in Ledo's case. His constant everyday routine, his thoughts, and his sense of peace- of there being nothing out of place- is to be in a constant state of war. I suspect the other two slogans: FREEDOM is SLAVERY and IGNORANCE is STRENGTH have been utilized by Ledo's government system as well. After all, all that he's known about Earth is actually factual information that no one's bothered to update. After all, whosoever controls the past controls the future...

More importantly, Ledo was called a hottie! For some odd reason I feel really proud and like saying, "I know right?!" to those girls =P They'll be fun characters to watch later on.

As for Chamber, I wonder if he's running out of energy? How did that rope easily tie around him? And what does he run on anyways? Electricity? If he's really that advanced, I think it has to do with some super advanced battery. But it also seems like he has his flaws, because the orb that appears above him, allowing him to float, appears to allow him to maneuver in various ways. However, if that orb is disabled or perhaps tied like it was with the rope, he falls and can't move. Hmm, this may present a problem later on.

Finally, I found the rain scene to be a nice symbolism of a refreshing beginning for Ledo. His tears also came soon after, and I felt myself tearing up a bit. It's hard not to want to just sit by Ledo the whole day and just talk to him. He has the potential to go beyond everything that he's been restricted in, and I really hope we'll be able to see this whole journey where he'll develop his individuality. All in all, I hope we'll be able to see Ledo smile- preferably in the next episode and the ones after that too =)
SpiraiApr 28, 2013 1:36 PM
Apr 28, 2013 12:44 PM

Nov 2009
"I spy the handsome guy" omfg
And Bebel is such a gogdamn cutie.
To me this show is the best of the season.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.