Forum Settings
Forums

How rare/often is it for animes to get 3rd seasons?

New
Apr 26, 2013 1:57 PM

Aug 2009
Just wondering ;__; ...

Im currently in this state where Im watching the 2nd season of a show (CHIHAYAFURU) and as the episodes left gets smaller and smaller, I get more worried that the show isnt gonna end up complete...

I know I can always read the manga, but to me ITS NOT THE SAME T___T </3

So in my opinion, I dont see it often to see shows get third seasons, but it is possible T.T.. Does anyone want to enlighten me on the possible possibilities? ;__;

I really love Chihayafuru (btw, check it out! such a great show ;__; http://myanimelist.net/anime/10800/Chihayafuru) but the main character herself set up many goals for herself where to me I feel wont be completed by the little amount we have left till the end of the show Q___Q..

I can pray in my heart for a 3rd season, but exactly how often does that happen? T___T
Apr 26, 2013 2:00 PM

Jun 2007
I'll answer specifically for Chihayafuru.

Chihayafuru's anime is strictly done as a way to promote the manga - the show sells almost nothing in terms of BD and DVD, and Madhouse is basically making nothing from it. They only got paid to do a season 2 because of how hugely popular season 1 made the manga. The chances of a season 3 are kind of slim. Season 2 happening at all was a miracle, so a third is pushing it. I'd love to have it keep going, but it's unlikely. Though, it's actually a pretty popular show for it's type, so it's not impossible either.

There are two types of shows: those meant to sell BD/DVDs, and those meant to simply help promote manga. Chihayafuru is the latter, and those types typically barely see more than a short 1 season.
Apr 26, 2013 2:00 PM

Oct 2012
Seeing that the manga is still on-going, third Season is likely to happen. Of course depending on how much money the anime adaption makes.
Apr 26, 2013 2:14 PM

Jul 2012
It depends on the sales and the studio doing it, of course.

Take Hidamari Sketch for example. The first season is, to my knowledge, the worst selling season in the franchise. Yet, it was able to dish out not only quite a few extra BD episodes, but also an additional three season, with a possible season five/OVA coming afterwards. Of course, as Hidamari's seasons went on and the quality of the show increased, so did the sales. Plus Shaft doesn't really give a fuck and will animate whatever.

This is just one example, shows getting 3+ seasons all depends on the publisher (NOT the studio), the sales, the ratings, or the manga sales. Shows like Precure that get good TV ratings get the 10 seasons that it has. While shows like K-On!!, despite having great sales, don't continue on for a season three. It just all depends.
Apr 26, 2013 2:22 PM

Jan 2012
I dunno ask bakuman and FMP
Apr 26, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2013
ihateeveryone said:
This is just one example, shows getting 3+ seasons all depends on the publisher (NOT the studio), the sales, the ratings, or the manga sales. Shows like Precure that get good TV ratings get the 10 seasons that it has. While shows like K-On!!, despite having great sales, don't continue on for a season three. It just all depends.

Basically, your answer right here.
Apr 26, 2013 3:29 PM

Jun 2012
Lulexiaa said:

I really love Chihayafuru (btw, check it out! such a great show ;__; http://myanimelist.net/anime/10800/Chihayafuru)

I think everyone's seen it...

But yeah, I heard Chihayafuru got pretty poor BD sales.... Just read the manga.
Stuff like Naruto gets into the tens of seasons though... So pretty high chances.

renders said:
I dunno ask bakuman

Bakuman could get 10 seasons if they wanted given the authors.
Apr 26, 2013 3:30 PM

Jun 2007
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Lulexiaa said:

I really love Chihayafuru (btw, check it out! such a great show ;__; http://myanimelist.net/anime/10800/Chihayafuru)

I think everyone's seen it...

But yeah, I heard Chihayafuru got pretty poor BD sales.... Just read the manga.

Chihayafuru was planned to make low sales because it's not a series aiming for marketing itself - but the manga, and the manga sales went WAY up after season 1 began. So it was actually extremely successful, even more than most other anime that aired it's same season, it's just a harder to measure quantity and not really comparable due to the entirely different goals.
Apr 26, 2013 3:31 PM
Apr 2010
Moe and ecchi - Guaranteed to have 2 or more seasons
Other stuff - Up in the air
Apr 26, 2013 3:31 PM

Jun 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:

Chihayafuru's anime is strictly done as a way to promote the manga - the show sells almost nothing in terms of BD and DVD, and Madhouse is basically making nothing from it.

Wait, Chihayafuru isn't popular? o__o
Apr 26, 2013 3:33 PM

Jun 2007
Chibi-Alice said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Chihayafuru's anime is strictly done as a way to promote the manga - the show sells almost nothing in terms of BD and DVD, and Madhouse is basically making nothing from it.

Wait, Chihayafuru isn't popular? o__o

It is hugely popular and made the manga sales go up exponentially. The DVD/BD don't sell because the major audience are not those who typically buy those sorts of things though, which is why they went in entirely knowing it wouldn't sell and the show was made specifically to raise manga awareness and interest. The publishers are making a lot of money from the franchise thanks to the show - just not through DVD/BD sales, and so season 2 came to be, and again season 3 is possible too. In this specific case, it's raised awareness and respect for Karuta as well - which was extremely niche even in Japan as a sport.

Even Nodame and Honey and Clover, both of which are fucking amazingly popular - especially Nodame, sold like shit if I recall. Yet it became so hugely popular that it went on for 3 seasons, the manga sold shit tons, and it even got 3 full seasons of live action along with 2 full length feature films airing in real theaters in Japan. It's just how most josei anime is - because most people in that demographic aren't the type who buy anime but do buy manga. So the DVD/BD sales mean absolutely nothing, which is why it's kind of silly when people use those as a way of measuring popularity.

There are things like K-ON which aim to sell merchandise, DVDs, and BDs - then there are things that serve to give more recognition to the franchise and raise it's income indirectly rather than through anime sales. So you can't really tell popularity based on how well the anime adaptation sells.
TallonKarrde23Apr 26, 2013 3:43 PM
Apr 30, 2013 6:32 PM

Aug 2009
Thank you so much for the answers guys ; u ; <3

I guess the only thing to do is really pray and hope in my heart...
TallonKarrde23 you really give me some hope ; u ;

I truly love watching animes than the manga because I love hearing their voices and hearing the osts in the background, but I guess reading the manga isnt all that bad. ; o ;

I just wish I could see Chihaya be queen animated >~<
Apr 30, 2013 6:34 PM

Apr 2012
Not rare enough I say.
Apr 30, 2013 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
ihateeveryone said:
Plus Shaft doesn't really give a fuck and will animate whatever.

The truth and always the truth.
Apr 30, 2013 8:58 PM

Dec 2011
Pretty often if the series is popular enough.
Apr 30, 2013 9:03 PM

Aug 2012
NiN10d0h said:
Moe and ecchi - Guaranteed to have 2 or more seasons
Other stuff - Up in the air
I wish I could dispute this, but day by day I keep seeing those new season announcements.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jun 17, 2013 9:11 PM

Aug 2009
with 2 episodes left Im sad...

and as I face reality..

Im a person that goes on MAL on my panel to see the recent new anime news everyday and honestly...

How often do you read _____ is getting a Third season Q__Q
Jun 17, 2013 9:24 PM

Nov 2012
it is all depends at how good the story.. the art.. the ecchi level..
for me I cant say if it is rare or often.. because, take a look at zero no tsukaima anime.. it has 4 season.. because it is ecchi.. :/ but the story is not that good :/

then,
kara no kyoukai.. the story is good even has 7 season XD
or fate/stay series.. the story is good too..

so it is all depends on ecchi level, art, and story
Jun 17, 2013 9:45 PM

Sep 2011
Spice and Wolf 3... Where is it... Why did you have to make this thread... Why did you have to remind me...

SPICE AND WOLF 3 WHERE ARE YOU!?
Jun 17, 2013 9:48 PM

Aug 2011
makarov52 said:

then,
kara no kyoukai.. the story is good even has 7 season XD

Movies =/= seasons.

As for the question, it all depends on the series really. If it sells well, it will get more seasons. Look at Monogatari for an example, the third season hasn't even aired yet and we already have confirmation that there will be more seasons, because they can pretty much guarantee it will destroy pretty much any other series as far as sales go.
Jun 17, 2013 10:01 PM

Nov 2007
Depends on the sales of the Anime BD/DVD and/or merchandise sales and/or the source material sales. Every anime adaptation is done to advertise the source material. If it ends up selling well (10k+) on BD/DVD as well, then it's a big win-win for the franchise tbh.

Chihayafuru 2 sold just above the Manabi Line (2,899), which is traditionally considered the break-even point for anime with around average production costs. So it has little chance of another season with just BD/DVD sales alone. The boost to the source material (which is the manga) was quite big, which is why it even got a second season in the first place.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jun 17, 2013 10:02 PM

Aug 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

Ah, so that explains why the animation is all over the place and only the important bits are the ones that are animated with care. I was wondering why it's so sloppy.
Jun 17, 2013 10:06 PM

Apr 2013
I need Haruhi and K-on season 3
Jun 17, 2013 10:18 PM

Jun 2008
RyanTheRandom said:

K-ON! might happen....but who knows...

Haruhi....I doubt it, especially since Aya Slutbag doesn't do seiyuu work anymore.
Jun 17, 2013 10:24 PM

Jun 2009
JustALEX said:
RyanTheRandom said:

Haruhi....I doubt it, especially since Aya Slutbag doesn't do seiyuu work anymore.

Why the hell would Haruhi not be continued just because of a seiyuu?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 17, 2013 10:32 PM

Aug 2011
JustALEX said:
RyanTheRandom said:

But she does do seiyuu work.
Jun 17, 2013 10:39 PM

Jun 2008
insan3soldiern said:
Why the hell would Haruhi not be continued just because of a seiyuu?

I'm not saying it won't....I'm saying I doubt it.

mitch3315 said:

From what I've heard she doesn't take new seiyuu jobs, is she even doing anything right now?

I thought she was gone...
Jun 17, 2013 10:56 PM

Aug 2011
JustALEX said:

mitch3315 said:

From what I've heard she doesn't take new seiyuu jobs, is she even doing anything right now?

She was in Hunter X Hunter.

She'll be in the third season of Recorder to Randoseru.

Though she was only a supporting role in those series, she will be a main in Jewel Pet Happiness. There would be nothing stopping KyoAni from bring her back if they decided to do more Haruhi.
Jun 17, 2013 10:59 PM

Jun 2008
mitch3315 said:
JustALEX said:

mitch3315 said:

Though she was only a supporting role in those series, she will be a main in Jewel Pet Happiness. There would be nothing stopping KyoAni from bring her back if they decided to do more Haruhi.

Hmm...then I guess this is no longer in effect?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=291505

^LOL, take a look at the first comment of that thread.

HAHAHAHA!
Jun 17, 2013 11:13 PM

Aug 2011
JustALEX said:
mitch3315 said:
JustALEX said:

mitch3315 said:

Hmm...then I guess this is no longer in effect?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=291505

Looks like it.

^LOL, take a look at the first comment of that thread.

HAHAHAHA!

What an idiot that guy is...
Jun 17, 2013 11:17 PM

Jun 2008
mitch3315 said:
Looks like it.

:(

mitch3315 said:
What an idiot that guy is...

:P

XD
Jun 19, 2013 1:49 AM
Feb 2013
OriginANIME said:
Spice and Wolf 3... Where is it... Why did you have to make this thread... Why did you have to remind me...

I know how you feel. You are not alone!
Jun 19, 2013 3:48 AM

Jun 2013
Fehliks said:
OriginANIME said:

I know how you feel. You are not alone!

yea i am whit you and + all light novels aren't translated to english yet :(
Jun 19, 2013 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
If it's an anime I like, it won't ever get a season 3, if it's an anime I absolutely hate it will.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 19, 2013 4:12 AM

May 2012
I need Haruhi season 3, Spice and Wolf season 3 and FMP The THIRD raid!!!!!!

mitch3315 said:
JustALEX said:

mitch3315 said:

She's also playing a major new character on Gintama!! KYON AND HARUHI TOGETHER AGAIN!!!!
Jun 19, 2013 5:59 PM

Aug 2009
//forever crying with the lost hopes of Chihayafuru season 3 Q___Q
Jun 19, 2013 6:07 PM

Jan 2008
SteampunkDalek said:

Watch us get both season 2 and 3 of Free! before any of those. Lmao.
Jun 19, 2013 6:11 PM

Feb 2010
season 3's are like once in a blue moon :'(
i know some older shows managed to pull it of

example
ah my goddess look at its season count look at it!

gundam universal century did it 4 season and a bunch of movies.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 19, 2013 6:20 PM

Sep 2011
SteampunkDalek said:

mitch3315 said:
JustALEX said:

mitch3315 said:

She's also playing a major new character on Gintama!!
I wouldnt say major, she only appears in serious gintama arcs from the looks of it and is mainly silent.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 19, 2013 6:20 PM

Apr 2013
baka and test 3

And Rosario and Vampire Capu3

Too many anime end at 2 with no conclusion. It drives me nuts.
Jun 19, 2013 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
let's see anime that need a season 3

spice and wolf
madaka box
ika musme
black lagoon ova does not count
Full Metal Panic!
Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
Sekirei
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 19, 2013 6:33 PM

Nov 2012
I know that feel bro,
there are so many shows that deserve season 3,
but things always don't go as we please :(
Jun 21, 2013 11:07 PM
Mar 2013
This anime isn't an anime that people like most. then I think it isn't popular enough to make ss3.refer to BD/DVD volume sales.

I know how you feel 'cause I feel the same.I like chihayafuru and want them to make ss3 either.

let's hope together! I believe someday our hope will reach to them LOL.
Jun 21, 2013 11:17 PM

Mar 2013
Eh, you should of left out the name of the Anime you hope gets a 3rd season, because by doing that people would actually be talking about the title of what we're suppose to be talking about. Everybody is talking about the Anime you mentioned instead of the topic. But oh well...

Since I'll actually talk about the topic instead of the Anime you all are talking about. From a lot of Animes I have watched, SEVERAL never go past the 2nd season for whatever reason. There are probably a number of things that make it that way. But one hypothesis is they crank out SO many new Animes a year, no wonder all sorts of Animes never make it past their 2nd season. Because everyone gets bored and wants to watch the newest Anime. It's kinda like CBS and those kind of channels. EVERY fall they crank out like what? 3-7 new shows. No wonder the shows that came out the previous year, or couple of years get cancelled.

I honestly can't say how many TV channels Japan has for Anime, probably a lot really. But from what I've seen in American TV channels. When they come out with only 1 or no new TV shows in the upcoming year, the previous shows actually do well. Take Syfy for example: EVERY FUCKING SHOW ALMOST NEVER GETS COMPLETED!!! Like no joke, about 70% of all shows on that channel never hits the end of what the director wants. Because Syfy pumps out SEVERAL shows a year, and the previous just get canceled. It's very sad and frustrating. That is why I'm liking Netflix of them coming out with TV Shows, because they're actually successful, and Netflix actually knows what they're doing, unlike TV Channels seem to do.

But yeah, that's one hypothesis of why Animes never get to their 3rd season or more. I just find it sad, because a lot of great ones never make it past their 2nd season... :/
Escape to the World of Anime is a great Facebook page. Different than the mainstream ones. Plus we are more of a community instead of a page that ignores its fans. Go check us out!
Jun 23, 2013 8:34 AM

Apr 2013
There's so many animes right there that needs attention for season 3 like...

baka to test
to aru majutsu no index
sora no otoshimono
kore wa zombie desu ka?

and a lot more..

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

20 by Jutrio »»
3 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

43 by Jutrio »»
5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 5 hours ago

3 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 9 hours ago

31 by Jutrio »»
7 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

47 by Ende_uraa »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.